the Harm of Religion: Inhibition of knowledge vs. generation of violence

laguna117
laguna117's picture
User is offlineOffline
the Harm of Religion: Inhibition of knowledge vs. generation of violence

Hi everyone,

I'm an atheist, i know most of the atheists arguments and literature and I am keen on science. The conversation about the rationality of theism often goes two way 1) is theism true ? (which i think is undefendable) 2) what harm does religion do?

On this second question, i disagree a lot with what i hear/read in recent atheists literature. Here is why.

1)Religion, without no doubt to me, creates one major harm: the inhibition of search for knowledge. It even does it explicitly: the tree of knowledge is man's curse, "blessed be the simple mind" (or someting like that) in the new testament... and so on. Religions encourages ignorance by saying (explicitly again) that some things cannot or should not be known, that knowledge can produce evil things etc. One could also make a case that more religious countries/period of time have on average a slower scientific progress (see middle east nowadays or the middle ages).

The result of that is slowing human progress. Whatever you think the goal of mankind is, and whatever is you moral framework, it is hard to find something moral if it slows the progress of life science, which eventually leads to progress of medecine. Progresses of medecine during this century have saved more lives (in particular the fight against infectious diseases) that any religious benefit, and if we live in such a time where you can expect your children to get past the age of 2 and live until 70 it's only because of the progress of science. Therefore, i believe inhibiting the thirst for knowledge is a moral crime.

2) But I cannot agree easily to the claim that religion has a particular, measurable and separate role in inducing wars and violence. Of course many violence is done in the name of religion. But for now, i don't see any evidence that the influence of religion in human conflict should be considered different that any kind of ideology or patriotism. The excitation of violent behaviors, i take it, is not a monopoly of religion but a property of all massive beliefs systems, including atheists ones. I think that this argument, even though it may be true, is very weak and is used way too often. It pisses off decent religious people who have good arguments against it.

They dont have good arguments against the first one, because it is a fact that they admit. So my point is, in those two harms that religion can create, the second one is clearly much weaker and should not be used to often. I would really like to hear your opinion about that and in particular:

do you have particular reason to think that i underestimate that second harm? I don't want anectodic evidence, or twin towers or burka arguments. What i want to hear is: What is different in religion than in ideology or patriotism that can lead to more violence?

Thanks in advance

For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof,
then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think this is an

I think this is an excellent question.

I agree with you that point one is self-affirming because the very premise of religion (any supernatural religion) is that there are things that science cannot know.

I don't have hard evidence for you on number two because I don't think there is any. I tend to agree that many wars, if not most, would happen with or without religion.

In the mideast, for example, Allah or no, there's oil in them thar deserts, and we want it. For that matter, everybody wants it. I think the religion is an easy tool for the governments to use to recruit willing soldiers, and perhaps it makes the wars easier to wage, but to suggest that the mid-east wouldn't be a hotbed except for religion is politically naive.

It's my personal belief that religion IS politics, so you don't have to work hard to convince me that people would still kill each other all the time without religion.

However! And this is a big caveat... I think the two things that make it extremely easy for leaders to send their countries into war are

1) lack of education

2) religious fervor.

Since 1 leads to 2, and we've got statistics to back it up, it can be theorized that with higher education and discouragement of religious fervor, wars could be reduced in severity and/or frequency.

So, like most things in the world, my opinion is that it's not cut and dried. Yes, religion has been a justification for many wars, but kings set on wars will make wars, and most of the religious wars have been less than completely religious. No, I don't think quite as many people would have died if religious zealots had not been so eager to rush off in service of god. In the end, I think the world would be somewhat less violent without religion, but primarily because of the inverse relationship between religion and education.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

laguna117
laguna117's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes that is a good argument

Yes that is a good argument and i'll think about it. If lack of education can itself lead to violence, then there is an argument for the second harm. However, it's a much more subtle argument that the most I read/hear. I don't think it helps a lot the athiest cause to simplify the relationship between religion and violence. Hitler and Staline probably hurted a lot this argument, which was much widely accepted during the time of the Enlightement.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
You make good points, which

You make good points, which is why I said that I think there is a link between education and violence, but not a direct parallel.

The unabomber, after all, was an extremely intelligent man.

Hitler and Stalin were presumably pretty intelligent.  The question that pops into my mind immediately is, "What were the education levels of the populace, and how much of a gap was there between the upper levels of the military and the lower levels?"

I have never doubted the capability of very smart people to do great harm.  I've only said that it becomes less probable when the majority of the population is also reasonably educated.

As for the atheist question, I've never understood why the existence of Hitler (a quasi-Christian) and Stalin does anything to prove the existence of god.  The fact that both Christians and Atheists can be good or bad seems to prove that there is no measurable benefit to being Christian.  Therefore, it hurts the Christian argument. 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
laguna117 wrote: Hi

laguna117 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm an atheist, i know most of the atheists arguments and literature and I am keen on science. The conversation about the rationality of theism often goes two way 1) is theism true ? (which i think is undefendable) 2) what harm does religion do?

On this second question, i disagree a lot with what i hear/read in recent atheists literature. Here is why.

1)Religion, without no doubt to me, creates one major harm: the inhibition of search for knowledge. It even does it explicitly: the tree of knowledge is man's curse, "blessed be the simple mind" (or someting like that) in the new testament... and so on. Religions encourages ignorance by saying (explicitly again) that some things cannot or should not be known, that knowledge can produce evil things etc. One could also make a case that more religious countries/period of time have on average a slower scientific progress (see middle east nowadays or the middle ages).

The result of that is slowing human progress. Whatever you think the goal of mankind is, and whatever is you moral framework, it is hard to find something moral if it slows the progress of life science, which eventually leads to progress of medecine. Progresses of medecine during this century have saved more lives (in particular the fight against infectious diseases) that any religious benefit, and if we live in such a time where you can expect your children to get past the age of 2 and live until 70 it's only because of the progress of science. Therefore, i believe inhibiting the thirst for knowledge is a moral crime.

2) But I cannot agree easily to the claim that religion has a particular, measurable and separate role in inducing wars and violence. Of course many violence is done in the name of religion. But for now, i don't see any evidence that the influence of religion in human conflict should be considered different that any kind of ideology or patriotism.

The excitation of violent behaviors, i take it, is not a monopoly of religion but a property of all massive beliefs systems, including atheists ones. I think that this argument, even though it may be true, is very weak and is used way too often. It pisses off decent religious people who have good arguments against it.

Well, let's go back to your first point in the first paragraph. There you agree that the truth of theism in undefendable. Now, here you say that it is no different than any kind of ideology or patriotism and say that it can cause harm just as they can. I would agree with both of those. Now, when we add the two, we get an untrue ideology by which harm can be done. It is not necessarily that theism is worse than other ideologies that cause harm like patriotism, but that it is untrue and therefor unnecessary and causes harm. For that reason alone it should be a discouraged ideology. We should by no means allow every potentially harmful and yet unnecessary ideology being practiced to flourish unchallenged.

Then there is the fact that although religion has probably done no more harm than patriotism it has the ability to do harm that seems to be without restriction. Religion offers eternity and paradise and those two things are unparalleled motivators. They can be used to do incredible things that no other motivator might be able to achieve. 

Just my personal observations. 

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

laguna117
laguna117's picture
User is offlineOffline
i think your both right.

i think your both right. What i meant about hitler/stalin/mao is of course not that the theist argument is true. But before the 20th century, it was easily arguable that in the course of western history religion was the only way to justify torture and genocide. It's a very common argument in Enlightement literature.

So i'm not talking about the internal logic of the argument but about how it is felt and symbolized in popular thinking. In Europe, the end of the 19th century was characterized by a very strong anti religious wave, which was mainly motivated i would guess by that observation that religion was the only avaiblable way to justify horror. And now, in the same way, the populace (especially in america) has this disgust of atheism because of damages atheists leaders did, and feel that there is a correlation between both. Because of the weakness of the argument, my point is that it should not be used to much, even by atheists against religion.

If you accept my first statement (which i think you mostly do), then my point is mainly one of rhetoric. I feel it's not a good rhetoric move to emphasize the violence generating factor of religion, in a blunt way i mean, and that nowadays the argument is much less "fashionable".

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
You make an interesting

You make an interesting assumption, and I hadn't really thought about it before.

What was the catalyist for atheist bashing in America?  Was it McCarthy and the red scare?

I can definitely see this as a viable hypothesis.  Clearly there were many free thinkers prior to the 50s, and some of them (Einstien, Jefferson, Franklin, et al) were not scared to put their non-theist sentiments into print.

Of course, having grown up after the Cuban Missile Crisis and the worst of the cold war propaganda, it's impossible for me to understand what it must have been like to genuinely believe that communists were the greatest threat to the free world...

Then again, I don't believe that Muslim extremists are the worst threat to the free world now, and that's what the talking heads want me to believe...

Books about atheism