High school football player beats NFL record.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
High school football player beats NFL record.

Just saw this on the news, . But a highschool football player just broke the sport record for longest feild goal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/19/high-schooler-one-ups-nfl-field-goal-record field goal, 67 yards. That beats the Saint's Tom Dempsy and the two others who tied him.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Just saw this

Brian37 wrote:

Just saw this on the news, . But a highschool football player just broke the sport record for longest feild goal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/19/high-schooler-one-ups-nfl-field-goal-record field goal, 67 yards. That beats the Saint's Tom Dempsy and the two others who tied him.

Sorry but it is no record breaker. The field goals and size of the endzone are different sizes. Also the football is different in size and weight. Also the skill level is different.

Plenty of pro kickers have made over 67 yards but not in a game. In order to get that kind of distance you must kick it lower at the line of scrimmage. If you tried doing what he did in a real game you would have it blocked.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Sorry but it is no record breaker. The field goals and size of the endzone are different sizes. Also the football is different in size and weight. Also the skill level is different.

Plenty of pro kickers have made over 67 yards but not in a game. In order to get that kind of distance you must kick it lower at the line of scrimmage. If you tried doing what he did in a real game you would have it blocked.

Sure, outside an acutall game it happens more often than people know. And certainly you don't have the same level of pressure or skill. But I've never heard in my life, and I did the chains for my Highschool, of the field being a different size. I am not saying that cant be the case in this particular instance, but maybe differnet counties have different laws regarding what constitutes relgulation in that sport.

So I guess what you are saying is that a slow news day constitutes fluffing up a story and over conflating it. I can partially agree with that. I am sure this kid couldn't face professionals and do the same thing. But if this same kid does more of the same and gets through college doing the same he might,(however much the odds are against him) end up in the NFL. Unlikely, but not impossible.

You still cant take that away from this kid. I wouldn't be able to make a field goal from 1 yard away, even back then as a teen.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Sure, outside an acutall game it happens more often than people know. And certainly you don't have the same level of pressure or skill. But I've never heard in my life, and I did the chains for my Highschool, of the field being a different size. I am not saying that cant be the case in this particular instance, but maybe differnet counties have different laws regarding what constitutes relgulation in that sport.

So I guess what you are saying is that a slow news day constitutes fluffing up a story and over conflating it. I can partially agree with that. I am sure this kid couldn't face professionals and do the same thing. But if this same kid does more of the same and gets through college doing the same he might,(however much the odds are against him) end up in the NFL. Unlikely, but not impossible.

You still cant take that away from this kid. I wouldn't be able to make a field goal from 1 yard away, even back then as a teen.

I wasn't attempting to take anything away from the kid. I just don't compare it to the NFL records.