The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

Hey all.  It's been a while since I've been on. I appologise, I've been busy. 

The title of this forum is the title of a book I just finished reading.  It's a catchy title, so I figured it'd be a good way to grab someone's attention on here.  The book is written by Becky Garrison. 

If her name doesn't sound familiar, that's fine, it shouldn't.  So why am I wasting your time telling you about this book?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  This is a book written by a True Christian.  HUH?  For all of you who have discussed with me in the past, you understand what I'm talking about and for those of you who haven't you can research my blogs.  Caposkia is my name. 

Anyway, It's written from the viewpoint of how a true Christian feels about of course the atheists in the world today, but more importantly for you, how she feels about Christians in the world. 

This is for all of you arguing with me about how Christians have to be black and white.  How you have to follow a religion and there's nothing outside of religion etc.  She touches on all of this.  I truly think you'll enjoy reading this book and I would like to hear from those of you who have read it if anyone.  If not, I"ll wait till someone finishes it.  It's not a very long book.

When I first came onto this site, I wanted to discuss directly with those who were involved in the infamous television debate that RRS was involved in about the existence of God with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.  They didn't have time and the other non-believers I came across were too opinionated to involve themselves in a conversation that made any progress.  Instead I got into other debates which for the most part were a lot of fun, but I digress. 

Becky mentions this debate as well in her book at the end.  This is for all of you on here I've talked to who would not believe me or had other personal issues with the fact that my opinion didn't flow with their idea of a Christian.  I will breifly say that I hold her viewpoint when she says that if she was at that debate, she would have "crawled out of that church in shame. "

Simply put, we both agree that both sides put forth deplorable excuses for their side and did not defend their side succesfully.  I know I know, many of you will disagree and say that RRS did disprove the existance of God in that debate, but enough with the opinions, I'm saying the other side did just as good of a job proving God.  This debate is a poor excuse to not follow Christ and this book talks about those types of Christians.

This book should clarify many misunderstandings of how True Christians are and I hope bring light to a new understanding of our following. 

It is written differently than most books, but is an informational peice and uses a lot of researched information.  It does focus on the "New Atheists" and is not a book preaching to the masses.  As said, it is from the point of  view of a True Christian.

enjoy, let me know your thoughts.  I would also request, please be respectful in your responses.  I'm here to have mature discussions with people. 

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:TGBaker

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

What I am saying is that it is more than a hunch. You can see the movement through the textual changes and what those changes mean.  And indeed an author may have believed certain things that were already changed through an oral transmission.  Nevertheless the changes are quite readily available by comparing the texts and seeing what the differing propositions mean. You can not say that all of the New Testament writers wrote as they knew it because some changes DO reflect an agenda in mind. It is unlikely that they all knew each other personally because of the significance of the disagreements.

...which according to some scholars would only further support its likelihood and not the other way around.  Disagreements from different sources on minor details about a major event are common and further validate that something of significance on the lines of the gist of the story actually happened.  

I would not call them minor details. I would call them significant changes over a period of a few decades in which the "gist of the story" actually changes.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

To claim you don't have to do research should tell you something.... lemme put it this way.  If I told you.  God is real, I don't have to do research, the belief HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED LONG BEFORE I WAS BORN...  What would you tell me?

YOU ARE THE COWARD, not me. Don't ask us what we would accept as evidence and then refuse to apply it.

ah, then I rest my case.

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
the belief HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED LONG BEFORE I WAS BORN...

NOT AS FACT. A history of making claims doesn't make them fact, otherwise the once popular belief that the earth was flat would be true because people went around claiming it.

The scientific method isn't a fact, it's a method to help support fact.  Belief has been established before either of us was born.. in order for you to accept the scientific method, you need to believe in it.  You have very good reasons for doing so.  I have good reasons for believing in God.  You don't care to discuss though.

Brian37 wrote:

All you have is a history of a book being written by scientifically inept ignorant goat herders over 1,000 year period by 40 authors with books left out. Harly scientific method in a lab setting.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN INVISIBLE MAGICAL SUPER BRAIN, NOT YOURS NOT ANY.

It is just you wanting your super hero to be real.

I believe I just addressed this as ignorant reasoning.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:I would not

TGBaker wrote:

I would not call them minor details. I would call them significant changes over a period of a few decades in which the "gist of the story" actually changes

Ok, Then what was the gist of the story and what did it change to?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:let's

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
let's start a real conversation then.... if you're up for it

You really like banging your head against the wall don't you?

We have already had this conversation, and YES it is one sided, because YOU have absolutely nothing to show for all your convoluted claptrap.

Here is how reality goes, despite your wishful delusion.

Claimant, "I claim x is true"

WHATEVER THE FUCKING CLAIM IS

IT IS UP TO THEM TO PROVE THE CLAIM THEY MAKE BY UNIVERSAL SCIENTIFIC METHOD

OTHERWISE IT IS MERELY YOUR MENTAL MASTURBATION

There, there is the adult conversation you don't want to have.

YOU dont want to do that because you know you cannot do that. It is all in your head and you simply refuse to accept reality.

Simple enough? Or do I need to draw you a coloring book and hand you crayons?

I'd love to see what you do with a coloring book.  don't go outside the lines.

If I'm the one that doesn't want to have the conversation, then why is it you that gets extremely defensive whenever I propose discussing it?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:Sure

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
Sure it's possible that this was an agenda to make people believe something that didn't happen

BINGO! NOW YOU ARE ON TO SOMETHING!

NOT ONLY IS IT POSSIBLE, IT MAKES MUCH MORE SENSE THAN A DISEMBODIED BRAIN WITH NO BRAIN!

You want to believe something badly enough, not only will you believe it, you will do everything within your power to market it. You can sell shit as ice cream if you get gullible people to buy it.

is the only case you have pulling quotes out of context?  that should tell you something.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, Cap.Let's do this

Ok, Cap.

Let's do this according to academic debate.

Let's see how clean your debate is, shall we?...

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:

...discrepancies in dates and times are typical for scripts from this time and earlier.  

Tell it to the judge.

I've talked to many... they agree

Strawman.

Non sequitur.

Red Herring.

The salient point I was making, with my satire, was that 'anecdotal' evidence, is nowhere near enough to reach a verdict on.

1- Do you claim 'they agree' that anecdotal evidence, is sufficient to render verdicts?

2- Or that they agree with the fact that "...discrepancies in dates and times are typical for scripts from this time and earlier."

Number 2 is entirely moot.

Number 1 would be a fallacy.

If the majority of judges agreed that anecdoctal evidence was sufficient to render verdicts, we would be a theocracy, or a dictatorship, and they would be pawns.

You lost 3 points by default, I'll be generous and deduct only 1

Atheist =1

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Look, they weren't even capable of getting their stories straight, even back then.

nothing contradicts.  AT least that's been pointed out to me yet.

Fallacy

Then you haven't done your homework, sufficiently.

Google is your friend.

There are plenty of theologians, and historians who have noted and highlighted contradictions, and missing words in the translations from the various original languages, into english.

You've got some work to do, on the internets.

Atheist=2

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

You are in no position to 'fill in gaps' with speculations, or 'fill in gaps' with claims of knowing anything that you were not witness to personally.

You simply cannot.

neither can you.  

But, I haven't.

False allegation.

You lose a point by default.

I talk about scientifict facts, and robust theories that are more probable to be compatible with the laws surrounding our universe.

Atheist=3

Theist= 0

caposkia wrote:

What gaps am I supposedly filling in?  

All of them.

Rhetorical question.

Atheist=4

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

I'm only diffusing any possible claim at an atheist "filling in the gaps" to say that this didn't happen in history.

You cannot do so, reliably.

The legend of a Christian god is based on the legend of a man who supposedly existed, named Abraham.

There is no way to certify if Abraham is fiction, or to certify his existence, or even further, to certify that he was of sound mind and body, or telling the truth, or delusional.

None.

Zip.

Nada.

Atheist=5

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

That's why investigators and scientists spent so much time and resources to go to the bottom of the ocean to survey the remains of the Titanic. The 'evidence' is there, but they are many gaps that they will never be able to bridge.

right, so plausibility and theory is left... yet a good chunk of the non-believing world accept plausibility as fact.

Redundant.

Some people believe in magic. Even when it's well known to be an illusion.

Atheist=6

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Same with 9/11.

They have video, they have survellience footage, they have cockpit voice recorders, they have phone messages, they have eye witnesses, they had rubble and debris.

And there is still uncertainty, on major points of what actually occurred, despite the level of forensic analysis, and mountains of records, and data, eye witness accounts, testimony of actual survivors, and physical evidence.

and yet we know it still happened. 

We have SOME knowledge ,(but NOT all) because we have both physical evidence, Audio/Video recordings, survivors, and contemporary eye witness accounts.

You do not. 

Apples and oranges.

Atheist=7

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

The question is what's really important, the details, or the fact that it happened?  

Both.

The devil is in the details, you know.

Atheist=8

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

Think about it, if it didn't happen, then the details don't matter.

There's only legend and folklore.

That's not enough to claim anything as fact, otherwise, all legends would be taken as fact, and we'd all be walking around in a haze of disinformation and ignorance.

Societies evolved past that with the age of enlightenment, and evolved to the Industrial Revolution, that was based in 'facts', not legends.

The structure of our modern civilizations is hinged on 'facts'.

Legends, are for entertainment.

Atheist=9

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

That makes what's written in 2000 yr old legends, even more anecdotal, and less likely to be factual, even if they weren't simply fiction to begin with.

so... because we still have uncertainty on major points of something that we know actually happened

Equivocation.

Misleading.

You have used 'we' improperly.

You lose by default.

There are hundreds of millions of people who do not assume that those legends are reality.

Atheist=10

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

that makes the Bible stories LESS factual????? how so.  

Rhetorical question.

You cannot claim anything as fact, that occurs after the legend of Abraham. The fallacy starts with the legend of Abraham, and the lack of evidence supporting it.

Atheist=11

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

to me that makes it more plausible because it confirms the difficulty at getting all the facts strait with major events... especially without the aid of immediate newsfeeds of the happenings.

Redundant.

Agreeing with yourself, based on no evidence, is moot.

I can simple disagree with you, for the lack of evidence.

My determination trumps yours, for the logical reason that your extraordinary (unprecendented) claims, are not supported with extraordinarily compelling evidence.

Legends and folklore (notes wirtten on paper, based on hearsay) DO NOT QUALIFY as extraordinary proof.

Atheist=12

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

There's no logical reason to assume these anecdotal legends are any more authentic than the legends of other religions, that are incompatible with the religion you are biased towards.

There's no logical reason to assume they're not any more authentic either...

False.

Non sequitur.

Atheist=13

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

but to discuss the authenticity of my God,

Non sequitur

You have no evidence of any gods.

Atheist=14

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

we'd have to come to an agreement first about the existence of a metaphysical being to begin with.  

Rhetorical.

You have no precedent.

You need unbiased, impartial verification, to establish scientific laws of the universe.

There is no scientific evidence ever established for anything supernatural.

My 'agreeing' with you, or 'disagreement' with you, should not prevent your evidence from being certifiable as fact, by scientific testing.

Atheist=15

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

You, and you people are not willing to be honest about it, but you cannot escape from the reality that you don't know a single damn thing for sure .

That's the reality.

neither do you

False.

Equivocation.

I do know things that are 100% scientific fact.

I state well established facts, as facts, and theories as theories, and speculations, as speculations.

I do not use the incompatible terms 'facts' and 'speculations', and 'theories' interchangeably.

And the legend of Abraham, is merely a legend, and cannot be scientifically, or legally certified as 'fact'.

Atheist=16

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

but it's the atheists on this forum that are the only ones claiming they do. 

There's no actual precedent. There's only the legend of an Abraham character.

It is entirely correct to default to 'disbelief', of something that has never been evident in reality.

Atheist= 17

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

i have admitted this many times over on this forum.  I'm waiting for someone to show me why i shouldn't believe.  

1- The theory of a monotheistic god, is a false dichotomy, to begin with.

That it's an either/or proposition, and that there are NO alternate explanations possible.

2- It's based on legend.

3- It's supported by naked assertions (aguments from ignorance) that infinite regress, or self generation/regeneration of reality, is impossible.

No single unscientific person/group, with no physical evidence has the authority to legally declare the final verdict, and declare the search 'over', and try and default that their 'theory' should have equal footing with scientific observations and testing of natural reality.

Atheist=18

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

This is not even up for 'interpretation'.

You were not there, so there's no possible way you can claim you have any 'facts'. You couldn't possibly be in a position to certify that a bunch of 2000 yr old notes, written many years after what is alleged.

and likewise you were not there, so there's no possible way you can claim you have any 'facts'.  You couldn't possibly be in a position to certify that a bunch of 2000 yr. old notes were not legit.  

False Allegation.

Rhetorical.

Redundant.

Logical fallacy.

No one can authenticate and certify the lack of evidence, as supporting the veracity of a theory.

You're lucky that I'll only deduct 1 point from you, for a sling of academic errors.

Athiest=19

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

You were not there at the time.

What would be honest for you to say, is;  " I don't know, I wasn't there"

I'll admit that, but I have reason to believe... that's what's in question. 

You have a right to personal beliefs.

You do not have a right to certify them as 'facts' simply because you believe, and hundreds of millions of people don't.

Atheist=20

Theist=0 

caposkia wrote:

You have reason not to believe.  We should share our reasoning, not excuses as to why either of us can't say for sure.

False allegation.

Equivocation.

You lose by default.

I have not made excuses ONCE, for why I don't find it reasonable to adopt the 'legends and folklore' as authentic and factual journalism, or forensic investigation.

Not once.

Atheist =21

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

Question... would you likewise admit this?

Rhetorical question.

Attempt to make one self incriminate themselves.

Default.

Atheist=22

Theist=0

We played past 21.

I win.

I played under university level rules of academic debate.

You are free to print this off, and check with any number of universities that you wish, and post their analysis, and compare how they score the debate, to mine.

Good luck.

I will move on to part 2, when I'm bored enough...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

I would not call them minor details. I would call them significant changes over a period of a few decades in which the "gist of the story" actually changes

Jesus was an apocalyptic teacher who was seen to perform miracles.  He was elevated in one circle of followers to being virgin born.  paul cast him in an ahistorical  Hellenistic Savior myth.  Another segment of the movement continued as Jewish followers who expecte4d his return but did not believe in the virgin birth or that Jesus was god or divine. The Jewish Christian traditions about Jesus become elevated with the Johannine Hellenistic Logos Christology.  The Ebionite movement was wiped out pretty much in the second revolt under ben Kochba. Neo-platonic thought moved another aspect of Jewish thought with the help of the Johannine literature toward Gnosticism.  Logos Christology became predominate in the secondcentury while Paul's writings became old hat. Marcion rejected the jewish background of god and created the first Christian bible. Other groups of churches reacted against marcion and Paul's writings came back into popularity as well as the pseudepigraphical ones attrbuted to Paul and Peter/Jude and John.  Various forms of Christianity competed with each other creating more and more writings attributed to the Apsotles. The gospels were attributed to Matthew , Mark, Luke and John. jesus became more and more divine and everybody got together and created a bunch of trinity theories. The politicians won.

Look at Mark 1:2. They are supposed to be from Malachi 3:1 and Isaiah 40:3. The pronouns and what the text has been altered to make the baptist look like the forerunner to Jesus. Malachi, "See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me," (3:1) verses Mark 1:2b See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way".  The scripture has been altered as a proof text and appears with the same change  in Matthew 11:10-15 and Luke 7:27  : “This is the one about whom it is written, ‘Behold, I send My messenger ahead of You, Who will prepare Your way before You.’ Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force. For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John. And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”So Jesus does not really quote Malachi. The church's tradion is placed in Jesus's mouth.  Looks intentionally fabricated to me.   Malachi speaks of Elijah coming before Yahweh.  The tradition Mark uses has merged it with Isaiah 40:3 to have God talking to Jesus telling Jesus that he will send his messenger Elijah before him.  For Malachi Elijah is the messenger of the covenant. This is seen in Jewish interpretation , the Targums. Elijah is the eschatological High Priest and was to be an actual return and not in the spirit of Elijah ( the forced reinterpretation of the Christian passages) The gospel of John drops the baptism of jesus by the baptist and has the Baptist deny that he is Elijah:

Yet it is just as clear that John denies that he is Elijah: "I am not

[Elijah] (e]gw> ou]k ei]mi<, John 1:21, 23) IN Ben Sira Elijah was the one who brought the eschatological age and possibly the resurrection of the dead. In Isaiah 40:3 the preparation is for God not a Messiah thus the pronoun change by the Christian tradition. Thus Jesus's original teacher is subordinated by him. The baptism for remission of sin in that Jeus has is dropped by matthre and Luke. Instead of jesus receiving the spirit at baptism ( note the preposition in the Greek eis meaning into ) the spirit rest upon him ( Matthew and Luke use different prepositions to change this from the meaning of eis).  The church altered many Old Testament texts throughout the New Testament to have them mean what they wanted.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
Sure it's possible that this was an agenda to make people believe something that didn't happen

NOT ONLY IS IT POSSIBLE, IT MAKES MUCH MORE SENSE THAN A DISEMBODIED BRAIN WITH NO BRAIN!

You want to believe something badly enough, not only will you believe it, you will do everything within your power to market it. You can sell shit as ice cream if you get gullible people to buy it.

is the only case you have pulling quotes out of context?  that should tell you something.

NO moron, the line by itself, NO MATTER who says it, MAKES SENSE, as a stand alone line, as a bit of advice to you as what should be suspect vs what should be taken seriously.

You "Buy the car, it is blue"

Me "Can I have it independently inspected?"

You "NO, buy it because it is blue"

The person who wants to sell you the car has an agenda. Someone who has a fact doesn't need to hide behind simply selling it and wouldn't care if the car was inspected independently.

YOU have an agenda and the fact that I don't simply take your word for it bothers you. THAT should tell you that you cant handle the cognitive dissidence you are unaware of or ignoring that is going on in your head.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:caposkia

Brian37 wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

NO moron, the line by itself, NO MATTER who says it, MAKES SENSE, as a stand alone line, as a bit of advice to you as what should be suspect vs what should be taken seriously.

The person who wants to sell you the car has an agenda. Someone who has a fact doesn't need to hide behind simply selling it and wouldn't care if the car was inspected independently.

YOU have an agenda and the fact that I don't simply take your word for it bothers you. THAT should tell you that you cant handle the cognitive dissidence you are unaware of or ignoring that is going on in your head.

Or has it moved up to:

"Has the car been inspected?"

"Yes it has"

"Can I see the inspection report?"

"You won't be able to understand it until after you buy the car"

Cap why are you and God having so much trouble with an atheists saying "Show me the Carfax"?

Seriously, the discussion seems to have gone from "what kind of evidence would you accept?" to "does the atheist have the intellectual chops to understand my evidence?"

Give the evidence and let us see for ourselves whether we can understand it. Or are you afraid we might ask a question the evidence can't handle? 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Brian37

jcgadfly wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

Or has it moved up to:

"Has the car been inspected?"

"Yes it has"

"Can I see the inspection report?"

"You won't be able to understand it until after you buy the car"

Cap why are you and God having so much trouble with an atheists saying "Show me the Carfax"?

Seriously, the discussion seems to have gone from "what kind of evidence would you accept?" to "does the atheist have the intellectual chops to understand my evidence?"

Give the evidence and let us see for ourselves whether we can understand it. Or are you afraid we might ask a question the evidence can't handle? 

He has given us the "evidence", you and I just don't want to see it. (barf)

The reality isn't that he has "evidence', he has mistaken what he has as "evidence" because of his disposition to blindly swallow it.

Like we keep telling him, if he actually had something other than elaborate claptrap, it would be widely universal and testable. It would be universally accepted like cell phones and computers and DNA.

He fails to consider or willfully ignores that he has merely fallen for an emotional appeal and because of the REAL flaw of human evolution of filling in the gaps, he fills in the gap with this fictional being. He fails to consider that it really is all in his head despite the "intense" feelings he may have for protecting his position. If he had something beyond his own ego to protect his claims, then he would have no fear of taking these claims into a neutral lab setting independent of himself or his claims.

Normal human psychology without a fictional being explains why humans have always made up these fictional super heros and falsely believe them to be real. He thinks he is unique because of the way he presents his argument but he is no different than any other human in human history that has made up a god, or been sold a god and falsely believed it to be real.

I am quite sure there are REAL chemical actions and emotional reactions that feel intense as to lean someone to this placebo position. but they are not real in the sense that a god is causing or allowing these reactions. They are only real in the sense that our brains can fall for false perceptions.

I only hope Cap wakes up before he wastes his entire life believing in this fictional being.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
When Jesus died he was

When Jesus died he was resurrected. He rose into his own myth. 

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
If Jeebus was the son of a

If there had been a Jeebus, and he was the son of a god, ya'd think he'd at least been a fricken' Ninja...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

anyuta34i (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
This is what the 5scammers

This is what the 5scammers expect, the check will new york asian escort only bounce about 3 weeks to a month later at which point your bank will take back the money leaving you short of the shipping money. The best way of avoiding this fraud is not to sell your vehicle to someone who wants to pay the shipper.I new york asian escorts hope all this hasn't scared you away from the Internet, If you are sensible and wary about offers that seem too good to be true then you should be Ok, just new york escort apply the same commonsense you use in everyday life, after all if a stranger walked up to you in the street and said "Hi I am from your bank what's new york escorts your credit card number and PIN"

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Ok, Cap.Let's

redneF wrote:

Ok, Cap.

Let's do this according to academic debate.

Let's see how clean your debate is, shall we?...

Ok.  I'm here to discuss possibilities. You're apparently here to prove me wrong.  Automatic dirty debate on your part.  Let's go with this Smiling

redneF wrote:

I've talked to many... they agree

Strawman.

Non sequitur.

Red Herring.

The salient point I was making, with my satire, was that 'anecdotal' evidence, is nowhere near enough to reach a verdict on.

and yet you still have.  I have a belief in something, but I've told everyone on here and I'll tell you that I'm willing to listen to your reasoning and discuss it.  Just don't be upset when I tear it apart to make sure it's rational just as you would with mine.  I do this so that I can better understand your point of view and make sure there are no holes in the case.

redneF wrote:

1- Do you claim 'they agree' that anecdotal evidence, is sufficient to render verdicts?

dispensationalists would take any reasoning without evidence.

redneF wrote:

2- Or that they agree with the fact that "...discrepancies in dates and times are typical for scripts from this time and earlier."

Number 2 is entirely moot.

Number 1 would be a fallacy.

moot yet most atheists I talk to use that as their defense.

redneF wrote:

If the majority of judges agreed that anecdoctal evidence was sufficient to render verdicts, we would be a theocracy, or a dictatorship, and they would be pawns.

You lost 3 points by default, I'll be generous and deduct only 1

I deduct 4 points from you by the point that you're concluding on a topic that simply rendered a point that a judge would agree on the presence and consistency of discrepancies, not a verdict.  

Atheist =0

Theist=0

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:

nothing contradicts.  AT least that's been pointed out to me yet.

Fallacy

show me your research

redneF wrote:

Then you haven't done your homework, sufficiently.

Google is your friend.

There are plenty of theologians, and historians who have noted and highlighted contradictions, and missing words in the translations from the various original languages, into english.

You've got some work to do, on the internets.

you have still failed to consider what I have already told you about what homework I have done and what homework I am currently doing.

Atheist=0

Theist=0

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

You are in no position to 'fill in gaps' with speculations, or 'fill in gaps' with claims of knowing anything that you were not witness to personally.

You simply cannot.

neither can you.  

But, I haven't.

False allegation.

I talk about scientifict facts, and robust theories that are more probable to be compatible with the laws surrounding our universe.

robust theories... robust being subjective... so... anecdotal on a scientific front... I rest my case.  

Atheist=0

Theist= 0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

What gaps am I supposedly filling in?  

All of them.

Rhetorical question.

default on asking a legitimate question that still hasn't been answered.  I should subtract points

Atheist=-1

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

I'm only diffusing any possible claim at an atheist "filling in the gaps" to say that this didn't happen in history.

You cannot do so, reliably.

anymore than an atheist can use history alone and reliably confirm it didn't happen.

Atheist=-1

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

right, so plausibility and theory is left... yet a good chunk of the non-believing world accept plausibility as fact.

Redundant.

thank you for proving my point.

Atheist=-2

Theist=0

redneF wrote:

We have SOME knowledge ,(but NOT all) because we have both physical evidence, Audio/Video recordings, survivors, and contemporary eye witness accounts.

You do not. 

Apples and oranges.

apples to oranges, yet it seems you among other atheists are still expecting a Christian to come up with Audio/Video recordings, survivors, and eye witness accounts of the event in order to retract your belief that it didn't happen.

Atheist=-3

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

The question is what's really important, the details, or the fact that it happened?  

Both.

right... and your point?  Both are important, but the question was what's REALLY important.  Think about it, if it didn't actually happen, the details don't matter.  -4 for not thinking before commenting Eye-wink

Atheist=-7

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

Think about it, if it didn't happen, then the details don't matter.

There's only legend and folklore.

ah, so you have evidence that is more than just naked assertion that confirms the likelihood that it didn't happen.  I'll give you a point back at this point pending you sharing your research.

Atheist=-6

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

That makes what's written in 2000 yr old legends, even more anecdotal, and less likely to be factual, even if they weren't simply fiction to begin with.

so... because we still have uncertainty on major points of something that we know actually happened

Equivocation.

Misleading.

You have used 'we' improperly.

You lose by default.

you like to say I lose without explaining yourself.  I take that point back I gave you before.  We is in reference to followers of Christ, used correctly here in this context, -5 more.

Atheist=-12

Theist=0

redneF wrote:

There are hundreds of millions of people who do not assume that those legends are reality.

right.  That's why we distinguish ourselves from dispensationalists.  We actually have homework to back it up.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

that makes the Bible stories LESS factual????? how so.  

Rhetorical question.

You cannot claim anything as fact, that occurs after the legend of Abraham. The fallacy starts with the legend of Abraham, and the lack of evidence supporting it.

the only one who can claim a question is rhetorical is the one who asks it -10.  I never claimed anything as fact in that statement, only questioned your rationale.  -5 more.

Atheist=-27

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

to me that makes it more plausible because it confirms the difficulty at getting all the facts strait with major events... especially without the aid of immediate newsfeeds of the happenings.

Redundant.

Agreeing with yourself, based on no evidence, is moot.

I can simple disagree with you, for the lack of evidence.

My determination trumps yours, for the logical reason that your extraordinary (unprecendented) claims, are not supported with extraordinarily compelling evidence.

Legends and folklore (notes wirtten on paper, based on hearsay) DO NOT QUALIFY as extraordinary proof.

I'm agreeing with historical congruency and you can look up any other historical document from that time or before to confirm.  -5 for not thinking again.

I can disagree with you for lack of evidence as well and then we're right where we left off... no points on either side for that.

You're stuck on legends and folklore when all you've quoted is discussing congruency in errors in written scrolls during that time.  poor judgement yeilds -5 more.

Atheist=-37

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

There's no logical reason to assume they're not any more authentic either...

False.

show me

Atheist=-37

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

but to discuss the authenticity of my God,

Non sequitur

You have no evidence of any gods.

not a conclusion, part of a statement.  failure to apply context -10

Atheist=-47

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

we'd have to come to an agreement first about the existence of a metaphysical being to begin with.  

Rhetorical.

You have no precedent.

You need unbiased, impartial verification, to establish scientific laws of the universe.

There is no scientific evidence ever established for anything supernatural.

My 'agreeing' with you, or 'disagreement' with you, should not prevent your evidence from being certifiable as fact, by scientific testing.

of course not, but the point is through science alone, there is no instrument that is designed to study the metaphysical and we have no understanding of how to create one.  You're defaulting on the ignorance of man.  -5

Atheist=-52

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

neither do you

False.

Equivocation.

I do know things that are 100% scientific fact.

....and 100% scientific fact does not give probable cause in any way to conclude that the metaphysical is not possible.  -10

Atheist=-62

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

but it's the atheists on this forum that are the only ones claiming they do. 

There's no actual precedent. There's only the legend of an Abraham character.

It is entirely correct to default to 'disbelief', of something that has never been evident in reality.

and yet most atheists I've talked to still resort to the "we just don't know yet" vs. disbelief on other topics not related to the metaphysical yet still not proven.  -5 for a poor excuse for your personal conclusion.

Atheist= -67

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

i have admitted this many times over on this forum.  I'm waiting for someone to show me why i shouldn't believe.  

1- The theory of a monotheistic god, is a false dichotomy, to begin with.

That it's an either/or proposition, and that there are NO alternate explanations possible.

strawman

2- It's based on legend.

you have evidence that it's based on legend and not based on fact?

redneF wrote:

3- It's supported by naked assertions (aguments from ignorance) that infinite regress, or self generation/regeneration of reality, is impossible.

dispensationalists claim that too and give just as much support for their point as you have.

redneF wrote:

No single unscientific person/group, with no physical evidence has the authority to legally declare the final verdict, and declare the search 'over', and try and default that their 'theory' should have equal footing with scientific observations and testing of natural reality.

sure.  That still doesn't validate your conclusion any further.  no points on either end.

Atheist=-67

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

and likewise you were not there, so there's no possible way you can claim you have any 'facts'.  You couldn't possibly be in a position to certify that a bunch of 2000 yr. old notes were not legit.  

False Allegation.

Rhetorical.

Redundant.

Logical fallacy.

No one can authenticate and certify the lack of evidence, as supporting the veracity of a theory.

you do like redundancy. 

redneF wrote:

You're lucky that I'll only deduct 1 point from you, for a sling of academic errors.

I am?  My calculations so far are not looking good for you my friend.  I get no points because other than the discussion of congruency in historical documents, no conclusion has been presented or offered at this point... your assumption that by what was said a conclusion has been made costs you 6 more points.

Athiest=-73

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

I'll admit that, but I have reason to believe... that's what's in question. 

You have a right to personal beliefs.

You do not have a right to certify them as 'facts' simply because you believe, and hundreds of millions of people don't.

I haven't I offered a discussion.  -5 points for assuming.  

Atheist=-78

Theist=0 

caposkia wrote:

You have reason not to believe.  We should share our reasoning, not excuses as to why either of us can't say for sure.

False allegation.

Equivocation.

You lose by default.

I have not made excuses ONCE, for why I don't find it reasonable to adopt the 'legends and folklore' as authentic and factual journalism, or forensic investigation.

Not once.

you're whole score method to try and make theists look ignorant only further proves my point.  If you really had a case for your belief, you wouldn't have to resort to such a game... though i am having fun.  No points change.

Atheist =-78

Theist=0

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Question... would you likewise admit this?

Rhetorical question.

no... actual question.  Failed to answer = -50 points.

Atheist=-128

Theist=0

redneF wrote:

We played past 21.

I win.

you you owe the house.  nice try.

redneF wrote:

I played under university level rules of academic debate.

and failed to look at your own case.

redneF wrote:

You are free to print this off, and check with any number of universities that you wish, and post their analysis, and compare how they score the debate, to mine.

Good luck.

I will move on to part 2, when I'm bored enough...

if you did, you'd know they don't score like that.  I have yet to see a legitimate debate with a scorecard.  Fail... but nice try.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello?????

caposkia wrote:TGBaker caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Jesus was an apocalyptic teacher who was seen to perform miracles.  He was elevated in one circle of followers to being virgin born.  paul cast him in an ahistorical  Hellenistic Savior myth.  Another segment of the movement continued as Jewish followers who expecte4d his return but did not believe in the virgin birth or that Jesus was god or divine. The Jewish Christian traditions about Jesus become elevated with the Johannine Hellenistic Logos Christology.  The Ebionite movement was wiped out pretty much in the second revolt under ben Kochba. Neo-platonic thought moved another aspect of Jewish thought with the help of the Johannine literature toward Gnosticism.  Logos Christology became predominate in the secondcentury while Paul's writings became old hat. Marcion rejected the jewish background of god and created the first Christian bible. Other groups of churches reacted against marcion and Paul's writings came back into popularity as well as the pseudepigraphical ones attrbuted to Paul and Peter/Jude and John.  Various forms of Christianity competed with each other creating more and more writings attributed to the Apsotles. The gospels were attributed to Matthew , Mark, Luke and John. jesus became more and more divine and everybody got together and created a bunch of trinity theories. The politicians won.

Look at Mark 1:2. They are supposed to be from Malachi 3:1 and Isaiah 40:3. The pronouns and what the text has been altered to make the baptist look like the forerunner to Jesus. Malachi, "See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me," (3:1) verses Mark 1:2b See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way".  The scripture has been altered as a proof text and appears with the same change  in Matthew 11:10-15 and Luke 7:27  : “This is the one about whom it is written, ‘Behold, I send My messenger ahead of You, Who will prepare Your way before You.’ Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and violent men take it by force. For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John. And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”So Jesus does not really quote Malachi. The church's tradion is placed in Jesus's mouth.  Looks intentionally fabricated to me.   Malachi speaks of Elijah coming before Yahweh.  The tradition Mark uses has merged it with Isaiah 40:3 to have God talking to Jesus telling Jesus that he will send his messenger Elijah before him.  For Malachi Elijah is the messenger of the covenant. This is seen in Jewish interpretation , the Targums. Elijah is the eschatological High Priest and was to be an actual return and not in the spirit of Elijah ( the forced reinterpretation of the Christian passages) The gospel of John drops the baptism of jesus by the baptist and has the Baptist deny that he is Elijah:

[Elijah] (e]gw> ou]k ei]mi<, John 1:21, 23) IN Ben Sira Elijah was the one who brought the eschatological age and possibly the resurrection of the dead. In Isaiah 40:3 the preparation is for God not a Messiah thus the pronoun change by the Christian tradition. Thus Jesus's original teacher is subordinated by him. The baptism for remission of sin in that Jeus has is dropped by matthre and Luke. Instead of jesus receiving the spirit at baptism ( note the preposition in the Greek eis meaning into ) the spirit rest upon him ( Matthew and Luke use different prepositions to change this from the meaning of eis).  The church altered many Old Testament texts throughout the New Testament to have them mean what they wanted.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cap, you are getting your

Cap, you are getting your ass handed to you over and over and you cant do the simplest thing to convince us.

You need to stop playing word games with us and DO what YOU asked us would convince us.

You know you cant do that so you have to make shit up to protect your own ego.

Give it up.

We have telescopes, and we know what DNA is. We don't need fictional non-material beings to explain life. Not yours, not any.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:caposkia

caposkia wrote:

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:
Redundant.

thank you for proving my point.

Ummm, I proved that some people believe in things that are not real, and are illusions designed specifically to be novel. That, in no way works in favour of ancient stories being nonfictional.

In fact, many apologists, openly claim that the biblical stories are mostly meant to be taken metaphorically.

caposkia wrote:
yet it seems you among other atheists are still expecting a Christian to come up with Audio/Video recordings, survivors, and eye witness accounts of the event in order to retract your belief that it didn't happen.

It seems you guys don't understand naunce.

As an atheist, I don't believe/disbelieve the stories in the bible.

I have no reason to not understand that they're fictional.

Basing a 'belief' on characters, and scenarios in a work of fiction, would make one delusional.

caposkia wrote:

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Both.

right... and your point?  

I thought it would be evident.

I guess I need to draw you a picture.

I'll call it:

"My Dispassionate Stance"

-----------------------------------------

If a complete stranger (or even my best friend) said to me, that he went into his pocket to pull out the $20 bill he thought was in there, and it seemed to him that it was no longer there, and that he was now out 20 dollars, ....I'd comprehend that he thought he was out 20 dollars.

Because that's the ONLY thing I know for sure.

If someone else asked me what was 'going on', I'd say 'He thinks he's out 20 dollars'.

If some asked me 'how'?, I say 'I don't know for certain, he just believes he's out 20 dollars'.

That's 'exactly'  my position on what theists 'believe'.

I don't have a justification or reason to have a 'firm' opinion, one way or the other, on anything that could have any number of alternate 'natural' explanations.

I'm not emotionally invested in the scenario. I'm impartial.

IOW, I don't care...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

caposkia wrote:

Think about it, if it didn't actually happen, the details don't matter. 

Well, without any details you can't have a story.

I understand some of the basic storyline. And it's not even entertaining to me. I'm not superstitious, or into far fetched science fiction.

I wouldn't waste my time building a counter theory to 'Scientology', either.

Would you?

Or do you accept that their theory is plausible?

caposkia wrote:

ah, so you have evidence that is more than just naked assertion that confirms the likelihood that it didn't happen. 

Ummm, no.

Why would I waste my time???

I don't think you understand the base 'concepts' of 'critical thinking', 'skepticism', 'objective thinking', whatsoever.

I gave an example of how I think, in "My Dispassionate Stance"

caposkia wrote:

I'll give you a point back at this point pending you sharing your research.

Ummm, it's not a goal of mine, in life, to find out where the origins of the universe are.

I don't see the point.

What difference could it possibly make?

caposkia wrote:

...but the point is through science alone, there is no instrument that is designed to study the metaphysical

That's a non sequitur.

A lack of any attributes, is not anything.

Only 'attributes' can be quantified, and scaled.

If there is a lack of attributes, and a lack of any constants, that appear to be 'unnatural', WTF is there to talk about?

You want to study a vacuum, and/or the absence of space/time?

WTF for?

caposkia wrote:

...and we have no understanding of how to create one.  

That makes no sense.

You want someone to conceive of an instrument that detects the absence of attributes?

Are you sober?

caposkia wrote:

you're whole score method to try and make theists look ignorant..

What exactly are you experts on?

Reading stories, butchering the english language, and navel gazing?

Of course you look completely ignorant.

caposkia wrote:

If you really had a case for your belief, you wouldn't have to resort to such a game...

1- I don't have a 'counter belief', or 'counter dogma' to you. Why would I? Why would one be necessary? I don't care about the origins of the universe, nor the origins of life.

2- My posts were my sincere thoughts.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Ummm, I proved

redneF wrote:

Ummm, I proved that some people believe in things that are not real, and are illusions designed specifically to be novel. That, in no way works in favour of ancient stories being nonfictional.

I simply stated that people accept certain ideas as truth without sufficient evidence to prove such.. you only confirmed that statement by furthering it and stating an assumption that generally those 'accepted truths' are not real.  

redneF wrote:

In fact, many apologists, openly claim that the biblical stories are mostly meant to be taken metaphorically.

...and there's a reason why they're called apologists.  they must apologize for not having a better reasoning for believing.

redneF wrote:

It seems you guys don't understand naunce.

As an atheist, I don't believe/disbelieve the stories in the bible.

I have no reason to not understand that they're fictional.

Basing a 'belief' on characters, and scenarios in a work of fiction, would make one delusional.

Ah, so you can think logically.  I was thinking you weren't able to.  This my friends is exactly what i would accept as a reasonable, logical conclusion for disbelief.  Though the last statement is rooted in assumption and your case sounds much better without it.  that way you're only stating your reasoning and not reaching for justification of your reasoning.  

you are however stating that they are a work of fiction.. which would require appropriate referencing for reasoning.  Either the author would have to claim it themselves which is typically the case, or in this case, there'd have to be sufficient proof through all other avenues to confirm that these stories in no way have a place in history.  if they were so confirmed, there would be no debate.

redneF wrote:

I thought it would be evident.

I guess I need to draw you a picture.

I'll call it:

"My Dispassionate Stance"

-----------------------------------------

If a complete stranger (or even my best friend) said to me, that he went into his pocket to pull out the $20 bill he thought was in there, and it seemed to him that it was no longer there, and that he was now out 20 dollars, ....I'd comprehend that he thought he was out 20 dollars.

Because that's the ONLY thing I know for sure.

If someone else asked me what was 'going on', I'd say 'He thinks he's out 20 dollars'.

If some asked me 'how'?, I say 'I don't know for certain, he just believes he's out 20 dollars'.

That's 'exactly'  my position on what theists 'believe'.

I don't have a justification or reason to have a 'firm' opinion, one way or the other, on anything that could have any number of alternate 'natural' explanations.

I'm not emotionally invested in the scenario. I'm impartial.

IOW, I don't care...

I get that now from your logical statement earlier... my question to you is your point on the devil being part of the details.  What's the point of stating that?  Do Christians in your mind not accept the devil as real?  Or were you just being 'punny'

Just for the record, I'm on here to "challenge my own understanding"... IOW, I don't care what others think of my belief as long as they rationally challenge it.  When they don't, I sit here and tear their case apart... it's how i came to be a believer.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Think about it, if it didn't actually happen, the details don't matter. 

Well, without any details you can't have a story.

I understand some of the basic storyline. And it's not even entertaining to me. I'm not superstitious, or into far fetched science fiction.

I wouldn't waste my time building a counter theory to 'Scientology', either.

Would you?

Or do you accept that their theory is plausible?

Sure, but whether it's a story or not is not in question here, it's whether the story is truth or not.  

i understand that the Bible was not written for entertainment, but for information.  many Christians would say it's a manual for life.  Manuals are usually not very entertaining to read, but they give you some good information.  

As far as Scientology, there are reasons why I reject denominations and dispensationalists, but we can get into that another time.

caposkia wrote:

ah, so you have evidence that is more than just naked assertion that confirms the likelihood that it didn't happen. 

Ummm, no.

Why would I waste my time???

I don't think you understand the base 'concepts' of 'critical thinking', 'skepticism', 'objective thinking', whatsoever.

I gave an example of how I think, in "My Dispassionate Stance"

you seem to think you know, so you'd waste your time for the same reason i'd "waste" mine.. though I don't see it as a waste.  im' prepared for when I'm challenged, to support reasoning in my belief.  I understand those basic concepts, to ignore evidences because you don't feel like wasting your time does not fall in the category of 'critical thinking' or 'objective thinking'.  Atheists on this site who have felt i have nothing more than a naked assertion have called me ignorant and a 'wishful thinker'.

redneF wrote:

Ummm, it's not a goal of mine, in life, to find out where the origins of the universe are.

I don't see the point.

If you're so impartial and could care less, then why are you so incessant on falsifying my belief?

What difference?  If what i believe is true, a HuGE difference.  If you could confirm what I believe to not be true, that would also make a HUGE difference.

redneF wrote:

A lack of any attributes, is not anything.

Only 'attributes' can be quantified, and scaled.

If there is a lack of attributes, and a lack of any constants, that appear to be 'unnatural', WTF is there to talk about?

You want to study a vacuum, and/or the absence of space/time?

WTF for?

by definition attributes cannot always be quantified and scaled.  It's a cause and effect scenario.  A result is 'attributed' to a likely cause, it could be an emotion which typically cannot be scaled any more than to say someone was slightly miffed to wicked angry.  I guess in the same sense one could attribute a result to God with probable reasoning and say that either God had a hand in it or God did it all.  

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

...and we have no understanding of how to create one.  

That makes no sense.

You want someone to conceive of an instrument that detects the absence of attributes?

Are you sober?

Not at all, but there are others on here who apparently do... you might want to ask them of their sobriety.  My case is simply it can't be done and therefore i would never ask anyone to try... there would have to be other means besides building an instrument to measure something that is beyond the physical.  

Again your statement of absence of attributes is an assumption that God really isn't there.  I get your case, but you're possibly inadvertently making a statement that would require reference.  

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

you're whole score method to try and make theists look ignorant..

What exactly are you experts on?

Reading stories, butchering the english language, and navel gazing?

Of course you look completely ignorant.

assumptions again right?  How have we butchered the English language?  If anything, theists from my experience are the most analytical of the English language and are more careful about grammatical errors than non-believers.  I mean theists here, not joe schmoe church goer in Alabama.  

redneF wrote:

1- I don't have a 'counter belief', or 'counter dogma' to you. Why would I? Why would one be necessary? I don't care about the origins of the universe, nor the origins of life.

2- My posts were my sincere thoughts.

Your posts came across to me as if you knew you had to be right and i had to be wrong and that you needed to prove that to me and to everyone else.  i see now that's not the case and I'm sorry for misunderstanding that.  Though you have to admit your posts do come across as such.  It's the only reason I came down on you about it.  As I've said, I accept logical rational reasoning.  Regardless i will analyze every bit of what you give me and if you case holds water, i investigate it further and if ultimately I find your case to be acceptable through all avenues, i would change my understanding accordingly.  I otherwise will tear it apart and expose it for nothing more than naked assertion and I mean no offense to anyone by it, but it's how I came to believe as I do today. 

Again, i'm on here only to challenge what I think I know to be true.. in other words, if you have a reasonable logical case for why I should not accept what I believe to be true, then please present it to me.  I can accept that you have no reason to believe and that's fine with me.  If you don't care to find out or discuss it, I don't care either.  i'm not here to prove you wrong, i'm here to challenge belief, mine and anyone elses who wishes to discuss with me why they don't believe or do believe.  

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:redneF

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

I simply stated that people accept certain ideas as truth without sufficient evidence to prove such.. you only confirmed that statement by furthering it and stating an assumption that generally those 'accepted truths' are not real.  

redneF wrote:

...and there's a reason why they're called apologists.  they must apologize for not having a better reasoning for believing.

Well most theologians write their apologies of necessity.  They also write polemics. But the apologies are based upon polemics laid out against various beliefs. Again the history of Christianity shows it as a slow evolutionary process. Most of it not grounded in historical or factual meaning. The only value of it left is as literature, fable, myths showing symbolic structure of human belief. It's negative effect is the evil it has caused generations and what we face from it today.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I simply stated that

Quote:
I simply stated that people accept certain ideas as truth without sufficient evidence to prove such.

So? Do you accept others claims as true when they don't give you evidence for such?

And wouldn't it be nice if we had some sort of way to test a claim? Oh wait, there is an ap for that.

Maybe if more humans wouldn't accept certian ideas without sufficient evidence we wouldn't have tons of people selling bullshit all over the world, would we?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Jesus was an

TGBaker wrote:

instead of the gist of the story changing, you seem to focus on interpretation.  I see your case between the OT and the NT.  That again isn't changing the gist of the NT stories, only implying that it's changing the intentions of the OT stories.  The OT, NT cooperation and interpretation are a completely different topics than the gist of the stories being changed.  

It is my understanding that the OT was quoted in many cases throughout the NT to further support the idea that the NT goes along with the OT and does not replace it.  It was imparative to assure that in the early church especially with the notion that Jesus was a blasphemer.  

It is known and understood that the quotes from the OT were not all prophesy that was intended to be applied to the NT, but the idea was that the intention was the same.  As you quoted from Malachi, both instances OT and NT the intention of the messenger was the same.  They use the same quote so that the people would understand what Jesus was intending when he spoke of a messenger.  Was Malachi a prophesy because it was used in the NT, likely not, but that's not why it was used.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:NO moron, the

Brian37 wrote:

Sure, anyone can pull a line out of context and it can make perfect sense as a stand alone line.  That doesn't mean it applies to the context it was taken out of and in most cases it doesn't.  This mindset is exactly how "religion' took off.  They take a line out of context, say this is the truth!  When confronted they ask... well doesn't it make sense to you as said?  ..

well yea but the context says...

pish pawsh... context means nothing... this statement is saying this so this is the truth!   

and thus started dispensationalists, Jehovah's Witnesses, and denominations.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Cap why are

jcgadfly wrote:

Not at all... not once did I say you wouldn't understand it.  or if I did, quote me and reference the post.

this discussion has gone from, pick a focus so we can discuss it, to you don't have evidence, so you're God doesn't exist and you're delusional.  Completely ignoring the initiation to focus on a topic and discuss it.

Due to the fact that whole book volumes have been dedicated to interpreting scripture or discussing metaphysics through.. you name the avenue, I figured instead of shooting in the dark we'd save everyone a lot of time and redundancy if the challenger would pick the focus and go from there.  when the focus is lost and you feel that I have steered us away, it's the challengers job then to bring me back to the point that I aledgedly ignored so I can face the music.  This is what I attempt to do with you and others, but you're falling in the way of the non-thinking community and I know you can think, so what gives? i had once placed you among the more logical, rational thinkers on this site... you're falling from that category fast.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap, you are

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, you are getting your ass handed to you over and over and you cant do the simplest thing to convince us.

You need to stop playing word games with us and DO what YOU asked us would convince us.

are you kidding me?  do I need to go through this forum and reference every post you have had your ass handed to you with strawman claims and poor excuses for disbelief?  I have tried to work with you on your case study challenge.  guess what, you got scared.  I have gone through the scenario and exactly what i was expecting of you, which has nothing to do with doing the study itself, but beating out the details of how the study should be implemented and you very efficiently ignored it... you know, in the way you've tried to accuse me of doing.  

Brian37 wrote:

You know you cant do that so you have to make shit up to protect your own ego.

I can't?  or you can't.  I have met your challenge and stopped when you did... which was pretty immediate.  Again, you can't tell me to go do a case study then never talk about it again unless I've done it, every case study goes through a rigorous process of analyzation and reformation before the final product is ready to be implemented to start with.    You seem to be afraid of that process... so are you telling me you can't do it?  I'm thinking you're asking me to do something you have no clue about how to handle.  Even if did give you results to a case study, would you be able to analyze them?? I mean for any case study, not just for metaphysics.  My thought is you couldn't.  

Brian37 wrote:

Give it up.

give what up?  you already did that for me

Brian37 wrote:

We have telescopes, and we know what DNA is. We don't need fictional non-material beings to explain life. Not yours, not any.

who ever said we did?  needed or not doesn't decide its existence.  ipods aren't needed to get by in life... by your logic, they don't exist.  Something tells me there's a flaw in your logic... can't quite pinpoint what that flaw might be... hmm.....

Cars have a lot of parts, but do you need to understand how to put it together in order to drive it?  no, you just need to understand the mechanics of what does what.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:So? Do you

Brian37 wrote:

So? Do you accept others claims as true when they don't give you evidence for such?

no, but if they offer me evidence, but need more information about what I'm asking in order to present it according to what i might be looking for, I'd be willing to work with them and discuss the process.  to run away would only indicate that i'm afraid of what i might find out.

Brian37 wrote:

And wouldn't it be nice if we had some sort of way to test a claim? Oh wait, there is an ap for that.

You might want to study up on that.  You're downloading aps you seem to have no clue on how to run.

Brian37 wrote:

Maybe if more humans wouldn't accept certian ideas without sufficient evidence we wouldn't have tons of people selling bullshit all over the world, would we?

very possibly... too bad it doesn't work that way.  There also wouldn't be a religious debate on the existence of God because both sides would accept that neither side has "sufficient evidence" to prove their point and would agree that either idea is possible due to lack of evidences to suggest otherwise.  any discussion of the like then would be more of considering approaches that go outside each sides comfort zone and neither would back down because both would honestly want to find the truth about the topic and have no ego to prove their idea.  I have nothing to fear if I find out that God is not real.  I have a lot to fear if God is real.  

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:I simply

caposkia wrote:

I think you keep missing the salient point.

Belief/Disbelief, does not=reality

Your belief, or disbelief is no better than 50/50. And so is mine.

I don't have to provide any counter evidence of a Christian god, and I'm still equally probable of being 'correct', as ANY Christian. Even Jesus Christ himself, if he were real.

caposkia wrote:
redneF wrote:

You just keep droning on and on, in the same circular argument.

It's ignorant, and obnoxious to do so, and an intellectually dishonest means to try and project that one can supercede the 50/50 odds of being completely incorrect, in any/all their assumptions.

The technical elaboration of this is Boole's Inequality Theorum.

So, it's patently false, and dishonest to claim that a 50/50 chance of being 'correct', is knowing the 'truth'.

You might fool yourself, or your friends, but you cannot escape the 50/50 odds.

caposkia wrote:
Ah, so you can think logically.  I was thinking you weren't able to.  

I don't even know where you could muster the balls to make such a weak attempt to undermine me. Save your posturing for when you're in a crowd of your ignorant friends.

You're not even close to being in my league, professionally, or personally.

caposkia wrote:
This my friends is exactly what i would accept as a reasonable, logical conclusion for disbelief.  

No one needs a justification, for a position, and they will always have exactly the same odds as you, in lieu of anything concrete.

It doesn't matter how you feel about that reality.

If you were to simply say, 'I believe that it's possible that there exists a god', there would be nothing to debate about. The odds are 50/50.

The problem begins, when you (or any one else) extend past that simple claim.

When you begin nakedly 'attributing' things to a god, then you are making an 'extraordinary' leap. Without 'extraordinary' proof, you are just kidding yourself.

That's fine.

The problem is when you attempt to 'lecture' others, about what is 'real'.

caposkia wrote:
  ...you are however stating that they are a work of fiction.. which would require appropriate referencing for reasoning. 

They are notes, written by people.

Anecdotes.

There's no logical reason to not be skeptical of anecdotes.

caposkia wrote:
 Just for the record, I'm on here to "challenge my own understanding"...

Ok, you just have lower standards than I do.

caposkia wrote:
IOW, I don't care what others think of my belief as long as they rationally challenge it.  When they don't, I sit here and tear their case apart... it's how i came to be a believer.

Well, you cannot tear my case apart.

It's the most logical to be skeptical, than any other position.

caposkia wrote:

Sure, but whether it's a story or not is not in question here, it's whether the story is truth or not.  

You have gone into a precarious position, if you're not skeptical, of anecdotal claims.

caposkia wrote:

... many Christians would say it's a manual for life. 

What does that mean?

They need to find something that resonates with their feelings, and remind themselves of their feelings?

caposkia wrote:
you seem to think you know, so you'd waste your time for the same reason i'd "waste" mine..

No.

You're don't understand my motivations.

Debating you personally, is not significant to me. You are insignificant to me.

I post for posterity.

For people who are confused, and yearn to resolve their internal conflicts about life, and reconcile that there isn't any 'reason' or 'universal' purpose for our universe, or for our lives, and that it's incredibly liberating to have that burden off your shoulders, and people can choose to live their individual lives with self dignity, and self esteem, and not be 'slaves' to a 'Lord'.

To rid themselves of an emotional dependence of 'external validation' for their mere random existence.

caposkia wrote:
redneF wrote:

I don't see the point.

If you're so impartial and could care less, then why are you so incessant on falsifying my belief?

I'm not. I don't care about you personally.

I'm just tearing your cases of flawed reasoning, and precarious positioning, from skepticism, apart.

caposkia wrote:
What difference?  If what i believe is true, a HuGE difference.  If you could confirm what I believe to not be true, that would also make a HUGE difference.

Relax, it's probably not true.

caposkia wrote:

by definition attributes cannot always be quantified and scaled.  

Buy a dictionary.

'Things' that are 'scalable', are what are often falsely 'attributed' to something apart from the thing itself.

caposkia wrote:

My case is simply it can't be done and therefore i would never ask anyone to try...

So, metaphysics can't be scaled, and can't be quantified?

Then why talk about it?

Why 'convert' from the strongest position, of being 'skeptical'?

caposkia wrote:

Again your statement of absence of attributes is an assumption that God really isn't there.  

Right.

Why jump off the ledge from the strongest position of skepticism?

If you think it will benefit you, then that's a 'emotional' decision to 'convert' from the 'logical' position, of remaining 'skeptical'.

caposkia wrote:

assumptions again right? 

Incorrect.

caposkia wrote:

How have we butchered the English language?  

"Atheism is false"

I've elaborated about this many times.

caposkia wrote:

If anything, theists from my experience are the most analytical of the English language and are more careful about grammatical errors than non-believers.  I mean theists here, not joe schmoe church goer in Alabama.  

Then you're ignorant.

The most 'scholarly' theologians, and apologetics actively on the 'crusade', use these equivocations as the foundations of their 'logica' and 'sound reasoning'

caposkia wrote:

Your posts came across to me as if you knew you had to be right and i had to be wrong and that you needed to prove that to me and to everyone else.  

I'm a professional, in the field of science and technology. I cannot afford to make stupid mistakes, and 'leap' from the strongest position, of 'skeptical'.

caposkia wrote:

Again, i'm on here only to challenge what I think I know to be true.. in other words, if you have a reasonable logical case for why I should not accept what I believe to be true, then please present it to me.  I can accept that you have no reason to believe and that's fine with me.  If you don't care to find out or discuss it, I don't care either.  i'm not here to prove you wrong, i'm here to challenge belief, mine and anyone elses who wishes to discuss with me why they don't believe or do believe.  

If you are sincere, then you need to set your bar higher. You have not scrutinized everything, thoroughly enough.

Being more scientific, would be a start.

I'd suggest you learn what a 'meta-analysis' is.

There is always deism, or pantheism, if the idea of a 'god', gives you some satisfaction.

It doesn't to me.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

instead of the gist of the story changing, you seem to focus on interpretation.  I see your case between the OT and the NT.  That again isn't changing the gist of the NT stories, only implying that it's changing the intentions of the OT stories.  The OT, NT cooperation and interpretation are a completely different topics than the gist of the stories being changed.  

It is my understanding that the OT was quoted in many cases throughout the NT to further support the idea that the NT goes along with the OT and does not replace it.  It was imparative to assure that in the early church especially with the notion that Jesus was a blasphemer.  

It is known and understood that the quotes from the OT were not all prophesy that was intended to be applied to the NT, but the idea was that the intention was the same.  As you quoted from Malachi, both instances OT and NT the intention of the messenger was the same.  They use the same quote so that the people would understand what Jesus was intending when he spoke of a messenger.  Was Malachi a prophesy because it was used in the NT, likely not, but that's not why it was used.  

I don't know what you mean by the gist of the story then. It has been created by the interpretation I outlined. Jesus was originally a follower of the the baptist. he was baptised for his sins. He started his own program when the baptist was arrested. The church tried to reinterprete this and make the bapptist a forerunner to jesus.  Actually the Old Testament was scripture for the Jewish Christians. Paul argues in 2 Corinthians 3 that the New Testament is not a written covenant but one of Spirit which replaces the OT. Again you miss the point. Jesus did not speak of a messenger. The church reworked the scripture into a different reading in the attempt to make John the baptist a forerunner for Jesus. None of the that is historical.  Malachi was a prophecy about Elijah coming again. The meaning of the text was tampered with by the church to make John as Elijah bringing the Messiah rather than Elijah as the messenger of the Covenant.  Did I fail to make that understandable in the previous quotes!!!!!! The gist of the story is fictional. Made up by the church. The history behind it is much simpler. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Again, i'm on here

Quote:
Again, i'm on here only to challenge what I think I know to be true..

No, what you are doing is trying to cling to what you think is true. That is not a challenge, to you or us.

If you had something credible, you could convince us in short order without spending 3 years trying to defend an ancient comic book. And you could convince, not just us, but people of all labels.

Claims are like assholes, everyone has one. Fortunately in the modern world humanity has a tool that transcends pet claims. I think once you accept what you have already admitted to, in that you cannot do it our way, you will realize you are wrong.

You cannot come up with anything comparable to a biology class where DNA and evolution is taught universally. You cannot come up with the same mechanical principles FUCKING CARS AND AIRPLANES are built with.

You have a pet claim and no fucking way to test it. You ARE in the same boat as Muslims and Jews and Scientologists and Hindus.

You could postulate a Pink Unicorn and use the same convoluted arguments you have made here and it adds up to the same amount of evidence for your claim.

NOTHING, NADDA, ZIP, ZILTCH, ZERO!

Don't waste your life defending a myth.

BardlishtheMagnifico
atheistScience Freak
BardlishtheMagnifico's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:poor excuses

caposkia wrote:

poor excuses for disbelief?

That right there sums up the fault in your entire stance. When dealing with a non-existant thing like metaphysics, there is no poor excuse for not believing.  One doen't need any excuse to not believe in something that cannot be detected.  It is the duty of the one proporting the idea to establish a credible reason to believe. 

As for the reason there is a backlash against faith in a silly old book, it is because there is a large contingent of people that would push its contents into the schools and governments of the world.  I do not need to assert the absurdity of taking "The Hobbit" literally because nobody is trying to teach it as science or codify it as law.  People are very much doing that with the Bible and thus many folks have an strong motivation to publicly laugh and ridicule the stupidity of their position. 

In the end, if there is no valid evidence to support the supernatural claims of the bible (which there is not), it is on par with The Hobbit, though the bible is far less interesting a read.

Wisdom lies not in thinking outside the box. Wisdom is the realization that there is no box. Truth and reality extend as far as the eye can see and infinitely further.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BardlishtheMagnifico

BardlishtheMagnifico wrote:

caposkia wrote:

poor excuses for disbelief?

That right there sums up the fault in your entire stance. When dealing with a non-existant thing like metaphysics, there is no poor excuse for not believing.  One doen't need any excuse to not believe in something that cannot be detected.  It is the duty of the one proporting the idea to establish a credible reason to believe. 

As for the reason there is a backlash against faith in a silly old book, it is because there is a large contingent of people that would push its contents into the schools and governments of the world.  I do not need to assert the absurdity of taking "The Hobbit" literally because nobody is trying to teach it as science or codify it as law.  People are very much doing that with the Bible and thus many folks have an strong motivation to publicly laugh and ridicule the stupidity of their position. 

In the end, if there is no valid evidence to support the supernatural claims of the bible (which there is not), it is on par with The Hobbit, though the bible is far less interesting a read.

There is more evidence of Superman and Harry Potter than their is of ANY GOD. If he would stop obtusely cling to his pet claim, he would see that Superman and Harry Potter and all claims of the super natural require suspending reason and skepticism to buy into. At least with Superman and Harry Potter, we only "suspend" our skepticism for entertainment purposes  because we KNOW going into it that it is merely a story.

He simply hasn't gotten to the point we have in knowing that there is no difference other than one is known to be fiction and the other is fiction falsely believed to be fact.

He has no way of defending a brainless brain with no-material, much less one that is our puppet master capable of caring about us.

He has merely fallen for "it feels right".

His problem with us is that we don't simply accept "it feels right", and gets frustrated when we kick the tires.

He thinks he is trying to help us when WE are the ones that in reality are helping him out of his delusion.

Wake up Cap, reality is much more filling than ancient myth.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:I think you

redneF wrote:

I think you keep missing the salient point.

Belief/Disbelief, does not=reality

Your belief, or disbelief is no better than 50/50. And so is mine.

I don't have to provide any counter evidence of a Christian god, and I'm still equally probable of being 'correct', as ANY Christian. Even Jesus Christ himself, if he were real.

ok, so it sounds like we're on the same page here.  I'm not missing the point... my point is that "belief' goes beyond a religious angle and into science, history, etc. 

redneF wrote:

You just keep droning on and on, in the same circular argument.

I'm only following the leads of the accusers.  If the same circular defense comes my way, i will reluctantly repeat myself... yet again... sometimes I ignore it, but usually not.  I should probably start ignoring redundancy more be it that i am very opposed to it.

redneF wrote:

It's ignorant, and obnoxious to do so, and an intellectually dishonest means to try and project that one can supercede the 50/50 odds of being completely incorrect, in any/all their assumptions.

Thank you... finally someone gets it... hear that everyone?

redneF wrote:

The technical elaboration of this is Boole's Inequality Theorum.

So, it's patently false, and dishonest to claim that a 50/50 chance of being 'correct', is knowing the 'truth'.

I never claimed that though... are you suggesting I did?

redneF wrote:

You might fool yourself, or your friends, but you cannot escape the 50/50 odds.

ok, moving on

redneF wrote:

I don't even know where you could muster the balls to make such a weak attempt to undermine me. Save your posturing for when you're in a crowd of your ignorant friends.

You're not even close to being in my league, professionally, or personally.

Undermine you?  You gave me a poor excuse for explaining why my defense for faith was bad when in fact the focus wasn't even on my defense for faith, but another smaller point.  Your rant on professional debates made me question your abilities is all... My apologies for offending you.  

BTW, how would you know what league, professionally or personally I am in?  are you not posturing in a crowd now?

redneF wrote:

No one needs a justification, for a position, and they will always have exactly the same odds as you, in lieu of anything concrete.

It doesn't matter how you feel about that reality.

exactly

redneF wrote:

If you were to simply say, 'I believe that it's possible that there exists a god', there would be nothing to debate about. The odds are 50/50.

The problem begins, when you (or any one else) extend past that simple claim.

I have not... instead of saying plainly that "I believe"... I have added "I have reason to believe" and have followed up with... "if you have logical reasoning to suggest I should believe otherwise, then please show me this reasoning"...  

redneF wrote:

When you begin nakedly 'attributing' things to a god, then you are making an 'extraordinary' leap. Without 'extraordinary' proof, you are just kidding yourself.

That's fine.

The problem is when you attempt to 'lecture' others, about what is 'real'.

Another reason why I questioned your abilities, you seem to make a lot of assumptions that are way off base about me.  Where are you getting these ideas from?  specific references to specific posts please so i can clarify my intentions.

redneF wrote:

They are notes, written by people.

everything in history is notes written by people... it's our only means of understanding our past.

redneF wrote:

There's no logical reason to not be skeptical of anecdotes.

or history in general

redneF wrote:

Ok, you just have lower standards than I do.

possibly, which then would leave me wide open to be shut down easily if in fact my understanding is mistaken.    I believe... just as you said would be a logical claim... and unless someone has a logical reasoning why I shouldn't I will continue to believe... but i will also continue to challenge this belief on my own to assure that what I think I know is really true.

redneF wrote:

Well, you cannot tear my case apart.

right... because you don't have one.  

redneF wrote:

It's the most logical to be skeptical, than any other position.

which is why I take that angle with anyone and everyone, even believers.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

... many Christians would say it's a manual for life. 

What does that mean?

They need to find something that resonates with their feelings, and remind themselves of their feelings?

no it gives good useful information for being successful in life... religious belief aside, one would have to admit it's got great relationship and lifestyle advice and boundaries. 

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:
you seem to think you know, so you'd waste your time for the same reason i'd "waste" mine..

No.

You're don't understand my motivations.

Debating you personally, is not significant to me. You are insignificant to me.

As are you to me... it's not a big deal.  I'm only here to clarify assumptions and challenge my own understanding.  Christians in general have a bad wrap due to assumptions you yourself have expressed among many others.  I want to clarify those assumptions so that people get that a Christian is supposed to have more of a state of mind that you seem to be portraying in this post..  with obviously the God perspective instead.

redneF wrote:

To rid themselves of an emotional dependence of 'external validation' for their mere random existence.

We would agree here as well.

redneF wrote:

I'm not. I don't care about you personally.

I'm just tearing your cases of flawed reasoning, and precarious positioning, from skepticism, apart.

what case exactly?  I haven't presented much since you've started and this forum isn't exactly the place to "tear me a part" due to the fact that I don't waste my time presenting my case with people who care less to hear it.  Those who do care to discuss it with me in general usually start a new forum... want to tear me a part?  That'd be the way to go.

redneF wrote:

Relax, it's probably not true.

I'm not concerned.. you asked, i answered.  no worries.

redneF wrote:

Buy a dictionary.

anyone can buy one... it takes initiative to use it.  Trust me, i checked before I posted just to make sure you wouldn't find any loopholes to make it sound like I was saying something I'm not. 

redneF wrote:

So, metaphysics can't be scaled, and can't be quantified?

Then why talk about it?

Why 'convert' from the strongest position, of being 'skeptical'?

well, we don't understand its measurements.  i never said it can't be.  I said we don't have the means to.  It'd be like me asking you to scale and quantify gravity... the only reference we have for gravity is Earth.   By the means that people are asking me to scale and quantify the metaphysical, we can't quantify and scale gravity.

redneF wrote:

Right.

Why jump off the ledge from the strongest position of skepticism?

skepticism isn't a strong position, it's a logical position for any topic that would need logical reasoning to be accepted.  A strong position would have empirical support.  

You seem to be concluding that I don't have a position of skepticism... why?  Because I believe in a God?  I am skeptical of your belief that there isn't a God and am skeptical of the religious point of view of God... So where do you stand in reference to me?... as far as I can see, just on the other side of the line.

redneF wrote:

If you think it will benefit you, then that's a 'emotional' decision to 'convert' from the 'logical' position, of remaining 'skeptical'.

what would benefit me?  Believing?  If it's true, it's a benefit to understand it just as anything else would be no?  Does it have to be tied into emotional decisions?

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:

How have we butchered the English language?  

"Atheism is false"

I've elaborated about this many times.

where have i said that?  You denied making assumptions, I'm empirically concluding you are making assumptions.

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:

If anything, theists from my experience are the most analytical of the English language and are more careful about grammatical errors than non-believers.  I mean theists here, not joe schmoe church goer in Alabama.  

Then you're ignorant.

The most 'scholarly' theologians, and apologetics actively on the 'crusade', use these equivocations as the foundations of their 'logica' and 'sound reasoning'

you're categorizing apologists and theologians in the same folder.  That would make you ignorant

One is a person who is versed in theology (generally speaking) {the theologist} and the other is one who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief (the apologist).  One is defending the faith, the other is strictly referencing what is studied from what should be an unbias point of view.  A good theologist would not take sides as far as any particular religion.  An apologist would defend a particular belief in many cases using research, but putting a lot of bias in their conclusion.

It is true many theologists are of a particular belief due to their studies, but in discussion their belief would be left out of it unless that is what is in question.  

redneF wrote:

I'm a professional, in the field of science and technology. I cannot afford to make stupid mistakes, and 'leap' from the strongest position, of 'skeptical'.

nice, a scientist!  i respect you for your work and your thought process.

redneF wrote:

If you are sincere, then you need to set your bar higher. You have not scrutinized everything, thoroughly enough.

you keep claiming to be skeptical, but also keep hinting at a conclusion on your part... which would make you no longer skeptical.  to suggest I have not scrutinized everything thoroughly enough is to suggest my understanding is wrong and yours is right and not that you're skeptical.  

i am constantly scrutinizing and analyzing information that comes my way.  If you have more that you feel I have missed or should look at more closely, i will take it all into consideration.  Thank you.

redneF wrote:

Being more scientific, would be a start.

it's my favorite topic

redneF wrote:

I'd suggest you learn what a 'meta-analysis' is.

I'm familiar with it... what do you suggest I learn.. what it is or how to implement it?

technically, meta-analysis is real world examples of a higher power at work... most people don't seem to accept that methodology though.  The biggest opposition to those analysis are that there may be another possible means to come to the same result... then again, no case study has been implemented to support that conclusion.  Only studies after results which is stemmed in bias conclusion from what I can tell. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:I don't know

TGBaker wrote:

I don't know what you mean by the gist of the story then. It has been created by the interpretation I outlined. Jesus was originally a follower of the the baptist. he was baptised for his sins. He started his own program when the baptist was arrested. The church tried to reinterprete this and make the bapptist a forerunner to jesus.  Actually the Old Testament was scripture for the Jewish Christians. Paul argues in 2 Corinthians 3 that the New Testament is not a written covenant but one of Spirit which replaces the OT. Again you miss the point. Jesus did not speak of a messenger. The church reworked the scripture into a different reading in the attempt to make John the baptist a forerunner for Jesus. None of the that is historical.  Malachi was a prophecy about Elijah coming again. The meaning of the text was tampered with by the church to make John as Elijah bringing the Messiah rather than Elijah as the messenger of the Covenant.  Did I fail to make that understandable in the previous quotes!!!!!! The gist of the story is fictional. Made up by the church. The history behind it is much simpler. 

despite interpretation, the gist of the story will never change.  You accuse the church of changing the stories when in fact they were written not by the church, but by the writers of the scriptures... unless you're suggesting that the quote was added in later, but most Bibles would notate that... there is no notation that I can see of that suggests it was not there in earlier manuscripts.  Granted all are a translation of the original and we don't have access to those originals, but it is also understood that they were carefully translated and history suggests they were translated by non-bias monks that generally were the ones who scribed and translated all texts and not just those of Christianity or other particular religions.  

You see it as a reworking, Christians see it as a correlation.  How is that missed by scholars?  

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

despite interpretation, the gist of the story will never change.  You accuse the church of changing the stories when in fact they were written not by the church, but by the writers of the scriptures... unless you're suggesting that the quote was added in later, but most Bibles would notate that... there is no notation that I can see of that suggests it was not there in earlier manuscripts.  Granted all are a translation of the original and we don't have access to those originals, but it is also understood that they were carefully translated and history suggests they were translated by non-bias monks that generally were the ones who scribed and translated all texts and not just those of Christianity or other particular religions.  

You see it as a reworking, Christians see it as a correlation.  How is that missed by scholars?  

I guess you don't understand what I am saying. The gist of the story as you understand it was developed ;long after Jesus was dead.  You need to look a t the textual critical apparati to determine which verse was later addded and there are many.  There were verses that dropped out but that is not the point of what I keep saying. The whole story is simply a gradual creation.  We have access to 96% of the originals as reconstructed through a comparative analysis of the text. That has nothing much to do with it. It is the originals themselves that are fabricated. Interpolations and changes are abundantly shown in the 3000 major manuscripts and miniscules of the NT.  So what is it that you are saying is the gist that never changes?????  The meaning of the texts are tampered with simply compare the gospels.  Actually there are several changes by scribes that show theological  bias I can think of off the top of my head.  And I've noted them not to be redundant. The reworking is pointed out by most major scholars.  Obviously not by inerrantists or fundies. But as I've qouted before evangelicals do point them out but then they are persecuted and kicked out of their groups.  I mentioned Gundry for one.  There is no correlation apart from apologists that start with the presupposition that the scripture is inspired or inerrant, infallible. That is hardly an unbiased historical approach. It also is not a matter of translation the text remained in Greek and is transcribed not translated. So I would address what I am saying directly about the texts rather than your view of the text... what Mark says, what malachi says etc.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:No, what you

Brian37 wrote:

No, what you are doing is trying to cling to what you think is true. That is not a challenge, to you or us.

why are you determined to put words in my mouth?  is it because I don't agree with you?  i have made my intentions clear.  If from here on out I represent myself as "clinging to what i think is true" when obvious logical opposing evidence is presented, let me know.

Brian37 wrote:

If you had something credible, you could convince us in short order without spending 3 years trying to defend an ancient comic book. And you could convince, not just us, but people of all labels.

I haven't spent 3 years trying to defend anything.  i have spent 3 years messing around with you.  i have spent more of my time and concentration elsewhere on other forums and with other people here that seem to be more serious about what they're talking about.  It also has been more of a discussion, not a defense, if you're seeing it as a defense, then that should tell you something... maybe that your claims aren't as sound as you think.

it's also not as cut and dry as you'd like it to be... Atheists on here have been telling me the same thing thinking I take the same state of mind as you do.  So it's not just me thinking this.

Brian37 wrote:

Claims are like assholes, everyone has one. Fortunately in the modern world humanity has a tool that transcends pet claims. I think once you accept what you have already admitted to, in that you cannot do it our way, you will realize you are wrong.

so... because a test cannot logically and rationally be done through the means you ask for.. .this being getting and capturing metaphysical dna strands and looking at them under a microscope in a physical manner, then it just possibly can't be real... therefore, Gravity is only in your head and if you just let go of that notion, you can fly.

Brian37 wrote:

You cannot come up with anything comparable to a biology class where DNA and evolution is taught universally. You cannot come up with the same mechanical principles FUCKING CARS AND AIRPLANES are built with.

that's because they're all based on physical means.  

As far as comparable means... what to capture a piece of something and look at it using tools that are designed to look at biological things?  of course not...  want a doctor to give you an enema using a Jersey Barrier?  Do you think it would work or do you think there might be some logical problems with that approach?

Brian37 wrote:

You have a pet claim and no fucking way to test it. You ARE in the same boat as Muslims and Jews and Scientologists and Hindus.

well, meta-analysis was brought up... though you're afraid of that angle it seems.

Brian37 wrote:

You could postulate a Pink Unicorn and use the same convoluted arguments you have made here and it adds up to the same amount of evidence for your claim.

Think about it Brian, using your logic, I can make wind a myth.  What a tornado knocked your house down?  It's all in your head, a seismograph near your house recorded tremors which would cause the same damage to a house like yours if it had a weak foundation... which your house likely had.   What you saw a funnel cloud?  I wasn't there, I didn't see it.. no one has a recording of it... sure your neighbors agree, but you could collaborate such a mythical story.  The evidence still stands that it was a combination of a weak foundation during a moderate tremor.  

well... yea the house is pretty scattered... but due to the time elapsed you could have worked with your neighbors to scatter the rubble in such a way... evidence still stands.

The only difference today is we can look at satelite history of clouds and look for a hook... we can also seek out storm chasers who happened to be in the area, likely they had a video of it somewhere... back then they didn't have such means and today we don't have the same means to record an act of God... It's like taking a childs word on something...  

He flipped me the middle finger!  

No i didn't!  

yes you did!

No I didn't...

Yes you did.

Prove it!

All we can see is the results... the accuser could be just trying to get that kid in trouble, or it actually happened and the results are evident due to the frustration of the accuser... as an outsider who never saw the actual event, either could be the case.    If you're the parent of the accuser, as far as your concerned it happened and that kid needs to be punished... if you're the parent of the accused, he obviously didn't do it and therefore the accuser should be punished.

actually, I'm giving you too much credit... the evidence part should be taken out.. because you don't even use that as a defense.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BardlishtheMagnifico

exactly what i'm getting at.  You're so sure metaphysics doesn't exist and yet a category for it has been made scientifically.  no means to measure it and something that cannot be detected are 2 different angles.  

Credible reasoning is exactly what i've been asking for.  you have credible reasoning to say factually that "God is not real" therefore I ask for that credible reasoning.  If you say "i have no reason to believe' that's different.

it's a he said she said scenario.  Just as much as you have reason not to believe, Christians have reason to believe...  Both sides can claim the same about the position of the other and the well researched individuals can all present a very good case for either side.  It's a level playing field

valid evidence as in what?  What would YOU need as far as valid evidence?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:I guess you

TGBaker wrote:

I guess you don't understand what I am saying. The gist of the story as you understand it was developed ;long after Jesus was dead. 

So you assume... unless you have documented examples of what it looked like before.  i haven't seen those documents yet.

TGBaker wrote:

You need to look a t the textual critical apparati to determine which verse was later addded and there are many. 

is there a study volume or author that details this?

TGBaker wrote:

There were verses that dropped out but that is not the point of what I keep saying. The whole story is simply a gradual creation.  We have access to 96% of the originals as reconstructed through a comparative analysis of the text.

well, they're still copies, but as original as we can get

TGBaker wrote:

That has nothing much to do with it. It is the originals themselves that are fabricated. Interpolations and changes are abundantly shown in the 3000 major manuscripts and miniscules of the NT.  So what is it that you are saying is the gist that never changes?????  The meaning of the texts are tampered with simply compare the gospels.  Actually there are several changes by scribes that show theological  bias I can think of off the top of my head.  And I've noted them not to be redundant. The reworking is pointed out by most major scholars.  Obviously not by inerrantists or fundies. But as I've qouted before evangelicals do point them out but then they are persecuted and kicked out of their groups.  I mentioned Gundry for one.  There is no correlation apart from apologists that start with the presupposition that the scripture is inspired or inerrant, infallible. That is hardly an unbiased historical approach. It also is not a matter of translation the text remained in Greek and is transcribed not translated. So I would address what I am saying directly about the texts rather than your view of the text... what Mark says, what malachi says etc.

it's odd to me that they were changed so dramatically over a short period of time only to be carefully preserved for the rest of the time beyond... what changed as far as concern for preservation?  Was it formation of the church and a need for congruency?

This is important information.  Where can I find a detailed analysis of the study of these reworkings?  

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

I guess you don't understand what I am saying. The gist of the story as you understand it was developed ;long after Jesus was dead. 

So you assume... unless you have documented examples of what it looked like before.  i haven't seen those documents yet.

TGBaker wrote:

You need to look a t the textual critical apparati to determine which verse was later addded and there are many. 

TGBaker wrote:

There were verses that dropped out but that is not the point of what I keep saying. The whole story is simply a gradual creation.  We have access to 96% of the originals as reconstructed through a comparative analysis of the text.

TGBaker wrote:

That has nothing much to do with it. It is the originals themselves that are fabricated. Interpolations and changes are abundantly shown in the 3000 major manuscripts and miniscules of the NT.  So what is it that you are saying is the gist that never changes?????  The meaning of the texts are tampered with simply compare the gospels.  Actually there are several changes by scribes that show theological  bias I can think of off the top of my head.  And I've noted them not to be redundant. The reworking is pointed out by most major scholars.  Obviously not by inerrantists or fundies. But as I've qouted before evangelicals do point them out but then they are persecuted and kicked out of their groups.  I mentioned Gundry for one.  There is no correlation apart from apologists that start with the presupposition that the scripture is inspired or inerrant, infallible. That is hardly an unbiased historical approach. It also is not a matter of translation the text remained in Greek and is transcribed not translated. So I would address what I am saying directly about the texts rather than your view of the text... what Mark says, what malachi says etc.

it's odd to me that they were changed so dramatically over a short period of time only to be carefully preserved for the rest of the time beyond... what changed as far as concern for preservation?  Was it formation of the church and a need for congruency?

This is important information.  Where can I find a detailed analysis of the study of these reworkings?  

They were intentionally changed very quickly. Scholars for example notice 3 stages in the Gospel of John. Just go to wiki for "the Synoptic problem".  Then read some of the books in the bibliography or we can discuss it here as well. B.F. Streeter's Four Gospels. Commentaries on the greek Testament.  R.E. Brown, J.A. Fitxmyer. Those are believing scholars who nontheless edmit the lack of historicity in the formation of the gospels.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:I have not...

caposkia wrote:

I have not... instead of saying plainly that "I believe"... I have added "I have reason to believe"

Are your reasons to believe, more logical than my reluctance to accept god 'beliefs', as being viable?

I don't think they are at all.

Would you like to debate me in a 1 on 1 debate?

Just you and me?

I'm challenging you.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia

caposkia wrote:

exactly what i'm getting at.  You're so sure metaphysics doesn't exist and yet a category for it has been made scientifically.  no means to measure it and something that cannot be detected are 2 different angles.  

Credible reasoning is exactly what i've been asking for.  you have credible reasoning to say factually that "God is not real" therefore I ask for that credible reasoning.  If you say "i have no reason to believe' that's different.

it's a he said she said scenario.  Just as much as you have reason not to believe, Christians have reason to believe...  Both sides can claim the same about the position of the other and the well researched individuals can all present a very good case for either side.  It's a level playing field

When did metaphysics stop being a philosophical stance and become a scientific category? I mean, if it is a scientific category it means that they have been able to use science to make some evaluations of it. Yet you also say that such evaluation can't be done because science does not have the tools to make those evaluations.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:caposkia

jcgadfly wrote:

caposkia wrote:

When did metaphysics stop being a philosophical stance and become a scientific category? I mean, if it is a scientific category it means that they have been able to use science to make some evaluations of it. Yet you also say that such evaluation can't be done because science does not have the tools to make those evaluations.

To quote wiki:   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics

In some cases, subjects of metaphysical scholarship have been found to be entirely physical and natural, thus making them part of science proper (cf. the theory of Relativity).

Quantum physics

Proponents of the Copenhagen Interpretation of quantum mechanics believe that Determinism was proven incorrect with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that certain corresponding physical quantities (such as position and momentum, energy and time, eigenstates of spin in non-parallel directions) cannot be determined simultaneously to an arbitrarily small error. For example, the more precisely a particle's position is measured, the less precisely one can know its momentum from the same measurement. If the momentum is more precisely measured to account for this, the uncertainty in the position will rise. This counter-intuitive result is a consequence of the wave-like behavior of subatomic particles. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is thus a statement providing an inverse correlation between the uncertainties of certain corresponding measurements.

This line of reasoning has led physicists to develop Quantum field theory and use the "wave function" to describe physical systems. While differential equations govern the evolution of the wave function, the wave function itself only specifies the probability of an event to be measured. Thus, while the evolution of the wave function is deterministic, the history of a particle is not. The widely held view amongst physicists regards the apparent determinism of Newtonian dynamics, for example, as the limiting behavior of inherently probabilistic phenomena. Classical physics is then considered a convenient and sufficiently accurate description of nature only at macroscopic scales. A large enough scale is usually thought of as much larger than the Compton wavelength of the object considered.

Alternative interpretations of quantum theory, such as de Broglie–Bohm theory and the many-worlds interpretation, provide a deterministic theoretical framework that is consistent with empirical observation of quantum mechanical phenomena. Notable physicists, such as Albert Einstein and Erwin Schrödinger, never believed that Quantum Mechanics was a fundamental theory. Einstein is famous for believing that while Quantum Mechanics provided good experimental predictions, it should ultimately be replaced with a deterministic theory that could account for the seemingly probabilistic nature of the atomic regime. In a letter to Max Born, Einstein wrote, "Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the 'old one'. I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice."

• Letter to Max Born (4 December 1926); The Born-Einstein Letters (translated by Irene Born) (Walker and Company, New York, 1971) ISBN 0-8027-0326-7. This quote is commonly paraphrased "God does not play dice" or "God does not play dice with the universe", and other slight variants.

Though there remains skepticism, there is a scientific consensus that the laws of Quantum Mechanics correctly describe the universe up to current experimental bounds, and that it is necessary for the very consistency of the subject that it be probabilistic in nature (see Bell's Theorem).

There aer many philosophical presuppositions in physics that raise their heads from time to time. 

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:redneF

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Then you're ignorant.

you're categorizing apologists and theologians in the same folder.  That would make you ignorant

If what you claim, is correct.

You would be correct if you can find me many 'scholarly' theologians or apolgetics on the 'crusade' who don't claim that they know the 'truth', and that atheism is 'false'.

Can you prove that you are correct?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:jcgadfly

TGBaker wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

caposkia wrote:

To quote wiki:   

In some cases, subjects of metaphysical scholarship have been found to be entirely physical and natural, thus making them part of science proper (cf. the theory of Relativity).

Quantum physics

Proponents of the Copenhagen Interpretation of quantum mechanics believe that Determinism was proven incorrect with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which states that certain corresponding physical quantities (such as position and momentum, energy and time, eigenstates of spin in non-parallel directions) cannot be determined simultaneously to an arbitrarily small error. For example, the more precisely a particle's position is measured, the less precisely one can know its momentum from the same measurement. If the momentum is more precisely measured to account for this, the uncertainty in the position will rise. This counter-intuitive result is a consequence of the wave-like behavior of subatomic particles. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is thus a statement providing an inverse correlation between the uncertainties of certain corresponding measurements.

This line of reasoning has led physicists to develop Quantum field theory and use the "wave function" to describe physical systems. While differential equations govern the evolution of the wave function, the wave function itself only specifies the probability of an event to be measured. Thus, while the evolution of the wave function is deterministic, the history of a particle is not. The widely held view amongst physicists regards the apparent determinism of Newtonian dynamics, for example, as the limiting behavior of inherently probabilistic phenomena. Classical physics is then considered a convenient and sufficiently accurate description of nature only at macroscopic scales. A large enough scale is usually thought of as much larger than the Compton wavelength of the object considered.

Alternative interpretations of quantum theory, such as de Broglie–Bohm theory and the many-worlds interpretation, provide a deterministic theoretical framework that is consistent with empirical observation of quantum mechanical phenomena. Notable physicists, such as Albert Einstein and Erwin Schrödinger, never believed that Quantum Mechanics was a fundamental theory. Einstein is famous for believing that while Quantum Mechanics provided good experimental predictions, it should ultimately be replaced with a deterministic theory that could account for the seemingly probabilistic nature of the atomic regime. In a letter to Max Born, Einstein wrote, "Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the 'old one'. I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice."

• Letter to Max Born (4 December 1926); The Born-Einstein Letters (translated by Irene Born) (Walker and Company, New York, 1971) ISBN 0-8027-0326-7. This quote is commonly paraphrased "God does not play dice" or "God does not play dice with the universe", and other slight variants.

Though there remains skepticism, there is a scientific consensus that the laws of Quantum Mechanics correctly describe the universe up to current experimental bounds, and that it is necessary for the very consistency of the subject that it be probabilistic in nature (see Bell's Theorem).

There aer many philosophical presuppositions in physics that raise their heads from time to time. 

If they have natural and physical explanations doesn't that pull them out of the metaphysical category?

— George Carlin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:TGBaker

jcgadfly wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

caposkia wrote:

To quote wiki:   

Quantum physics

If they have natural and physical explanations doesn't that pull them out of the metaphysical category?

I think the dilemma is they are suggesting immaterial explanations in some cases (consciousness collapsing wave functions things like that). Questions of determinism vs. freewill sneaks a philosophical category back in as the full wiki text mentions on the website.  Hell, Niels Bohr and Wolfgang Pauli collaborated with Carl Jung on a metaphysical theory called Synchronicity.  Einstein even had a few discussions with Jung from what I read.  To speak of prior the big bang is to talk of something that could be before the physical.... maybe maybe not!!! But yea if it becomes a part of the natural order and physical then the once metaphysical becomes hard science. SCience after all pealed off philosophy. All science was once philosophy.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Further to consider re: scripture

Historical researchers in this field generally see jesus as a wondering Cynic teacher spouting out words of wisdom and folk philosophy. It does seem to be the core of what developed into Christianity. Jesus was a human who came from Galilee. Galilee was the only area in Palestine that was forcefully converted to Judaism.  Even so only 50% of the population was Jewish. Rabbi Hannina ben Dosa and Honi the Circle Drawer were very similar characters to Jesus. ben Dosa called god Abba like Jesus ( meaning Daddy instead of a reverential , father).  He spoke openly with women as Jesus did. The reason that historians posit these as historical is because they are contrary to the believing Jewish or Christian movement. You can see evidence that the church tried to cover up the fact that Jesus was baptized as others to get rid of sin. Historical Jesus research is a discipline to explain the sociological development of what became Christianity ... what historical kernel was the catalyst for all the mythic construction.  It is commonly understood that the bible is mythic in seminaries and theological  schools like Princeton, Yale, Stanford, Emory, Vanderbuilt. The bridge from school to church is teach it as truth and avoid the lack of factual basis. So statements are demythologized and taken into a philosophical meaning rather than a grounded factual historical meaning. Virgin birth does not really mean a women had a child and was a virgin. It becomes a story to honor jesus as both god and man.  So you have pure historical work. Then the theologians that try to make it still meaningful and then the preachers to present it as literal.  When I was in seminary my mentor (Hendrikus Boers)  who wrote Who Was Jesus? was a Marxist atheist from South Africa. He would point to people like Jurgen Moltmann (theologian) as a fraud that needed to be exposed. Then there is the whole moderate movement that tries to salvage some christianity out of the historical/critical conclusions. Crossan was on the Jesus Seminar team. He knows Jesus was simply a person who got into trouble and was removed from being an irritation.  The people who cared about where Jesus was buried did not know where he was buried. The people who did know where he was buried ( communal grave) did not care.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

why are you determined to put words in my mouth?  is it because I don't agree with you?  i have made my intentions clear.  If from here on out I represent myself as "clinging to what i think is true" when obvious logical opposing evidence is presented, let me know.

Brian37 wrote:

I haven't spent 3 years trying to defend anything.  i have spent 3 years messing around with you.  i have spent more of my time and concentration elsewhere on other forums and with other people here that seem to be more serious about what they're talking about.  It also has been more of a discussion, not a defense, if you're seeing it as a defense, then that should tell you something... maybe that your claims aren't as sound as you think.

it's also not as cut and dry as you'd like it to be... Atheists on here have been telling me the same thing thinking I take the same state of mind as you do.  So it's not just me thinking this.

Brian37 wrote:

so... because a test cannot logically and rationally be done through the means you ask for.. .this being getting and capturing metaphysical dna strands and looking at them under a microscope in a physical manner, then it just possibly can't be real... therefore, Gravity is only in your head and if you just let go of that notion, you can fly.

Brian37 wrote:

that's because they're all based on physical means.  

As far as comparable means... what to capture a piece of something and look at it using tools that are designed to look at biological things?  of course not...  want a doctor to give you an enema using a Jersey Barrier?  Do you think it would work or do you think there might be some logical problems with that approach?

Brian37 wrote:

well, meta-analysis was brought up... though you're afraid of that angle it seems.

Brian37 wrote:

Think about it Brian, using your logic, I can make wind a myth.  What a tornado knocked your house down?  It's all in your head, a seismograph near your house recorded tremors which would cause the same damage to a house like yours if it had a weak foundation... which your house likely had.   What you saw a funnel cloud?  I wasn't there, I didn't see it.. no one has a recording of it... sure your neighbors agree, but you could collaborate such a mythical story.  The evidence still stands that it was a combination of a weak foundation during a moderate tremor.  

well... yea the house is pretty scattered... but due to the time elapsed you could have worked with your neighbors to scatter the rubble in such a way... evidence still stands.

The only difference today is we can look at satelite history of clouds and look for a hook... we can also seek out storm chasers who happened to be in the area, likely they had a video of it somewhere... back then they didn't have such means and today we don't have the same means to record an act of God... It's like taking a childs word on something...  

He flipped me the middle finger!  

No i didn't!  

yes you did!

No I didn't...

Yes you did.

Prove it!

All we can see is the results... the accuser could be just trying to get that kid in trouble, or it actually happened and the results are evident due to the frustration of the accuser... as an outsider who never saw the actual event, either could be the case.    If you're the parent of the accuser, as far as your concerned it happened and that kid needs to be punished... if you're the parent of the accused, he obviously didn't do it and therefore the accuser should be punished.

actually, I'm giving you too much credit... the evidence part should be taken out.. because you don't even use that as a defense.

You are out of your mind, If I claimed a tornado hit my house, and there was no outside record of it, then it would be all in my head. BUT, if a tornado hits my house and there is a record of it then it is not in my head.

You do not have that same option. You have a god concept in your head, but this god concept is not falsifiable or testable. Tornados exist and are not mere claims and have been verified and even VIDEO RECORDED. ALL god claims, including yours are mere claims which we have no lick of evidence for, unlike tornados.

Cut the crap.

Get your invisible friend to get his ass down here and let us examine him in person. I am quite sure that would be easy for someone who created all this. Funny how your alleged daddy likes hiding from everyone.  I am sure you will have as easy a time doing this as a Muslim or Hindu or Jew.

You know damned well you cant give us any evidence and are only clinging to your bullshit claims because you have an emotional attachment to them and are merely driven by your own ego.

Tornados are real, god/s are not. It is all in your head and you know it, you simply don't want to accept it.

We have telescopes that can look into deep space. We know what DNA is. None of that is rooted in myth or naked assertions. All you have is a popular myth you bought into. You are no different than any other human from ancient polytheism to modern new age bullshit.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia, it appears you

caposkia, it appears you consider yourself a formidable opponent to atheists.

I would like a 1 on 1 debate you.

Just me and you.

Do you accept?

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

There is a whole library of textual critical research in the documents of the NT including the abbreviated apparati in the margins of in any Greek NT like Nestle-Aland.  What changed was several competing interpretations of Jesus beginning right after his death. These manifest in the convergences of the gospels and the distinction of Paul's approach. I think I answered this question in a previous post.  You can look at the gospels themselves and see the intentional changes are not based upon a need for history but of theology.  They fabricate. The preservation of the texts really did not kick in strongly until a Gnostic name Marcion made the first canon of Christian writings. There was no formation of one church. There were competing churches of conflicting beliefs. Ultimately the catholic ( universal agreement ) formed about the fourth century.

Edited: Taken from the previous post to this question: 

They were intentionally changed very quickly. Scholars for example notice 3 stages in the Gospel of John. Just go to wiki for "the Synoptic problem".  Then read some of the books in the bibliography or we can discuss it here as well. B.F. Streeter's Four Gospels. Commentaries on the greek Testament.  R.E. Brown, J.A. Fitzmyer. Those are believing scholars who nontheless admit the lack of historicity in the formation of the gospels.

There are also pure historians like Crossan who has written extensively and sometimes definitively.  Look at R.E. Brown on the Gospel of John, Oscar Cllman, Rudolf Bultmann.  Check out the evangelical Vincent Taylor on Mark or C.E. B. Cranfield.  Look at Fitzmyer on Luje.

Go to wiki synoptic problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synoptic_Gospels

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Q_Document/The_Synoptic_Gospels

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm        about the canon

http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~kloppen/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cap, without discussing the

Cap, without discussing the god issue, let me explain how easy it is to believe false things.

When I was a kid, I went to a movie documentary about animals. I saw a baby deer being born. But because of the angle of the camera I only saw the event profile. I ended up thinking that the fawn was coming out of the deer's ass, and not her vagina. I proudly proclaimed my new found knowledge to the kids on the bus the next day and everyone laughed at me. I was in tears. BUT they were right.

Just because you are an adult and just because you are smart, does not make you right. ESPECIALLY IN OUR MODERN TIME. If anyone today wants to prove something the entire world has one venue to settle the truth of the matter, and that venue is scientific method.

If I had known physical biology at the time, I never would have made that patiently absurd claim.

Considering when your book was written and the fact that you still defend it, says one thing to me. You are acting no different than I did, not because you are right, but because someone challenged you and the fear of being wrong causes you to cling to your absurdity.

Gawdzilla
atheist
User is offlineOffline
<quote>Simply put, we both

<quote>Simply put, we both agree that both sides put forth deplorable excuses for their side and did not defend their side succesfully.</quote>

I got this far, then I lol'd.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:They were

TGBaker wrote:

They were intentionally changed very quickly. Scholars for example notice 3 stages in the Gospel of John. Just go to wiki for "the Synoptic problem".  Then read some of the books in the bibliography or we can discuss it here as well. B.F. Streeter's Four Gospels. Commentaries on the greek Testament.  R.E. Brown, J.A. Fitxmyer. Those are believing scholars who nontheless edmit the lack of historicity in the formation of the gospels.

I'll have to see what I can find and get back to this.  Thank you