NFL: Greatest Punter Ever?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
NFL: Greatest Punter Ever?

This article is about Ray Guy, arguably the greatest punter that ever existed in the NFL. For those of you who don't know it, he played for the Oakland Raiders in the 70's and 80's. See the article here about is predicament.

sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--legendary-punter-ray-guy-frustrated--but-resigned-that-he-s-not-in-hall-of-fame.html

He was, with out hesitation, the most reconizable player in the NFL at that time when he was on the field. He kicked his leg so high that you thought he was going to kick himself in the head.

Because of politics he is being excluded from the NFL Hall of Fame because the idiot writers don't see his influence on the game or on the position of punting.

Here are more stats on him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Guy

What amazes me is that he is being denied because he is a punter and because he spent so little time on the field.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:This

digitalbeachbum wrote:

This article is about Ray Guy, arguably the greatest punter that ever existed in the NFL. For those of you who don't know it, he played for the Oakland Raiders in the 70's and 80's. See the article here about is predicament.

sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--legendary-punter-ray-guy-frustrated--but-resigned-that-he-s-not-in-hall-of-fame.html

He was, with out hesitation, the most reconizable player in the NFL at that time when he was on the field. He kicked his leg so high that you thought he was going to kick himself in the head.

Because of politics he is being excluded from the NFL Hall of Fame because the idiot writers don't see his influence on the game or on the position of punting.

What amazes me is that he is being denied because he is a punter and because he spent so little time on the field.

Unfortunately, on a very superficial level, outside his stats, his name realy came accross as a stage name. My mom like me are still both Redskins fans, but "Ray Guy" is an unforgetable name on par with lots of Hollywood cooked up names. My mom was a "Ray Guy" fan but not a Raiders fan. She would say "Thats my Guy".And from what I remember, what little I remember he did stand out novelty name aside. As per your link, his stats do reflect his importance to the leauge and that position.

But as far as his position, the Hall Of Fame still, like the leauge is a private business, and punters and place kickers ON AVERAGE even when they make key plays, don't get the same level of kudos as a QB Running back or wide reciever.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ray Guy

digitalbeachbum wrote:

As a Denver Bronco fan  I remember Ray Guy very well, he played for the hated Raiders.

Yes he was very good.

Do any Raiders deserve to be in the Hall of Fame at all?

Well maybe, he was very good I must admit.

Yeah he deserves it. They have let other members of the hated Raiders in, so why not him

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
What amazes me, from the

What amazes me, from the article, is that they deny him because he didn't even have the "longest punt average".

This is a false stat because of "where he punted from" when he punted.

Punters who punt from the 50 yard line do not try to punt it in to the end zone. They try to direct it to the 1 or 2 yard line, most of the times between the 10-20 yard line, so that the opposing team has a terrible location to start their drive.

I am also amazed that in 14 years of playing he never had a punt returned for a TD. That's fucking amazing. Show me a punter or kicker who has that stat and I'll show you an incorrect source.