I'm a believer in God. Can you please help me fix it? [Trollville]

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
I'm a believer in God. Can you please help me fix it? [Trollville]

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
No

No


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
I didn't think so.

I didn't think so.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Yes

Yes


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
Some more info would be

Some more info would be nice.I'm assuming you mean the christian god?


thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2007-02-07
User is offlineOffline
I thought love was Only true

I thought love was
Only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else
But not for me
Love was out to get to me
That's the way it seems
Disappointment haunted
All my dreams

And then I saw her face
Now I'm a believer
Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind
I'm in love
I'm a believer
I couldn't leave her
If I tried

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Some more info

Loc wrote:
Some more info would be nice.I'm assuming you mean the christian god?

No, your assumption would be false. I will assume that your atheism is a rejection of all God-concepts. If you're not prepared to exorcise me of my conviction in a universal mind greater than my own, then I suggest you visit another thread.

 

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2478
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:I thought love

thingy wrote:

I thought love was
Only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else
But not for me
Love was out to get to me
That's the way it seems
Disappointment haunted
All my dreams

And then I saw her face
Now I'm a believer
Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind
I'm in love
I'm a believer
I couldn't leave her
If I tried

As written by Neil Diamond and performed 1st by The Monkees in 1966

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:I thought love

thingy wrote:

I thought love was
Only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else
But not for me
Love was out to get to me
That's the way it seems
Disappointment haunted
All my dreams

And then I saw her face
Now I'm a believer
Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind
I'm in love
I'm a believer
I couldn't leave her
If I tried

 

Yeah, I like the Monkees. Now take the "Last Train to Clarksville" because I still have my God-belief. Hopefully, the "Rational Reponse Squad" can muster better respones than this.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:No, your

Paisley wrote:

No, your assumption would be false. I will assume that your atheism is a rejection of all God-concepts.

Well that's what atheism generally is.

 

 

Paisley wrote:
If you're not prepared to exorcise me of my conviction in a universal mind greater than my own
,

So are you a deist?

Paisley wrote:
then I suggest you visit another thread.

Nice way to endear people to you.

 

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:Well that's what

Loc wrote:
Well that's what atheism generally is.

That's what they say.

Loc wrote:
So are you a deist?

No, I am a pantheist/panentheist.

Loc wrote:
Nice way to endear people to you.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you.

 

 

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2478
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
exorcise me of my conviction

No one can exorcise you of your God conviction, you do. You are the only one that can change your beliefs. Everyone comes to their own realization that what they were taught, told, or indoctrinated with cannot be possibly be true. One may have to accept that the Truth isn't out there and the reality of the past practiced religions were based on myths or legends. If you believe in there must be a God because look at the wonderful complex Universe, I would suggest you read Carl Sagan.

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
As much as I'd like to help,

As much as I'd like to help, I don't have much knowledge of pantheism. If you really want to learn,look around the site and you'll find lots of info.If you're just looking for a argument, hold on and I'm sure one of the more experienced and knowledgeable posters will show up sometime.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:No

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
No one can exorcise you of your God conviction, you do.

Then this forum is making a false advertisement. The motto says:

Believe in God?  We can fix that.

 

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
You are the only one that can change your beliefs. Everyone comes to their own realization that what they were taught, told, or indoctrinated with cannot be possibly be true. One may have to accept that the Truth isn't out there and the reality of the past practiced religions were based on myths or legends. If you believe in there must be a God because look at the wonderful complex Universe, I would suggest you read Carl Sagan.

I believe in the Truth. That's why I have a God-belief. The atheistic worldview appears to me as irrational and absurd. How can a worldview be true when it denies truth itself?

 

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:As much as I'd

Loc wrote:
As much as I'd like to help, I don't have much knowledge of pantheism. If you really want to learn,look around the site and you'll find lots of info.If you're just looking for a argument, hold on and I'm sure one of the more experienced and knowledgeable posters will show up sometime.

Okay. I'll wait. But my guess is that I'll be waiting for a long time.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I believe in

Paisley wrote:

I believe in the Truth. That's why I have a God-belief. The atheistic worldview appears to me as irrational and absurd. How can a worldview be true when it denies truth itself?

 

There is no reason to believe your truth is any more true than thousands of others out there. Perhaps you could explain exactly what it is you believe,if you'll excuse the ignorance.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:There is no reason

Loc wrote:
There is no reason to believe your truth is any more true than thousands of others out there. Perhaps you could explain exactly what it is you believe,if you'll excuse the ignorance.

I believe that absolute truth can be experientially known.

 

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


AmericanIdle
Posts: 414
Joined: 2007-03-16
User is offlineOffline
I just know you're not going

I just know you're not going to be one of those people so consumed by their own ego that they believe everyone should understand or conceptualize "god" exactly as they do.

You want an answer...then define your god ! 

Quote:
The atheistic worldview appears to me as irrational and absurd.

Also, explain that.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2478
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I believe in

Paisley wrote:

I believe in the Truth. That's why I have a God-belief. The atheistic worldview appears to me as irrational and absurd. How can a worldview be true when it denies truth itself?

 

What truth do you believe?

I accept the truth. The truth I see is the Universe is complex. We are still learning about it. I don't have a basis to accept that there is a god of any type that made it. I require proof to accept that there is even a god that made the universe or he is the universe.

My comment that you have to be the one to accept there is no god means only that there is no magic spell to do it. After you research, study, and question realization may come upon you. God of any type requires proof that you accept. If you have that proof to your own rationalization, then why are you here?

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


Religious_Rebel
Religious_Rebel's picture
Posts: 41
Joined: 2008-03-05
User is offlineOffline
Greetings

I get the feeling the original poster is dripping with sarcasm and just pulling your legs.  Are you trying to waste people's time?

It is said the great ones catch teardrops in their hands.


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:I just

AmericanIdle wrote:
I just know you're not going to be one of those people so consumed by their own ego that they believe everyone should understand or conceptualize "god" exactly as they do.

You want an answer...then define your god !

God = Universal Mind/Spirit

 

AmericanIdle wrote:
Quote:
The atheistic worldview appears to me as irrational and absurd.

Also, explain that.

Sure...in the worldview of atheistic materialism, there is no ulitimate purpose. As such, life is ultimately meaningless and absurd. An absurd worldview is an irrational one by definition.

 

 

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2478
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: I believe

Paisley wrote:

 

I believe that absolute truth can be experientially known.

 

That would be fantastic, however we may not live long enough for that to occur. Technology and knowledge advances on an exponential basis. In 500 years we have learned the Earth is not the center of the Universe, the Moon isn't made of green cheese, and there are other planets in the habitable zone in our own area of the galaxy. As more knowledge accumulates and science progresses more of the Universe will be understood.

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
Religious_Rebel wrote:I get

Religious_Rebel wrote:

I get the feeling the original poster is dripping with sarcasm and just pulling your legs.  Are you trying to waste people's time?

Unless you're capable of making a rational argument, you'll be wasting both of our time.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Quote:the Moon isn't made of

Quote:

the Moon isn't made of green cheese,

 

Really?

 

*walks away kicking an old rusty pop can*


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

Paisley wrote:

 

I believe that absolute truth can be experientially known.

 

That would be fantastic, however we may not live long enough for that to occur. Technology and knowledge advances on an exponential basis. In 500 years we have learned the Earth is not the center of the Universe, the Moon isn't made of green cheese, and there are other planets in the habitable zone in our own area of the galaxy. As more knowledge accumulates and science progresses more of the Universe will be understood.

I think the atheistic worldview is a little more pessimistic than that. According to your worldview, all that awaits you is eternal death and knowing the truth is not even possible in theory.

 

 

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


AmericanIdle
Posts: 414
Joined: 2007-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:AmericanIdle

Paisley wrote:

AmericanIdle wrote:
I just know you're not going to be one of those people so consumed by their own ego that they believe everyone should understand or conceptualize "god" exactly as they do.

You want an answer...then define your god !

God = Universal Mind/Spirit

 

AmericanIdle wrote:
Quote:
The atheistic worldview appears to me as irrational and absurd.

Also, explain that.

Sure...in the worldview of atheistic materialism, there is no ulitimate purpose. As such, life is ultimately meaningless and absurd. An absurd worldview is an irrational one by definition.

 

 

 

1.)  That's not a definition.

2.)  Life has the meaning you give to it and no superstitious placebo is needed to play the role of substitute.

3.)  The only meaningless life I can think of is one that learns to be satisfied w/ lying to oneself.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2478
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: Sure...in

Paisley wrote:

 

Sure...in the worldview of atheistic materialism, there is no ulitimate purpose. As such, life is ultimately meaningless and absurd. An absurd worldview is an irrational one by definition.

 

I have a purpose as defined by my own self-interest, just as you do. I seek knowledge as part of my purpose to know all there is to know, and to learn all there is to learn. As to if there is anything more, you'll find out soon enough. I don't see life as ultimately meaningless at all. Life to me has much to offer and much to understand.

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: I think the

Paisley wrote:

 


I think the atheistic worldview is a little more pessimistic than that. According to your worldview, all that awaits you is eternal death and knowing the truth is not even possible in theory.

 

So you're saying you don't like atheism because it's pessimistic? Firstly,atheists generally have happy fulfilling lives.We got one chance so we try enjoy it. You were dead for millenia before your birth,so I don't see why people get so hung up on 'eternal death.' It may be true that we may never know the truth about god/s, but given the small chance of any one of the thousands of possibilities being right,I'd say we're closer to the truth.

 

 

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2478
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: I think the

Paisley wrote:

 

I think the atheistic worldview is a little more pessimistic than that. According to your worldview, all that awaits you is eternal death and knowing the truth is not even possible in theory.

 

So in your view as a pantheist what awaits you with an uncaring god of the Universe? Or are you into the all encompassing type of pantheism??

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:1.) 

AmericanIdle wrote:
1.)  That's not a definition.

I define God as Universal Mind.  Unless you have a rational argument why I shouldn't believe that Universal Mind constitutes ultimate reality, then I guess you're not going to be successful in ridding me of my God-belief.

AmericanIdle wrote:
2.)  Life has the meaning you give to it and no superstitious placebo is needed to play the role of substitute.

In the atheistic worldview, life does not have an ultimate purpose. To argue otherwise is make an argument for some form of theism. 

AmericanIdle wrote:
3.)  The only meaningless life I can think of is one that learns to be satisfied w/ lying to oneself.

If you were intellectually honest, then you would admit that an atheist's life must ultimately be meaninglness and absurd.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
I have a purpose as defined by my own self-interest, just as you do. I seek knowledge as part of my purpose to know all there is to know, and to learn all there is to learn. As to if there is anything more, you'll find out soon enough. I don't see life as ultimately meaningless at all. Life to me has much to offer and much to understand.

In the worldview of atheistic materialism, life is ultimately without purpose and meaning. To suggest otherwise is to make a theistic argument.  I am simply taking atheism to its logical conclusion. I expect you to do the same. If not, then you have no right to say that you're rational.

 

 

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:So

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
So in your view as a pantheist what awaits you with an uncaring god of the Universe? Or are you into the all encompassing type of pantheism?

Self-knowledge, Truth, Peace, Joy, Eternal life.

Do you have something better to offer me?

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


AmericanIdle
Posts: 414
Joined: 2007-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:AmericanIdle

Paisley wrote:

AmericanIdle wrote:
1.)  That's not a definition.

I define God as Universal Mind.  Unless you have a rational argument why I shouldn't believe that Universal Mind constitutes ultimate reality, then I guess you're not going to be successful in ridding me of my God-belief.

AmericanIdle wrote:
2.)  Life has the meaning you give to it and no superstitious placebo is needed to play the role of substitute.

In the atheistic worldview, life does not have an ultimate purpose. To argue otherwise is make an argument for some form of theism. 

AmericanIdle wrote:
3.)  The only meaningless life I can think of is one that learns to be satisfied w/ lying to oneself.

If you were intellectually honest, then you would admit that an atheist's life must ultimately be meaninglness and absurd.

So far the ONLY thing that's meaningless and absurd is the point that you're failing to make. 

If "Universal Mind" is the only explanation you're going to give in this so far pointless thread, I couldn't care less what you believe, but ridding the world of such vague nonsense has to qualify as a higher purpose doesn't it ?

And.............I'm in before the cat !!

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
A post should reflect the

A post should reflect the thread, so here's a vacuous, grating and pointless one.

 


BMcD
Posts: 777
Joined: 2006-12-20
User is offlineOffline
I can, if you approach the

I can, if you approach the subject with an open mind and a committment to making no assertions you cannot prove.

 

So far, you seem unwilling to do so.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
 Paisley asks, I'm a

 

Paisley asks, I'm a believer in God. Can you please help fix it?

  ....  if you are not "god" , there is only hope for your closed separatist mind !  See, the thing is, you, as everything is god, the way I define it ... Pantheists, the way I generally read them, got it about right ???   No master ...

RRS is dedicated to destroying GOD of abe, types, the way I read it .... 

How do you read it ? ... do help us. RRS cares ..... me GOD too.       ummm god ? What do ya mean by that ???

 

 ... Believe in God [of Abe] ?  We can fix that.  RRS !  .... yea, fuck abe's god ... but I can like fun god's like "Thor" ....       

 


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:God =

Paisley wrote:

God = Universal Mind/Spirit

Kinda vague, but okay. You have a thingee we'll call God, and it's the universal mind/spirit. Is that like Jung's collective unconscious? 

Paisley wrote:
Sure...in the worldview of atheistic materialism, there is no ulitimate purpose. As such, life is ultimately meaningless and absurd. An absurd worldview is an irrational one by definition.

Woah there - you just made some frantic leaps there that aren't connected, and are unfounded. In the worldview of atheistic materialism, one is left to find a purpose, whether it is "ulitimate" or not. Life, in that case, is not necessarily meaningless or absurd.

When you say "absurd worldview", do you mean one where mystery is explained every time by a supernatural entity?

Before you reach the conclusion that you will never be addressed properly, wait for a bit. Some of us have lives.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
I have a purpose as defined by my own self-interest, just as you do. I seek knowledge as part of my purpose to know all there is to know, and to learn all there is to learn. As to if there is anything more, you'll find out soon enough. I don't see life as ultimately meaningless at all. Life to me has much to offer and much to understand.

In the worldview of atheistic materialism, life is ultimately without purpose and meaning. To suggest otherwise is to make a theistic argument.  I am simply taking atheism to its logical conclusion. I expect you to do the same. If not, then you have no right to say that you're rational. 

You just repeated what you said before, apparently without reading what pauljohn had to say. So who's being irrational?

Also, "To suggest otherwise is to make a theistic argument" is a monumental leap. You haven't even defined your supernatural entity, and now you're imagining that anyone who has found a purpose in life has resorted to theism?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


qbg
Posts: 298
Joined: 2006-11-22
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
So in your view as a pantheist what awaits you with an uncaring god of the Universe? Or are you into the all encompassing type of pantheism?

Self-knowledge, Truth, Peace, Joy, Eternal life.

Do you have something better to offer me?


I'll says non-contradiction unless you can demonstrate that eternal life claim.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2478
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
qbg wrote:Paisley

qbg wrote:
Paisley wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
So in your view as a pantheist what awaits you with an uncaring god of the Universe? Or are you into the all encompassing type of pantheism?

Self-knowledge, Truth, Peace, Joy, Eternal life.

Do you have something better to offer me?

I'll says non-contradiction unless you can demonstrate that eternal life claim.

Eternal life in what way? How do you demonstrate that as a part of an uncaring Universal Mind? Please bring forth such evidence and place on the lab table.

will wrote:
Paisley Paisley wrote:
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
I have a purpose as defined by my own self-interest, just as you do. I seek knowledge as part of my purpose to know all there is to know, and to learn all there is to learn. As to if there is anything more, you'll find out soon enough. I don't see life as ultimately meaningless at all. Life to me has much to offer and much to understand.

In the worldview of atheistic materialism, life is ultimately without purpose and meaning. To suggest otherwise is to make a theistic argument.  I am simply taking atheism to its logical conclusion. I expect you to do the same. If not, then you have no right to say that you're rational. 

 

will wrote:

You just repeated what you said before, apparently without reading what pauljohn had to say. So who's being irrational?

Also, "To suggest otherwise is to make a theistic argument" is a monumental leap. You haven't even defined your supernatural entity, and now you're imagining that anyone who has found a purpose in life has resorted to theism?

Pursuit of knowledge does not require theism, it is as I said in the self-interest of man to do so. It in fact leads to all you say you are seeking, except of course your vague idea that eternal life is a possibility. A claim that I'm not rational because I seek knowledge without theism may be your logical conclusion but it's not mine. Believing that some hidden all encompassing mind spirit directs the universe without basis or proof is not rational from my perspective.

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
I have a purpose as defined by my own self-interest, just as you do. I seek knowledge as part of my purpose to know all there is to know, and to learn all there is to learn. As to if there is anything more, you'll find out soon enough. I don't see life as ultimately meaningless at all. Life to me has much to offer and much to understand.

In the worldview of atheistic materialism, life is ultimately without purpose and meaning. To suggest otherwise is to make a theistic argument.  I am simply taking atheism to its logical conclusion. I expect you to do the same. If not, then you have no right to say that you're rational.

 

 

 

Your taking Atheism to it's logical conclusion??? REAAAALLLY.....lets see, I do not believe in any gods, that AUTOMATICALLY makes it materialism? Because it doesn't believe in supernatural beings that self-refute themselves? Hmmm yes because ALL atheists are materialists right?

    Lets check some stuff here, your first off you aren't really defining materialism, it's a broad definition to start with, from philosophical idea of ancient greece, india, to religious philosophies of buddhism (speciafically the Jaina sect) and confucion or are you talking about Descartes view of materialism? Now does everyone follow this? Nope not even close. Some atheists take this view? Yes, but not all. Why? Because it is not necessarily true for each person, their logical conclusion doesn't alway lead to materialism.

It is like saying all buddhists are materialists because there is a sect, Jaina, that does follow this philosophical idea, or Hindus are materialist because some hindu sects follow this idea, it's quite illogical to think this way.

Many atheists I would argue lean more towards either humanism or naturalism, however there is no one set of ideologies or behaviors that atheists adhere to. There are those that also follow the following philosophies: existentialism, objectivism, nihilism, logical positivism, Marxism, feminism, rational movement, neopositivism, analytical philosophy, structuralism, and some do follow materialism. So now that your ignorance on the topic has been shown, please do not bring up your illogical conclusions like that again


Rocas511
Scientist
Rocas511's picture
Posts: 54
Joined: 2008-01-19
User is offlineOffline
My but you are a snarky

My but you are a snarky one.  If you want to have a genuine discussion then be a bit more forthcoming.  Otherwise you should find another thread.

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

-James Madison-


Rocas511
Scientist
Rocas511's picture
Posts: 54
Joined: 2008-01-19
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
So in your view as a pantheist what awaits you with an uncaring god of the Universe? Or are you into the all encompassing type of pantheism?

Self-knowledge, Truth, Peace, Joy, Eternal life.

Do you have something better to offer me?

We cannot offer you eternal life, but then neither can religion, not really.  It can offer you the belief in eternal life but that is hardly the same thing.  Science and reason can offer you knowlege and an honest search for truth, but the joy part is completely up to you.

 

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

-James Madison-


Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
Posts: 440
Joined: 2008-02-07
User is offlineOffline
Most of us here are

Most of us here are weak-atheists and open to the existence of a creator/god whatever you want to call it. However, as far as I can tell, your OP is another rehash trying to disprove the existence of god.

I think you are taking the motto of this site way too literally, but then again I realize that the scarcasm dripping from your post is as pious as most fundy christians. I won't speak for everyone here, but I am uninterested in de-converting anyone from their beliefs. Do I believe organized religions are pointless and irrational? Yes I do. What evidence can you provide that bolsters the presence of a deity? 

I am not an expert in pantheism, but without any evidence of some universal mind it is just another irrational concept. I could almost see some form of conscience existing in the universe controlling the laws of the universe, but without any real evidence to support it I still have to write it off.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
I have a purpose as defined by my own self-interest, just as you do. I seek knowledge as part of my purpose to know all there is to know, and to learn all there is to learn. As to if there is anything more, you'll find out soon enough. I don't see life as ultimately meaningless at all. Life to me has much to offer and much to understand.

In the worldview of atheistic materialism, life is ultimately without purpose and meaning. To suggest otherwise is to make a theistic argument.  I am simply taking atheism to its logical conclusion. I expect you to do the same. If not, then you have no right to say that you're rational.

 

 

So, would you say that a person who thinks he/she creates their own purpose in life is setting themselves up as a god (at least for their life)?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
Posts: 702
Joined: 2006-08-03
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:God =

Paisley wrote:
God = Universal Mind/Spirit

I'll take this non-answer and call your bluff with: God = jahewriueasghkasriug. Any more meaningless 'definitions' you wish to add?


shikko
Posts: 448
Joined: 2007-05-23
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Loc

Paisley wrote:

Loc wrote:
There is no reason to believe your truth is any more true than thousands of others out there. Perhaps you could explain exactly what it is you believe,if you'll excuse the ignorance.

I believe that absolute truth can be experientially known.

Any good math teacher can tell you this.

Here's one for you:

Quote:
Given sets A, B

(A (subset) B) ^ (B (subset) A)  --> A = B.

Universally true, and you just experienced it!

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
AmericanIdle wrote:So far

AmericanIdle wrote:
So far the ONLY thing that's meaningless and absurd is the point that you're failing to make.

In the atheistic worldview, life (existence, nature, call it what you will) has no ultimate purpose.

Perhaps, I should quote Richard Dawkins:

"Natural selection, the blind, unconscious, automatic process which Darwin discovered, and which we now know is the explanation for the existence and apparently purposeful form of all life, has no purpose in mind. It has no mind and no mind's eye. It does not plan for the future. It has no vision, no foresight, no sight at all. If it can be said to play the role of watchmaker in nature, it is the blind watchmaker." (source: "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins)

AmericanIdle wrote:
If "Universal Mind" is the only explanation you're going to give in this so far pointless thread, I couldn't care less what you believe, but ridding the world of such vague nonsense has to qualify as a higher purpose doesn't it ?

Unless Universal Mind (God) constitutes ultimate reality, then there is no rational basis to state life has a higher purpose because a higher purpose  requires a higher intelligence.

Of course, I believe my life has a higher purpose. This is why I have a "God-belief."

 

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:A post should

magilum wrote:
A post should reflect the thread, so here's a vacuous, grating and pointless one. 

This forum advertises itself as being capable of fixing my God-belief. I am still awaiting for a rational response from the "Rational Reponse Squad" that will make good on this promise.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:I can, if you

BMcD wrote:
I can, if you approach the subject with an open mind and a committment to making no assertions you cannot prove.

 

So far, you seem unwilling to do so.

Actually, an atheist has a closed-mind by definition. "He cannot believe in something without evidence." Right?

What false assertions do you believe that I have made?

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead


Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
Posts: 1933
Joined: 2008-03-13
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote: RRS

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:
 RRS is dedicated to destroying the GOD of abe, the way I read it

RRS is advertising itself as upholding rationalism. I do not believe that the atheistic worldview is rational. If I did, then I would be an atheist.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead