Old testament vs New testament

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old testament vs New testament

I had the pleasure today of doing work at a priests house.  I built a $4000 custom vaneer  wall with tabernacle.  The house has 4 bedrooms down stairs, all with the exact same set up: 1 bed, 1 side table and a  bible on the side table.  No clothes, no mess, nothing, just a bed a table and a bible, a little creepy.  At this job i found out one of the general contractors i do work for is a Christian, i would never have guessed.  We discussed our positions on religion respectfully, the stories that bother me in the bible and so on...  He dismissed alote of the stories saying they were in the old testament.  I am most familiar with the Jehovah's Witness bible, which is pretty much exactly the same as the new testament except for: god/lord replaced with Jehovah, Jesus died on a stake and not a cross, few other little changes.  Id really like to know more about the differences between the old and new testament.  Which stories/verses were left out or changed etc. 

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

The old testament and new testament are entirely different selections of scrolls. There isn't anything to "leave out" it is an arbitrary collection of scrolls. The catholic church decided what "the bible" was going to be in the late 300s AD I believe? Somewhere around there they had meetings and made it.

Anyways,  the old testament is pretty much translated tanakh to my knowledge. The torah for example is like genesis, leviticus, and a few others.

Christianity pretty much uses the same texts as jews do, just slapping it all into "old testament" and saying "new testament" means they don't have to live by the barbaric ways described before. 

Basically, sacrifices got too expensive for people to cleanse their sins. This same thing happened in other areas. The result ends up finding an excuse to not have to sacrifice anymore for "purification".

It became too much a hindrance to society, so society failing to find an adequate way out made one. Tadah. Religion 101 was a fun class.

Now lets punish some some people for sodomy and check to see what the going rate of slaves are according to the holy lawbook of our desert tribe.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
So these stories i find

So these stories i find immoral/unethical or rediculous in the bible in what book/books are thay found now and in history:

-Elijah and the bears slashing the kids to pieces

-10 Plagues first born killings

-Lot having sex with his daughters

-Abraham almost killing his son

etc...

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

So these stories i find immoral/unethical or rediculous in the bible in what book/books are thay found now and in history:

-Elijah and the bears slashing the kids to pieces

-10 Plagues first born killings

-Lot having sex with his daughters

-Abraham almost killing his son

etc...

Yeah those are all in the scrolls jews use, or the christian "old testament".

I don't recall what sections they are from. I have forgotten a lot of specifics, I used to have whole sections memorized. Required by the school I went to.

So useful I forgot it as soon as possible to clear space in my head for more useful things. Like pirate metal.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Yeah those

ClockCat wrote:

I don't recall what sections they are from. I have forgotten a lot of specifics, I used to have whole sections memorized. Required by the school I went to.

So useful I forgot it as soon as possible to clear space in my head for more useful things. Like pirate metal.

Wait... wait... i got this one Clock

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Wait... wait... i got this one Clock

Sweet. Now more shall know of Alestorm.

I personally prefer this song.

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I'm not sure about the

Well I'm not sure about the rest, but the 10 plagues were in Exodus (2nd book in the Old Testament).

When I was a Christian I was taught that we don't follow the Old Testament anymore because Jesus came and sacrificed himself so that all we had to do was believe in him and God would forgive us our sins and we'd live happily ever after in heaven.  But then again, there's the 10 Commandments that everyone is still supposed to follow, along with certain other concepts only outlined in the Old Testament.  Some people still even tithe every month, which is a requirement, again, only in the Old Testament.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cant say im a fan at all,

Cant say im a fan at all, just saw a good oppertunity to go off topic and get a chuckle in

(And if anyone dares post anything with johnny depp, i WILL kill you... slowly )

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Cant say im a fan at all, just saw a good oppertunity to go off topic and get a chuckle in

(And if anyone dares post anything with johnny depp, i WILL kill you... slowly )

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
The New Testament is an

The New Testament is an extension of the OT. It is entirely based on the OT.

Christians dismissing the OT (except quoting their favourite bits) are hypocrites. You can't just ignore the OT and claim that the NT is fact.

That is like going "gee, this penthouse is great" and ignoring the fact it is built on a slum building with crumbly foundations,

or putting pretty icing on a mouldy cake to cover it up.

Same God, same crap

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
ronin-dog wrote:Same God,

ronin-dog wrote:

Same God, same crap

Well, in the conceptual sense they aren't the same God.  Only the Christians worship a tri-une / polytheistic God.  The other two Abrahamic religions prefer their God to be singular in essence...their god concept lacks the multiple personality syndrome of the Christian God.

That's why I always thought the  term  "Judeo-Christian God" was so grossly inaccurate.

I completely understand your point, though.

Free mover (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
some posts on this forum in

some posts on this forum in other topics might fit here, too.

´Jesus deliberately fulfilled some prophecies´ for example shows the connection between the old and new testament.

although the word testament means something like contract or covenant, the parts of the bible are mostly separated based on time and history (before and after Jesus with a 400 year gap in between).

The whole thing of the Messiah being the only way to heaven was implied by the old testament - according to the new testament writers. This must be true, since the Jews are still expecting a Messiah, so something must be written about him in the Jewish bible.

About the tri-une god or monotheism.

there are some passages in the old testament that assign more than one ´form´ to God. There is the Angel of the Lord, kind of impersonating God himself, for example in the burning bush of Moses. also when Abraham has three men visiting him, one of them turns out to be the LORD himself. In the story of creation it says ´let US make people´. Theologians now say that this phrase of ´Hear Israel, the LORD, your God is one´ means that he is one of spirit, i.e. he agrees with himself, rather than one being. In this case, God, Jesus and Spirit form one being together similarly to soul, body and spirit.

One big theological difference between the Jehova´s witnesses´ bible and the other ones is that the passage in the NT were it says that God and Jesus and holy Spirit are one and thus all ´god´, is left out. Jesus was no god according to Jehova´s witnesses.

bpwaddell
bpwaddell's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old testament vs the New testament

A very good question

As you know the "Old Testament"  is the foundation for Judaism, Christianity and of course Islam, but is very very brutal.
The  New Testament  is where the Christian faith derives most if its beliefs,  and is certainly less brutal than the
The Old testament, However the writings of Paul, seem to contradict  the argument that the  New Testament is actually better.

Richard Dawkins in these 2  "You Tube" videos  "The Root of all evil episode 2 parts 3 & 4 " , exposes how both the Old and the New Testaments are guilty of
 serious "by todays standards " moral infractions.

R Hawkins talks about the Old testament:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4lo1V5OJ7c&feature=PlayList&p=B796ED6D62B82423&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

R Hawkins talks about the New testament:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZozd1lETBI&feature=PlayList&p=B796ED6D62B82423&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Interesting the concept of the Hell Houses. which criticise Abortion and Homosexuality .. Also I am seeing more and more fundamentalist
Churches based from Colorado.

Good POST , and a very good question

Smiling Pete