Hindu Pilgrims Stampeded

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hindu Pilgrims Stampeded

It does not really state WHY the whole thing got set in motion: 

www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32082132

At least 10 Hindu pilgrims have been killed in a stampede during a bathing ritual at a holy site in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

Police inspector Nasir Ahmed told AFP news agency the crush had involved "huge numbers of people".

The 16 quays used for the ritual bathing were unable to cope with so many devotees, police told bdnews 24.

The incident happened during the Astami Snan, one of the largest annual Hindu ceremonies in Bangladesh.

Mr Ahmed said police were investigating what had gone wrong.

"The stampede involved a huge number of people as thousands of shoes could still be seen on the road an hour after it happened," he added.

Ritual bathing started early on Friday, reaching a peak at around the time of the accident, police told bdnews24.

Some of those attending said that there were not enough ambulances or police officers to ensure the safety of devotees.

However, officials say that at least 700 police officers were on duty but their task was made harder because the number of people attending the festival, which goes on until Saturday.

Numbers were higher this year as it took place during public holidays to celebrate Bangladesh's national day.

"All of a sudden, I heard cries and saw people getting trampled," survivor Laxmi Rana Saha told AFP. "I lost my nephew in the chaos. I only survived by running to higher ground."

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote: Mr

harleysportster wrote:
Mr Ahmed said police were investigating what had gone wrong.

A combination of poverty, overpopulation, and religion? heh.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
this happens constantly at

this happens constantly at these things in india. this is not anything shocking. too many people all trying to get to the same place, and add into the mix that hindu monks are often aggressive in shoving their way through crowds. shaivite monks are known to carry tridents, which they don't hesitate to use in these situations.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Now now guys, religion is

Now now guys, religion is never harmful, we must never speak ill of religion, someone might get their feelings hurt.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Brian, link us to

Brian, link us to that Einstein quote....and Bob bless you.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Now now

Brian37 wrote:

Now now guys, religion is never harmful, we must never speak ill of religion, someone might get their feelings hurt.

Again Brian tries to imply that he's the only one standing up to theism. He's oblivious to the fact that he's the only one who is NOT standing up to theism.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.