Hi all

GodlessGabriel
atheist
GodlessGabriel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi all

Hello everyone.

This is my first post on this site.I was raised as a christian all my life, and even though my parents aren't too devoted, my grandmother made sure i war taught all about the bible.I am 17 years old and at the age of 14 i fully embraced logic and reason and became an atheist.My parents don't know i am an atheist and i find the fact that as i am typing this, they are sitting in the next room talking, quite amusing. I am never going to tell them (why make them sad?) even though my grandma is a pain(she keeps coming in my room, telling me where to hang crosses and pictures of Jesus), and as long as nobody tels them, they will never know(at least until i move out).I hope i'm going to enjoy posting o this site.

Thanks for listening(reading).

"I don't believe in afterlife, although I am bringing a change of underwear."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is sad you can't tell

It is sad you can't tell them.

I was lucky, my mom, upon telling her I didn't believe, merely saw it as a phase. I don't want to have kids, strictly from a pragmatic standpoint. The biggest reason is that I can't emotionally handle something happening to my pets, and those are just pets. I couldn't see myself handling a crisis with a kid, even if they remained atheist and I had the money.

But I most certainly would not, like far too many theists, disown my kid if they believed in a god. I am sure it bugs my mom that I don't believe, but she is my biggest supporter and always has been.

It is sad you feel you cant tell them, but understandable.

One of my favorite movies of all time is "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner". You could replace race, religion, politics and sexual orientation and the meaning would be the same. How do you be yourself as a child and be different without offending your parents who only want the best for you?

The good thing in the west is that each generation is seeing more and more that labels mean nothing. But in the end as a species, our parents, no matter how wrong they can be sometimes, do the same thing with the same intent, that our species has always have tried. They all merely are selling us what they were sold.

I cut my mom slack because I know she was only doing what she thought was best. She cuts me some slack because she knows we are from different generations.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Perhaps you could asked your parants to tell grandma to stay the hell out of your room.  Or start rearraigning her room decor without being asked.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.  Remember your 17

Welcome.  Remember your 17 now, not 7.  You are a man, you shouldn't feel the need to hide you beliefs and opigions.  I left my home when I was 15 because my mother was to intolerant of anything not Jehovah's Witness.  Your parents seem to be alote looser in that way, but you have to ask yourself, is it better to live a lie?  Personally I don't think so, but in the end it's your choice, I think the older you get the more you will want to explain how you feel to them.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I am 26, I still plan on

I am 26, I still plan on waiting till my parents are dead to come out of the closet Smiling

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

GodlessGabriel
atheist
GodlessGabriel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the welcome.Also,

Thanks for the welcome.

Also, i don't feel like i can't tell them i just don't want to. If believing that they will go to heaven will make them happy, or at least content(and NOT homicidal, genocidal, suicidal, racist or sexist) them i say let them have their fantasy.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. 

"I don't believe in afterlife, although I am bringing a change of underwear."

ChiCityBreeze
ChiCityBreeze's picture
User is offlineOffline
dont b scared

I don't blame you for not wanting to them because they might whip your ass or throw ur ass out or both, naw im just kidding, hey I have experienced telling people how I feel about god and dude jesus and yeah I have been kicked out, associates stop liking me, gpt fired from jobs and all that shit but its there loss. But the truth is your parents loves you, they will accept you and things you decided any day bro. Just tell them how you feel, when you start feeling that way, what made you start feeling that way and how they feel and go on from there. Now grandma, lol...u should I think not tell her, u dont want to b the reason she kicks the bucket  early and then your parents really think u possessed

Xx 1ntel xX

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pleased to meet you, Godless.

Don't be too concerned about keeping your oldies in the dark if it bothers you. I didn't open up about my evil thoughts till my mid-30s though it was pretty well established in my late 20s. It doesn't sound like your oldies are beating your head in with ragged copies of the Daily Light, which is good news. Maybe wait a little longer to tell them. It'll give you time to strengthen your arguments and solidify your position.  And congratulations on your early attainment of the age of reason.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice to meet ya

GodlessGabriel wrote:
Hello everyone.

This is my first post on this site.

You and I share a same name, if yours is really Gabriel.

Rest assured you're off to a better start here at RRS than I was for roughly a month. I was on 'kooky meds' for an endocrine condition, unfortunately. I (thankfully) dropped them.

You'll be fine as long as you keep posting like you are in this thread.

Quote:
I was raised as a christian all my life, and even though my parents aren't too devoted, my grandmother made sure i war taught all about the bible.

Heh.

My grandmothers were raised to be histrionics unable to adapt to a world that constantly changes around them. One has been in a constant state of emotional turmoil since a relatively young age, the other (was) a disciplinarian determined to prevent any more "bad apples" coming out of her family tree. Both of them were determined not to end up like their "bad" siblings, and have lost their minds to it at times. It was easy to disregard whatever came out of their mouths.

Quote:
I am 17 years old and at the age of 14 i fully embraced logic and reason and became an atheist.

Don't ever feel alone in that regard. There are kids who go through childhood being almost absent of the concept of Faith, all because they have a few quirks of mind that most people don't have. (Hint: autistic behavior, unusual personality traits)

I "figured it out" on my own at age 10. In my defense I was encouraged since birth to be an intelligent, observant, and deep-thinking individual by dad. (and he was the most shocked by me becoming an atheist at such an age, ironically.)

Quote:
My parents don't know i am an atheist and i find the fact that as i am typing this, they are sitting in the next room talking, quite amusing. I am never going to tell them (why make them sad?) even though my grandma is a pain(she keeps coming in my room, telling me where to hang crosses and pictures of Jesus), and as long as nobody tels them, they will never know(at least until i move out).

You're a teenager. You've probably had a "who cares what the grown-ups think" moment at least once in your life. It doesn't really matter if your parents know or don't know that you're an atheist. All that matters is that you know fact from fiction, and if my life is any kind of limited example to follow, everything else is just water under the bridge.

Quote:
I hope i'm going to enjoy posting o this site.

You will. I know I did.

Quote:
Thanks for listening(reading).

NP. Drop by anytime.

As Jake would say:

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)