Is Religion...

sapphen
Theist
sapphen's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is Religion...

Is religion (the belief of God and surrounding topics) the only belief we have without physical proof?  in your opinion, what are some other ideas that our socitiey considers real without proof...

if you can think of none, why is it that God is the only thing we believe in without physical proof?

btw.. happy father's day out there to all the dads!

May God bless us and give us the words to express our ideas in a creative and civil manner, while providing us an ear that we may truly hear each other, and a voice to clearly project our thoughts.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
psychic ablities, ghost,

psychic ablities, ghost, demons (don't need religion for demons), Aliens, Leprechauns, fairies, i have heard of people beleiving in werewolves, vampires, doplegangers (sp?), spirits of all sorts, I think that covers the major ones, anyone else?

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
not 100% of society

not 100% of society but...

homeopathy, magic, big foot, nessy, good politicians Eye-wink

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
luck

luck

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote: psychic

latincanuck wrote:
psychic ablities, ghost, demons (don't need religion for demons), Aliens, Leprechauns, fairies, i have heard of people beleiving in werewolves, vampires, doplegangers (sp?), spirits of all sorts, I think that covers the major ones, anyone else?

Vampires do exist!

But yeah, pretty much anything falling under the term "supernatural" is an irrational belief.

Belief in aliens rather depends on the definition though. I've frequently heard American sources refer to Mexicans as aliens.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
How about absolute morals,

How about absolute morals, justice, truth?

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just check out our list of

Just check out our list of Irrational Precepts. There is plenty of utter crap accepted without proof all around us, religion simply happens to be the most prevalent and has the most potential for abuse.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I knew a guy who believed

I knew a guy who believed that dragons exist. No, not existed, exist.

I also had the pleasure of meeting a guy who thought that the American Bar Association was run by Arabs and that the public education system was designed by them to weed out those who didn't fit into their plan for society. He didn't explain in full, but was kind enough to hand me a ten page long "pamphlet" explaining his crusade against the Bar Association.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06, I don't

LosingStreak06, I don't suppose you read any of the many-paged pamphlet?  I'm dying to know why folks from the Middle East would want to take control of the ABA!  (Especially considering the ABA has nothing to do with the educational system.)

Do you know if they're primarily after the prosecutors or defense attorneys?

How very odd......... 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I did read it, but it was

I did read it, but it was mostly incoherent. It read a lot like the Time Cube gospel (www.timecube.com if you aren't familiar). This guy has also admitted openly at a public forum (a school board meeting, if I recall) that he has performed "experiments" on his own feces, and also that he believes that we must utilize earthworms to combat global warming. He also served a few months in prison but I don't know what for.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: I

LosingStreak06 wrote:

I knew a guy who believed that dragons exist. No, not existed, exist.

Was it Kent Hovind?

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins