Why did Ahura Mazda get banned? [Trollville]

Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
Posts: 311
Joined: 2007-06-05
User is offlineOffline
Why did Ahura Mazda get banned? [Trollville]

Apparently, this forum can't handle it when an atheist doesn't hold to RRS dogma. Just because Ahura Mazda was against the Jesus Myth Hypothesis does not mean that he is a theist.

I want someone to explain to me why Ahura Mazda was banned from the forums.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2811
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
Christos

Christos wrote:

Apparently, this forum can't handle it when an atheist doesn't hold to RRS dogma.

Apparently you can't deal with the situation honestly.

He was banned because he was an adversarial troll. Not for simply voicing a disagreement. He sent about 10 whiny email complaints in the course of a day, about the matter, and was nearly incapable of walking away from the matter, even as I pointed out that he was being obsessional...

Please cease your dishonest approach to the matter. I wouldn't be stunned if you were motivated by him to make your complaint...

 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.


JeremiahSmith
Posts: 361
Joined: 2006-11-25
User is offlineOffline
Wait, he got banned? Shit,

Wait, he got banned? Shit, no wonder he never replied to that post I made about his signature.


The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
Posts: 474
Joined: 2007-05-09
User is offlineOffline
Although factually he did

Although factually he did have some good points.  Having read around a bit about this subject a bit there are arguments for both sides  however, since the majority of academics seem to go with the "Yes, he existed" side of things then I'll go with that as ultimately I'm nothing more than a slightly informed amateur on this subject.

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
Apparently, this forum can't handle it when an atheist doesn't hold to RRS dogma. Just because Ahura Mazda was against the Jesus Myth Hypothesis does not mean that he is a theist.

Christos, I'm saying this to you because I think you need to hear it, not because I'm trying to be mean. You need to take a long look at yourself and examine the way you jump to conclusions without thinking about other possibilities. Three times now, you've assumed things about me that were grossly wrong. Now, you come on here without any information and assume you know why someone was banned. Do you have access to the mod forum? No. Do you know if there might have been another, completely different reason why he was banned? No.

Part of being a reasonable, mature person is learning to ask questions before forming your opinion. Everybody jumps to wrong conclusions from time to time. I've certainly done it. But you seem to do it habitually.

 [edit: yes, I know you're "asking" the question, but it sure sounds as if your mind is already made up.]

 

 

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Although factually

Quote:
Although factually he did have some good points.  Having read around a bit about this subject a bit there are arguments for both sides  however, since the majority of academics seem to go with the "Yes, he existed" side of things then I'll go with that as ultimately I'm nothing more than a slightly informed amateur on this subject.

The fact is, there's simply no way of knowing for sure.  I lean heavily towards the myth side of the fence, but frankly, I don't even find the topic to be that important.  Whether there was a Jesus or not, Christianity is a lie.

For scholarly, historical reasons, I'd like to know for sure, but I doubt that we'll ever know.

I'm a little baffled as to why the OP has assumed that everyone here toes the Jesus Myth line.   Many of the atheists never even get into the discussion one way or another.

 

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
Posts: 311
Joined: 2007-06-05
User is offlineOffline
I'm not assuming that

I'm not assuming that everyone at the RRS is a mythicist. I know it for a fact. I've heard Sapient on a video stating that everyone at the RRS does not believe that Jesus was a historical figure.

You're right Hamby, there could have been a legit reason why Ahura was banned. However, I saw atheists questioning Ahura Mazda's beliefs because he doesn't hold to the Jesus Myth Hypothesis. (ex: Darth Josh called him an "alleged atheist" ). And to be completely honest, we can know that Jesus was a historical figure beyond a reasonable doubt. Ahura Mazda was making that claim and no atheist on the forum could seriously challenge him.

Did I jump to a conclusion...yes. However, I still see no real reason why he was banned. Todangst, thats such a shitty reason to ban someone becasue they dwelt on an issue. Why don't you refute his claims rather than ban him for being right.

 

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotations and right paren displaying as a smiley] 

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)


pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
Posts: 1595
Joined: 2006-05-06
User is offlineOffline
I'm just going to put my

I'm just going to put my two cents in.  I don't know if Jesus is a historical figure.  I'm certainly not going to rule it out.  I personally would be willing to belive that he existed, though I strongly doubt that he was a 'son of god'.  Then again, I haven't read as much as others on this forum have.  History is always being disputed.

Honestly Christos, Sapient probably doesn't have the time to get to know half of us on this forum, much less EVERYONE.  Perhaps he was talking about the core members, perhaps not.  You were still jumping to conclusions.  

 

If god takes life he's an indian giver


Christos
Theist
Christos's picture
Posts: 311
Joined: 2007-06-05
User is offlineOffline
Jane, Sapient was talking


Jane, Sapient was talking about everyone who actually work with the RRS. He wasn't referring to every atheist on the forums.

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." (CS Lewis)

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading." (CS Lewis)


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Now, you

Hambydammit wrote:
Now, you come on here without any information and assume you know why someone was banned. Do you have access to the mod forum? No. Do you know if there might have been another, completely different reason why he was banned? No.

Todangst wrote:
I wouldn't be stunned if you were motivated by him to make your complaint...

Christos, I could not find where it was publicly posted that Ahura Mazda was banned.  Warned, yes; banned, no.  Therefore, it can only be assumed that you are complaining upon his urging. 

 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
Posts: 2650
Joined: 2006-02-27
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote: I'm not

Christos wrote:

I'm not assuming that everyone at the RRS is a mythicist. I know it for a fact. I've heard Sapient on a video stating that everyone at the RRS does not believe that Jesus was a historical figure.

You're right Hamby, there could have been a legit reason why Ahura was banned. However, I saw atheists questioning Ahura Mazda's beliefs because he doesn't hold to the Jesus Myth Hypothesis. (ex: Darth Josh called him an "alleged atheist" ). And to be completely honest, we can know that Jesus was a historical figure beyond a reasonable doubt. Ahura Mazda was making that claim and no atheist on the forum could seriously challenge him.

Did I jump to a conclusion...yes. However, I still see no real reason why he was banned. Todangst, thats such a shitty reason to ban someone becasue they dwelt on an issue. Why don't you refute his claims rather than ban him for being right.

 

[MOD EDIT - fixed quotations and right paren displaying as a smiley]

I informed him that the issue could not be pressed at the present time.

Part of the mythicist position is allowing for the POSSIBILITY that an historical jesus existed. Ahura Mazda had no room for the PROBABILITY that an hisrical jesus did not exist. Ergo, the theist accusation.

Climbing into the forums screaming "You're wrong!" without even TRYING to see what is going on isn't acceptable behavior ANYWHERE on the internet.

I directed him to the show addressing the issue and he refused to check it out.

I asked him to be patient, like the rest of us, while Rook has the time to finish his book, research and all. He pressed further and continued the ad homs against Rook despite NEVER having any interaction with him.

 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2811
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
Christos wrote: Did I jump

Christos wrote:

Did I jump to a conclusion...yes. However, I still see no real reason why he was banned. Todangst, thats such a shitty reason to ban someone becasue they dwelt on an issue. Why don't you refute his claims rather than ban him for being right.

 

You seem utterly incapable of responding to what I am saying.

 

I will repeat it again:

He was banned because he was an adversarial troll.

Not for simply voicing a disagreement.

It had nothing to do with his position. 

 

He sent about 10 whiny email complaints in the course of a day, about the matter, and was nearly incapable of walking away from the matter, even as I pointed out that he was being obsessional...

 

This is the second time I've corrected you on this. You keep repeating a lie. Stop it. 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2811
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Hambydammit

Susan wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:
Now, you come on here without any information and assume you know why someone was banned. Do you have access to the mod forum? No. Do you know if there might have been another, completely different reason why he was banned? No.

Todangst wrote:
I wouldn't be stunned if you were motivated by him to make your complaint...

Christos, I could not find where it was publicly posted that Ahura Mazda was banned. Warned, yes; banned, no. Therefore, it can only be assumed that you are complaining upon his urging.

 

He's banned for the reasons I've given.

It has nothing to do with any position or argument, but his behavior.

He tried to make the same claim, himself, in his 10 emails to me.

Yes 10 emails.

I'd post them, but there's a limit on how many curses any server can hold....

 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Honestly

pariahjane wrote:

Honestly Christos, Sapient probably doesn't have the time to get to know half of us on this forum, much less EVERYONE. Perhaps he was talking about the core members, perhaps not. You were still jumping to conclusions.

 

Obviously I was referring to just the co-host portion of the team:

Kelly, Rook, Todangst, Yellow#5, Brian Flemming, myself, and Richard Carrier (there are a bunch of mods we could throw on the list too).

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.