My late intro post

RobbyPants
atheist
RobbyPants's picture
User is offlineOffline
My late intro post

Who I am: 

I am a married software developer in his early 30s with two young girls. I like to mess around on the computer a bit too much and play a good amount of D&D.

How I found this place:  

I like reading at rationalwiki. I first found out about this place when I stumbled upon the Rational Response Squad debate with Way of the Master.

What I (don't) believe:  

I'd consider myself an agnostic atheist. Or atheist. Or functional atheist. I've heard a lot of different terms used differently at different places. Basically, I don't believe in any gods, I don't believe belief one way or the other can be proven, but I see no reason not to simply dismiss these random claims that have no evidence.

Why I don't believe:  

I was brought up and raised Christian (Lutheran, more specifically). I can't tell you exactly when I started having problems with the belief, but it could have started as early as my early 20s. I mostly tried to not think about any doubts that I had. For quite a while, I was pretty good at coming up with a lot of apologetic excuses to stave off cognitive dissonance. After a while, that stopped being comforting, and started bothering me more and more; like I was just making things up to fix the problem.

About four years ago, I realized I was having some serious issues with my faith. For a while, I tried to ignore the problem and simply tell myself that I believed it. When that didn't work, I tried to make myself believe it. During this time, I would frequently get depressed if I spent any time thinking about it. For the last six months of this period, I finally got to the point where I didn't really believe, but I couldn't admit it to myself. I kept worrying about being wrong and ending up in hell (Pascal's wager, I know). It literally took me six months to be able to admit to myself that I didn't believe it.

Once I got through those annoying two years, I could finally look at it openly. Rather than start with the conclusion of "God is real" and try and work backwards, I was able to just stand back, look at the whole thing, and try to figure out what makes sense. I realized that the all of the problems and contradictions of the Bible, and all of the weird meta-issues you get with modern theology all made more sense if I just viewed it as poorly edited Hebrew mythology.

Where I am now:

So, it's been two years since I was able to admit I'm atheist. My wife is still Christian, which can be a pain point some times, so I often don't talk about it with her. I've been happy to find out how many of my relatives and in-laws of similar age has the same views as me. I've basically formed a handful of support groups this way, which I think is very good for me.

Holy crap, that got long!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums Robby.

Welcome to the forums Robby. I have always been an atheist, I wasn't really exposed much to religion as a child although one Sunday in a Lutheran church my babysitter was asked to take me out of the sunday school because I was being "too disruptive". By "too disruptive" they meant I didn't buy the bullshit story of Noah's Ark was possible and they were unable to answer questions with anything other than "God did it" which I laughed at because I had never heard of this god. When you don't believe it is sometimes hard not to laugh at the absurd things that believers believe without question, but you will find that we have many very intelligent contributors on this site who had experiences similar to yours. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Rob

Similar background to you in general and a similar history of doubt. I can attest to the fact that empowering your mind through debating and considering the issues surrounding supernatural assertions is the path to restful irreligion. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Welcome

Beyond Saving wrote:

Welcome to the forums Robby. I have always been an atheist, I wasn't really exposed much to religion as a child although one Sunday in a Lutheran church my babysitter was asked to take me out of the sunday school because I was being "too disruptive". By "too disruptive" they meant I didn't buy the bullshit story of Noah's Ark was possible and they were unable to answer questions with anything other than "God did it" which I laughed at because I had never heard of this god. When you don't believe it is sometimes hard not to laugh at the absurd things that believers believe without question, but you will find that we have many very intelligent contributors on this site who had experiences similar to yours. 

Damn it Beyond, you are supposed to play the evil coorporate warlord and I am supposed tp play the lazy foodstamp crack head. When I find myself agreeing with you I see pictures of Obama and Cristy. STOP IT MAN it is like kissing my sister!

Why don't you lock your keys in your car again?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

RobbyPants
atheist
RobbyPants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Similar background to you in general and a similar history of doubt. I can attest to the fact that empowering your mind through debating and considering the issues surrounding supernatural assertions is the path to restful irreligion. 

Yeah, I have to say that once I finally let it go and stopped worrying about it, it was the most liberating thing in my life. It's hard to describe how much better I feel about a lot of things. 

GodsUseForAMosquito
GodsUseForAMosquito's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome to the boards

Welcome to the boards Robbie,

Lots of good heated subjects here, It'll keep you coming back for more.

My advice: Don't even start reading topics with over 3000 posts. There's one here continuing that I posted on the first page of 4 years ago. It has not progressed.

Aside from that, post regularly and enjoy the community!