The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

Hey all.  It's been a while since I've been on. I appologise, I've been busy. 

The title of this forum is the title of a book I just finished reading.  It's a catchy title, so I figured it'd be a good way to grab someone's attention on here.  The book is written by Becky Garrison. 

If her name doesn't sound familiar, that's fine, it shouldn't.  So why am I wasting your time telling you about this book?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  This is a book written by a True Christian.  HUH?  For all of you who have discussed with me in the past, you understand what I'm talking about and for those of you who haven't you can research my blogs.  Caposkia is my name. 

Anyway, It's written from the viewpoint of how a true Christian feels about of course the atheists in the world today, but more importantly for you, how she feels about Christians in the world. 

This is for all of you arguing with me about how Christians have to be black and white.  How you have to follow a religion and there's nothing outside of religion etc.  She touches on all of this.  I truly think you'll enjoy reading this book and I would like to hear from those of you who have read it if anyone.  If not, I"ll wait till someone finishes it.  It's not a very long book.

When I first came onto this site, I wanted to discuss directly with those who were involved in the infamous television debate that RRS was involved in about the existence of God with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.  They didn't have time and the other non-believers I came across were too opinionated to involve themselves in a conversation that made any progress.  Instead I got into other debates which for the most part were a lot of fun, but I digress. 

Becky mentions this debate as well in her book at the end.  This is for all of you on here I've talked to who would not believe me or had other personal issues with the fact that my opinion didn't flow with their idea of a Christian.  I will breifly say that I hold her viewpoint when she says that if she was at that debate, she would have "crawled out of that church in shame. "

Simply put, we both agree that both sides put forth deplorable excuses for their side and did not defend their side succesfully.  I know I know, many of you will disagree and say that RRS did disprove the existance of God in that debate, but enough with the opinions, I'm saying the other side did just as good of a job proving God.  This debate is a poor excuse to not follow Christ and this book talks about those types of Christians.

This book should clarify many misunderstandings of how True Christians are and I hope bring light to a new understanding of our following. 

It is written differently than most books, but is an informational peice and uses a lot of researched information.  It does focus on the "New Atheists" and is not a book preaching to the masses.  As said, it is from the point of  view of a True Christian.

enjoy, let me know your thoughts.  I would also request, please be respectful in your responses.  I'm here to have mature discussions with people. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Are your

redneF wrote:

Are your reasons to believe, more logical than my reluctance to accept god 'beliefs', as being viable?

I don't think they are at all.

I'm sure you don't.

reluctance to accept something is not unreasonable.  My reasons to believe are accumulative of many avenues... it's likely comparable to why a well researched atheist doesn't believe.

redneF wrote:

Would you like to debate me in a 1 on 1 debate?

I'd prefer to look at it as a discussion, but sure

redneF wrote:

Just you and me?

sure

redneF wrote:

I'm challenging you.

Let's do this... I'll let you go first.  For consistency, this should be a new forum

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:When did

jcgadfly wrote:

When did metaphysics stop being a philosophical stance and become a scientific category? I mean, if it is a scientific category it means that they have been able to use science to make some evaluations of it. Yet you also say that such evaluation can't be done because science does not have the tools to make those evaluations.

It was tied in with Quantum Theory.  It's theoretical only and the idea of metaphysics is another avenue of physical, which would lie in the sciences... it is a branch of philosophy that has a foot in the scientific door.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:When did

jcgadfly wrote:

When did metaphysics stop being a philosophical stance and become a scientific category? I mean, if it is a scientific category it means that they have been able to use science to make some evaluations of it. Yet you also say that such evaluation can't be done because science does not have the tools to make those evaluations.

It was tied in with Quantum Theory.  It's theoretical only and the idea of metaphysics is another avenue of physical, which would lie in the sciences... it is a branch of philosophy that has a foot in the scientific door.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:If what you

redneF wrote:

If what you claim, is correct.

You would be correct if you can find me many 'scholarly' theologians or apolgetics on the 'crusade' who don't claim that they know the 'truth', and that atheism is 'false'.

Can you prove that you are correct?

Sure.. read this and tell me what you think:

http://chronicle.com/article/The-Ethics-of-Being-a/47442/

It also goes into detail as to why you would assume my claim is false, but goes into what one studying religions should be doing.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You are out of

Brian37 wrote:

You are out of your mind, If I claimed a tornado hit my house, and there was no outside record of it, then it would be all in my head. BUT, if a tornado hits my house and there is a record of it then it is not in my head.

so, as in context with the scenario i stated before, If you claimed a tornado hit your house... AND without the technology we have today(having only technology from Biblical times), there was no record of it, it would definitely all be in your head... ok Got it.  Thank you

Brian37 wrote:

You do not have that same option. You have a god concept in your head, but this god concept is not falsifiable or testable. Tornados exist and are not mere claims and have been verified and even VIDEO RECORDED. ALL god claims, including yours are mere claims which we have no lick of evidence for, unlike tornados.

The scenario assumed that technology wasn't available... there are people all over the world, the majority in fact claiming godly experiences and many have medical records to back it up in the case of healings... yet they're not testable because if you're healed you're healed and you can't prove you were sick to begin with other than medical records.  How are you going to prove I had a cold last month?  How are you going to prove I was handicap beyond medical documents saying so?  You can't, yet it must not have happened, i was healthy the whole time and... eh, was just faking my handicap.  

Brian37 wrote:

Cut the crap.

ok... pppphrrrt

Awe crap... excuse me for a moment....

Brian37 wrote:

Get your invisible friend to get his ass down here and let us examine him in person. I am quite sure that would be easy for someone who created all this. Funny how your alleged daddy likes hiding from everyone.  I am sure you will have as easy a time doing this as a Muslim or Hindu or Jew.

He's working around you every day...  You're looking for a physical manifestation, why would he do that for you?  If you told me to show my ass so you could study me, i'd likely not show up either.  I'd be kind of skeeved by you.  i may ask what kind of compensation you're offering first though.

Brian37 wrote:

You know damned well you cant give us any evidence and are only clinging to your bullshit claims because you have an emotional attachment to them and are merely driven by your own ego.

yea, that must be it

Brian37 wrote:

Tornados are real, god/s are not. It is all in your head and you know it, you simply don't want to accept it.

They ARE!!!

Brian37 wrote:

We have telescopes that can look into deep space. We know what DNA is. None of that is rooted in myth or naked assertions. All you have is a popular myth you bought into. You are no different than any other human from ancient polytheism to modern new age bullshit.

Right... We have telescopes and we know what DNA is...

I have a food processor and I know what pepperoni is... none of that is rooted in myth or naked assertion either.  Ok, so that means God is fake for sure then right?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:caposkia, it

redneF wrote:

caposkia, it appears you consider yourself a formidable opponent to atheists.

I would like a 1 on 1 debate you.

Just me and you.

Do you accept?

I thought you asked that already.  I'm willing to have a "discussion' with you.  In my experience, debates to make ground on either side, but either way, sure.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap, without

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, without discussing the god issue, let me explain how easy it is to believe false things.

When I was a kid, I went to a movie documentary about animals. I saw a baby deer being born. But because of the angle of the camera I only saw the event profile. I ended up thinking that the fawn was coming out of the deer's ass, and not her vagina. I proudly proclaimed my new found knowledge to the kids on the bus the next day and everyone laughed at me. I was in tears. BUT they were right.

Just because you are an adult and just because you are smart, does not make you right. ESPECIALLY IN OUR MODERN TIME. If anyone today wants to prove something the entire world has one venue to settle the truth of the matter, and that venue is scientific method.

If I had known physical biology at the time, I never would have made that patiently absurd claim.

Considering when your book was written and the fact that you still defend it, says one thing to me. You are acting no different than I did, not because you are right, but because someone challenged you and the fear of being wrong causes you to cling to your absurdity.

Everyone accepts history at face value, I actually take this history one step further and see how it applies to me today.  i see your scenario, They laughed at you because they knew better and now you do too... are you saying you have the same reasoning to share with me as to why i shouldn't accept this truth?  i mean something substantial, not a strawman rant that you're stuck on

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap, without

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, without discussing the god issue, let me explain how easy it is to believe false things.

When I was a kid, I went to a movie documentary about animals. I saw a baby deer being born. But because of the angle of the camera I only saw the event profile. I ended up thinking that the fawn was coming out of the deer's ass, and not her vagina. I proudly proclaimed my new found knowledge to the kids on the bus the next day and everyone laughed at me. I was in tears. BUT they were right.

Just because you are an adult and just because you are smart, does not make you right. ESPECIALLY IN OUR MODERN TIME. If anyone today wants to prove something the entire world has one venue to settle the truth of the matter, and that venue is scientific method.

If I had known physical biology at the time, I never would have made that patiently absurd claim.

Considering when your book was written and the fact that you still defend it, says one thing to me. You are acting no different than I did, not because you are right, but because someone challenged you and the fear of being wrong causes you to cling to your absurdity.

Everyone accepts history at face value, I actually take this history one step further and see how it applies to me today.  i see your scenario, They laughed at you because they knew better and now you do too... are you saying you have the same reasoning to share with me as to why i shouldn't accept this truth?  i mean something substantial, not a strawman rant that you're stuck on

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

When you take a book that was never intended to be a history and make it one aren't you giving it more than face value?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:TGBaker

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

They were intentionally changed very quickly. Scholars for example notice 3 stages in the Gospel of John. Just go to wiki for "the Synoptic problem".  Then read some of the books in the bibliography or we can discuss it here as well. B.F. Streeter's Four Gospels. Commentaries on the greek Testament.  R.E. Brown, J.A. Fitxmyer. Those are believing scholars who nontheless edmit the lack of historicity in the formation of the gospels.

I'll have to see what I can find and get back to this.  Thank you

Historical researchers in this field generally see jesus as a wondering Cynic teacher spouting out words of wisdom and folk philosophy. It does seem to be the core of what developed into Christianity. Jesus was a human who came from Galilee. Galilee was the only area in Palestine that was forcefully converted to Judaism.  Even so only 50% of the population was Jewish. Rabbi Hannina ben Dosa and Honi the Circle Drawer were very similar characters to Jesus. ben Dosa called god Abba like Jesus ( meaning Daddy instead of a reverential , father).  He spoke openly with women as Jesus did. The reason that historians posit these as historical is because they are contrary to the believing Jewish or Christian movement. You can see evidence that the church tried to cover up the fact that Jesus was baptized as others to get rid of sin. Historical Jesus research is a discipline to explain the sociological development of what became Christianity ... what historical kernel was the catalyst for all the mythic construction.  It is commonly understood that the bible is mythic in seminaries and theological  schools like Princeton, Yale, Stanford, Emory, Vanderbuilt. The bridge from school to church is teach it as truth and avoid the lack of factual basis. So statements are demythologized and taken into a philosophical meaning rather than a grounded factual historical meaning. Virgin birth does not really mean a women had a child and was a virgin. It becomes a story to honor jesus as both god and man.  So you have pure historical work. Then the theologians that try to make it still meaningful and then the preachers to present it as literal.  When I was in seminary my mentor (Hendrikus Boers)  who wrote Who Was Jesus? was a Marxist atheist from South Africa. He would point to people like Jurgen Moltmann (theologian) as a fraud that needed to be exposed. Then there is the whole moderate movement that tries to salvage some christianity out of the historical/critical conclusions. Crossan was on the Jesus Seminar team. He knows Jesus was simply a person who got into trouble and was removed from being an irritation.  The people who cared about where Jesus was buried did not know where he was buried. The people who did know where he was buried ( communal grave) did not care.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:redneF

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

You would be correct if you can find me many 'scholarly' theologians or apolgetics on the 'crusade' who don't claim that they know the 'truth', and that atheism is 'false'.

It also goes into detail as to why you would assume my claim is false, but goes into what one studying religions should be doing.

What one thing indicates there is a god?????? There is no logic, scripture, observation that validates an ancient myth as a contemporary ontological, cosmological or epistemological proposition.  One there is no need for it. It does not come about because of a need to explain the contemporary world. It comes about ina dark primitive mind that had tribal gods that competed with other tribal gods. A supreme god ( henotheism) shows through verses in the OT. Monotheism is even later and results from Judaism's infection with Zorastrianism.  Why should I believe that such a thing warrants a theism to explain a world that we now know is not flat, that air is matter, that the earth is a sphere. The blue in the sky is not another ocean of water. Evolution means creation of species and not a sculpting from clay.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Don't be obtuse.

You still haven't backed up your allegation towards me that I'm ignorant

What's an article written by one guy's about his personal views, got to do with what I said about the 'scholarly' theologians and apologetics who are on the 'crusade' against prominent atheists, making nonsensical statements like 'Atheism is false', and butchering the english language in their other equivocations?

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theology

Whether or not reasoned discussion about the divine is possible has long been a point of contention. As early as the fifth century BC, Protagoras, who is reputed to have been exiled from Athens because of his agnosticism about the existence of the gods, said that "Concerning the gods I cannot know either that they exist or that they do not exist, or what form they might have, for there is much to prevent one's knowing: the obscurity of the subject and the shortness of man's life."[67]

In his two part The Age of Reason, the American revolutionary Thomas Paine, wrote, "The study of theology, as it stands in Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authorities; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion. Not anything can be studied as a science, without our being in possession of the principles upon which it is founded; and as this is the case with Christian theology, it is therefore the study of nothing."[68]

The atheist philosopher Ludwig Feuerbach sought to dissolve theology in his work Principles of the Philosophy of the Future: "The task of the modern era was the realization and humanization of God - the transformation and dissolution of theology into anthropology."[69] This mirrored his earlier work The Essence of Christianity (pub. 1841), for which he was banned from teaching in Germany, in which he had said that theology was a "web of contradictions and delusions".[70]

In his essay "Critique of Ethics and Theology" the logical-positivist A.J. Ayer sought to show that all statements about the divine are nonsensical and any divine-attribute is unprovable. He wrote: "It is now generally admitted, at any rate by philosophers, that the existence of a being having the attributes which define the god of any non-animistic religion cannot be demonstratively proved... [A]ll utterances about the nature of God are nonsensical."[71]

In his essay, "Against Theology", the philosopher Walter Kaufmann sought to differentiate theology from religion in general. "Theology, of course, is not religion; and a great deal of religion is emphatically anti-theological... An attack on theology, therefore, should not be taken as necessarily involving an attack on religion. Religion can be, and often has been, untheological or even anti-theological." However, Kaufmann found that "Christianity is inescapably a theological religion".[72]

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Are your reasons to believe, more logical than my reluctance to accept god 'beliefs', as being viable?

I don't think they are at all.

I'm sure you don't.

reluctance to accept something is not unreasonable.  

That comes back to why I say these theists on the crusade to debate atheists in pubic debates, are frauds, who butcher the english language, and make stupid nonsensical statements like 'Atheism is false"

caposkia wrote:
My reasons to believe are accumulative of many avenues... it's likely comparable to why a well researched atheist doesn't believe.

That'll be the topic.

And we shall see which one of us has perched himself precariously.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Would you like to debate me in a 1 on 1 debate?

I'd prefer to look at it as a discussion, but sure

Well, it's not a discussion. It's a debate.

The distinction being, that you and I hold different fundamental positions, in regards to theism/atheism, and I don't think yours is based on sound reasoning.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

I'm challenging you.

Let's do this... I'll let you go first.  For consistency, this should be a new forum

Perfect.

I'll ask the mods to set up a 1 on 1 debate, so that it'll be just between you and me.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Everyone takes history at face value. No, everyone takes tradition at face value, which is what my point is to you. What if no one on that bus knew better and had simply accepted what I told them, then they to would have falsely believed that babies came out of the ass and not the vagina.

My point in telling you that story is the same with the "history" of Christianity. Someone invented that cult and sold it to others and you are simply someone who bought it.

The people who wrote that book over a 1.000 year period and 40 authors with books left out, had no clue of scientific reality. It is not a book of history, it is a myth people traditionally believe in. You are doing no differently than the Ancient Egypitians who falsely believed that the sun was a super natural being that meddled in their lives and cared about them.

The earth is billions of years old. The bible is written as if people thought it "poof" suddenly appeared. It treats the sun and moon as separate sources of light, when the moon in reality bounces the sunlight off of the moon. It treats humans as if they "poof" suddenly appeared out of dirt. Evolution says we came from the same common ancestors as other primates.

And the entire book even without discussing the scientific absurdities claimed in it, is a morally repugnant book all about humans beating the shit out of each other in order to get into a club at the expense of all others only to kiss one guys ass.

You have fallen for a myth. The only reason you cling to it isn't because your god is real, it is because your own ego wont allow you to consider that you are wrong.

If you had anything to prove your claims you could march them into a lab with independent scientists and double blind tests and make it as obvious as the computer you type on. Since you cant do that all you can do is pull shit out of your ass because you had an emotional experience you refuse to accept was nothing more than your own brain allowing you to be fooled.

Wake up before you waste your entire life on wishful thinking.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Everyone

caposkia wrote:

Everyone accepts history at face value

Patently false.

Strawman.

I don't know where you went to school. But, they never told us that history was 'science', and that it wasn't anecdotal and suspect.

How are you going to teach ancient Egyptian history as 'facts', or 'science', or anything more than anecdotal, when the only recordings made by them, were personal accounts, and are modern attempts at deciphering from hieroglyphics?

caposkia wrote:

are you saying you have the same reasoning to share with me as to why i shouldn't accept this truth?  i mean something substantial, not a strawman rant that you're stuck on

Oh, the irony...

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
The 1 on 1 between us, has

The 1 on 1 between us, has been set up, caposkia.

Just you and me.

The mods will not allow others to interrupt us in that thread.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29079

Joker
atheist
Joker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cap, let me offer a slightly

Cap, let me offer a slightly different perspective if I may. If I came to you saying in a fearful voice that you needed to leave, in a large space outside near your home, a small bag containing gold or gems as well as a good cut of meat you would obviously wonder why, or perhaps if I'm delusional or trying to trick you somehow. When asked why I explain that these things are offerings to the great sky dragon Barashul, in providing these offerings of treasure and fine meat he will be kept from attacking you and your loved ones and might even protect you from coming under attack by others.

This would sound ridiculous, and if I seem to be lucid you might try to figure out why I believe it. I explain that the millions who vanish worldwide every year are Barashul taking prey because he is displeased. I point out that the bags of treasure and meat are usually always gone the next day. You might point out that someone could just come up and steal the loot and that the meat might be eaten by some animal, especially since I place it in a large open area where other creatures could wander in (I choose a big area because I want to make sure that Barashul has proper space to land and conduct himself). I might point out that since I've done it I haven't been robbed or have any crimes against my property, obvious signs that Barashul is watching over my property and rewarding me for my offerings. You might point out that there are nearly no robberies or crimes against property in my neighborhood, so I'm simply making an erroneous link between my actions and the lack of damage to my house. I go on to explain that Barashul is invisible and immaterial, his physical properties and abilities let him hide from sight unless he wishes to be seen and he is simply unable to be detected my mans current technology. It would sound like I was delusional or at least trying to play some elaborate prank. I could point out that you have no way of disproving my beliefs, that we both have a 50/50 chance of being right as you can't disprove Barashul.

Even if that is technically the case disbelief would be the default and far more reasonable track to take. The same thing is true of various religions. If you want to believe this stuff, that's fine, but the problem is that too many people are all too happy to try to make laws based on it as well as shove it into our schools and government as well as using it as an excuse to retard science education and roll back social progress. If religious people would be content to worship privately and make their arguments for law and policy based on the merits of the idea rather than their religious texts I would have no problem with it.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:The 1 on 1

redneF wrote:

Just you and me.

Dude if the two theists don't show up. I debate ya taking a theistic position. I guess that would be weird though. 

Let me start. God is real because the bible says so. I believe the bible because it says its the truth. God is real.

The virgin  Mary ascended into heaven bodily because the Pope said so. The church says he is infallible. mary launched off in hyper drive.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Dude if the

TGBaker wrote:

Dude if the two theists don't show up. I debate ya taking a theistic position.

Deal!

At least you understand science extremely well. And your logic is sound.

TGBaker wrote:
I guess that would be weird though. 

Actually, no. It would be a great exercise.

TGBaker wrote:
Let me start.

This isn't going to involve a banana, is it?

I hate that one.

I just can't beat it...

TGBaker wrote:
God is real because the bible says so. I believe the bible because it says its the truth. God is real.

If you say he's real in your mind. Then you're right.

But, the millions of us, are of a different mind.

And we don't wanna hear it, k?

What's wrong with leaving it at that?

Ohhhhhh......ya, the slaves, the gays, and the wimminz....

Forgot about what's at stake for them...

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:TGBaker

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Deal!

TGBaker wrote:

TGBaker wrote:
Let me start.

I hate that one.

I just can't beat it...

TGBaker wrote:
God is real because the bible says so. I believe the bible because it says its the truth. God is real.

I should think that if a conceptual logic can formulate a rational basis for god then that conceptual model might supervene on an absolute logic for god. Since you grant that he is real in my mind and that conept is of a limitless being then it is either a non-rational construct or it is a rational construct.  If it holds whether it is a modal logic example or what have you and the argument is valid then it as a possible world entity of necessity does exist in all possible worlds beside my mental process.   If a=B B=C therefore A=C is a mental construct it refers to a non-mental and absolute logic that is not existent. It is a either a quality of reality abstracted from relational properties or it is that which conditions those relational properties transcendentally.  The same applies for my  mentally wonderful limitless being.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:redneF

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Deal!

TGBaker wrote:

TGBaker wrote:
Let me start.

I hate that one.

I just can't beat it...

TGBaker wrote:

I should think that if a conceptual logic can formulate a rational basis for god then that conceptual model might supervene on an absolute logic for god. Since you grant that he is real in my mind and that conept is of a limitless being then it is either a non-rational construct or it is a rational construct.  If it holds whether it is a modal logic example or what have you and the argument is valid then it as a possible world entity of necessity does exist in all possible worlds beside my mental process.   If a=B B=C therefore A=C is a mental construct it refers to a non-mental and absolute logic that is not existent. It is a either a quality of reality abstracted from relational properties or it is that which conditions those relational properties transcendentally.  The same applies for my  mentally wonderful limitless being.

Whatever rightful point you make here, is only one part of the formula which ultimately leads to pragmatic testing and falsification. Ultimately that is all humanity has to make discoveries. There is absolutely no substitute for that.

What cap has started in an ignorant age and cap is merely a victim of his own wishful thinking. If cap had anything credible it would be testable BEYOND labels. Cap simply doesn't want to face the fact that he has fallen for a popular myth.

The idea of having a super hero BY ANY LABEL is nothing more than anthropomorphism based on mere human's wishful thinking. This was the case before Christianity and Hebrew monotheism, and it is still the case, even with pantheism today. It merely amounts to "It sounds good, so therefore it must be true".

Humans have always fallen for false claims because they want it to be true so badly they will defend it no matter what.

I only hope cap wakes up before he wastes his entire life on wishful thinking.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:TGBaker

Brian37 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Deal!

TGBaker wrote:

TGBaker wrote:
Let me start.

I hate that one.

I just can't beat it...

TGBaker wrote:

Whatever rightful point you make here, is only one part of the formula which ultimately leads to pragmatic testing and falsification. Ultimately that is all humanity has to make discoveries. There is absolutely no substitute for that.

What cap has started in an ignorant age and cap is merely a victim of his own wishful thinking. If cap had anything credible it would be testable BEYOND labels. Cap simply doesn't want to face the fact that he has fallen for a popular myth.

The idea of having a super hero BY ANY LABEL is nothing more than anthropomorphism based on mere human's wishful thinking. This was the case before Christianity and Hebrew monotheism, and it is still the case, even with pantheism today. It merely amounts to "It sounds good, so therefore it must be true".

Humans have always fallen for false claims because they want it to be true so badly they will defend it no matter what.

It's sad and dangerous that people continue to fall for these myths.  In seminary as I was a theologian neophyte there was a worse myth.   The neo-orthodoxy  of World War I evolved into a theology that would make truth claims such that the bible IS a collection of myth and fables. BUT these myths and narratives are the way that god truly reveals himself in time.  The virgin birth was not historical but it was more truthful than fact in that it revealed Jesus as both god and man.  The resurrection was not historical because the transcendent intersected at that point in history whereby god manifested in the story. IN other words the body stayed dead but the spirit of jesus spread through the world in the mythic story. Die Sache Jesu geht Weider... The cause of Jesus lives on.Willi Marxen  Jesus rose into his on kerygma (gospel or preaching) Rudolf Bultmann,  the resurrection occurred as revelation at communion after jesus's death as disciples  began to understand the meaning of the bread and wine Rudolf Schnackenburg (Catholic).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Brian37

TGBaker wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Deal!

TGBaker wrote:

TGBaker wrote:
Let me start.

I hate that one.

I just can't beat it...

TGBaker wrote:

It's sad and dangerous that people continue to fall for these myths.  In seminary as I was a theologian neophyte there was a worse myth.   The neo-orthodoxy  of World War I evolved into a theology that would make truth claims such that the bible IS a collection of myth and fables. BUT these myths and narratives are the way that god truly reveals himself in time.  The virgin birth was not historical but it was more truthful than fact in that it revealed Jesus as both god and man.  The resurrection was not historical because the transcendent intersected at that point in history whereby god manifested in the story. IN other words the body stayed dead but the spirit of jesus spread through the world in the mythic story. Die Sache Jesu geht Weider... The cause of Jesus lives on.Willi Marxen  Jesus rose into his on kerygma (gospel or preaching) Rudolf Bultmann,  the resurrection occurred as revelation at communion after jesus's death as disciples  began to understand the meaning of the bread and wine Rudolf Schnackenburg (Catholic).

You basically back peddled. In the total context the Jesus myth character preformed miracles on the dead and blind, as claims in that book. So to try to dodge the fact that people literally believed that he rose from the dead physically is absurd. If he could do those other things then re animating his own body is not off limits considering.

"It was only in spirit" is a dodge. He brought back the dead and the blind so becoming a zombie himself should fit in with the other silly claims.

It is so painfully obvious that this is nothing more than a book written by ignorant people that merely got successfully marketed as fact.

It is just scary the lengths humans will go to to defend their particular superstitions. Cap falsely thinks his superstition is special and that is sad as well.

Childish fairy tales written in antiquity have nothing on the REAL things scientific discovery has given our species.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:TGBaker

Brian37 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Deal!

TGBaker wrote:

TGBaker wrote:
Let me start.

I hate that one.

I just can't beat it...

TGBaker wrote:

You basically back peddled. In the total context the Jesus myth character preformed miracles on the dead and blind, as claims in that book. So to try to dodge the fact that people literally believed that he rose from the dead physically is absurd. If he could do those other things then re animating his own body is not off limits considering.

"It was only in spirit" is a dodge. He brought back the dead and the blind so becoming a zombie himself should fit in with the other silly claims.

It is so painfully obvious that this is nothing more than a book written by ignorant people that merely got successfully marketed as fact.

It is just scary the lengths humans will go to to defend their particular superstitions. Cap falsely thinks his superstition is special and that is sad as well.

Childish fairy tales written in antiquity have nothing on the REAL things scientific discovery has given our species.

Back peddled??? The theologians realized that the miracles were non-historical as well.  He could not do those things.  it was not even in spirit it was simply in the story. The story is the revelation and not its relation to history.  A lot of theologians want their cake and eat it too. The idea of remythologizing the story was to protect it from the historical criticism that show the stories as non-factual.  It then does not matter if they are only stories they reveal the truth. Why so we can preach like it always has been with the covert meaning understood to the clergy but kept from the laity.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:When you take

jcgadfly wrote:

When you take a book that was never intended to be a history and make it one aren't you giving it more than face value?

So you have research to back up your claim that it was never intended to be a history? 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:What one thing

TGBaker wrote:

What one thing indicates there is a god?????? There is no logic, scripture, observation that validates an ancient myth as a contemporary ontological, cosmological or epistemological proposition.  One there is no need for it. It does not come about because of a need to explain the contemporary world. It comes about ina dark primitive mind that had tribal gods that competed with other tribal gods. A supreme god ( henotheism) shows through verses in the OT. Monotheism is even later and results from Judaism's infection with Zorastrianism.  Why should I believe that such a thing warrants a theism to explain a world that we now know is not flat, that air is matter, that the earth is a sphere. The blue in the sky is not another ocean of water. Evolution means creation of species and not a sculpting from clay.

This particular post was answering a challenge to prove a non-bias skilled theologian, not proof of god.  Though a non-bias theologian could have research supporting the idea.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Don't be

redneF wrote:

Don't be obtuse.

What's an article written by one guy's about his personal views, got to do with what I said about the 'scholarly' theologians and apologetics who are on the 'crusade' against prominent atheists, making nonsensical statements like 'Atheism is false', and butchering the english language in their other equivocations?

you wanted me to show you that there are 'scholarly' theologians who are non-bias toward any particular point of view... this is one particular theologian.  how many do you need?  where there's one, there's more.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:
My reasons to believe are accumulative of many avenues... it's likely comparable to why a well researched atheist doesn't believe.

That'll be the topic.

we need to be more focused than that.  You want to see what happens to a discussion/debate that discusses belief on a broad scale such as what you are offering?  Review this forum, see where it got.

The debate you're asking for would take a lifetime to get through.

redneF wrote:

Well, it's not a discussion. It's a debate.

The distinction being, that you and I hold different fundamental positions, in regards to theism/atheism, and I don't think yours is based on sound reasoning.

ok, so you want it to be a debate... are you debating what i think you think?  I know you don't think what i understand to be true is based on sound reasoning... if you did, you wouldn't want to debate me.  

redneF wrote:

Perfect.

I'll ask the mods to set up a 1 on 1 debate, so that it'll be just between you and me.

ok, I hope you're considering to be more focused than to debate on "all avenues".  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:The people who

Brian37 wrote:

The people who wrote that book over a 1.000 year period and 40 authors with books left out, had no clue of scientific reality.

Be it that most 'scientific' reality that we accept today has been discovered within the past 150 years or so, you're telling me then that everything.... literally everything claimed to have happened before an understanding of scientific reality cannot be understood to be true.  ok then

Brian37 wrote:

The earth is billions of years old. The bible is written as if people thought it "poof" suddenly appeared.

Not if you read into the terminology and languages.  The days are understood by scholars to represent periods of time, not necessarily 24 hour periods of time, but could be thousands upon thousands of years.  

Brian37 wrote:

It treats the sun and moon as separate sources of light, when the moon in reality bounces the sunlight off of the moon. It treats humans as if they "poof" suddenly appeared out of dirt. Evolution says we came from the same common ancestors as other primates.

Of course it treats the sun and moon as separate sources of light... without modern knowledge that came much much later, anyone would assume that.  That doesn't invalidate the story.  It just shows the comprehension of the time.

Brian37 wrote:

And the entire book even without discussing the scientific absurdities claimed in it, is a morally repugnant book all about humans beating the shit out of each other in order to get into a club at the expense of all others only to kiss one guys ass.

isn't that typically what history seems to convey?  Except instead of what you're saying, it's not just one particular person through history.

Brian37 wrote:

You have fallen for a myth. The only reason you cling to it isn't because your god is real, it is because your own ego wont allow you to consider that you are wrong.

mirrored

Brian37 wrote:

If you had anything to prove your claims you could march them into a lab with independent scientists and double blind tests and make it as obvious as the computer you type on. Since you cant do that all you can do is pull shit out of your ass because you had an emotional experience you refuse to accept was nothing more than your own brain allowing you to be fooled.

Wake up before you waste your entire life on wishful thinking.

How can you be so sure of yourself and yet run when you challenge me to a case study and i confront you on the details?  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Patently

redneF wrote:

Patently false.

Strawman.

I don't know where you went to school. But, they never told us that history was 'science', and that it wasn't anecdotal and suspect.

so science is what we take at face value?  no wonder everyone accepts theory as fact.  

redneF wrote:

How are you going to teach ancient Egyptian history as 'facts', or 'science', or anything more than anecdotal, when the only recordings made by them, were personal accounts, and are modern attempts at deciphering from hieroglyphics?

probability and reasoning.  Anyone can make a claim, to support it with outside sources, that's a different story, then again, if all history is that subjective, then nothing is really for sure.  We rely on personal accounts of all happenings.  The only ones that can be confirmed are events that can be recreated with the same result

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:

are you saying you have the same reasoning to share with me as to why i shouldn't accept this truth?  i mean something substantial, not a strawman rant that you're stuck on

Oh, the irony...

good job avoiding the question, but do you or don't you

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Joker wrote:Cap, let me

Joker wrote:

Cap, let me offer a slightly different perspective if I may. If I came to you saying in a fearful voice that you needed to leave, in a large space outside near your home, a small bag containing gold or gems as well as a good cut of meat you would obviously wonder why, or perhaps if I'm delusional or trying to trick you somehow. When asked why I explain that these things are offerings to the great sky dragon Barashul, in providing these offerings of treasure and fine meat he will be kept from attacking you and your loved ones and might even protect you from coming under attack by others.

This would sound ridiculous, and if I seem to be lucid you might try to figure out why I believe it. I explain that the millions who vanish worldwide every year are Barashul taking prey because he is displeased. I point out that the bags of treasure and meat are usually always gone the next day. You might point out that someone could just come up and steal the loot and that the meat might be eaten by some animal, especially since I place it in a large open area where other creatures could wander in (I choose a big area because I want to make sure that Barashul has proper space to land and conduct himself). I might point out that since I've done it I haven't been robbed or have any crimes against my property, obvious signs that Barashul is watching over my property and rewarding me for my offerings. You might point out that there are nearly no robberies or crimes against property in my neighborhood, so I'm simply making an erroneous link between my actions and the lack of damage to my house. I go on to explain that Barashul is invisible and immaterial, his physical properties and abilities let him hide from sight unless he wishes to be seen and he is simply unable to be detected my mans current technology. It would sound like I was delusional or at least trying to play some elaborate prank. I could point out that you have no way of disproving my beliefs, that we both have a 50/50 chance of being right as you can't disprove Barashul.

Even if that is technically the case disbelief would be the default and far more reasonable track to take. The same thing is true of various religions. If you want to believe this stuff, that's fine, but the problem is that too many people are all too happy to try to make laws based on it as well as shove it into our schools and government as well as using it as an excuse to retard science education and roll back social progress. If religious people would be content to worship privately and make their arguments for law and policy based on the merits of the idea rather than their religious texts I would have no problem with it.

Your perspective is not very different.  it is a concept that Christians discuss and comprehend daily.  There's a reason why a good seminary teaches about the beliefs of other religions and their history.  There's a reason why scholarly Christians are still followers of Christ and not a part of any other religion that would in a he said/she said scenario hold equal amounts of support.  History shows a basis and appeal for each religion out there but their histories have in most cases obvious beginnings and even in most cases unintentional beginnings.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:redneF

TGBaker wrote:

redneF wrote:

Just you and me.

Dude if the two theists don't show up. I debate ya taking a theistic position. I guess that would be weird though. 

Let me start. God is real because the bible says so. I believe the bible because it says its the truth. God is real.

The virgin  Mary ascended into heaven bodily because the Pope said so. The church says he is infallible. mary launched off in hyper drive.

Right! Mary had the power of the Schwartz.  She was really Princess Vespa.  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: literally everything

Quote:
literally everything claimed to have happened before an understanding of scientific reality cannot be understood to be true.

WHERE the fuck are you getting that? No, everything that people went around claiming OF EVERY CULTURE, OF EVERY RELIGION, that conflicts with scientific reality, did not happen. Believing in a superstition is only real in the sense people like believing these superstitions and have a history of going around selling those superstitions.

Peppering written superstition with alleged people and or real names AFTER THE FACT, in any case, does not make magic real or disimbodied brians with no brains real.

We know New York City exists but no sane person would claim Superman was real because they saw him in a movie flying around New York City.

Just because humans didn't know about sex or death back then does not make magic births or magic deaths real just because a stupid book written after the fact, just because you like it, and that stupid book of myth is popular.

You read these bullshit claims in an ancient book that was popularized by mere humans and written by mere humans. There is no god or magic to explain why you bull these bullshit claims. You are merely caught up in your own fucking ego and emotionalism.

George Washington didn't have the knowledge of scientific reality we do today, but only a moron would say that the sun is a thinking being because we didn't know better back then.

I

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote: Back

TGBaker wrote:

Back peddled??? The theologians realized that the miracles were non-historical as well.  He could not do those things.  it was not even in spirit it was simply in the story. The story is the revelation and not its relation to history.  A lot of theologians want their cake and eat it too. The idea of remythologizing the story was to protect it from the historical criticism that show the stories as non-factual.  It then does not matter if they are only stories they reveal the truth. Why so we can preach like it always has been with the covert meaning understood to the clergy but kept from the laity.

From what I understand, non historical because they cannot be reconstructed or otherwise supported... just like modern day miracles that are documented.  doesn't mean they didn't happen.  

This topic is a he said/she said and therefore has no end.

Sidenote:  Rednef, you claim TGBaker to be sound, logical and well versed in science... i agree with his approach to logic and am understanding  of his state of mind, i only disagree with his belief in God, so how are we so different?  

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

This particular post was answering a challenge to prove a non-bias skilled theologian, not proof of god.  Though a non-bias theologian could have research supporting the idea.

What? Sorry don't follow?

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

From what I understand, non historical because they cannot be reconstructed or otherwise supported... just like modern day miracles that are documented.  doesn't mean they didn't happen.  

Sidenote:  Rednef, you claim TGBaker to be sound, logical and well versed in science... i agree with his approach to logic and am understanding  of his state of mind, i only disagree with his belief in God, so how are we so different?  

No I was referring to non-historical in that they did not happen and were made up.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I wrote the below I was

When I wrote the below I was attempting to explain what most theologians I have encountered or studied under do:

In seminary as I was a theologian neophyte there was a worse myth.   The neo-orthodoxy  of World War I evolved into a theology that would make truth claims such that the bible IS a collection of myth and fables. BUT these myths and narratives are the way that god truly reveals himself in time.  The virgin birth was not historical but it was more truthful than fact in that it revealed Jesus as both god and man.  The resurrection was not historical because the transcendent intersected at that point in history whereby god manifested in the story. IN other words the body stayed dead but the spirit of jesus spread through the world in the mythic story. Die Sache Jesu geht Weider... The cause of Jesus lives on.Willi Marxen  Jesus rose into his on kerygma (gospel or preaching) Rudolf Bultmann,  the resurrection occurred as revelation at communion after jesus's death as disciples  began to understand the meaning of the bread and wine Rudolf Schnackenburg (Catholic).

They have attempted to remove the validation of theology from whether it happened or not historically to an approach that it did not happen historically but the story though a myth is true and the revelation of god. But then if I had enough supports I could take a relatively recent myth Santa Claus ( 1840's ) and do the same thing. Many theologians would admit that this gymnastics is simply an attempt to salvage religious practice in the church from secular and valid historical conclusions negating the original understanding that it was real.  So you know the esoteric truth in seminary but you fee the language in such a way to the laity that they maintain their belief system that is tradition ( that it really happened) since they are dumb and can't handle the truth.  Theological arrogance.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Don't be obtuse.

you wanted me to show you that there are 'scholarly' theologians who are non-bias toward any particular point of view... this is one particular theologian.  how many do you need? 

I thought it would have been clear to you when I said the ones who were on the 'crusade', it meant high profile theists like WL Craig, John Atkins, Ray Comfort, Ravi Whatshisname etc...that are on the high profile circuit, arguing against high profile atheists, such as Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, Harris.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

That'll be the topic.

we need to be more focused than that.  You want to see what happens to a discussion/debate that discusses belief on a broad scale such as what you are offering?  Review this forum, see where it got.

I don't think so. I'm not interested in every nit picking detail a theist can use from the bible stories.

I've never read those stories. I've never been to church, except for funerals, weddings, and baptisms.

I'm only familiar with the broad claims, like the supposed existence and resurrection of Jesus, Genesis, and the overall concept of an Ambrahamic god.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Patently false.

Strawman.

so science is what we take at face value?  no wonder everyone accepts theory as fact.  

Everyone?

I guess I would be justified in labelling you as incredibly ignorant, since science labels things as either 'theories', or 'universals' as 'laws'.

There is no 'law' of evolution. Because science is still accumulating evidence, and scientific methods are improving, with better tools and methods, to look deeper into biology.

Gravity is a law, in that it is constant, and physically affects all particles directly. It behaves consistently, and predictably. So , we call it's 'effects' a law. But, science has not concluded what it is, exactly, or how exactly it works, or how it came to be. As far as I know.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

probability and reasoning.  

That would only mean that it's theoretical, or anecdotal.

caposkia wrote:

if all history is that subjective, then nothing is really for sure.  

We were never taught that history wasn't completely subjective.

Your school taught you that ancient history in history books was all 100% 'facts'???

That explains a WHOLE bunch.

We were 'given' historical accounts. We were NOT taught that they were the 'gospel' (sic), or to take them as absolute truths.

We were NOT 'preconditioned' to not be skeptical of them, at all. They were always postulated as "To the best of our current knowledge".

I guess you're not aware of all the controversy of incompatible claims between European historians and American ones, and the political agendas in written history, and with the patent offices.

The controversies between inventions being attributed to Americans, when they appear to have been done before by Europeans.

Ever read the different histories about Nikola Tesla? Thomas Edison? Henry Ford?

The controversy surrounding the invention of radio? The controversy surrounding DC and AC electrical currents? Light bulbs? Electrical motors and generators? The automobile? The airplane?

caposkia wrote:

Apart from the obvious difference, that he is an atheist, and you are a theist, I would say that he is obviously much more skeptical, and has come to the conclusion, that ancient scriptures are equivocations (if I interpret him correctly).

Also, if I'm not mistaken, he does not think Jesus was a real person, and is only a legend.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote: Edited:

TGBaker wrote:

Edited: Taken from the previous post to this question: 

They were intentionally changed very quickly. Scholars for example notice 3 stages in the Gospel of John. Just go to wiki for "the Synoptic problem".  Then read some of the books in the bibliography or we can discuss it here as well. B.F. Streeter's Four Gospels. Commentaries on the greek Testament.  R.E. Brown, J.A. Fitzmyer. Those are believing scholars who nontheless admit the lack of historicity in the formation of the gospels.

There are also pure historians like Crossan who has written extensively and sometimes definitively.  Look at R.E. Brown on the Gospel of John, Oscar Cllman, Rudolf Bultmann.  Check out the evangelical Vincent Taylor on Mark or C.E. B. Cranfield.  Look at Fitzmyer on Luje.

Go to wiki synoptic problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synoptic_Gospels

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Q_Document/The_Synoptic_Gospels

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm        about the canon

http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~kloppen/

Followup post after investigating the 'synoptic problem' a little bit.  Though I am stating conclusively in this post, I'm still going to cross reference sources with some other knowledgeable people and see what they might have for information on the topic.

After looking into your links along with and comparing to information in other sources including and mainly from the Archeological Study Bible, It comes down to the synoptic Gospels Matthew, Mark, and Luke all theoretically using 2 documents for information:

"This theory claims that Mark was the first Gospel written (an idea referred to as "Markan priority&quotEye-wink and that Matthew and Luke both independently used Mark as a source, often polishing its literary style and making editorial changes.  Matthew and Luke also added material that is absent from Mark's Gospel." ('The synoptic problem and "Q"' the Archeological Bible)

This source goes on to say that the similar accounts and the almost identical way they portrayed certain events suggests that they were using another unknown source known as "Q Source" (from the German Quelle, meaning "source&quotEye-wink  

This 'other source' is purely hypothetical and heavily debated.  Some scholars even dismiss the "Markian Priority" and they "insist that more attention needs to be given to the fact that matthew is an eyewitness to many of the events he recorded." (Archeological Study Bible)

Comparing these and other claims from other sources and your links, they all seem to agree with the statements above.

In conclusion... at this point:

None of your sources, nor what was presented above seem to indicate a "change in the gist" of any of the stories and only suggest the problem being what sources may have been used in the synoptic Gospels for details if any.  There is nothing to suggest the gist changed or anything changed from the originals in these link or any sources or people I've talked to at this point.  maybe I've missed something and If so, please point it out.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

Edited: Taken from the previous post to this question: 

They were intentionally changed very quickly. Scholars for example notice 3 stages in the Gospel of John. Just go to wiki for "the Synoptic problem".  Then read some of the books in the bibliography or we can discuss it here as well. B.F. Streeter's Four Gospels. Commentaries on the greek Testament.  R.E. Brown, J.A. Fitzmyer. Those are believing scholars who nontheless admit the lack of historicity in the formation of the gospels.

There are also pure historians like Crossan who has written extensively and sometimes definitively.  Look at R.E. Brown on the Gospel of John, Oscar Cllman, Rudolf Bultmann.  Check out the evangelical Vincent Taylor on Mark or C.E. B. Cranfield.  Look at Fitzmyer on Luje.

Go to wiki synoptic problem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synoptic_Gospels

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Q_Document/The_Synoptic_Gospels

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03274a.htm        about the canon

http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~kloppen/

Followup post after investigating the 'synoptic problem' a little bit.  Though I am stating conclusively in this post, I'm still going to cross reference sources with some other knowledgeable people and see what they might have for information on the topic.

After looking into your links along with and comparing to information in other sources including and mainly from the Archeological Study Bible, It comes down to the synoptic Gospels Matthew, Mark, and Luke all theoretically using 2 documents for information:

"This theory claims that Mark was the first Gospel written (an idea referred to as "Markan priority&quotEye-wink and that Matthew and Luke both independently used Mark as a source, often polishing its literary style and making editorial changes.  Matthew and Luke also added material that is absent from Mark's Gospel." ('The synoptic problem and "Q"' the Archeological Bible)

This source goes on to say that the similar accounts and the almost identical way they portrayed certain events suggests that they were using another unknown source known as "Q Source" (from the German Quelle, meaning "source&quotEye-wink  

This 'other source' is purely hypothetical and heavily debated.  Some scholars even dismiss the "Markian Priority" and they "insist that more attention needs to be given to the fact that matthew is an eyewitness to many of the events he recorded." (Archeological Study Bible)

Comparing these and other claims from other sources and your links, they all seem to agree with the statements above.

In conclusion... at this point:

None of your sources, nor what was presented above seem to indicate a "change in the gist" of any of the stories and only suggest the problem being what sources may have been used in the synoptic Gospels for details if any.  There is nothing to suggest the gist changed or anything changed from the originals in these link or any sources or people I've talked to at this point.  maybe I've missed something and If so, please point it out.

You seem not to understand the implications of what you read. Or the import.  The stories are significantly changed by redaction. Would you tell me what you mean about the gist of the story. Again it changed considerably and I've presented how on multiple occasions. I will repeat again. How has the GIST of the story not changed if Jesus was simply a human being that was elevated by fabrication of literature to divinity. Where's your GIST??????????????????

Historical researchers in this field generally see jesus as a wondering Cynic teacher spouting out words of wisdom and folk philosophy. It does seem to be the core of what developed into Christianity. Jesus was a human who came from Galilee. Galilee was the only area in Palestine that was forcefully converted to Judaism.  Even so only 50% of the population was Jewish. Rabbi Hannina ben Dosa and Honi the Circle Drawer were very similar characters to Jesus. ben Dosa called god Abba like Jesus ( meaning Daddy instead of a reverential , father).  He spoke openly with women as Jesus did. The reason that historians posit these as historical is because they are contrary to the believing Jewish or Christian movement. You can see evidence that the church tried to cover up the fact that Jesus was baptized as others to get rid of sin. Historical Jesus research is a discipline to explain the sociological development of what became Christianity ... what historical kernel was the catalyst for all the mythic construction.  It is commonly understood that the bible is mythic in seminaries and theological  schools like Princeton, Yale, Stanford, Emory, Vanderbuilt. The bridge from school to church is teach it as truth and avoid the lack of factual basis. So statements are demythologized and taken into a philosophical meaning rather than a grounded factual historical meaning. Virgin birth does not really mean a women had a child and was a virgin. It becomes a story to honor jesus as both god and man.  So you have pure historical work. Then the theologians that try to make it still meaningful and then the preachers to present it as literal.  When I was in seminary my mentor (Hendrikus Boers)  who wrote Who Was Jesus? was a Marxist atheist from South Africa. He would point to people like Jurgen Moltmann (theologian) as a fraud that needed to be exposed. Then there is the whole moderate movement that tries to salvage some christianity out of the historical/critical conclusions. Crossan was on the Jesus Seminar team. He knows Jesus was simply a person who got into trouble and was removed from being an irritation.  The people who cared about where Jesus was buried did not know where he was buried. The people who did know where he was buried ( communal grave) did not care.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:caposkia

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Don't be obtuse.

you wanted me to show you that there are 'scholarly' theologians who are non-bias toward any particular point of view... this is one particular theologian.  how many do you need? 

I thought it would have been clear to you when I said the ones who were on the 'crusade', it meant high profile theists like WL Craig, John Atkins, Ray Comfort, Ravi Whatshisname etc...that are on the high profile circuit, arguing against high profile atheists, such as Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, Harris.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

That'll be the topic.

I don't think so. I'm not interested in every nit picking detail a theist can use from the bible stories.

I've never read those stories. I've never been to church, except for funerals, weddings, and baptisms.

I'm only familiar with the broad claims, like the supposed existence and resurrection of Jesus, Genesis, and the overall concept of an Ambrahamic god.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

Patently false.

Strawman.

Everyone?

I guess I would be justified in labelling you as incredibly ignorant, since science labels things as either 'theories', or 'universals' as 'laws'.

There is no 'law' of evolution. Because science is still accumulating evidence, and scientific methods are improving, with better tools and methods, to look deeper into biology.

Gravity is a law, in that it is constant, and physically affects all particles directly. It behaves consistently, and predictably. So , we call it's 'effects' a law. But, science has not concluded what it is, exactly, or how exactly it works, or how it came to be. As far as I know.

caposkia wrote:

redneF wrote:

probability and reasoning.  

That would only mean that it's theoretical, or anecdotal.

caposkia wrote:

if all history is that subjective, then nothing is really for sure.  

We were never taught that history wasn't completely subjective.

Your school taught you that ancient history in history books was all 100% 'facts'???

That explains a WHOLE bunch.

We were 'given' historical accounts. We were NOT taught that they were the 'gospel' (sic), or to take them as absolute truths.

We were NOT 'preconditioned' to not be skeptical of them, at all. They were always postulated as "To the best of our current knowledge".

I guess you're not aware of all the controversy of incompatible claims between European historians and American ones, and the political agendas in written history, and with the patent offices.

The controversies between inventions being attributed to Americans, when they appear to have been done before by Europeans.

Ever read the different histories about Nikola Tesla? Thomas Edison? Henry Ford?

The controversy surrounding the invention of radio? The controversy surrounding DC and AC electrical currents? Light bulbs? Electrical motors and generators? The automobile? The airplane?

caposkia wrote:

Apart from the obvious difference, that he is an atheist, and you are a theist, I would say that he is obviously much more skeptical, and has come to the conclusion, that ancient scriptures are equivocations (if I interpret him correctly).

Also, if I'm not mistaken, he does not think Jesus was a real person, and is only a legend.

Thanks redneF. Yes I am an atheist based upon my research as to the origins, development and fabrication of the jesus story. I am an expert by education and trade of the historical Jesus. The Jesus of which believers speak is completely a legend.  Who these legends attached to appears to have been a simple illiterate teacher from Galilee who mimiced the Cynics that walked around teaching individual philosophic folk aphorisms. Jeshua of Nazareth actually intentionally taught a contrary practice from the Cynics. The Cynic schools told their wondering speakers to carry a purse and cane. Jesus said not to carry either. He also seemed to need a group around him ( and women ) This went against the individuality of Cynicism. He died by execution and was thrown in a common grave where animals usually ate the remains. There were five or six movements that competed to have this hero legend theirs this continued for centuries and evolved into the mess we have today called Christianity.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:jcgadfly

caposkia wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

So you have research to back up your claim that it was never intended to be a history? 

I can show how a writer like the author of Matthew took no regard for history.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Thanks redneF.

TGBaker wrote:

Thanks redneF. Yes I am an atheist based upon my research as to the origins, development and fabrication of the jesus story. I am an expert by education and trade of the historical Jesus...

TG, the pleasure is all mine, to know you, and converse with you about science and theology. I'm glad that you've come along.

It blew my mind to hear of schooled theologians like Bart Ehrman and Tom Harpur, assert that the legends of Jesus seem to be complete fabrications. It's been so educational to read the opinions of previous schooled theists, like yourself, and JPTS, and numerous other 'fallen' (lol) theists, and how you arrived at becoming skeptics.

It's fascinating stuff.

Here's a link to Tom Harpur's " The Pagan Christ"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W69neFjVBw&feature=related

It looks like the legend of Jesus 'evolved'...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

No this topic is not "he said she said"

It is YOU spewing an old myth falsely believing it to be fact. You can say whatever you want, science is leaving your myth in the dust.

Some here have the patience to wade through your "I say" convoluted crap in hopes that you will see that you are wrong.

There is no debate in reality, there is just you clinging to an old myth. WE are trying to pull you out of your delusion.

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:caposkia

Brian37 wrote:

caposkia wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

No this topic is not "he said she said"

It is YOU spewing an old myth falsely believing it to be fact. You can say whatever you want, science is leaving your myth in the dust.

Some here have the patience to wade through your "I say" convoluted crap in hopes that you will see that you are wrong.

There is no debate in reality, there is just you clinging to an old myth. WE are trying to pull you out of your delusion.

Bryan this should help.   Although non-specific concepts of madness have been around for several thousand years, the psychiatrist and philosopher Karl Jaspers was the first to define the three main criteria for a belief to be considered delusional in his 1917 book General Psychopathology. These criteria are:

* certainty (held with absolute conviction)
    * incorrigibility (not changeable by compelling counterargument or proof to the contrary)
    * impossibility or falsity of content (implausible, bizarre or patently untrue)

The DSM-IV defines delusion as;
“a false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly sustained despite what almost everyone else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary”

Another definition
"A delusion is a false, unshakeable idea or belief which is out of keeping with the patient’s educational, cultural and social background; it is held with extraordinary conviction and subjective certainty" (Sims, 1995).

Even using the DSM-IV-TR criteria listed above, classification of delusional disorder is relatively subjective. The criteria "non-bizarre" and "resistant to change" and "not culturally accepted" are all subject to very individual interpretations. They create variability in how professionals diagnose the illness. The utility of diagnosing the syndrome rather than focusing on successful treatment of delusion in any form of illness is debated in the medical community. Some researchers further contend that delusional disorder, currently classified as a psychotic disorder, is actually a variation of depression and might respond better to antidepressants or therapy more similar to that utilized for depression. Also, the meaning and implications of "culturally accepted" can create problems. The cultural relativity of "delusions,"—most evident where the beliefs shown are typical of the person's subculture or religion yet would be viewed as strange or delusional by the dominant culture—can force complex choices to be made in diagnosis and treatment. An example could be that of a Haitian immigrant to the United States who believed in voodoo. If that person became aggressive toward neighbors issuing curses or hexes, believing that death is imminent at the hands of those neighbors, a question arises. The belief is typical of the individual's subculture, so the issue is whether it should be diagnosed or treated. If it were to be treated, whether the remedy should come through Western medicine, or be conducted through voodoo shamanistic treatment is the problem to be solved.

TREATMENT

Cognitive therapy has shown promise as an emerging treatment for delusions. The cognitive therapist tries to capitalize on any doubt the individual has about the delusions; then attempts to develop a joint effort with the sufferer to generate alternative explanations, assisting the client in checking the evidence. This examination proceeds in favor of the various explanations. Much of the work is done by use of empathy, asking hypothetical questions in a form of therapeutic Socratic dialogue—a process that follows a basic question and answer format, figuring out what is known and unknown before reaching a logical conclusion. Combining pharmacotherapy with cognitive therapy integrates both treating the possible underlying biological problems and decreasing the symptoms with psychotherapy.

Prognosis

Evidence collected to date indicates about 10% of cases will show some improvement of delusional symptoms though irrational beliefs may remain; 33–50% may show complete remission; and, in 30–40% of cases there will be persistent non-improving symptoms. The prognosis for clients with delusional disorder is largely related to the level of conviction regarding the delusions and the openness the person has for allowing information that contradicts the delusion.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awwww Jeez..... farmers

Awwww Jeez..... man has known for millenia that you can lead an a$$ to water, but you can't make them drink...

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Awwww

redneF wrote:

Awwww Jeez..... man has known for millenia that you can lead an a$$ to water, but you can't make them drink...

No but you can drown their asses once you get them there.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hear no evil, see no evil,

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil...

Joker
atheist
Joker's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Joker

caposkia wrote:

Joker wrote:

Your perspective is not very different.  it is a concept that Christians discuss and comprehend daily.  There's a reason why a good seminary teaches about the beliefs of other religions and their history.  There's a reason why scholarly Christians are still followers of Christ and not a part of any other religion that would in a he said/she said scenario hold equal amounts of support.  History shows a basis and appeal for each religion out there but their histories have in most cases obvious beginnings and even in most cases unintentional beginnings.  

You kind of missed my point. I was trying to point out that being unable to prove the nonexistance of something doesn't prove it, nor does it give it a better than minor chance to exist. In my Barashul argument I could claim that we both have a 50% chance of being right, and while that might be technically true it doesn't mean that the actual odds of how our beliefs would be reflected in reality would be the same. I should also point out that part of why many Christians don't enter other faiths has more to do with them simply applying skepticism to those beliefs but not to their own or their indoctrinations and preconcieved notions acting as a king of mental armor.