Accept Jesus, Get A Server

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Accept Jesus, Get A Server

Subject line says it all.  The Rational Response Squad needs to recruit more Christians so they can get a new server.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Quote:
מֹות יוּמָתוּ

Yeah, doesn't say "put to death", does it.  It says they die.  What happens when two people of the same sex screw? 

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Get your head out of the KJV.

here, i'll help him do just that.

JPS translation, used by most reform and conservative congregations:

13 If a man lies with a male as one lies with a woman, the two of them have done an abhorrent thing; they shall be put to death — their bloodguilt is upon them.

stone edition translation from artscroll, used by most orthodox congregations:

13 A man who lies with a man as one lies with a woman, they have both done an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon themselves.

obviously, "put to death" is deemed the best english translation in terms of conveying the intended meaning by all three major jewish denominations.  you yourself are a self-described conservative with orthodox leanings.  i'm not sure which translation most reconstructionists use, but i'm guessing it's JPS.  so it seems pretty much every jewish authority in the english-speaking world deems "put to death" the best translation--just FurryCatHerder, likely for personal reasons, does not.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Oh Furry It's been alot of

Oh Furry It's been alot of fun ( I'm lying ) but banging my head against a brick wall is much more fun than continuing a discourse with you.  Enjoy crossing swords with all the other evil atheists here on RRS  ..I'm done with youShalom !

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

WhatEvah.  My right hand is on my left tit.  Where your hand will never be!

That's not a problem, I prefer "tits" as original equipment, not created as an afterthought.

Sure.  Let's go with that.

Quote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:

See, this is how you do it -- you decontextualize everything.

Project much ?

Great.  You're channeling Vastet now.

You can't take events out of their context, otherwise there are no rules because too many actions are only valid within some specific context.

Quote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:
  Well, I suggest you learn to read Hebrew. 

I suggest you learn to read English.

Why?  You're quoting a book written in Hebrew.  How about you learn to read the language of the text you're quoting, instead of giving me words in the wrong language?

Quote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:
Yeah, doesn't say "put to death", does it.  It says they die.  What happens when two people of the same sex screw?  No babies.  Okay, maybe some spit babies, but the family tree dies.

Semantics......  and what is with you and this same sex / babies schtick ?  Perhaps you should work harder at concealing your neuroses ?

You brought up the issue of "Jews must kill teh gays because invisible sky daddy says so."  The language isn't "put to death".  Consider that in Genesis 2:17 the penalty for each The Forbidden Fruit was also "die".  Yet we know that they didn't "die", in the literal physical sense, right then and there.  Over in Genesis 3:7, beyond, they suddenly discovered they were naked.  And in Genesis 3:8, they keeled over dead, and G-d had to do it all over again.

No?

Yeah, didn't happen that way.  So it can't mean "gonna gotta kill 'em".

Quote:
furryCatHerder wrote:
You know that "adam" isn't a proper name, right?  Do you have ancestors?  You sure as heck better, or you're in a big pile of poop.

Yes,  ( sighs) ...I have ancestors, my presence here on this forum tends to confirm that doesn't it ?     Nevertheless,  did Adam and Eve exist or is it simply more Jewish fairy tales ?

I'm a Liberal Jew.  I vote "allegorical story intended to teach a morality tale."  Especially since it says back in Genesis 1:27 that "man and woman" were created at the same time.

Quote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:
   And lemme lay some more Hebrew on you -- 

Oh please, not again

FurryCatHerder wrote:
עַל־הָאָֽרֶץ

Yeah, that doesn't say "world-wide" either.

Yes semantics is utterly captivating,  yet a more important question would be is any portion of this flood story actually true ?  ( or is it more Jewish fairy tales ? )

Years ago I'd have voted for "allegorical story", but the more scientists keep finding catastrophic floods caused by ice dams and other such things, the more I'm inclined to believe some of these might just be true.

Quote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:
Get your head out of the KJV.  Much less interesting that the original.

No, actually one book of religious fantasy is about as worthless as any other.

Suit yourself!

But you're going to keep getting Hebrew thrown at you!

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

WhatEvah.  My right hand is on my left tit.  Where your hand will never be!

That's not a problem, I prefer "tits" as original equipment, not created as an afterthought.

Quote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:

See, this is how you do it -- you decontextualize everything.

Project much ?

Great.  You're channeling Vastet now.

You can't take events out of their context, otherwise there are no rules because too many actions are only valid within some specific context.

Quote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:
  Well, I suggest you learn to read Hebrew. 

I suggest you learn to read English.

Why?  You're quoting a book written in Hebrew.  How about you learn to read the language of the text you're quoting, instead of giving me words in the wrong language?

Quote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:
Yeah, doesn't say "put to death", does it.  It says they die.  What happens when two people of the same sex screw?  No babies.  Okay, maybe some spit babies, but the family tree dies.

Semantics......  and what is with you and this same sex / babies schtick ?  Perhaps you should work harder at concealing your neuroses ?

You brought up the issue of "Jews must kill teh gays because invisible sky daddy says so."  The language isn't "put to death".  Consider that in Genesis 2:17 the penalty for each The Forbidden Fruit was also "die".  Yet we know that they didn't "die", in the literal physical sense, right then and there.  Over in Genesis 3:7, beyond, they suddenly discovered they were naked.  And in Genesis 3:8, they keeled over dead, and G-d had to do it all over again.

No?

Yeah, didn't happen that way.  So it can't mean "gonna gotta kill 'em".

Quote:
furryCatHerder wrote:
You know that "adam" isn't a proper name, right?  Do you have ancestors?  You sure as heck better, or you're in a big pile of poop.

Yes,  ( sighs) ...I have ancestors, my presence here on this forum tends to confirm that doesn't it ?     Nevertheless,  did Adam and Eve exist or is it simply more Jewish fairy tales ?

I'm a Liberal Jew.  I vote "allegorical story intended to teach a morality tale."  Especially since it says back in Genesis 1:27 that "man and woman" were created at the same time.

Quote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:
   And lemme lay some more Hebrew on you -- 

Oh please, not again

FurryCatHerder wrote:
עַל־הָאָֽרֶץ

Yeah, that doesn't say "world-wide" either.

Yes semantics is utterly captivating,  yet a more important question would be is any portion of this flood story actually true ?  ( or is it more Jewish fairy tales ? )

Years ago I'd have voted for "allegorical story", but the more scientists keep finding catastrophic floods caused by ice dams and other such things, the more I'm inclined to believe some of these might just be true.

Quote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:
Get your head out of the KJV.  Much less interesting that the original.

No, actually one book of religious fantasy is about as worthless as any other.

Suit yourself!

But you're going to keep getting Hebrew thrown at you!

1. Deal with what iwbiek put forward before you start tossing out more Hebrew, please. 

2. "Catastrophic floods"? Yep. Worldwide catastrophic floods with water significantly above the highest mountains (even the ones they knew)? Not so much.

3.  A capricious deity punishes his creation for doing something he considered "evil" without telling said creation about "good" or "evil" and the difference between them. What moral lesson does the story of the "fall of man" teach?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:redneF

FurryCatHerder wrote:

redneF wrote:

Didn't know that. The Jews that I know always say 'God Bless', and from what I understand, believe in the Old Testament.

What religion are you exactly, and what are your beliefs about the cosmos, what happens after death, etc...?

Nope, no "Thou Shalt Believe in G-d (with or without an 'o')" commandment.  Commanding belief is impossible, just as commanding (or suggesting, or recommending, or whatever) disbelief is impossible.  I believe in G-d because I do.  The nature of my beliefs in G-d are probably a large part of why I believe in G-d.  Come up with a proof G-d doesn't exist and I'll accept it.  That being completely impossible, don't waste my time trying.  No, I mean it actually =is= impossible.  Really.

Jews believe in the Hebrew Bible, book-wise.  Calling it the "Old Testament" is very insulting, and extremely inaccurate.  What Christians did to the Hebrew texts should be illegal, but for the most part it's just dishonest.

I'm nominally a Conservative Jew, with some Orthodox leanings.

Let's see.

I believe G-d created the Universe from nothingness.  Bible says so, science agrees on the "from not a whole lot of anything", and that's good enough for me.  I like science.  If G-d decided "Evolution it is!", I'm not going to argue.  That would be just plain stupid -- G-d can do anything and Evolution is a part of "anything."

Theologically, I believe in panentheism.  That is, the Universe exists within G-d.  There are texts which suggest that G-d recreates the entire Universe, instant by instant, and some of the quantum mechanical research show that nothing really "is", and that from instant to instant, things go from "being" to "not being" to "being" all over again.

I have no clue what happens after death -- G-d didn't tell us.  I hope things work out, but I don't "do" what I do thinking I'm going to get magical presents from Sky Daddy, or go to Magic Sky Wonderworld when I'm dead.  I do them because I believe living my life the way I do makes this a better planet.  Since I've managed to reproduce, I'd like to leave this a better world for my descendants.  It's all about the DNA and making sure my DNA has as good a go of it as possible.

If there is a Heaven, I believe there will be more ethical Atheists than hypocritical Christians up there.  And if there is a Hell, I believe there will be fewer ethical Atheists than hypocritical Christians.  I'm a "it matters what you do, not what you believe" kinda gal.  If you're a dick, you go to Hell (assuming it exists), if you treat people humanely, you go to Heaven (if it exists).  Anything else is stupid and cruel and any deity who'd do otherwise should be told to get lost.

In Judaism, it really is more important to treat people right than to do all the things other religions seem to think are important.  For example, Yom Kippur is only about the sins we commit against G-d.  If I sin against some neighbor, I'm responsible for fixing that.  Neither G-d nor my Rabbi can fix it.

Judaism also doesn't attempt to convert people.  You don't want to be a Jew?  Fine by me, at least be a decent human being.  You want to become a Jew?  Why would you ever want to do such a thing?  No, really -- why do you want to be a Jew?  Just be a decent human being.  You insist?  Sure, fine.  Welcome to the Tribe, just be sure to be a decent human being, okay?

That's it.  Pretty different from what you probably thought Judaism was all about, no?

If this is truly what you believe, then really our belief systems are pragmatically identical.  The only difference is that I say "I don't know" and you say "God did it" when it comes to the universe.  I have no problem with what you consider Judaism to be.  I assure you that is most DEFINITELY not what the Jewish people I know believe.  Basically you're saying that god may exist, and god may not exist but that won't make a difference as long as you're a decent human being.  My personal philosophy is the same.  So why do you bother with silly labels? Just be, and at least you don't waste your time on irrelevant rituals.  Take all that time that you go to church/temple or waste on chanting prayers and hanging sheep's blood on doors and volunteer at the old age home or homeless shelter.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:In the

FurryCatHerder wrote:
In the meantime, I'll note that same-sex couples tend not to have children between the two of them.  They are, by the very nature of same-sex couples, removed from the Tribe.  Go complain to G-d that two men or two women can't have children, who go on to continue that couple's legacy within the Tribe.  When you get back from telling G-d that two men or two women can't have children, and that's really unfair, you tell me what G-d said.  Deal?

But don't you believe god managed to get Sarah's overly-menopaused gefilte chute to start cranking out beytsim again?  Then why can't he manage it for Jerry & Kramer, or Gilda & Roseanne?  "Is anything too hard for the Lord?"

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:obviously, "put

iwbiek wrote:

obviously, "put to death" is deemed the best english translation in terms of conveying the intended meaning by all three major jewish denominations.  you yourself are a self-described conservative with orthodox leanings.  i'm not sure which translation most reconstructionists use, but i'm guessing it's JPS.  so it seems pretty much every jewish authority in the english-speaking world deems "put to death" the best translation--just FurryCatHerder, likely for personal reasons, does not.

I take a very rational view towards scriptural translations because one thing I know from linguistics, as well as from "morality tales", is that words may say one thing, but how they are implemented, vis a vis, Oral Law versus Written Law, is entirely different.

Or in other words, Jews aren't Sunni Muslims =or= Southern Baptists.  You should know from your non-existent study of the Torah, that we have a tradition that the Torah isn't =fixed=, in the same sense that fundamentalist Christians or most Muslims use a =fixed= translation.

In the case of all these "put to death" passages, there's simply no evidence that at any time in all of Jewish history, people were routinely put to death, as is the case in much of the (backwards end of the) Islamic world.

As you should know from your apparently non-existent study of the Talmud, only the Sanhedrin can hear capital cases, and the Sanhedrin, contrary to Christianity mythology, wasn't all that keen on putting anyone to death.

So it can't =actually= mean "put to death", in the absolutely literal sense.

A friend of mine who is an actual Orthodox Jew put it this way -- if the Jewish people is your entire life, and your family and community throws you out, what's the difference?

Even Rashi, whom you've apparently never read, says that Lev 20:13 refers to "insertion" (you should have Sapistein's Rashi lying around, or at least you read it, cover-to-cover, unless your lying about your Jew-ology degree).  As you know (or should) Judaism is a permissive religion -- whatever isn't forbidden, is permitted.

So you have three major hurdles --

1). Women aren't covered by "man lies with another man as with a woman".  No mention of women lying with women.

2). No history of executing much of anyone, especially running around chasing after gays and lesbians.

3). There's more to gay-boy sex than butt-sex, so it can't be -- see "Judaism is a permissive religion" -- all same-sex everything.  You might aso want to check out David Ha'Melech and Yonatan ben Saul ...

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:If this is truly

Ktulu wrote:
If this is truly what you believe, then really our belief systems are pragmatically identical.  The only difference is that I say "I don't know" and you say "God did it" when it comes to the universe.  I have no problem with what you consider Judaism to be.  I assure you that is most DEFINITELY not what the Jewish people I know believe.  Basically you're saying that god may exist, and god may not exist but that won't make a difference as long as you're a decent human being.  My personal philosophy is the same.  So why do you bother with silly labels? Just be, and at least you don't waste your time on irrelevant rituals.  Take all that time that you go to church/temple or waste on chanting prayers and hanging sheep's blood on doors and volunteer at the old age home or homeless shelter.  

Not sure what Jews you know, but I've hung with some pretty Orthodox Jews and the full range of "What Jews Believe" is rather broad.  Two Jews, three opinions.

Mind you, I have no doubt G-d exists.  But what you don't grasp is that the Jewish god-concept isn't like what Christians believe, where G-d (l'havil) is a puppeteer.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Ktulu

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

Not sure what Jews you know, but I've hung with some pretty Orthodox Jews and the full range of "What Jews Believe" is rather broad.  Two Jews, three opinions.

Mind you, I have no doubt G-d exists.  But what you don't grasp is that the Jewish god-concept isn't like what Christians believe, where G-d (l'havil) is a puppeteer.

Well, most Jews I know are jewelry store Jews.  That being said, my point was relative to wasted time on rituals by all religions.  In your typical religion, rituals are important because if you don't do them, you don't get a handjob from whatever deity you're supposed to dedicate the ritual to.  If you don't believe that the ritual is relevant, and you believe that being a good person is infinitely more relevant, it would seem counter productive to waste time on useless rituals when you can direct that time towards being a better person.  Actually, by that logic, you are losing points with your G-d, by wasting time on useless rituals.  If you took one bar mitzvah off to volunteer at the sick kids hospital your G-d would approve, and you would earn bonus points towards a possible heaven.  Following that, if you gave up all your useless rituals and just started a non profit organisation to help orphans you'd be rocking and rolling in heaven.  So why do you follow useless rituals? 

Edit: Jewelry store jews I mean to say that they're only Jewish in that they wear the star of david as jewelry, and like the social aspect of the religion vs anyone that put any real thought into it.

Also the conclusion I'm trying to stress is that by your logic, it would be EVIL to waste time on useless rituals.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:FurryCatHerder

Ktulu wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Well, most Jews I know are jewelry store Jews.  That being said, my point was relative to wasted time on rituals by all religions.  In your typical religion, rituals are important because if you don't do them, you don't get a handjob from whatever deity you're supposed to dedicate the ritual to.  If you don't believe that the ritual is relevant, and you believe that being a good person is infinitely more relevant, it would seem counter productive to waste time on useless rituals when you can direct that time towards being a better person.  Actually, by that logic, you are losing points with your G-d, by wasting time on useless rituals.  If you took one bar mitzvah off to volunteer at the sick kids hospital your G-d would approve, and you would earn bonus points towards a possible heaven.  Following that, if you gave up all your useless rituals and just started a non profit organisation to help orphans you'd be rocking and rolling in heaven.  So why do you follow useless rituals? 

Edit: Jewelry store jews I mean to say that they're only Jewish in that they wear the star of david as jewelry, and like the social aspect of the religion vs anyone that put any real thought into it.

Also the conclusion I'm trying to stress is that by your logic, it would be EVIL to waste time on useless rituals.

First, there is no "Hell" in Judaism.  No, really -- no "Hell" and not so clear on Heaven, much either.

As for those rituals, I do them for myself.  Whenever I had time and gas money to make it to shul on a regular basis, my frame of mind was much clearer.  These days I'm struggling to get a small business going and gas money is tight.  I'm sure G-d can do without my praying several times a day.  But still, I look forward to when business is good enough that I can get back to that.  And Yoga.  Yoga was helpful as well.

You might want to study the more Eastern religions and get away from the Western ones.  The Western ones are big on going to Hell for failing to give the deity their due.  Eastern religions are more about doing things to improve ones self or make the planet a better place.

According to some schools of thought, many of the more pointless practices serve as reminders for the more important social obligations.  For example, not trimming the corners of ones beard and not harvesting the corners of the field.

With no clearly defined "Hell", and no promise of universal bliss in "Heaven", Judaism isn't all about getting the goodies.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:iwbiek

FurryCatHerder wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

I take a very rational view towards scriptural translations because one thing I know from linguistics, as well as from "morality tales", is that words may say one thing, but how they are implemented, vis a vis, Oral Law versus Written Law, is entirely different.

Or in other words, Jews aren't Sunni Muslims =or= Southern Baptists.  You should know from your non-existent study of the Torah, that we have a tradition that the Torah isn't =fixed=, in the same sense that fundamentalist Christians or most Muslims use a =fixed= translation.

In the case of all these "put to death" passages, there's simply no evidence that at any time in all of Jewish history, people were routinely put to death, as is the case in much of the (backwards end of the) Islamic world.

As you should know from your apparently non-existent study of the Talmud, only the Sanhedrin can hear capital cases, and the Sanhedrin, contrary to Christianity mythology, wasn't all that keen on putting anyone to death.

A friend of mine who is an actual Orthodox Jew put it this way -- if the Jewish people is your entire life, and your family and community throws you out, what's the difference?

Even Rashi, whom you've apparently never read, says that Lev 20:13 refers to "insertion" (you should have Sapistein's Rashi lying around, or at least you read it, cover-to-cover, unless your lying about your Jew-ology degree).  As you know (or should) Judaism is a permissive religion -- whatever isn't forbidden, is permitted.

1). Women aren't covered by "man lies with another man as with a woman".  No mention of women lying with women.

2). No history of executing much of anyone, especially running around chasing after gays and lesbians.

3). There's more to gay-boy sex than butt-sex, so it can't be -- see "Judaism is a permissive religion" -- all same-sex everything.  You might aso want to check out David Ha'Melech and Yonatan ben Saul ...

you know what, i had a whole thing typed up but i'm just going to walk away.  i'm done.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

FurryCatHerder wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

So since the words say something that you find problematic the words CAN'T mean what they say they do? Or are you really saying that Mosaic law has nothing to do with Judaism?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:So since the

jcgadfly wrote:

So since the words say something that you find problematic the words CAN'T mean what they say they do? Or are you really saying that Mosaic law has nothing to do with Judaism?

Not at all.

I'm saying that the "Case Law" (look up the concept) differs from your interpretation of the "Written Law".  Since they, presumably, had the exact same "Written Law" the understanding of what the "Written Law" must have been consistent with what they historically did with it.

The person with the problem is =you=.  You fail to accept that the application of the laws differs from your interpretation.  I would assume that the Sanhedrin was the experts on applying the law to individual cases (by definition ...) and they don't seem to have applied it the way you claim it should have been applied.  You're not the Sanhedrin.  QED, you're wrong.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:you know what,

iwbiek wrote:

you know what, i had a whole thing typed up but i'm just going to walk away.  i'm done.

See ya later, alligator!

Looks like you really did get ripped off on that Jew-ology degree you got!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Not at all.

I'm saying that the "Case Law" (look up the concept) differs from your interpretation of the "Written Law".  Since they, presumably, had the exact same "Written Law" the understanding of what the "Written Law" must have been consistent with what they historically did with it.

The person with the problem is =you=.  You fail to accept that the application of the laws differs from your interpretation.  I would assume that the Sanhedrin was the experts on applying the law to individual cases (by definition ...) and they don't seem to have applied it the way you claim it should have been applied.  You're not the Sanhedrin.  QED, you're wrong.

You don't see a problem with someone re-interpreting what is supposedly the "law of God"?

The Sanhedrin also had as much corruption as the College of Cardinals in the Vatican, if I recall my history correctly. Not the most trustworthy of jurists.

— George Carlin

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline

FurryCatHerder wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

See ya later, alligator!

Looks like you really did get ripped off on that Jew-ology degree you got!

yep, you're right.  and you were right about everything and i was wrong about everything.  i know nothing about judaism and you're a billion times smarter than me.

enjoy that and have a great, if very complicated, life.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mmmmm

It's so much more enjoyable when FurryCat argues bible with born again christians...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dunno. The mental

I dunno. The mental gymnastics provoked by myself, red, iw, proz, and a few others have been exceptionally entertaining to me. I really got a laugh when she characterised a question by prozac as a strawman. Sheer comedy gold.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I do enjoy

seeing christians assaulted by a highly opinionated representative of the authors of the hebrew bible. This here has become more of a pie-throwing contest and I'm less enamored of seeing our own crew lambasted, particularly when there's an unsupported truth claim at the heart of a long-since decoupled conjecture. 

I'm personally OK with Furry's somewhat agnostic version of a religion tho' there must be a devotional side to all this that flies in the face of the broad brush strokes defining the Furry god. At the point I say I don't know, Furry says 'god'. And a panentheist god, too. Pretty hard to define a god you're actually inside of, I should think. This means you are relying on the anthropic principle, kalam - and other familiar apologist faces - to support your position. Most these arguments ultimately appeal to some sort of complexity. 

Furry understands this dilemma and chooses to believe in god with complete certainty, anyway. In part this seems to be on the basis of the literary historical method and various anthropological proofs. I do respect the honesty of theists who embrace empiricism right up to the point of the unknown and who are prepared to state their rather challenging position while claiming to be certain. I don't believe they are certainly right, however. Empiricism only embraced until comprehension ends seems flawed to me. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Spank the monkey and donate

Spank the monkey and donate $7000 to RRS.

A better server without the savior!

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

seeing christians assaulted by a highly opinionated representative of the authors of the hebrew bible. This here has become more of a pie-throwing contest and I'm less enamored of seeing our own crew lambasted, particularly when there's an unsupported truth claim at the heart of a long-since decoupled conjecture. 

I'm personally OK with Furry's somewhat agnostic version of a religion tho' there must be a devotional side to all this that flies in the face of the broad brush strokes defining the Furry god. At the point I say I don't know, Furry says 'god'. And a panentheist god, too. Pretty hard to define a god you're actually inside of, I should think. This means you are relying on the anthropic principle, kalam - and other familiar apologist faces - to support your position. Most these arguments ultimately appeal to some sort of complexity. 

Furry understands this dilemma and chooses to believe in god with complete certainty, anyway. In part this seems to be on the basis of the literary historical method and various anthropological proofs. I do respect the honesty of theists who embrace empiricism right up to the point of the unknown and who are prepared to state their rather challenging position while claiming to be certain. I don't believe they are certainly right, however. Empiricism only embraced until comprehension ends seems flawed to me. 

I agree with all that you have said, and have stated that much to her directly.  Though there are illogical conclusions deriving from compartmentalizing those two concepts.  Ultimately, if you embrace logic and all that it offers, you cannot stop short when faced with a cosmological argument or some argument from complexity.  In order to fully embrace empiricism, logic and ultimately pragmatism, you have to have the intellectual testicular fortitude to say "I don't know".  Anything less is being intellectually dishonest.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I agree with this

Ktulu wrote:

I agree with all that you have said, and have stated that much to her directly.  Though there are illogical conclusions deriving from compartmentalizing those two concepts.  Ultimately, if you embrace logic and all that it offers, you cannot stop short when faced with a cosmological argument or some argument from complexity.  In order to fully embrace empiricism, logic and ultimately pragmatism, you have to have the intellectual testicular fortitude to say "I don't know".  Anything less is being intellectually dishonest.

part of the thing when talking with Furry is that discounting the will to scrap, she projects a religion that is far more highly evolved than the literal christianity/islam we are familiar with. In conversation this often gets overlooked. Those later monotheistic faiths seem to me to represent a step back - a lowest common denominator sort of religious belief that's based on reward and punishment while Judaism seems more sophisticated, more eastern, despite the bleakness and judgement of much of the Pentateuch. Most advanced modern christians and I guess, muslims, seem to have reached this point on their own by actively blocking out the immoral parts of their bibles and actively interpreting. Furry doesn't like being lumped. 

There's more with Furry, I think. My Israeli/Jewish friends are agnostic or atheist but they are still Jewish. This does show us there's cultural glue with Judaism. It's an identity factor. I have a Jewish mate who can't possibly believe but he can't quite let go of the historicity of the Hebrew Bible, either. For christians, the OT is a religious text, while for jewish people the Hebrew Bible is about them. I try to imagine it as if the highland druids of my own celtic forbears had managed to write a book binding historical observation and religious supposition, myths and animism into one scots thing and done so 1000 or 1500 years before the Romans invaded. Even if I thought it was mostly bullshit that book would be alive inside me.

For my part, I have no great trouble with panentheists or pantheists. I understand the draw. Consider Ubuntu's recent 'backsliding' into god belief. You do get to a point of cognitive fuzz when you think about these unanswerable things and we humans are bound to construct something concrete, something familiar on which to rest our minds. For me, holding an open godless position waiting evidence feels like listening for what's going to come next. I can't imagine putting my hands over my ears.  

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: For

Atheistextremist wrote:
 For me, holding an open godless position waiting evidence feels like listening for what's going to come next.

Right. It's the only position that qualifies as being truly open minded.

You can't hear the evidence that contradicts your claims when you're simply shouting how 'right' you are...lol

Atheistextremist wrote:
 I can't imagine putting my hands over my ears. 

Whaaa?...lalalalalala....I can't hear you....Whaaa?.....lalalalaa....no...lalalala....you're wrong, I'm right.....lalalala

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Part of what happens in

Part of what happens in Judaism, and to a less extent Islam, is that whatever you say "G-d is", G-d isn't.  G-d is no-thing.  Not "nothing", but there exists no thing such that you can say "G-d is (l'havdil) that thing" because to ascribe some-thing to G-d is to deny some-other-thing, or to limit G-d in some way to that first thing.

A former Rabbi (Reform congregation, before I moved on) gave a sermon about Atheists, because there are Jews who are Atheists.  As I recall, someone had come to talk with him and discussed the fact that he was an Atheist (imagine that happening at a church or mosque -- that should tell you the difference between Jews on the one hand and Christians and Muslims on the other ...) and this Rabbi tells the person "The god you don't believe in, I don't believe in either."  It can take some wrapping your head around because here I am, a Theist, and I'll gladly tell you whether or not I believe in a god you describe.

This has been my experience in dealing with many Atheists.  I've yet to have an Atheist describe a god that they wouldn't believe in that I'd believe in.  And to be clear, I mean that in an honest, constructive conversation sense, Vastet and ProzacDeathWish can kindly bugger off.  I think we can all agree (except any Christians or Muslims who happen to join in) that some deity who sends you to Hell (not that I believe in Hell) for eating a bacon cheeseburger, while drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette on Yom Kippur, any time during Lent, or high noon during Ramadan is a pretty whack deity.  And likewise, any deity who'd reward you eternally for saying "I believe in you!", and give you a free pass, no matter how many lives you trash along the way, is likewise pretty messed up.  So, I have no trouble saying "I don't believe in those gods either".

Back before my son had finally settled in on being an Atheist, we were talking about G-d, and the entire concept of Imitatio Dei.  My comment to him was something along the lines of "It doesn't matter whether or not G-d exists, so long as you act in a manner that is consistent with G-d existing.", by which I mean the whole Imitatio Dei thing.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:It's

Atheistextremist wrote:
It's so much more enjoyable when FurryCat argues bible with born again christians...

I was up at my former in-laws one year for Christmas / Hanukkah and my former mother-in-law started in on me.  She was =extremely= Catholic.  Let's just say that it wasn't all that pleasant an experience for her.  I used to have very Evangelical Christian neighbors who'd go after me from time to time, hoping to get me to come back to Jesus.  One time the wife got started, so I walked back over to my house, brought back a pile of books about three feet high, and we started.  That didn't go so well for her either.

There are a lot of Christians who have a really hard time wrapping their head around a former Jesus-freak-turned-Jew.  My Christian bible memory isn't what it used to be, but I get back up to speed pretty fast.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:I agree with all

Ktulu wrote:

Extreme compartmentalization of beliefs is =easy=, once you decide that unrelated things aren't related.  For example, I am no less certain that the Big Bang happened, and that Evolution is true.  They are unrelated to the existence, or non-existence, of G-d.  G-d created Science, G-d can create Science any way G-d happens to have wanted to create Science.

Being comfortable with not knowing, and not trying to cram two things together somehow, requires mental discipline because the mind tries very hard to tie them together.  Our minds create associations to "fill in the blanks."  Indeed, by allowing myself to NOT know, I find that the answers are more likely to either show up inside my head by magic, or at least I'm less likely to have to dismantle large numbers of "beliefs" I held just because not-believing or not-knowing was uncomfortable.  Okay, so not-knowing can be uncomfortable.  So?  Big deal, who said "comfortable" was the primary objective behind doing something.  Now, making educated guesses, I'm fine with that.  But an educated guess is not the same as Knowing.

From a purely rational, logical perspective, belief in G-d and disbelief in god and/or gods, are equally valid.  Which is to say, neither can be proven and holding either as "absolute truth", beyond what is "intrinsic to ones personhood", is illogical.  That I believe in G-d is more accidental, meaning, I happen to believe in G-d, than intentional, meaning, I =chose= to believe in G-d.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:A

FurryCatHerder wrote:
A former Rabbi (Reform congregation, before I moved on)...

Reform Rabbi?  There is such a thing?

FurryCatHerder wrote:
"The god you don't believe in, I don't believe in either."  It can take some wrapping your head around because here I am, a Theist, and I'll gladly tell you whether or not I believe in a god you describe.

Actually, there's an infinite number of gods I don't believe in.  The set of gods I don't believe in simply has one more element than your set.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
G-d can create Science any way G-d happens to have wanted to create Science.

So could gØd have happened to create Science without even existing?  That might get my attention.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
From a purely rational, logical perspective, belief in G-d and disbelief in god and/or gods, are equally valid. Which is to say, neither can be proven and holding either as "absolute truth", beyond what is "intrinsic to ones personhood", is illogical. That I believe in G-d is more accidental, meaning, I happen to believe in G-d, than intentional, meaning, I =chose= to believe in G-d.

Perhaps this question might clarify the matter:  Were you born believing in g Ø d?

πππ†
π†††

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: Actually,

zarathustra wrote:
Actually, there's an infinite number of gods I don't believe in.  The set of gods I don't believe in simply has one more element than your set.

It always comes down to a 'personal' god. Every theist I talk to has a different definition of the 1 true god.

Simply put, I don't believe they know what they're talking about. That's what I 'believe'...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This has been my

Quote:
This has been my experience in dealing with many Atheists.  I've yet to have an Atheist describe a god that they wouldn't believe in that I'd believe in.  And to be clear, I mean that in an honest, constructive conversation sense, Vastet and ProzacDeathWish can kindly bugger off. 

Lol. Here's the thing. You've never laid out what you believe. The closest you've come is denying what others think you believe. The most instructive examples have come when you talk with people who have knowledge (whether accurate or not) of ancient judaism and the other abrahamic faiths.

So all we really have to go on is what other theists claim god is or isn't, which leads to your frustration as you clearly don't follow what other theists claim god is.

Believe it or not, I understand your position (at least, as much as I can with what little you've given me to go on). And as a result have classified you as the "not dangerous" type of theist.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The type who doesn't try to

The type who doesn't try to define something which defies our limited capacity to understand the universe. The type who has reconciled theism with science without damaging either. You are an example of the future of theism.

But you're exceptionally abrasive and insulting. I've had more civilised discussions with evangelists. Not often, but still. You are quick to assume and quick to condemn. You inspire a similar position in your opposition. I'm not even sure you'll actually read this, or that I'm saying what I want to say in a way you'll understand. But I have to give it a try or I'll be in violation of my ethics.

We don't understand you, and you aren't helping us change that. As a result, anything we say is subject to inapplicability without our recognising it. Only you can improve the quality of such a discussion, but you don't seem interested. You seem more interested in verbal abuse and being a bully.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The vast majority of

The vast majority of animosity I feel towards you stems directly from this.

Now, with that said, in as polite and uninsulting a way as I could word it, with absolutely no offense intended, can you please make an effort to respond while returning the favour?

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
F-rryC-tH-rd-r,Just what do

F-rryC-tH-rd-r,

Just what do you mean by "God created Science"?? (spelling corrected).

On the face of it, that doesn't quite make sense.

"Science" can refer to a set of methods and guidelines that have been devised and refined by people to develop progressively more accurate models, descriptions, accounts of "Life, the Universe, and Everything" (tm Douglas Adams), and it can refer to those models and descriptions themselves.

At best you can stretch it to the idea that because Reality is sufficiently consistent to allow such a discipline to 'work', that requires that it must have been 'created' that way by something that you think deserves the name of God, or G-d if you must. Why??

We can agree that there must be some basic principle or principles, some fundamental level of 'order' at the ground of Reality, of Existence.

I would see that this need be no more than some 'requirement' that the 'bits' of reality are all identical and fundamentally simple, whether some kind of ultimate 'particle', or packet of energy, or at least analogous to that. And that there is some ultimate minimum but non-zero state of activity, like the minimum energy level postulated by Quantum Mechanics, to continually 'shuffle' the 'bits'.

From such a ground, order naturally arises, just as a set of identical spheres on a flat surface will form a perfect triangular/hexagonal pattern when driven up against a barrier and shaken a bit.

If you want to label such principles 'G-d', OK, but why treat it as having 'wants' or intentions? That may be fine in an allegorical, mythical sense, but where does it get you?

You certainly don't logically need any more than this demonstrable aspect of existence, that multiple identical 'bits' can lead to emergent order and complexity to 'explain' things that you accept, such as the Big Bang and Evolution. And Evolution explains morality, as a fundamental advantage to a social species which will thrive on mutual assistance and cooperation.

Why all the theological baggage? 

A somewhat rhetorical question, because Science, thru Neuroscience, Psychology, Sociology, and other areas is showing how Man seems to 'require' such frameworks to contextualize social rules to improve the order and functioning of the group. And a fundamental heuristic of assuming agency in any unexplained event seems to have derived from an idea like "that movement in the grass may not be a predator, but just in case, let's assume it is and avoid it", as the safer option. There is also the desire for an 'explanation' for all kinds of phenomena, to minimize the 'fear of the unknown', with that same instinct to see 'agency' behind it all.

Such an assumption of 'agency' clearly can lead to the idea of gods, demons, spirits, etc, which seem to be pretty universal in some form across cultures.

It also seems that the psychological 'need' or inclination to accept a whole belief system involving some form of 'higher power', with some kind of will and intention for us, varies over a wide range across individuals.

You appear to have it fairly strongly, atheists to a much smaller degree, or even essentially zero in some cases.

We get these arguments when someone with a strong theistic inclination tries to understand what is 'wrong' with someone who feels no such need, and maybe vice-versa.

The other aspect is of course why should some particular ancient narrative be socially more functional that some other, or a more contemporary version? There does seem to be an intrinsic appeal if the narrative has just the right level of 'mystery', and even better if it harks back to 'ancient times'.

There is now evidence when we we compare different 'advanced' societies that many forms of religious traditions are no longer positive for social well-being, if they ever were. I will tend to agree that the more moderate forms of Judaism are among the better ones, if you must have one.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote: a

BobSpence wrote:
a fundamental heuristic of assuming agency in any unexplained event seems to have derived from an idea like "that movement in the grass may not be a predator, but just in case, let's assume it is and avoid it", as the safer option. There is also the desire for an 'explanation' for all kinds of phenomena, to minimize the 'fear of the unknown', with that same instinct to see 'agency' behind it all.

Such an assumption of 'agency' clearly can lead to the idea of gods, demons, spirits, etc, which seem to be pretty universal in some form across cultures.

Primitive heuristics still exist in some remote parts of the world, and much can be theorized about their ancestors based on cave paintings and such. It seems pretty evident that an under developed understanding of the natural world would be full of fright and bewilderment. To them, the world would seem to be divided into 2 parts : animate and inanimate )living and non living)

This observation could easily spawn the concept of a 'soul' as something that was living (animate) could become something not living (inanimate) with no way to reconcile how that occurred other than to conclude that the 'spirit' left the physical body.

The rhetoric is still with us, with expressions like 'he left this realm' or 'he lost his life' which could be thought of as analogous to 'he left, never to return again'.

The other weird expressions that never resonated with me were 'feel in my heart'.

BobSpence wrote:
It also seems that the psychological 'need' or inclination to accept a whole belief system involving some form of 'higher power', with some kind of will and intention for us, varies over a wide range across individuals.

I think it stems from having the same feelings of losing a loved one to death whether by predator, by enemy, or by natural death. There's a feeling of being robbed, or an injustice.

The predator and the enemy have 'intent', so by extension, they might reconcile it in their minds that nature had the 'intent' as well, which is also something we hear with expressions like 'their time came', which implies some Grim Reaper type of being, which could have spawned the idea of a sacrifice (to a being of this nature) in exchange for having a loved one taken away.

It's funny when you think about it, that the concept of a Grim Reaper would still exist, when the myths of a god should have replaced it.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:  And

FurryCatHerder wrote:
  And to be clear, I mean that in an honest, constructive conversation sense, ...

You really don't understand why there's a "Troll" label under your username ?  Seriously ?

FurryCatHerder wrote:
   ....Vastet and ProzacDeathWish can kindly bugger off. 

Well at least this time you didn't make any threats !

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:We don't

Vastet wrote:
We don't understand you, and you aren't helping us change that.

some of us understand this person more than this person realizes.  and not in any way that remotely requires a "jew-ology" degree. 

--Hunter S. Thompson

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Sure. 

FurryCatHerder wrote:

"Sure. Let's go with that."? "Whatever"?

The problem here, is... you aren't trying.

Aren't. Ain't. Whatever the hell dialect you use. Do you want to get your hands dirty with real dishonesty? Maybe demolish whatever credibility you have before whatever biiiggg announcement you have to make, we then shake hands on it (metaphorically!), and you walk away?

I didn't think so.

Quote:

I don't believe the Liberal Jew part, but i do believe the "allegorical story intended to teach a morality tale." part. Who are you planning to teach, may I ask?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Counter

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Counter offer

Offer accepted.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:The vast

Vastet wrote:
The vast majority of animosity I feel towards you stems directly from this. Now, with that said, in as polite and uninsulting a way as I could word it, with absolutely no offense intended, can you please make an effort to respond while returning the favour?

Let me get some things dealt with this evening (I have a zener diode sitting in an ice bath, measuring the  change in voltage with respect to ... TEMPERATURE!), then I'll see if I can do justice to a response.

Just so you know, I have read your posts and I am encouraged by them.  But I have a zener diode sitting in an ice bath, then I have to put it in steam, then I have to do math.  And eat a proper dinner.  Because I don't always remember to eat ...

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:But I

FurryCatHerder wrote:
But I have a zener diode sitting in an ice bath, then I have to put it in steam, then I have to do math.

...then go running through the streets naked, yelping in Greek that you've found it?

πππ†
π†††

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence

BobSpence wrote:

F-rryC-tH-rd-r,

Just what do you mean by "God created Science"?? (spelling corrected).

On the face of it, that doesn't quite make sense.

"Science" can refer to a set of methods and guidelines that have been devised and refined by people to develop progressively more accurate models, descriptions, accounts of "Life, the Universe, and Everything" (tm Douglas Adams), and it can refer to those models and descriptions themselves.

I think at some point, before I was even 8 or 10, I adopted this attitude that since G-d created the Universe, G-d created everything in it, including all the Physical Laws which govern The Entire Universe.  G-d created the Laws, not on a pair of stone tablets, but at the basic level of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and so forth.  From that came my interest in Science, not that living in my house would have resulted in anything else for me.

Quote:
At best you can stretch it to the idea that because Reality is sufficiently consistent to allow such a discipline to 'work', that requires that it must have been 'created' that way by something that you think deserves the name of God, or G-d if you must. Why??

We can agree that there must be some basic principle or principles, some fundamental level of 'order' at the ground of Reality, of Existence.

Agreed.

So, why call it "G-d"?  Is that the question?

I dunno.  I don't remember a time when I didn't believe G-d.  There have been times when I've questioned what I was =taught= along the way, but as I worked my way through various aspects of different creeds or catechisms or whatever, the notion that "G-d created the entire Universe" just seemed to stick around.  Questioning the "Mystical Three-in-One" business never threatened my belief in "the Uncaused Cause" or "Uncreated Creator".

Quote:
I would see that this need be no more than some 'requirement' that the 'bits' of reality are all identical and fundamentally simple, whether some kind of ultimate 'particle', or packet of energy, or at least analogous to that. And that there is some ultimate minimum but non-zero state of activity, like the minimum energy level postulated by Quantum Mechanics, to continually 'shuffle' the 'bits'.

From such a ground, order naturally arises, just as a set of identical spheres on a flat surface will form a perfect triangular/hexagonal pattern when driven up against a barrier and shaken a bit.

If you want to label such principles 'G-d', OK, but why treat it as having 'wants' or intentions? That may be fine in an allegorical, mythical sense, but where does it get you?

G-d doesn't have "wants" or "intentions" -- that's more about the way Christians view "god", as a people-like entity.  "Wants" and "Intentions" are human attributes.  People want stuff.  People have intentions.

Would I say "G-d wants everyone to have three square meals, a place to live, and other warm fuzzies"?  Sure, but not like G-d is sitting there, "wanting" away.  We are social creatures, and we seem, as a species, to have a sense of community and for the most part we have compassion for others.  So if G-d "originally" wanted to make sure everyone has three square meals a day, we'd have been created with all the tools to make sure there'd be people who suggest that perhaps "Social Justice" was a good idea.  We'd be "wired" that way, and for the most part, I think we are.

In my comprehension of G-d, if G-d =wanted= everyone to have "food, clothing and shelter", we'd definitely have it.  The Hebrew of Genesis 1:3 is much more forceful than the English translations -- it's six words: two of them are "And G-d said ..." (וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים) two of them are commanding light into existence (יְהִי אֹור) and two of them are reporting on the outcome ( וַֽיְהִי־אֹֽור).  If you look at the letters, ain't a lot of letters either.  A G-d who brings an entire Universe into existence with two words doesn't "want" and not "get".

What we have instead is a set of ingrained feelings and values -- being social creatures, compassion, sense of right and wrong -- and a commandment that we "do not oppress the poor, the widow or the orphan".  The Torah doesn't say "Ignore them, I've got this covered."  We're now on our own, whether it's a bunch of Jews engaged in "Tikkun Olam" (fuzzy-headed Liberal Judaism for 'repairing the world') or a bunch of Atheists working on a mission statement and arguing that it include Social Justice.

I think G-d is done "intending" and "wanting".  Now it's up to us.  This is our "job".

Quote:
You certainly don't logically need any more than this demonstrable aspect of existence, that multiple identical 'bits' can lead to emergent order and complexity to 'explain' things that you accept, such as the Big Bang and Evolution. And Evolution explains morality, as a fundamental advantage to a social species which will thrive on mutual assistance and cooperation.

Why all the theological baggage?

Why not?  There really isn't a lot of "theological baggage" in Judaism.  A common mistake, as I think redneF pointed out (I think it was him, or else Atheistextremist) is that the Hebrew Bible isn't just a "religious" book -- it's also a history book and a cultural repository.  Sit down and read Shir Ha'Shirim (Song of Songs).  Grab a significant other and a nice bottle of wine, some candles, a little soft music.  Have a nice read.  Start at Proverbs 31:10 and read to the end.  Read that one to your wife, if you have one.  Go back two verses.  Is that "theological baggage"?

Quote:
8 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
   for the rights of all who are destitute.
9 Speak up and judge fairly;
   defend the rights of the poor and needy.

Is that "theological baggage" or an argument someone in the "Atheism United Mission Statement" thread might say?

The hardest thing, I think, to get across is that if I up and decided / realized / became aware of the non-existence of G-d tomorrow, nothing would change.  I'd still be a Jew.  I'd just cross the line from "Jews who believe in G-d" over to the other side with "Jews who don't believe in G-d".  Judaism isn't =just= a religion, it's an entire culture, history, people.  You name it, Judaism has it.  Not that many generations back many people in my family were Jews -- Dad told me about going out to Long Island to visit his very Jewish grandparents.  Mom never mentioned the Jew-thing (other than "Don't you dare study that religion!&quotEye-wink, but her mother and I talked after Mom passed away and, sure enough, still more Jews hiding in the family tree.  These are my people.

Quote:
A somewhat rhetorical question, because Science, thru Neuroscience, Psychology, Sociology, and other areas is showing how Man seems to 'require' such frameworks to contextualize social rules to improve the order and functioning of the group. And a fundamental heuristic of assuming agency in any unexplained event seems to have derived from an idea like "that movement in the grass may not be a predator, but just in case, let's assume it is and avoid it", as the safer option. There is also the desire for an 'explanation' for all kinds of phenomena, to minimize the 'fear of the unknown', with that same instinct to see 'agency' behind it all.

I look at the Universe and it's very clear to me that =something= is going on that is outside our control.  That there =is= something "larger than us".  To me, it is self-evident.  It is as obvious as the nose on my face.  I think you're right -- some people have this "need", some people don't.  Some people like dogs, some people like cats.  I happen to like cats.

I've watched a few eclipses in my life and they are just the neatest thing in the world -- darkness in the middle of the day.  Driving from New Jersey, back to Maryland one night, I looked up and realized a comet was larger than life in the sky.  I got home from my trip and drove my son a ways north of where we live to get away from the light pollution, and there was this comet.  Where I live we have the best thunderstorms imaginable -- the thunder rolls from one side of the sky to the other.  I've chased hurricanes and Manta Rays and played peek-a-boo with an octopus.  Jupiter was up one night, so I grabbed the telescope I'd bought my son, just to see how many Jovian Moons I could see.  My parents gave me a telescope when I was 10 and I'd stare at the moon, or look at sunspots on the sun.

=That= is what "belief in G-d" does for me intellectually.  =That= is what Atheists seem to want me to give up.

Quote:
You appear to have it fairly strongly, atheists to a much smaller degree, or even essentially zero in some cases.

We get these arguments when someone with a strong theistic inclination tries to understand what is 'wrong' with someone who feels no such need, and maybe vice-versa.

You do, or you don't.  I don't "want" to believe in G-d, like I wake up and go "time to believe in G-d", like "time to make the donuts".  The corollary is that I can't "want" to =not= believe in G-d.

I think you're spot-on that it's wired up in the wet-ware, and if that's the case, the better approach to "religion" is channeling "religious energy" in a more constructive direction.  Getting Creationists to see Science as the key to understanding Creation, for example.  If an "Intelligent Design" textbook mapped "The six days of creation" to 13+ billion years of "what we have now", I wouldn't have a problem with that.  But what Creationists do now is so anti-Science that it's just dumb.

I also think that people who have this strong need to convert others are manifesting their own insecurities.  That if they can just convert =you=, their own belief in G-d is justified.

Quote:
The other aspect is of course why should some particular ancient narrative be socially more functional that some other, or a more contemporary version? There does seem to be an intrinsic appeal if the narrative has just the right level of 'mystery', and even better if it harks back to 'ancient times'.

There is now evidence when we we compare different 'advanced' societies that many forms of religious traditions are no longer positive for social well-being, if they ever were. I will tend to agree that the more moderate forms of Judaism are among the better ones, if you must have one.

Heh.  We have religious laws "on the books" that go back to when people put rocks under trees and called them gods.  But Judaism isn't stagnant.  We're not Muslims and we're not Fundamentalist Christians.  And you're perfectly fine the way you are, Jewish or not Jewish.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
So were you born believing

So were you born believing in G(o)d, or was it a belief you adopted some time between birth and the age of 8 or 10? 

πππ†
π†††

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder,Thanks for

FurryCatHerder,

Thanks for the comprehensive response. I was beginning to wonder if you had me on 'ignore', perhaps still from your first visit to this board, IIRC.

Quote:

I think G-d is done "intending" and "wanting".  Now it's up to us.  This is our "job".

So you see God as something that did have "wants" and "intents" with regard to us, or perhaps just the Universe as a whole, but no longer does?

That still makes him more than just an abstract principle or law of reality, IMHO.

I don't see any reason to think of the ultimate-reason-for-existence in that way, even allegorically, but maybe that's part of this 'wired-in' urge to perceive reality in that particular way.

Do you think of the Hebrew Bible as more than just the writings of men? I presume from the previous bit I quoted from you that you don't, IOW that it all just follows from the way things were set up "in the beginning". If that is true, then I see no particular justification for treating it as 'special'. There is evidence from other ancient culture around the world that such thoughts were not unique to at least some people since some form of social organization began. They would have occurred, and still occur unprompted, to many people before and since.

They ultimately follow, at least with more thoughtful people, from our empathy and compassion.

I personally find more and deeper insights into the human condition in the works of Shakespeare than in any religious texts.

I am sure you are aware of the many passages in the OT that most of us here find deeply offensive in a moral sense, even though there are also such 'nicer' passages as you refer to. It is a very mixed bag.

And of course I don't see what you quoted as "theological baggage". That passage makes no particular reference to God. I hope you appreciate that that is not the sort of thing I was referring to. I meant the whole idea of putting such thoughts in a context where they are in some sense ultimately derived from a belief in God, or 'inspired' by God itself, where God is more than an abstract principle. I can accept that in some sense they follow as a consequence of our evolutionary history, both in a genetic and cultural sense of evolution. Even though I do not see the history of the Universe and of life on Earth as rigidly determined from the beginning, due to both Quantum considerations and chaos theory (the effects of non-linear feedback leading to the possibility of infinite sensitivity to initial conditions).

Quote:

I look at the Universe and it's very clear to me that =something= is going on that is outside our control.  That there =is= something "larger than us".  To me, it is self-evident.

I have absolutely no problem with this. To me it is a "D'uh" statement. Clearly, even to a died-in-the wool naturalist, materialist, whatever, the bulk of the Universe, of Reality, is way "outside our control".

This is not where I see the distinction.

It is the next step - seeing that "something" as having the attributes of what you think of as a "God" of some form, rather than just an abstract principle, an intrinsic attribute that 'determined' that there will be 'something' rather than nothing.

I also have no problem with Judaism as a culture, with the religious aspects part of that. I see that applying to all cultures, with all religions being an aspect of the culture which they are associated with, within which they arose, or which formed around the beliefs.

I also have wondered at the grandeur and mystery of the Universe, and of Life. I have never see a total eclipse, only a few partials. I also remember wandering onto a beach at midnight, in a place far from city light pollution, with no moon visible, looking up and seeing for perhaps the first time with such clarity and conscious appreciation, the Milky Way, not just as an area of the sky with a higher density of visible point of light, but as that textured mist spanning the sky. I think we have a better view of it here in the southern hemisphere than on the other side.

I too have seen comets, both as sky-spanning streaks of light and as the small wedge of light that Halley's appeared as in its last visit.

I have not so much chased manta rays, but had the experience of one seeing me and coming up to investigate me, looping up and back in front of me almost close enough to touch. I have watched sharks swim up and past me. I have fed giant moral eels on our Great Barrier Reef.

I have felt the wonder of seeing the rings of Saturn through my own 4-inch telescope, conscious that the light forming that image on my retina had come all the way from the planet, not just bouncing off an image in a book, or generated by glowing spots on a video screen.

Again, I think you may be missing the 'true' point of distinction between your world-view and mine. Such experiences are in no way unique to your position. Many, if not most, people would share the basic 'buzz' of such experiences. But some see them as indicating the "glory and wonder of God's Creation", others, like myself, as part of the wonder of existence itself, without the Theological Baggage.

I see such experiences, such basic senses of awe and wonder, as primary to either religion or science, but capable of inspiring either modes of thought, or even both, in individuals to varying degrees.

I have no need or desire to give any of this up. I just feel no need to bring in the God stuff, which to me is just polluting the pure experience with a bunch of unnecessary crap. Atheists don't want to do that - there are alternative ways to really appreciate these things - I refer you to Carl Sagan as a wonderful example of how that works.

I really get irritated at the presumption of many Theists that rejecting God means we miss out on all these wondrous 'highs' - I have had a guy in front of me express his sadness at what he felt I was missing by not being able to access what he felt when interacting with, or feeling the presence of,  or talking with, his God.

While it is impossible currently to strictly compare the emotional and 'spiritual' intensity of specific experiences in two separate individuals, altho advances in scanner technology and neuroscience may bring this closer, I have had many experiences which seem to map to what believers claim. I see them as basic to the workings of our minds, triggerable by different content, depending on the outlook and views of each individual.

I would never assume that the depth and intensity of any such experience a believer reported was anything less than they claimed, altho they seem to think that a non-believer could not possibly experience anything as profound within a secular context, and often would want to deny that mine could be as great as theirs.

I have no real problem with the rest of what you say.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:So were

zarathustra wrote:

So were you born believing in G(o)d, or was it a belief you adopted some time between birth and the age of 8 or 10? 

I think if you follow the conversation of the poster I was responding to, there is evidence that people are born with a propensity to believe in supernatural "beings".  There have been scientific studies which show that "religiosity" is genetically linked.  Likewise, as a socially unifying force, shared religious values confer an evolutionary advantage over groups which lack something as strong as "religious belief" to maintain group cohesion.

But to answer your question more directly, I don't remember a time when I didn't.  To be very clear, I don't think this makes me a better (or worse) person that someone who doesn't.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

I think if you follow the conversation of the poster I was responding to, there is evidence that people are born with a propensity to believe in supernatural "beings".  There have been scientific studies which show that "religiosity" is genetically linked.  Likewise, as a socially unifying force, shared religious values confer an evolutionary advantage over groups which lack something as strong as "religious belief" to maintain group cohesion.

But to answer your question more directly, I don't remember a time when I didn't.  To be very clear, I don't think this makes me a better (or worse) person that someone who doesn't.

Isn't what you're calling a "propensity to believe in supernatural "beings"" more likely to be a conjunction of the human imagination and its tendency toward making up stories to explain things they don't understand?

— George Carlin

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Isn't what you're calling a "propensity to believe in supernatural "beings"" more likely to be a conjunction of the human imagination and its tendency toward making up stories to explain things they don't understand?

No.  There have been scientific studies which show that =religious= belief in very heritable.

And I think you'd be hard-pressed to find too many areas where I'm unwilling to accept scientific answers, so it isn't like I'm using belief in G-d as some crutch for why pretty rainbows appear after the rain stops.

(Argh.  English is not my second language, but there are times ...)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

No.  There have been scientific studies which show that =religious= belief in very heritable.

And I think you'd be hard-pressed to find too many areas where I'm unwilling to accept scientific answers, so it isn't like I'm using belief in G-d as some crutch for why pretty rainbows appear after the rain stops.

(Argh.  English is not my second language, but there are times ...)

Since you brought up studies can you list one?

— George Carlin

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bob,I'd =love= to have time

Bob,

I'd =love= to have time to respond, honest I would, and I'll try to get around to responding more fully.  Mostly I wanted to say that you're one of my favorite people, so if it seems I have you on "ignore" it either means everyone else is responding more, or I'm busy.  The only reason I'm responding =now= is I had business e-mails I had to deal with and I'm still waiting on a client to tell me they've got a check going in the mail.

Otherwise, I have a work I need to get back to.