The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

Hey all.  It's been a while since I've been on. I appologise, I've been busy. 

The title of this forum is the title of a book I just finished reading.  It's a catchy title, so I figured it'd be a good way to grab someone's attention on here.  The book is written by Becky Garrison. 

If her name doesn't sound familiar, that's fine, it shouldn't.  So why am I wasting your time telling you about this book?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  This is a book written by a True Christian.  HUH?  For all of you who have discussed with me in the past, you understand what I'm talking about and for those of you who haven't you can research my blogs.  Caposkia is my name. 

Anyway, It's written from the viewpoint of how a true Christian feels about of course the atheists in the world today, but more importantly for you, how she feels about Christians in the world. 

This is for all of you arguing with me about how Christians have to be black and white.  How you have to follow a religion and there's nothing outside of religion etc.  She touches on all of this.  I truly think you'll enjoy reading this book and I would like to hear from those of you who have read it if anyone.  If not, I"ll wait till someone finishes it.  It's not a very long book.

When I first came onto this site, I wanted to discuss directly with those who were involved in the infamous television debate that RRS was involved in about the existence of God with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.  They didn't have time and the other non-believers I came across were too opinionated to involve themselves in a conversation that made any progress.  Instead I got into other debates which for the most part were a lot of fun, but I digress. 

Becky mentions this debate as well in her book at the end.  This is for all of you on here I've talked to who would not believe me or had other personal issues with the fact that my opinion didn't flow with their idea of a Christian.  I will breifly say that I hold her viewpoint when she says that if she was at that debate, she would have "crawled out of that church in shame. "

Simply put, we both agree that both sides put forth deplorable excuses for their side and did not defend their side succesfully.  I know I know, many of you will disagree and say that RRS did disprove the existance of God in that debate, but enough with the opinions, I'm saying the other side did just as good of a job proving God.  This debate is a poor excuse to not follow Christ and this book talks about those types of Christians.

This book should clarify many misunderstandings of how True Christians are and I hope bring light to a new understanding of our following. 

It is written differently than most books, but is an informational peice and uses a lot of researched information.  It does focus on the "New Atheists" and is not a book preaching to the masses.  As said, it is from the point of  view of a True Christian.

enjoy, let me know your thoughts.  I would also request, please be respectful in your responses.  I'm here to have mature discussions with people. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Promises of utopia is all

Promises of utopia is all you have fallen for. The worst part is that you refuse to see the bible for what it really is. It is a collection of human writings that reflect the "Lord" kings of polytheism and your monotheism, written for the tribal kingships of that time. You worship a dictator AS A CONCEPT, a motif.

If this alleged being has the final say, and I have no choice in the matter, that makes him a dictator.

In reality, in pluralistic societies, we consent to be governed and can change our leaders when we don't like them. Your fictional super hero is not movable nor can it be reasoned with.

So if you want to admit that your alleged god cannot be voted out of office WITHOUT throwing a fit, the only apt description of such a character would be DICTATOR!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap, that

Brian37 wrote:
Cap, that quote was not aimed at you, it was the other Christian in this thread saying that he was looking forward to death so he could get his desert after dinner. 

Brian, there is nothing wrong with looking forward to my dessert as you say. By simply saying that I look forward to death you can't automatically deduce that I don't enjoy my life. On the contrary, I love my life and I hope to live a long one at that.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:If this

Brian37 wrote:
If this alleged being has the final say, and I have no choice in the matter, that makes him a dictator.

Brian, you do have a choice.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:Brian37

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:
Cap, that quote was not aimed at you, it was the other Christian in this thread saying that he was looking forward to death so he could get his desert after dinner. 

Brian, there is nothing wrong with looking forward to my dessert as you say. By simply saying that I look forward to death you can't automatically deduce that I don't enjoy my life. On the contrary, I love my life and I hope to live a long one at that.

Where did I say you didn't enjoy your life? YOU USED THE WORDS "LOOK FORWARD" to death, which makes it easier to tailgate others on the highway and possibly cause a crash because you are more concerned with your destination than driving safely. Having that mentality of "fuck the other drivers" doesn't mean you don't enjoy the ride, it means that you aren't aware that YOU could cause a crash.

I don't look forward to death. I want to live a long life as free from much pain as possible. And yes there is something wrong with looking for utopias "desert" that don't exist.

Do you really think that there is a cosmic club for Christians only? How is that sort of elitism not selfish and self centered? You don't see the inherent divisiveness the "chosen people" motif humans have invented as a bit dangerous? Muslims believe in heaven too and they are speeding on that same highway you are. And for what? A utopia neither of you can prove exists.

You hope you live a long life, but if your Christianity is threatened you will defend it like a gang member defends the gang leader. This "chosen people" delusion is also what Hitler and Stalin's followers suffered from. All you have to do is sell a utopia based on emotional appeal and that can and has lead people to do horrible things to their fellow human.

Don't get me wrong, I AM threatening your Christianity, but not from a "gang" perspective that you suffer from, but from a "do you really believe the shit you are selling" perspective.

I am no more pulled in by your Christian promise of a fictional heaven than I am when a Muslim claims it and I am no more pulled in by the threats of a Christian hell than I am if a Muslim were to threaten me with their hell.

Superstitions and comic book claims of super heros vs super villains do not impress me. But I am damn sure concerned about the fans driving on this same highway(life) who will in a heartbeat kill in the name of their god.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

No I do not. Your god is not an elected official. He wasn't voted into office and cannot be voted out of office. There is no such thing as a "kind dictator". Even the Queen of England is a mere figurehead today and if she tried to pull the "I can do whatever I want shit" like your god character gets away with, she would be ousted if not assassinated. She a least now accepts her decoration role.

When your model includes a being that can change it's laws or abdicate power to those who whom he governs through advise and consent,  you'd have a much more compassionate model. I'd still have a problem with that because it still claims a magical invisible super brain. But at least that would be less of a monster.

The God of the bible is unmovable and unwilling to give up it's own power. That is the definition of a tyrant.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Take your beer goggles off

Take your beer goggles off and READ every word of your book without skipping over the nasty parts.

This character you believe in DOES NOT take kindly to dissent and treats outsiders as trash to burn. He is not someone you can ask, "Hey do you mind doing this differently" or " It's time you stepped down and give someone else a shot at governing".

The bible even says "I am a jealous god" and the first commandment isn't about any rule of compassion for others, it is a DEMAND that you worship him. THAT is your alleged God's top priority. Not even the second commandment is about compassion, but arbitrary rules he set up about his worship.

AGAIN, I do not believe one word of this book that was written over 1,000 year period by 40 authors with books left out. I am saying that this character is hardly selfless or compassionate. And the climax of the book is a final bloody battle over whom he loves the best where most of humanity ends up in the garbage bin to be burned.

This is a perfect manifesto for anyone wanting to head up the mafia or totalitarian state. Promise them a utopia and pick their pockets at the same time and then threaten them and bully them when they get out of line. It is a strong armed protection racket based on emotional blackmail.

kingmab2002
User is offlineOffline
the American Revolution - Jan 1 2011 - Final Warnings

my challenge for sh*t for brains james randi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMukj31qw1U

CARPET BOMBING

TORA! TORA! TORA!

http://www.atheistmedia.com/2011/01/pz-myers-on-science-and-atheism-natural.html

WRONG

Dear PZ... I spoke with God yesterday.... Do you want to know what he told me?

CLOBBERING TIME

dawkins - got you...

who's the WINGNUT?

http://richarddawkins.net/videos/579240-the-truth-about-the-lunatic-religious-right-in-america?page=1

THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION - JAN 1, 2011

OMENS OF DEATH:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/302169

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/7776949-5000-black-birds-fell-from-sky-due-to-flu

http://starseedshaman.info/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/redwing.jpg

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/science_feature/

the end of atheism - only the blind and deaf can deny it...

an example and warning of the fate of those who try to divide people....

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/1176-serves-em-right.html

At least we're on the same page...

Serves Em Right, eh, Randi....

Just for you, little traitors…

WHAT IS *WRONG* WITH HENRY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YgdmtkTwO8&feature=related

we're this far from nuking all of you....

the X-MAS vacuum cleaner for the atheists....

shermer, randi, myers, pz, dawkins, harris

http://thecoolgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/henry-desktop-vacuum1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz4R0GHfM-Y&

why does everyone always want to PUNCH you, shermer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrWz9XVvls&

take your meds, you little fckers...

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/4006595/view/1/producttypecolor/1/type/png/width/378/height/378/e-mc2_...

now we are going to bury you...

And the lesson from all of this? DOUBLE!

What do you want, you little ****ers?

more of these idiots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4C5yzFmC80

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prizes_for_evidence_of_the_paranormal

HOW N WON ALL THE PARANORMAL PRIZES!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus

pz myers does not exist…

http://richarddawkins.net/discussions/543672-inhertitance-of-acquired-behaviour-adaptions-and-brain-gene-expression-in-chickens

atheists, we’re gonna cut off your heads…

THE HIGH PRICE OF REVOLUTION

http://www.youtube.com/user/xviolatex?feature=mhum

Hebert Marxuxe

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:What a steamy

Brian37 wrote:

What a steamy pile of conspiracy garbage you have bought into. So somehow magically Jesus went back in time and planted these motifs in prior polytheism to lend credibility to Christianity. Did Jesus have a Flux Capacitor?

or could it be that Jesus was there before the beginning.  If God is real, and the Bible is the right perspective, then it makes perfect sense that these motifs would exist in many religions stemmed from the source.

Brian37 wrote:

Or could it be that AS YOU ADMIT that overlap exists. BUT WHY THEN?

ah, very good question.  It seems that i referenced a book many times that covers that.  The next Christiandom.  don't buy it, just skim it.   Write down some references and do some home work to assure that this author's research is accurate.

Brian37 wrote:

Maybe because all religions in human history exist, not because Osirus or the God of Jesus exist, but for the same reason that Coke and Pepsi are successful, MARKETING!

Talk about conspiracy garbage

Brian37 wrote:

There is a saying in business, "If you cant make it good, make it look good". You can sell the most impractical shit to people and all it takes is appeal to emotion.

if that's so, then how did the Judeo/Christian belief succeed?  Not only did it not look as appealing as 300 virgins at death, but promises of a degrading life followed.  Even you have pulled out some bad things that make Christianity less than appealing... which would make you contradicting yourself here, but that's beside the point.   Pray tell

Brian37 wrote:

There is absolutely NOTHING original about Christianity or the Jesus character. It took animal sacrifice and symbolically turned it into human sacrifice. The "scapegoat" motif existed long before the "scapegoat" of the  Jesus character.

do your homework, the prophesies existed too.  You are not making yourself look intelligent here and unless you know a little bit about the history of the churches and religion, where they came from, how they formed, how they branched off, you're going to find yourself in a very tight spot.   Wait... you're used to that.  You already have a plan... lemme guess.  your defense will be something along the lines of:  "Your superpower does not exist!  You only wish it did so that you can have a special feeling.  I have no proof or evidence to back myself up here, but the Brain theology exists and therefore your God does not!"

Brian37 wrote:

If you are going to admit overlap, then go the next step and accept the reality that humans made up religion and that your current popular cult is merely a result of human imagination combined with successful marketing.

explain how you make the connection here.  How does overlap = made up religion = no god?  honestly, i need to understand this perspective

Brian37 wrote:

And this doesn't even address the moral bankruptcy of the Jesus character. It takes away an individuals right to accept or deny the apology of the person who transgressed against us, and hands it to a third party. Don't hypocritically give me a brain to think with, and then hand my rights over to a third party.

that's not what happened.  It still holds the accused fully responsible.  You make is sound like the apology is the forgiveness without Jesus.  An apology is only the first step.  Accepting the apology is step 2.  Then it is on the person who apologized to build up the trust with the person he/she went against.  With Jesus, this applies.  The forgiveness comes with repentance after all those steps.  You are more responsible for yourself, not less like you seem to think

Brian37 wrote:

Forgiveness is not a magical thing handed down to us by a fictional being. It is something our species has always had within us. Turning natural human behavior into a comic book strip cheapens our existence and divides humanity based on old superstitions that have NOTHING to do with our natural behavior.

nothing in the Bible would support otherwise.  Your point?

Brian37 wrote:

And what is the symbol of your magical super hero? A TORTURE DEVICE! You worship a torture device! And you find that moral?

you worshiped the cross when you believed?  No wonder you walked away from it.  

with your philosophy, how sadistic of us as Americans to celebrate our freedom with a symbolism of the very thing that has destroyed thousands of lives in many many wars. 

Are you being hypocritical or are you against 4th of July celebrations?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

What a steamy pile of conspiracy garbage you have bought into. So somehow magically Jesus went back in time and planted these motifs in prior polytheism to lend credibility to Christianity. Did Jesus have a Flux Capacitor?

or could it be that Jesus was there before the beginning.  If God is real, and the Bible is the right perspective, then it makes perfect sense that these motifs would exist in many religions stemmed from the source.

Brian37 wrote:

Or could it be that AS YOU ADMIT that overlap exists. BUT WHY THEN?

ah, very good question.  It seems that i referenced a book many times that covers that.  The next Christiandom.  don't buy it, just skim it.   Write down some references and do some home work to assure that this author's research is accurate.

Brian37 wrote:

Maybe because all religions in human history exist, not because Osirus or the God of Jesus exist, but for the same reason that Coke and Pepsi are successful, MARKETING!

Talk about conspiracy garbage

Brian37 wrote:

There is a saying in business, "If you cant make it good, make it look good". You can sell the most impractical shit to people and all it takes is appeal to emotion.

if that's so, then how did the Judeo/Christian belief succeed?  Not only did it not look as appealing as 300 virgins at death, but promises of a degrading life followed.  Even you have pulled out some bad things that make Christianity less than appealing... which would make you contradicting yourself here, but that's beside the point.   Pray tell

Brian37 wrote:

There is absolutely NOTHING original about Christianity or the Jesus character. It took animal sacrifice and symbolically turned it into human sacrifice. The "scapegoat" motif existed long before the "scapegoat" of the  Jesus character.

do your homework, the prophesies existed too.  You are not making yourself look intelligent here and unless you know a little bit about the history of the churches and religion, where they came from, how they formed, how they branched off, you're going to find yourself in a very tight spot.   Wait... you're used to that.  You already have a plan... lemme guess.  your defense will be something along the lines of:  "Your superpower does not exist!  You only wish it did so that you can have a special feeling.  I have no proof or evidence to back myself up here, but the Brain theology exists and therefore your God does not!"

Brian37 wrote:

If you are going to admit overlap, then go the next step and accept the reality that humans made up religion and that your current popular cult is merely a result of human imagination combined with successful marketing.

explain how you make the connection here.  How does overlap = made up religion = no god?  honestly, i need to understand this perspective

Brian37 wrote:

And this doesn't even address the moral bankruptcy of the Jesus character. It takes away an individuals right to accept or deny the apology of the person who transgressed against us, and hands it to a third party. Don't hypocritically give me a brain to think with, and then hand my rights over to a third party.

that's not what happened.  It still holds the accused fully responsible.  You make is sound like the apology is the forgiveness without Jesus.  An apology is only the first step.  Accepting the apology is step 2.  Then it is on the person who apologized to build up the trust with the person he/she went against.  With Jesus, this applies.  The forgiveness comes with repentance after all those steps.  You are more responsible for yourself, not less like you seem to think

Brian37 wrote:

Forgiveness is not a magical thing handed down to us by a fictional being. It is something our species has always had within us. Turning natural human behavior into a comic book strip cheapens our existence and divides humanity based on old superstitions that have NOTHING to do with our natural behavior.

nothing in the Bible would support otherwise.  Your point?

Brian37 wrote:

And what is the symbol of your magical super hero? A TORTURE DEVICE! You worship a torture device! And you find that moral?

you worshiped the cross when you believed?  No wonder you walked away from it.  

with your philosophy, how sadistic of us as Americans to celebrate our freedom with a symbolism of the very thing that has destroyed thousands of lives in many many wars. 

Are you being hypocritical or are you against 4th of July celebrations?

Don't project yourself on me. I walked away from it because it ceased to make any sense. Not because of "graven images" or 'Idols". That is the crap you believe, not me.

"You didn't worship god right, thats why you left". Yea, so the fuck what, you and every other believer says that. Your claims are not anymore special than others holding your label than they are when Muslims or Jew make their claims.

YOU celebrate a book whose head character's alleged son dies on a torture device. You worship a blood cult.

You value torture as a problem solving tactic. Everywhere in that book this alleged god allows or commits acts of torture to correct human behavior.

You cant face that so you project your insecurities on me. You buy into an immoral book of myth whose dictator character uses violence as his conflict resolution tactic.

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I walked away

Brian37 wrote:
I walked away from it because it ceased to make any sense. Not because of "graven images" or 'Idols". That is the crap you believe, not me.

It didn't make any sense to you because you aren't sincerely looking for the truth. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate. 1 Corinthians 1:18-19 You narcissism and your denial of your sins is what made you walk away. Pride separates a man from God. Your misinformed Brian!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:
I walked away from it because it ceased to make any sense. Not because of "graven images" or 'Idols". That is the crap you believe, not me.

It didn't make any sense to you because you aren't sincerely looking for the truth. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate. 1 Corinthians 1:18-19 You narcissism and your denial of your sins is what made you walk away. Pride separates a man from God. Your misinformed Brian!

Or he was looking for it and it wasn't there...

Looks like another case of "You have to buy my product before I can describe it to you. Oh and all sales are final."

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Cap, you want

jcgadfly wrote:

Cap, you want to discuss evidences that you admit you don't have. What's the point of that?

No, you want to discuss evidences no one could logically have whether God existed or not.  I want to discuss reasonable evidences that would work for you to discuss.  what subject matter, then we'll narrow it down from there.

jcgadfly wrote:

The best you seem to have is your assumption that you understand the metaphysical based on what you believe an ancient book and those who claim to speak for a deity have told you about it. Feel free to take away what you will when you describe me - I tend to doubt Christian honesty anyway.

Have I yet given you a reason to doubt my honesty?  

you really aren't the jcgadfly I've been talking to.  Where he and what have you done with him?!!!!  The discussion as of late has been without substance because the participating conversationalists seem to care less about discussion on reasonable grounds... why should I waste my time.  I have other forums that I'd rather take my time on that actually have people who want to discuss the details without backing down when it gets difficult... and i do.  I'm still on here to, well, mess around for humor's sake until someone expresses that they want to have a serious conversation, then I'll talk to them.  usually those people end up discussing with me on a separate forum because ti's just easier.

jcgadfly wrote:

Non-believers (at least those I've seen here) don't see any evidences for God - you claim to have them and want to discuss them but you don't present them. Instead you dismiss those who ask for them by saying "You don't understand metaphysics". You sound like a salesman who says "you have to buy my product before I can describe it to you".

Really, i want jcgadfly back.  

I only claimed that person didn't understand metaphysics when he defended himself in such a way that proved the statement.  I never generally claimed that and would not use that as a defense and you know it.  I also dismiss that person because their defense is insulting to everyone's intelligence.  

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

It didn't make any sense to you because you aren't sincerely looking for the truth. 

What you describe as 'truth' is a metaphor that is a rhetorical, and hyperbolic fallacy device insidiously used by dogmatists and preachers, to 'hypnotize' weak minded minions, and is used interchangeably with 'faith', and 'belief' which are used interchangeably with 'hope'.

You have a 'hope'?

Good for fcuking you.

Now piss off, and go into your own corner and jerk off to the god you 'hope' is there.

And leave us the fcuk out of what you 'hope' is reality.

'Facts' and 'Truth' are not interchangeable for your misappropriation of the word 'truth', and dishonest bastardization of the english language.

So stop pissing in peoples' ears, and telling them that it's raining.

Lee2216 wrote:
Pride separates a man from God. Your misinformed Brian!

The god you worship would be the biggest and most powerless pvssy ever to exist, if he were real.

He'd call for my blood to be spilt.

But that ain't gonna happen, if society keeps doing it's job, and pushes forward even further with secularism, and puts dogma back into the voodoo caves where it belongs.

Society just placates dogmatics, and establishes a more rational means of co-existing, and evolving as a species.

Your god does not rule in North America.

The courts do.

We've won.

And we're not going back to voodoo.

Ever.

Deal with it...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

NO, I am informed and that is why the bible makes no sense.

The earth was not made in 6 days.

There was no global flood.

Virgins don't get knocked up by ghosts.

Human flesh does not survive rigor mortis.

Quote:
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Translation, "God works in mysterious ways".

You might as well be quoting Star Wars, "Let go Luke, use the force".

It is nothing but a naked assertion based on your own personal bias sold to you by 2,000 years of popular belief. Most of the world once believed the earth to be flat too, but it was not. Muslims quote the Koran too, but you are not a Muslim.

Your condescending attitude treating like a lost puppy is quite mundane and hardly original. If anyone doesn't want the truth, and is merely chasing a fictional utopia, it would be you.

I know the earth is 4 billion years old and that the universe is 13 billion. I know that it takes a ray of light 100,000 light years to travel across the galaxy. I know what DNA IS.  None of those FACTS were written in books of myth by unscientific people.

I have no need for your Santa for adults. Your pet deity is no different to me than Allah, or Thor or Vishnu or Superman. Try understanding why you reject all other's deity claims and maybe you'll figure out that I am the one trying to help you.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap, as we

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, as we speak now, if we are going to assume for argument's sake only that your "all loving" "all powerful" super hero, sat with folded arms, and did NOTHING to stop a  father from driving his car into a canal with his toddler son who DROWNED. The son was KIDNAPPED under the watch of your alleged super hero and MURDERED while your super hero was watching.

THIS IS THE GOD YOU WORSHIP.

a God that allows people to make their own choices.  What a terrible concept!

let's put it this way, there's no fence here, would you like to have choice or no choice.  No choice, you're miserable, but no wrong happens in the world, choice, you're happy because you can do what you want and pay natural consequences, cause others harm, and there's problems in the world because people make dumb choices.  

If God chose to stop the bad you're describing, then he would also have to not allow you to say anything negative about him, or not believe in him regardless of your perspective or thoughts.  

you want to blame God for wrongs like above.  Why not look at the person first?  What choices did that father make before crashing his car with his son in it... Was he drinking.  Should God intervene if he's stupid enough to drink then drive with his son?  that would be a choice the father made, yes his son pays the consequences, but then again, who suffers more, the son who drowned, or the father who has to live with the knowledge that he killed his own son for the rest of his life?   

your examples are great, but to assume God having a good heart and conscience would intervene for every stupid choice a person makes in the world is ignorant.  God being a good hearted loving God would allow you to make a choice, then reap the consequences in life or live it as a life lesson for others.  Are you angry at God because people get raped, or are you angry at the rapist?  Assuming God is real.

If you're angry at God, then you're telling me the rapist is innocent because God allowed him to do it and that makes it ok for him.  If you're angry at the rapist, then you understand that God had nothing to do with it and has no blame in the situation and that it was completely on the rapists shoulders to make that choice and to ruin another persons life.   Again, there's no fence here, either God is at fault for allowing it to happen, or the rapist is at fault, can't be both.  

Brian37 wrote:

I think you need to drop this bullshit idea that good and bad are of some divine origin, and simply accept the reality that good and bad are the result of our natural existence. I can accept the bad happening without a puppeteer, without wanting bad things to happen, like this. But as soon as you postulate a fictional cosmic security guard who sits with folded arms while an innocent child DROWNS is sick.

that's your idea of what happens.  You're looking at God as if we need him to protect us.  or that we need him for explaining things.  You keep claiming you don't need God to understand things.  i don't disagree with you.

Brian37 wrote:

YOUR DADDY WATCHES MURDER AND DISEASE AND WAR AND SITS WITH FOLDED ARMS WHILE WE AS A SPECIES SUFFER and what do you do, like a battered spouse, you thank this monster for providing us such horrible conditions to live in.

Read Revelation.  Are you sure he sits with folded arms, or is everyone who does wrong on probation until judgement is passed?  You are the same person who complained that God was evil for destroying people in the OT for doing wrong and yet here you're complaining that he does nothing.  Which is it?   Are you contradicting yourself?

Brian37 wrote:

Your "god" cannot be called moral when it has the power to stop such horrors and does not and then blames us for what he didn't have to set up in the first place.

I on the other hand don't need your childish immoral Santa claims. This poor child died as the result of human behavior, not a cosmic super hero vs a cosmic super villain.

If you want to worship such a selective inept deadbeat, be my guest, but I will laugh in your face every time you try to pass such a character off as being moral.

You're funny.  i know you're trying in your own way to put into perspective that we suffer from our own choices and that God is not needed.  I agree.. .however that doesn't mean he's not there.  

you're trying to turn God into the murderer, the rapist, etc.. because he didn't stop it... by what you said above, you're basically taking all the blame off the person who actually did it.  Are you saying that with God in the world, everyone's actually innocent of their own choices?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:You

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
You sound like a salesman who says "you have to buy my product before I can describe it to you".

BINGO!

Yet Cap doesn't do that for other people's pet gods.

Used Car salesman, "Look, the car is shiny, cherry red, chicks will love you"

Potential buyer, "Can I test drive it?"

Salesman, "No, you have to buy it first"

Potential buyer, "Can I have it independently inspected?"

Salesmen, "No, you have to buy it first. COME ON IT'S CHERRY RED AND CHICKS WILL LOVE YOU"

Cap was the potential buyer into the Jesus myth and "metaphysics" who got sold the lemon and is now the used car salesman. Sad fact is Cap doesn't want to fact the fact that this is what is really going on. Once you buy the car without inspection you are fucked.

In Massachusetts, we have a lemon law where if within 30 days, something goes wrong with the car you just bought, it's completely on the sellers shoulders to fix the problem for you or fully refund your purchase.  

unlike you're scenario above and unlike your thought process, i actually did my homework before buying the car.  You bought the car before doing the homework and now that you have it and let the lemon law expire, you're defending yourself so that others won't see you made a dumb choice and didn't think before acting.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:caposkia

Brian37 wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
On the contrary! I'm right in the same boat with you actually. I look forward to dying and I'm not fearful at all.

Which makes it easy for you to make political judgments in voting that affect wars that get OTHER people murdered. It is easy to murder other people when you don't see them as the same species. Your god character treats outsiders as a different species. Just as the god of the Jews and Muslims do. The same god.

Because that's what the Bible teaches... Jesus died for the world... except for those other species.. (B37 paraphrase)

Brian37 wrote:

I wish you and all believers of their  cosmic gang leader would not "look forward" to dying. Its a lot like the idiots who tailgate on the highway at 70mph who are more concerned with their destination, than getting there in one piece. These are the selfish idiots who put other's safety at risk due to their own selfishness.  If they had a hair trigger bomb attached to their front bumper, they would drive more carefully.

I would never claim to look forward to dying.  I love life.  Death is a consequence and an unpleasant one at that.  Granted we have a promising afterlife, but I have all of eternity to enjoy that... therefore, i want to enjoy life as is for as long as I can.

Brian37 wrote:

You might not fear death like we don't fear death, as far as pain and being a natural process, but unlike you we are not narcissistic in "looking forward" to getting past a fictional velvet ropes at the expense of "outsiders".

not every theist takes that point of view

Brian37 wrote:

How selfish of you, "I don't care what happens to you as long as I get my cookie, because my daddy loves me and will beat the shit out of you for not kissing his ass,"

You have to be out of your mind to expect me to respect such an absurd and SELFISH claim.

I wouldn't expect you to respect a shotgun if it was pointed at your head.  It's fun to watch you take a statement, then manipulate it so that it goes against your ideals to give yourself a base for any dispute.  You're very creative with that.  You should write fiction novels.  I'd read them.  

Cap, that quote was not aimed at you, it was the other Christian in this thread saying that he was looking forward to death so he could get his desert after dinner.  I find that selfish concept sick and divisive to humanity. I am not saying all believers in that myth buy into that selfishness. I wish more believers would not "look forward" to death, be they Christians, Muslims or Jews.

But since that book has words in it describing the emotional appeal of desert after an orgy of violence, it should not shock you that others claiming to believe in the same super hero, believe that. So your debate should be with this other "true Christian", not me.

i know that quote was not aimed at me.  I'm just making sure stereotypes are broken down.  i do debate with other "True Christians" all time.  A true Christian strives on such debates to reprove and correct themselves.  Another mistake you make is assuming "true Christians" don't recheck their understanding many times over just as you would with scientific evidence.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Good, now

Brian37 wrote:

Good, now explain to me what happens to me after I die, according to you and what you claim the bible says about what will happen to me after I die?

That is something that us "true Christians" debate all the time.  Are you saying right after you die, or eventually?   I'm assuming right after you die.  

From the research I've done into the OT and the NT and piecing all the context together in reference to death, we find there's not enough evidence in scripture to come to a sound conclusion as to exactly what happens right at death.  My understanding due to what is said in Revelation and the words used in Hebrew to describe death and the place where the dead go is that we sleep or rest until the day of the return of Christ as prophesied in Revelation.    Then we are resurrected, depending on your choices in life, namely whether you chose to accept the gift from Christ or not, you are either a part of the first resurrection or second.  

Brian37 wrote:

Right now, I have walked away from the position that any god exists, including yours.

really?!  i guess I didn't catch that from your posts. (just sarcasm, no offense)

Brian37 wrote:

But assuming your model, for argument's sake only, what happens to me?

Am I given the choice of saying to this God, "no thanks" without fear of retribution?

I believe that's ultimately what it comes down to.  Hell isn't what the churches had made it out to be, it's just he absence of God.  My understanding is that if you were face to face with God, you wouldn't make that choice because you'd understand all that needs to be understood.  You would understand that the absence of God is the absence of everything good and well.

Brian37 wrote:

Or do I have the shit beaten out of me forever for merely not wanting to hang out in his club?

I don't believe that's how it works, it comes down to a choice.  Absence or not

Brian37 wrote:

I don't see that as anything less than emotional black male like a spouse threatening their partner for choosing to leave them. That is the "shotgun" you yourself accept as being a bad thing.

I know you don't.  and you wont see anything different unless you want to.  "The truth cannot be told to you unless you're willing to hear it"  Passion

Brian37 wrote:

DONT try to wiggle out of this with "free will". There is no consent or questioning allowed on my part in this motif.

Ok 

Brian37 wrote:

Your god is the final lawgiver and the mere transgression of not wanting to hang out with him results in eternal torture. I cannot vote this god out of office. I cannot consent to his will. I cannot seek to change the laws you say he gave us. This is hardly moral and only amounts to "might makes right".

you're comparing God to the laws put forth in our country only hundreds of years ago.  Seriously?  is that the defense you want to hang onto?  How many kings in history were voted into office?

Brian37 wrote:

How many women in western society today would put up with a husband who said, "If you don't like the way I decorate the house, get the fuck out, and not only get the fuck out, I will hunt you down and beat the shit out of you forever". That is a fucked up concept of morality.

is that how it works?  and here I was starting to think you were giving in to conversation... only for a moment did I wonder if you and jcgadfly exchanged user names.

Brian37 wrote:

I don't believe in your comic book tyrant. I am calling it as I see it merely as a concept motif you are falsely claiming to be true.

Watering down the bible to accept this emotional kidnapping is sick. You really need to stop doing this to yourself.

who's watering it down? you are with dirty water, but that doesn't make what I'm saying any different.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: My understanding is

Quote:
My understanding is that if you were face to face with God, you wouldn't make that choice because you'd understand all that needs to be understood.  You would understand that the absence of God is the absence of everything good and well.I believe that's ultimately what it comes down to.  Hell isn't what the churches had made it out to be, it's just he absence of God.

So predictable. I bet you think I have never seen this one before.

That is back peddling. In the context of the bible this God character takes revenge on dissent. You are totally delusional to deny that.

Why all the violence and drama during life? If it was good enough a plan to keep us in line during life(which he seems to do a horrible job at), why not use the same tactic of fear and bribery in the alleged after life?

If nothing bad will happen to me after I die then there is no reason for me to "obey" this god now.

You are trying to downplay the reality of the violent text of the bible EVERY PART OF IT. This is a God you don't fuck with, and if violence was good enough for the OT and Revelations I don't see why this alleged God would stop being violent after our deaths.

Now again, I do not believe in your invisible brain claim. I am saying that the motif of the entire bible paints this lead character as a violent prick. If he behaves like a violent prick throughout the book, what makes you think an abusive prick would ever stop being violent?

I do not "submit" to absolute power. I don't care. If we are assuming your comic book god claim. I was FORCED into this life with no option. I was not asked before hand.

Now you say all God will do is like a game show host, "Thanks for playing but you get no parting gifts".

The problem is that I was forced without consent by this tyrant to be a guest on his game show. And his rule book is full of violence and genocide all over his self worship. And now you say after all the threats while I am alive, that he wont stalk me and beat the shit out of me after I step off stage?

Considering how many violent tantrums he throws you want me to take your word for it, much less that book?

I am sorry Cap, this is a horrible concept as a claim and you are abusing your own brain with this horrible superstition.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lets say I kidnap you as a

Lets say I kidnap you as a baby. And throughout your life I threaten you if you leave me, would you find that moral? Would letting you go at 18 change the fact that I kidnapped you?

If you went to a auto dealership and the car salesmen put a gun to your head and FORCED YOU by gunpoint to buy the car, would having the ability to sell it later change the fact that you were a victim of assault?

You are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

What you are doing to yourself with this old book of myth is allowing your own brain to be abused by the concepts dreamed up by tribal gang clubs who BACK THEN did write these characters as a way to keep people in line. Sell them a utopia, and they will gladly jump off the cliff and abuse themselves and others in search of a fictional utopia.

The REAL reality is that I am a product of sex and evolution. The REAL reality is that bad shit happens and good shit happens and there is no need for super heros and super villains.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
You sound like a salesman who says "you have to buy my product before I can describe it to you".

BINGO!

Yet Cap doesn't do that for other people's pet gods.

Used Car salesman, "Look, the car is shiny, cherry red, chicks will love you"

Potential buyer, "Can I test drive it?"

Salesman, "No, you have to buy it first"

Potential buyer, "Can I have it independently inspected?"

Salesmen, "No, you have to buy it first. COME ON IT'S CHERRY RED AND CHICKS WILL LOVE YOU"

Cap was the potential buyer into the Jesus myth and "metaphysics" who got sold the lemon and is now the used car salesman. Sad fact is Cap doesn't want to fact the fact that this is what is really going on. Once you buy the car without inspection you are fucked.

In Massachusetts, we have a lemon law where if within 30 days, something goes wrong with the car you just bought, it's completely on the sellers shoulders to fix the problem for you or fully refund your purchase.  

unlike you're scenario above and unlike your thought process, i actually did my homework before buying the car.  You bought the car before doing the homework and now that you have it and let the lemon law expire, you're defending yourself so that others won't see you made a dumb choice and didn't think before acting.

Cap, that law wouldn't apply here.

See, that only works if the car exists - the scenario says you have to pay full price for a description of the car.

That's why I used it. You and other Christians are saying you have to believe in God fully before you can tell us anything about him. Not only are you wanting us to buy the car without seeing it, you want us to pay you based solely on your word that you even have a car.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, as we speak now, if we are going to assume for argument's sake only that your "all loving" "all powerful" super hero, sat with folded arms, and did NOTHING to stop a  father from driving his car into a canal with his toddler son who DROWNED. The son was KIDNAPPED under the watch of your alleged super hero and MURDERED while your super hero was watching.

THIS IS THE GOD YOU WORSHIP.

a God that allows people to make their own choices.  What a terrible concept!

let's put it this way, there's no fence here, would you like to have choice or no choice.  No choice, you're miserable, but no wrong happens in the world, choice, you're happy because you can do what you want and pay natural consequences, cause others harm, and there's problems in the world because people make dumb choices.  

If God chose to stop the bad you're describing, then he would also have to not allow you to say anything negative about him, or not believe in him regardless of your perspective or thoughts.  

you want to blame God for wrongs like above.  Why not look at the person first?  What choices did that father make before crashing his car with his son in it... Was he drinking.  Should God intervene if he's stupid enough to drink then drive with his son?  that would be a choice the father made, yes his son pays the consequences, but then again, who suffers more, the son who drowned, or the father who has to live with the knowledge that he killed his own son for the rest of his life?   

your examples are great, but to assume God having a good heart and conscience would intervene for every stupid choice a person makes in the world is ignorant.  God being a good hearted loving God would allow you to make a choice, then reap the consequences in life or live it as a life lesson for others.  Are you angry at God because people get raped, or are you angry at the rapist?  Assuming God is real.

If you're angry at God, then you're telling me the rapist is innocent because God allowed him to do it and that makes it ok for him.  If you're angry at the rapist, then you understand that God had nothing to do with it and has no blame in the situation and that it was completely on the rapists shoulders to make that choice and to ruin another persons life.   Again, there's no fence here, either God is at fault for allowing it to happen, or the rapist is at fault, can't be both.  

Brian37 wrote:

I think you need to drop this bullshit idea that good and bad are of some divine origin, and simply accept the reality that good and bad are the result of our natural existence. I can accept the bad happening without a puppeteer, without wanting bad things to happen, like this. But as soon as you postulate a fictional cosmic security guard who sits with folded arms while an innocent child DROWNS is sick.

that's your idea of what happens.  You're looking at God as if we need him to protect us.  or that we need him for explaining things.  You keep claiming you don't need God to understand things.  i don't disagree with you.

Brian37 wrote:

YOUR DADDY WATCHES MURDER AND DISEASE AND WAR AND SITS WITH FOLDED ARMS WHILE WE AS A SPECIES SUFFER and what do you do, like a battered spouse, you thank this monster for providing us such horrible conditions to live in.

Read Revelation.  Are you sure he sits with folded arms, or is everyone who does wrong on probation until judgement is passed?  You are the same person who complained that God was evil for destroying people in the OT for doing wrong and yet here you're complaining that he does nothing.  Which is it?   Are you contradicting yourself?

Brian37 wrote:

Your "god" cannot be called moral when it has the power to stop such horrors and does not and then blames us for what he didn't have to set up in the first place.

I on the other hand don't need your childish immoral Santa claims. This poor child died as the result of human behavior, not a cosmic super hero vs a cosmic super villain.

If you want to worship such a selective inept deadbeat, be my guest, but I will laugh in your face every time you try to pass such a character off as being moral.

You're funny.  i know you're trying in your own way to put into perspective that we suffer from our own choices and that God is not needed.  I agree.. .however that doesn't mean he's not there.  

you're trying to turn God into the murderer, the rapist, etc.. because he didn't stop it... by what you said above, you're basically taking all the blame off the person who actually did it.  Are you saying that with God in the world, everyone's actually innocent of their own choices?

Here, cap. let me fix some things for you in the name of truth.

1. "A God that allows people to make their own choices (within an unchanging plane that you don't know about and only he knows the results of your actions).  What a terrible concept!". There, that's more honest.

2. Did you really just compare a child dying in a car accident (whatever the reason - still not the child's fault) to God not getting an ego massage?

3. God can't be blamed for the rapist? Whoops, that divine plan just got in the way again. You believe that God does or allows everything for a reason but that rapist was acting on his own?

4. You don't need god for protection and understanding? Why do you guys ask him for it? You don't need God to help you discern his will for you but you ask for it anyway?

5. So God is just waiting for the afterlife so he can punish all the bad guys in one fell swoop? That really helps the victims - especially when the bad guys can ask God for forgiveness while man is punishing (if they're caught and they get to meet their victims in heaven (assuming the victims aren't being punished for not believing in God).

6. If Brian is trying to blame God for his inaction, you seem to be defending him for his plan that allowed the evil actions and actors to come onto the world. That immutable plan of his just keeps biting you in the butt, doesn't it?

— George Carlin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Cap, you want to discuss evidences that you admit you don't have. What's the point of that?

No, you want to discuss evidences no one could logically have whether God existed or not.  I want to discuss reasonable evidences that would work for you to discuss.  what subject matter, then we'll narrow it down from there.

jcgadfly wrote:

The best you seem to have is your assumption that you understand the metaphysical based on what you believe an ancient book and those who claim to speak for a deity have told you about it. Feel free to take away what you will when you describe me - I tend to doubt Christian honesty anyway.

Have I yet given you a reason to doubt my honesty?  

you really aren't the jcgadfly I've been talking to.  Where he and what have you done with him?!!!!  The discussion as of late has been without substance because the participating conversationalists seem to care less about discussion on reasonable grounds... why should I waste my time.  I have other forums that I'd rather take my time on that actually have people who want to discuss the details without backing down when it gets difficult... and i do.  I'm still on here to, well, mess around for humor's sake until someone expresses that they want to have a serious conversation, then I'll talk to them.  usually those people end up discussing with me on a separate forum because ti's just easier.

jcgadfly wrote:

Non-believers (at least those I've seen here) don't see any evidences for God - you claim to have them and want to discuss them but you don't present them. Instead you dismiss those who ask for them by saying "You don't understand metaphysics". You sound like a salesman who says "you have to buy my product before I can describe it to you".

Really, i want jcgadfly back.  

I only claimed that person didn't understand metaphysics when he defended himself in such a way that proved the statement.  I never generally claimed that and would not use that as a defense and you know it.  I also dismiss that person because their defense is insulting to everyone's intelligence.  

1. There aren't reasonable evidences - I think that's the point. Metaphysics that are based on faith (as any attempt to determine the nature of God would have to be) can't be discussed using reason. You want me to pay full price for the description of the car again.

2. I have had too many people lie to me in the name of their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on this forum and other places to be the nice guy anymore. If it doesn't apply to you don't paint yourself with it.

3. When you accuse someone of not understanding <x> and provide no method for the understanding of <x>, It looks a lot like a dismiss al and a dodge.

— George Carlin

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:3. When you

jcgadfly wrote:

3. When you accuse someone of not understanding <x> and provide no method for the understanding of <x>, It looks a lot like a dismiss al and a dodge.

Ahhhh, yes!

The 'insanity plea'.

Which goes like this:

"No, you don't understand!!! They're the ones who say they don't see what's there ( ghosts, goblins, fairies, leprechauns, aliens, gods et al..), they're the ones that are crazy! Not me!!

I see them!!!!

Can't you see???!!"  

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cap, you would have more of

Cap, you would have more of a case IF in your alleged god scheme, I had been asked and consulted BEFORE I was born, if I wanted to be born. Since I had no choice in that, that DOES NOT constitute consent.

Even without a god, which is the reality, I had no choice in my parents having sex. Nature doen't require all the brain twisting you do to yourself nor the self serving narscisstic powermonger comic book super hero you desire.

You can cop out to "free will", but the problem with that is that in your god model, HE allowed this. You gloss over the starting point, not because there is a god, but because you have to have it both ways in order to swallow this.

In reality, WE do hold people accountable, weither it is a mere mistake, or mallicious intent. Considering that your god (according to your claim he exists) threw me into this life without my permission, and subjected me to the imperfect home he allowed, that makes him inept or a deadbeat or mallicious. If he is all powerful, then he the fact that he won't take responsibility for what he set up, makes him malicious.

You refuse to hold this fictitious character accountable because of your desire to have a super hero.

Once you buy, "He works in mysterious ways"

Or, "God can do what he wants"

You don't have to hold him accountable. Thus you have blindly abdicated your own scrutiny to another.

It is more understandable when a kid does it because they don't know any better and have to learn to be skeptical. But when you are an adult and you give up your questioning authority, you might as well live under Kim Jong Ill and have "faith" in him.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Promises of

Brian37 wrote:

Promises of utopia is all you have fallen for. The worst part is that you refuse to see the bible for what it really is. It is a collection of human writings that reflect the "Lord" kings of polytheism and your monotheism, written for the tribal kingships of that time. You worship a dictator AS A CONCEPT, a motif.

In reality, in pluralistic societies, we consent to be governed and can change our leaders when we don't like them. Your fictional super hero is not movable nor can it be reasoned with.

So if you want to admit that your alleged god cannot be voted out of office WITHOUT throwing a fit, the only apt description of such a character would be DICTATOR!

You look at it politically, he's the one who created you... So you'd need to look at it as your parents.  You have no say as to who your parents are and you can't choose to vote them out of parenthood just because you don't agree with them.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Lee2216

Brian37 wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

No I do not. Your god is not an elected official. He wasn't voted into office and cannot be voted out of office. There is no such thing as a "kind dictator". Even the Queen of England is a mere figurehead today and if she tried to pull the "I can do whatever I want shit" like your god character gets away with, she would be ousted if not assassinated. She a least now accepts her decoration role.

When your model includes a being that can change it's laws or abdicate power to those who whom he governs through advise and consent,  you'd have a much more compassionate model. I'd still have a problem with that because it still claims a magical invisible super brain. But at least that would be less of a monster.

The God of the bible is unmovable and unwilling to give up it's own power. That is the definition of a tyrant.

i don't know... just a thought, but I think any king who can claim he created everything that he rules over and designed it from his own mind can be unmovable in power over that entity that he created.  Just like parents

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Take your beer

Brian37 wrote:

Take your beer goggles off and READ every word of your book without skipping over the nasty parts.

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but just to clarify, i don't, so that wouldn't apply to all believers

Brian37 wrote:

This character you believe in DOES NOT take kindly to dissent and treats outsiders as trash to burn. He is not someone you can ask, "Hey do you mind doing this differently" or " It's time you stepped down and give someone else a shot at governing".

he does not take kindly to lawbreakers... or as you call them, outsiders.. you know, just like an American would treat an "outsider"  that was against our country.

Brian37 wrote:

The bible even says "I am a jealous god" and the first commandment isn't about any rule of compassion for others, it is a DEMAND that you worship him. THAT is your alleged God's top priority. Not even the second commandment is about compassion, but arbitrary rules he set up about his worship.

and yet you defend yourself by saying that Christians are believers because it appeals to them... interesting how you like to contradict yourself at every turn.

Brian37 wrote:

AGAIN, I do not believe one word of this book that was written over 1,000 year period by 40 authors with books left out. I am saying that this character is hardly selfless or compassionate. And the climax of the book is a final bloody battle over whom he loves the best where most of humanity ends up in the garbage bin to be burned.

This is a perfect manifesto for anyone wanting to head up the mafia or totalitarian state. Promise them a utopia and pick their pockets at the same time and then threaten them and bully them when they get out of line. It is a strong armed protection racket based on emotional blackmail.

are you sure?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Brian37 wrote:

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but just to clarify, i don't, so that wouldn't apply to all believers

Brian37 wrote:

he does not take kindly to lawbreakers... or as you call them, outsiders.. you know, just like an American would treat an "outsider"  that was against our country.

Brian37 wrote:

and yet you defend yourself by saying that Christians are believers because it appeals to them... interesting how you like to contradict yourself at every turn.

Brian37 wrote:

are you sure?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

are you sure?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Don't

Brian37 wrote:

Don't project yourself on me. I walked away from it because it ceased to make any sense. Not because of "graven images" or 'Idols". That is the crap you believe, not me.

Since when did I claim to believe in graven images and idols?  i get why you walked away, but you care not to think... maybe that's what caused you to walk away.

Brian37 wrote:

"You didn't worship god right, that's why you left". Yea, so the fuck what, you and every other believer says that. Your claims are not anymore special than others holding your label than they are when Muslims or Jew make their claims.

is that what I said?  sorry, I meant you didn't learn the Bible, you were taught doctrine, there are many ways to worship God and it's hard to do it wrong unless it breaks the laws.

Brian37 wrote:

YOU celebrate a book whose head character's alleged son dies on a torture device. You worship a blood cult.

ok, and you live in a material world, so you must be a material girl... or guy.

Brian37 wrote:

You value torture as a problem solving tactic. Everywhere in that book this alleged god allows or commits acts of torture to correct human behavior.

that must be it.  

now who's taking out the parts that appeal to their belief?  

Brian37 wrote:

You cant face that so you project your insecurities on me. You buy into an immoral book of myth whose dictator character uses violence as his conflict resolution tactic.

insecurities, aren't you the one who bailed once again on a progressive conversation?  What happened to your plagiarism defense

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Lee2216

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Looks like another case of "You have to buy my product before I can describe it to you. Oh and all sales are final."

of course he may have been looking for it and it's likely not where he was looking.  If you're looking in the wrong spot, you're not going to find what you're looking for... 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

of course he may have been looking for it and it's likely not where he was looking.  If you're looking in the wrong spot, you're not going to find what you're looking for... 

But you and Lee are two of the people selling the product - don't you know where you keep it?

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:What you

redneF wrote:

What you describe as 'truth' is a metaphor that is a rhetorical, and hyperbolic fallacy device insidiously used by dogmatists and preachers, to 'hypnotize' weak minded minions, and is used interchangeably with 'faith', and 'belief' which are used interchangeably with 'hope'.

maybe that's how you use the word.  What I understand "Truth" to be is in the ultimate perspective, which means regardless of whether you believe in X or not and X is there, it will always be there no matter how much you don't want it to be or vise versa, as much as you want X to be there and it's not, it will never be there.  In other words, the truth is what's real regardless of what we think is real and regardless of what defenses we have to support what we think is real.  The "true" challenge is to understand this ultimate truth and know what it is.. if it was so cut and dry as you and many atheists seem to want it to be, the debates and websites like this one would not need to exist.  

redneF wrote:

You have a 'hope'?

Good for fcuking you.

thank you, pretty depressing without some hope... you don't have it? i dont' mean for God, I mean just hope.  Most people in general would not deny having hope

redneF wrote:

Now piss off, and go into your own corner and jerk off to the god you 'hope' is there.

ok... btw, what's your god... everyone has something that they believe in.  is it money?  people?  or are you one that sleeps with a shotgun under your bed.

redneF wrote:

granted I figure this isnt' aimed at me directly, but the other theist, however didn't you put yourself into this forum?  if you're on here, you put yourself in it, which means you have the freedom to get yourself out of it at any time.  Don't blame others for your own actions.

redneF wrote:

'Facts' and 'Truth' are not interchangeable for your misappropriation of the word 'truth', and dishonest bastardization of the english language.

...so... if i'm pissing in someone's ear... and it actually is raining at the same time.. should I still not tell them it's raining?

redneF wrote:

The god you worship would be the biggest and most powerless pvssy ever to exist, if he were real.

But that ain't gonna happen, if society keeps doing it's job, and pushes forward even further with secularism, and puts dogma back into the voodoo caves where it belongs.

Society just placates dogmatics, and establishes a more rational means of co-existing, and evolving as a species.

you do seem to have hope after all.. in people.. sorry to tell you your hope does not hold up with the evidence.  Society is mostly believers, not atheists.

redneF wrote:

The courts do.

nah, even they are manipulated

redneF wrote:

We've won.

wrong God.

redneF wrote:

Deal with it...

I do... why are you so bothered?

yes, I know this was aimed at the other theist, but i figured  you were applying your cynicism to all believers.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote: My

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
My understanding is that if you were face to face with God, you wouldn't make that choice because you'd understand all that needs to be understood.  You would understand that the absence of God is the absence of everything good and well.I believe that's ultimately what it comes down to.  Hell isn't what the churches had made it out to be, it's just he absence of God.

So predictable. I bet you think I have never seen this one before.

wrong yet again, but as usual, i bet it still means nothing to you because you don't want it to.   Do you even understand why Christians would keep saying that to you?  If it's the same Sunday School answer you've been giving, then save it.  You'd be wasting your time.

Brian37 wrote:

That is back peddling. In the context of the bible this God character takes revenge on dissent. You are totally delusional to deny that.

Why all the violence and drama during life? If it was good enough a plan to keep us in line during life(which he seems to do a horrible job at), why not use the same tactic of fear and bribery in the alleged after life?

you really do think that in order to have a god exist it would ultimately be "needed" and not just there because he made it all?  and here i thought that it was just an excuse you were using for your defense.

Brian37 wrote:

If nothing bad will happen to me after I die then there is no reason for me to "obey" this god now.

obey?  do you even care to find out why "obeying" is not what God wants from you?

Brian37 wrote:

You are trying to downplay the reality of the violent text of the bible EVERY PART OF IT. This is a God you don't fuck with, and if violence was good enough for the OT and Revelations I don't see why this alleged God would stop being violent after our deaths.

what you see as violent in physical life is a consequence, and not permanent.  you are trying to downplay reasoning and the not so violent parts... who am i kidding, you're trying to ignore reasoning altogether.  it's devistating to your case.

Brian37 wrote:

Now again, I do not believe in your invisible brain claim. I am saying that the motif of the entire bible paints this lead character as a violent prick. If he behaves like a violent prick throughout the book, what makes you think an abusive prick would ever stop being violent?

I do not "submit" to absolute power. I don't care. If we are assuming your comic book god claim. I was FORCED into this life with no option. I was not asked before hand.

you sure about that?  you were there before your birth to assure that you didn't make a choice?

all disputes aside for a moment, if you're taking that perspective there are stories that suggest you do have a choice and beyond that, there are people, without knowledge of those stories claiming they remember being asked.  

yea, this is way beyond you, i get it, don't fret, you'll be fine.  just keep believing in yourself.

Brian37 wrote:

Now you say all God will do is like a game show host, "Thanks for playing but you get no parting gifts".

The problem is that I was forced without consent by this tyrant to be a guest on his game show. And his rule book is full of violence and genocide all over his self worship. And now you say after all the threats while I am alive, that he wont stalk me and beat the shit out of me after I step off stage?

parents.  you must blame your parents just as much then be it that they made the choice as well. 

Brian37 wrote:

Considering how many violent tantrums he throws you want me to take your word for it, much less that book?

I am sorry Cap, this is a horrible concept as a claim and you are abusing your own brain with this horrible superstition.

maybe so... so show me... as i've asked you many many times on this forum and you've failed to do repeatedly, show me why I should not accept this belief.  I am open to logic and reasoning... what you have given me so far is neither, only rants that don't support anything.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:That's why I

jcgadfly wrote:

That's why I used it. You and other Christians are saying you have to believe in God fully before you can tell us anything about him. Not only are you wanting us to buy the car without seeing it, you want us to pay you based solely on your word that you even have a car.

no.  I'm saying you need to accept the existence of a metaphysical realm before we can even begin to discuss God or which god is the True Almighty God.  We can discuss what I believe till we're both blue in the face, but because you can't accept a metaphysical existence or anything outside the physical as we know it, all of it is going to mean nothing to you.  Therefore, why bother trying to explain a god to you that you're going to view as nothing more than another Santa Clause?  It would make sense to me to start at square 1, which is why believe in a spiritual existence in the first place, or intelligent design..etc... whatever angle from that basis you'd want to take.  

The thing is, most atheists try to compare Christianity to other religions as if that really makes us reflect on our own belief ignoring the fact that many Christians have already done that in their walk to come to the belief they have.  Beyond that, any Christian that is ballsy enough to come onto a site like this and talk has more than likely done their homework.  

Anyone who has gone to a seminary would know that one of the things they teach is religions of the world.  Some take it from a bias perspective, but not all.  Most will take it from a completely neutral  point of view.  

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

no.  I'm saying you need to accept the existence of a metaphysical realm before we can even begin to discuss God or which god is the True Almighty God.  We can discuss what I believe till we're both blue in the face, but because you can't accept a metaphysical existence or anything outside the physical as we know it, all of it is going to mean nothing to you.  Therefore, why bother trying to explain a god to you that you're going to view as nothing more than another Santa Clause?  It would make sense to me to start at square 1, which is why believe in a spiritual existence in the first place, or intelligent design..etc... whatever angle from that basis you'd want to take.  

The thing is, most atheists try to compare Christianity to other religions as if that really makes us reflect on our own belief ignoring the fact that many Christians have already done that in their walk to come to the belief they have.  Beyond that, any Christian that is ballsy enough to come onto a site like this and talk has more than likely done their homework.  

Anyone who has gone to a seminary would know that one of the things they teach is religions of the world.  Some take it from a bias perspective, but not all.  Most will take it from a completely neutral  point of view.  

Again, I have to buy the car before you can tell me about it. I have to accept that a metaphysical realm exists before you can show me reasonable evidences of it.

I can't have an neutral view if I have to agree with your view before we can talk.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Here, cap.

jcgadfly wrote:

ok go for it.

jcgadfly wrote:

1. "A God that allows people to make their own choices (within an unchanging plane that you don't know about and only he knows the results of your actions).  What a terrible concept!". There, that's more honest.

wait.. we don't know about the unchanging plane that is clearly stated in the Bible??? and uh... are you telling me you never know the result of actions you take?  Do you have amnesia?  

or is it a foreknowledge that you're referring to.  in that case, are you telling me that you can't perceive the results of many actions you take?  What is your basis for your statement... sounds to me as if it's strictly opinion.

jcgadfly wrote:

2. Did you really just compare a child dying in a car accident (whatever the reason - still not the child's fault) to God not getting an ego massage?

I debunked a poor excuse for disbelief

jcgadfly wrote:

3. God can't be blamed for the rapist? Whoops, that divine plan just got in the way again. You believe that God does or allows everything for a reason but that rapist was acting on his own?

i believe you can't blame 2 persons for one persons actions.  It's an either or, either that person acted on their own initiative and is completely guilty, or there's a puppet master making that person do it, which then the puppet master's guilty.  Either way, both can't be guilty at the same time, it's not logical or reasonable.  I'm saying that Brian is trying to blame God, which would indicate then that the rapist is innocent... therefore he should be let go because it's all Gods fault that he allowed it to happen.  otherwise, it was a choice.  

Brian is concerned that God sits back and lets things happen, yet he forgets the conversation about how God doesn't want to be our puppet master and is not going to dictate what we can and cannot do.  He has always allowed choice and therefore isn't ever going to take that away, even when we make bad choices.  

jcgadfly wrote:

4. You don't need god for protection and understanding? Why do you guys ask him for it? You don't need God to help you discern his will for you but you ask for it anyway?

you're confusing the conversation about needing God to explain how things work in our physical existence.  The biggest excuse coming my way is that God is not needed for explanation of existence.  I'm saying maybe not.  As far as wisdom and understanding, he of course would know all of it so of course we'd ask him for it.  I would not typically ask God for discernment of his will, i understand how he works and that I will find out.  I usually pray that he continues to work in my life more and more each day.  

What protection would you be referring to?  in situations that are out of our control and we feel unsafe, of course we'd ask God for protection, we know that we can't do anything about it and that he does.  I don't always understand why things are let go like they are, but I do understand that choices he makes are what's best for us.  I know this because I know God.  Sure, that seems like a generic answer, but then again, though you might question why your parents had made choices that you didn't exactly favor and in fact may have been angry about, deep down didn't you know that they were still making the best choice for you... or at least did you deduce that at some point?  I'm assuming you had a good set of parents, if not, picture the perfect set and think about the fact that their children would see actions they take as unjust, but in reality it was the best choice for them.  

jcgadfly wrote:

5. So God is just waiting for the afterlife so he can punish all the bad guys in one fell swoop? That really helps the victims - especially when the bad guys can ask God for forgiveness while man is punishing (if they're caught and they get to meet their victims in heaven (assuming the victims aren't being punished for not believing in God).

Where are you getting this.  it's starting to sound like opinionated rambling.  If you're going to be that specific about how God treats those who "dont' believe or do wrong", i"m going to need to see some references to what you're referring to.  

jcgadfly wrote:

6. If Brian is trying to blame God for his inaction, you seem to be defending him for his plan that allowed the evil actions and actors to come onto the world. That immutable plan of his just keeps biting you in the butt, doesn't it?

No.  I'm defending God for not dictating our lives.  He lets us make our own choices.  He does that because he wants us to love him, not "obey" him like Brain thinks.  It is up to us to actually get to know him.  By getting to know God, you understand who he is and love him for it.  How could I love a God that does X, Y, and Z?  I understand He knows best and is doing what is best for his creation.  

just think, do you lock your children in their room and only let them out on a leash or do they actually get to make their own choices?  And in making their own choices, do they make bad ones?  

Now on the grander scale, peoples children are out there raping others and murdering others.  Sounds like Brain wants to hunt down the parents because they allowed their children to go out and make a choice.  Again, the rapist is innocent because someone else let them do it.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Here, cap.

jcgadfly wrote:

ok go for it.

jcgadfly wrote:

wait.. we don't know about the unchanging plane that is clearly stated in the Bible??? and uh... are you telling me you never know the result of actions you take?  Do you have amnesia?  

or is it a foreknowledge that you're referring to.  in that case, are you telling me that you can't perceive the results of many actions you take?  What is your basis for your statement... sounds to me as if it's strictly opinion.

jcgadfly wrote:

I debunked a poor excuse for disbelief

jcgadfly wrote:

i believe you can't blame 2 persons for one persons actions.  It's an either or, either that person acted on their own initiative and is completely guilty, or there's a puppet master making that person do it, which then the puppet master's guilty.  Either way, both can't be guilty at the same time, it's not logical or reasonable.  I'm saying that Brian is trying to blame God, which would indicate then that the rapist is innocent... therefore he should be let go because it's all Gods fault that he allowed it to happen.  otherwise, it was a choice.  

Brian is concerned that God sits back and lets things happen, yet he forgets the conversation about how God doesn't want to be our puppet master and is not going to dictate what we can and cannot do.  He has always allowed choice and therefore isn't ever going to take that away, even when we make bad choices.  

jcgadfly wrote:

you're confusing the conversation about needing God to explain how things work in our physical existence.  The biggest excuse coming my way is that God is not needed for explanation of existence.  I'm saying maybe not.  As far as wisdom and understanding, he of course would know all of it so of course we'd ask him for it.  I would not typically ask God for discernment of his will, i understand how he works and that I will find out.  I usually pray that he continues to work in my life more and more each day.  

What protection would you be referring to?  in situations that are out of our control and we feel unsafe, of course we'd ask God for protection, we know that we can't do anything about it and that he does.  I don't always understand why things are let go like they are, but I do understand that choices he makes are what's best for us.  I know this because I know God.  Sure, that seems like a generic answer, but then again, though you might question why your parents had made choices that you didn't exactly favor and in fact may have been angry about, deep down didn't you know that they were still making the best choice for you... or at least did you deduce that at some point?  I'm assuming you had a good set of parents, if not, picture the perfect set and think about the fact that their children would see actions they take as unjust, but in reality it was the best choice for them.  

jcgadfly wrote:

Where are you getting this.  it's starting to sound like opinionated rambling.  If you're going to be that specific about how God treats those who "dont' believe or do wrong", i"m going to need to see some references to what you're referring to.  

jcgadfly wrote:

No.  I'm defending God for not dictating our lives.  He lets us make our own choices.  He does that because he wants us to love him, not "obey" him like Brain thinks.  It is up to us to actually get to know him.  By getting to know God, you understand who he is and love him for it.  How could I love a God that does X, Y, and Z?  I understand He knows best and is doing what is best for his creation.  

just think, do you lock your children in their room and only let them out on a leash or do they actually get to make their own choices?  And in making their own choices, do they make bad ones?  

Now on the grander scale, peoples children are out there raping others and murdering others.  Sounds like Brain wants to hunt down the parents because they allowed their children to go out and make a choice.  Again, the rapist is innocent because someone else let them do it.

so when are you going to start fixing things for me in the name of truth???  Sounds like you asked more questions rather than fixing things

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: But you and

jcgadfly wrote:

But you and Lee are two of the people selling the product - don't you know where you keep it?

first of all, we're not selling anything, just informing.  second, of course we know where we keep it, that's why we still believe.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

I'm sorry. I do not follow.  Why would one need to posit the existence of a metaphysical realm before one could discuss God, the subject's existence or alternative. Assuming that God lives in a metaphysical realm it would be demonstrated in the demonstration of there being a God unless that God did not live in a metaphysical realm but in another type of realm. You would bother explaining a God to show that He is more than just another Santa Claus. Comparing Christianity to other religions is fair in the very fact you do not as a Christian believe in the claims of Islam , Hinduism, etc.; is the reason they, atheists, and others do not believe in Christianity. I have been to Bible College and Seminary and done comparative religion. The point is that you do not believe in Hinduism because you do not believe its claims hold up. In the same way everyone except those who believe in Christianity do not believe its claims hold up. The basis to determine what holds up is evidence. Many systems can be designed that are rational within themselves or sometimes from without. That does not mean they are valid.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Again, I

jcgadfly wrote:

Again, I have to buy the car before you can tell me about it.

no, I expect you to do the research.  Sounds to me like you really don't want the car though, so why bother right?

jcgadfly wrote:

I have to accept that a metaphysical realm exists before you can show me reasonable evidences of it.

I can't have an neutral view if I have to agree with your view before we can talk.

you can have a neutral view, but you're all over the place.  You're asking me questions that haven't much to do with what you will accept... at least it seems.  i'm asking you to talk about what you would accept if in fact this metaphysical realm and the Almighty exists.  You can be skeptical all you want and you can battle the grounds, but it's like trying to give an engineering final exam when you yourself don't even know what questions to ask.   You're asking me questions that are obviously not making progress on either end.  What questions can you ask, or what topics can we discuss that you would consider to be a likely, reasonable angle to take that you would accept if my belief is true?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

first of all, we're not selling anything, just informing.  second, of course we know where we keep it, that's why we still believe.

But we have to believe hook, line and sinker before you can tell us about it?

I'm waiting for you to inform before I can make an informed decision. You want me to make the decision before I am informed.

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:I'm sorry. I

TGBaker wrote:

I'm sorry. I do not follow.  Why would one need to posit the existence of a metaphysical realm before one could discuss God, the subject's existence or alternative.

well, I guess discussion alone you wouldn't need to, but if you expect to get anything out of it we'd need to start from the beginning.  e.g.  I could discuss Calculus with you, but if you don't know how to add, it's going to mean nothing to you and you're going to get nothing from the conversation.

TGBaker wrote:

Assuming that God lives in a metaphysical realm it would be demonstrated in the demonstration of there being a God unless that God did not live in a metaphysical realm but in another type of realm.

you would think so, but in discussing God, the discussion turns into a comparison of gods and religions vs. discussing the existence thereof.  thus leading to a discussion that means nothing because in comparing gods, we are not discussing the existence of those gods.

TGBaker wrote:

You would bother explaining a God to show that He is more than just another Santa Claus.

sure I would

TGBaker wrote:

Comparing Christianity to other religions is fair in the very fact you do not as a Christian believe in the claims of Islam , Hinduism, etc.; is the reason they, atheists, and others do not believe in Christianity.

Sure, I get your angle, however, any attempt at calling the Bible on contradictory statements or false claims has come up short every time, where as I can point to specific falsifications and contradictions in other religions without dispute.  I can also point to a source for starting the other religions and specific source (singular) for writing up the scripts that make up the following vs. Christianity which has many authors not familiar with each other congruent in context and understanding.  

TGBaker wrote:

I have been to Bible College and Seminary and done comparative religion.

GREAT! you're someone I'll enjoy talking to

TGBaker wrote:

The point is that you do not believe in Hinduism because you do not believe its claims hold up. In the same way everyone except those who believe in Christianity do not believe its claims hold up. The basis to determine what holds up is evidence.

I have offered to discuss "evidences" with anyone.  I only ask that they pick the focus and we go from there.  So far the focus has been on evidences that would be illogical to consider for the topic at hand.  not because it doesn't work for me, but because it's simply, scientifically, not logical.  

TGBaker wrote:

Many systems can be designed that are rational within themselves or sometimes from without. That does not mean they are valid.

of course not, which is why I welcome science, history, archeology, etc. into the picture.  most try to use it to disprove, but of course it is widely known that God cannot be disproved through any means. Unless of course you have something new to bring to the table.  

... to add to that, just because you think it's the truth doesn't mean it is and the truth cannot be told to you unless you're willing to hear it.  

So where do you want to start?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:redneF

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

maybe that's how you use the word.  What I understand "Truth" to be is in the ultimate perspective, which means regardless of whether you believe in X or not and X is there, it will always be there no matter how much you don't want it to be or vise versa, as much as you want X to be there and it's not, it will never be there.  In other words, the truth is what's real regardless of what we think is real and regardless of what defenses we have to support what we think is real.  The "true" challenge is to understand this ultimate truth and know what it is.. if it was so cut and dry as you and many atheists seem to want it to be, the debates and websites like this one would not need to exist.  

Fcuk can you people obfuscate.

I just said that.

You people have 'hope'.

You don't have anything else. So you willingly substitute 'hope' for any level of knowledge and certainty.

caposkia wrote:
redneF wrote:

You have a 'hope'?

Good for fcuking you.

thank you, pretty depressing without some hope...

I'm not desperate.

That's why I don't 'hope' that a god exists.

I can emotionally cope with anything.

I'm rational.

You're attitude exemplifies extreme insecurity and weakness.

You're pathetic.

caposkia wrote:
you don't have it?

Never needed hope.

Opportunity is adequate for me.

We are not all created equal.

And I'm thankful that we're not.

It gives me opportunity to be better, more successful than others.

I'm exceptional at most everything, in comparison to most people.

So, I'm confident in my abilities, and accept my powerlessness against the universe, and can fully accept that there are always people, or things that will get the better of me.

And I can deal with those 'Universal Truths'.

Including eternal death.

caposkia wrote:
i dont' mean for God, I mean just hope.  Most people in general would not deny having hope

I'm not like most people. And I'm glad I'm not.

I model myself after people who have extremely positive attitudes, problem solving and coping strategies.

caposkia wrote:
redneF wrote:

ok... btw, what's your god... everyone has something that they believe in.  

I have everything I need for inspiration, from my fellow mortal man (sic), and from observing nature.

I don't need anything supernatural.

I'm not desperate for anything like that, at all.

caposkia wrote:
is it money?  

Money is just something I like.

It affords me security, and I can get cool stuff with it.

caposkia wrote:
people?  

I not only like (certain) people, I love them deeply, and benefit tremendously from surrounding myself with them, and sharing with them.

The time I spend with people I care deeply for, become my fondest memories, that stay with me forever, and are the most valuable thing in the world for me.

There's nothing that money can buy, that even comes close.

I wouldn't trade my experiences, love, and fond memories of some people, for anything in this world.

caposkia wrote:
or are you one that sleeps with a shotgun under your bed.

What for?

You make no sense...

caposkia wrote:
redneF wrote:

granted I figure this isnt' aimed at me directly, but the other theist, however didn't you put yourself into this forum?  if you're on here, you put yourself in it, which means you have the freedom to get yourself out of it at any time.  Don't blame others for your own actions.

I'm not complaining about anything I've done.

I just want freaks like you to STFU, so that I don't have to resort to taking matters into my own hands.

Capiche?

caposkia wrote:
redneF wrote:

...so... if i'm pissing in someone's ear... and it actually is raining at the same time.. should I still not tell them it's raining?

It's not raining 'gods' at all, you fool.

You just 'hope' there are gods.

caposkia wrote:
redneF wrote:

you do seem to have hope after all.. in people.. sorry to tell you your hope does not hold up with the evidence.  Society is mostly believers, not atheists.

I don't care what people believe. Neither do advanced cultures and societies.

You might think you have 'strength' in your numbers, but you do not 'rule' anything but your own imaginations.

We (as a society) are not a 'gods' loyal 'subjects'.

That goes against our 'individual rights'.

Which you should be thankful for.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

The courts do.

nah, even they are manipulated

Ya, that's why we still believe the sun revolves around the earth, and why creation is taught in schools, and why we still have slaves, and women are submissive, why women wear burkas, why we still burn witches at the stake, why the President leads us in prayer, why gays will never marry, why we can never abort a fetus, why contraceptives are evil, why the wicked are left to die of disease.

Ya, you guys sure are tough to beat...

Your theism (sickness and disease) is being eradicated from government, and government institutions.

It's not up to 'god'.

It's up to the 'people' (man).

We are gods.

Not 'him'.

We do not take 'him' seriously, at all. Not even 'his' existence.

The most advanced nations and modern cultures are not based on 'theocracy', they are based on 'democracy'  (rule of the people).

We are the gods, that render what your imagination hopes for, redundant and counterproductive.

We fight for 'human rights' and 'individual rights', not for insane tyranny from mythical gods.

You're 'god' is becoming invisible, and entirely superfluous.

Becoming extinct, in reality.

Wake up an smell the coffee, dufus.

caposkia wrote:
redneF wrote:

We've won.

wrong God.

They're all the same, you clown.

caposkia wrote:
redneF wrote:

Deal with it...

I do... why are you so bothered?

Because you are counterproductive to 'individual rights'.

You all want to be slaves to a master.

That's dysfunctional.

You want to be someone's eternal b1tch?

Leave everyone else out of it.

Because you halt progress.

Mine, and everyone else's.

Some of us want to evolve as far away from stoopid camel jockey sand monkeys, jerking off imaginary figures in the skies, as we can.

But you're all in the fast lane, with your heads up your asses, going along at a snails pace, because you don't know how to fcuking navigate life.

caposkia wrote:
yes, I know this was aimed at the other theist, but i figured  you were applying your cynicism to all believers.

I am.

I don't suffer fools gladly.

Any fool, who wants to submit to his master, getting on his knees, and kissing the ground (assuming the perfect position to get fcuked in the ass) in the fast lane, deserves to get my boot in his ass, for getting in my way.

Both of you are not to stand in my way.

Understand, b1tches?

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
  ...Sure, I get your

Sure, I get your angle, however, any attempt at calling the Bible on contradictory statements or false claims has come up short every time, where as I can point to specific falsifications and contradictions in other religions without dispute.  I can also point to a source for starting the other religions and specific source (singular) for writing up the scripts that make up the following vs. Christianity which has many authors not familiar with each other congruent in context and understanding.  

TGBaker wrote:

I have been to Bible College and Seminary and done comparative religion.

GREAT! you're someone I'll enjoy talking to

TGBaker wrote:

The point is that you do not believe in Hinduism because you do not believe its claims hold up. In the same way everyone except those who believe in Christianity do not believe its claims hold up. The basis to determine what holds up is evidence.

I have offered to discuss "evidences" with anyone.  I only ask that they pick the focus and we go from there.  So far the focus has been on evidences that would be illogical to consider for the topic at hand.  not because it doesn't work for me, but because it's simply, scientifically, not logical.  

TGBaker wrote:

Many systems can be designed that are rational within themselves or sometimes from without. That does not mean they are valid.

of course not, which is why I welcome science, history, archeology, etc. into the picture.  most try to use it to disprove, but of course it is widely known that God cannot be disproved through any means. Unless of course you have something new to bring to the table.  

... to add to that, just because you think it's the truth doesn't mean it is and the truth cannot be told to you unless you're willing to hear it.  

So where do you want to start?

Well we can assume x is a non-believer. X=me Y is a believer. Y=you So how is Y gonna demonstrate to x P. P= there is a God. Or P could be scripture is valid so God.  I guess the point would be evangelical. If ya wanna convert someone ya gotta supply the P.  But rather than P-ing around lets try to keep to polite casual conversation rather than creating abstract possible  and logical worlds where P with modal logic, correspondence theories and the rut.  In other words within this apparent system, world or existence what can you present to its conscious members that would be convincing.  When I was on your side of the fence I had difficulties understanding why non-believers could not see my "evidence", my reasoning when after all it convinced me. I think it has to do with systems we work in or with that entail a lotta presuppositions that ya must dispense with to start from scratch.  What would be the first thing you would "scratch". On a side note if it gives you some ammo I do think that critical analysis of scripture does in itself provide a case against the validity of the Christian claims in the sense that it makes the improbable as factual and probable that they are untrue or at least leaving no basis for them as sufficient historical facts on which to determine their truth. All that harange simply boils down to why does caposkia believe that the Kerygma, Gospel or Christian Faith is True.  Just the facts....( Dragnet). And how would you present it to me so that I understood the facts in such a way to see the trutch to which they point.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

Joker
atheist
Joker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, a few questions, and yes

Ok, a few questions, and yes I know I'm jumping in the middle but I am curious and have been gone a while.

To the theists who believe in some metaphysical afterlife (christian focus):

1) Am I the same person as I was before death when I awaken, reform or am somehow placed in this afterlife? What I mean is, am I still my 'imperfect' self with all my flaws or am I someone who has had all of their imperfections and negative traits removed (assuming that I end up in the happy afterlife anyhow)?

The reason for this question is simple, if I am stripped of all negative traits, desires, etc. then I am being partially lobotomized, parts of my 'me' are being literally torn out, I might still be able to talk and function but I wouldn't be who I am now. In this case your deity seems more like a kind of sadistic monster from an exploitative slasher flick where the victims are lobotomized and made to play at certain parts endlessly (see 'holy holy holy, lord God almighty, etc.') Now on the other hand if I still have my negative traits, my arrogance, my contrariness, my temper, etc. then I am still me, but me having these thoughts, feelings, ideas etc. is 'sinful' ergo God apparently can stand being around it so either your messiah died for nothing or it was a literal carte blanche to do whatever you damn well pleased.

2) Assuming I, a filthy atheist heathen, am sent to the bad afterlife with fire and torture is my consciousness kept intact beyond normal limits?

Simply put, throw me in an eternal fire while peeling me like one would a potato would not only really really hurt but it would probably fry my pain receptors and my mind so badly that I'd go catatonic, I'd still be suffering but I'd more or less be a vegetable. Now if God set up this system so that I would still be fully cognizant and conscious during the whole process that seems pretty damn horrific. Such a deity would be acting in such monstrous hate that they would be unworthy of worship by any but the most depraved. Now if my mind breaks a few hours in, ok, situation sucks, but the torment wouldn't be eternal in the sense that would matter.

3) In the bad afterlife is it possible to interact with others, ala dantes inferno?

Yes, I know that Dante isn't a scriptural book but it made quite an impact, and on a more practical note it's an easy example. If I can communicate with others there, assuming my mind doesn't give out and theirs doesn't, hell might be unpleasant but could still be manageable. I have all of eternity and if all the various heathens and such are down there I would imagine that I would find many worthy and interesting people there.

4) Would it be worse if there was a good afterlife and oblivion for those that didn't measure up?

This one is more a question of your own morals.

5) Why wouldn't the virtuous protest those who would be tormented in hell?

This is just a personal thing, if there are so many people whos main problem is literally that they didn't get the gospel in time why aren't they protesting God? Why not offer to try to help these people or at least call for some kind of mercy?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Fcuk can you

redneF wrote:

Fcuk can you people obfuscate.

Really, that's confusing for you?  Think about it; either "it" is or "it" isn't.  Whatever "IT" may be.  

There's a glass on the table in front of you.  Either it's there or it's not, but regardless of what you want to believe, one or the other has to be true.  Maybe is not truth.  

redneF wrote:

I just said that.

no, you said it was metaphor, i clarified I mean it literal.

redneF wrote:

You people have 'hope'.

You don't have anything else. So you willingly substitute 'hope' for any level of knowledge and certainty.

You're sure.  So regardless whether I challenge you to take whatever angle you want with a topic and discuss it.. I'm basing history, science, geology, etc. off hope.  K.  I hope you're right ;P

redneF wrote:

I'm not desperate.

That's why I don't 'hope' that a god exists.

Neither am I.  My hope isn't in His existence.

redneF wrote:

I can emotionally cope with anything.

I'm rational.

i don't need god to emotionally cope and I think rationally too... the problem is I think.. which most non-believers seem to dislike.  

redneF wrote:

You're attitude exemplifies extreme insecurity and weakness.

interesting.  Elaborate please.

redneF wrote:

You're pathetic.

So... instead of having a rational thought out discussion as to why my understanding is mistaken, you resort to calling me pathetic.  good defense.  I'm not here to impress you

redneF wrote:

Never needed hope.

Opportunity is adequate for me.

hope is an opportunity.  You find opportunity with hope, without hope, you have no drive to seek an opportunity that might be there.  I think you're taking it on a different level.

redneF wrote:

We are not all created equal.

compared to what.... wait, are you being unconstitutional?  

redneF wrote:

And I'm thankful that we're not.

everyone's different and with cooperation we balance each other out...  I'm thankful for differences if that's what you mean.

redneF wrote:

It gives me opportunity to be better, more successful than others.

being "equal" as Biblical terms or even constitutional terms does not in any way imply you can't be more successful than others.  However, where you are not successful, others are.  this is the equality.  It all balances out.  You are not more successful in everything, no one can be.  

redneF wrote:

I'm exceptional at most everything, in comparison to most people.

except for convincing me that I should take you seriously generally speaking.

redneF wrote:

So, I'm confident in my abilities, and accept my powerlessness against the universe, and can fully accept that there are always people, or things that will get the better of me.

And I can deal with those 'Universal Truths'.

Including eternal death.

ah, are you one of those people who knows so much that they forget to think?  

redneF wrote:

I'm not like most people. And I'm glad I'm not.

neither am I.    seem to me you're not as unique as you'd like to be.

redneF wrote:

I model myself after people who have extremely positive attitudes, problem solving and coping strategies.

we all have our heros

redneF wrote:

I have everything I need for inspiration, from my fellow mortal man (sic), and from observing nature.

I don't need anything supernatural.

I'm not desperate for anything like that, at all.

I didn't mean supernatural.  everyone has something that determines their path.  What is yours.  Many see money as their god even though they may not admit it.

redneF wrote:

I not only like (certain) people, I love them deeply, and benefit tremendously from surrounding myself with them, and sharing with them.

The time I spend with people I care deeply for, become my fondest memories, that stay with me forever, and are the most valuable thing in the world for me.

There's nothing that money can buy, that even comes close.

I wouldn't trade my experiences, love, and fond memories of some people, for anything in this world.

not downplaying your passion for certain people, but it seems people is your god.

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:
or are you one that sleeps with a shotgun under your bed.

What for?

You make no sense...

just trying to figure you out.  it seems from this post you're not.

redneF wrote:

I'm not complaining about anything I've done.

I just want freaks like you to STFU, so that I don't have to resort to taking matters into my own hands.

Capiche?

are you complaining about meeting them on the street or what you're reading here?  On the street, i couldn't agree more, but if you're complaining about what's being said no here, then you are in fact complaining about something you've done.  

redneF wrote:

It's not raining 'gods' at all, you fool.

You just 'hope' there are gods.

I'm guessing you hope there's not... oh wait, you know there's not... so share your research.  this would be groundbreaking for me and would change my life drastically.

redneF wrote:

I don't care what people believe. Neither do advanced cultures and societies.

You might think you have 'strength' in your numbers, but you do not 'rule' anything but your own imaginations.

why would Christian numbers mean ruling over something?  Why is it always about power?  

on the contrary, you may notice that advanced cultures and societies are more concerned about what people believe than the less advanced cultures.  

redneF wrote:

We (as a society) are not a 'gods' loyal 'subjects'.

That goes against our 'individual rights'.

Which you should be thankful for.

very thankful for

redneF wrote:

Ya, that's why we still believe the sun revolves around the earth, and why creation is taught in schools, and why we still have slaves, and women are submissive, why women wear burkas, why we still burn witches at the stake, why the President leads us in prayer, why gays will never marry, why we can never abort a fetus, why contraceptives are evil, why the wicked are left to die of disease.

ah, now we're shedding some light on you.  You have a disposition, not a belief... or.. excuse me, disbelief.

redneF wrote:

Ya, you guys sure are tough to beat...

Your theism (sickness and disease) is being eradicated from government, and government institutions.

It's not up to 'god'.

It's up to the 'people' (man).

Bible supports this.  God only judges and implements.  The choices have always been left in the hands of people, which is the problem Brian has.  he can't see that choice is possible with a god.

redneF wrote:

We are gods.

did i call it or what!  huh!! huh!!!!!

redneF wrote:

We do not take 'him' seriously, at all. Not even 'his' existence.

and... you think i thought you did before?  It would be an associative conclusion to just state that if you didn't take gods existence seriously, that you would also not take Him seriously.  

redneF wrote:

The most advanced nations and modern cultures are not based on 'theocracy', they are based on 'democracy'  (rule of the people).

We are the gods, that render what your imagination hopes for, redundant and counterproductive.

We fight for 'human rights' and 'individual rights', not for insane tyranny from mythical gods.

You're 'god' is becoming invisible, and entirely superfluous.

Becoming extinct, in reality.

good job on your case study, can I see the stats?  Where's your research.   I do question it and I am skeptical due to the research I've done and the studies I've seen, so I of course, just like you would need to see the evidences to support this conclusion.

redneF wrote:

Wake up an smell the coffee, dufus.

every morning, home brewed.  I think you might need to cut back a bit.

redneF wrote:

They're all the same, you clown.

well now I know you haven't done much homework.  here i thought you were someone of intelligence, it seems that you haven't taken the time to research what your defending.

redneF wrote:

Because you are counterproductive to 'individual rights'.

You all want to be slaves to a master.

That's dysfunctional.

You want to be someone's eternal b1tch?

is that what I want, or is that what Christiandom wants.

redneF wrote:

Leave everyone else out of it.

I only discuss with people who want to.

redneF wrote:

Because you halt progress.

Mine, and everyone else's.

I'm trying to make progress, you might want to skim some pages of this forum and see which side has been "halting progress"

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:

I am.

I don't suffer fools gladly.

Any fool, who wants to submit to his master, getting on his knees, and kissing the ground (assuming the perfect position to get fcuked in the ass) in the fast lane, deserves to get my boot in his ass, for getting in my way.

Both of you are not to stand in my way.

Understand, b1tches?

whos' standing in your way?  and who ever taught you that was the way?  Of course you're a non-believer if that's what you were taught.  

i think you need to reexamine your understanding of what is, you're believing god is part of a demonic sect and not what He really is.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Well we can

TGBaker wrote:

Well we can assume x is a non-believer. X=me Y is a believer. Y=you So how is Y gonna demonstrate to x P. P= there is a God. Or P could be scripture is valid so God.  I guess the point would be evangelical. If ya wanna convert someone ya gotta supply the P.  But rather than P-ing around lets try to keep to polite casual conversation rather than creating abstract possible  and logical worlds where P with modal logic, correspondence theories and the rut.  In other words within this apparent system, world or existence what can you present to its conscious members that would be convincing.  When I was on your side of the fence I had difficulties understanding why non-believers could not see my "evidence", my reasoning when after all it convinced me. I think it has to do with systems we work in or with that entail a lotta presuppositions that ya must dispense with to start from scratch.  What would be the first thing you would "scratch". On a side note if it gives you some ammo I do think that critical analysis of scripture does in itself provide a case against the validity of the Christian claims in the sense that it makes the improbable as factual and probable that they are untrue or at least leaving no basis for them as sufficient historical facts on which to determine their truth. All that harange simply boils down to why does caposkia believe that the Kerygma, Gospel or Christian Faith is True.  Just the facts....( Dragnet). And how would you present it to me so that I understood the facts in such a way to see the trutch to which they point.

I like how you put that together.

I always start off by asking what you would accept as reasonable evidence, but then again, that approach has been received with excuse after excuse.  One being that it's a dodge from me to present evidence and the other as evidence that would be irrational to consider be it that it would just be an impossible means of proving P through that methodology, e.g. asking me to study the anatomy of a Kangaroo using an apple.  

The problem is I could go in many different directions.  I am currently in a forum going in depth through the Bible on a historical front.  History is not my strong point, but one individual wanted that angle and I am currently progressing through it with him.  We still both hold our own reasoning, but have concluded thus far that there is a lack of evidence on either side to soundly conclude anything using history alone.  My take is that due to the congruency in the history that we can find that would be in relation to the culture and the time as well as location, there's reason to suggest it is plausible that the stories did happen.  His take is that due to discrepencies like exaggerated numbers and misrepresented names/dates it's plausible that they're not true despite the congruency with those discrepencies in all historical documents from that time, which would go along with my plausibility of congruency in the little bit of history that we can find.    

If history is your angle, I can refer you to that forum and would welcome your input.

I can focus on a scientific front and discuss scientific method approaches to study that could possibly be done for reasonable evidence of "the God effect" on people, though psychologically people can try to excuse it, which would again leave that angle only plausible on both sides.  Other methods have been presented, but I think it scared some.  these would be setting up case studies where particular groups of believers and non-believers were put together in similar situations and social behaviors would be studied to see if there were any differences between groups.  

Beyond that, we can discuss different scientific angles like quantum physics, theory, physical structure, etc.  and how that can apply to the likelihood of an intelligent designer.

If science is your angle, we can tackle that on a new forum.  

Statistics is another angle with numbers and events in the world.  Studies that point to God through the Vatican though trust issues concern non-believers with that.  Statistical reasoning through what science has discovered about the universe and the world that we live in and how things function and are created the way they are.  A simple excuse out of any statistical approach is to say it did or didn't happen deeming any statistical improbability feckless in the conversation.  

If statistics is your angle, we can go there

Archeology is an angle that seems to be more evidence for many, but then again, the lack of information leads to probability and excuses that just because there is some truth in the scriptures doesn't make it true.  kind of goes along with history.

Or any other angle for that matter.  See what it really comes down to is what angle do you want to take that would help you "understand the facts in such a way to see the truth to which they point."

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:I like how

caposkia wrote:

I like how you put that together.

I always start off by asking what you would accept as reasonable evidence, but then again, that approach has been received with excuse after excuse.  One being that it's a dodge from me to present evidence and the other as evidence that would be irrational to consider be it that it would just be an impossible means of proving P through that methodology, e.g. asking me to study the anatomy of a Kangaroo using an apple.  

The problem is I could go in many different directions.  I am currently in a forum going in depth through the Bible on a historical front.  History is not my strong point, but one individual wanted that angle and I am currently progressing through it with him.  We still both hold our own reasoning, but have concluded thus far that there is a lack of evidence on either side to soundly conclude anything using history alone.  My take is that due to the congruency in the history that we can find that would be in relation to the culture and the time as well as location, there's reason to suggest it is plausible that the stories did happen.  His take is that due to discrepencies like exaggerated numbers and misrepresented names/dates it's plausible that they're not true despite the congruency with those discrepencies in all historical documents from that time, which would go along with my plausibility of congruency in the little bit of history that we can find.    

If history is your angle, I can refer you to that forum and would welcome your input.

Or any other angle for that matter.  See what it really comes down to is what angle do you want to take that would help you "understand the facts in such a way to see the truth to which they point."

My problem is that I started from your position and moved to an atheistic one. For that matter I was a minister.  I think having start my second year Greek my freshmen year allowed me to get in  4years of NT studies in their original language.  That was the beginning of my move from Christianity.  The gospels sufficiently disprove each other to me that is that they are contrived, folk stories or speculations with a bit of history somewhere in it all.  These studies were at a fundamentalist bible college. I went to a liberal Methodist seminary in which some of the ministers were secretly atheists. I found liberal theology to be dogmatic as well and switched to philosophy which again seemed too much like theology.  I went into social work for 20 years and continued to study physics,  paleo-anthropology and consciousness.  My move from mysticism and panentheism is fairly recent (a couple years).  I suspect that you came to belief like many because of social or family context before you really were learned in the theology or beliefs of your faith, denomination or what have you. I do not know. I know Douglas Wilson says became a Christian because his parents were Christians.  I guess you would have to overcome all of that for me to see the truth in which the things you base your belief point. For Christinaity I would have to havethe NT verified as historically accurate.

What is the one thing that convinces you?