Something to investigate for the big thinkers, if you choose to go down the rabbit hole.

The Dead Weather
The Dead Weather's picture
User is offlineOffline
Something to investigate for the big thinkers, if you choose to go down the rabbit hole.

Subject: http://www.conservapedia.com

Does everyone else here know the huge 500 pound gorrilla in the room difference between Wikipedia and "conservapedia"?

• The difference is, that the sources provided (or allowed to be provided) is from two very different sources. Ones that are factual or at least are heavily checked to be factual are the source of Wikipedia's. Where as religiously motivated websites or social website posts are the references for "conservapedia".

"conservapedia" has incredibly low standards for its sources. That obviously would be the only reason why it has so many sources if it sourced only social websites and church websites, however if you comb over the sources you will find that some of these sources attempt to mimic legitimate scientific publications. Now this could simply be that many conservative websites are attempting to mimic legitimate factual websites for a while now, that is one theory.

Here we can clearly see an attempt to mimic a legitimate scientific journal, complete with ITS OWN sources. Now we can assume that for some reason the Pastor/christian community has been mimicing the same way that scientific journals have been for a long while. However I would be much more inclined to believe that a lot of these sources are just purely fabricated. In that I don't mean whether or not I question that they exist, I mean that people are being paid to develop and source these articles out and pass them off as legitimate and genuine looking.  It is likely that it is a mix of both.

• I would believe that if one were to follow the paper trail of certain sources given if you follow the rabbit hole down enough you will find that you could put a little egg on the face of someone big, however this isn't something I feel that I'm prepared to do and I'm sure many of you aren't either. Just throwing this one out there.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.A

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 welcome

welcome

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, fuck.More drivel to

Oh, fuck.

More drivel to debunk...

Here's a nugget or two:

"That Which is Unnatural"

Homosexuality in Society, the Church, and Scripture

by Joseph P. Gudel

And expect to hear variations of this from the Intelligent Design crowd, who are desperately trying to infiltrate schools with their 'dogma' and 'absolute truths'.

"Too much of what is called 'education' is little more than an expensive isolation from reality." - Thomas Sowell

Pffft....I like my reality to not be half baked, you morons...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am curious about

I am curious about conservapedia. I typed in evolution and its article has extensive propaganda about creationism. What really pissed me off is its attack on Carl Sagan

The agnostic and evolutionist Carl Sagan was an avid marijuana smoker who claimed marijuana gave him scientific insights.[288] Sagan's agnosticism and avid marijuana smoking no doubt helped inspire Sagan's pseudoscientific fantasy that evolution was a "fact".[289]

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism

mrOriginal
atheist
mrOriginal's picture
User is offlineOffline
dude, WTF, Sagan in one of

dude, WTF, Sagan in one of my heroes, that website is F'in bogus.  not cool, not cool at all. 

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
mrOriginal wrote:dude, WTF,

mrOriginal wrote:

dude, WTF, Sagan in one of my heroes, that website is F'in bogus.  not cool, not cool at all. 

I went on the website and started  using its search engine. It is really being designed for fundamentalists to pull away from objective information and live ina propaganda world of their own. It's starting to scare me.  Think of people going there for information that says that evolution is an atheistic tool

Conservapedia:

Since World War II a majority of the most prominent and vocal defenders of the evolutionary position which employs methodological naturalism have been atheists.[4] In 2007, "Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture...announced that over 700 scientists from around the world have now signed a statement expressing their skepticism about the contemporary theory of Darwinian evolution."[5]

I looked at theological research and they even slant their articles deceptively about more liberal theology. It's amazing at the morality of conservative christianity is lying to save the theistic worldview.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:mrOriginal

TGBaker wrote:

mrOriginal wrote:

I went on the website and started  using its search engine. It is really being designed for fundamentalists to pull away from objective information and live ina propaganda world of their own. It's starting to scare me.  Think of people going there for information that says that evolution is an atheistic tool

Conservapedia:

Since World War II a majority of the most prominent and vocal defenders of the evolutionary position which employs methodological naturalism have been atheists.[4] In 2007, "Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture...announced that over 700 scientists from around the world have now signed a statement expressing their skepticism about the contemporary theory of Darwinian evolution."[5]

I looked at theological research and they even slant their articles deceptively about more liberal theology. It's amazing at the morality of conservative christianity is lying to save the theistic worldview.

Is it conservapedia because it tries to conserve information, or because it's made by conservatives? You know... the people that want to go back to the middle ages because back then people didn't have the internet with all its evils (like scrutiny!).

TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thunderios wrote:TGBaker

Thunderios wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

mrOriginal wrote:

Conservapedia:

Is it conservapedia because it tries to conserve information, or because it's made by conservatives? You know... the people that want to go back to the middle ages because back then people didn't have the internet with all its evils (like scrutiny!).

The latter middle age  folks. Go there and do some searches you will be outraged.

Joker
atheist
Joker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was more amused when they

I was more amused when they started with their whole conservative bible project a ways back.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 OK, I am probably the most

OK, I am probably the most conservative person around here. I can tell you that conservapedia is not a work of conservative people.

Seriously, conservatism is a political thing and has nothing at all to do with religion. Sure, the theists have taken the basic ideas and tried to trade them off as having something to do with what they are on about but that is just one more categorical fallacy.

By attaching themselves to the idea of conservatism, they seek to gain some kind of clout that they do not deserve.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
The conservapedia's a fucking right wing lie factory

First off, welcome new member The Dead Weather! Hope you enjoy the atmosphere around here!

Now on to the subject at hand:

Is anyone really surprised that the conservaliefactory is a crazy right wing lie factory? It was started by Andy Schlafly, the son of Phyllis Schlafly, so it's obviously crazy fascist garbage! Some of my "favorites" from them are the articles on "God" and "other gods" and atheism. They are total comedy gold!

The one about "God" is about the Abrahamic god and how real HE is and how HE's going to kick your ass if you don't agree that HE's a great and loving guy. The one on "other gods" literally starts out saying that it's the ones other then the Abrahamic god, and that the term "other gods" came from the ten commandments! What a laugh!

But my favorite piece of insanity from their site is on their article on atheism. Under the heading "Reasonable" explanations for atheism (quotes added by me), the first one on the list is moral depravity! I shit you not! Can you be any more biased as "The Trustworthy Encyclopedia"?

Very surprisingly, they do a tolerable job describing the political philosophy of anarchism, even linking to a great FAQ about it from a source of that persuasion and not another fundie site, infoshop.org, and as an anarcho-syndicalist I'm amazed those conservative liars got anything right. But when it comes right down to it, one article with actual facts about something (whether you agree with it's principles or not) versus the rest of the articles on the site is not that encouraging for a site which is supposed to be an internet encyclopedia!

The sad thing is that there are people who really see that as "The Truth(TM)" and anything differing from that paradigm is "obviously" a lie coming from the mouth of their boogeyman. I just feel bad for the kids they spawn and educationally retard from day one.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did a few searches on the

Did a few searches on the site, conclusion: