hello everyone

Becca.
Posts: 2
Joined: 2010-02-12
User is offlineOffline
hello everyone

New to the site.

I have been an Atheist for most of my life. Since I was a kid. My parents tried to raise me Catholic but just gave up when me and my brother decided there is probably no god. I started being an open Atheist fairly recently. Now I kind of think it is silly to be afraid to say I do not believe there is a guy in the sky watching and judging us. I am certainly not afraid to say I do not believe in Santa Claus. So whats the difference?


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3716
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Hi, becca, welcome to the

Hi, becca, welcome to the forum!

Where are you from, btw?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2396
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

 

 

            Always nice to see a new face on site. Post often.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
Becca. wrote:New to the

Becca. wrote:

New to the site.

I have been an Atheist for most of my life. Since I was a kid. My parents tried to raise me Catholic but just gave up when me and my brother decided there is probably no god. I started being an open Atheist fairly recently. Now I kind of think it is silly to be afraid to say I do not believe there is a guy in the sky watching and judging us. I am certainly not afraid to say I do not believe in Santa Claus. So whats the difference?

 

Welcome.

Did your parents make you feel guilty about not believing in god? Most Christians will try to put that shame on you.

I too have some of those feelings. I grew up in a fundamentalist extended family. 

Reality is more important to me now than ingesting shame from others. That belongs to them only.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13658
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Welcome.You certainly

Welcome.

You certainly shouldn't be afriad of saying there is no god, but there are REAL things to be afraid of. Like losing your apartment, or job, or friends, or having your property damaged which DO happen.

I find it sad that the people who would do these things really don't understand that their claimed being which to them was All POWERFUL needed mere mortals to fight his battles for them.

It shows how much they really believe.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome!

 

Edit:  I agree, it is rather strange to think about the fact that we are actually arguing with the majority about whether or not magic is real in the 21st century.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
Posts: 2479
Joined: 2006-03-19
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Becca! Congrats on

Welcome, Becca! Congrats on not being afraid to say you're an atheist. I'm also a long-time atheist. Actually, I was never a believer. As soon as I discovered what the word 'atheist' meant, I knew I was one. That was about age 8, as I recall. After getting a lot of backlash from school kids when I challenged their beliefs, I kind of kept it to myself for several years.

Now I adopt an unapologetic atheist stance, which I've grown quite comfortable with.

Hope you enjoy it here, and look forward to hearing from you.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!


Becca.
Posts: 2
Joined: 2010-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Thank you all for welcoming

Thank you all for welcoming me. I'm from California BTW.

Yea this whole unapologetic atheist thing is so new. I feel so hated but that's okay. Sticking out tongue I swear it sucks that a lot of people I try to have debates with regarding the existence of god they act like i am attack them or something. And that I am just some mean bully or something. Oh well that's Christians for you Sticking out tongue lol

 

But really thank you for making me feel welcomed Smiling


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13658
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Becca. wrote:Thank you all

Becca. wrote:

Thank you all for welcoming me. I'm from California BTW.

Yea this whole unapologetic atheist thing is so new. I feel so hated but that's okay. Sticking out tongue I swear it sucks that a lot of people I try to have debates with regarding the existence of god they act like i am attack them or something. And that I am just some mean bully or something. Oh well that's Christians for you Sticking out tongue lol

 

But really thank you for making me feel welcomed Smiling

What? I thought this was a Christian website! DAMN! I've been on this website for years! WHY WHY WHY AM I THE LAST ONE TO KNOW?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


geirj
geirj's picture
Posts: 719
Joined: 2007-06-19
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Makes me hungry

Tapey wrote:

Makes me hungry for some BBQ...


ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
Posts: 419
Joined: 2007-10-18
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the RRS,I've been

Welcome to the RRS,

I've been an atheist all my life, but I only mention it when it comes up usually.

Unfortunately, the difference is people don't hate you or  threaten you for not believing in Santa

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51


jezzicaz789
Posts: 1
Joined: 2010-03-10
User is offlineOffline
Becca. wrote:New to the

Becca. wrote:

New to the site.

I have been an Atheist for most of my life. Since I was a kid. My parents tried to raise me Catholic but just gave up when me and my brother decided there is probably no god. I started being an open Atheist fairly recently. Now I kind of think it is silly to be afraid to say I do not believe there is a guy in the sky watching and judging us. I am certainly not afraid to say I do not believe in Santa Claus. So whats the difference?



Hi , I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!



__________________


Watch Green Zone Online Free


 


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2396
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
jezzicaz789... like.... wow!

 

 

 

           Nice name.   Start your own post and say hi and a bit about yourself.  Welcome none the less but look out  for Brian37  we haven't told him it is an 'atheist site' yet and besides sides that he is---if you will pardon the expression-- a Washington NFL fan: they're just weird.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

 

 

 

           Nice name.   Start your own post and say hi and a bit about yourself.  Welcome none the less but look out  for Brian37  we haven't told him it is an 'atheist site' yet and besides sides that he is---if you will pardon the expression-- a Washington NFL fan: they're just weird.

 

First post and the user already has an sig for a .biz site advertising free tv?  Sad

And I like Jessica's too, so I hope it isn't just a spammer.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.