The Story of Cap and Trade

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
The Story of Cap and Trade

This little video says a lot about how we think out solutions to problems that causes even bigger problems .www.commondreams.org/video/2009/12/11-0

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Well that link did'nt work,try this one .

storyofstuff.com/capandtrade/  YES SUCCESS !!!!

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

While every sane person knows this is a problem, I expect nothing short of the effects predicted to happen.

Between the nutty "global warming deniers", people waiting for a rapture, people that don't care, and people not wanting to shoulder responsibility, I expect no resolution to happen short of the planet growing a world government that can dictate terms to international corporations.

I don't expect anything out of people but to continue doing what they are doing, no matter the consequence. 

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:a world government that can dictate terms to -

international corporations.Yes and to dictate no more WAR,that's what the U.N. is supposed to do,but huge military bullies like us,a (rogue state) listen to no one.Just think,we have enough atomic bombs to destroy all life on this plant at least 100 times over,and yet we like to think of ourselves as smart,HA      

Signature ? How ?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
3rd world countries should

3rd world countries should walk away from this crap. It's time for first world countries to take a hit, instead of passing the bucket to the third world. Thats not to say 3rd world countries should ignore climate change but creating a better life for the people of the 3rd world comes first. The first world is where this problem comes from so guess who should be fixing it. This is just another way to keep the 3rd world down.... guess who doesn't have the money to buy more pollution coupons...  Guess who owns the bussiness in the third world which can afford this.... people from the first world. While i think this is a problem to be adressed I do feel it is the first world who needs to make the sacrifice. I don't want the first world to be paying third world countries to reduce carbon levels... I want third world countries to be independant not relying on first world money, third world countries reducing carbon levels will just increase 3rd world dependancy on the first world countries. . The entire way in which this problem is handled stinks.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Tapey wrote:

3rd world countries should walk away from this crap. It's time for first world countries to take a hit, instead of passing the bucket to the third world. Thats not to say 3rd world countries should ignore climate change but creating a better life for the people of the 3rd world comes first. The first world is where this problem comes from so guess who should be fixing it. This is just another way to keep the 3rd world down.... guess who doesn't have the money to buy more pollution coupons...  Guess who owns the bussiness in the third world which can afford this.... people from the first world. While i think this is a problem to be adressed I do feel it is the first world who needs to make the sacrifice. I don't want the first world to be paying third world countries to reduce carbon levels... I want third world countries to be independant not relying on first world money, third world countries reducing carbon levels will just increase 3rd world dependancy on the first world countries. . The entire way in which this problem is handled stinks.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Frankly, the third world

Frankly, the third world does need to curtail certain activities to prevent multiplying the damage already done. But they can not be expected to do so without real help. Sharing of technology and giving them the means to reproduce it on their own is necessary. Unless they get help I don't expect them to follow along. At the same time, they have to put some effort into it too. They can't just sit around and expect others to fix all their problems for them.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Frankly, the

Vastet wrote:
Frankly, the third world does need to curtail certain activities to prevent multiplying the damage already done. But they can not be expected to do so without real help. Sharing of technology and giving them the means to reproduce it on their own is necessary. Unless they get help I don't expect them to follow along. At the same time, they have to put some effort into it too. They can't just sit around and expect others to fix all their problems for them.

Frankly this is a first world created problem so i expect the first world to do the majority of the work. I am against first world countries fixing third world problems in most cases it just creates dependancy as it doesn't come from a disire to help but rather to open up new markets for there goods. The first world telling the third world to cut down is funny. who has been at fault for the last 100 years? Now the third world finally starts industrialising after that is what is good and what do the first world countries now want? nooooo you must cut down. And who will feel the worst of this cutting down the first world or the third world? Who will feel the worst of it if no one cuts down? Either way the third world feels it the most. Any deal that hampers the ability of the third world from bettering the life of its people should be thrown out. I think that is exactly what this cap and trade thing will do. But I fear once again the third world will suffer for first world mistakes.

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
" Frankly this is a first

" Frankly this is a first world created problem so i expect the first world to do the majority of the work."

The current damage is mostly first world based, but the first world is maybe 1/5 of the population, and that 4/5's of the population is starting to do the exact same shit the first world did that got us here in the first place, when they didn't even know the damage being caused. It won't fix anything to ignore facts, it'll just make it worse. Much worse.
I'd be repeating myself to go any further.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
that I agree with, a longer

that I agree with, a longer term more gradual approach would be better for the third world i think. Not so much a reduction of emissions but rather use better technology to make the increses in industrialisation less noticable in regards to carbon levels..

All animals are equal.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Global warming is a farce.

Global warming is a farce. That's all I'm going to say about it. There's enough evidence out there to prove it. Then there's the old June 1974 Time Magazine article that said we were headed for the next ice age. Climate change is a natural occurance. We're pretty arrogant to think that we are the cause of it all. But I'll wait for all the negative responses that my opinion is going to bring, it seems to do that here.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Global warming is not a

Global warming is not a farce, it's a fact.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Global warming

Vastet wrote:
Global warming is not a farce, it's a fact. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

Because wiki says so? Laughable.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/globalwarming.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZcp_wcDXec&feature=player_embedded

http://www.globalclimatescam.com/

http://www.globalwarminghoax.com/news.php

I can post links too. The fact is that global warming/ climate change, or whatever they choose to change the name to after they get caught lying again, is so hyped up and overblown it's ridiculous. Control through fear, when will people ever understand that tactic?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because right wing

Because right wing conspiracy theorists say so? Laughable. Wiki has far more cred than all your links combined.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cap and trade? More like

Cap and trade? More like crap and trade. Nobody better steal that either I thought of it.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Big E wrote:Global warming is a Hoax

Well I guess that there are people out there that don't believe in all of the scientist (over 20,000) that have studied this topic for over 20 yrs.These deniers are thick,and yet they think of themselves as rational people. It makes you wonder 

Signature ? How ?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:      Well

Ken G. wrote:

Well I guess that there are people out there that don't believe in all of the scientist (over 20,000) that have studied this topic for over 20 yrs.These deniers are thick,and yet they think of themselves as rational people. It makes you wonder 

Oh they are being rational. Noone can deny how mucch it'll cost to go greener. Many companies and even governments have a lot of money to lose. It's just like the pro-smoking campaign decades ago. Ironically many of the same people are involved, despite failing with their last efforts. Still, they make money along the way, and stretch out the argument long enough to prepare for the change. Oil companies might fight it, but they're preparing for the inevitable while they do.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:Cap and trade?

Gauche wrote:

Cap and trade? More like crap and trade. Nobody better steal that either I thought of it.

I take your hastily contructed 'Crap and Trade' and, voila, I give you 'Crap and Tard'.

Not stolen, improved.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
What about scientists who

What about scientists who don't agree? Can we consider what they have to say? Not according to Phil Jones we can't, even if he has to redefine the peer-review process. Perhaps now that he had to step down from his position it will be possible, too bad the CRU deleted all their raw data according to the Times online or someone might have actually been able to check their calculations.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Oh no someone let the freepers out again.

We have to do a better job of watching their cages guys.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:What about

Gauche wrote:

What about scientists who don't agree? Can we consider what they have to say? Not according to Phil Jones we can't, even if he has to redefine the peer-review process. Perhaps now that he had to step down from his position it will be possible, too bad the CRU deleted all their raw data according to the Times online or someone might have actually been able to check their calculations.

Thank you. It's funny to hear someone say that the scientists say so so it has to be true, totally dismissing the fact that there are thousands of scientists that disagree. It's especially funny here. So you guys don't believe in god even though they told you to but you believe in other questionable subjects because they told you to. Blah.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Keep your birkenstocks on, I

Clockcat wrote:

Keep your birkenstocks on, I don't write the Times I just read it.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Big E wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Thank you. It's funny to hear someone say that the scientists say so so it has to be true, totally dismissing the fact that there are thousands of scientists that disagree. It's especially funny here. So you guys don't believe in god even though they told you to but you believe in other questionable subjects because they told you to. Blah.

Yes, evolution IS just a theory! Thousands of scientists disagreeing with it can' be wrong, the Discovery Institute does great work in disproving climate change and evolution and the "big bang".

I'm glad someone is honest enough to SAY it though! Wew, what a relief that is.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

Clockcat wrote:

The Washington Times is a daily broadsheet newspaper published in Washington, D.C., the capital of the United States. It was founded in 1982 by Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon, and has been subsidized by the Unification Church community. The Times is known for its conservative stance on political and social issues.

Oh. Okay. Right. Repetition of wharrgarbl makes it okay.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Charles Darwin didn't delete

Charles Darwin didn't delete all his raw data so nobody could check it. Times online.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

Charles Darwin didn't delete all his raw data so nobody could check it. Times online.

Charles Darwin didn't need to throw away storage objects either when moving a headquarters of an organisation across a country into a smaller facility.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Gauche

ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Clockcat wrote:

The Washington Times is a daily broadsheet newspaper published in Washington, D.C., the capital of the United States. It was founded in 1982 by Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon, and has been subsidized by the Unification Church community. The Times is known for its conservative stance on political and social issues.

Oh. Okay. Right. Repetition of wharrgarbl makes it okay.

Their conservative stance on what? It's admitted.

H.P. Lovecraft

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline

ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Charles Darwin didn't need to throw away storage objects either when moving a headquarters of an organisation across a country into a smaller facility.

He also didn't receive 20 million dollars in grant money for saying the world's going to end.

H.P. Lovecraft

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Clock, when I care what

Hey Clock, when I care what you have to say I'll let you know.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:

He also didn't receive 20 million dollars in grant money for saying the world's going to end.

He also was one person hundreds of years ago and not many scientists working in their respective areas trying to use data from around the globe. You probably assume they lied or falsified data too, because your media choice told you so? Lawl.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Big E wrote:

How cute, it thinks it is people. Laughing out loud

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

http://sensuouscurmudgeon.wordpress.com/2009/11/28/discovery-institute-the-mask-falls-away/

Oh. Oh my. What is this? Reading the actual content rather than being fed outrage, that is like POISON!

But but but..it has to be false! Quivering lips everywhere tell me so! Global warming is fake, like evolution and the big bang!

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
Big E wrote:Hey Clock, when

Big E wrote:
A fine example of the "stick fingers in ears and hum real loud" argument.

How about all that corroborating evidence?

To hell with what scientists or pundits say, the evidence is all that matters.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

Big E wrote:

No, it is more poison! Keep it away! We can't let facts get in the way of our conservative outrage! *buries head in conservative paper for safety* Why is everything so liberal biased? It's like reality is against us!

Quick, drown it out with patriotism! USA! USA! USA!

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline

ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:

He also was one person hundreds of years ago and not many scientists working in their respective areas trying to use data from around the globe. You probably assume they lied or falsified data too, because your media choice told you so? Lawl.

My media choice? Alright man whatever. It's reported in hundreds of publications all over the planet. The guy stepped down. He's being investigated. They deleted the raw temperature data. But if you want to believe it's a conservative conspiracy then go right ahead.

H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Gauche wrote:

My media choice? Alright man whatever. It's reported in hundreds of publications all over the planet. The guy stepped down. He's being investigated. They deleted the raw temperature data. But if you want to believe it's a conservative conspiracy then go right ahead.

Hundreds! Hundreds wow! Christiannews, christiansciencemonitor, christiannewsanalysis, worldnetdaily, freerepublic....it's so obvious! To top it off the respected Discovery Institute is all over this! Now if that doesn't prove global warming is false, I don't know what will.

Also, accusations are the same as guilt. Everyone knows that. Obviously all the scientists falsified things and the emails PROVED it. I'm ignoring that the emails are available online or that they are taken entirely out of context, because that might put a dent in my conservative OUTRAGE.

Global warming is fake after all, because I KNOW it. In my gut.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun wrote:Big E

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

Big E wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've never denied those things happening. I said we weren't the sole cause of it. Not to mention the exagerations in it all. It's the natural cycle of things. But you overly leftist tools can suck all this shit up. I'm glad though, that the people here make really easy to find out who to assocaite with rather quickly. I could tell you the sky is blue and you would find a reason to argue.  Friggin ridiculous. Oh, it thinks it's a person.....what a douche.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Big E wrote:

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

Big E wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've never denied those things happening. I said we weren't the sole cause of it. Not to mention the exagerations in it all. It's the natural cycle of things. But you overly leftist tools can suck all this shit up. I'm glad though, that the people here make really easy to find out who to assocaite with rather quickly. I could tell you the sky is blue and you would find a reason to argue.  Friggin ridiculous. Oh, it thinks it's a person.....what a douche.

Need some prep-h? being butthurt must be unfun :<

I'm not sure how you plan to "associate" or "disassociate" with anyone here though. It is an internet forum. If you intent to not talk to people you disagree with (as you suggested in the politics forum) you are going to end up with a very quiet "yes i love myself" party before long.  

Well, however you choose your adventure have fun. Sticking out tongue

Oh yes, and please provide evidence to support your claim that humans are not influencing temperatures. I'm curious to see this.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Hundreds!

ClockCat wrote:

Hundreds! Hundreds wow! Christiannews, christiansciencemonitor, christiannewsanalysis, worldnetdaily, freerepublic....it's so obvious! To top it off the respected Discovery Institute is all over this! Now if that doesn't prove global warming is false, I don't know what will.

Also, accusations are the same as guilt. Everyone knows that. Obviously all the scientists falsified things and the emails PROVED it. I'm ignoring that the emails are available online or that they are taken entirely out of context, because that might put a dent in my conservative OUTRAGE.

A genetic fallacy might be impressive where you come from but it doesn't do much for me. It's also pretty disingenuous considering that you posted in my other thread and saw the quotes from Monbiot and Zorita (I guess they're conservatives now too) and you know that I'm not a right winger or anything close to it. My name means "left" for fuck's sake.

Why don't you comment on the fact that the guy is writing about manipulating the peer-review process and deleting data in FOIA requests? Your whole argument amounts to 'Conservatives and christians are always wrong so if I believe the opposite I must always be right.'

H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

Also, he has not resigned over this, just to clarify.

"Phil Jones, The University of East Anglia Cliamate change boss will relinquish his position until the completion of an independent review into allegations that he worked, altered and misrepresented the way in which global temperature data were presented."

He is simply on vacation until the investigation ends.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

A genetic fallacy might be impressive where you come from but it doesn't do much for me. It's also pretty disingenuous considering that you posted in my other thread and saw the quotes from Monbiot and Zorita (I guess they're conservatives now too) and you know that I'm not a right winger or anything close to it. My name means "left" for fuck's sake.

Why don't you comment on the fact that the guy is writing about manipulating the peer-review process and deleting data in FOIA requests? Your whole argument amounts to 'Conservatives and christians are always wrong so if I believe the opposite I must always be right.'

No. That is not my argument. That is my mockery. There is a difference. It would be a fallacy if I was using it in an argument. I'm not. 

Please explain how he manipulated the peer-review process and deleted data? The original copies stored of the data were physically on old components that were discarded when they moved. It has nothing to do with deleting. They left it.

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
Big E wrote:I'm pretty sure

Big E wrote:
Your evidence that this is "the natural cycle of things"?

Noted: It's gone from "We're not the cause" to "we're not the sole cause".

Also noted: Appeal to social order. Bahahaha!

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:No. That is

ClockCat wrote:

No. That is not my argument. That is my mockery. There is a difference. It would be a fallacy if I was using it in an argument. I'm not. 

Please explain how he manipulated the peer-review process and deleted data? The original copies stored of the data were physically on old components that were discarded when they moved. It has nothing to do with deleting. They left it.

At least you admit you don't have an actual argument and that's a step in the right direction. But you answered with a question when I asked you for a comment. What the guy has actually done is a question for investigators. What he said is admitted and a matter of public record and you can comment on that if it doesn't challenge your faith too much. In case you've forgotten already here's an except from his greatest hits:

"The two MMs have been after the CRU station data for years. If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I’ll delete the file rather than send to anyone."

H.P. Lovecraft

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Since only fake liberals can

Since only fake liberals can be believed apperently here's one of your gods reporting

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

Gauche wrote:

Since only fake liberals can be believed apperently here's one of your gods reporting

...The best you have is a comedian? Really? Wow. That makes it more believable doesn't it?

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah a comedian covering

Yeah a comedian covering what's been reported on CNN the Conservative News Network! HAhahahahahaha

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

At least you admit you don't have an actual argument and that's a step in the right direction. But you answered with a question when I asked you for a comment. What the guy has actually done is a question for investigators. What he said is admitted and a matter of public record and you can comment on that if it doesn't challenge your faith too much. In case you've forgotten already here's an except from his greatest hits:

"The two MMs have been after the CRU station data for years. If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I’ll delete the file rather than send to anyone."

Where exactly did I say I didn't have an argument? I simply said that the mockery you chose to present as my argument was fallacious and an incorrect assumption. 

Also, that is a nice quote. Can you tell me the context it is from? I have already repeatedly seen cherry picked quotes out of the 13 years of emails that are so far out of context it is laughable. Whatever can be, becomes conservative outrage and wharrrrgarbl.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lol.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche wrote:

Yeah a comedian covering what's been reported on CNN the Conservative News Network! HAhahahahahaha

Humor must elude you. What he is saying is entertaining. That is what he does. I laughed. I'm not full of outrage or deluded to think that global warming is falsified as some giant conspiracy by scientists and glaciers across the globe. Laughing out loud