The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The New Atheist Crusaders and their quest for the Unholy Grail

Hey all.  It's been a while since I've been on. I appologise, I've been busy. 

The title of this forum is the title of a book I just finished reading.  It's a catchy title, so I figured it'd be a good way to grab someone's attention on here.  The book is written by Becky Garrison. 

If her name doesn't sound familiar, that's fine, it shouldn't.  So why am I wasting your time telling you about this book?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  This is a book written by a True Christian.  HUH?  For all of you who have discussed with me in the past, you understand what I'm talking about and for those of you who haven't you can research my blogs.  Caposkia is my name. 

Anyway, It's written from the viewpoint of how a true Christian feels about of course the atheists in the world today, but more importantly for you, how she feels about Christians in the world. 

This is for all of you arguing with me about how Christians have to be black and white.  How you have to follow a religion and there's nothing outside of religion etc.  She touches on all of this.  I truly think you'll enjoy reading this book and I would like to hear from those of you who have read it if anyone.  If not, I"ll wait till someone finishes it.  It's not a very long book.

When I first came onto this site, I wanted to discuss directly with those who were involved in the infamous television debate that RRS was involved in about the existence of God with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron.  They didn't have time and the other non-believers I came across were too opinionated to involve themselves in a conversation that made any progress.  Instead I got into other debates which for the most part were a lot of fun, but I digress. 

Becky mentions this debate as well in her book at the end.  This is for all of you on here I've talked to who would not believe me or had other personal issues with the fact that my opinion didn't flow with their idea of a Christian.  I will breifly say that I hold her viewpoint when she says that if she was at that debate, she would have "crawled out of that church in shame. "

Simply put, we both agree that both sides put forth deplorable excuses for their side and did not defend their side succesfully.  I know I know, many of you will disagree and say that RRS did disprove the existance of God in that debate, but enough with the opinions, I'm saying the other side did just as good of a job proving God.  This debate is a poor excuse to not follow Christ and this book talks about those types of Christians.

This book should clarify many misunderstandings of how True Christians are and I hope bring light to a new understanding of our following. 

It is written differently than most books, but is an informational peice and uses a lot of researched information.  It does focus on the "New Atheists" and is not a book preaching to the masses.  As said, it is from the point of  view of a True Christian.

enjoy, let me know your thoughts.  I would also request, please be respectful in your responses.  I'm here to have mature discussions with people. 

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You dipshit.

Brian37 wrote:
You dipshit. The "manipulation" can't be done by the writers because they didn't have the scientific tools to know what "stretching" WAS and "stretching" IS NOT what scientists call it today.

First of all, why the name calling? You don't know me from a hole in the ground and I don't know you so there is no need to be immature. Oh, I'm sorry! What do scientists call it today, expanding. Last time I checked stretching is a synonym for expanding.

Brian37 wrote:
THE manipulation is being done by modern society who don't want their myth to die, so they conflate ambiguous words written by scientifically ignorant people to mean something THEY want it to mean.

BACK THEN there was no way the were even "on to something" BECAUSE THEY HAD NO CLUE, they could demonstrate any scientific knowledge. BECAUSE THAT WAS NOT THE WRITERS INTENT. Their only intent was to market their superstition. Everything to the writers was explained with "GOD DID IT".

Stretch is not an ambiguous word. Explain to me how I can make the word stretch mean what I want it to mean.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Typical dishonest Christian

Typical dishonest Christian argument.

You find some phrase that can be vaguely mapped to some actual contemporary scientific knowledge, and say "see?", the Bible is accuratel!" while ignoring all the crap which is explicitly in contradiction to other things science has established.

Like that the Earth did not exist in any form until 9 billion years after the Big Bang, and there is no sense in which the visible stars are or were 'stretching' over the Earth. The 'stretching' only applies to the space between groups of galaxies.

Light, and the Sun, were in existence well before there was any planet Earth. The stars certainly were not added as an afterthought near the end of the story as Genesis portrays - they were there before anything described in Genesis.

And the Earth had no water on it till it had cooled sufficiently, and there is no reason to believe that water ever completely covered the surface. So the Land has always existed, and the Oceans formed in the lower areas later. The story that the 'waters were gathered together' into certain areas to leave some dry land is totally backward.

Life arose in the oceans before emerging onto land, first plants and then animals. Much much later did birds emerge, altho there were flying reptiles before that, but still long after life emerged onto land.

By the time Man emerged all the families of animals and plants had been around for a long time.

Now tell us how that all fits into the Bible story before you start claiming it came up with any scientifically established ideas.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:So that's why

jcgadfly wrote:
So that's why when you try to show the Bible is scientific you have to reinterpret the Bible. The science book doesn't change.

Science is constantly changing are you kidding me. There are new scientific discoveries everyday. The Bible says "stretching" and science says "expanding." I hope you know these are synonyms. There is no reinterpretation going on.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:jcgadfly

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
So that's why when you try to show the Bible is scientific you have to reinterpret the Bible. The science book doesn't change.

Science is constantly changing are you kidding me. There are new scientific discoveries everyday. The Bible says "stretching" and science says "expanding." I hope you know these are synonyms. There is no reinterpretation going on.

Science is constantly changing because science discovers new information. Science texts have never been changed to be in accordance with the Bible.

It is always the Bible that is reshaped to align with science.

The Bible says "stretched" not "stretching" - that's your interpretation that you are trying to fit into science. The word "stretching" is nowhere to be found.

I imagine if you'd actually read the thing you'd know. Then again, if you'd actually read the thing you'd be an atheist.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Typical

BobSpence1 wrote:

You find some phrase that can be vaguely mapped to some actual contemporary scientific knowledge, and say "see?", the Bible is accuratel!" while ignoring all the crap which is explicitly in contradiction to other things science has established.

Like that the Earth did not exist in any form until 9 billion years after the Big Bang, and there is no sense in which the visible stars are or were 'stretching' over the Earth. The 'stretching' only applies to the space between groups of galaxies.

The Bible doesn't claim the earth had form the instant the Big Band happened. Verse one says "In the beginning God created the heavens and earth" i.e. all matter, space, time and energy and some of the matter eventually formed into the earth 9 billion years later.  

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Science is

jcgadfly wrote:
Science is constantly changing because science discovers new information. Science texts have never been changed to be in accordance with the Bible.

The Bible says "stretched" not "stretching" - that's your interpretation that you are trying to fit into science. The word "stretching" is nowhere to be found.

I imagine if you'd actually read the thing you'd know. Then again, if you'd actually read the thing you'd be an atheist.

There is nothing wrong with reinterpreting the Bible. In order for us to understand what the truth is we may have to adjust our interpretation as new scientific discoveries are made to understand the Bible more clearly. That would be the same as reading a book at a young age but not understanding all of it then coming back and reading that same book a few years later as our knowledge of vocabulary increases so we understand what the author was trying to convey in the first place. Your right, the word "stretching" is nowhere to be found. The words "stretched" and "stretches" are. "Stretches" implies a continuous act. Try again to tell me I'm misinterpreting.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:BobSpence1

Lee2216 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

The Bible doesn't claim the earth had form the instant the Big Band happened. Verse one says "In the beginning God created the heavens and earth" i.e. all matter, space, time and energy and some of the matter eventually formed into the earth 9 billion years later.  

"the heavens and the earth", you twit. Not 'matter'. The earth did not exist in any sense till much later. you are trying to make a myth fit reality. It doesn't.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

There is nothing wrong with reinterpreting the Bible. In order for us to understand what the truth is we may have to adjust our interpretation as new scientific discoveries are made to understand the Bible more clearly. That would be the same as reading a book at a young age but not understanding all of it then coming back and reading that same book a few years later as our knowledge of vocabulary increases so we understand what the author was trying to convey in the first place. Your right, the word "stretching" is nowhere to be found. The words "stretched" and "stretches" are. "Stretches" implies a continuous act. Try again to tell me I'm misinterpreting.

There is when you are using this reinterpretation for disingenuous purposes - like your "the Bible said God stretched (and stretches) out the heavens like a canopy and science says the universe is expanding so the Bible perfectly explained cosmology before science did".

Oh, and thanks again for proving my point. When science changes one piece of information, the whole of the Bible must be reinterpreted to fit. No science book has been rewritten to harmonize with the Bible.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:"the

BobSpence1 wrote:

"the heavens and the earth", you twit. Not 'matter'. The earth did not exist in any sense till much later. you are trying to make a myth fit reality. It doesn't.

The earth was created, that's not a myth. All the matter in the entire universe was created at the big bang. The earth is made of matter so the Bible is correct in saying the earth was created in the beginning. This fits perfectly with reality AND the Bible but you choose to reject this evidence for a creator.

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Oh, and

jcgadfly wrote:
Oh, and thanks again for proving my point. When science changes one piece of information, the whole of the Bible must be reinterpreted to fit. No science book has been rewritten to harmonize with the Bible.

The whole of the Bible has to be reinterpreted - WRONG!! The Bible hasn't been rewritten either - WRONG!!

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

The earth was created, that's not a myth. All the matter in the entire universe was created at the big bang. The earth is made of matter so the Bible is correct in saying the earth was created in the beginning. This fits perfectly with reality AND the Bible but you choose to reject this evidence for a creator.

It is meaningless to say the Earth was created at the Big Bang. The Earth is NOT just the matter that it is composed of. It is a particular sub-set of the particles of matter in the universe, formed into particular atoms and molecules, which were part of different astronomical bodies before coming together as a particular planet.

Why doesn't it say God created Man right at the beginning? And everything else? That would make just as much sense, they are all made of particles (mostly) formed at the Big Bang. Some particles condensed out of raw energy later, others changed their nature - a neutron can split into a proton and an electron

You are so clearly trying to make the myth of Genesis fit the known facts, and still ignoring all the other blatant errors I pointed out.

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Bob, where do cars come

Bob, where do cars come from?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

The whole of the Bible has to be reinterpreted - WRONG!! The Bible hasn't been rewritten either - WRONG!!

Re-interpretation is not rewriting.

When you look at "In beginning God created the heavens and the earth" and you say "That means the Bible writers had divine inspiration to predict the Big Bang theory before science composed it" - that's re-interpretation. You're trying to make the Bible fit science (which means you have to change the Bible into a book of cosmology/biology/whatever the theist needs. The closest that you guys got to changing science books to fit scripture was thankfully and mercifully killed in Kitzmiller v. Dover.

I would cal you numbnuts but I'd be insulting anaesthitized testicles needlessly.

— George Carlin

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:When you look

jcgadfly wrote:
When you look at "In beginning God created the heavens and the earth" and you say "That means the Bible writers had divine inspiration to predict the Big Bang theory before science composed it" - that's re-interpretation. You're trying to make the Bible fit science (which means you have to change the Bible into a book of cosmology/biology/whatever the theist needs. The closest that you guys got to changing science books to fit scripture was thankfully and mercifully killed in Kitzmiller v. Dover.

How could the Bible writers predict the big bang when the Bible was written long after the big bang? You make no sense.

I was specifically talking about the expansion of the universe not the big bang. You guys like to change topics very frequently because you know if you stick to one topic with a theist it will be obvious how you have no reason or logic.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

How could the Bible writers predict the big bang when the Bible was written long after the big bang? You make no sense.

I was specifically talking about the expansion of the universe not the big bang. You guys like to change topics very frequently because you know if you stick to one topic with a theist it will be obvious how you have no reason or logic.

Yes that's another example of how you have to reinterpret the Bible to be a science book. You could just as easily say "The Bible said that God stretches out the heavens like a curtain so God told the prophets of the Bible that the universe is expanding before science discovered it".

How could the Bible writers "predict" this? They didn't. it's guys like you who reinterpret the scripture to make your book of myth fit science.

You can reinterpret scripture to say anything. In fact, I expect that you probably have.

I'm still on the same topic. You reinterpret the Bible to fit science because trying to change science tofit the Bible would fly in the face of all the discoveries that have been made. Why do you keep saying you don't?

— George Carlin

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
Expansion - the act of or

Expansion - the act of or process of expanding.

Stretch - to lengthen, widen, or distend.

reinterpret - assign a new or different meaning to.

No one is reinterpreting anything. Your make yourself look like a fool. Until you can have a reasonable and honest discussion rather than being dishonest I'm done wasting my time talking to you.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:Expansion -

Lee2216 wrote:

No one is reinterpreting anything. Your make yourself look like a fool. Until you can have a reasonable and honest discussion rather than being dishonest I'm done wasting my time talking to you.

Ah, now you're wasting your time talking to me - the last refuge of the pwned.

You believe that since the Bible says that God stretched out the heavens that the Bible is now a science book and the scientists that discovered that the universe is expanding were wasting their time.

So...is the Bible a science book or a religious text? If you believe the former:

You believe that because the bible says that a bat is a bird should we rewrite zoology?

You believe that since the Bible set "value is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter in the Euclidean plane" (borrowed from Wikipedia's definition of pi) equal to 3 all the math books should be rewritten?

That's your logic. Don't blame me if it sounds stupid when it's returned to you.

— George Carlin

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote: Bob, where

Lee2216 wrote:

Bob, where do cars come from?

Irrelevant, because they are clearly designed by conscious creatures, and since they cannot self-reproduce, they cannot have evolved.

Whereas life-forms, which are capable of self-reproduction, and so can evolve from simpler things, only need for some basic self-reproducing molecules to have formed at least once across billions of years and billions of billions of planets, to get started. It has already been shown that such molecules can form under conditions likely to been in existence on an early planet.

Many life-forms contain examples of very poor 'design', which is easily explicable by the limitations of blind evolution, but make no sense if an infinitely knowledgable designer was involved.

So don't try the 'design' argument, the evidence is all against an intelligent God being involved, unless he was playing silly games.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:Expansion -

Lee2216 wrote:

You don't even realize how much you are helping us out in this thread. I am hoping that your fellow brethren Caposkia who started this thread can see how ridiculous he is being with his "metaphysics" as an attempt to get around science.

Here is what BOTH of you are doing, and even Muslims and Jews do.

Naked assertion(insert claim here)<=pseudo formula here<=desired outcome

Here is how good logic works

Prior established data independently replicated and falsified=established formula=projected outcome

Otherwise the gods of the Greeks would be real because they were the first to use the word "atom".

DO YOU believe in Allah when someone quotes the Koran and claims it to be science?

No!

And I don't believe you, or any Muslim or Caposkias ridiculous "metaphysics" crap simply because you utter it.

What is universal is what WE have in common, not our pet claims or desires. It is why a Muslim or Jew or you and I can type on these computers. It is why humans have landed on the moon.

YOU are simply trying to fit a square peg into a round hole because the IDEA of a super hero appeals to you. You are not special, neither is Caposikia or any Jew or Muslim in their claims.

What you wont get away with here is trying to retrofit modern science to prop up your magical invisible super brain claim.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Irrelevant,

BobSpence1 wrote:
Irrelevant, because they are clearly designed by conscious creatures, and since they cannot self-reproduce, they cannot have evolved.

Whereas life-forms, which are capable of self-reproduction, and so can evolve from simpler things, only need for some basic self-reproducing molecules to have formed at least once across billions of years and billions of billions of planets, to get started. It has already been shown that such molecules can form under conditions likely to been in existence on an early planet.

Many life-forms contain examples of very poor 'design', which is easily explicable by the limitations of blind evolution, but make no sense if an infinitely knowledgable designer was involved.

So don't try the 'design' argument, the evidence is all against an intelligent God being involved, unless he was playing silly games.

No it's not irrelevant. You admit that cars are clearly designed but you don't want to admit that the universe was designed. The universe is much more complex than a car. I don't have a problem with microevolution. In order for life-forms or basic self-producing  molecules to reproduce the first one has to be created. Things just don't come from nothing Bob! That's basic logic and reasoning that a little kid can understand but for some reason you can't get that through your thick skull. You can throw all the science you want at me but that still doesn't help you explain why we are here and how everything got here in the first place. The Bible explains it!

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You don't even

Brian37 wrote:
You don't even realize how much you are helping us out in this thread. I am hoping that your fellow brethren Caposkia who started this thread can see how ridiculous he is being with his "metaphysics" as an attempt to get around science.

Prior established data independently replicated and falsified=established formula=projected outcome

Otherwise the gods of the Greeks would be real because they were the first to use the word "atom".

DO YOU believe in Allah when someone quotes the Koran and claims it to be science?

No!

And I don't believe you, or any Muslim or Caposkias ridiculous "metaphysics" crap simply because you utter it.

What is universal is what WE have in common, not our pet claims or desires. It is why a Muslim or Jew or you and I can type on these computers. It is why humans have landed on the moon.

YOU are simply trying to fit a square peg into a round hole because the IDEA of a super hero appeals to you. You are not special, neither is Caposikia or any Jew or Muslim in their claims.

What you wont get away with here is trying to retrofit modern science to prop up your magical invisible super brain claim.

As I was telling Bob you can throw all the science you want at me that still doesn't help your position on explaining to me the why and how you and I are here and why the universe is here. Science doesn't have an answer but the Bible does. Simple reason and logic can be used to know there is a creator. Since cars exist we KNOW there are designers who made the car. Since the earth and the universe exists we KNOW there is designer who created it. This is basic logic and reason that a little kid can understand and the Atheist simply can't get around this logic. Anyone who looks at the universe and believes it came from nothing is a fool!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:Brian37

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

No!

As I was telling Bob you can throw all the science you want at me that still doesn't help your position on explaining to me the why and how you and I are here and why the universe is here. Science doesn't have an answer but the Bible does. Simple reason and logic can be used to know there is a creator. Since cars exist we KNOW there are designers who made the car. Since the earth and the universe exists we KNOW there is designer who created it. This is basic logic and reason that a little kid can understand and the Atheist simply can't get around this logic. Anyone who looks at the universe and believes it came from nothing is a fool!

It sure is a good thing that no one here believes that the universe came from nothing, isn't it? That's the theistic position - I thought you'd read the Bible.

You may know that the universe has a designer but you can only believe that the designer is the God of the Bible. You only believe that because of circular reasoning.

Why does "I don't know" scare theists so much?

— George Carlin

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:Things just

Lee2216 wrote:
Things just don't come from nothing Bob!

Can you prove there is such a thing as "nothing" ? 

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Lee2216

Anonymouse wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

No I can't. What's your point?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

No!

You are the one bastardizing science. You would not buy the same crap you are throwing at us if it were some other religion trying to convince you that their god exists.

Why are we here? EASY......EVOLUTION, sorry you don't want to accept that. We are not the inept writers of the bible. why does the universe exist? EASY, natural non-cognitive processes. No Allah/Yahwey/Vishnu or Thor needed.

"design" argument is bullshit. Do you think your feces is "designed"? And what a great "design" we have in that we can choke to death because we share the same HOLE we breath and eat with, but dolphins and whales do not.

Not to mention that cockroaches and bacteria OUTNUMBER humans and have been around a lot longer and will still be around long after our species goes extinct.

Do you really want to think of this "design" argument when your "all seeing" god watches you pee and poo and have sex? Remember that daddy is watching you when you do this.

You fail to consider that a what is what is going on, and "magical super who" IS NOT needed, anymore than Thor is needed to make lighting.

Did it ever occur to you that a WHAT, is what is going on and that a "MAGICAL WHO, with super powers" is not required. I guess Steven Hawkins doesn't know shit when he says, "A god is not required".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

No it's not irrelevant. You admit that cars are clearly designed but you don't want to admit that the universe was designed. The universe is much more complex than a car. I don't have a problem with microevolution. In order for life-forms or basic self-producing  molecules to reproduce the first one has to be created. Things just don't come from nothing Bob! That's basic logic and reasoning that a little kid can understand but for some reason you can't get that through your thick skull. You can throw all the science you want at me but that still doesn't help you explain why we are here and how everything got here in the first place. The Bible explains it!

If things don't come from nothing, where did your God come from? You cannot logically exclude God from that statement. If God came from nothing, or always existed, then so could a completely non-conscious raw 'sea' of energy. If at least one entity can meet some condition, then it is not logically impossible. Logic is not restricted to our 'natural' universe, it applies wherever we are talking about identifiable objects or entities or aspects of reality, and where something cannot be both itself and its opposite.

EDIT: Actually it would be more accurate to ask rather than "can something come from nothing", can "something simply begin to exist". Since nothing can come from nothing - that would arguably be meaningless, because "from" requires an origin, ie not "nothing". Most things are formed by rearranging existing stuff. A new arrangement of things can make a pattern, a structure, which didn't exist before. For a material object, the stuff it is made of existed before, but it as a particular entity, did not. It began to exist. It didn't "come from" any place, or any other thing, altho its parts may well have been put together by something else. There are things which spontaneously tend to form particular structures, such as the many substances which form highly structured crystals when they change state from gas or liquid to solid form. These are referred to as "self-organizing".

As for how the stuff things are made of came to exist, or perhaps simply always exited, that is another question. Energy is something which, in itself, is not tangible or visible in many of its forms, yet particles of matter can form from it. It would seem to be the base of 'existence'. The sum total energy of existence is apparently fixed, but energy can manifest in positive and negative forms, which means new energy can come to exist, as long as it appears in matching amounts of positive and negative forms, which is what is currently understood to be the case in the Big Bang origin of our universe. Just as particles can form spontaneously, but only in complementary pairs.

As for design, there is no evidence that the Universe is designed, especially as compared to a car. The Universe has a lot of disorganized content which serves no particular purpose, unlike a car.

Comparing a car to the universe is like comparing a car to a pile of scrap metal, glass and plastic, with a couple of ants crawling over it.

When it comes to Life, it has already been shown in the lab that basic self-replicating molecules (RNA) can form from natural processes, without being consciously designed.

Living things have many aspects of their 'design' which are very far from perfect, which are easily understandable from the viewpoint of evolution, which is purposeless and only able to proceed by small steps.

But those steps can keep going indefinitely far from the starting point, since there is no known mechanism for checking each generation against some 'standard' form for that creature, so there is nothing we know of that can stop a sequence of 'micro-evolutionary' steps from adding up to 'macro-evolution'.

Quantum mechanics shows that at the level of sub-atomic particles, things do appear to be able to "come from nothing". Logic does not preclude something coming from nothing. Please give me the logical argument for your statement in precise logical form.

OTOH, Logic does show that the Bible cannot be entirely true, because it contains inconsistencies and contradictions, which are explicitly against the prime axioms of logic.

'God' is not an ultimate explanation, since it is even harder to explain than the Universe. Whereas the emergence of the complex things from simpler things is seen all the time, so the emergence of a Universe from the tiniest bit of random energy is not logically impossible. Add in the observations and experiments from Quantum Mechanics, and spontaneous appearance of such a minimal chunk of energy/matter is not precluded by observation. The eternal pre-existence, or spontaneous emergence, of a state of matter-energy as close to nothing as possible, a level corresponding to the inherent 'fuzziness' of reality at that level, seems far more plausible to me than a conscious all-powerful being.

IOW I propose that almost-nothing was what preceded the Universe, which is not in basic conflict with logic or scientific evidence, whereas you insist it had be a God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Lee2216

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

No!

It sure is a good thing that no one here believes that the universe came from nothing, isn't it? That's the theistic position - I thought you'd read the Bible.

You may know that the universe has a designer but you can only believe that the designer is the God of the Bible. You only believe that because of circular reasoning.

Why does "I don't know" scare theists so much?

Everything we know about the "big bang" SHOWS that these motions are of a non-cognitive process, just like a rain cloud does not have a brain to deliberately drop rain. It is true that no one knows what came before the "big bang" but considering every thing that came from it, it would stand to reason that what came before was just as natural and not a thinking brain, anymore than a cloud can think about dropping rain.

Cognition is the EMERGENT property of biological evolution and has nothing to do with the universe. We are a product of a range of climates of conditions and luck over extremely long periods of time, not some comic book super hero by any name.

What humans do is simple anthropomorphism. It is merely projecting human qualities on non-human objects. It is merely imagination and wishful thinking. It wasn't true when humans thought volcanos were gods. It wasn't true when the Egyptians thought the sun was a thinking being for over 3,000 years, and the gods of the Abrahamic traditions are just as made up for the same reasons the other dead myths were. People like the idea of a super hero. It gives them a false sense of importance.

To try to take any myth, even more modern crap like Scientology based on a fiction writer and try to claim it is reality is delusional.

None of what humans have in common which is tested and falsified and independently verified, is based on any religion or myth.

If you really think that a magical invisible super brain with a magic wand did all this, you might as well believe that the earth is flat and the moon is made of cheese.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:Anonymouse

Lee2216 wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

No I can't.

Then what are you even talking about ?

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Why are we

Brian37 wrote:
Why are we here? EASY......EVOLUTION, sorry you don't want to accept that.

Evolution doesn't explain the origin of all living things it only explains how things change. Macro-evolution has never been scientifically proven to be fact. So no, I don't accept that as an explanation of our origins.

Brian37 wrote:
"design" argument is bullshit. Do you think your feces is "designed"? And what a great "design" we have in that we can choke to death because we share the same HOLE we breath and eat with, but dolphins and whales do not.

No it's really not!! Choking to death does not imply bad design. Accidents happen, people choke to death unfortunately. Yes your going to choke if you try to breath thru your mouth while your trying to eat something...duh!!! That's what your nostrils are for...duh!! 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Evolution doesn't explain the origin of all living things it only explains how things change. Macro-evolution has never been scientifically proven to be fact. So no, I don't accept that as an explanation of our origins.

Brian37 wrote:

No it's really not!! Choking to death does not imply bad design. Accidents happen, people choke to death unfortunately. Yes your going to choke if you try to breath thru your mouth while your trying to eat something...duh!!! That's what your nostrils are for...duh!! 

In reverse:

1. Choking to death is not bad design. Needing to eat through the same hole we breathe through and having an easily confused epiglottis is. Hey, if we're going to talk about choking hazards, let's actually talk about why it happens. It's the epiglottis covering the wrong tube, not mouth breathing while eating.

2. Speciation (what you like to call "macroevolution&quotEye-wink has been proven. Google "Observed instances of speciation". It's amusing to me that you can simultaneously approve of and dismiss evolution. Evolution is evolution - the theistic macro/micro difference is BS. "Macroevolution" is just a lot of microevolutions over a longer time frame.

Note: If you are referring to "macroevolution" as "one animal turning into another, completely different animal", you are talking about clade jumping. the existence of such an animal would actually disprove evolutionary theory. If you want to disprove evolution, that's what you should be looking for.

— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Accidents happen. Right, but there is no need for a magical puppeteer to state the obvious. WHAT I am saying is if your car is designed with bad breaks, is it your fault, or the manufacturer?

However, if there is no magical manufacturer, and the uncognitive process of evolution is what is going on, then "accidents happen" makes sense.

Otherwise I could sell you a car with bad breaks and blame you for what I built and you couldn't sue me.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote: I came in this

Ktulu wrote:

I came in this post way too late, it had turned into a scream fest between Brian and Cap.  I'm relatively new to the forum so I was browsing topics.  Now I know the OP was more then 2 years ago, but what drew my attention was the word 'Unholy'...  The obvious resonance to the 'Holy Grail' aside I believe it was in the title specifically to demonise atheists.  I read your opinion on it earlier that it just means not of god.  

As I was learning English I had to study a dictionary on regular basis.  Now both you and I know that your average person will read Unholy as Demonic, and your understanding of the word represents a minority.  Suppose the other side of the spectrum someone not familiar with English at all.  Here is the dictionary definition.

un·ho·ly   

[uhn-hoh-lee] 

–adjective, -li·er, -li·est.

1. not holy; not sacred or hallowed.

2. impious; sinful; wicked.

3. Informal . dreadful; ungodly: "They got us out of bed at the unholy hour of three in the morning."

Here's a passage from the bible Lev 2 3:2

"For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, UNHOLY, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God..."

I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that the author meant unholy as it's least offensive, counter popular understanding definition.  Perhaps you can highlight some of the ORIGINAL arguments that this author makes.  I like to get my mind blown once a week at least, and since I don't go to church anymore... 

I'm sure my response won't blow your mind, but unholy as defined is literally not of God... In other words, anything that's not holy, not sacred or hallowed is not of God.

Anything that is impious, sinful and wicked is not of God.

Anything that is ungodly is not of god, though the third definition eludes to the conversational aspect of the word and is irrelevant to the point here.  The idea is that it's not of God.  

By a religious standard, there is only 2 sides to the fence and no one can sit on the fence.  Either you're of God or you're not.  In the case of this forum, the "unholy Grail" is the cup of all that is not of God.  I don't believe any atheist on here would disagree that they're seeking everything out that is not of God because the one thing they're trying to prove is that god is not real.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Interesting.If you look at

Interesting.

If you look at the Bible, God has committed acts that would make a human "not of God".

Is God now ungodly?

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Cap, I do not

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, I do not know what happened with your font and color, but do try to fix it.

what happened to my font and color?  it all looks normal on my end?  

did that change it?

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, there will always be competing claims, even amongst scientists. The difference between your garbage and the universal tool of scientific method, is that the tool of scientific method is designed to weed out bias. Your claptrap is nothing but psuedo intellectual mental masturbation which cannot, nor ever will lead to things like IPODS or neurobiology.

sure it weeds out bias... but only for those who want to accept it.... as I've said, there's many people out there who won't accept proven science... not because it hasn't been put to the scientific test, but because they just don't want to see it.

Brian37 wrote:

All you have is something you want to be real, not something you can prove to be real.

that statement can be applied to your perspective as well, you'll have to do better than that

Brian37 wrote:

Again, if you are going to ask me to measure the world with a Kaleidoscope vs a telescope, there is no debate. There  is only YOU fooling yourself with wishful thinking.

really?  you're the one asking me to use tools that aren't designed to measure in the way you want me to use them.

Brian37 wrote:

If what you had in your head was so earth shatteringly true, the foundation of the history of scientific method would be already on top of it and it would be taken seriously and would be taught as universally as entropy and thermodynamics.

hmm... that type of confidence in something in all honesty take "faith"... are you saying you're a faithful man?  

Brian37 wrote:

I would bet though, that if we did a live scan of your brain while you had your "thoughts" of what you think is and how warm and fuzzy it makes you feel, it would not surprise me in the least if we found higher levels of activity in your brain responsible for releasing the "feel good" chemicals all humans have.

Ok sure... be it that in order to feel warm fuzzies as you claim for God to be present, my body would have to process the feeling in my brain and send signals to my nerve endings.... Sit me by a warm fire after being out in the cold all day and I'm willing to bet you'd get the same reading.  does that mean God doesn't exist?  of course not.  Does it mean he does exist?  of course not.  Brain waves have never proven anything spiritually either way.  

The fact that brain activity happens suggests that something is happening, whether it's by the persons own doing or divine influence is up for debate... why?  live brain scans are doing just that, scanning the brain, not scanning for spiritual intervention.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, I do not know what happened with your font and color, but do try to fix it.

what happened to my font and color?  it all looks normal on my end?  

did that change it?

Brian37 wrote:

Cap, there will always be competing claims, even amongst scientists. The difference between your garbage and the universal tool of scientific method, is that the tool of scientific method is designed to weed out bias. Your claptrap is nothing but psuedo intellectual mental masturbation which cannot, nor ever will lead to things like IPODS or neurobiology.

sure it weeds out bias... but only for those who want to accept it.... as I've said, there's many people out there who won't accept proven science... not because it hasn't been put to the scientific test, but because they just don't want to see it.

Brian37 wrote:

All you have is something you want to be real, not something you can prove to be real.

that statement can be applied to your perspective as well, you'll have to do better than that

Brian37 wrote:

Again, if you are going to ask me to measure the world with a Kaleidoscope vs a telescope, there is no debate. There  is only YOU fooling yourself with wishful thinking.

really?  you're the one asking me to use tools that aren't designed to measure in the way you want me to use them.

Brian37 wrote:

If what you had in your head was so earth shatteringly true, the foundation of the history of scientific method would be already on top of it and it would be taken seriously and would be taught as universally as entropy and thermodynamics.

hmm... that type of confidence in something in all honesty take "faith"... are you saying you're a faithful man?  

Brian37 wrote:

I would bet though, that if we did a live scan of your brain while you had your "thoughts" of what you think is and how warm and fuzzy it makes you feel, it would not surprise me in the least if we found higher levels of activity in your brain responsible for releasing the "feel good" chemicals all humans have.

Ok sure... be it that in order to feel warm fuzzies as you claim for God to be present, my body would have to process the feeling in my brain and send signals to my nerve endings.... Sit me by a warm fire after being out in the cold all day and I'm willing to bet you'd get the same reading.  does that mean God doesn't exist?  of course not.  Does it mean he does exist?  of course not.  Brain waves have never proven anything spiritually either way.  

The fact that brain activity happens suggests that something is happening, whether it's by the persons own doing or divine influence is up for debate... why?  live brain scans are doing just that, scanning the brain, not scanning for spiritual intervention.

1. I'm not having a problem with your font or color. A mod may have stepped in.

2. What part of God is proven science?

3. I'm not sure if the issue is not being able to use science to measure the metaphysical or the vibe of "You can't measure it scientifically so it MUST be real" that I'm getting from you.

4. Religious faith is different from contigent faith (taken from observable, repeatable results)

5. See point 3. Not being able to measure something does not automatically guarantee it's existence.

6. Brain activity is measurable. If (as you believe) the cause is divine influence that means divine influence can be measured (taking out your argument).

— George Carlin

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Don't be silly.

redneF wrote:

Don't be silly. We don't use scales to 'weigh' metaphysical philosophies either, because they're ideas, and NOTHING more. It's just philosophies conjured up by humans.

welcome to the chaos.

Just to warn you, whenever I have made a factual statement I have been challenged to support it and I have faithfully.  For you to claim what you have above, you must have evidence to support it.. otherwise I can claim that the absence of God is nothing more than "philosophies conjured up by humans."

redneF wrote:

And last I heard, no religion has EVER done anything more than produce claims.

depends on what you are referring to here.  religions haven't really produced much more than claims, but then again, that's why I hate religion.  Yes, I do believe in God and yes that's categorized as religion by definition, but the difference between what I believe and religion is I never claim anything that doesn't have support.

This of course might lead into the, 'you claim god's real, so support it' attack, but of course in order for me to do that, you'd need to define a means of support that you would accept.  Be it that there are many many directions to go in, i'd need your help in finding a direction if you were actually interested.  

redneF wrote:

It's not rational at ALL to conclude that some 'all powerful' single creator created the universe, and everything in it, out of thin air.

Who claimed it was out of thin air?... oh yea, Big Bang evolutionists did... right... yea, I'm not one of them.

Ultimately, we don't know how God created it or from what... all we know is that he did.   To claim it was out of thin air is to claim you know something about what was going on before creation.  I'm guessing you don't.

redneF wrote:

It's downright inane to believe such an extraordinary idea.

is it?  Why?  no evidence?  As far as creation goes, we don't have evidence of exactly how it happened... but people still take sides.  Yes, there's evidence of a possible Big Bang, but then again, why wouldn't that be Gods way of creating?  What evidence would you have against God being behind it other than "lack of evidence of what actually happened."

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:
You seem stuck on the universal standard.  You add that it is so that "everyone" can accept it... here's the problem with that conclusion.  Even with science and history showing us that something actually exists and being able to prove it, there are still people in the world that don't accept certain scientific facts.  

Don't strawman that there's a problem with the scientific method, because there's people out there who ignore scientific findings.

er... I wasn't... I was claiming that there's a problem with people.  I support the scientific method.

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:
Is it because the scientific method has failed that aspect of science?  of course not.  It's because those people don't want to accept it and therefore have convinced themselves that it's not true.  

Well, duh...

You'd figure it'd be obvious, but Brian doesn't seem to get it.

redneF wrote:

Which only proves how ignorance abounds, still, to this day, whereas centuries ago, 80% of humans thought the earth was flat, and that the sun revolved around the earth.

Science has no bias. People do.

What was your point again?

Actually, that 80% of people you claim believed the Earth was flat... that was a localized epidemic.  If you look at the history of other cultures around the world, it was generally accepted that the earth was at least somewhat spherical.  

redneF wrote:

caposkia wrote:
 ...second, you expect scientific instruments... designed to study the physical to work when studying the metaphysical.  

F**k do like to strawman, or what?

are you kidding me?  Brain likes using strawman.  i'm trying to diffuse them.  

redneF wrote:

STFU about trying to use 'instruments' to study the metaphysical. There's NOTHING but conjuring in metaphysics.

Read that again.

N O T H I N G.............................................................. but conjuring.

talk about loving strawman.  Have research backing this claim up?

redneF wrote:

All theists need to do, is produce facts.

I know.  Are you willing to discuss the facts?

redneF wrote:

So, in lieu of 'facts', they produce 'arguments', and 'conjecture'. AKA: "Hot Air"

nah, I'm just messing with Brain.  He really doesn't care to make progress in a conversation.

redneF wrote:

That argument is soon going to become moot, as we come nearer and nearer to technological singularity, and artificial intelligence grows in complexity and computing power. And with Moore's Law being what it is, the 'answers' might actually appear in our lifetimes...

So creating artificial intelligence is proof that God doesn't exist?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Fixed that

BobSpence1 wrote:

Fixed that black text for you guys.

Something Cap got into his post #1735, looked like a chunk of code from some Apple editor.

Got to be careful pasting anything in from anything but a simple plain text editor.

SORRY ALL!!! DIDN'T REALIZE. IT ALL STAYED NORMAL ON MY END.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I've said, there's

Quote:
I've said, there's many people out there who won't accept proven science... not because it hasn't been put to the scientific test, but because they just don't want to see it.

NOTHING about a non material thinker is testable. I don't care if you want to call this non-material thinker "Allah" or "Jesus" or "Snarfwidget.

You try to claim that "metaphysics" is testable, but have yet to allow your findings to be kicked around by the mainstreem community. Much less are you basing it on any established data and far more on an ancient book written by clueless people.

What you wont get me to do is blindly swallow "metaphysics" BEFORE you establish the data and a universal testable model.

WHAT you fail to consider or willfully ignore over and over and over is the mundane human psychology of wishful thinking and that you are no different in human history in making up god/s that you merely want to be real.

Quit your bitching about what we won't accept and if you really think you have something then GO BUILD that earth shattering model that we wont be able to deny.

So far all you have done is made naked assertions and cry, "why wont you believe me"

WE TOLD YOU! We don't do that for people who claim the universe itself is a thinking being, much less your ancient superstition.

I am not going to treat you any differently merely because you claim, "yea but this is different". Claims are like assholes, everyone has one and testing is the only way to filter out bullshit.

Your end goal is to prove the existence of the god of Jesus, HOWEVER you want to interpret it. Not only have you failed epically in that goal, but you cant even establish a universal test that would prove that a non material thought is at all possible.

YOU need to seriously consider that it is all in your head, no matter how falsely powerful the "feeling" might feel. If other people can fall for false beliefs, you can too.

What you have asserted nakedly here IS NOT universal, and hardly established.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You dippy. The

Brian37 wrote:

You dippy. The "manipulation" can't be done by the writers because they didn't have the scientific tools to know what "stretching" WAS and "stretching" IS NOT what scientists call it today.

THE manipulation is being done by modern society who don't want their myth to die, so they conflate ambiguous words written by scientifically ignorant people to mean something THEY want it to mean.

BACK THEN there was no way the were even "on to something" BECAUSE THEY HAD NO CLUE, they could demonstrate any scientific knowledge. BECAUSE THAT WAS NOT THE WRITERS INTENT. Their only intent was to market their superstition. Everything to the writers was explained with "GOD DID IT".

You are using the tactic of word games.

AGAIN, if a Muslim quoted the Koran with an ambiguous verse, would you simply buy it because they said, "this word here fits with modern science"

AGAIN,

"THE SKY IS BLUE" only says the sky is blue, it says nothing about WHY the sky is blue.

"MOUNTAINS MOVING" only says mountains move. It says nothing about the science of why mountains move, and back then when both the bible and Koran say, "mountains move" THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT "POOF" GOD DID IT, not modern science and that plates under the crust shifting cause earthquakes.

YOU are totally embarrassing yourself with this steamy pile of pony loaf.

Who's embarrassing themselves Brain?  You ignored the question dippy.  answer it instead of explaining your way around it.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: So that's

jcgadfly wrote:

Who's reinterpreting?  It's translational.  The real question is what did the writers mean.  I'm guessing he's referencing to the intention of the verse despite the translational discrepancies.  

jcgadfly wrote:

What do the verses mean? Nothing really - poetic metaphor doesn't have to mean anything. It's main purpose is so sound pretty. To make it science, you have to interpret it according to the science book. Funny that - science doesn't have to be reinterpreted to fit the Bible does it?

Neither has to be reinterpreted to fit each other, so your point?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:Brian37

caposkia wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

You dippy. The "manipulation" can't be done by the writers because they didn't have the scientific tools to know what "stretching" WAS and "stretching" IS NOT what scientists call it today.

You are using the tactic of word games.

AGAIN, if a Muslim quoted the Koran with an ambiguous verse, would you simply buy it because they said, "this word here fits with modern science"

AGAIN,

"THE SKY IS BLUE" only says the sky is blue, it says nothing about WHY the sky is blue.

"MOUNTAINS MOVING" only says mountains move. It says nothing about the science of why mountains move, and back then when both the bible and Koran say, "mountains move" THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT "POOF" GOD DID IT, not modern science and that plates under the crust shifting cause earthquakes.

YOU are totally embarrassing yourself with this steamy pile of pony loaf.

Who's embarrassing themselves Brain?  You ignored the question dippy.  answer it instead of explaining your way around it.

Not dancing around a damned thing. I simply refuse to be distracted by your sidetracks when your ultimate goal is to get me to accept the god of Jesus. You cant even establish a universal test that would be accepted by all of the scientific community to prove that even a non material thinker exists BY ANY NAME, much less your ancient book of superstition.

You would not buy your own arguments if a Muslim was using them for their god. So don't pull your distraction bullshit on me. I am not interested in your personal walk down your personal Yellow Brick Road.

If you think you have something, THEN USE ESTABLISHED DATA AND ESTABLISHED MODELS to build that universal test.

You haven't even demonstrated that you are using established science.

"metaphysics" IS NOT SCIENCE!

It is garbage, otherwise Neil Degress Tyson and Steven Hawkins and Richard Dawkins, who I am quite sure know a shitload more about science than you, would buy into it.

"I am right"

SO WHAT, so think the billions of other believers all over the world. Funny how, no matter how much humanity shouted "the earth is flat" it still turned out to be a globe and always was since the time it formed 4 billion years ago.

I will certainly bet my life that your god claim, will die with all god claims when our species goes extinct because there wont be a future generation to sell these comic book super hero claims to. You think you are special and your claim is special, but you have NOTHING to prove it anymore than anyone else trying to sell their deity.

Give me a question worthy of answering and I'll respond to it. Naked assertions do not constitute my attention anymore than claiming your computer runs on invisible hamsters demands my attention.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Typical

BobSpence1 wrote:

lets tear this one apart.

BobSpence1 wrote:

been through this before, but lets try again.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Where in the Bible does it say the Earth existed before that time?  Also, would Galaxies stretching have made any sense to everyone who needed to understand it through the ages? ...and uh.. what do galaxies look like from earth?

BobSpence1 wrote:

Light, and the Sun, were in existence well before there was any planet Earth. The stars certainly were not added as an afterthought near the end of the story as Genesis portrays - they were there before anything described in Genesis.

how exactly are you reading that... as if he was zapping his finger here and there... thinking.. then doing some more?  Are you sure that's how it happened? is it possible that this was a combined effort happening almost at the same time?

BobSpence1 wrote:

And the Earth had no water on it till it had cooled sufficiently, and there is no reason to believe that water ever completely covered the surface. So the Land has always existed, and the Oceans formed in the lower areas later. The story that the 'waters were gathered together' into certain areas to leave some dry land is totally backward.

its a stretch to say you know for sure be it that we can't date anything beyond 3.5 billion years on Earth let alone sediment evidences showing us global statistics that are dated much closer to our time than even that.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Life arose in the oceans before emerging onto land, first plants and then animals. Much much later did birds emerge, altho there were flying reptiles before that, but still long after life emerged onto land.

there are a lot of gaps in that understanding.  That's a whole conversation in and of itself.

BobSpence1 wrote:

By the time Man emerged all the families of animals and plants had been around for a long time.

Now tell us how that all fits into the Bible story before you start claiming it came up with any scientifically established ideas.

It's all there and the Bible states man was created last... are you assuming days are the way we understand them?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Just to put this to sleep.  Just like science, the Bible says what it says, our understanding of what it says might change with new information and new evidences... however the core understanding of what the bible is saying never changes.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Lee2216

BobSpence1 wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

It is meaningless to say the Earth was created at the Big Bang. The Earth is NOT just the matter that it is composed of. It is a particular sub-set of the particles of matter in the universe, formed into particular atoms and molecules, which were part of different astronomical bodies before coming together as a particular planet.

Why doesn't it say God created Man right at the beginning? And everything else? That would make just as much sense, they are all made of particles (mostly) formed at the Big Bang. Some particles condensed out of raw energy later, others changed their nature - a neutron can split into a proton and an electron

You are so clearly trying to make the myth of Genesis fit the known facts, and still ignoring all the other blatant errors I pointed out.

Bob, you always want the Bible to say this and that... think about who actually needed to understand it and then think about why it was written in the way it was.  Would it make sense to get so scientifically technical with people who for thousands of years would not comprehend it let alone understand exactly how to write it?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Which is why after almost 2000 posts there has been no progress.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Lee2216

jcgadfly wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

Ah, now you're wasting your time talking to me - the last refuge of the pwned.

You believe that since the Bible says that God stretched out the heavens that the Bible is now a science book and the scientists that discovered that the universe is expanding were wasting their time.

So...is the Bible a science book or a religious text? If you believe the former:

You believe that because the bible says that a bat is a bird should we rewrite zoology?

You believe that since the Bible set "value is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter in the Euclidean plane" (borrowed from Wikipedia's definition of pi) equal to 3 all the math books should be rewritten?

That's your logic. Don't blame me if it sounds stupid when it's returned to you.

I think the clear obvious point here is that the Bible is congruent with what we understand in science today.  

in defense of Jcgadfly, give him a chance.  He may not always think rationally, but he's one of the few on here who actually thinks.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Accidents

Brian37 wrote:

Accidents happen. Right, but there is no need for a magical puppeteer to state the obvious. WHAT I am saying is if your car is designed with bad breaks, is it your fault, or the manufacturer?

depends, do you ride your breaks or did you buy it that way?  Original creation was understood to be not flawed... even if you could choke, you couldn't choke to death because there was no death.

Brian37 wrote:

However, if there is no magical manufacturer, and the uncognitive process of evolution is what is going on, then "accidents happen" makes sense.

in a car however, if someone crashed into someone else, it's not an accident... someone did something wrong. driving too fast, not paying attention, etc.

Brian37 wrote:

Otherwise I could sell you a car with bad breaks and blame you for what I built and you couldn't sue me.

but God made working bodies.  You can buy a stick shift and stall it... does that mean it's a bad design... no, it means you screwed up whether you meant to or not.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

Interesting.

If you look at the Bible, God has committed acts that would make a human "not of God".

Is God now ungodly?

So in other words... all judges are ungodly.  If this is true, then I guess God must be ungodly... but there are also Christian judges... which would then conclude that judging and sentencing is not ungodly and therefore God would not be ungodly.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:2. What part

jcgadfly wrote:

2. What part of God is proven science?

Science is only a piece of it.... and it's not that science proves God, its that God is supported in science.  Any attempt that I've seen so far at disproving God through sciences has only further supported His existence.  

jcgadfly wrote:

3. I'm not sure if the issue is not being able to use science to measure the metaphysical or the vibe of "You can't measure it scientifically so it MUST be real" that I'm getting from you.

scientific method is what was suggested... not science specifically, but we can go there if you'd like.  I never intended the "you can't measure it scientifically" to mean it MUST be real, only that Brians approach to proof is illogical.

jcgadfly wrote:

4. Religious faith is different from contigent faith (taken from observable, repeatable results)

my case.  using the same observable approach, people have come to believe in God...  that is, the consciously seek out God and through their own means, believe.  Own means doesn't mean it's not repeatable, only that it's unique to the individual and is repeatable for anyone with that same state of mind.  In other words, there's a repeatable approach for every state of mind out there... it's just whether they're willing to follow through or not.

jcgadfly wrote:

5. See point 3. Not being able to measure something does not automatically guarantee it's existence.

of course not, we've already established that a while back.

jcgadfly wrote:

6. Brain activity is measurable. If (as you bielieve) the cause is divine influence that means divine influence can be measured (taking out your argument).

Sure if you want to look at it that way, but then how do we know the brain activity we're seeing is divine or subconscious? that I believe is where the difficulty lies and why that approach is not acceptable.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Science is only a

Quote:
Science is only a piece of it.... and it's not that science proves God, its that God is supported in science.  Any attempt that I've seen so far at disproving God through sciences has only further supported His existence.

Bullshit. Retrofitting after the fact doesn't count.

Otherwise Muslims could also use science to prove that Allah is the one true god.

No one, not you, not Catholics, not Jews, not Muslims, not Hindus, and not even pantheists have established their pet claims as being universally credible. OTHERWISE if any of these claims were true they would be universally accepted like a TV or DNA.

You are merely caught up in the current trend of theism to attempt to stay relevant when science is pointing away from ALL of these claims.

"A god is not required" STEVEN HAWKINS

You are only calling scientific method valid now because science is beating the shit out of theism, so theists have to attempt to square it with their old myths.

You, like every human who has believed false things are doing nothing differently. If it was something universal, it would be as common as teaching mitosis in biology class and would be taught everywhere despite personal beliefs.