What do you DO in heaven?

doctoro
doctoro's picture
User is offlineOffline
What do you DO in heaven?

1.  In heaven, everything is perfect and supremely good.  If this is true, you have no free will, and everything you do must be supremely good.  Therefore everything is determined.  You act like a computer or automaton.

2.  When in heaven, what do we do?  Sit around playing the harp and lyre?  Do we become omniscient?  Aren't our limitations part of the fun and satisfaction of being human?  Furthermore, what's the deal with the glorifying God and worshipping him in heaven?  If he is perfect, he needs no one to glorify or worship him.  He is already 100%.  Our love cannot add to the 100% totality.

From Strobel's "The Case For Faith" 

"It's like that old Twilight Zone television show, where a gang of bank robbers gets shot and one of them wakes up walking on fluffy clouds at the golden gate of a celestial city. A kindly white-robed man offers him everything he wants. But soon he's bored with the gold since everything is free, and the beautiful girls who only laugh when he tries to hurt them, since he has a sadistic streak. So he summons the St. Peter figure. "There must be some mistake." "No, we make no mistakes here." "Can't you send me back to earth?" "Of course not, you're dead." "Well, then I must belong with my friends in the Other Place. Send me there." "Oh, no, we can't do that. Rules you know." "But I thought I was supposed to like heaven?" "Heaven? Who said anything about heaven. Heaven is the Other Place." The point is that a world without suffering appears more like hell than heaven....

Pretend you're God and try to create a better world in your imagination. Try to create utopia. But you have to think of the consequences of everything you try to improve. Every time you use force to prevent evil, you take away freedom. To take away all evil, you must remove all freedom and reduce people to puppets, which means they would then lack the ability to freely choose love (p. 42)."

How Strobel makes this help the case for theism, I have no idea.  Everything he says after this passage can be applied to existence in heaven.

You follow? 

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I actually had a discussion

I actually had a discussion about this with a Christian.  I asked if we had free will in heaven, and her response was yes.  So I asked if we could do bad things in heaven, and she said that we would remember how evil sin was and not want to do any bad in heaven.  So I asked if we can remember things, how are we going to feel knowing loved ones are being tortured in Hell, she had no response.  And I also asked then why didn't God just originally create us with the knowledge of how evil sin was, and none of this suffering would have had to take place, again she had no response. 

I was just wondering but didn't C.S. Lewis write something similar to Strobel?  How in Hell you get everything you want, and eventually you get bored with it all.  I thought he had written something similar to that. 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I actually posted a similiar

I actually posted a similiar topic thread recently called: theists answer this question on the afterlife

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

questions
Theist
questions's picture
User is offlineOffline
The debate of freewill is a

The debate of freewill is a debate between scholars in heaven. The angels at one time had free will and one third fell with Satan. But many scholars say now that Angels do not have contrary will. Which means if God told you to go somewhere he wouldn't pick your steps or the pace that you went their. But you would do as He said, you wouldn't be like a robot. The Bible doesn't talk much about heaven it focuses more on how to get there. Satan had a job in heaven that was dealing with music also something to do with fire (probably insence) So I would say that we probably have some sort of job.

Mod: Two-Day Timeout for Lying 3/23/2007

rexlunae
rexlunae's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think we're supposed to

I think we're supposed to spend all our time praising god for the opportunity to praise him all the time.

It's only the fairy tales they believe.