I'm a believer in God. Can you please help me fix it? [Trollville]

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:Paisley

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The fact is that the mind/body issue is still hotly debated in academia.

Which still leaves you conclusion an argument from ignorance.

What ignorance? My first-person experience provides me with evidence that my thoughts are not physical objects.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:Nonrational

shikko wrote:
Nonrational beliefs can be used as premises in an argument, but if their assumptions of correctness cause problems, that is evidence that the assumptions are incorrect.  So given that you are starting with a non- and irrational assumption that "a god exists", where do you go from there?

Which came first...logical analysis or intuition?

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:In this long

BMcD wrote:
In this long process, the ultimate purpose of life, which is a series of self-perpetuating chemical reactions, is to assist in the chemical breakdown of matter and energy into simpler matter and waste energy in the form of heat, and will continue to be relevant and applicable long after life itself is no longer possible, as it will continue to be part of the overall process whereby the entropy of the closed system has continually trended toward its maximum.

This means that Life's "Ultimate Purpose" is to perpetuate Life, and so to continue the chemical processes which thus consume more raw material and produce more waste heat than would otherwise have been consumed/produced.

Self-perpetuating chemical reactions do not have purpose. To argue that they do is to make a teleological argument for the existence for God.

Quote:
So the Ultimate Purpose of Life... is Life. And Nihilism. Because Life is ultimately a Nihilistic pursuit. Smiling

Nihilism is an inherently self-refuting belief. If the nihilist supposedly believes in nothing, then it logically follows that he does not believe in nihilism itself.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

Self-perpetuating chemical reactions do not have purpose. To argue that they do is to make a teleological argument for the existence for God.

Not at all. They have, as you put it, the intrinsic purpose of perpetuating themselves. The development of the Universe is a purpose inherent to the universe itself, and life is part of that development process, and so part of that inherent purpose.

To claim that a purpose that arises from the inherent nature of existence makes an argument for the existence of God reduces your own argument to 'something exists, therefore God must'.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:That you

magilum wrote:
That you believe isn't my concern, but I have to laugh at another example of theistic nihilism. It's generally a Christian affliction, and though you're a panentheist, or something, I suspect your deity is just Yahweh-lite. If the sole proposition that atheism represents removes meaning from life, one has to marvel at the absurdity of the alternative: a creature that will outlive us and curate our memories for a practical eternity. Just articulating it refutes it for me.

Why is having objective immortality in the mind of God ridiculous?

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Why is having

Paisley wrote:

Well, 'immortality' strongly implies continued existence with unending movement through time. Time, being a property/dimension of the physical universe, can only apply to things subject to physical laws, including the laws of thermodynamics, which indicate that eventually, everything breaks down. And if everything breaks down, then immortality... isn't.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - The Waco Kid

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:I have it that

Eloise wrote:
I have it that supervenience physicalism is not compatible with dualism, the concept applied is like the analogy which I posted before, when you mix colours the result looks like a new colour, one could mistake it for a new thing altogether having not seen it anywhere else but it would only be another colour, even if you were unable to distinguish it as such. This is how supervenience answers the mind/body problem, by saying mind is simply body in a state not immediately recognisable as body due to the way the physical events have interacted.

I've read in the Wikipedia article that supervenience alone is not enough to establish physicalism.

Quote:
However, supervenience alone is not sufficient to establish the basis of physicalism. It is possible that mental or other non-physical states supervene upon the physical. As this allows for the possibility that the mind is causally inefficacious and only contingently related to the physical, supervenience physicalism is compatible with epiphenomenalism. (source: Wikipedia "Phsycalism")

Also, Kim seems to have successfully argued that one cannot be a non-reductionist and also a physicalist.

Quote:

M1 - - - ? - - -> M2

$                       $

P1 --------------> P2

Figure 1

In response to Davidson's anomalous monism, Kim proposed that one cannot be a physicalist and a non-reductivist. He proposes (using the chart on the right) that M1 causes M2 (these are mental events) and P1 causes P2 (these are physical events). P1 realises M1 and P2 realises M2. However M1 does not causally effect P1 (i.e. M1 is a consequent event of P1). If P1 causes P2, and M1 is a result of P1, then M2 is a result of P2. He says that the only alternatives to this problem is to accept dualism (where the mental events are independent of the physical events) or eliminativism (where the mental events do not exist). (source: Wikipedia "Physicalism")

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Time for another simple and direct question

Paisley:

Aside from the other weaknesses your argument suffers from, this seems to be the central thrust of it:

"With atheism, life is meaningless and without purpose.  Therefore god exists."

If I have this is partially or entirely in error, please advise.

If I do fairly accurately have your argument down:

Respect first that this is a non sequitur; without demonstrating the falsehood of the statement "life is meaningless", you cannot logically proceed to your conclusion.

As you prepare to debate that point, would you please answer this direct question:

What is the purpose of god's existence?

For a fuller understanding of this question:  You make the naked assertion that our lives must have a purpose, which you take by non sequitur to imply god's existence.

Should we for the moment permit these logical breaches, we can extrapolate that correspondingly, the purpose of god's existence must be bestowed by an even higher consciousness.  Should you contend that god requires no higher consciousness for purposefulness, I fail to see why I require one either.

This is the first (1st) time I am posing this question to you.  The number of iterations until a well-premised response is provided will be clearly noted.  Thank you.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
shikko wrote:Paisley

shikko wrote:
Paisley wrote:
1) Harris never identified himself once as an "atheist" in the book.

Which in no way invalidates his argument.  You could loudly proclaim a heliocentric model of the solar system and I would loudly support you for doing so, regardless of the invalidity of your positions on the supernatural.

This is irrelevant. What is at issue here is whether he's truly an atheist. Prior to writing the "End of Faith," Harris did not identify himself as an atheist.

Quote:
Sam indicates that he himself didn't use the word atheist of his own opinions until after his book. source: "2007 Aspen Ideas Festival"

I would suspect that he only chose to identify himself as an atheist later because he had vested-interest to do so (the book was well-received in the atheistic community and money was to be had with speaking engagements and so forth). It was clear to me while reading the book that he was actually promoting some form of "empirical mysticism."

shikko wrote:
Paisley wrote:
2) Harris gave a false definition of "faith" and then proceeded to dismantle it. In other words, he made a strawman argument.

Please explain how his definition of faith is "false".  Is it false because you disagree with it, or don't like it?  Or is it false because there is another, better word that he should have used instead of faith?  Or something else?

His definition struck me as dead on, so unless you can make a good argument that he was using a poor definition you are simply trying to invalidate his reasoning by incorrectly attacking his premises in an effort to not have to deal with otherwise correct reasoning.

Faith is simply the letting go of fear which is the perfection of love.

shikko wrote:
He spent a lot of time talking about Islam; so what?  I also remember a few strong words for Catholicism and Judaism.  What does this the focus of his argument have to do with its validity?

It has to deal with a sense of fair-play.

shikko wrote:
Paisley wrote:
4) Harris redefines "religion" and "spirituality" to be mutually exclusive terms.

I will admit I should read The End of Faith again, but I doubt the accuracy of your point.  Please explain why you think this is a mistake.  I can see a religion having spiritual practices, but a spiritual practice does not necessarily entail a religious use.

Spiritual implies "spirit." This is a religious concept.

shikko wrote:
Paisley wrote:
5) Harris is essentially a Buddhist who promotes mysticism and wants to incorporate the scientific method to verify it.

Regarding Harris being buddhist, you are essentially incorrect. Please see his own writings on the matter:

The Problem with Atheism

Killing the Buddha (yes, he infers he is a "student of the buddha", but that is insufficient to call him a buddhist)

I'm quite familiar with Buddhism (my own religious beliefs have a strong affinity with it). The truth is that Sam Harris has much more in common with my worldview than yours.

1) Harris extensively studied Buddhism and meditation.

2) Harris praises "shamanism, gnosticism, kabbalah, and hermeticism."

3) Harris defines "atheism" as simply the destruction of bad ideas.

4) Harris promotes Buddhist and Hindu spiritual practices (Dzogchen Buddhist and Advaita Vedantic Hindu spirituality).

5) Harris believes in the paranormal, reincarnation and "xenoglossy."

(source: Wikipedia "Sam Harris"

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I never read any of that

I never read any of that from Sam Harris. The link you put up is balnk, and anyway wikipedia isn't a reliable source. Cite Wikipedia in a school paper, you will probably receive an "F."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Not at all. They

BMcD wrote:
Not at all. They have, as you put it, the intrinsic purpose of perpetuating themselves. The development of the Universe is a purpose inherent to the universe itself, and life is part of that development process, and so part of that inherent purpose.

To claim that a purpose that arises from the inherent nature of existence makes an argument for the existence of God reduces your own argument to 'something exists, therefore God must'.

To claim that a purpose arises from the inherent nature of existence is pantheism, pure and simple. Evolution is not guided by intelligence (purpose driven), at least not according to Darwinism.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:shikko

10 Myths-and Truths-About Atheism by Sam Harris, December 24, 2006:

http://samharris.org/site/full-text/10-myths-and-10-truths-about-atheism1/

See particularly truth number 1

EDIT:  click "articles" at top of page, then scroll down.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:To claim that

Paisley wrote:

To claim that a purpose arises from the inherent nature of existence is pantheism, pure and simple. Evolution is not guided by intelligence (purpose driven), at least not according to Darwinism.

Not true. I subscribe no intent, no awareness, and no value to that 'purpose'. Your claim might as well be 'to claim that gravity makes things fall is pantheism'. The 'purpose' in this case is not a directed aim, but rather the inevitable result of the nature of existence. This does not empower the natural processes and forces with any state of divinity, and as this universe may well have arisen as part of natural processes in another, that would explicitly deny any attribution of divinity. If anything, it makes the point that there really isn't room in a physical universe for God.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Eloise wrote:I

Paisley wrote:

Eloise wrote:
I have it that supervenience physicalism is not compatible with dualism, the concept applied is like the analogy which I posted before, when you mix colours the result looks like a new colour, one could mistake it for a new thing altogether having not seen it anywhere else but it would only be another colour, even if you were unable to distinguish it as such. This is how supervenience answers the mind/body problem, by saying mind is simply body in a state not immediately recognisable as body due to the way the physical events have interacted.

I've read in the Wikipedia article that supervenience alone is not enough to establish physicalism.

Yeah by supervenience physicalism I meant the original supervinience + token which I originally described. It is considered that in cooperation they establish physicalism. Just to remind I don't subscribe to token+supervenience material monism at all because of its dependence on time, space and objects, which are all found, probably, to be ultimately illusions.

paisley wrote:

Quote:
However, supervenience alone is not sufficient to establish the basis of physicalism. It is possible that mental or other non-physical states supervene upon the physical. As this allows for the possibility that the mind is causally inefficacious and only contingently related to the physical, supervenience physicalism is compatible with epiphenomenalism. (source: Wikipedia "Phsycalism")

Also, Kim seems to have successfully argued that one cannot be a non-reductionist and also a physicalist.

Quote:

M1 - - - ? - - -> M2

$                       $

P1 --------------> P2

Figure 1

In response to Davidson's anomalous monism, Kim proposed that one cannot be a physicalist and a non-reductivist. He proposes (using the chart on the right) that M1 causes M2 (these are mental events) and P1 causes P2 (these are physical events). P1 realises M1 and P2 realises M2. However M1 does not causally effect P1 (i.e. M1 is a consequent event of P1). If P1 causes P2, and M1 is a result of P1, then M2 is a result of P2. He says that the only alternatives to this problem is to accept dualism (where the mental events are independent of the physical events) or eliminativism (where the mental events do not exist). (source: Wikipedia "Physicalism")

Okay, so that basically translates to, what mediates physical thought inasmuch as it is a consecutive process? I've come to this point in another thread where I was debating ShaunPhilly on the Mind/Body problem, though we established it differently through a theory of computation basically it came out the same in saying that P1 establishes a matrix within which M1 is a result, so then half of the information of M1 is stored in P1 and cannot be known without the information stored in P1. In the context of the debate I was having this established that everything anyone said was necessarily nonsense, not because it couldn't be passed verbally from one person to another without lossiness, but because it couldn't even be passed from my mind to my mouth without lossiness. 

In any case, I hadn't ever thought physicalism was as firmly established as some would hope. The empirical argument is thoroughly compelling, we do see primordial physical components developing complexity over a dimension of time, that's exactly what we see therefore there must be some truth in it. However, given multiple other observations I'm quite comfortable in my opinion that fundamental material monism is just not that truth.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:Yeah by

Eloise wrote:
Yeah by supervenience physicalism I meant the original supervinience + token which I originally described. It is considered that in cooperation they establish physicalism. Just to remind I don't subscribe to token+supervenience material monism at all because of its dependence on time, space and objects, which are all found, probably, to be ultimately illusions.

I know. Previously you said you subscribe to neutral monism and transcendental idealism.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:See

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Unfortunately, Harris has already gone on record in his first published book "The End of Faith" by stating that life may well have a purpose.

Quote:
"There is clearly a sacred dimension to our existence, and coming to terms with it could well be the highest purpose of human life." pg. 16 "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:That science

Paisley wrote:

That science is practical is not proof that the materialistic worldview is true.

Hold on. I have to go out and get absolutely hammered drunk to answer this question.

Okay, I'm back. And hammered.

Science is practical for the purpose of discovering the truth. That's its practicality. It's practical because truth comes out of the process way better than any other process. It's like a big truth machine. Science fits so well with materialsm because ... what the fuck else are we going to measure?

Seriously, where are your arguments even coming from anymore? Would you like science to measure the immesurable? Would you like us all to concede that there are magic aura things, or that leprechans revealed the truth to you? Why would any reasonable person consider your judgement of "irrational" damaging at all? A reasonable person would measure evidence. Measuring the merits of a metaphysical argument and reaching a conclusion that informs your actions in the physical world just isn't convincing. It smacks less of "rational" than of "rationalization."

Even hammered, I don't get it. Oh well, I tried.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Buddha fan Sam and the

Buddha fan Sam and the "sacred" word. IMO

Of course we are sacred, that is just a word for our life consciousness of  WOW and AWE , but that is not a "judgment" of purpose or plan .....  

I love life , I hate life , as we judge god ..... and evolve, as god , as we are ONE .....

, man this stuff of human communication is primitive .....    <-- see G O D ! ((( totally dogma free ..... be atheist as the god you are friend .... hey, ever heard the message of jesus ???? No no, not dumb ass Paul ......          

Try again, you'll get it .... stop inventing a master ..... You are the master, the center, and the ALL of the entire infinite cosmos ..... that's you baby ! You are the ONE, there is nothing more, nothing less ..... nothing is separate .....     

Zero Judgment ..... Decisions are a different thing ..... ummm damn it,   words are failing me , fucking words .....     

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Will , do the world

Will , do the world a favor and be a stand up comic, Carlin is almost dead, hey you could be rich, with so many other favors ....  I AM tempting you  .....  no it's not the devil , It's me G O D  calling you, .... go and spread the "good word" wide and far ......

THANKS   for the medicine of laughter and joy ..... WE - O - U   ( hey wait, you already are all you need be ! ..... )

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:magilum

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The fact is that the mind/body issue is still hotly debated in academia.

Which still leaves you conclusion an argument from ignorance.

What ignorance? My first-person experience provides me with evidence that my thoughts are not physical objects.

1. Your first hand experience? I have no idea what story you're referring to, since I've only been reading our exchanges, but an isolated subjective experience doesn't hold much weight toward the kind of conclusion you're vainly groping at.

2. Who made the case that a thought was "a physical object?" Sounds strawman-ish.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Unfortunately, Harris has already gone on record in his first published book "The End of Faith" by stating that life may well have a purpose.

Sam Harris, speaking in regards to misconceptions that theists apply to atheism stated:

"On the contrary, religious people often worry that life is meaningless and imagine that it can only be redeemed by the promise of eternal happiness beyond the grave. Atheists tend to be quite sure that life is precious.  Life is imbued with meaning by being really and fully lived. Our relationships with those we love are meaningful now, they need not last forever to be made so.  Atheists tend to find this fear of meaninglessness...well...meaningless."

Yes, Harris does states that life has meaning.  But the above quotation was clearly made in reference to atheists....and if you recall, atheists by definition reject all forms of religious / spiritual / metaphysical / belief systems.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley

Paisley wrote:

Quote:
"There is clearly a sacred dimension to our existence, and coming to terms with it could well be the highest purpose of human life." pg. 16 "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris

...and in the very next sentence Harris stated:

"But we will find that it requires no faith in untestable propositions----Jesus was born of a virgin; the Koran is the word of God----for us to do this"

This statement unequivocally slams the door on any metaphysical / spiritual approaches to a "higher purpose".

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Paisley

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:
That science is practical is not proof that the materialistic worldview is true.

Hold on. I have to go out and get absolutely hammered drunk to answer this question.

Okay, I'm back. And hammered.

Science is practical for the purpose of discovering the truth. That's its practicality. It's practical because truth comes out of the process way better than any other process. It's like a big truth machine. Science fits so well with materialsm because ... what the fuck else are we going to measure?

Materialism is a metaphysical belief, not a scientific fact. The bottomline is that the worldview of atheistic materialism is ultimately based on faith.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:Paisley wrote:Why

BMcD wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Well, 'immortality' strongly implies continued existence with unending movement through time. Time, being a property/dimension of the physical universe, can only apply to things subject to physical laws, including the laws of thermodynamics, which indicate that eventually, everything breaks down. And if everything breaks down, then immortality... isn't.

Objective immortality is that which exists in the divine memory; it's not extended in time or space.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Objective

Paisley wrote:

Objective immortality is that which exists in the divine memory; it's not extended in time or space.

Will's comment seems appropriate as you continue to discuss that which you can't know or substantiate.

HisWillness wrote:

Seriously, where are your arguments even coming from anymore? Would you like science to measure the immesurable? Would you like us all to concede that there are magic aura things, or that leprechans revealed the truth to you? Why would any reasonable person consider your judgement of "irrational" damaging at all? A reasonable person would measure evidence. Measuring the merits of a metaphysical argument and reaching a conclusion that informs your actions in the physical world just isn't convincing. It smacks less of "rational" than of "rationalization."

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Objective

Paisley wrote:

Nonsense. Immortality itself requires time, as does memory.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote: Objective

Paisley wrote:

......really ?  Tell me more !

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Materialism

Paisley wrote:

Materialism is a metaphysical belief, not a scientific fact. The bottomline is that the worldview of atheistic materialism is ultimately based on faith.

You'll keep coming back to this conclusion no matter what, won't you?

Materialism as a school of thought is supported by scientific fact, but it's just a school of thought. Like you say, a philosophy. Scientific fact, however, is a high-degree-of-probability truth. That's worth much more than faith.

Where am I placing my faith if my belief is in atheistic materialism? Where is the faith? If I want to participate in the scientific method, I can conduct any simple scientific experiment. If I doubt the truth any part of the body of scientific fact, I can call it into question all by myself. The scientific method thrives on doubt, not faith.

Atheistic materialism is ultimately based on DOUBT.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley:

Aside from the other weaknesses your argument suffers from, this seems to be the central thrust of it:

You have it wrong. What I said is that in the worldview of atheistic materialism, life has no ultimate purpose. If life is ultimately without purpose, then it logically follows that it is ultimately without meaning and value. Such a worldview is an absurd one.

zarathustra wrote:
As you prepare to debate that point

There's nothing to debate. I'm simply expressing the logical conclusion of the atheistic worldview. The problem is that you want your personal life to have eternal meaning and value when your worldview doesn't permit it.

zarathustra wrote:
What is the purpose of god's existence?

God is love. The purpose of God is to love.

zarathustra wrote:
For a fuller understanding of this question:  You make the naked assertion that our lives must have a purpose, which you take by non sequitur to imply god's existence.

No, I didn't say that. But what I will say is that in a Godless world our lives would ultimately be meaningless and absurd. Thus far, you have failed to present any rational argument that would lead me to believe otherwise. 

zarathustra wrote:
Should we for the moment permit these logical breaches, we can extrapolate that correspondingly, the purpose of god's existence must be bestowed by an even higher consciousness.  Should you contend that god requires no higher consciousness for purposefulness, I fail to see why I require one either.

God's existence is eternal. Yours is not (at least not in the atheist universe). That's the difference.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Paisley

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Yes, I will. The fact is that everyone operates based on beliefs. Without them, we would not be able to function.

HisWillness wrote:
Materialism as a school of thought is supported by scientific fact, but it's just a school of thought. Like you say, a philosophy.

It's a metaphysical position. If you don't want to engage in metaphysics, then you shouldn't take a metaphysical position.

HisWillness wrote:
Scientific fact, however, is a high-degree-of-probability truth. That's worth much more than faith.

No, that's simply "faith" in the scientific method.

HisWillness wrote:
Where am I placing my faith if my belief is in atheistic materialism? Where is the faith? If I want to participate in the scientific method, I can conduct any simple scientific experiment. If I doubt the truth any part of the body of scientific fact, I can call it into question all by myself. The scientific method thrives on doubt, not faith.

Once again, you exercise trust or "faith" in the method. So, it actually thrives on faith.

HisWillness wrote:
Atheistic materialism is ultimately based on DOUBT.

Okay. Have it your way. To be without faith is to be without hope. Therefore, the atheist lives in a hopeless state because he lives without faith.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:zarathustra

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley:

You have it wrong. What I said is that in the worldview of atheistic materialism, life has no ultimate purpose. If life is ultimately without purpose, then it logically follows that it is ultimately without meaning and value. Such a worldview is an absurd one.

So my current comprehension of your argument is:

"With atheistic materialism, life is meaningless and [ultimately] without purpose.  Such a worldview is an absurd one.  Therefore god exists."

Paisley wrote:
There's nothing to debate. I'm simply expressing the logical conclusion of the atheistic worldview. The problem is that you want your personal life to have eternal meaning and value when your worldview doesn't permit it.

I have never professed nor implied that I want my personal life to have eternal meaning or value.  Be so kind as not to make such baseless presumptions on my behalf. 

Paisley wrote:

With all the respect you are due, it has become quite revealing how when asked direct questions which entreat you to elucidate your thinking in full, you are given to responding with curt and vague one-liners, which are decidedly unrevealig.  Nonetheless, we shall make our best attempt with this.  Please address these points with as much clarity as your integrity allows:

1. How you deduced that this is god's purpose
  2. From who or what, this purpose is derived.
  3. If it suffices for you to say "The purpose of god is to love", does it not suffice for me to say, "My purpose is to respirate"  -- in answer to your charge that the with atheistic worldview weulimately have no purpose?

Paisley wrote:

No, I didn't say that. But what I will say is that in a Godless world our lives would ultimately be meaningless and absurd. Thus far, you have failed to present any rational argument that would lead me to believe otherwise.

I have not failed to present any rational argument that would lead you to believe otherwise, as I have not presented any argument (rational or otherwise), in any attempt to lead you to believe otherwise.  Be so kind as not to berate me for failed attempts which I did not in fact make.

As of yet, I have not articulated to you my stance on whether life is meaningless or not. 

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
... Should you contend that god requires no higher consciousness for purposefulness, I fail to see why I require one either.

God's existence is eternal. Yours is not (at least not in the atheist universe). That's the difference.

Is that to say, what is eternal requires no purpose prescribed by a consciousness higher than its own, whereas that which is non-eternal does?

EDIT:  Please also give attention to this previous post, where you unintentionally acknowledged the materialistic origin of consciousness.

πππ†
π†††

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I never

MattShizzle wrote:
I never read any of that from Sam Harris. The link you put up is balnk, and anyway wikipedia isn't a reliable source. Cite Wikipedia in a school paper, you will probably receive an "F."

Everything in the article is cited. So if you think it is unreliable, then I suggest you point out which statements are false and why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Harris_%28author%29

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The "purpose" of god is

You said the "purpose" of god is love ?  With that reasoning, I say the "reality" of god is then, both hate and love, get my clue ? ..... ying/yang is ONE.

There is no Master Judgment Thingy Spirit or whatever, .... there is no purpose, no plan .....Life and consciousness happen because it can. Ask how .... why invent purpose and push it on everyone ? .....

You are inventing modern dogma of purpose, and lost in words of useless definitions, WHY ?  ..... I am so sad for the likes of you ..... you are but another divider ..... you are fearful, questioning, judging, move on ..... you are God.

Read my recent posts of "love" to you friend Mr. P ...... I care too  .... you are the enemy to love, to understand, to heal ..... and oh yes, ears that cannot hear, and Jesus wept ...... and was murdered too boot .....    Get behind me satan, J scolded Peter ..... anyway P thanks for you passion, re direct it, after careful thought. 

'Half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it so that the other half may reach you.' ~ K. Gibran. 

Likewise and thanks ..... Again friend , > We Are God <  We are on our own .....

All the crap about Dualism, Spirit/Material is nuts, all is ONE , as energy/matter.  It's only worth is as a measurement  tool ,  IMO .... I hate a lot of philosophy like I hate dogma .....       I even hate me ! .... but then I giggle ..... 

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:HisWillness

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Yes, I will. The fact is that everyone operates based on beliefs. Without them, we would not be able to function.

I don't. I operate on perception. I can only interact with the universe I perceive. I have little choice but to accept that if I wish to do anything, I must do it within the framework of the universe I can interact with. This does not mean I believe that my perceptions are true, only that I cannot interact with anything beyond them. In fact, I don't know if what I perceive is true. I could be completely wrong. I could be delusional. I could be the victim of a grand deception. I simply don't know, and so I can form no actual beliefs.

Quote:
HisWillness wrote:
Scientific fact, however, is a high-degree-of-probability truth. That's worth much more than faith.

Actually, since the scientific method requires us to question all conclusions, including those regarding the effectiveness of the scientific method, that would seem to undermine the kind of 'faith' people hold in religion.

Quote:
Okay. Have it your way. To be without faith is to be without hope. Therefore, the atheist lives in a hopeless state because he lives without faith.

Again, this makes no sense. I have no faith. I have hope. For example: I hope my perceptions of reality are at least somewhat in alignment with reality. I don't know that they are, but I really would like it if they turned out to be right, and I dearly hope that they are. But I don't have faith that they are. I simply don't know.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:So my

zarathustra wrote:
So my current comprehension of your argument is:

"With atheistic materialism, life is meaningless and [ultimately] without purpose.  Such a worldview is an absurd one.  Therefore god exists."

Why do you keep inserting "therefore God exists" when I am simply stating the logical conclusion of the atheistic worldview?

zarathustra wrote:
I have never professed nor implied that I want my personal life to have eternal meaning or value.  Be so kind as not to make such baseless presumptions on my behalf.

The assumptions are based on the fact that you keep mischaracterizing my statements.   

zarathustra wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Please clearly relate:

1. How you deduced that this is god's purpose
  2. From who or what, this purpose is derived.

1) Because I have faith and faith seeks understanding. Theology itself is often defined as "faith seeking undertanding."

2) It is the instrinsic nature of God to love.

zarathustra wrote:
As of yet, I have not articulated to you my stance on whether life is meaningless or not.

Please articulate your position.  

zarathustra wrote:
Is that to say, what is eternal requires no purpose prescribed by a consciousness higher than its own, whereas that which is non-eternal does?

The purpose is intrinsic...both for God and human beings.

zarathustra wrote:
Please also give attention

to this previous post, where you unintentionally acknowledged the materialistic origin of consciousness.

You will have to be more specific.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Geezzz, I fucking love

Geezzz, I fucking love you so much right now,  BMcd         

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
/ GAWED IS

/ GAWED IS ATHEIST \

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
squirmage

Paisley wrote:

Why do you keep inserting "therefore God exists" when I am simply stating the logical conclusion of the atheistic worldview?

Because by my observation, your "stating the logical conclusion of the atheistic worldview" stands in as your refutation of the "atheistic worldview".  While you have never explicitly said "...therefore god exists", your prosecution of the "atheistic worldview" does not go past the "logical conclusion" that life is absurd.  You have not shown how the conclusion that life is absurd is itself fallacious or contradictory (although I did entreat you to do so).  As you have not done this, it appears to me that you are content to present this as your refutation of atheism, and therefore your premise for believing in god. 

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:

The assumptions are based on the fact that you keep mischaracterizing my statements.  

Mind you, I am alert to the possibility that I might misrepresent your statements, wherefore I ask you to advise me if I have in fact done so.  Mind you further, the risk of misrepresentation would be greatly reduced should you make statements of more worth and less vagueness than you have ("Why is there something rather than nothing"; "Only consciousness qualifies as being both 'something' and 'nothing.'";"god is love" ).

Paisley wrote:

1) Because I have faith and faith seeks understanding. Theology itself is often defined as "faith seeking undertanding."

This is effectively an admission of a circular argument.

Did you mean to ignore the 3rd point, or did you need more time to address it?

Paisley wrote:

Please articulate your position. 

My position is irrelevant to the fallacies in your argument, but since you asked:  Yes, life is ultimately meaningless, or if you prefer, absurd.  The material universe is all there is.  I am not so overcome with anguish at this absurdity that I feel a need to concoct some higher consciousness to petition for a purpose-driven life.

Paisley wrote:

zarathustra wrote:
Please also give attention

to this previous post, where you unintentionally acknowledged the materialistic origin of consciousness.

You will have to be more specific.

You will have to read the post...which I provided a link for.

πππ†
π†††

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:magilum

Paisley wrote:

magilum wrote:
That you believe isn't my concern, but I have to laugh at another example of theistic nihilism. It's generally a Christian affliction, and though you're a panentheist, or something, I suspect your deity is just Yahweh-lite. If the sole proposition that atheism represents removes meaning from life, one has to marvel at the absurdity of the alternative: a creature that will outlive us and curate our memories for a practical eternity. Just articulating it refutes it for me.

In the what? That's supposed to be an argument?

Are you taking the piss?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
C'mon Paisley, you've got

C'mon Paisley, you've got those materialistic atheists backed into a corner now !  Just  a few thousand more pages of posts and I think you'll have these bastards convinced !  

Behold your God !!!

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:The fact is

Paisley wrote:
The fact is that everyone operates based on beliefs. Without them, we would not be able to function.

We all know this. It's the dubious subject of some people's beliefs that worries me.

Paisley wrote:
It's a metaphysical position. If you don't want to engage in metaphysics, then you shouldn't take a metaphysical position.

You're just framing it as a metaphysical position. Metaphysics offers this kind of useless circular dialogue, and the technology coming out of scientific inquiry offers a wealth of solutions to problems. Which one seems more grounded in reality to you?

Do you even consider reality important?

Paisley wrote:
HisWillness wrote:

... a method that consistently proves itself worthy of trust. Trust would be the operative word. Challenging truth to reveal itself through a trustworthy method instead of just guessing and figuring you're right. Metaphysics gets less and less impressive.

Paisley wrote:
Once again, you exercise trust or "faith" in the method. So, it actually thrives on faith.

Oh, I see. Do you have any idea how simple the scientific method actually is? Would you doubt your ability to use a hammer and nail? Would you have to have "faith" that the hammer would drive the nail? No. The hammer just drives the nail. No faith required.

Paisley wrote:
Okay. Have it your way. To be without faith is to be without hope.

Another monumental leap based on assumption. Plenty of hope to go around, even with atheists.

Paisley wrote:
Therefore, the atheist lives in a hopeless state because he lives without faith.

The fact that any of us continue this conversation is a good argument that atheists have hope.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:1) Because I

Paisley wrote:

So ... faith seeks understanding of what, now? And how do you know the intrinsic nature of God?

Wait ... ARE you God?

Mikayla_Starstuff
Mikayla_Starstuff's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:So are you a

Loc wrote:
So are you a deist?

No, I am a pantheist/panentheist.

I'm not so sure that needs to be fixed. According to Richard Dawkins "deism is watered down theism" and "pantheism is sexed up atheism". And I tend to agree with him on that point.

But then, it sorta means on exactly what you mean when you say you are a pantheist. Are you the naturalist sort of pantheist or do you think there are spirits behind everything?

-Mikel

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:HisWillness

Paisley wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

Solipsism is a rather lonely metaphysics. As an epistemology, it is ultimately absurd, to use your phrase. So, if we can discount solipsism as an epistemology (though not as a metaphysics), let's consider science.

Do you agree that our sensations of the universe are actual observations of the universe? That is, are we observing an objective reality? If not, you subscribe to some form of solipsism, and I'm afraid our discussions end here, as our worldviews are too divergent.

Making the assumption we are observing a reality:

By Kant's logic, there are two kinds of truth-statements. There are analytic truth statements, which are statements that are assumed to be true. He has many examples of them, but the basic criteria for these is that assuming the opposite results in contradiction. Analytic statements are beyond observational evidence. Mathematic axioms fall into this realm.

So does the assumption that the scientific method works. It is assumed to be true, because assuming the opposite is contradictory (unless you are a solipsist, in which case anything goes).

The other truths are synthetic. These are the truths that are built up on analytic truths, and must be supported by observation. Scientific hypothesis fall into this category. Scientific theories are just hypothesis that have always accurately predicted new things.

However, about fifty years ago, Willard Quine presented logic to indicate that analytic statements are indeterminate, at least for a subset of analytic statements. This was later extended by others to include all analytic statements.

This has been further extended into a better philosophical understanding of the scientific method. Basically, all analytic statements are tested when the synthetic statements based upon them are tested. This is a revolutionary idea. It means we no longer have to assume something is true. We have evidence to support its truth every time it is not contradicted. Every time it fits our current ontology, it is further "proven."

This holds for the scientific method. Every time it doesn't fail, its effectiveness is supported.

So, here's where we come to the interesting bit:

Science as an ontology is extremely congruent with observable reality. It has been tested and supported many times. As all knowledge is contingent on observation, yes, I have faith in science. I have faith in science the same way I have faith I'm not going to fall up into the sky tomorrow and out into airless space. I have faith in science the same way I have faith that the earth revolves around the sun. It's a faith grounded in observed reality, based not on some idea in my head, but in the observed facts around me. So, yes, I have faith in science.

Science has given us a coherent ontology that is highly congruent with reality. Oh, don't get me wrong: there's still a helluva lot we don't know. Many physicists wrestle with string theory, for instance. There are many competing hypothesis in string theory at the moment. And we're not even sure string theory is really a theory, as it hasn't been properly tested yet. Then there's the whole acceleration of our long-range spacecraft. There's a delta on their velocity we don't understand yet. And there's the whole black hole thing, too. We have some clear models of what a black hole is, and how it behaves, but we still don't have a clear idea of all the processes that go into the creation of a black hole, nor exactly what happens on the inside once its formed.

And, there's the whole open world of human psychology. We're still in the alchemical stage of studying ourselves, still giving the equivalent of tinctures of mercury trying to heal a wounded id. So, no, there's a lot we don't know.

I will promise you this: in each of these areas of ignorance, it will be science that gives us practical answers that align with observation. Not belief in some watered-down God. Not some desperate hope that your life extends beyond this one. Not in some churlish proclamation that atheism is an absurd worldview (which is an assertion, not a truth statement).

It'll be science.

(Will: This Quine's for you.)

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:  I

nigelTheBold wrote:

I will promise you this: in each of these areas of ignorance, it will be science that gives us practical answers that align with observation. Not belief in some watered-down God. Not some desperate hope that your life extends beyond this one. Not in some churlish proclamation that atheism is an absurd worldview (which is an assertion, not a truth statement).

It'll be science.

Superb !!!

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
BMcD wrote:HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:
The fact is that everyone operates based on beliefs. Without them, we would not be able to function.

We all know this. It's the dubious subject of some people's beliefs that worries me.

Then you agree that reason entails belief and rationality faith.

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:

You're just framing it as a metaphysical position. Metaphysics offers this kind of useless circular dialogue, and the technology coming out of scientific inquiry offers a wealth of solutions to problems. Which one seems more grounded in reality to you?

Metaphysics is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality.  

Quote:
metaphysics a (1): a division of philosophy that is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality and being and that includes ontology, cosmology, and often epistemology (source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

Science has not proven that the fundamental nature of the phenomenal world is materialistic. Quite the contrary, quantum theory suggests that it is not.

Also, I take issue with this notion that faith in God precludes me or any other believer from taking part in science. Contrary to the popular view of this forum, science is not the sole domain of atheists. And the truth of the matter is that some of the greatest scientists have held a metaphysical belief in some kind of God-concept.

HisWillness wrote:

Yes, that's why I'm interested in metaphysical issues.

HisWillness wrote:
a method that consistently proves itself worthy of trust. Trust would be the operative word. Challenging truth to reveal itself through a trustworthy method instead of just guessing and figuring you're right. Metaphysics gets less and less impressive.

I agree..."trust" is the operative word and it is a word that implies faith. As we can see, reason and belief (or rationality and faith) mutually entail each other. You can't have one without the other.

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Oh, I see. Do you have any idea how simple the scientific method actually is? Would you doubt your ability to use a hammer and nail? Would you have to have "faith" that the hammer would drive the nail? No. The hammer just drives the nail. No faith required.

No, this is not true. I would have to have confidence or faith in my ability to use the hammer. Once again, I have demonstrated that we all operate on an element of faith. Indeed, without faith, we would not be able to function at all.

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Another monumental leap based on assumption. Plenty of hope to go around, even with atheists.

It wasn't an assumption; it was a rhetorical comment to demonstrate the fact that atheist operate on hope (faith) too.

HisWillness wrote:
Paisley wrote:
Therefore, the atheist lives in a hopeless state because he lives without faith.

The fact that any of us continue this conversation is a good argument that atheists have hope.

Okay. Have it your way. Atheists live on hope and therefore faith.  

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
The warm and squishy god....

The Universal Mind...

What are its attributes? What are it's thoughts and philosophy? Could the Universe pass the Turing test? The wonderful thing about claims for a nebulous, ill defined god figure is it's lack of specificity. It allows the adherant to make any statement they please because they are truely making it up as they go along. I would ask for your evidence, sir, that this mind exists.

The Atheist Worldview...

I don't 'have' an atheist world view. My view of the world is colored by over 50 years of life experience, of which my lack of superstition is but a small part. If life has an 'ultimate purpose' (I love the hyperboli) it is to assure the continuence of itself. Yes, mundane as it seems, we are all just the transport system for mitochondria... If you want 'meaning'... you must make it for yourself. By the way, having a cosmic puppetmaster doesn't equate to meaning, it's just fanciful thinking.

Oh, and sonny, I'm in the middle of a long and interesting life. I've been an observer (sometimes passive, sometimes not) of some of the most stupendous events in our history. I've known the horror of war and death up close and personal, I've felt the ultimate joy of life in it's renewal. I'm a father to 13 magnificent human beings (8 we adopted) and a grandfather to 29 and counting. I have interesting and rewarding work, which benifits my community, interests that span the spectrum of human endeavors, and I sleep with a goddess...

Your arrogance in proclaiming MY life to be "ultimately be meaninglness and absurd" while you waste your intellect on fantasies, is to say the least, insulting.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:(Will:

nigelTheBold wrote:

(Will: This Quine's for you.)

Haha! Awesome. Literally; as in, I'm filled with awe reading your post. You're like a Quine powerhouse now.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Science has

Paisley wrote:
Science has not proven that the fundamental nature of the phenomenal world is materialistic. Quite the contrary, quantum theory suggests that it is not.

You are presenting an implied false dichotomy. Our choices are not limited to "materialistic" (meaning governed by Newtonian mechanics, from the way you use the word "materialism" ) or "God." There are other options, most of which are far more logical than "God."

Paisley wrote:
Also, I take issue with this notion that faith in God precludes me or any other believer from taking part in science. Contrary to the popular view of this forum, science is not the sole domain of atheists. And the truth of the matter is that some of the greatest scientists have held a metaphysical belief in some kind of God-concept.

Yes, many held a deistic faith. This didn't preclude them from practising science. Einstein held a faith in Spinoza's naturalistic pantheism. We understand that. Einstein didn't use ignorance to try to prove his God, either. He had enough faith he didn't need proof.

The problem comes when that faith interferes with the science and knowledge, such as the case with Behe. His faith guides his research, and though he has been disproven many times, he still presents his unscientific assertions as scientific hypothesis.

Quote:

No, this is not true. I would have to have confidence or faith in my ability to use the hammer. Once again, I have demonstrated that we all operate on an element of faith. Indeed, without faith, we would not be able to function at all.

Here's my biggest problem with your use of metaphysics: you seem to think you can make broad wise-sounding statements without any kind of evidence. Also, you get to conflate "knowledge" and "faith" willy-nilly. If that is what metaphysics gives us, I'd rather have outright ignorance than a false sense of knowledge.

You know, you can contingently assume something is true long enough to test its truth. That isn't faith in that something. That's giving something the benefit of the doubt for a short time, long enough to either support itself or not support itself.

As far as out ability to function without faith: planera don't have faith, but they seem to function quite well.

Quote:
It wasn't an assumption; it was a rhetorical comment to demonstrate the fact that atheist operate on hope (faith) too.

Yes. Like everything you've given us so far, it is pure rhetoric. There's no substance to anything you've presented, just aphorisms, conflation of terms, and unfounded assertions.

Quote:

Dude, you know that hope != faith, right?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

BMcD
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:BMcD

Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Then you agree that reason entails belief and rationality faith.

BMcD wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Metaphysics is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality.  

Quote:
metaphysics a (1): a division of philosophy that is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality and being and that includes ontology, cosmology, and often epistemology (source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

BMcD wrote:

Yes, that's why I'm interested in metaphysical issues.

BMcD wrote:
a method that consistently proves itself worthy of trust. Trust would be the operative word. Challenging truth to reveal itself through a trustworthy method instead of just guessing and figuring you're right. Metaphysics gets less and less impressive.

I agree..."trust" is the operative word and it is a word that implies faith. As we can see, reason and belief (or rationality and faith) mutually entail each other. You can't have one without the other.

BMcD wrote:
Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:
Paisley wrote:

BMcD wrote:
Paisley wrote:

Excuse me, but you've just attributed to me an entire post by His Willness. He and I are not, as of the last time I checked, a hive mind of Williamousity (yes, the 'B' is 'Bill'). Although... (heh) I could be wrong.