Student Atheists kicked out of college fair over a pineapple Muhammed. Really.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Student Atheists kicked out of college fair over a pineapple Muhammed. Really.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/10/04/atheists-kicked-out-of-colleges-organization-fair-due-to-offensive-pineapple-really/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Atheists Kicked Out of College’s Organization Fair Due to Offensive Pineapple… Really

by Herman Mehta

This is not the Muslim prophet Muhammad: (picture of pineapple)

We know that because it’s a pineapple. You can call it whatever you want, but it’s a pineapple.

No confusion there, right?

Then that makes you smarter than the administrators at Reading University in England. They kicked an atheist group out of the school’s organization fair (“Freshers’ Fayre&rdquoEye-wink because the students labelled a pineapple “Muhammad” in order to talk about “blasphemy, religion, and liberty”:

“We wanted to celebrate the fact that we live in a country in which free speech is protected, and where it is lawful to call a pineapple by whatever name one chooses,” a society spokesperson said.

Towards the afternoon, the group was informed they had to leave the fair by a member of Reading University Student Union (RUSU) staff. The reason given was several complaints had made against the offending pineapple, although RAHS members insist they were not made aware of any such protestations.

The society refused to remove the fruit due to their “commitment to freedom of expression”, to which they were told by the RUSU member: “Either the pineapple goes, or you do.”

The pineapple was seized. Then it was returned. Then, the atheists renamed the pineapple “Jesus.” That’s when the group was kicked out:

(Rest of the article can be found at the link. The university needs to lighten up. Really. How long before we can't say anything, anywhere, in a public forum because we might "offend" someone. What nonsense.)

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Can't wait for the Pat

Can't wait for the Pat Condell vid on this one.

Seriously though, all this pandering to the bronze age is getting on my tits. I'm calling my satsuma "Mo", and then I'm going to wrap it in bacon and eat it.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I seriously don't know

I seriously don't know whether to laugh or cry. Where does all this worry about offending people come from? And really, how offensive is a pineapple? I think someone needs to create a cocktail and name it "Muhammed" maybe base it on one of those bacon vodkas or some bacon bourbon. Then you can have another cocktail named "God" which would be really easy- take a highball glass, fill with ice, give it to the customer, charge 10% of whatever they have in their wallet.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I seriously don't know whether to laugh or cry. Where does all this worry about offending people come from? And really, how offensive is a pineapple? I think someone needs to create a cocktail and name it "Muhammed" maybe base it on one of those bacon vodkas or some bacon bourbon. Then you can have another cocktail named "God" which would be really easy- take a highball glass, fill with ice, give it to the customer, charge 10% of whatever they have in their wallet.  

LOL. Good one.

I am like you on this subject. I find it hard to keep a straight face that a university could get their panties in a wad over a pineapple !

However, the fact that the university actually made a move and kicked these people out, shows a gross violation of free speech IMO.

I mean, if everyone has to go through life worrying about offending someone, then everyone might as well not have any conversations for the abject terror that "gasp" someone got offended.

Damn. When did people get so sensitive ?

It is really ridiculous.

In my opinion, if someone didn't offend people and stand up for something, in all likelihood, we would still be in the Dark Ages.

I guess when all those jihadists are taking me out to chop my head off for being an infidel, I can say for my last words : " But I didn't MEAN to offend anyone."

Fuck that.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

This is one topic I most certainly agree with you on. It is one thing to challenge bigotry. But there can never be a free society where unpopular speech becomes a taboo. It is the quickest path to fascism.

And if these objectors bothered to understand why they did what they did, this is nowhere the same as what that "biggomentary" video maker did. It was simply saying we should all have the right to speak freely without fear of our government. Merely being offended should not be enough to silence someone, otherwise you and I would have arrested each other along time ago.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: And

Beyond Saving wrote:

And really, how offensive is a pineapple?

I know one pineapple that is pretty damn offensive

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Beyond

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

LOL.

― Giordano Bruno

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Beyond

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

We never find you offensive Alison; just a little irritating now and then.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe everyone should be

Maybe everyone should be required to spend a week on sites like reddit and 4chan. That'll grow some resistance to being insulted.

Or spur a rash of suicides and massacres. > >

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yet the

muslims and christians can call us evil and threaten us with torture and death. Maybe Reading should throw out the fucking 'holy' books. That would show some consistency. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck