Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:
Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
So, what's the truth? Are roller coasters objectively some sort of life force, as they make us feel more alive, or are they the opposite, some sort of death force, as our one friend feels? The majority of our sample loves them, and find they make us feel more alive, so there must be a real life-force in roller coasters. That must be the truth.

There is no significant difference between gnosticism and roller coasters.

You err. Both the life-urge and death-urge are within you. In philosophical terms, this is known as the "conatus" or the dialectic.

And so Paisley was enlightened.

Sorry, but you completely missed the point.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

ctressle
User is offlineOffline
Is there any way I can

Is there any way I can delete this post? On the other hand, I give mods permission to destroy this one. Messed up, don't really feel like explaining.

ctressle
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I AM GOD AS

Paisley wrote:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:
Define Love?

"God is love." 1 John 4:7

Oh for fuck's sake.

Person 1: "Blah blah A."

Person 2: "define A."

Person 1: "A is B."

Person 3: "Well, define B."

Person 1: "B is A."

WOW, you really provided something to go with on that last one, didn't you Paisley?!

ctressle
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:magilum

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Quote:
"No one can die unless he chooses death. What seems to be the fear of death is really its attraction." (source: ACIM)

Is this what you've been so insistently referencing?

http://www.acim.org/

LOL.

Yes, I quoted the source.

Yes, and that source is shit. If you had read any of the responses to you, you'd have paid attention regarding the method of science. "Miracles" are not only not scientific, but are not verifiable in any way regarding independent sources because, by definition, a miracle can not be repeated. Oh wait, that last tidbit of mine is already taken care of by the former fact - that they aren't investigatable by scientific means. Of course, if only you'd pay attention to the good people who have been trying to get you to understand...

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Paisley I thought I had

Paisley

I thought I had made it clear, you are impatient in your desire to know what can’t be known. Your conclusions based in intuitive knowledge and insufficient physical evidence are completely inadequate at this point in time. I for one understand there is far more to learn of the Universe through observation and research though you think it is understood by intuition and faith. There are still many unknowns that are not going to be answered in the near term or probably in your lifetime. I’m willing to wait years for more information and discoveries even if it means never knowing for sure. You however draw conclusions based on interpretation of disconnected data. You can’t convince me your intuition contains the answers. In many cases we don’t even know the question so how could we know the answer. I previously said to you wait and see instead of subscribing to mystical origins for an explanation. That said this discussion will never progress for either of us in mutual understanding. I await more information, discovery, and new possibilities in the unknown. You think your intuition and mind contains the answers coupled with misinterpretations of scientific concepts. I don’t. I don’t care what you believe so I too leave you to your non-rational god-belief.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
1 John 4:77 Beloved, let us

1 John 4:7

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. ////

Yes, ancient elegant John. Thing is, the understanding of "God", as meaning reality, is today a bit different. Geezz, back then when a child died from a flu, many thought they were God cursed etc. and needed the church cure.   

I often say "love is the answer" to all our "solvable" problems, But I will shoot an intruder in the spirit of "loving" and defending life etc. In the spirit of love, story Jesus was also lovingly indignant against the religious hypocrites.

I find the atheist free thinking humanitarian non-superstitious materialists , to be generally the most loving and conscious aware. Atheism is not against love ..... but to say "god is love" has a dogmatic religious tone that begs the reply that no MASTER god of LOVE is in control, as Hate and indifference exists, and is god not all reality ?  

Why don't you join the atheists Paisley and help destroy superstitious God of Abe religions. What G_O_D is ? , IS science, in all it's broad intuitive desire to understand reality and that is the love of "GOD" cosmos  ...... Get over Abraham's god already .....  Jesus/Buddha would insist ...... Let's stop confusing dogma and intuition. We don't know much about G O D (REALITY)  is our truth, so tell the world to stop making shit up .....

The LOVE message is the greatest of all, but why fuck that up with dogy GOD shit ?  

I AM GOD AS YOU, now what ???   YES,  LOVE LOVE LOVE .....

I think you need too praise and love the caring and angry atheists ....       

If there wasn't religion and so then Theists, there would be no Atheists, as we all would be ONE with this whatever is going on ..... damn we are stupid ..... as science most truthfully admits ..... damn I AM PISSED , WTF ????? to do ?????   Yeah,  LOVE  is fury ......    KILL THE  DOGMA  

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Do I believe that "love is the reason for everything?" Yes, definitely. I stand by this. So what exactly is your objection?

My objection is that this is absurd, to use a favorite term of yours.

"Love" is an emotion. It is a subjective reaction, a mental state and a cascade of hormones and firing neurons. The reaction is in response to a variety of stimuli, such as seeing someone of whom you are fond (a rather tautological situation, I admit).

This demonstrates the spiritual impoverishment of a worldview based on reductionistic materialism.

nigelTheBold wrote:
This reaction is not a fundamental state of the universe. It's not a "force," other than it may cause us to act in certain ways. THAT is the love I asked you to prove.

I fail to see why I am responsible to prove to you that love is the fundamental law of reality?

nigelTheBold wrote:
Not only that, but "love is the reason for everything" is semantically void. It means nothing, as stated. How is love the reason for everything? Because of God. How does God give reason to love? Because God is love. Love is the force that binds the universe. God is the universe. Without love, there is no universe; with no universe, there is no God. That is the trinity: the universe (the body), God (the mind), and Love (the soul).

The Trinity is the Lover, the Beloved and the Love that unites the two as one.

Yes, love is the reason for everything. But this knowledge comes only with a spiritual awakening.

Quote:
"Love is changeless but continually exchanged, being offered by the eternal to the eternal." (source: ACIM)

nigelTheBold wrote:
None of this is rational, nor does it make any kind of true sense. I can get in that mindframe, certainly, but it's a foreign world where nothing has to make sense, as long as both God and Love exist to make the universe safe for me, where I know that when I die, I will not die.

When you consider that the contrary is completely absurd, it makes perfect rational sense.

Quote:
"Reason lies in the other self you have cut off from your awareness. And nothing you have allowed to stay in your awareness is capable of reason." (source: ACIM)

nigelTheBold wrote:
None of this is rational, which is OK. It doesn't make you wrong (though I'd have to give the correctness of your proposition a likelihood close to 0%). Claiming this is rational does make you wrong, as you've amply demonstrated. I believe I've given you plenty of opportunity to provide support for your claim of rationalism, but you've failed fairly completely.

Reason tells us that the scientific method is not capable of ascertaining the absolute truth. You have already acknowledge this fact. Now, you may resign yourself to live in ignorance. But as for me, I choose to follow my intuition which I trust will lead me to the truth.

nigelTheBold wrote:
And as you've also failed to defend the proposition that science is an irrational epistemology, I can only assume you have no better argument than the many-times refuted, "As it provides no ultimate meaning, science is irrational."

I have not attacked science. But I do take issue with those who make this ridiculous demand that I must embrace scientific materialism as my personal philosophy of life. Scientific materialism or scientism is an absurd worldview because it views the world as being ultimately absurd.

nigelTheBold wrote:
In any case, you have failed fairly spectacularly in defending the rationality of your beliefs, or in prosecuting your assertion that science as an epistemology or practice is irrational.

No, I haven't failed because I fully know the limits of science. I am not under any illusions that it will lead us to the ultimate truth or that it will enable us to predict every event with absolute certitude.

nigelTheBold wrote:
As that's been my only major quibble with your assertions (as I don't really care what you believe, as long as you don't try to foist off nonsense to our children and call it "science," or try to affect politics with your irrational beliefs), I'll leave you to your beliefs.

What nonsense is this?

I'm afraid that you do not have the authority to determine what values parents instill in their children or how citizens cast their vote. Certainly, my worldview is a more positive worldview, both for children and for society as a whole. There are no higher values than faith, hope, and love.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Ultimate Truth ?  Good luck

Ultimate Truth ?  Good luck , now what ? God is what ????     

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Quote:
"No one can die unless he chooses death. What seems to be the fear of death is really its attraction." (source: ACIM)

Is this what you've been so insistently referencing?

http://www.acim.org/

LOL.

Yes, I quoted the source.

But you really have to visit the site for the appropriate lulz at seeing you quote it.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I AM GOD AS

Paisley wrote:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:
Define Love?

"God is love." 1 John 4:7

Right. So. Love is ordering the slaughter of every man, woman, child, ox, sheep, chicken etc etc in a city because they happen to be/belong to folks of a different tribe? Love is putting people to death for potentially muddling inheritance lines? (which, btw, is why adultery was so heinous. If a woman slept around, it made it hard to tell to which man's property her sons had lawful claim.)

Besides which, you can't define love with 'God is love' if you've defined God with 'God is love' if you want either definition to have any validity. All you've done, in effect is to define '1' as '1'. Good job. I guess the love that is God has no other meaning you could have used, and so both words, for purposes of your posts, should be replaced with <insert meaningless term here>.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:There are no

Paisley wrote:

There are no higher values than faith, hope, and love.

Faith is not a virtue.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry to interrupt your

Sorry to interrupt your excellent posts BMcD.  

I just had to make a prediction regarding Paisley.   Despite the excellent atheist rebuttals in this thread it has already become an exercise in futility.  It is literally a waste of time and intellect to further engage Paisley in debate.  His mind is closed and any dissenting views are "absurd", blah blah.  

I suspect that Paisley will remain on this thread until all interest is lost and the thread dies out.  At that point Paisley will assert, due to lack of responses,  that he has successfully defeated all atheist counter-arguments.

Time will tell.

( if and when it happens, I will bump this post just for grins. )

sandwiches
sandwiches's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I have not

Paisley wrote:

I have not attacked science. But I do take issue with those who make this ridiculous demand that I must embrace scientific materialism as my personal philosophy of life. Scientific materialism or scientism is an absurd worldview because it views the world as being ultimately absurd.

I've seen you say this a lot. I think I understand what you're saying, now.

You are saying that since scientific materialism doesn't include an ultimate meaning of life, a materialist views life as having no ultimate meaning. Correct?

Fish
User is offlineOffline
sandwiches wrote:Paisley

sandwiches wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I've seen you say this a lot. I think I understand what you're saying, now.

You are saying that since scientific materialism doesn't include an ultimate meaning of life, a materialist views life as having no ultimate meaning. Correct?

What Paisley is doing is conflating several meanings of the word "absurd" in order to make a statement appear logically valid, when in fact it is a non sequitur.  What he fails to realize is that a word can have many definitions, but it does not mean all of them simultaneously in any given instance.  Indeed, such a thing would be absurd.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote:What Paisley is

Fish wrote:
What Paisley is doing is conflating several meanings of the word "absurd" in order to make a statement appear logically valid, when in fact it is a non sequitur.  What he fails to realize is that a word can have many definitions, but it does not mean all of them simultaneously in any given instance.  Indeed, such a thing would be absurd.

If you view the world as being ultimately absurd, then you have an absurd worldview. Logic dictates this much.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tin foil hat off

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I suspect that Paisley will remain on this thread until all interest is lost and the thread dies out.  At that point Paisley will assert, due to lack of responses,  that he has successfully defeated all atheist counter-arguments.

If lack of response is the criterion for defeat, then paisley has already lost; he routinely ignores arguments and direct criticism of his "reasoning", and instead keeps spinning his gerbil wheel of non-rationality ("god is love, love is god"; "material is absurd, absurd is material" ).  paisley dodges and he knows it. 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ummm, I must also ask god

ummm, I must also ask god what is "absurd" ..... but wait, is asking god absurd ?  Save me from this reality, yicks ..... what should I do ? , HELP , WTF am I ?  Is there time enough for me and all of us .....      I do agree we the people of the whole tiny world are basically nuts, but is that absurd ?  After all your "god is love" did it.  ???

Words are what we got, so keep trying Mr. P  .....  luv ya man, be nice to yourself, ever do forty days in the high forest looking down at civilization ?  GOD and love and absurdity is there, intuitively revealed in cosmic enlightened living color ..... I AM hooked .....    Yeah L O V E , let's love indeed ...... so now I AM MAD !  U2 ?  glad you are ....

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:Paisley

aiia wrote:
Paisley wrote:
aiia wrote:
Paisley wrote:
What makes you feel that I am obligated to prove the existence of God to you?

You are the fool who is making the claim that there is this "god" thing. So it is YOUR obligation to prove that claim.

Atheism is not a claim.

Evidently, you did not read the OP of this thread. RRS is advertising itself as having the ability to "fix my God-belief." So, if you identify with the mission statement of this forum, then the onus is actually upon you to "fix" my belief.

Incidentally, atheism has the implicit belief of materialism. To suggest otherwise is to provide evidence of a lurking god-belief.

Evidently you have problems with interpreting language.

Its not surprising your fantasy world bleeds into everything you do.

I havent responded to your op,

I know. You're making my point. 

aiia wrote:
I'm responding to your error of shifting the burden of proof.

Atheism MEANS no belief in 'god' (what ever the hell that is).

Actually, there are two forms of atheism: strong atheism and weak atheism. Strong atheism positively affirms that there is no God. You are only stating weak atheism.

aiia wrote:
Everything IS material until it is proven otherwise

No, this is not true. Everything is observable phenomena. Materialism itself is just a metaphysical belief. (In particular, it is the belief that permanent substances or particles constitute ultimate reality and that all change is explained by the re-arrangement of these particles.) 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Come on Paisley, just

Come on Paisley, just swallow the whole pill, you are an atheist, stop resisting gawed ....  you got me giggling. Hey, put some wood on the camp fire, and cut up a bit more. Wild most out there ideas ......  186 thousand miles per second !  Are you sure ?  Is that it, nothing faster ? Is there stuff we can't detect ? Is that what you call faith, something more ? God is a guess ..... now what, dogma language ?   

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Panentheism? All the mystical traditions of the world (this would include Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism, etc.)

And as an atheist, this should impress me ?  Superstition, whether practiced by one or by millions, still remains superstition.

I'm not trying to impress you. I am simply refuting your assertion that there are only two panentheists in the world. The appropriate response would have been for you to graciously concede the point. Instead, you have decided to create a straw-man argument in order to divert attention from the fact that you were wrong.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Haitian Voo Doo and West African Muti also share a spiritual world view ( which includes human sacrifice ) would you like to embrace them as your spiritual brethren as well ?   Seems as if that god-impulse has a few homicidal urges lurking below the surface.

I am glad to see that you have conceded the point that the religious impulse is universal.

By the way, do you consider the atheistic marxists whose mission was to rid the masses from their "opium addiction" as your comrades?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
They are all sick .... and

They are all sick .... and it's contagious ..... what to do ?

sandwiches
sandwiches's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Fish

Paisley wrote:

Fish wrote:

If you view the world as being ultimately absurd, then you have an absurd worldview. Logic dictates this much.

Doesn't that seem a little bit redundant?

If you view the world as being blue, then you have a blue worldview?

So, again, I ask: Am I correct in assuming that you're trying to say the following?

That since scientific materialism doesn't include an ultimate meaning of life, a materialist views life as having no ultimate meaning.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tin foil hat off

sandwiches wrote:

So, again, I ask: Am I correct in assuming that you're trying to say the following?

That since scientific materialism doesn't include an ultimate meaning of life, a materialist views life as having no ultimate meaning.

Be prepared to ask several times...with nothing but a non-answer in the end.

πππ†
π†††

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: The

Paisley wrote:

The appropriate response would have been for you to graciously concede the point.

Oh my fucking god Paisley, you are the absolute epitome of delusions of grandeur.  Do you wear a plastic crown and admire yourself in the mirror as you post your rebuttals ? 

Graciously concede the point ?  Oh yes of course your Majesty.... should I praise you for your humility as well ? 

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Haitian Voo Doo and West African Muti also share a spiritual world view ( which includes human sacrifice ) would you like to embrace them as your spiritual brethren as well ?   Seems as if that god-impulse has a few homicidal urges lurking below the surface.

I am glad to see that you have conceded the point that the religious impulse is universal.

By the way, do you consider the atheistic marxists whose mission was to rid the masses from their "opium addiction" as your comrades?

1.)  Even though in your typical cowardly manner you completely sidestepped  the issue of religious impulses and my examples of murdering theists, I will personally never hesitate to acknowledge any "dirt" committed under the pretext of atheism.  If there are any genuinely atheistic movements whose crimes are committed in the name of  atheism you will never see me make excuses for their behavior.  I have no need to run from truth.

2.) Apparently the religious impulse is beginning to wane among western civilizations. The practice of Christianity is virtually dead in England, and has greatly declined among the Scandinavian countries, as well as parts of Europe. The byproduct of that waning god-belief is that the growing atheist movement is gathering momentum and filling the void.

The result is that the atheist community is now free to come out of the shadows of society to an ever more public presence that cannot be ignored.

The existence of this atheist forum that you participate in is further verification of that growing influence.

We are now represented in the public forum, our numbers are growing, and we have a viable political presence.  That can only be good for atheism.  The result is that the cultural monopoly that theists have enjoyed will be eventually destroyed.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
sandwiches wrote:Paisley

sandwiches wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Yes, it's redundant. Unfortunately, the truth has to be repeated because split minds will often attempt to confuse the issue.

sandwiches wrote:

A materialist must view life as having no ultimate meaning if he wants to maintain logical consistency.

sandwiches
sandwiches's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:sandwiches

Paisley wrote:

sandwiches wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Yes, it's redundant. Unfortunately, the truth has to be repeated because split minds will often attempt to confuse the issue.

Oh OK. So you were just trying to drive the point home, as it were, then, right?

Paisley wrote:

sandwiches wrote:

A materialist must view life as having no ultimate meaning if he wants to maintain logical consistency.

That makes sense.

So, from this and your earlier posts, I take it that you cannot accept a materialistic view because it has no ultimate meaning for life. Am I correct?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
sandwiches wrote:Oh OK. So

sandwiches wrote:
Oh OK. So you were just trying to drive the point home, as it were, then, right?

Yes, more or less. I am being forced to repeat myself because the atheist is refusing to accept the logical consequences of his worldview.

sandwiches wrote:
Paisley wrote:

That makes sense.

So, from this and your earlier posts, I take it that you cannot accept a materialistic view because it has no ultimate meaning for life. Am I correct?

Yes, I refuse to accept it because it is an absurd worldview.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: I am being

Paisley wrote:

I am being forced to repeat myself because the atheist is refusing to accept the logical consequences of his worldview.

And based upon the available evidence, how many more times do you estimate that you will have to repeat yourself before we atheists suddenly relent ?  Had any success so far ?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Paisley wrote:
I am being forced to repeat myself because the atheist is refusing to accept the logical consequences of his worldview.

And based upon the available evidence, how many more times do you estimate that you will have to repeat yourself before we atheists suddenly relent?  Had any success so far?

Yes, I have. You have already conceded the point that your personal life is ultimately meaningless and pointless. This probably explains why you have chosen to identify yourself as "ProzacDeathWish." 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Paisley wrote:

And based upon the available evidence, how many more times do you estimate that you will have to repeat yourself before we atheists suddenly relent?  Had any success so far?

Yes, I have. You have already conceded the point that your personal life is ultimately meaningless and pointless. This probably explains why you have chosen to identify yourself as "ProzacDeathWish." 

And you're a clothing pattern associated with Birkenstock sandals, cheap incense, unkempt armpits, and a disproportionate sense of social relevance.

And I'm a Sumerian death ship.

Oh, and all of your arguments have been a complete, unmitigated failure; and I'm still waiting for you to admit your recovering-fundy status.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:sandwiches

Paisley wrote:

sandwiches wrote:

Yes, more or less. I am being forced to repeat myself because the atheist is refusing to accept the logical consequences of his worldview.

Actually, I think what you're having difficulty with is not that we're not accepting the logical conclusion, but that our response is more or less 'yeah... so?', and we're failing to recoil in horror from what you seem to think is a fatal flaw to our position: the lack of "Ultimate Purpose".

Paisley wrote:
sandwiches wrote:
Paisley wrote:

That makes sense.

Yes, I refuse to accept it because it is an absurd worldview.

Despite having, in the end, no real, objective, measurable and verifiable evidence that it's false, save your own stubborn stamping of your foot and crying 'I don't like it!'. There's nothing irrational about the absurd under the definition of absurd that applies to the lack of "ultimate purpose". There's nothing internally contradictory, either, and try as you might, in the end all you achieve is to continue an internet forum argument, laboring under the delusion that you can win. Why bother? Smiling

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Yes, I have.

Paisley wrote:

Ooooooooo, such venom !!!   It's nice to know that I really got under your skin. What's the matter, getting frustrated ?

( ....I see you are in the habit of writing concession speeches for your opponents;  tsk tsk, is that the only way you can achieve your "victory" ? )

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Paisley

magilum wrote:

Paisley wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Paisley wrote:

And you're a clothing pattern associated with Birkenstock sandals, cheap incense, unkempt armpits, and a disproportionate sense of social relevance.

Oh, and all of your arguments have been a complete, unmitigated failure; and I'm still waiting for you to admit your recovering-fundy status.

And I'm Snoop Dogg's best friend.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Conceded? You make it sound like it's a bad thing. Perhaps my life is 'ultimately' meaningless and pointless. So what? While I live, my life is meaningful to me. When I stop living... I won't care! Meaning only has value in subjective terms. My life, "ultimately", needs only have meaning to me. What puzzles me is why you seem to think this is some kind of weakness in the atheistic viewpoint, why you get so worked up over the idea that for us to find value and worth in our lives, we don't need them to have some eternal purpose beyond that simple endeavor of having value and worth for us.

Why does that idea twist your knickers so badly? Why do you seem so deeply outraged and offended that I don't need the "ultimate purpose" you're pushing? Or that Prozac doesn't? I find my fulfillment here. You find it in the idea of a loving god, who provided you with a world and a life... that you spit upon, denounce as not worthwhile on its own merits, and then turn back to that loving provider and demand more from.

Frankly, I still say that's damned obnoxious and the actions of an arrogant ingrate, but hey, if spitting in the face of your god and telling him he didn't do a good enough job for your satisfaction is what makes you feel good about yourself, have fun with it.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tin foil hat off (briefly)

Paisley wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Paisley wrote:

I didn't concede that point.  I readily asserted it.  And I challenged you to thereupon demonstrate how an absurd wordlview is irrational, or in contrast to "demonstrate rationally (not NON-rationally), the basis for your worldview".  

And you ignored me.

And if you respond along the lines of "irrational is absurd....absurd is irrational", be advised (as you have been already -- many times) that that is simply a circular argument.  An absurd argument.  An irrational argument.  A stupid argument.

You, for your part, conceded the point that your belief was "wishful thinking or fantasy".   I pointed out to you that wishful thinking or fantasizing that god exists does not mean god exists. 

And you ignored me.

So you are not being forced to repeat yourself "because the atheist is refusing to accept the logical consequences of his worldview".  You are forcing yourself to repeat yourself because you really having nothing other than your circular (absurd/irrational/stupid) argument to go on.  And you apparently force yourself to repeatedly ignore my posts.  Just as you haven't the fortitude to face the absurdity of life (and must instead wishfully think up a god to pacify yourself), you haven't the fortitude to face down critiques which lay bare the tawdry dishonesty of your argument.

I am being forced to repeat myself because paisley is refusing to accept that he is being dishonest:

Paisey:  Quit dodging or quit posting.

πππ†
π†††

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Paisley

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Evidently you are asking the wrong questions because you have a basic misconception of pantheism.

"Evidently"? Since when did you start relying on evidence?

Evidently you have the wrong questions, because you have a basic misconception of Reality.

AND,evidently, you have no scruples about employing non-sequiturs, yet grow quite critical when they are lobbed at you.

Ad hominem attacks do not qualify as a valid argument.

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Pantheism is the view that there is an all pervading consciousness which permeates the phenomenal world. So, the question to ask is if all biological organisms have conscious-awareness.

And the answer to that would be "No."

How do you know? Do you have the scientific means to determine this?

zarathustra wrote:
So apparently your god-belief is a means of coping with sexual deprivation. Reality (material universe with no god) may not always be sexy, but it remains Reality.

Actually, tantric mysticism is specifically concerned with sublimating the sexual energy ("kundalini" in Sanskrit). And quite honestly, the orgasm of the lower sexual chakra pales in comparison with the higher ones. But now I am digressing.

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The purpose of love is to create or extend itself.

Does your god-belief make you "extend yourself"?

God is forever extending His Self. Such is the nature of love.

zarathustra wrote:
1. I have lack of faith and lack of faith seeks evidence.

Quote:
"Faith and desire go hand in hand, for everyone believes in what he wants." (source: ACIM)

zarathustra wrote:
2. It is the intrinsic nature of god to not exist.

You failed to address this. Quit dodging or quit posting, please.

I have failed to address this? Okay. I will address it now: "God is." Questions?

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
It's not uncommon for lovers to experience a mystical union where the two become one in mind and soul. In the mathematics of the Spirit, one = all.

If you're talking about sexual climax, it may certainly feel "mystical" to some, but there's a perfectly physical explanation for it (in keeping with materialism). In the mathematics of Reality, 1 =1, and there is no spirit. Quit using fuzzy math, or quit posting, please.

What's the "physical" explanation for two separate minds becoming one?

zarathustra wrote:
Pasiley wrote:
Also, the religious mind is much more apt at embracing the paradoxical than the scientific one.

Agreed. One such paradox would be..., hmm, let's see: "god-belief is rational. No, wait. It's non-rational!"

In other words, the religious mind is more apt at accepting logical contradictions than the scientific one. Which you have been beautifully demonstrating this whole time -- and very likely will continue to.

A paradox is that which appears to be self-contradictory but actually reveals a basic truth.

The religious mind understands that faith is required to reconcile that which defies logic (namely, the apparent duality of the phenomenal world).

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Dreams are ephemeral and illusory. But dreams themselves do pressuppose a mind that is dreaming.

god is entirely illusory. god-belief itself presupposes a mind that is irrational. Such as yours.

God is the conscious-awareness of all truth relations. Without presupposing this, there would be no rational basis to embark on a journey for the absolute truth. And as we have already established, your brand of "rationality" belies its intellectual basis and this is why it is ultimately incapable of making sense of the world.  

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:And you're a

magilum wrote:

You call this a logical argument?

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:

Are you really so desperate you have to reframe what are obviously just insults toward you as arguments? You've presented 30+ pages of uninterrupted twaddle so inane even your nominal peers (panentheists) have thrown their hands up in disgust.

Are you ready to admit to being a former or current born again yet?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Atheism is a lack

BMcD wrote:
Atheism is a lack of belief in God. It does not require an active disbelief in God (or as you might say, an active belief in no-God), though that is certainly one expression of it. I don't believe in God. I don't believe in anything, materialism included. I hold, as I have through this conversation, to the simple statement: I don't know. And nothing you have said does anything to dispel the simple truth that you don't know, either. You like to think you do, but all you have is based on untested intuition; a hunch, a hope that you cling to desperately with no way to verify it.

You have beliefs. And you're deluding yourself to think otherwise. Nihilism is inherently self-refuting.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:No, you haven't.

BMcD wrote:
No, you haven't. You haven't argued it successfully at all. You may have satisfied yourself with your argument (and in fact, I would expect you are quite self-satisfied with most everything you say), but I still remain here, rational, functional, and utterly without any faith in that which I perceive, only a willingness to interact with it according to the rules that seem to be in effect, because there is nothing else I can interact with, and no other way to interact with it.

Your failure to acknowledge that you have basic beliefs or convictions displays a flagrant disregard for intellectual honesty. As such, you forfeit your right to participate in this or any other rational discussion. 

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Paisley

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Are you really so desperate you have to reframe what are obviously just insults toward you as arguments?

I just wanted to ensure that you knew the difference between ad hominem attacks and a valid argument. In the future, if you want me to respond to your posts, then you will have to present some kind of logical argument and display a modicum of respect.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Caution: Projection in Progress..tin foil hat ON!!!

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Evidently you are asking the wrong questions because you have a basic misconception of pantheism.

"Evidently"? Since when did you start relying on evidence?

Evidently you have the wrong questions, because you have a basic misconception of Reality.

AND,evidently, you have no scruples about employing non-sequiturs, yet grow quite critical when they are lobbed at you.

Ad hominem attacks do not qualify as a valid argument.

Agreed.  Which is why you will not find an ad hominem in the preceding quote.  All you will find is a clear (and accurate) critique of your duplicity in regard to the use of non sequitur.

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Pantheism is the view that there is an all pervading consciousness which permeates the phenomenal world. So, the question to ask is if all biological organisms have conscious-awareness.

And the answer to that would be "No."

How do you know? Do you have the scientific means to determine this?

How do I know this?  Intuition!1

Paisley wrote:

Actually, tantric mysticism is specifically concerned with sublimating the sexual energy ("kundalini" in Sanskrit). And quite honestly, the orgasm of the lower sexual chakra pales in comparison with the higher ones. But now I am digressing.

Do you possibly use vaseline or coconut oil to reinforce your god-belief?

Paisley wrote:

God is forever extending His Self.

...with coconut oil?

Paisley wrote:
Such is the nature of love.

god is forever not existing.  Such is the nature of non-existence.

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
1. I have lack of faith and lack of faith seeks evidence.

Quote:
"Faith and desire go hand in hand, for everyone believes in what he wants." (source: ACIM)

zarathustra wrote:
2. It is the intrinsic nature of god to not exist.

You failed to address this. Quit dodging or quit posting, please.

I have failed to address this? Okay. I will address it now: "God is." Questions?

Actually, god isn't. Questions? 

(don't dodge, or don't post.)

Paisley wrote:

What's the "physical" explanation for two separate minds becoming one?

Schizophrenia.  That's the physical -- and rational -- explanation.

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Pasiley wrote:
Also, the religious mind is much more apt at embracing the paradoxical than the scientific one.

Agreed. One such paradox would be..., hmm, let's see: "god-belief is rational. No, wait. It's non-rational!"

In other words, the religious mind is more apt at accepting logical contradictions than the scientific one. Which you have been beautifully demonstrating this whole time -- and very likely will continue to.

A paradox is that which appears to be self-contradictory but actually reveals a basic truth.

Then what you've got is even less than a paradox.  You're just self-contradictory...with no truth, basic or otherwise.

Paisley wrote:

The religious mind understands that faith is required to reconcile that which defies logic (namely, the apparent duality of the phenomenal world).

Agreed.  The religious mind requires faith to believe in the illogical.   You've just demonstrated your belief in god is illogical.  Which means you have just fixed your own belief in god.  Congratulations, my long lost atheist brother.

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Dreams are ephemeral and illusory. But dreams themselves do pressuppose a mind that is dreaming.

god is entirely illusory. god-belief itself presupposes a mind that is irrational. Such as yours.

God is the conscious-awareness of all truth relations. Without presupposing this, there would be no rational basis to embark on a journey for the absolute truth.

"All truth relations?"  What is the "conscious-awareness" of

1. x = x

2. x = y y = x

3. x = y ^ y = z x = z

Presupposition is irrational, especially when that which is presupposed is false (such as god's existence).

Paisley wrote:
And as we have already established, your brand of "rationality" belies its intellectual basis and this is why it is ultimately incapable of making sense of the world.  

When did we establish this?  When you acknowledged that your belief in god was nothing more than "wishful thinking"?  Is "wishful thinking" the "intellectual basis" for "making sense of the world"?

Paisley, your belief in god has been fixed.  You're welcome.

πππ†
π†††

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ctressle wrote:Paisley

ctressle wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The real reason that individuals are posting in this thread is because they know that I am making points.

The real reason Paisley is posting in this thread is because he knows that we are making points.

I'll let you know when someone actually makes a valid point. It would appear that the majority of atheists on this forum confuse ad hominem attacks with valid arguments. Rational discourse requires some semblance of civility and emotional maturity. Unfortunately, both are lacking here.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

ctressle wrote:
Paisley wrote:
I'm sure it's been pointed out to you before, but faith and belief are two different things.

The atheist defines faith as belief without sufficient evidence.

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Are you really so desperate you have to reframe what are obviously just insults toward you as arguments?

I just wanted to ensure that you knew the difference between ad hominem attacks and a valid argument. In the future, if you want me to respond to your posts, then you will have to present some kind of logical argument and display a modicum of respect.

LOL.

I must have been offending you all along, since your "God is love" remarks could only have been to spite me and not an actual argument.

When were you "saved," BTW? I'm curious. You claim to be a panentheist, yet you default to the most transparently asinine Christian arguments, such as presupposition and empty rhetoric like "God is love." So I'm guessing you drifted away from the beliefs that were foisted on you at some early age, but your fear of death drove you into a slightly more homogenized load of monotheistic clap-trap. That's the immediate impression I get.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:ctressle

Paisley wrote:

ctressle wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The real reason that individuals are posting in this thread is because they know that I am making points.

The real reason Paisley is posting in this thread is because he knows that we are making points.

I'll let you know when someone actually makes a valid point. It would appear that the majority of atheists on this forum confuse ad hominem attacks with valid arguments. Rational discourse requires some semblance of civility and emotional maturity. Unfortunately, both are lacking here.

You've been responded to way more than you merit by folks like Nigel, Eloise, Will, etc., so don't cop out with this nonsense.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Or do you believe

BMcD wrote:
Or do you believe that anyone who espouses one part of your worldview is necessarily 100% accurate and correct in all things, and so you must conform your beliefs to theirs?

If so, please let me know so that I can purport to espouse your beliefs, and then make all sorts of utterly self-contradictory bullshit claims that... wait, you're already doing that. NEVERMIND.

Perhaps, I should adopt your beliefs and delude myself into thinking that I don't have beliefs. Huh? Sounds rational?

BMcD wrote:
Paisley wrote:

It's an argument on an internet forum. It is, by definition, pointless.

I agree that it is pointless to engage an individual in a discussion whose entire belief system is based on the patently false notion that he doesn't have any beliefs.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

ctressle wrote:
Paisley wrote:

It seems that Nobel Laureate physicist Eugene Wigner disagrees with you...

Quote:
He [Wigner] developed interest in the Vedanta philosophy of Hinduism, particularly with its ideas of the universe as an all pervading consciousness. In his collection of essays (Symmetries and Reflections- Scientific Essays), he commented "It was not possible to formulate the laws (of quantum theory) in a fully consistent way without reference to consciousness".

source: Wikipedia "Eugene Wigner"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_wigner 

It seems that our dear friend Paisley doesn't know the difference between a human being and some "absolute-authoritative-intuitive-god thingy". In other words: Would it be OK with you Paisley, if we happen to disagree with Wigner on something? I mean, he's not god or anything. Unless you believe otherwise?

By the way, Symmetries and Reflections- Scientific Essays doesn't appear to be a scientific journal. 

I was simply responding to the assertion of "HisWillness" that....

HisWillness wrote:
The idea that quantum mechanics could be interpreted to mean that "mind is fundamental" could only be espoused by someone who has experienced a complete and utter disconnect from the reality of quantum theory.

Are you seriously arguing that Eugene Wigner has a "complete and utter disconnect with quantum theory?"

By the way, "interpretations" are not scientific theories. So, there would be no reason to publish it in a scientific journal.