The Story of Cap and Trade

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
The Story of Cap and Trade

This little video says a lot about how we think out solutions to problems that causes even bigger problems .www.commondreams.org/video/2009/12/11-0

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:So sensitive

ClockCat wrote:
So sensitive with your thin skin. Prep-H?

You wouldn't get butthurt so much here if you just stopped overreacting to everyone that disagrees with you and talked about things.

Widdle-e knows he's right. Faith is powerful.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

See, I disagree with Gauche here and we got into it a little but I'll still talk and agree with him on other issues. 

It's still friendly. I mocked him for parroting conservative talking points, and he suggested I slept with Phil Jones. 

Nothing is taken personally. This is a forum on the internet.

So settle down.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:See, I

ClockCat wrote:

See, I disagree with Gauche here and we got into it a little but I'll still talk and agree with him on other issues. 

It's still friendly. I mocked him for parroting conservative talking points, and he suggested I slept with Phil Jones. 

Nothing is taken personally. This is a forum on the internet.

So settle down.

Please.... can't we all just get along ?   

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's not about having a

It's not about having a disagreement. It's about people talking shit to total strangers and the lack of respect. Calling someone stupid and ignorant because they disagree with you. The arrogance around here is unbelievable. I can have a disagreement and a debate, but when it get's personal and someone talks shit, I'm going to do the same. Yeah, it's an internet forum, but that doesn't mean there should be any less respect than as in real life. No worries though.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Parallel
Parallel's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a sign! We need more

It's a sign! We need more anti-matter.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the global warming debate

and the contention over the science behind it is blinding us to the fundamental truth we are fucking the planet.

It's as if so as there's an argument about warming we can just ignore our multiplicity of enormous mistakes.

It doesn't matter how we do it - warming, destruction of ozone, destruction of habitat, unnecessary over-consumption of resources.

But we are doing it. The truth of this is all around us. Does any one on the forum live in a pristine, unspoiled environment?

Has anyone ever heard what actually happened to the people who lived on Easter Island?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: Has

Atheistextremist wrote:

Has anyone ever heard what actually happened to the people who lived on Easter Island?

... im guessing you want an answer that doesnt involve a conspiracy theory?

What Would Kharn Do?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Lol

It actually combines a couple of of things. Apparently the locals started building huge stone figures to appease the gods, the bigger the figure the more prestige for the village that built it.

Trouble is, the only way to shift these statues around was on log rollers. The entire community got themselves whipped up into a god-race as it were and over a relatively short period of time

the island was devoid of trees enough to encourage rain to fall and the entire island ecosystem broke down completely. The people left and/or died.

So there you have it - god worship and environmental vandalism working together to destroy humanity.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

Decepticons.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Big E wrote:It's not about

Big E wrote:
It's not about having a disagreement. It's about people talking shit to total strangers and the lack of respect. Calling someone stupid and ignorant because they disagree with you. The arrogance around here is unbelievable. I can have a disagreement and a debate, but when it get's personal and someone talks shit, I'm going to do the same. Yeah, it's an internet forum, but that doesn't mean there should be any less respect than as in real life. No worries though.
Hun, it's not because I disagree with you, it's because your patently wrong.  As I have written, you're welcome to your opinion.  Try not to take it so personally when I attack it.  I'm not 'talking shit' to you (seriously, is that what it is when someone doesn't understand you?), I'm telling you that you're spewing ignorant twaddle.  I have no special respect for you, so try not to entertain this idea that I need to be polite to your opinions.  How else would you like me to tell you that you're wrong?  I called you ignorant because you are.  You haven't actually seen any of the evidence you said you have, because like the evidence for creationism or god, the evidence that's supposed to contradict the science of climate change just doesn't exist, what you've seen are, essentially, lies.  I have not called you stupid (seriously, just doing a text search reveals that truth) and I don't think you are; I think you're misinformed.  You can call me arrogant and intolerant all you want, but I don't see you cutting down what I wrote, I see you cutting at me.  The only one who's made this personal is you -according to you we're arrogant, intolerant pricks (never mind the fact that you're intolerant of us intolerant pricks).  If you're putting your opinions on an internet forum expect them to be digested and responded to.  If there's no worries, however, you can carry on your merry way.  Gaily forward!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: But

Atheistextremist wrote:

But we are doing it. The truth of this is all around us. Does any one on the forum live in a pristine, unspoiled environment?

Whatever city you live in I assure you it's cleaner now than it was in the pre-industrial age (if it existed). At least when you walk down the street you don't have to wade through horse manure and have people emptying their trash and chamber pots out of their windows on you. There's documented evidence from the mid 17th century of air pollution in London so thick one couldn't see another person standing in the same room with them, and evidence on the facade of Notre Dame de Paris of air pollution in the 13th century.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:Has

Atheistextremist wrote:
It's not just them the Maya civilization collapsed due to catastrophic flooding due to massive deforestation of the flood plain they called home.  Similar stories are seen all over the place.  In modern Peru, I believe, deforestation and unsustainable agriculture are going to collapse the local food industry in short order.  You're right to say that whatever it is we're doing it's fucking things up badly.  Only whatever it is is a combination of those things mentioned, all of which, in their own way, contribute, exacerbate or collude to ruin our environment not only in one aspect, but wholly.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

Thomathy wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:
It's not just them the Maya civilization collapsed due to catastrophic flooding due to massive deforestation of the flood plain they called home.  Similar stories are seen all over the place.  In modern Peru, I believe, deforestation and unsustainable agriculture are going to collapse the local food industry in short order.  You're right to say that whatever it is we're doing it's fucking things up badly.  Only whatever it is is a combination of those things mentioned, all of which, in their own way, contribute, exacerbate or collude to ruin our environment not only in one aspect, but wholly.

Lies. All of these disasters were caused by angering gods.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Whatever city you live in I assure you it's cleaner now than it was in the pre-industrial age (if it existed). At least when you walk down the street you don't have to wade through horse manure and have people emptying their trash and chamber pots out of their windows on you. There's documented evidence from the mid 17th century of air pollution in London so thick one couldn't see another person standing in the same room with them, and evidence on the facade of Notre Dame de Paris of air pollution in the 13th century.

You are comparing modern development to former development.

I'm pretty sure he is comparing modern development to undeveloped.

People vs no people, rather than people now vs people then.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I forgot about the

I forgot about the environmentalist vision of Utopia with no people. I have to tell you as Utopian visions go that's going to be a pretty tough sell.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gauche is right

I'm Sydney, Australia, and back in the day, effluent poured untreated into the harbour, factories spewed chemicals, etc, etc. Now we have the EPA and huge fines and all the rest.

Lol - now Sydney Water has to treat the effluent before pouring it into the sea from a pipe located 1000 metres or so outside the harbour. Of course back then the population was smaller and now it's over 4 million.

Look - I think the fact we're arguing passionately about it is a step in the right direction. It's a bunch of random folks on a forum about god all get up in arms about the environment that's good.

Lame as this sounds I think everyone just has to make their own changes in their own spaces. It's a good thing to do, even if Al Gore is a righteous twat...

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:So there you have it-...........

Yes ,you framed it out pretty good,except that I think that the stone monoliths were there before the collapse of their environment.I think that Jared Diamond summed it up very thoroughly in his book " Collapse:How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed ". When their society collapsed they destroyed the Monoliths

Signature ? How ?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Global Warming/Bad Astronomy

I glanced over the blog, but I just took my meds , so I put it in my favorites so I can read it tomorrow.

Signature ? How ?