atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it is downright

I think it is downright disgusting that people would want to force someone to continue their existence in this horrifying existence.

The fact that the parents are contesting it for faith based reasons is deplorable.

Let any of these people saying that it is god's will to interfere with someone's choices find themselves in this type of predicament and see how well they handle it.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
Typical asshole parents. We

Typical asshole parents. We don't have a choise in whether we come into existence and the same imposing fucknuts responsible for that want to take away the right to leave when we've had enough. I really wish I could magically turn it around and make these cunts have to "live" paralyzed and spit in their face when they don't wanna do it anymore.

Is there a bigger joke btw than declaring a person paralyzed from the neck down can't be in her right mind when declaring she'd rather die? I wonder what these assholes would say if we denied them anesthesia for surgery because they can't possibly be in their right mind if they want to sacrifice those few hours of their life no matter how bad they are.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:Typical

Manageri wrote:

Typical asshole parents. We don't have a choise in whether we come into existence and the same imposing fucknuts responsible for that want to take away the right to leave when we've had enough. I really wish I could magically turn it around and make these cunts have to "live" paralyzed and spit in their face when they don't wanna do it anymore.

Is there a bigger joke btw than declaring a person paralyzed from the neck down can't be in her right mind when declaring she'd rather die? I wonder what these assholes would say if we denied them anesthesia for surgery because they can't possibly be in their right mind if they want to sacrifice those few hours of their life no matter how bad they are.

I don't get this bullshit either.

In one way, I am glad that my ultra-religious family cut me loose if this is the type of "care" that I would receive were something unfortunate to happen to me.

I know that I ride a motorcycle all the time. I know the dangers that it poses and the fact that I risk being roadkill on the front end of a giant industrial truck.

However, if something were to happen to me and leave me paralyzed or with 90% of my body burned off, I would either hope the ambulance did not get there on time, or that someone would pull the plug.

I think the "right mind" argument is  bullshit.

Of course I am not going to be in my right mind if I have just lost all use of my limbs. That is WHY I would want to be euthanized.

I think anyone ought to be able to make this decision if they are the ones that have to suffer.

The fact that the parents are basing this whole imposition of forcing someone to live in these conditions upon religious grounds, makes me fucking sick.

They are not saying that they love, care or are having trouble letting go. Instead, they are blathering on about heaven/hell. Disgusting.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I

harleysportster wrote:

I don't get this bullshit either.

In one way, I am glad that my ultra-religious family cut me loose if this is the type of "care" that I would receive were something unfortunate to happen to me.

I know that I ride a motorcycle all the time. I know the dangers that it poses and the fact that I risk being roadkill on the front end of a giant industrial truck.

I know that I read recently about a doctor ( surprisingly )  who even had someone tattoo "Do Not Resuscitate" on his chest so that if he was ever involved in a catastrophic scenario that the EMT's and paramedics could not impose any lifesaving measures against his will.  I believe that a person can do this legally, actually.   Just Google "Do Not Resuscitate"  and you can find more specifics about it if you wish.

Sounds like a sensible thing to do in my opinion.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Very sad and for anyone out

Very sad and for anyone out there, this is exactly why you should have a living will that appoints someone you trust to follow your wishes in these types of decisions, especially if you have fundy parents. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I know that I read recently about a doctor ( surprisingly )  who even had someone tattoo "Do Not Resuscitate" on his chest so that if he was ever involved in a catastrophic scenario that the EMT's and paramedics could not impose any lifesaving measures against his will.  I believe that a person can do this legally, actually.   Just Google "Do Not Resuscitate"  and you can find more specifics about it if you wish.

Sounds like a sensible thing to do in my opinion.

I see that as a sensible thing to do.  Also put it on clothing and in my wallet.

― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Very sad

Beyond Saving wrote:

Very sad and for anyone out there, this is exactly why you should have a living will that appoints someone you trust to follow your wishes in these types of decisions, especially if you have fundy parents. 

Definitely something that I will check into. I have read too many articles like this.

― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Beyond

harleysportster wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Definitely something that I will check into. I have read too many articles like this.

Many major healthcare providers like hospitals offer state specific standardized forms for living wills for free. You just fill in the blanks and sign it- in most states the signature has to be notarized or signed in front of a couple of witnesses. The forms are also widely available online for $15-$30 http://www.uslegalforms.com/findlaw/livingwills/ or through a service like Legal Zoom. The downside of using the forms is that you have to store them yourself and you want to make sure the person you are appointing knows where it is and will be able to get it in the worst case scenario. The form means nothing if your fundy parents find it and shred it or the person you granted power of attorney to can't find it. 

The safest way to go is to have one with an attorney who keeps a copy of it in their safe, will ensure that everything is 100% up to legal standard and if you are incapacitated will make sure the document gets to your healthcare provider and represent you in court if your family tries to challenge the will in court. Of course, the downside is that a lawyer is going to charge you $250-$500 to ask you the same questions on the standard form those greedy blood suckers. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wish I'd had the patience

I wish I'd had the patience to become a lawyer. Get passed BAR and you are set. Boring as fuck though.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
bah

I don't understand the relationship between the parts. She wants to die, her family tells no, and she doesn't blame them?