Japan Earthquake - An Act of God?

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
Japan Earthquake - An Act of God?

Okay, I know there aren't many theists here but, I'm wondering if anyone has heard any of them actually give credit to god for the Japan earthquake and tsunami?

Weren't there some who said god caused Katrina to come down on NO because of their wicked ways?

 

I just can't comprehend anyone actually believing that there is a being who would intentionally wipe out entire cities...and countries. 

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
http://www.endtimeprophecy.ne

http://www.endtimeprophecy.net/Blog/?p=502

Yet, at the same time, as a Bible-believing Christian, I don’t doubt that God is in control of this situation, and that He has His reasons for allowing these things to happen at this current time, and so suddenly and altogether no less. There are no coincidences with God. He has a reason for everything that He does, or everything that He allows to happen. Thus, I am convinced that these events were an Act of God

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.politics/browse_thread/thread/fafd68e3d4e7389b/93f6aebd6cae45b2?lnk=raot

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3716
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Okay, I know

Sandycane wrote:

Okay, I know there aren't many theists here but, I'm wondering if anyone has heard any of them actually give credit to god for the Japan earthquake and tsunami?

Lol. Here's one.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29114

 

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
If there are any women who

If there are any women who died while pregant, then God would be a hypocrite, and any Christian should be asking himself if the God of the bible, is actually the devil himself, impersonating the creator.

Which would also indicate that God is limited, because he cannot defeat the Devil...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


peto verum
atheist
Posts: 46
Joined: 2011-03-09
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Sandycane

butterbattle wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Okay, I know there aren't many theists here but, I'm wondering if anyone has heard any of them actually give credit to god for the Japan earthquake and tsunami?

Lol. Here's one.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29114

 

 

 

Read that thread.  That is one messed up person.  IF I believed in a god I definitely wouldn't be protecting/validating it, I would be apologizing for its sadism.  I guess I just care more for my neighbors than a theist that believes that another human could possible deserve such pain and tragedy.  More appallingly, use that pain and indignity to further their recruitment of more people/souls.

KORAN, n.
A book which the Mohammedans foolishly believe to have been written by divine inspiration, but which Christians know to be a wicked imposture, contradictory to the Holy Scriptures. ~ The Devil's Dictionary


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker

TGBaker wrote:

http://www.endtimeprophecy.net/Blog/?p=502

Yet, at the same time, as a Bible-believing Christian, I don’t doubt that God is in control of this situation, and that He has His reasons for allowing these things to happen at this current time, and so suddenly and altogether no less. There are no coincidences with God. He has a reason for everything that He does, or everything that He allows to happen. Thus, I am convinced that these events were an Act of God

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.politics/browse_thread/thread/fafd68e3d4e7389b/93f6aebd6cae45b2?lnk=raot

 

I need a mind-numbing break from work so...

From the link you posted:

Quote:
While I won’t pretend to understand everything that God does, His Word — the Bible — does teach us a lot regarding how He sometimes chooses to operate, particularly when people are in rebellion against Him. Having said that, I suspect that such a severe judgment from the Lord may possibly have something to do with the fact that there is a lot of demon worship in Japan. There are likenesses of demons all over Japan. I saw them firsthand when I lived there for almost three years a few decades ago. They are indeed hideous looking things, with long noses and mean-looking, fierce faces. It is my understanding that the Japanese believe that the evil faces scare away the bad spirits, but I must wonder if this is what is really happening.

As I mentioned in a previous post, according to the Wikipedia website, 84-96% of Japanese are Buddhist or Shintoist, while the CIA World Book of Facts notes that only two per cent of Japanese embrace Christianity, even though the Christian Gospel has been preached to them for many decades now.

So, perhaps these events are meant to break their proud hearts, so that they will humbly come to Christ and acknowledge Him as their Lord and Savior. God has operated this way in the past on many occasions. Many people have felt the Hand of God — including the Wrath of God — so why not now as well?

 

So... you think a god caused all this destruction and is expecting all of these victims to get down on their knees, give thanks and worship him?

Sick.

 

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Sandycane

butterbattle wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Okay, I know there aren't many theists here but, I'm wondering if anyone has heard any of them actually give credit to god for the Japan earthquake and tsunami?

Lol. Here's one.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29114

 

 

Yet another sick-o.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:If there are

redneF wrote:

If there are any women who died while pregant, then God would be a hypocrite, and any Christian should be asking himself if the God of the bible, is actually the devil himself, impersonating the creator.

Which would also indicate that God is limited, because he cannot defeat the Devil...

I know! I just can't understand how anyone can worship a being who they say is capable of doing such a thing to people  (and no one has mentioned anything about it yet - what about all of the other life forms that were wiped out by this disaster?) - not to mention actually giving said god credit for doing such a wicked deed.

WTF is wrong with these people???

'OH, my god is a loving god, to those who love him...well, except if they happen to be in the way of his path of destruction, then it is all part of gods plan to cause pain and suffering to those who worship and love him.'

I repeat: WTF?

...and, what about all the dogs, cats, cows, pigs, chickens, goats, squirrels, birds, fish, trees, grass, and bugs etc... that were destroyed? What did they do to piss off this god of delusion?

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:redneF

Sandycane wrote:

redneF wrote:

If there are any women who died while pregant, then God would be a hypocrite, and any Christian should be asking himself if the God of the bible, is actually the devil himself, impersonating the creator.

Which would also indicate that God is limited, because he cannot defeat the Devil...

I know! I just can't understand how anyone can worship a being who they say is capable of doing such a thing to people  (and no one has mentioned anything about it yet - what about all of the other life forms that were wiped out by this disaster?) - not to mention actually giving said god credit for doing such a wicked deed.

WTF is wrong with these people???

'OH, my god is a loving god, to those who love him...well, except if they happen to be in the way of his path of destruction, then it is all part of gods plan to cause pain and suffering to those who worship and love him.'

I repeat: WTF?

...and, what about all the dogs, cats, cows, pigs, chickens, goats, squirrels, birds, fish, trees, grass, and bugs etc... that were destroyed? What did they do to piss off this god of delusion?

You have heard of the cliche play god with another. God is being himself . Playing god is playing with the lives of creatures with no purpose or intent.


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker

TGBaker wrote:

http://www.endtimeprophecy.net/Blog/?p=502

Yet, at the same time, as a Bible-believing Christian, I don’t doubt that God is in control of this situation, and that He has His reasons for allowing these things to happen at this current time, and so suddenly and altogether no less. There are no coincidences with God. He has a reason for everything that He does, or everything that He allows to happen. Thus, I am convinced that these events were an Act of God

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.politics/browse_thread/thread/fafd68e3d4e7389b/93f6aebd6cae45b2?lnk=raot

 

Here's a tip: read a good geology book.

There was nothing 'sudden' about this event, it's been in the making for thousands or millions of years. And although the people of Japan were prepared,  No amount of preparation can save you from an earthquake or tsunami of this magnitude if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Shit happens, that's all there is to it. Your imaginary god had nothing to do with it.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker wrote:Sandycane

TGBaker wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

redneF wrote:

If there are any women who died while pregant, then God would be a hypocrite, and any Christian should be asking himself if the God of the bible, is actually the devil himself, impersonating the creator.

Which would also indicate that God is limited, because he cannot defeat the Devil...

I know! I just can't understand how anyone can worship a being who they say is capable of doing such a thing to people  (and no one has mentioned anything about it yet - what about all of the other life forms that were wiped out by this disaster?) - not to mention actually giving said god credit for doing such a wicked deed.

WTF is wrong with these people???

'OH, my god is a loving god, to those who love him...well, except if they happen to be in the way of his path of destruction, then it is all part of gods plan to cause pain and suffering to those who worship and love him.'

I repeat: WTF?

...and, what about all the dogs, cats, cows, pigs, chickens, goats, squirrels, birds, fish, trees, grass, and bugs etc... that were destroyed? What did they do to piss off this god of delusion?

You have heard of the cliche play god with another. God is being himself . Playing god is playing with the lives of creatures with no purpose or intent.


 

 

Intentionally destroying life and property is a punishable offense. I say your imaginary god should be hung like Saddam was... and anyone who defends said criminal should be punished as an accomplice.

...Oh, wait. We tried that once and you people brought him back from the dead.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:TGBaker

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

http://www.endtimeprophecy.net/Blog/?p=502

Yet, at the same time, as a Bible-believing Christian, I don’t doubt that God is in control of this situation, and that He has His reasons for allowing these things to happen at this current time, and so suddenly and altogether no less. There are no coincidences with God. He has a reason for everything that He does, or everything that He allows to happen. Thus, I am convinced that these events were an Act of God

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.politics/browse_thread/thread/fafd68e3d4e7389b/93f6aebd6cae45b2?lnk=raot

 

Here's a tip: read a good geology book.

There was nothing 'sudden' about this event, it's been in the making for thousands or millions of years. And although the people of Japan were prepared,  No amount of preparation can save you from an earthquake or tsunami of this magnitude if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Shit happens, that's all there is to it. Your imaginary god had nothing to do with it.

Yea but these people see God's knowledge (omniscience) such that he saw this event from the beginning of time. So  he intended it before he created the universe and when he actualized the universe his intent unfolds from the beginning to the end of the existence of creation. They believe that god could have forewarned them if they had been good little boys and girls ( and animals ). 


 Sick delusional and FUBARed

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
Interestingly, some people

Interestingly, some people noticed that there is no looting in Japan.  

 http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/15/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/?hpt=T1

I would suggest this is because there are so many atheists there.  Probably people in Sweden would behave in a similar way.  The reasoning of theists can probably go like this: if God allows for such events to happen, who am I to not just loot a tiny bit.

 


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:redneF

Sandycane wrote:

redneF wrote:

If there are any women who died while pregant, then God would be a hypocrite, and any Christian should be asking himself if the God of the bible, is actually the devil himself, impersonating the creator.

Which would also indicate that God is limited, because he cannot defeat the Devil...

I know! I just can't understand how anyone can worship a being who they say is capable of doing such a thing to people  (and no one has mentioned anything about it yet - what about all of the other life forms that were wiped out by this disaster?) - not to mention actually giving said god credit for doing such a wicked deed.

A loving God, would have to be a woman, if there had to be a God.

No if's, and's, or but's about it.

Sandycane wrote:
WTF is wrong with these people???

Well, it all started with a bunch of limp noodled men, who felt inadequate, in comparison to women, and felt ashamed, and afraid of the sexuality and sensuality that women ooze by simply breathing.

Sandycane wrote:
'OH, my god is a loving god, to those who love him...well, except if they happen to be in the way of his path of destruction, then it is all part of gods plan to cause pain and suffering to those who worship and love him.'

I repeat: WTF?

...and, what about all the dogs, cats, cows, pigs, chickens, goats, squirrels, birds, fish, trees, grass, and bugs etc... that were destroyed? What did they do to piss off this god of delusion?

That's not love.

Loving women, epitomize love.

These dust sucking, camel fucking haters couldn't cope, so they invented an imaginary 'Chuck Norris', and pretend that Chuck could never become weak in the knees.

 

As if....

 

 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

Interestingly, some people noticed that there is no looting in Japan.  

 http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/15/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/?hpt=T1

I would suggest this is because there are so many atheists there.  Probably people in Sweden would behave in a similar way.  The reasoning of theists can probably go like this: if God allows for such events to happen, who am I to not just loot a tiny bit.

 

 

Well, I wouldn't credit it to atheism, rather the general collectivist society they've built that encourages public order and unity as a high virtue.

 

I'd say you can use it as an argument about how religion is superfluous to morality though.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3652
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
  The Christian God shares

  The Christian God shares some personality traits with animal abuser Michael Vick in that they are both sociopaths who enjoy watching others die from drowning.

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." Mark Twain.


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
TGBaker

TGBaker wrote:

http://www.endtimeprophecy.net/Blog/?p=502

Yet, at the same time, as a Bible-believing Christian, I don’t doubt that God is in control of this situation, and that He has His reasons for allowing these things to happen at this current time, and so suddenly and altogether no less. There are no coincidences with God. He has a reason for everything that He does, or everything that He allows to happen. Thus, I am convinced that these events were an Act of God

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.politics/browse_thread/thread/fafd68e3d4e7389b/93f6aebd6cae45b2?lnk=raot

 

I owe you an apology: I'm sorry, I thought this was your personal opinion...then I realized you were just quoting from the link.

You're not the sick theist I thought you were.

Going back to my sewing cave now....

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1830
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

Interestingly, some people noticed that there is no looting in Japan.  

 http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/15/why-is-there-no-looting-in-japan/?hpt=T1

I would suggest this is because there are so many atheists there.  Probably people in Sweden would behave in a similar way.  The reasoning of theists can probably go like this: if God allows for such events to happen, who am I to not just loot a tiny bit.

 

That may be related to the economic situation rather than the religious standing, but I never miss a chance to demonize the religious Smiling  

Edit: I see mellstad pointed this out Smiling

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:TGBaker

Sandycane wrote:

TGBaker wrote:

http://www.endtimeprophecy.net/Blog/?p=502

Yet, at the same time, as a Bible-believing Christian, I don’t doubt that God is in control of this situation, and that He has His reasons for allowing these things to happen at this current time, and so suddenly and altogether no less. There are no coincidences with God. He has a reason for everything that He does, or everything that He allows to happen. Thus, I am convinced that these events were an Act of God

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.politics/browse_thread/thread/fafd68e3d4e7389b/93f6aebd6cae45b2?lnk=raot

 

I owe you an apology: I'm sorry, I thought this was your personal opinion...then I realized you were just quoting from the link.

You're not the sick theist I thought you were.

Going back to my sewing cave now....

I've been called worse and actually I've been worse. Read some of my posts and let me know what ya think.


 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13658
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
According to Jean Calvin in

According to Jean Calvin in other posts here, God was punishing them to serve as an example to us.

This is like a bank robber holding a kid hostage to get the teller to open the vault.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/2

Dog stands by injured friend in Japan...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42110347#42110347

 

So sad!

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein


Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
Posts: 868
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
From my perspective, We can

From my perspective, We can only draw one of three conclusions...

1- There is No God. (Atheism)

2- There is a God, But he doesn't give a shit about us anymore than some microbe on a distant planet (Deism)

3- There is a God, and he's a sick, twisted, narrcisistic, sadistic asshole who makes us suffer to make some kind of cosmic point... But he loves us (Theism)__________________
 

 


TGBaker
atheist
TGBaker's picture
Posts: 1367
Joined: 2011-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:From my

Rich Woods wrote:

From my perspective, We can only draw one of three conclusions...

1- There is No God. (Atheism)

2- There is a God, But he doesn't give a shit about us anymore than some microbe on a distant planet (Deism)

3- There is a God, and he's a sick, twisted, narrcisistic, sadistic asshole who makes us suffer to make some kind of cosmic point... But he loves us (Theism)__________________
 

 

Well number three would work for Mother Nature or Gaia if you wanna throw in the New Agers.  From ashes to ashes, from quantum flux to quantum flux we go I think.

 

 

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whip cream."--Frank Zappa

http://atheisticgod.blogspot.com/ Books on atheism


Thunderios
atheist
Posts: 261
Joined: 2010-12-26
User is offlineOffline
Isn't it obvious Japan was

Isn't it obvious Japan was hit? I mean, the people are murderous, Christian hating savages. I heard they also like to tear down churches and rape christians, because they are infested with devils.

Oh, wait. I confused Japan with basically EVERY NON-SECULAR NATION that was NOT hit by a catastrophe.

Also, Katrina hit the USA. Haiti is basically Christian (they have voodoo as well, but that's like Paul telling the greek that the unknown God is Jahweh, to ease the transition).


Ken G.
Bronze Member
Posts: 1352
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: So sad .....

       Well, I rather see it as way for many people who see this, as a way of understanding, and then gets stucked by the Dogs emotions (altruism) and in doing so understands that animals are very human like in many ways ! So .....  I always try to see if something sad, has a silver linning somewhere.                 PS. How has business been ? You must be very busy !     

Signature ? How ?


Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
Posts: 970
Joined: 2010-10-16
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:      

Ken G. wrote:

       Well, I rather see it as way for many people who see this, as a way of understanding, and then gets stucked by the Dogs emotions (altruism) and in doing so understands that animals are very human like in many ways ! So .....  I always try to see if something sad, has a silver linning somewhere.                 PS. How has business been ? You must be very busy !     

'Busy' is an understatement.

Here's a condensed version of what's been happening:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/29080

I don't know if I'll ever get used to the way a retail business works...one day a $150 sale, the next - nothing.

I'll probably end up with ulcers before it's all said and done.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein