Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm a believer in God. Can you please help me fix it? [Trollville]

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Most all people would agree

Most all people would agree life and this cosmos is amazing and "Gawedly". The more we discover, the more amazed we are, and I assume the awe will continue for a long time, probably until our demise.

I have a problem with the saying "god is love and light". It camouflages the inherent opposites, tho it doesn't necessarily imply a separation of we from god. There is the "caring and the indifferent (not caring)" . Our consciousness makes us the "caring", dealing with the the "non-caring". Yin-Yang. God is all, including hate and darkness. 

Therefore the P god definition is too simplistic for the young. How does god (reality) work ? The children also need knowledge of danger, physical and mental. ( the beast in the beautiful forest, the rattlesnake in the grass, the kidnapper, food poisoning, etc etc .... )

And so the summary you provided Paisley, is not really helpful ..... and can even be dangerous. You have faith? Wow, you have "AWE" .....  You love Love ! ..... me too ..... I am atheist .....

When a child asks me what is god?, I say "this" is god, us included. How did all this happen ? No one knows. Does god know ? .... Well god is everything, so yes and no. Hey kid, if you want to know god, be a scientist, but never ever ever look for god in religion. Knowing about all religion is good, as long as you realize all is god. The ancient "golden rule" pretty much says it all .... regarding the bits of useful wisdom found in religions .... Hey kid, how bout let's go get some "gawedly love" , whatta mean old man ?  .... an ice cream cone !  .....

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:1.)

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

1.) Banishment

2.) Curses

3.) Plagues

4.) Genocide

5.) Hell

...etc, etc

You guys and your brains are so ridiculous. Don't you know about "tough love"?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Yup, that's awesome god

Yup, that's awesome god for ya, on your knees or else ..... 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:The question

Paisley wrote:

The question was: Do you really believe that love is ultimate reality?

No. I think there is a set of human behaviours we call love. "Ultimate reality" (or just "reality" for people who don't need the extra horns-a-blowing) certainly has love in it.

Paisley wrote:
If yes, then you have a lurking God-belief. If no, then you should now understand the theological significance of the statement "God is love."

If yes, then I'm certifiable. But why would I understand the theological significance of the statement "God is love" by denying something nonsensical? I think I finally understand the significance of "God is nachos", though. It's a revelation.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
paisley wrote:Loc wrote:So

paisley wrote:

Loc wrote:
So are you a deist?

No, I am a pantheist/panentheist.

I understand both pantheist (the universe is God) and panentheism (God is the universe, plus something outside the universe).

How do you combine the two? What is your synthesis? (Seriously, I'm curious.)

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Incidentally, Nigel argues that "intuition" is irrational. I say that it is nonrational (mainly because the term "irrational" has a negative connotation).

Hey, now. I think you misunderstand me. I don't believe I have said "intuition" is irrational. I believe I have said it is unreliable as a source of knowledge. If I have stated or implied otherwise, my apologies.

I have said that trusting intuition as a sole source of knowledge is irrational. That's like trusting a good friend who only occasionally tells the truth. You'll want to have outside confirmation before you fully believe one of his statements.

That's all I was getting at.

Now you're changing your tune.

In Post 282 on pg. 18, you stated...

nigelTheBold wrote:
The foundation on which you build it is irrational. Therefore, any conclusions from that foundation are also irrational, irrespective of the logic of the construct. You have nothing to support a rational "formulation."

To which I replied...

Paisley wrote:
The foundation is built on intuition (it's non-rational, not irrational). And inductive reasoning itself arises from the intuitive.

To which you replied on pg. 22...

nigelTheBold wrote:
Irrational. Non-rational. Whatever. It's still not rational.

That exactly what I mean, all in the same tune.

You're confusing an argument against a specific, with an argument against a generic. In general, I believe the intuitive mind is unreliable. That is, it synthesizes a lot of information into ideas. These ideas may be correct (that is, correspond with reality) or incorrect (or, just ridiculous shit that our minds made up). Our intuitive mind can solve a problem quickly, by coming to correct conclusion quickly; or, it can lead you off into the weeds with all kinds of crazy ideas that have nothing to do with reality. (This is similar to the problems with induction, which you pointed out earlier.) The intuitive mind presents possibilities, each of which is up to the analytical mind to distinguish as rational, or irrational.

The conclusion that God exists based on a happy feeling is irrational, as it excludes the rational mind. So what I'm saying is simply this: you present (as your only evidence) a feeling. A state of mind. A place you have been. That's it. This is not rational (as you have stated yourself.)

Now. I will also say that, as long as you recognize this as irrational, this self-exploration has merit. Not the same sort of merit as empirical evidence, but merit nonetheless. I would not base a view of reality on any feeling or concept based on this introspection. But I would allow this as a starting point of discussion, as long as everyone understood this had nothing to do with observable reality.

My problem is with your constant (and irrational) assertion that you have trumped rational empiricism with irrational (or non-rational, if you choose) introspection.

Quote:

By the way, are you going to respond to post 672 (pg. 22) concerning "Evolutionary Quantum Computation" (EQC)?

I'll respond to that as soon as you explain the epistemological basis for your metaphysics, which I asked for a long time ago.

However, I'll give you a head start: read some Lee Smolin. You'll understand that EQC does not equate with God.

[EDIT]

Damnit, not Lee Smolin (though you should read him, too). I meant, "read some Seth Lloyd." That's what I meant.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  That's it dammit. I don't

That's it dammit. I don't no doctor P

WASP - I Dont Need No Doctor

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Px7QZYgp1tk

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
Paisley wrote:
I have already provided you with Merriam-Webster's definition of "absurd." I'm not going to repeat myself.

Your worldview is absurd. I will ask you to take ownership of it.

Yeah. That's what I thought. I figured you'd dodge the issue entirely.

Your worldview is subjective and delusional. I will ask you to take ownership of it.

I will remind you that the worldviews of both your daughter and her mother are also based on subjective experiences. So I trust that you will display a modicum of fair play and characterize them (as well as all theists) as being delusional. You can't have it both ways. If you insist on charging me with being delusional, then you will indict all believers on the same charge by default.

Paisley: it's because of things like this that I really like you. Seriously. I would've left this discussion a long time ago, except you still surprise me, in a good way. This is one of the best points you've brought up, though it has no relation to your argument.

Years ago, when I married, I was an agnostic atheist. I did not believe in God, but I understood the universe was so complex, so beautiful, I had an intuition of God. As I studied, I understood this was Spinoza's God, Einstein's God, the God of a perfect universe. I didn't believe this was God (any more than Einstein did, apparently), but I understood that God could exist. So marrying a believer was not hard. I thought Love Would Conquer All.

Since then, I have realized there are logical reasons God can't exist. But I also understand there are logical reasons people want God to exist.

So: yes, I believe my ex-wife is delusional. I believe my daughter is delusional. These aren't easy conclusions, considering the love I have for my daughter, and the respect I have for my ex-wife. However, these are also easy delusions. It's easy to believe in God, when the alternative is to understand that our only legacy is our affect on the people we love, the things we write, the ideas we imprint on others. These are not delusions on par with believing you are God (such as Manson, or others like him). This are mild delusions, almost respectable delusions.

Just to be clear: we all have delusions. My in that mankind is generally good. I believe we are getting better, that we are leaving adolescence behind, and moving on to a next stage (whatever that stage may be). When I said we all had non-rationality, this is what I meant. I do have irrational beliefs.

The difference is, I don't try to claim my irrational beliefs trump rational beliefs.

Quote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
See how that ends up? You're doing the whole, "Am not," "Am too," schoolyard argument. All I asked for was a little logic, an attempt to deconstruct a logical position. Instead, you once again assert your unsubstantiated thesis and call it a rebuttal.

I provided with you with a simple logical argument. It's bullet-proof. If you view the world as ultimately being meaningless and absurd then you have an absurd worldview. Whether you believe you used "rationality" to arrive at this conclusion is irrelevant. The bottom-line is that your worldview is absurd. No further commentary is required.

I view life as ultimately having meaning and value. My worldview is not absurd. If you want a meaningful worldview, then you will have to borrow capital from mine.

nigelTheBold wrote:
A rational worldview is one that is congruent with reality; yours is not. introspection has been proven to be unreliable. You have no epistemology to support your metaphysics, and so you have no framework by which to claim knowledge.

I am not claiming to have absolute knowledge of God. This is why it is called faith. Duh!

I like you more all the time. I'm grinning my fool head off at this.

You are at your best when you are at your most honest. If you want to continue the discussion of your knowledge of God, I'd be happy. This, to me, contains more possible fruitful discussion than anything you've said so far.

Quote:

Metaphysics is concerned with the nature of reality. All metaphysical positions are beliefs. This bears repeating.  All metaphysical positions are BELIEFS! (This includes the metaphysical position known as materialism or physicalism!) You do not have knowledge of ultimate reality. So I will kindly ask you  to stop making this pretense that you do. It's intellectually dishonest.

The belief in God is not subject to the scientific method. It cannot be disproven.

Just because you have limited your worldview to the scientific method gives you no justification to impose this same limitation upon everyone else. I know that this is a point of contention for you but I suggest you learn to deal with it.

It's not intellectually dishonest. I have presented my epistemology, my basis of knowledge. You have not. The only intellectual dishonesty is yours. I have been forthright, honest. You have hidden behind platitudes and inane wordplay. I believe you truly mean everything you say, so I think calling it "intellectual dishonesty" is not quite correct, either. I think you just haven't developed a full epistemology, which is why I've been harping on it.

My worldview is based on something that has given us a coherent ontology that is congruent with reality. The reason I call this out is simple: any epsitemology must be coherent, and it must be congruent with observed reality. Otherwise, it is not rational. I'm describing the merest, simplest, most complete form of rationalism available. And all I ask of you is this: provide an epistemology that is coherent, and congruent with observed reality. It might not be that provided by science; your ontology might be completely orthogonal to that provided by science. (There is a lot of evidence that the ontology currently provided by science is not the last word in realistic congruence.)

Dude, I don't doubt your sincerity. It's your logic I question.

As far as my limiting people with my own metaphysics:

As soon as you come up with an epistemology to support your metaphysics, I'll take it seriously, as long as it is coherent, and congruent with observed reality. I only limit those without defined, internally-consistent limits of their own.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  We are ONE !  I did say

We are ONE !  I did say I love you and thanks , really mr. P , This has been blessing.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:  We

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

We are ONE !  I did say I love you and thanks , really mr. P , This has been blessing.

....yes, a blessing !  ( a blessing, like accidentally shooting yourself in the hand with a nail gun or stepping into                                          a pile of dog poop while walking barefoot.  )

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:That's

nigelTheBold wrote:
That's okay. It lines right up. I never asserted that there was no proof that love didn't exist. As my quote says, I asked him to prove that love exists, and is an objective, external force that pervades the universe, and that it is equivalent to the non-existent Theory of Everything. Basically, I gave him the burden of proof all packaged up in a nice little outline, and he discarded it, rather than dealing with it.

Why don't you say the truth instead of engaging in mischaracterizations?

To begin with, I simply stated that the scientist and the mystic are searching in their own way for the same thing - namely, a unversal law or principle to explain everything. The scientist calls this law the elusive "theory or everything" while the mystic calls it "love."

Secondly, when you challenged me on this, I quoted Albert Einstein who stated that the mystical is both the source for true science as well as true religion.

While I do believe that God is love, I do not believe it can be proven by the scientific method. This is why I said the only "proof" is faith. Just because you are insisting that I prove it according to your preconceived methodology does not mean that I must oblige.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Paisley, I

zarathustra wrote:

Paisley, I do not believe the pantheistic worldview is compatible with our basic biology.  If I did, then I would be a pantheist1.

trinitarian theology is mathematically inconsistent. 

If our existence is absurd because we are nothing more than matter, than god is even more absurd, because god isn't even material.  By definition, god cannot exist. 

Your pantheism has now been fixed.  You're welcome.

What's the incompatibility between pantheism/panentheism and biology?

I believe God is love and that love is a triadic relationship in which the lover and the beloved are united as one in love. The term "trinity" literally means "three in unity."

Materialism itself is actually the view that permanent elementary particles constitute ultimate reality and that all perceived change is simply a re-arrangement of these elementary particles based on purely deterministic laws. However, such a view is no longer tenable in light of the theory of relativity and quantum theory. The bottom-line is that there are no permanent elementary particles. So, what you call the physical is actually quite ephemeral and illusory.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The fact is that quantum theory views matter as being both a wave and a particle.

Is that in reply to something?

Yes. You said previously that something could not be in two different states at the same time.

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Okay. So if physics reduces all phenomena to a mathematical abstraction, then what does this imply? Where's the "thing-in-itself?" Or what's the "thing-in-itself?"

You're conflating your reification of "love" with the fundamental question of existence. We can test the former without understanding to the latter. The latter doesn't affect how we approach anything at this point, so pretending to be informed by it is a laughable red herring and another gap into which to couch your hilarious god concept.

No. You're the one who is confusing mathematical abstractions for "reified objects." Mathematical equations simply show the relations between phenomena. They are not really material objects. If there is no "thing-in-itself," then there is no basis for materialism. 

magilum wrote:
You've drawn a circle of logic with nothing inside or along it.

You're making my point. This is what happens when you reduce all phenomena to a mathematical abstraction.

magilum wrote:
"It's good for an uneducated man to read a book of quotes." -- Winston Churchill

You're confusing sarcasm for intelligent wit.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
....just curious Paisley, but did Sam Harris' spiritual conversion have any influence upon your decision to seek God ?  If "yes" could you please demonstrate using ample quotations from his popular book "The End of Faith" ?

No. But Sam Harris actually made the same argument in his book (ironically entitled 'The End of Faith') which I am making in this thread - namely that faith itself actually underlies rationality. What he calls in the following excerpt the "irreducible leap that is intuitively taken" is what is commonly referred to as "faith."

Quote:
Whatever its stigma, "intuition" is a term that we simply cannot do without, because it denotes the most basic constituent of our faculty of understanding. While this is true in matters of ethics, it is no less true in science. When we can break our knowledge of a thing down no further, the irreducible leap that remains is intuitively taken. Thus, the traditional opposition between reason and intuition is a false one: reason is itself intuitive to the core, as any judgment that a proposition is "reasonable" or "logical" relies on intuition to find its feet. source: pg. 183 "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris)

The bottom line is that faith is fundamental and anyone who disagrees with this is actually deluding himself.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I really don't see how

I really don't see how saying "I have faith and god is love" is helpful. It's like saying I am conscious, in awe, and care .... Now what ? How does that improve the "world view".

The only message I see helpful is,  "all is one , we and this is god" ..... I am regreatably beginning to think, you  Paisely,  have no real interest in improving the "world view" .......  sorry, but ya got me bumming out mr. P ..... ??? I will think on why ....

Anyway, the "awe" is the source,  da  ..... Sheezzzz ..... "Faith?" ..... Are you god or not? , some one else asked you ...... Well I AM ..... You ???  

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:
I really don't see how saying "I have faith and god is love" is helpful. It's like saying I am conscious, in awe, and care .... Now what ? How does that improve the "world view".

Do you believe you need help?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:I beg to

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:
I beg to differ. I said that God is love. Children understand this intuitively. In fact, it is only after they grow up and become sophisticated and "rational" that they lose touch with this simple trust.

Paisley kept the gullibility and neediness, but shed the imagination and cuteness.

EDIT: To the topic of "god being love." As I've said before, we can nail down what behaviors we describe as "loving," and some of the physiology of the feeling of "love," either romantic or platonic; and it's not hard to figure out where and why "love" is demonstrated from a psychological standpoint. So if we already have this concept, which is really probably more like a broad description of a few varying behaviors and motives, I wonder what the parasitic concept of "god" is meant to add to it. If it doesn't add anything to it, but is rather being presented as a "source of love," then it defies the very context in which anything recognizable as "love" could be referred to. One might as well talk about the flavor of cheddar in gauss units. The situation we have here is actually worse than that, in that it's not even a category mistake, since we're only working with ONE category -- the "god" variable not even having a value to conflict with.

God is not in conflict. The ego is.  

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:Paisley

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
I beg to differ. I said that God is love. Children understand this intuitively. In fact, it is only after they grow up and become sophisticated and "rational" that they lose touch with this simple trust.

Apparently the trick is not to "grow up" and become "sophisticated".  And by putting "rational" in quotes, are you now saying that atheists -- by growing up and throwing off this simple trust -- are rational after all?  Or was that another "tongue-in-cheek" comment? 

Shall the backtracking and ambiguities never cease?

The quotes indicate that the rationality is ostensible.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Paisley

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Paisley kept the gullibility and neediness, but shed the imagination and cuteness.

EDIT: To the topic of "god being love." As I've said before, we can nail down what behaviors we describe as "loving," and some of the physiology of the feeling of "love," either romantic or platonic; and it's not hard to figure out where and why "love" is demonstrated from a psychological standpoint. So if we already have this concept, which is really probably more like a broad description of a few varying behaviors and motives, I wonder what the parasitic concept of "god" is meant to add to it. If it doesn't add anything to it, but is rather being presented as a "source of love," then it defies the very context in which anything recognizable as "love" could be referred to. One might as well talk about the flavor of cheddar in gauss units. The situation we have here is actually worse than that, in that it's not even a category mistake, since we're only working with ONE category -- the "god" variable not even having a value to conflict with.

God is not in conflict. The ego is.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Paisley  a song to

Mr. Paisley

a song to consider  

"But I Could Be Wrong"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-5d5IfdYK4

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
God is good, god is great,

God is good, god is great, and is us, God is bad, god is dumb, and us     

"What If God Was One Of Us?" -- The Lion King

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n1jSvgBaNjM

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Is this the P message ?

Is this the P message ? Turn on the love ! Celebrate ..... make every day a Holiday !

Madonna-Holiday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X7RyGBq2E8

I AM so in LOVE, so in AWE !      HELLOW Hellow ..... 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:magilum

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:

God is not in conflict. The ego is.

Sure, why not toss some psychological terms into the postmodern idea bucket. Nothing has to fit together or make sense; we'll just feel our way through things, and perform spoken word pieces about how "cosmic" and neat-o the "universal consciousness" is. Then we can all pray to "Ja" and give each other flaxseed enemas.

Seriously, you've said absolutely nothing. I can't argue for or against your point, because you haven't made one. What could your statement even mean? What could it even be intended, by a blithering pseudo-panentheist idiot incapable of expressing a coherent point, to mean? All your statement amounts to is that the "ego" is in conflict with "god" which you've failed to distinguish from nothing.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:magilum

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The fact is that quantum theory views matter as being both a wave and a particle.

Is that in reply to something?

Yes. You said previously that something could not be in two different states at the same time.

I still have no idea what you're referring to.

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Okay. So if physics reduces all phenomena to a mathematical abstraction, then what does this imply? Where's the "thing-in-itself?" Or what's the "thing-in-itself?"

You're conflating your reification of "love" with the fundamental question of existence. We can test the former without understanding to the latter. The latter doesn't affect how we approach anything at this point, so pretending to be informed by it is a laughable red herring and another gap into which to couch your hilarious god concept.

No. You're the one who is confusing mathematical abstractions for "reified objects." Mathematical equations simply show the relations between phenomena. They are not really material objects. If there is no "thing-in-itself," then there is no basis for materialism. 

To reiterate, we don't need to know the fundamental nature of the universe to explain emotions. If there's more to it, and we find that out specifically, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but at the moment your argument is hot liquid fail.

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
You've drawn a circle of logic with nothing inside or along it.

You're making my point. This is what happens when you reduce all phenomena to a mathematical abstraction.

The old, "My argument is so weak, there must be something to it," trick, eh?

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
"It's good for an uneducated man to read a book of quotes." -- Winston Churchill

You're confusing sarcasm for intelligent wit.

Spoken like a man with his hand in the quotey jar.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The belief in God is a matter of faith and is not subject to the scientific method. This does not invalidate the belief in God. It simply demonstrates that the limits of the scientific method.

I have asked self-professed atheists on this forum and elsewhere what they would consider as satisfactory evidence for the existence of God. Their answer: there isn't any. This displays the essential difference between the theistic worldview and the atheistic one. The believer sees everything through the prism of faith. The unbeliever cannot transcend is own self-referential point of view. Hence the truism: To those with faith, no evidence is required. To those without it, no evidence will suffice. The bottom-line is that your presuppositional commitments will determine how you interpret the evidence.

I disagree, I told you what I wanted to see and you cannot provide proof. The cop out you take that God and beliefs are immune from the scientific method is unacceptable as an answer. It is up to you to find a way to provide physical evidence that will support your claim, it is not up to me to suggest how. Beliefs can be tested in the real world and not mystically. You provided the hypothesis that God exists, it is required from you to prove your case. You do not even suggest a way to prove your beliefs, only that you can't. You don't take that for an answer for positions taken by others and I won't take it as an answer from you either.

There is scientific evidence that mind is fundamental which presents evidence for pantheism.

Quantum mechanics provides evidence that mind is fundamental (regardless of interpretation).

Also, there are numerous scientific experiments conducted in parapsychology that have demonstrated psi suggesting that mind is fundamental.

However, the most compelling evidence for the existence of God is the phenomenal world. Science cannot account for why there is something rather than nothing. That's the bottom line.

That being said, what conclusive evidence do you have that atheistic materialism is true? Answer: NONE!

Paisley wrote:
I partially agree. You can't prove that my God does not exist. However, I believe that I can prove that he does - at least to myself. Indeed, my very nature inclines me to believe that this is so.

Proving to yourself God exists does nothing to substantiate your position rather it is an admission of weakness.

What makes you feel that I am obligated to prove the existence of God to you?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Really Mag, thanks for

Really Mag, thanks for caring .....

God is a ding a ling , let's play with my god ..... 

"My Ding-A-Ling"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADTJ1W_XKYI

Wow AWE !  I meant G  A W E  D  .....  "AWE LA"  and  "Y AWE WE" ,  too .....  amazing !                 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 No one feels like I do ? 

No one feels like I do ?    

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_1RqyNdzbE

Can we agree this is god ?  Why not ??? Want proof ? Proof of what ?   

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:There is

Paisley wrote:

There is scientific evidence that mind is fundamental which presents evidence for pantheism.

Quantum mechanics provides evidence that mind is fundamental (regardless of interpretation).

Also, there are numerous scientific experiments conducted in parapsychology that have demonstrated psi suggesting that mind is fundamental.

However, the most compelling evidence for the existence of God is the phenomenal world. Science cannot account for why there is something rather than nothing. That's the bottom line.

That being said, what conclusive evidence do you have that atheistic materialism is true? Answer: NONE!

That's nice, but it still doesn't work for me. I just don't do mystical.

Just because science can't account for something today, does not mean that will always be the case. Why jump to conclusions, wait and see. In 40 to 80 years proof of something may come or not. Be patient! If you can't know, why try to interpolate with so few data points? All it gives is misconstrued conclusions and faulty interpretations. You said earlier in this thread theology and your views change with knowledge. What you think you know today will not be the same in 25 years. You may figure out the mistake you are making by then. I have read your arguments and you think you have it all understood, but others have come to the same erroneous position in the past on other positions. You are no different. Remember this discussion when you are an old man.

Paisley wrote:

Paisley wrote:
I partially agree. You can't prove that my God does not exist. However, I believe that I can prove that he does - at least to myself. Indeed, my very nature inclines me to believe that this is so.

Proving to yourself God exists does nothing to substantiate your position rather it is an admission of weakness.

So don't then. I'll go with your answer early in this thread that says you can't supply proof because you have used faith to reach your concept of god. It's not like I'll lose sleep over your beliefs. The Sun will shine tomorrow or it won't.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
You weren't replying to me,

You weren't replying to me, but I don't give a shit.

Paisley wrote:

Paisley wrote:
The belief in God is a matter of faith and is not subject to the scientific method. This does not invalidate the belief in God. It simply demonstrates that the limits of the scientific method.

I have asked self-professed atheists on this forum and elsewhere what they would consider as satisfactory evidence for the existence of God. Their answer: there isn't any. This displays the essential difference between the theistic worldview and the atheistic one. The believer sees everything through the prism of faith. The unbeliever cannot transcend is own self-referential point of view. Hence the truism: To those with faith, no evidence is required. To those without it, no evidence will suffice. The bottom-line is that your presuppositional commitments will determine how you interpret the evidence.

I disagree, I told you what I wanted to see and you cannot provide proof. The cop out you take that God and beliefs are immune from the scientific method is unacceptable as an answer. It is up to you to find a way to provide physical evidence that will support your claim, it is not up to me to suggest how. Beliefs can be tested in the real world and not mystically. You provided the hypothesis that God exists, it is required from you to prove your case. You do not even suggest a way to prove your beliefs, only that you can't. You don't take that for an answer for positions taken by others and I won't take it as an answer from you either.

Produce something.

Paisley wrote:

That is simply an argument from ignorance.

Paisley wrote:

If it isn't, you're committing a stolen concept by continuing to exist and make stupid comments. Your argument couldn't rightly be that there isn't what there is, but rather that there's more. Since you've failed to produce the "more," you're trying to shake the foundations of what is. Shake away -- you're still stuck with an argument from ignorance.

Paisley wrote:

Paisley wrote:

If you state your intent to flounder aimlessly, you can still claim success.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
pauljohn, so elegant

pauljohn, so elegant  .....  damn I love RRS .... Is the internet god !  ???      

elegant 

Pantera "Revolution is my name"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzh8j2qF-WY

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
That's okay. It lines right up. I never asserted that there was no proof that love didn't exist. As my quote says, I asked him to prove that love exists, and is an objective, external force that pervades the universe, and that it is equivalent to the non-existent Theory of Everything. Basically, I gave him the burden of proof all packaged up in a nice little outline, and he discarded it, rather than dealing with it.

To begin with, I simply stated that the scientist and the mystic are searching in their own way for the same thing - namely, a unversal law or principle to explain everything. The scientist calls this law the elusive "theory or everything" while the mystic calls it "love."

Secondly, when you challenged me on this, I quoted Albert Einstein who stated that the mystical is both the source for true science as well as true religion.

While I do believe that God is love, I do not believe it can be proven by the scientific method. This is why I said the only "proof" is faith. Just because you are insisting that I prove it according to your preconceived methodology does not mean that I must oblige.

Sorry, I apologize. I understood from your earlier statement that you were equating the Theory of Everything with Love. I didn't understand they were two distinct things.

As far as the Einstein quote: you do realize Einstein was a deist? What he was calling "mysticism" is not the same as the mysticism to which you refer. Nor is the religion. Einstein much essentially an atheist who looked at the wonder of the cosmos and called it "God," for lack of a better word.

But the reasons I insist you prove it according to my "preconceived" methodology is because you've not presented an alternative epistemology yet. Until you have presented a framework by which to describe your subjective experiences as "knowledge," rather than simply subjective experience. I have only the single epistemology I know to be effective at gaining knowledge: the scientific method.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Y'know, the more I think about this, the more I realize something. You quoted me asking you for proof of this "love is the force that ties the universe together" assertion of yours, and then mischaracterized that to magilum as me denying love existed. Then you come and accuse me of mischaracterization for the assumption that you were equating love to the theory of everything. Our little exchange went something like this:

paisley in post #534 wrote:

I guess the scientist calls it the "unified field theory" or the "theory of everything." The mystic calls it love.

Which seems to state you believe the TOE is the same thing as that which the mystics call "love." To perception-check, I replied with:

nigelTheBold in post #537 wrote:

Oh my fucking non-existent God. You are trying to equate the TOE with love? THAT is your ultimate philosophy?

So, I called you out specifically on this issue earlier. I took your silence as implicit agreement with my statement that you equate "Love" (whatever that means in this context) with the TOE. You have some great big old sweaty balls to accuse me of mischaracterization in a post responding to my calling out your mischaracterization.

But then I realized: you are just avoiding the actual discussion.

Again.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:The quotes

Paisley wrote:

The quotes indicate that the rationality is ostensible.

Says the man that claims a mystical God is somehow more "rational" than atheistic materialism.

I like how you can use a word with all sincerity until it becomes inconvenient to do so. This seems to be a pattern: choose that which supports your bare-assed assertion, and conveniently ignore that which does not. That takes great skill and dedication, and I am in awe of your mastery of it.

Mysticism and gnosticism as an epistemology is an emperor with no clothes. Those who practice it believe themselves to be finely dressed, but are in fact quite naked. The fundamentals of it have been firmly and loudly debunked via empiricism for many decades. Even logically it is an intellectual wasteland. (Yeah, I'm mixing my metaphors. I'll continue to present the finest blend of metaphors money can buy from Wal*Mart.)

Consider. Your assertion is that you have personally experienced God through meditation and other means of looking inward. You bolster this with the statement that others have experienced God in the same way, and so the experience indicates there is a God.

Is this a correct summation?

Assuming it is, let's continue.

I love roller coasters. I live about 30 miles from Cedar Point, America's Rock 'n' Roller Coast. My wife also loves roller coasters. We have a friend who also loves roller coasters. My niece loves them, too.

So, we have an excellent sample that says we love roller coasters. We all get on Raptor, one of the best coasters of all time. It carries us up to the top, and I feel a mild exhilaration. My wife has her eyes shut is screaming, and saying, "Oh, God, oh God, why did I get on?" My niece is quiet, but she also has her eyes shut. My friend and I have our eyes wide open. He is quiet, and I am laughing. The ride completes, we all get off, look at each other and say, "That was great!" When we talk about what makes it great, we can only speak in vague terms -- "It's exhilarating" is about as close as we can come to consensus. "It makes us feel alive."

Another friend of ours refuses to get on. Even the little fair-type rides terrify her. She has an anti-death reaction to them. Her husband is exactly the opposite: the rides bore him. (He's a windsurfer, mountaineer, and skydiver.)

So, what's the truth? Are roller coasters objectively some sort of life force, as they make us feel more alive, or are they the opposite, some sort of death force, as our one friend feels? The majority of our sample loves them, and find they make us feel more alive, so there must be a real life-force in roller coasters. That must be the truth.

There is no significant difference between gnosticism and roller coasters.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:There is

Paisley wrote:

At this point I think you're an outright lying desperate fool.

Quote:

You are the fool who is making the claim that there is this "god" thing. So it is YOUR obligation to prove that claim.

Atheism is not a claim.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Caution: Projection in Progress (tin foil hat on)

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley, I do not believe the pantheistic worldview is compatible with our basic biology.  If I did, then I would be a pantheist1.

What's the incompatibility between pantheism/panentheism and biology?

I asked myself "Why are mitochondria shaped like sausages, rather than crucifixes?2"

Paisley wrote:
zarathustra wrote:

trinitarian theology is mathematically inconsistent. 

I believe God is love and that love is a triadic relationship...

Sounds kinky.

Paisley wrote:
...in which the lover and the beloved are united as one in love. The term "trinity" literally means "three in unity."

I believe god is non-existence.  The purpose of god is to not exist3.

By integer division, 1/3 = 0.  You have proven mathematically that your god doesn't exist.  Well done.

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

If our existence is absurd because we are nothing more than matter, than god is even more absurd, because god isn't even material. 

Materialism itself is actually the view that permanent elementary particles constitute ultimate reality and that all perceived change is simply a re-arrangement of these elementary particles based on purely deterministic laws. However, such a view is no longer tenable in light of the theory of relativity and quantum theory. The bottom-line is that there are no permanent elementary particles. So, what you call the physical is actually quite ephemeral and illusory.

But god isn't even physical, so god is even more ephemeral and illusory. 

By definition, god cannot exist.

Your pantheism has now been fixed.  You're welcome.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Materialism

Paisley wrote:

I thought I already gave you an F for this position. Quantum indeterminacy is about measurement. Measurement! Matter is still matter. The particle-waves are still there, in space-time. If you're hung up on the "purely deterministic laws" part, then you're really missing the concepts.

Antimatter has been created, too. Does that also debunk materialism? Your conclusions aren't even related to your arguments.

You can stop saying "atheist materialism", too. Anyone who's strictly speaking a materialist would have very little reason to add the extra undefinable "god" variable to the picture just to give themselves more work. Where would I put "triune love/light/relationship" in an equation, anyway?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I AM GOD AS

Paisley wrote:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Yes, as the world is plagued by unnecessary suffering. The "we and god are ONE" is the only message I can think of that is healing. The god message you present suggests a separate entity from ourselves.

I say "worship" us and this, you say worship god (?) ..... there is a big difference ..... Your god is a modern unhelpful God of Abe .... which IMO, both Jesus and Buddha rejected. The Pauline Jesus is not the Jesus philosophy I agree with .....  but it seems you do .... your ideas sound like Paul's ...... and has Xainity really been helpful or more of a curse to the "world view" ??? ..... I think the Buddha (and my Jesus) message of "ONE" is much wiser ......    

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

Yes, as the world is plagued by unnecessary suffering. The "we and god are ONE" is the only message I can think of that is healing. The god message you present suggests a separate entity from ourselves.

I say "worship" us and this, you say worship god (?) ..... there is a big difference ..... Your god is a modern unhelpful God of Abe .... which IMO, both Jesus and Buddha rejected. The Pauline Jesus is not the Jesus philosophy I agree with .....  but it seems you do .... your ideas sound like Paul's ...... and has Xainity really been helpful or more of a curse to the "world view" ??? ..... I think the Buddha (and my Jesus) message of "ONE" is much wiser ......    

Please Paisley,  try and argue with IAGAY.   Then you will discover someone whose debating style is similar to you own. 

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Please

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Please Paisley,  try and argue with IAGAY.   Then you will discover someone whose debating style is similar to you own. 

And yet someone who, at his most confusing, is still so obviously trying to be clear and helpful, and not evasive.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I'm a believer

Paisley wrote:

I'm a believer in God. Can you please help fix it?

Only if you believe you're broken. I don't see your problem. You have a huge number of Gods but don't take any of them seriously.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

shikko
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:magilum

HisWillness wrote:

magilum wrote:

Can god be nachos? I like nachos.

I was going to say cheese doodles, but nachos are fine with God. At least, that's what he says. He doesn't mind being defined as nachos as long as there's lots of cheese.

Yea, verily, for cheese doodles are beloved by The Tick.

Nachos may only be holy in the presence of beer.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:Nachos may only

shikko wrote:

Forsooth. But the various types of beer and the degree to which the cheese should match the beer selection is a matter of much theological debate. Not to mention the hotness of the sauce, which has started many a holy war.

shikko
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:shikko

HisWillness wrote:

shikko wrote:

Forsooth. But the various types of beer and the degree to which the cheese should match the beer selection is a matter of much theological debate. Not to mention the hotness of the sauce, which has started many a holy war.

So I'm walking across the bridge when I see a may getting ready to jump off.  I call to him, "hey! why are you trying to kill yourself?"

"Life sucks, and I want to die," says the man.

"What, you don't like anything about it?" I say, trying to forestall the plummet.

"My wife is divorcing me, I just lost my job, my kids are stupid and I just got diagnosed with liver cancer," he says, with a top-that expression on his face.

"Wow, that does sound bad, but at least there's always nachos."

"Hey, that's true!" he says, his face lightening a bit.

I say, "So do you use the oven or microwave?"

He says, "The oven."

I say, "Me too! Cheddar or monterey jack?"

He says, "Cheddar."

I say, "Me too!   Hot or mild salsa?"

He says, "Hot."

I say, "Me too! Do you add onions or jalapenos?"

He says, "Jalapenos."

I say "DIE INFIDEL SCUM!" and push him off the bridge.

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:[...]He says,

shikko wrote:

[...]

He says, "Jalapenos."

Fucking genius.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Yes,

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Yes, God is love.  Unfortunately the Bible indicates that God's love is frequently expressed through:

1.) Banishment

2.) Curses

3.) Plagues

4.) Genocide

5.) Hell

...etc, etc

Wow, who wouldn't worship a god like that ?

This is a straw-man argument. I'm not defending the biblical God (especially the Old Testament deity).  

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:ProzacDeathWish

BMcD wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

And yet someone who, at his most confusing, is still so obviously trying to be clear and helpful, and not evasive.

For clarification,  I am a cheerful supporter of IAGAY.  Despite his wildly flucuating lucidity he only expresses good will.   It is his trademark ( so to speak ) to assume a perspective that is mostly beyond the comprehension of the majority of this forum.  Understanding is difficult to achieve, nevertheless I would much prefer the company of Mr. IAGAY as opposed to spending time with the smug ass hole who began this thread.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Yes, God is love.  Unfortunately the Bible indicates that God's love is frequently expressed through:

1.) Banishment

2.) Curses

3.) Plagues

4.) Genocide

5.) Hell

...etc, etc

Wow, who wouldn't worship a god like that ?

This is a straw-man argument. I'm not defending the biblical God (especially the Old Testament deity).  

Another artful dodge.  How typical of you Paisley.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Thanks guys. My message is

Thanks guys. My message is ultra simple. All I am trying to do is turn religion on it's ear,  where it belongs, by using religions own semantics,  to allow and promote the AWE, so many wish to call god.

That word G O D  ain't going away so I AM simply working with it ..... BUT, seems my simple plan is not so easy ,  but I have learned alot here at RRS trying.

I am most interested with those that don't understand me and I take no offense in anyone saying so ..... and I admit I do alot of reverse exaggerated knee jerk replying.

I am most always giggling, sipping beer as I write, especially in the evenings. I don't know much , but all is ONE , is my main message , to write a million ways

..... and so I will say Jesus was an atheist to you all, theists and atheists alike, because you can have any Jesus/Buddha you wish.  I chose Atheist, no master, no god before me and you. I say that is the simple intuitive ancient  "Saving" message, of zero superstition. 

We are on our own, so go go science , and kill religion NOW ! Keep the AWE .... Sue the Pope ..... and heal the theists .....  be clever ..... and G-AWE-D bless our world !    L O L to all ..... so fuck you religious loons in the spirit of my J/B atheist buddies.

and don't bogart that joint my friends , I meant that caring love .....

The Fraternity Of Man-Don't Bogart Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6yMj0JGLWs

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Paisley

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:

The question was: Do you really believe that love is ultimate reality?

No. I think there is a set of human behaviours we call love. "Ultimate reality" (or just "reality" for people who don't need the extra horns-a-blowing) certainly has love in it.

Paisley wrote:
If yes, then you have a lurking God-belief. If no, then you should now understand the theological significance of the statement "God is love."

If yes, then I'm certifiable. But why would I understand the theological significance of the statement "God is love" by denying something nonsensical? I think I finally understand the significance of "God is nachos", though. It's a revelation.

What's nonsensical? Love?

C'mon. This is basic!

Quote:

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done

Nothing you can sing that can't be sung

Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game

It's easy

All you need is love"

(source: "All You Need Is Love" Lennon/McCartney) 

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:

paisley wrote:

Loc wrote:
So are you a deist?

No, I am a pantheist/panentheist.

I understand both pantheist (the universe is God) and panentheism (God is the universe, plus something outside the universe).

How do you combine the two? What is your synthesis? (Seriously, I'm curious.)

I associate pantheism ('God-is-all-ism') with idealism and panentheism ('God-is-all-in-all-ism') with panpsychism.

In pantheism, only God exists and what is not God is but an illusion ("maya" in Sanskrit). Basically, there's only one mind or consciousness and the phenomenal world is merely a projection of consciousness much as a dream is the projection of a mind sleeping.

In panentheism, everyone exists in God but God is greater than everyone. Basically, there's an infinite number of minds but only one all-inclusive mind (God). 

Technically speaking, panentheism is a hybrid of classical pantheism (God is immanent and the "creation" is simply an emanation of consciousness) with classical theism (God is trancendent as well as immanent but the creation is ontologically distinct from the Creator).

I probably would identify myself as a "trinitarian panentheist."

The Course says it better...

Quote:

"Mind reaches to itself. It does not go out. Within itself it has no limits, and there is nothing outside it."

"Every mind contains all minds, for every mind is one. Such is the truth." 

(source: ACIM)