Albinos, Witch Doctors, and Body Parts

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Albinos, Witch Doctors, and Body Parts

While this sounds like quite a plot from a Grade B horror film, it is actually true. 

www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-31849531

Tanzania albino murders: 'More than 200 witchdoctors' arrested

More than 200 witchdoctors and traditional healers have been arrested in Tanzania in a crackdown on the murder of albino people.

The killings have been driven by the belief - advanced by some witchdoctors - that the body parts have properties that confer wealth and good luck.

President Jakaya Kikwete has described the murder of albino people as an "evil" that has shamed Tanzania.

Nearly 80 albino Tanzanians have been killed since 2000, the UN says.

The latest victims include a one-year-old albino boy, killed in north-western Tanzania a few weeks ago.

The government banned witchdoctors in January as part of its efforts to prevent further attacks and kidnappings targeting people with albinism.

Lizard skin and warthog teeth

Last week, 32 witchdoctors were detained.

Tanzanian police arrested 225 unlicensed traditional healers and soothsayers across the country, the AFP news agency reports.

"Some of those arrested were found in possession of items like lizard skin, warthog teeth, ostrich eggs, monkey tails, bird claws, mule tails and lion skin," police spokesperson Advera Bulimba told the agency.

Albinism is particularly prevalent in Tanzania with one in 1,400 affected, according to a 2006 BMC Public Health report. This compares with one in 20,000 in Western countries.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 But religion never hurts

But religion never hurts anyone. If you call it a soothsayer or witchdoctor, instead of a preist or Rabbi or Monk or Imam that makes all the difference. We must never face the fact it is merely nothing but human gullibility that alows others to lead them off a cliff. As long as you consider the other guy full of shit you can justify ignoring your own shit. 

Don't question religion because someone might get their feelings hurt. Who cares the real damage are the victims. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
^ Brian making shit up again.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: We must never

Brian37 wrote:

We must never face the fact it is merely nothing but human gullibility that alows others to lead them off a cliff.

Vastet wrote:

I love the "We must never face the fact it is merely nothing but human gullibility that allows others to lead them off a cliff". I originally ignored the thread but since you replied I had to point it out. So we should never face the truth about religion and we should all jump off a cliff if the religious leaders tell us to?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that was a sarcastic

I think that was a sarcastic post.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was, but it also carried

It was, but it also carried with it the implication that the atheists frequenting this site roll over for religion, which is patently ridiculous and had to be pointed out as such.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.