The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

Hey all.  It's been a while since I've been on. I appologise, I've been busy. 

The title of this forum is the title of a book I just finished reading.  It's a catchy title, so I figured it'd be a good way to grab someone's attention on here.  The book is written by Becky Garrison. 

If her name doesn't sound familiar, that's fine, it shouldn't.  So why am I wasting your time telling you about this book?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  This is a book written by a True Christian.  HUH?  For all of you who have discussed with me in the past, you understand what I'm talking about and for those of you who haven't you can research my blogs.  Caposkia is my name. 

Anyway, It's written from the viewpoint of how a true Christian feels about of course the atheists in the world today, but more importantly for you, how she feels about Christians in the world. 

This is for all of you arguing with me about how Christians have to be black and white.  How you have to follow a religion and there's nothing outside of religion etc.  She touches on all of this.  I truly think you'll enjoy reading this book and I would like to hear from those of you who have read it if anyone.  If not, I"ll wait till someone finishes it.  It's not a very long book.

When I first came onto this site, I wanted to discuss directly with those who were involved in the infamous television debate that RRS was involved in about the existence of God with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.  They didn't have time and the other non-believers I came across were too opinionated to involve themselves in a conversation that made any progress.  Instead I got into other debates which for the most part were a lot of fun, but I digress. 

Becky mentions this debate as well in her book at the end.  This is for all of you on here I've talked to who would not believe me or had other personal issues with the fact that my opinion didn't flow with their idea of a Christian.  I will breifly say that I hold her viewpoint when she says that if she was at that debate, she would have "crawled out of that church in shame. "

Simply put, we both agree that both sides put forth deplorable excuses for their side and did not defend their side succesfully.  I know I know, many of you will disagree and say that RRS did disprove the existance of God in that debate, but enough with the opinions, I'm saying the other side did just as good of a job proving God.  This debate is a poor excuse to not follow Christ and this book talks about those types of Christians.

This book should clarify many misunderstandings of how True Christians are and I hope bring light to a new understanding of our following. 

It is written differently than most books, but is an informational peice and uses a lot of researched information.  It does focus on the "New Atheists" and is not a book preaching to the masses.  As said, it is from the point of  view of a True Christian.

enjoy, let me know your thoughts.  I would also request, please be respectful in your responses.  I'm here to have mature discussions with people. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Do you choose to love

Quote:
Do you choose to love your mom and dad or is it just a natural chemical reaction in your brain that you have no control over?

Hitler loved his mom, but respected his dad and his dad was an abusive fuck.

It is most certainly possible to "love" those who abuse you. Once those who convince you that you need them, and you blindly buy it, they can do terrible things to you and you will still think that is "love".

It is why women don't leave abusive relationships. The abuser convinces them that their abuse is a form of "tough love".

The mistake is that those who accept abuse confuse the abuse and demand for control as some sort of way of helping them correct their behavior. The truth is that the abuser is simply a selfish control freak with mental problems who has to dominate someone else to feel good about themselves.

The worst invention in human imagination was the first god ever claimed, whatever that was. It was born out of fear and ignorance, but quickly became a way to control others.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rare events happen all the time.

Lee2216 wrote:

“The likelihood of the formation of life from inanimate matter is one to a number with 40,000 zeroes behind it… It’s a number plenty big enough to bury the whole theory of evolution.” Sir Fred Hoyle. I can give you many more scientists if you would like. Evolution is a farce!!

Apparently your grasp of statistics is limited. You state "life from inanimate matter is ONE to a number with 40,000 zeros behind it."  Just like the lottery there is ONE winning number and we are it. All life needed was ONE chance in "it doesn't matter" how many zeros. You should do some research on the billions and billions of galaxies there are with trillions and trillions of planets. One shot is very likely. Rare events happen all the time. 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:Sorry!

Lee2216 wrote:

Sorry! Christianity trumps all!

Sorry, it doesn't work that way with rational people.

We're skeptical of extraordinary claims, unless they have extraordinary evidence to corroborate the claim.

That's why we're difficult to mislead, and even more difficult to fool.

Lee2216 wrote:
All other religions are incorrect!

I'd love to hear a Cristian tell a Muslim, or a Jew. I'd love to listen in on the three of them going,

"No, I'm right!"...

"No, I am!!".....

"No, I am!!!!"...

"No, you're not. I am!!!!!!!"....

"No, you can't be 'cause I am!!!!!!!!"....

"No, I am, 'cause it says so right here in my book!!!!!!!!!!!"

"No, you're not, because it says you're wrong and I'm right, in my book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"No, both you're books are wrong, because my book knows best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Allah Allah Allah!!!!!!!!

Jesus Jesus Jesus!!!!

HaShem HaShem HaShem..... hack hack hack....!!!!!

It would be like listening to baboons.

Rational people don't articulate their convictions like baboons. They demonstrate through facts, empirical evidence and logic.

Adding emphasis only adds drama. It doesn't actually add any true veracity to the claim.

Quoting legend and folklore is second hand hearsay and bronze age propaganda.

We all learned that as little children when we played "Telephone".

Lee2216 wrote:
So what! Science still can't explain the human condition.

It's only out of utter ignorance that one could make that statement.

Lee2216 wrote:
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure.

Thoughts occur in the mind. Not in the heart. The heart is a muscle.

Lee2216 wrote:
Who can understand it?

Robert Jarvik

Lee2216 wrote:
  Jeremiah 17:9 Jesus and the Holy Spirit is the ONLY thing that can cure the human heart.

Oh ya?

And my mama told me they're dumb!

Lee2216 wrote:
I guess that trumps science and machines.

In a mind like yours, I'm sure it does. Which is why you're not likely to actually ever develop anything useful, except your parroting skills.

Lee2216 wrote:
Your wrong again! People have tried to destroy the Bible ever since it's existence. Guess what! The Bible is still here hehehehe

So is the legend of the Tooth Fairy.

Are you going to debunk the existence of the Tooth Fairy?

Lee2216 wrote:
Heaven and Earth will pass away but God's word is eternal!

You have little faith in man, due to your lack of knowledge of what we are currently capable of, and what is being developed behind closed doors.

You couldn't cope, if you were to know.

I doubt you even understand what the Large Hadron Collider is going to allow us to understand.

I doubt you even understand what computer software like FEA can model and simulate in virtual reality.

Guys like me use the current state of the art technology. But we're also given insight into the next wave of technology, as beta testers of those technologies.

As we continue to develop computers and algorithms that can extrapolate exponentially faster, it will be like we discovered a new dimension.

You keep your nose in that book of yours. That way, you'll remain ignorant to what we're doing.

If there's a god, we'd find him.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:Do you

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
Do you choose to love your mom and dad or is it just a natural chemical reaction in your brain that you have no control over?

Hitler loved his mom, but respected his dad and his dad was an abusive fuck.

It is most certainly possible to "love" those who abuse you. Once those who convince you that you need them, and you blindly buy it, they can do terrible things to you and you will still think that is "love".

It is why women don't leave abusive relationships. The abuser convinces them that their abuse is a form of "tough love".

The mistake is that those who accept abuse confuse the abuse and demand for control as some sort of way of helping them correct their behavior. The truth is that the abuser is simply a selfish control freak with mental problems who has to dominate someone else to feel good about themselves.

The worst invention in human imagination was the first god ever claimed, whatever that was. It was born out of fear and ignorance, but quickly became a way to control others.

You totally avoided my question. Hitler and abusive relationships have nothing to do with my question. Do you choose to love (free will an inalienable right from God) or is it a chemical reaction. (evolution)

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:Apparently

ex-minister wrote:
Apparently your grasp of statistics is limited. You state "life from inanimate matter is ONE to a number with 40,000 zeros behind it."  Just like the lottery there is ONE winning number and we are it. All life needed was ONE chance in "it doesn't matter" how many zeros. You should do some research on the billions and billions of galaxies there are with trillions and trillions of planets. One shot is very likely. Rare events happen all the time. 

I didn't state that Sir Fred Hoyle did. Here is a brief list of fine tuning parameters for the universe. There are many more. 

1. strong nuclear force constant if larger: no hydrogen would form; atomic nuclei for most life-essential elements would be unstable; thus, no life chemistry if smaller: no elements heavier than hydrogen would form: again, no life chemistry
  2. weak nuclear force constant if larger: too much hydrogen would convert to helium in big bang; hence, stars would convert too much matter into heavy elements making life chemistry impossible if smaller: too little helium would be produced from big bang; hence, stars would convert too little matter into heavy elements making life chemistry impossible
  3. gravitational force constant if larger: stars would be too hot and would burn too rapidly and too unevenly for life chemistry if smaller: stars would be too cool to ignite nuclear fusion; thus, many of the elements needed for life chemistry would never form
  4. electromagnetic force constant if greater: chemical bonding would be disrupted; elements more massive than boron would be unstable to fission if lesser: chemical bonding would be insufficient for life chemistry
  5. ratio of electromagnetic force constant to gravitational force constant if larger: all stars would be at least 40% more massive than the sun; hence, stellar burning would be too brief and too uneven for life support if smaller: all stars would be at least 20% less massive than the sun, thus incapable of producing heavy elements
  6. ratio of electron to proton mass if larger: chemical bonding would be insufficient for life chemistry if smaller: same as above ratio of
  7. number of protons to number of electrons if larger: electromagnetism would dominate gravity, preventing galaxy, star, and planet formation if smaller: same as above
  8. expansion rate of the universe if larger: no galaxies would form if smaller: universe would collapse, even before stars formed
  9. entropy level of the universe if larger: stars would not form within proto-galaxies if smaller: no proto-galaxies would form
  10. mass density of the universe if larger: overabundance of deuterium from big bang would cause stars to burn rapidly, too rapidly for life to form if smaller: insufficient helium from big bang would result in a shortage of heavy elements
  11. velocity of light if faster: stars would be too luminous for life support if slower: stars would be insufficiently luminous for life support
  12. age of the universe if older: no solar-type stars in a stable burning phase would exist in the right (for life) part of the galaxy if younger: solar-type stars in a stable burning phase would not yet have formed
  13. initial uniformity of radiation if more uniform: stars, star clusters, and galaxies would not have formed if less uniform: universe by now would be mostly black holes and empty space
  14. average distance between galaxies if larger: star formation late enough in the history of the universe would be hampered by lack of material if smaller: gravitational tug-of-wars would destabilize the sun's orbit
  15. density of galaxy cluster if denser: galaxy collisions and mergers would disrupt the sun's orbit if less dense: star formation late enough in the history of the universe would be hampered by lack of material
  16. average distance between stars if larger: heavy element density would be too sparse for rocky planets to form if smaller: planetary orbits would be too unstable for life
  17. fine structure constant (describing the fine-structure splitting of spectral lines) if larger: all stars would be at least 30% less massive than the sun if larger than 0.06: matter would be unstable in large magnetic fields if smaller: all stars would be at least 80% more massive than the sun
  18. decay rate of protons if greater: life would be exterminated by the release of radiation if smaller: universe would contain insufficient matter for life
  19. 12C to 16O nuclear energy level ratio if larger: universe would contain insufficient oxygen for life if smaller: universe would contain insufficient carbon for life
  20. ground state energy level for 4He if larger: universe would contain insufficient carbon and oxygen for life if smaller: same as above
  21. decay rate of 8Be if slower: heavy element fusion would generate catastrophic explosions in all the stars if faster: no element heavier than beryllium would form; thus, no life chemistry
  22. ratio of neutron mass to proton mass if higher: neutron decay would yield too few neutrons for the formation of many life-essential elements if lower: neutron decay would produce so many neutrons as to collapse all stars into neutron stars or black holes
  23. initial excess of nucleons over anti-nucleons if greater: radiation would prohibit planet formation if lesser: matter would be insufficient for galaxy or star formation
  24. polarity of the water molecule if greater: heat of fusion and vaporization would be too high for life if smaller: heat of fusion and vaporization would be too low for life; liquid water would not work as a solvent for life chemistry; ice would not float, and a runaway freeze-up would result
  25. supernovae eruptions if too close, too frequent, or too late: radiation would exterminate life on the planet if too distant, too infrequent, or too soon: heavy elements would be too sparse for rocky planets to form
  26. white dwarf binaries if too few: insufficient fluorine would exist for life chemistry if too many: planetary orbits would be too unstable for life if formed too soon: insufficient fluorine production if formed too late: fluorine would arrive too late for life chemistry
  27. ratio of exotic matter mass to ordinary matter mass if larger: universe would collapse before solar-type stars could form if smaller: no galaxies would form
  28. number of effective dimensions in the early universe if larger: quantum mechanics, gravity, and relativity could not coexist; thus, life would be impossible if smaller: same result
  29. number of effective dimensions in the present universe if smaller: electron, planet, and star orbits would become unstable if larger: same result
  30. mass of the neutrino if smaller: galaxy clusters, galaxies, and stars would not form if larger: galaxy clusters and galaxies would be too dense
  31. big bang ripples if smaller: galaxies would not form; universe would expand too rapidly if larger: galaxies/galaxy clusters would be too dense for life; black holes would dominate; universe would collapse before life-site could form
  32. size of the relativistic dilation factor if smaller: certain life-essential chemical reactions will not function properly if larger: same result
  33. uncertainty magnitude in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle if smaller: oxygen transport to body cells would be too small and certain life-essential elements would be unstable if larger: oxygen transport to body cells would be too great and certain life-essential elements would be unstable
  34. cosmological constant if larger: universe would expand too quickly to form solar-type stars

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:ex-minister

Lee2216 wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

I didn't state that Sir Fred Hoyle did. Here is a brief list of fine tuning parameters for the universe. There are many more. 

1. strong nuclear force constant if larger: no hydrogen would form; atomic nuclei for most life-essential elements would be unstable; thus, no life chemistry if smaller: no elements heavier than hydrogen would form: again, no life chemistry
  2. weak nuclear force constant if larger: too much hydrogen would convert to helium in big bang; hence, stars would convert too much matter into heavy elements making life chemistry impossible if smaller: too little helium would be produced from big bang; hence, stars would convert too little matter into heavy elements making life chemistry impossible
  3. gravitational force constant if larger: stars would be too hot and would burn too rapidly and too unevenly for life chemistry if smaller: stars would be too cool to ignite nuclear fusion; thus, many of the elements needed for life chemistry would never form
  4. electromagnetic force constant if greater: chemical bonding would be disrupted; elements more massive than boron would be unstable to fission if lesser: chemical bonding would be insufficient for life chemistry
  5. ratio of electromagnetic force constant to gravitational force constant if larger: all stars would be at least 40% more massive than the sun; hence, stellar burning would be too brief and too uneven for life support if smaller: all stars would be at least 20% less massive than the sun, thus incapable of producing heavy elements
  6. ratio of electron to proton mass if larger: chemical bonding would be insufficient for life chemistry if smaller: same as above ratio of
  7. number of protons to number of electrons if larger: electromagnetism would dominate gravity, preventing galaxy, star, and planet formation if smaller: same as above
  8. expansion rate of the universe if larger: no galaxies would form if smaller: universe would collapse, even before stars formed
  9. entropy level of the universe if larger: stars would not form within proto-galaxies if smaller: no proto-galaxies would form
  10. mass density of the universe if larger: overabundance of deuterium from big bang would cause stars to burn rapidly, too rapidly for life to form if smaller: insufficient helium from big bang would result in a shortage of heavy elements
  11. velocity of light if faster: stars would be too luminous for life support if slower: stars would be insufficiently luminous for life support
  12. age of the universe if older: no solar-type stars in a stable burning phase would exist in the right (for life) part of the galaxy if younger: solar-type stars in a stable burning phase would not yet have formed
  13. initial uniformity of radiation if more uniform: stars, star clusters, and galaxies would not have formed if less uniform: universe by now would be mostly black holes and empty space
  14. average distance between galaxies if larger: star formation late enough in the history of the universe would be hampered by lack of material if smaller: gravitational tug-of-wars would destabilize the sun's orbit
  15. density of galaxy cluster if denser: galaxy collisions and mergers would disrupt the sun's orbit if less dense: star formation late enough in the history of the universe would be hampered by lack of material
  16. average distance between stars if larger: heavy element density would be too sparse for rocky planets to form if smaller: planetary orbits would be too unstable for life
  17. fine structure constant (describing the fine-structure splitting of spectral lines) if larger: all stars would be at least 30% less massive than the sun if larger than 0.06: matter would be unstable in large magnetic fields if smaller: all stars would be at least 80% more massive than the sun
  18. decay rate of protons if greater: life would be exterminated by the release of radiation if smaller: universe would contain insufficient matter for life
  19. 12C to 16O nuclear energy level ratio if larger: universe would contain insufficient oxygen for life if smaller: universe would contain insufficient carbon for life
  20. ground state energy level for 4He if larger: universe would contain insufficient carbon and oxygen for life if smaller: same as above
  21. decay rate of 8Be if slower: heavy element fusion would generate catastrophic explosions in all the stars if faster: no element heavier than beryllium would form; thus, no life chemistry
  22. ratio of neutron mass to proton mass if higher: neutron decay would yield too few neutrons for the formation of many life-essential elements if lower: neutron decay would produce so many neutrons as to collapse all stars into neutron stars or black holes
  23. initial excess of nucleons over anti-nucleons if greater: radiation would prohibit planet formation if lesser: matter would be insufficient for galaxy or star formation
  24. polarity of the water molecule if greater: heat of fusion and vaporization would be too high for life if smaller: heat of fusion and vaporization would be too low for life; liquid water would not work as a solvent for life chemistry; ice would not float, and a runaway freeze-up would result
  25. supernovae eruptions if too close, too frequent, or too late: radiation would exterminate life on the planet if too distant, too infrequent, or too soon: heavy elements would be too sparse for rocky planets to form
  26. white dwarf binaries if too few: insufficient fluorine would exist for life chemistry if too many: planetary orbits would be too unstable for life if formed too soon: insufficient fluorine production if formed too late: fluorine would arrive too late for life chemistry
  27. ratio of exotic matter mass to ordinary matter mass if larger: universe would collapse before solar-type stars could form if smaller: no galaxies would form
  28. number of effective dimensions in the early universe if larger: quantum mechanics, gravity, and relativity could not coexist; thus, life would be impossible if smaller: same result
  29. number of effective dimensions in the present universe if smaller: electron, planet, and star orbits would become unstable if larger: same result
  30. mass of the neutrino if smaller: galaxy clusters, galaxies, and stars would not form if larger: galaxy clusters and galaxies would be too dense
  31. big bang ripples if smaller: galaxies would not form; universe would expand too rapidly if larger: galaxies/galaxy clusters would be too dense for life; black holes would dominate; universe would collapse before life-site could form
  32. size of the relativistic dilation factor if smaller: certain life-essential chemical reactions will not function properly if larger: same result
  33. uncertainty magnitude in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle if smaller: oxygen transport to body cells would be too small and certain life-essential elements would be unstable if larger: oxygen transport to body cells would be too great and certain life-essential elements would be unstable
  34. cosmological constant if larger: universe would expand too quickly to form solar-type stars

And none of that = "MAGIC MAN DONE IT" (no matter where you got it (because I know that you didn't come up with this on your own, plagiarist).

The fact that you still believe that there is a cosmological constant is a joke also.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:You have little

redneF wrote:
You have little faith in man, due to your lack of knowledge of what we are currently capable of, and what is being developed behind closed doors.

Hell no I don't have faith in man. Do you? Yeah I know what were capable of. Killing each other, that's what man is capable of. We can send a man to the moon and do great things with knowledge and technology but we still can't find a way to love each other. Like the scriptures say, who can understand the human heart? The heart is the seat of thought and emotion. I'm sure you've heard the expression "how thoughtful of you."

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:redneF

Lee2216 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Hell no I don't have faith in man. Do you? Yeah I know what were capable of. Killing each other, that's what man is capable of. We can send a man to the moon and do great things with knowledge and technology but we still can't find a way to love each other. Like the scriptures say, who can understand the human heart? The heart is the seat of thought and emotion. I'm sure you've heard the expression "how thoughtful of you."

Well of course we are capable of killing each other. We were made in God's image, right?

Read the Bible - God is a killing machine.

The heart is not the seat of thought and emotion - that's the thing called the brain that you are scared of using. "How thoughtful of you" means "thanks for thinking about me". Brains think - hearts pump blood.

Oh, and the liver is not the seat of the life force, either.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:ex-minister

Lee2216 wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Your avatar can be summed up nicely by the Christian theological term Ex nihilo which denotes essentially the same thing.  ( except Christian theology interjects a mystical process )  ..still  Christians maintain that God created the cosmos from nothing.

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:The fact that

jcgadfly wrote:
The fact that you still believe that there is a cosmological constant is a joke also.

Go take something a blow it up! Are you going to get fine tuning or total chaos. It's a joke that you believe in evolution and you believe your life has NO purpose what so ever. No, it's not a joke it's downright sad.

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Well of

jcgadfly wrote:
Well of course we are capable of killing each other. We were made in God's image, right?

God's image meaning love! Is there anything wrong with love jc?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:jcgadfly

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Go take something a blow it up! Are you going to get fine tuning or total chaos. It's a joke that you believe in evolution and you believe your life has NO purpose what so ever. No, it's not a joke it's downright sad.

Would you quit acting like your straw man of evolution is the real one? The Big Bang was an expansion, not an explosion.

The cosmological constant was something that Einstein added to make his equations work. He abandoned it after he observed the Hubble redshift and later referred to it as his "biggest blunder".

It's hard to believe that you don't believe in evolution and you can still look in the mirror and notice you don't look exactly like your mom and dad.

I don't know about you but my life has meaning and purpose because I brought meaning and purpose to my life. How about you? Do you still need to ask god why you're here or are you just kissing up to him (or his earthly salesmen) and hoping he approves? If you answer to either question is "yes", you need to save your sadness for yourself.

— George Carlin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Which God are you describing? You only have an assertion that God is love (1 John 4:Cool that contradicts the other Biblical descriptions of God being a kill crazy freak.

There's the God of the OT and Revelation and the God that Paul and his converts tried to make Jesus into.

Which God are you talking about?

Nothing wrong with love but God didn't create it.

— George Carlin

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:Hell no I

Lee2216 wrote:

Hell no I don't have faith in man. Do you?

Well, yes. Of course I would. I would be insane not to. Completely insane.

Without man's interventions, my ancestors probably would have died any number of diseases that you would attribute as a creation of a god, and I never would have been born, so that I could witness all the other examples of man defeating the odds of survival and progress, to the point that our 'evolution' is such that 'we' are in the role of gods now.

We intervene and stop certain death from occurring. We manipulate the creation of life. We can manipulate how life is formed,

It wasn't that hard for us to figure out how to do.

We understand the mechanisms at work.

And yes, we can end life.

Theists are guilty of hating man, and killing him, for the SIMPLE reason of being different than the mindless indoctrinated dogmas of religion.

Lee2216 wrote:
Yeah I know what were capable of. Killing each other, that's what man is capable of.

In the name of god.

You left that part out, which makes you one who bears false witness.

Lee2216 wrote:
We can send a man to the moon and do great things with knowledge and technology but we still can't find a way to love each other.

You are once again bearing false witness. There's plenty of love among men. You don't see atheists hijacking planes and flying them into buildings, or strapping bombs to themselves and walking into crowded places and detonating them.

Do you?

You're obviously too ignorant to model scenarios, or willing to bear false witness. 

Without religious indoctrinations and their appeals to the fears of man, there'd be much less to consider another man as 'evil', and man would not have such a blind motivation to kill him.

Lee2216 wrote:
  Like the scriptures say, who can understand the human heart?

Like I already pointed out, Robert Jarvik, figured out, and understood that the heart is simply a muscle, no matter what was reported in some ancient scribblings by some ignorant ancient minions.

Lee2216 wrote:
 The heart is the seat of thought and emotion.

Theism lacks a true heart and soul. 

It's insane.

It is madness.

And theists are cowards and liars.

They use 'sins' as a method to shift blame for deliberately hating and killing men for their preferences.

Don't lecture anyone when you do not have the balls to say that you as an individual, hate another. Don't shift the blame and say that 'Mikey' TOLD me that it was 'wrong', and that 'I' should do it.

That's being a puppet, and an automaton.

I have the balls to tell you that I think that you and your a**hole of a god, are cowards.

I don't fear boys posing as men, nor do I fear the impotent figure you idolize as a god.

He's no god, obviously.

I've always felt the same, and talked the same about your idol. And my life is grand, and I'm much loved by my friends and family.

I don't fear what happens to me after I die, like you do. I'm not afraid that what I do while I'm here will make me suffer for eternity.

You have as much evidence of a hell in the afterlife, as you do a heaven.

Which is Z E R O.

You can keep your book.

I'll take the women.

TYVM.

Lee2216 wrote:

Go take something a blow it up! Are you going to get fine tuning or total chaos.

No. You don't get total chaos.

Explosions themselves are extremely predictable. And so are their outcomes.

If you knew how an atomic bomb is detonated in a highly controlled manner, in order to achieve critical mass, so it does not simple 'fizzle', then you'd know that.

Lee2216 wrote:

It's a joke that you believe in evolution

No.

We are all transitional forms. We are transitioning now. As you read this. Our brain mass is increasing, from generation to generation, which follows logically, the model of evolution.

We are getting 'better', we are getting 'different'.

We are not static, whatsoever. Our brains 'create' new paths and connections, from matter that was not there, during the course of our lifetime, not over generations.

It's a joke that fools like Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron are too blinded by their convictions to realize that they themselves are 'transitional' forms, and speculate that all the transitional forms NEVER existed, and go babbling on about things they neglected to educate themselves on.

It's a good thing that we have 'evolved' as a race, and as individuals, that we do not allow fools like Ray Ray, to discourage us from our 'evolving' from sand jockeys with their noses stuck in fairy tale books, to a race of brilliant innovators, who will continue to defeat the odds stacked on earth, that could have made us extinct, as a race, many times over.

Lee2216 wrote:

...and you believe your life has NO purpose what so ever.

No, not at all.

We have purpose. To evolve from primitive man, to a highly evolved and dominant man, and to eliminate those things that stand in the way of out evolution from primitive, to modern man.

Haven't you read all the 'books' that document all the 'victories' of man's evolution at defeating nonsensical biblical explanations of the natural world?

The biblical freaks are no longer able to simply 'kill off' those who can disprove accounts of the natural world in the bible.

The more 'evolved' man has been prevailing for centuries.

The church will eventually fade into oblivion, at the same rate that education becomes more widespread, and more easily accessible.

The most powerful immunity from ignorance is education and knowledge.

That's why the 'internets' were invented.

It's a conspiracy.

Devised by intelligent man, to defeat ignorance.

We did it right under your noses.....

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Theists are

redneF wrote:
Theists are guilty of hating man, and killing him, for the SIMPLE reason of being different than the mindless indoctrinated dogmas of religion.[/qoute]

As well as atheists!

rednef wrote:
In the name of god. You left that part out, which makes you one who bears false witness.

As well as people who don't believe in God. You left that out!

rednef wrote:
You are once again bearing false witness. There's plenty of love among men. You don't see atheists hijacking planes and flying them into buildings, or strapping bombs to themselves and walking into crowded places and detonating them.

You can't claim there is love among men because of your belief in evolution. According to evolution nothing exists except natural processes. Love and evolution are mutually exclusive! Your statements are irrational and contradictory which just shows how delusional you are.

rednef wrote:
And theists are cowards and liars.

You've never ever told a lie O' self-righteous one?

rednef wrote:
Don't lecture anyone when you do not have the balls to say that you as an individual, hate another. Don't shift the blame and say that 'Mikey' TOLD me that it was 'wrong', and that 'I' should do it.

You don't know me from a whole in the ground. I don't hate anybody, who's the one bearing false witness.

rednef wrote:
I don't fear what happens to me after I die, like you do. I'm not afraid that what I do while I'm here will make me suffer for eternity.

On the contrary! I'm right in the same boat with you actually. I look forward to dying and I'm not fearful at all.

rednef wrote:
You have as much evidence of a hell in the afterlife, as you do a heaven. Which is Z E R O.

And the evidence you have for the non-existence of heaven and hell. ZERO!!

rednef wrote:
You can keep your book. I'll take the women. TYVM.

Actually I'll keep the book and I have a mighty fine woman at home thank you.

rednef wrote:
We are all transitional forms. We are transitioning now. As you read this. Our brain mass is increasing, from generation to generation, which follows logically, the model of evolution.

I believe in micro-evolution sure. Now if you want to claim macro-evolution then your fooling yourself. Not one transitional fossil exists.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
1. Theists and atheists are

1. Theists and atheists are killing people - OK. But since the theists do it in the name of and at the command of God (in many cases), it's cool right?

2. Love evolved to benefit society and the species. I prefer it to the love that you claim God created that stems from fear and threats. Do you enjoy being God's battered spouse?

3. Yay! You agree there is no evidence for the existence and the non existence of heaven and hell. Why do you insist on believing things without evidence?

4. Do you keep your wife in the submissive posture that the Bible insists on?

5. So you believe in evolution. Why are you arguing against it? Evolution is evolution. The time scale is the only variable. Oh wait a minute, you're a hypocrite - never mind.

— George Carlin

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Which God are

jcgadfly wrote:
Which God are you describing? You only have an assertion that God is love (1 John 4:Cool that contradicts the other Biblical descriptions of God being a kill crazy freak.

No it's not an assertion it's truth. How many times are you going to use the contradiction excuse?

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:1. Theists

jcgadfly wrote:

1. Theists and atheists are killing people - OK. But since the theists do it in the name of and at the command of God (in many cases), it's cool right?

No it's not cool at all! There are many good Christians that would never kill in the name of God. For you to lump all Christians into the same boat is unfair and dishonest.

jcgadfly wrote:
2. Love evolved to benefit society and the species. I prefer it to the love that you claim God created that stems from fear and threats. Do you enjoy being God's battered spouse?

Love can either grow stronger or weaker. But according to the mechanism of Darwinian theory love should be on a constant incline. Take a look at our world today and you can see the exact opposite happening. More and more people are killing one another. There goes your theory on love evolving.

jcgadfly wrote:
3. Yay! You agree there is no evidence for the existence and the non existence of heaven and hell. Why do you insist on believing things without evidence?

I have evidence for other things that the bible claims which supports my belief in heaven/hell.

jcgadlfy wrote:

What do you mean by submissive posture? Elaborate more please.

jcgadfly wrote:
5. So you believe in evolution. Why are you arguing against it? Evolution is evolution. The time scale is the only variable. Oh wait a minute, you're a hypocrite - never mind.

There are different types of evolution jc. Micro and Macro. If you want to claim the time scale variable 15 billion years is not enough time for macro to even occur.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

I have no problem with love, I have a problem with naked assertions of comic book super heros falsely believed to be real.

"love" is a label humans IN REALITY put on a mundane normal NON MAGICAL human emotion we evolved to express. Just like running is not a thing, but a manifestation of the process of our legs moving faster.

"love" is a product of our evolution and existence. Like any other human emotion, there is no magical super hero needed to explain life.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

No it's not cool at all! There are many good Christians that would never kill in the name of God. For you to lump all Christians into the same boat is unfair and dishonest.

jcgadfly wrote:

Love can either grow stronger or weaker. But according to the mechanism of Darwinian theory love should be on a constant incline. Take a look at our world today and you can see the exact opposite happening. More and more people are killing one another. There goes your theory on love evolving.

jcgadfly wrote:

I have evidence for other things that the bible claims which supports my belief in heaven/hell.

jcgadlfy wrote:

What do you mean by submissive posture? Elaborate more please.

jcgadfly wrote:

There are different types of evolution jc. Micro and Macro. If you want to claim the time scale variable 15 billion years is not enough time for macro to even occur.

1. So you're saying that you would disobey a command of God if he told you to kill? I would question your Christianity but I'm glad you are more moral than your God - so am I.

2. The reason why people care about others is it is an evolved trait. the love that one feels for someone you want to spend time with as emotion triggered by brain chemicals secreted when you are near or thinking about that one you care for. The fact that a few people (compared to the rest of the planet) kill indicates that some people have some mental issues or think that their personal reason for killing overrides the needs of the species or the society.  I still find it preferable to your version where caring for people is based on fearing the threats of a vengeful deity.

3. Really? I'd love to see that other evidence (though it is likely anecdotal, unrepeatable, unobservable and unfalsifiable).

4. Why does it fall on me to educate Christians in their holy book? Do you make her follow the edicts of Eph.5:22, 1 Cor, 11:5, I Cor 14:34-35, 1 Tim 2:11-15?

5. "Macroevolution"  (what most call speciation) is simply many microevolutions strung together over time. Google "observed instances of speciation" and you can see where humans have watched it happen. It doesn't have to be over the large time scale you imagine. I still don't uinderstand how you can be for and against evolution simultaneously simply by the use of a prefix.

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:You totally

Lee2216 wrote:

You totally avoided my question. Hitler and abusive relationships have nothing to do with my question. Do you choose to love (free will an inalienable right from God) or is it a chemical reaction. (evolution)

You know what I am going to answer. but if you insist.

EVOLUTION. I will pick a natural answer over any old bullshit myth and twice on Sunday. I have no need for old kaleidoscope myth when modern science has given us REAL telescopes. What you have is mental masturbation in the form of imagination. What our modern age has are the tools that allow you to type on a computer and go to the doctor when you get sick.

You don't pray to Thor or Isis or Vishnu. Try understanding why you reject other people's god/s and maybe you'll understand why I reject yours as well. The only difference between you and I is that I reject one more god than you do.

Our galaxy alone is 100,000 light years across. The surface of the biggest sun found so far, if put in the place of our own sun, would extend PAST SATURN. And the force that a black hole exerts is strong enough that even light cannot escape it.

Old myths and even modern superstitions like Ouija Boards and Big Foot, have absolutely NOTHING on real nature. They are mere concoctions of the intellectually lazy because a placebo is easier to swallow than kicking the tires to insure quality of data.

A history of claims does not constitute evidence, otherwise the sun would be a god because the Egyptians claimed it for 3,000 years long before your zombie god ever got invented.

All you are proving to me is the downside of human evolution. P.T. Barnum said it best, "There's a sucker born every minute".

Evolution does not seek perfection which is why our species has the flaw of making shit up. We always have and you are not a different species. You are not special and neither am I. We are one of 7 billion. Those before us have died, and those after us will die, and eventually our entire species WILL go extinct. After that neither you or I or anyone famous, or the god/s claimed in the past or the ones invented in the future, will exist after our extinction.

Being frightened by this is silly. What would frighten you so much if this was all there was? It would be like being frightened by a leaf dying after falling off a tree.

I am sorry you feel the need to cling to old stories. I find our finite nature, both it's good and bad, far more interesting than the rantings of tribal goat herders.

AtheistSam
atheist
AtheistSam's picture
User is offlineOffline
A summary please

Greetings all - this has become a very lengthy discussion. As a new member without infinite bandwith can someone, preferably caposkia, please sum up the points addressed?

caposkia wrote:

This is a book written by a True Christian. 

What is a True Christian? Have we reached a definition on this?

caposkia wrote:

I will breifly say that I hold her viewpoint when she says that if she was at that debate, she would have "crawled out of that church in shame. "

If Becky can have an opinion of a debate my understanding is she has watched a recording of it. Has she "crawled out of that church in shame." ?

caposkia wrote:

... I'm saying the other side did just as good of a job proving God. 

Just a simple quote showing this proof please. This seems highly unlikely to me because then this forum would cease to exist.

caposkia wrote:

It is written differently than most books, but is an informational peice and uses a lot of researched information. 

Can you please summarise what information was disclosed as the book is not available in my country. Also, do you have links to these researches so that we can see what the book was based on please?

caposkia wrote:

It does focus on the "New Atheists" and is not a book preaching to the masses. 

Please define "New Atheists"? As far as I am aware not believing in improbable things is neither old nor new - simply a non-belief.

caposkia wrote:

As said, it is from the point of  view of a True Christian.

To close off my query, why do you consider yourself a True Christian, whatever that means as per my earlier question?

What Would Jesus Drive? Well, God preferred an old Plymouth, "God drove Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden in a Fury"; Moses was said to ride a motor bike, "the roar of Moses’ Triumph is heard in the hills", while the apostles would carpool in a Honda, "the apostles were in one Accord".

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Cap, be

jcgadfly wrote:

Cap, be patient with me. I'm going to recombine your two posts to my one.

that's fine.  There's a lot to follow now.

jcgadfly wrote:

1. You can take as much time as you need to build the bridge from "a designer/lawgiver exists" to "Yahweh is that lawgiver". It will still likely come down to "Because he said he was in the Bible"

naw, it's more like deducing the reasoning behind why the other gods couldn't be.

jcgadfly wrote:

2. So you and other theists can know (not needing faith) what you can't prove is true about God (because you take it on faith) but the atheist has to substantiate every little step of science or it's "just faith"? Do you use both hands to salute your double standard?

There's a faith factor and an evidence factor.  God is a being.  Just like you might know your brother enough to have faith that in a particular situation, he'd make a particular choice (assuming you had a brother... i don't know)  it's the same with God.  There must be some evidences and reasoning to believe beyond just faith... or just as Brian wants to believe, we would have to  believe in unicorns too.  

I stopped saluting with both hands after getting an elbow in the eye.  

jcgadfly wrote:

3. According to the story, God gave Adam and Eve a choice between two concepts (good/evil) that they didn't understand. The tree was the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil so it was knowledge they didn't have when the "choice" was presented. Unless you're saying that they simply should have responded to God's threat of death "correctly". If that's the case then you should simply admit that God is a "might makes right" bully and dispense with all that "God loves you and wants you to be saved" stuff because you're talking about different gods.

There are many factors that elude to the fact that they understood it'd be a bad situation if they ate the fruit.  the story says you surely shall die.  We can make all the assumptions we want as to what they understood or didn't understand, but it's logical to conclude that if they understood death (something they originally weren't supposed to experience) they understood other evils.  Remember the punishment was from disobeying God.. the consequences of the action was death.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
Still waiting for your evidence...

I've given you my evidence but I know you don't like that evidence. Tell me what kind of evidence would completely convince you? Give me some examples. What are you looking for?

woah, that sounds familiar... ready for a 2000 post forum that goes nowhere???  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Lee2216

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

I've given you my evidence but I know you don't like that evidence. Tell me what kind of evidence would completely convince you? Give me some examples. What are you looking for?

You haven't given me evidence - you've given me Bible. That is evidence for your belief but it is not evidence for your agenda-less "truth"

It's not a question of not liking your evidence - it simply doesn't meet the standards of evidence that anyone (even you) would expect from a fellow human.

The two answers I usually give to your question are:

1. Your omnipotent God already knows what evidence I'd accept. The fact that he has withheld that evidence makes him a being of evil.

2. Something that happened where there can be no other possible explanation than "God did it". The Bible doesn't have any of that. It has "miracles" that either have naturalistic explanations or that just didn't happen.

Jcgadfly... you got so caught up in the "I've given you evidence" that you forgot to answer the question.  

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

You haven't given me evidence - you've given me Bible. That is evidence for your belief but it is not evidence for your agenda-less "truth"

It's not a question of not liking your evidence - it simply doesn't meet the standards of evidence that anyone (even you) would expect from a fellow human.

1. Your omnipotent God already knows what evidence I'd accept. The fact that he has withheld that evidence makes him a being of evil.

2. Something that happened where there can be no other possible explanation than "God did it". The Bible doesn't have any of that. It has "miracles" that either have naturalistic explanations or that just didn't happen.

Jcgadfly... you got so caught up in the "I've given you evidence" that you forgot to answer the question.  

The answers to "what am I looking for?" are the words by the numbered points. God should know the answer to #1 and should be able to pull off something that meets the criterion set forth in #2.

I see you don't have an answer either. Don't be dishonest - I've seen enough of that from the Christians here to believe it to be a tenet of the faith.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:redneF

Lee2216 wrote:

redneF wrote:
There's no requirement of me to value anyone's interpretation above mine, no matter how petulant and frustrated it makes them.

So what! I can say the exact same thing.

sure... careful with the universal claims rednef

Lee2216 wrote:

rednef wrote:
And you must also realize that as convinced as you may feel you are, is NOT anymore convinced than another theist believes their beliefs (which negate yours and are incompatible with yours) trump yours.

Sorry! Christianity trumps all! All other religions are incorrect!

They can't even grasp anything beyond the physical. This statement is way way beyond this conversation and will only bring a longer pointless argument.  Just a warning.

Lee2216 wrote:

rednef wrote:
Your 'bible' will not stand a chance against the realities put forth by the Singularity.

Your wrong again! People have tried to destroy the Bible ever since it's existence. Guess what! The Bible is still here hehehehe and spreading all over the world. Heaven and Earth will pass away but God's word is eternal!

don't waste your time with such claims.  It's a statement, which would elude to the fact that he believes it's provable.  So instead of all that, just ask him for his research and evidence... when they don't present it to you or beat around the bush.. you've got them cornered... kind of like Brian.  Except he doesn't get cornered, he just runs around the room aimlessly claiming things he can't back up.  Hopefully rednef is smarter than that.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:Brian37

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:
He wrote plays and the "motifs" in those plays were FICTIONAL STORIES , not actual documentaries. And on top of that his postulations of what reality were ARE widely discredited today. So if you are going to equate his writings as "evidence" then you should believe in his polytheistic gods and not your monotheistic one.

These are your words "He wrote plays." Since he wrote plays that means that is evidence that he must have existed. Either you misunderstood my point or your just twisting words!

brian37 wrote:
NO our morals come from our species evolution and our morals as a species are constantly changing. OTHERWISE blacks would still be slaves and women still could not vote.

You have no logical reason to believe in right or wrong due to your own worldview. Right and wrong are Christian concepts. By attempting to claim morality as the product of evolution your are showing how irrational you are because you are borrowing biblical concepts which are contrary to your worldview. God is the absolute author of the universal moral code. If human beings are merely the outworking of millions of years of chemical processes then why should we hold to a code of behavior? Right and wrong concepts don't make sense in an evolutionary universe.

brian37 wrote:
FACT, it takes TWO sets of DNA to manifest into a zygote, thus making invisible godsperm knocking up girls an absurd claim.

According to the laws of nature yes that is a fact. The virgin birth was a super natural miracle and we know science can only test things that are natural so to claim it as absurd is ridiculous. God is the creator of everything so therefore he has the ability to create DNA at will. Just because science doesn't have the ability to explain it doesn't mean it can't happen.

brian37 wrote:
FACT, human flesh does not survive rigor mortis, which makes the zombiegod death claim of Jesus in the bible BOGUS.

See above

Honestly, don't waste your time with Brian... he just goes in circles.  He will make claims without backing them up.  You can present evidence and once he's backed into a corner and has to discuss it, he reverts back to his strawman claims.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:caposkia

jcgadfly wrote:

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

The answers to "what am I looking for?" are the words by the numbered points. God should know the answer to #1 and should be able to pull off something that meets the criterion set forth in #2.

I see you don't have an answer either. Don't be dishonest - I've seen enough of that from the Christians here to believe it to be a tenet of the faith.

really?  Why do you stop thinking when confronted?  You're smarter than this.  I know it... and you know me better than that.  If I don't have an answer, I'd tell you.  

Alright, let's tear apart 1 and 2

1.  You believe God withheld the evidence.  Is it possible you just haven't opened your eyes to it?   That doesn't answer the question.

2.  You make a statement that if it can't be explained than it just didn't happen... you have research to back that up right?  Otherwise aren't you just explaining yourself out of the unexplainable?    This is not asking for proof of a negative.  by your statement, your saying that it's likely the explainable happened, therefore to assume then that the unexplainable didn't happen, you'd have to have probable reasoning.. You can't just pick and choose.  This again does not answer the question.  Just answer it strait.  What are you looking for is what he asked.... the answer is simply; "I'm looking for X, Y, and Z"

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Lee2216

caposkia wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

redneF wrote:
There's no requirement of me to value anyone's interpretation above mine, no matter how petulant and frustrated it makes them.

So what! I can say the exact same thing.

sure... careful with the universal claims rednef

Lee2216 wrote:

rednef wrote:
And you must also realize that as convinced as you may feel you are, is NOT anymore convinced than another theist believes their beliefs (which negate yours and are incompatible with yours) trump yours.

Sorry! Christianity trumps all! All other religions are incorrect!

They can't even grasp anything beyond the physical. This statement is way way beyond this conversation and will only bring a longer pointless argument.  Just a warning.

Lee2216 wrote:

rednef wrote:
Your 'bible' will not stand a chance against the realities put forth by the Singularity.

Your wrong again! People have tried to destroy the Bible ever since it's existence. Guess what! The Bible is still here hehehehe and spreading all over the world. Heaven and Earth will pass away but God's word is eternal!

don't waste your time with such claims.  It's a statement, which would elude to the fact that he believes it's provable.  So instead of all that, just ask him for his research and evidence... when they don't present it to you or beat around the bush.. you've got them cornered... kind of like Brian.  Except he doesn't get cornered, he just runs around the room aimlessly claiming things he can't back up.  Hopefully rednef is smarter than that.

Funny thing about that, cap.

You can't grasp the metaphysical either but you claim to know it exists as long as you change the standards of proof.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:So why did

ex-minister wrote:

So why did Christians kill non-believers for hundreds of years? (The crusades, the spanish inquistion, Salem witch trial, the genocide of native americans, on and on).

I don't know... if you can support it scripturally, maybe we'll have an explanation.

ex-minister wrote:

Governments threw off the control of the religious and created secular governments and that is why you won't get killed if you swap religions. Where religion reigns is where you would get killed. The muslim world allows us to see what the judeo-christian world was like so long ago. There are atrocities in backward Christian parts of the world, ghana leaps to mind. 

Ignorance is death no?

ex-minister wrote:

Other gods have had resurrections? Since Osiris is the oldest known God to be resurrected, he wins. So you my friend are lost and your Jesus is just a plagiarism.

Be it that the resurrection of the Jesus was prophesied long long before it actually happened, isn't it possible that Osiris is the plagiarism? 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
AtheistSam wrote:Greetings

AtheistSam wrote:

Greetings all - this has become a very lengthy discussion. As a new member without infinite bandwith can someone, preferably caposkia, please sum up the points addressed?

Greetings AtheistSam.  This has become a very lengthy discussion...with no direction really.  

To sum up this discussion, it started off with the book..  It turned into... well, atheists challenging me to show them evidences of God and me asking them what focus they want to discuss as far as evidences... history, sciences, archeology, etc... Basically the rest is non-believers ignoring the attempt at a direction and trying to make claims without evidence or reasoning.

To make it simple... if you really want to discuss something specific with me, i'd be willing to start a new forum with you.  Otherwise, the current discussion is what is being discussed and everything already discussed as the trend shows on this thread is already forgotten and will be discussed again with the same result at some point. 

caposkia wrote:

AtheistSam wrote:

This is a book written by a True Christian. 

What is a True Christian? Have we reached a definition on this?

yes, a true Christian is one who follows God according to the Bible and not according to a denominational standard of God or doctrine. 

The discussion from here is a comprehension of who God is according to the Bible and what he expects of us as followers.

AtheistSam wrote:

If Becky can have an opinion of a debate my understanding is she has watched a recording of it. Has she "crawled out of that church in shame." ?

She did and has been a part of debates it seems. 

She does express shame about actions churches have taken... I guess I'd need to understand better what you mean by "crawled out of that church in shame."  What church?

I'm sorry if this is very relevant to the book... i've lost focus on that by now and would have to recap.

AtheistSam wrote:

Just a simple quote showing this proof please. This seems highly unlikely to me because then this forum would cease to exist.

I believe this was in reference to the debate with Sapient and Kirk Cameron.  My point was simply that neither side defended themselves sufficiently in my opinion and that the debate was kind of a joke.

AtheistSam wrote:

Can you please summarise what information was disclosed as the book is not available in my country. Also, do you have links to these researches so that we can see what the book was based on please?

to be honest with you... I just looked around for the book.  it has been but on a back burner in this thread for so long that I'm not exactly sure where it is.  Let's do this.  What focus would you like to discuss?  I'm willing to take the subject of God on any angle.

AtheistSam wrote:

Please define "New Atheists"? As far as I am aware not believing in improbable things is neither old nor new - simply a non-belief.

This is in reference to atheists bent on the idea that the have proven reasons to not believe in God.  They are out to prove the non-existence of God.

AtheistSam wrote:

To close off my query, why do you consider yourself a True Christian, whatever that means as per my earlier question?

I have rejected denominationalism and dispensationalism.  I have vowed to myself and to God to thoroughly research and understand what I claim to be true before claiming it and accepting it.  A true Christian can claim they follow Biblical standards and can back it up Biblically and do not use  a church or entity other than God according to scripture for reasoning to their actions.  

I suggest that if you're honestly interested in discussing something specific with me, that we start a different thread so as to not be sidetracked or lost by the lack of direction and focus of this thread.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:ex-minister

caposkia wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

So why did Christians kill non-believers for hundreds of years? (The crusades, the spanish inquistion, Salem witch trial, the genocide of native americans, on and on).

I don't know... if you can support it scripturally, maybe we'll have an explanation.

ex-minister wrote:

Governments threw off the control of the religious and created secular governments and that is why you won't get killed if you swap religions. Where religion reigns is where you would get killed. The muslim world allows us to see what the judeo-christian world was like so long ago. There are atrocities in backward Christian parts of the world, ghana leaps to mind. 

Ignorance is death no?

ex-minister wrote:

Other gods have had resurrections? Since Osiris is the oldest known God to be resurrected, he wins. So you my friend are lost and your Jesus is just a plagiarism.

Be it that the resurrection of the Jesus was prophesied long long before it actually happened, isn't it possible that Osiris is the plagiarism? 

1. Your side did the killing - why should the other side defend it?

2. If ignorance is death a lot of Christians would be pushing up daisies already.

3. Not hard to prophesy a resurrection when you write one for the character and shoehorn the prophecies to fit.

3. Osiris predated the guys who supposedly prophesied Jesus' resurrection.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Funny thing

jcgadfly wrote:

You can't grasp the metaphysical either but you claim to know it exists as long as you change the standards of proof.

pray tell, what standards of proof have I changed?

are you the same jcgadfly that I've been talking to?  The one I recently defended as one of the few that actually "thinks" on this site?  

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Ignorance is death no?

ex-minister wrote:

Read the book of Joshua for scripture for god telling his people to wholesale slaughter heathen. Yes, religion is ignorance. Osiris existed before 2500 BC. Moses existed around 1300 BC. So Jesus is the plagiarism. The jews took liberally from the religions around them. Orisis is an Egyptian god. In fact it is believed that Christianity spread so quickly in Egypt because the Christian myths were very familiar to their own myths.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:As well as

Lee2216 wrote:

As well as atheists!

Incorrect.

Atheism is not a dogma. That's a non sequitur. A logical fallacy.

Atheism is not a religion.  That's a non sequitur. A logical fallacy.

Not having a presupposition of a deity, is simply not having a presupposition of a deity.

Which is disctinctly different than, say, your supposition that the Darwin's theory of evolution does not exist, even though it is logical, and consistent with the evidence that exists, and is observable, quantifiable, testable, and falsifiable.

Your hope that a persistent folklore and legend is a more robust theory, without any observable, quantifiable, testable, and falsifiable evidence, is what qualifies your theory as a dogma.

Now you've been set straight.

Atheism is not even in the category of dogma.

It's simply something to describe what one is NOT.

It merely symbolizes that which we are not.

Atheist=Not theistic=Not dogmatic

You have no excuse to remain ignorant of the correct distinctions that I've clearly shown, of what IS dogma, and what is precisely a LACK of any dogma.

Lee2216 wrote:
rednef wrote:
In the name of god. You left that part out, which makes you one who bears false witness.

As well as people who don't believe in God. You left that out!

But 'they' aren't trying to pass the buck, and claim their invisible sky daddy was the motive and impetus.

That's the quantum distinction.

Now, you've been set straight.

You have no excuse to remain ignorant of the correct distinctions that I've clearly shown.

Lee2216 wrote:
You can't claim there is love among men because of your belief in evolution.

I never made any such claim, because it would be entirely stupid of me to do so, when I have seen the evidence all around me since I was a child, and HAVE love for some of my fellow men.

Lee2216 wrote:
According to evolution nothing exists except natural processes.

No.

Occam's Razor.

The theory of evolution is concerned with how animals and organisms evolved in nature, over time.

It's not concerned with another topic, which is the topic of claims of the supernatural.

Lee2216 wrote:
Love and evolution are mutually exclusive!

They're simply 2 different topics.

I'm immune to such gimmickery.

Bvllsh1t only baffles small brains.

Lee2216 wrote:
Your statements are irrational and contradictory which just shows how delusional you are.

Your allegations are false, as are your conclusions.

And incredibly premature, in light of your failure to find anything irrational, incorrect, or incompatible with my other assertions.

You're probably going to have to get some help from some people much more knowledgeable than you if you hope to being part of a team that's more rational than I alone.

Lee2216 wrote:
You've never ever told a lie O' self-righteous one?

Yes.

Many.

Why wouldn't I?

Lee2216 wrote:
  I don't hate anybody, who's the one bearing false witness.

You are simply 'hating' by proxy.

The god you hope exists, lectures to you to 'hate' many people, and their actions.

I did not bear any false witness, for demonstrating what your actually doing, yet claiming you are not doing.

Lee2216 wrote:

rednef wrote:

On the contrary! I'm right in the same boat with you actually. I look forward to dying and I'm not fearful at all.

It's amusing how you want to 'argue' that you know there is a god, because of what you understand, when you can't even comprehend the simplest statements, and completely misinterpret them.

No, we are not in the same boat.

Not at all.

I'd never be so stupid to mistake the differences between myself and a theist.

I never said I looked forward to dying.

That's your thing.

I never said I was fearful of dying.

What I said was that I'm not afraid that what I do while I'm here will make me suffer for eternity, once I'm dead.

I'm not afraid to do things, that you believe would sentence you to an eternal suffering.

They're the things I like the most about my life.

Lee2216 wrote:
 And the evidence you have for the non-existence of heaven and hell. ZERO!!

Without an existence, there is nothing material as evidence.

That's why it safe to assume there isn't one, and insane to claim that there IS one, when you're using the lack of material evidence as a basis for argument.

It just as insane as claiming the tooth fairy is real, and the lack of material evidence of the tooth fairy, is why the argument of the abscence of one, is a failure.

That's not logic. That's not even circular reasoning. That's insanity.

Lee2216 wrote:

rednef wrote:
You can keep your book. I'll take the women. TYVM.

Actually I'll keep the book and I have a mighty fine woman at home thank you.

You didn't comprehend the significance.

I said 'women'

Which means I'll keep many.

Which means I'll sleep with many.

Many who are not married to me.

Fornicators.

Lee2216 wrote:
 I believe in micro-evolution sure.

Then you know that evolution exists.

Lee2216 wrote:
Now if you want to claim macro-evolution then your fooling yourself.

No.

There is ZERO incompatibilty between micro and macro evolution.

I'm simply educated on the topic.

Here's an example that would qualify as rapid evolution, and arguably qualifiable as 'revolutionary' evolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Wall_Lizard

Lee2216 wrote:
 Not one transitional fossil exists.

This statement is not compatible with your other comment, which was that you understand that micro evolution exists.

It's also incompatible with, not only the evidence of previously living things, but with living things.

By it's very nature, evolution is a slow transition from one form, to a different one.

That's why it's called the theory of 'evolution', not the theory of 'revolution' (which is a sudden, complete, or marked change) (for example, where a chicken would lay a different type of bird)

The theory of creationism, is a quantum leap beyond that of a 'revolution'.

The creationism claim is one of material 'magic', performed by a rumoured immaterial magician.

It would be difficult (for me) to find a more way sensible and apt way to describe the enormity of the claim, better.

I'm not inclined to believe the legends and folklore of an extremely ignorant people and culture, in the way of the understanding of natural mechanisms, who were afraid of their own shadows.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:They can't even grasp

Quote:

Don't be dishonest.

What we don't do is blindly buy anything that cannot be observed. We know what quarks are, even though they cannot be seen with a microscope. We know their existence based on the observation  of the behavior of atoms and scientific formulas.  We don't know what happens in the center of a black hole, but we do see the affects of what it pulls in, much like we can see the affects of wind on a tree.

BUT none of that is based on ancient myth or superstition or naked assertions.

It amounts to "if it cannot be tested or verified" it is not worthy of consideration.

What YOU do is when a gap in knowledge happens is default to a who being the cause, which is nothing but human anthropomorphism. You are merely projecting your human desire to have a super hero on the world around you.

The difference is that any speculation of what "might be" in science IS TESTED, not blindly asserted before testing.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

pray tell, what standards of proof have I changed?

are you the same jcgadfly that I've been talking to?  The one I recently defended as one of the few that actually "thinks" on this site?  

I apologize.

You have been amazingly consistent in your argument, which from what I have been able to gather is "Science can only measure the physical. It can't measure the metaphysical. Of course, theists can't measure the metaphysical either but we know it's there even though we can't say anything about it.

IOW, "You atheists can't prove God exists or doesn't exist and we theists don't have to so He exists!"

Wait, we have to prove your god exists and doesn't exist? Maybe I should withdraw the apology.

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:On the contrary! I'm

Quote:

Which makes it easy for you to make political judgments in voting that affect wars that get OTHER people murdered. It is easy to murder other people when you don't see them as the same species. Your god character treats outsiders as a different species. Just as the god of the Jews and Muslims do. The same god.

I wish you and all believers of their  cosmic gang leader would not "look forward" to dying. Its a lot like the idiots who tailgate on the highway at 70mph who are more concerned with their destination, than getting there in one piece. These are the selfish idiots who put other's safety at risk due to their own selfishness.  If they had a hair trigger bomb attached to their front bumper, they would drive more carefully.

You might not fear death like we don't fear death, as far as pain and being a natural process, but unlike you we are not narcissistic in "looking forward" to getting past a fictional velvet ropes at the expense of "outsiders".

If you are looking forward to dying, get some professional help, we already have enough religious nuts who "look forward" to dying and end up taking out others who want no part of their selfish desires. Do not expect me to buy into any god claim that includes a final act of genocide where most of humanity ends up in the trash heap. I think more highly of our species than you.

How selfish of you, "I don't care what happens to you as long as I get my cookie, because my daddy loves me and will beat the shit out of you for not kissing his ass,"

You have to be out of your mind to expect me to respect such an absurd and SELFISH claim.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:caposkia

ex-minister wrote:

caposkia wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Ignorance is death no?

ex-minister wrote:

Read the book of Joshua for scripture for god telling his people to wholesale slaughter heathen. Yes, religion is ignorance. Osiris existed before 2500 BC. Moses existed around 1300 BC. So Jesus is the plagiarism. The jews took liberally from the religions around them. Orisis is an Egyptian god. In fact it is believed that Christianity spread so quickly in Egypt because the Christian myths were very familiar to their own myths.

The book of Joshua and the examples stated above are very different scenarios.  Joshua can be supported scripturally, the others can't... mainly because it wasn't a target of "non-believers" but those who were threatening. 

Be it that through history, a lot of Egyptian myths derived from Biblical scripture, It's not surprising.

Sure, Jesus came after, but the prophesies came much earlier... which could suggest Osiris is the plagiarism.  It's likely be it that he doesn't fit the timing of the prophesies that he is the plagiarism.   

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:They

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

Don't be dishonest.

dishonest?!  do you read what you write?

Brian37 wrote:

What we don't do is blindly buy anything that cannot be observed. 

which is commendable, except for the fact that every effort to look at the details has been ignored and sidestepped by you.  So sure, you intentionally blind.

Brian37 wrote:

It amounts to "if it cannot be tested or verified" it is not worthy of consideration.

and you have done the research to back that up right... that it can't be tested or verified on some level?  Where is your research.

Brian37 wrote:

What YOU do is when a gap in knowledge happens is default to a who being the cause, which is nothing but human anthropomorphism. You are merely projecting your human desire to have a super hero on the world around you.

The difference is that any speculation of what "might be" in science IS TESTED, not blindly asserted before testing.

how can you claim blind assertion with the numerous attempts at making YOU focus on the topic and then YOU ignoring it and reverting back to your corner?  As I said, I understand your leaving yourself blind intentionally.  I get it.  just don't make false claims, it insults the intelligence of everyone on here.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:\I

jcgadfly wrote:

\

I apologize.

You have been amazingly consistent in your argument,

thank you

jcgadfly wrote:

which from what I have been able to gather is "Science can only measure the physical. It can't measure the metaphysical. Of course, theists can't measure the metaphysical either but we know it's there even though we can't say anything about it.

Science can't measure it... I'll say yet... My point is we have no technology in science that has the capability of measuring or testing the metaphysical.  Who knows, maybe someday. 

Sure theists can't measure the metaphysical, but they understand it and understand that the concept of "measuring" it may not be possible in the standards we comprehend today.  Then again, we understand it exists and this understanding leads us to understand there's a lot more to it than we know... therefore instead of wasting our time trying to measure it, we understand the God that runs it all and see that the answers lie with Him.  We also understand he allows us to know and understand what is necessary for our lives and that precise measurements of the metaphysical would prove to be useless pointless information, rather just a comprehension of its existence is enough and understanding who's the head of it all is what's important.  

jcgadfly wrote:

IOW, "You atheists can't prove God exists or doesn't exist and we theists don't have to so He exists!"

or have I tried to discuss specific topics numerous times on this forum with little progression.    Of course that statement above would support the atheistic point of view and make a theist look like a moron and very gullible at that.  Too bad that's not the case.  

jcgadfly wrote:

Wait, we have to prove your god exists and doesn't exist? Maybe I should withdraw the apology.

actually, it's the non-believers on this site expecting proof on either side... I've only offered to discuss evidences.   Aren't you putting words in my mouth here?  I might need to withdraw my defense for you.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

Don't be dishonest.

dishonest?!  do you read what you write?

Brian37 wrote:

What we don't do is blindly buy anything that cannot be observed. 

which is commendable, except for the fact that every effort to look at the details has been ignored and sidestepped by you.  So sure, you intentionally blind.

Brian37 wrote:

and you have done the research to back that up right... that it can't be tested or verified on some level?  Where is your research.

Brian37 wrote:

how can you claim blind assertion with the numerous attempts at making YOU focus on the topic and then YOU ignoring it and reverting back to your corner?  As I said, I understand your leaving yourself blind intentionally.  I get it.  just don't make false claims, it insults the intelligence of everyone on here.

Where is your research that my snarfwidget doesn't exist?

Is my snarfwidget deserving of consideration simply because I uttered snarfwidget? It cant be observed or tested so therefor, it must exist until it is proven not to exist.

You are the one insulting people's intelligence, most importantly, your own. It is too bad you are too delusional to see that. I hope someday you wake up out of your dream state.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:On the

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

Which makes it easy for you to make political judgments in voting that affect wars that get OTHER people murdered. It is easy to murder other people when you don't see them as the same species. Your god character treats outsiders as a different species. Just as the god of the Jews and Muslims do. The same god.

Because that's what the Bible teaches... Jesus died for the world... except for those other species.. (B37 paraphrase)

Brian37 wrote:

I wish you and all believers of their  cosmic gang leader would not "look forward" to dying. Its a lot like the idiots who tailgate on the highway at 70mph who are more concerned with their destination, than getting there in one piece. These are the selfish idiots who put other's safety at risk due to their own selfishness.  If they had a hair trigger bomb attached to their front bumper, they would drive more carefully.

I would never claim to look forward to dying.  I love life.  Death is a consequence and an unpleasant one at that.  Granted we have a promising afterlife, but I have all of eternity to enjoy that... therefore, i want to enjoy life as is for as long as I can.

Brian37 wrote:

You might not fear death like we don't fear death, as far as pain and being a natural process, but unlike you we are not narcissistic in "looking forward" to getting past a fictional velvet ropes at the expense of "outsiders".

not every theist takes that point of view

Brian37 wrote:

How selfish of you, "I don't care what happens to you as long as I get my cookie, because my daddy loves me and will beat the shit out of you for not kissing his ass,"

You have to be out of your mind to expect me to respect such an absurd and SELFISH claim.

I wouldn't expect you to respect a shotgun if it was pointed at your head.  It's fun to watch you take a statement, then manipulate it so that it goes against your ideals to give yourself a base for any dispute.  You're very creative with that.  You should write fiction novels.  I'd read them.  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:
Sure, Jesus came after, but the prophesies came much earlier... which could suggest Osiris is the plagiarism.  It's likely be it that he doesn't fit the timing of the prophesies that he is the plagiarism.   

What a steamy pile of conspiracy garbage you have bought into. So somehow magically Jesus went back in time and planted these motifs in prior polytheism to lend credibility to Christianity. Did Jesus have a Flux Capacitor?

Or could it be that AS YOU ADMIT that overlap exists. BUT WHY THEN?

Maybe because all religions in human history exist, not because Osirus or the God of Jesus exist, but for the same reason that Coke and Pepsi are successful, MARKETING!

There is a saying in business, "If you cant make it good, make it look good". You can sell the most impractical shit to people and all it takes is appeal to emotion.

There is absolutely NOTHING original about Christianity or the Jesus character. It took animal sacrifice and symbolically turned it into human sacrifice. The "scapegoat" motif existed long before the "scapegoat" of the  Jesus character.

If you are going to admit overlap, then go the next step and accept the reality that humans made up religion and that your current popular cult is merely a result of human imagination combined with successful marketing.

And this doesn't even address the moral bankruptcy of the Jesus character. It takes away an individuals right to accept or deny the apology of the person who transgressed against us, and hands it to a third party. Don't hypocritically give me a brain to think with, and then hand my rights over to a third party.

Forgiveness is not a magical thing handed down to us by a fictional being. It is something our species has always had within us. Turning natural human behavior into a comic book strip cheapens our existence and divides humanity based on old superstitions that have NOTHING to do with our natural behavior.

And what is the symbol of your magical super hero? A TORTURE DEVICE! You worship a torture device! And you find that moral?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

\

I apologize.

You have been amazingly consistent in your argument,

thank you

jcgadfly wrote:

which from what I have been able to gather is "Science can only measure the physical. It can't measure the metaphysical. Of course, theists can't measure the metaphysical either but we know it's there even though we can't say anything about it.

Science can't measure it... I'll say yet... My point is we have no technology in science that has the capability of measuring or testing the metaphysical.  Who knows, maybe someday. 

Sure theists can't measure the metaphysical, but they understand it and understand that the concept of "measuring" it may not be possible in the standards we comprehend today.  Then again, we understand it exists and this understanding leads us to understand there's a lot more to it than we know... therefore instead of wasting our time trying to measure it, we understand the God that runs it all and see that the answers lie with Him.  We also understand he allows us to know and understand what is necessary for our lives and that precise measurements of the metaphysical would prove to be useless pointless information, rather just a comprehension of its existence is enough and understanding who's the head of it all is what's important.  

jcgadfly wrote:

or have I tried to discuss specific topics numerous times on this forum with little progression.    Of course that statement above would support the atheistic point of view and make a theist look like a moron and very gullible at that.  Too bad that's not the case.  

jcgadfly wrote:

actually, it's the non-believers on this site expecting proof on either side... I've only offered to discuss evidences.   Aren't you putting words in my mouth here?  I might need to withdraw my defense for you.

Cap, you want to discuss evidences that you admit you don't have. What's the point of that?

The best you seem to have is your assumption that you understand the metaphysical based on what you believe an ancient book and those who claim to speak for a deity have told you about it. Feel free to take away what you will when you describe me - I tend to doubt Christian honesty anyway.

Non-believers (at least those I've seen here) don't see any evidences for God - you claim to have them and want to discuss them but you don't present them. Instead you dismiss those who ask for them by saying "You don't understand metaphysics". You sound like a salesman who says "you have to buy my product before I can describe it to you".

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cap, as we speak now, if we

Cap, as we speak now, if we are going to assume for argument's sake only that your "all loving" "all powerful" super hero, sat with folded arms, and did NOTHING to stop a  father from driving his car into a canal with his toddler son who DROWNED. The son was KIDNAPPED under the watch of your alleged super hero and MURDERED while your super hero was watching.

THIS IS THE GOD YOU WORSHIP.

I think you need to drop this bullshit idea that good and bad are of some divine origin, and simply accept the reality that good and bad are the result of our natural existence. I can accept the bad happening without a puppeteer, without wanting bad things to happen, like this. But as soon as you postulate a fictional cosmic security guard who sits with folded arms while an innocent child DROWNS is sick.

YOUR DADDY WATCHES MURDER AND DISEASE AND WAR AND SITS WITH FOLDED ARMS WHILE WE AS A SPECIES SUFFER and what do you do, like a battered spouse, you thank this monster for providing us such horrible conditions to live in.

Your "god" cannot be called moral when it has the power to stop such horrors and does not and then blames us for what he didn't have to set up in the first place.

I on the other hand don't need your childish immoral Santa claims. This poor child died as the result of human behavior, not a cosmic super hero vs a cosmic super villain.

If you want to worship such a selective inept deadbeat, be my guest, but I will laugh in your face every time you try to pass such a character off as being moral.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You sound like a

Quote:
You sound like a salesman who says "you have to buy my product before I can describe it to you".

BINGO!

Yet Cap doesn't do that for other people's pet gods.

Used Car salesman, "Look, the car is shiny, cherry red, chicks will love you"

Potential buyer, "Can I test drive it?"

Salesman, "No, you have to buy it first"

Potential buyer, "Can I have it independently inspected?"

Salesmen, "No, you have to buy it first. COME ON IT'S CHERRY RED AND CHICKS WILL LOVE YOU"

Cap was the potential buyer into the Jesus myth and "metaphysics" who got sold the lemon and is now the used car salesman. Sad fact is Cap doesn't want to fact the fact that this is what is really going on. Once you buy the car without inspection you are fucked.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

Because that's what the Bible teaches... Jesus died for the world... except for those other species.. (B37 paraphrase)

Brian37 wrote:

I would never claim to look forward to dying.  I love life.  Death is a consequence and an unpleasant one at that.  Granted we have a promising afterlife, but I have all of eternity to enjoy that... therefore, i want to enjoy life as is for as long as I can.

Brian37 wrote:

not every theist takes that point of view

Brian37 wrote:

I wouldn't expect you to respect a shotgun if it was pointed at your head.  It's fun to watch you take a statement, then manipulate it so that it goes against your ideals to give yourself a base for any dispute.  You're very creative with that.  You should write fiction novels.  I'd read them.  

Cap, that quote was not aimed at you, it was the other Christian in this thread saying that he was looking forward to death so he could get his desert after dinner.  I find that selfish concept sick and divisive to humanity. I am not saying all believers in that myth buy into that selfishness. I wish more believers would not "look forward" to death, be they Christians, Muslims or Jews.

But since that book has words in it describing the emotional appeal of desert after an orgy of violence, it should not shock you that others claiming to believe in the same super hero, believe that. So your debate should be with this other "true Christian", not me.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:I wouldn't

caposkia wrote:

Good, now explain to me what happens to me after I die, according to you and what you claim the bible says about what will happen to me after I die?

Right now, I have walked away from the position that any god exists, including yours.

But assuming your model, for argument's sake only, what happens to me?

Am I given the choice of saying to this God, "no thanks" without fear of retribution?

Or do I have the shit beaten out of me forever for merely not wanting to hang out in his club?

I don't see that as anything less than emotional black male like a spouse threatening their partner for choosing to leave them. That is the "shotgun" you yourself accept as being a bad thing.

DONT try to wiggle out of this with "free will". There is no consent or questioning allowed on my part in this motif.

Your god is the final lawgiver and the mere transgression of not wanting to hang out with him results in eternal torture. I cannot vote this god out of office. I cannot consent to his will. I cannot seek to change the laws you say he gave us. This is hardly moral and only amounts to "might makes right".

How many women in western society today would put up with a husband who said, "If you don't like the way I decorate the house, get the fuck out, and not only get the fuck out, I will hunt you down and beat the shit out of you forever". That is a fucked up concept of morality.

I don't believe in your comic book tyrant. I am calling it as I see it merely as a concept motif you are falsely claiming to be true.

Watering down the bible to accept this emotional kidnapping is sick. You really need to stop doing this to yourself.