Memetics and Religion

aristopus111
aristopus111's picture
User is offlineOffline
Memetics and Religion

Ever since Richard Dawkins wrote The Selfish Gene in 1976, I've been a devotee of memetics.  I've read many books on the subject and consider myself conversant.  I even wrote Mirror Reversal whose main theme is a memetic understanding of history and life.

Memetics can answer a lot of questions about history and many of the problems we're facing.  A line from MR is:  Humanity can be defined as a peculiar ape infested by memes.  Try watching TV for a couple of hours; you'll see what I mean.

Once we understand the basic nature of the selfish meme, a lot of answers unfold.  Take, why is homosexuality an abomination in the Bible.  Answer:  becuase they don't reproduce.  The memeplex called Christianity is only concerned with its own replicaiton and gays are a dead end.  The memeplex wants large extended families where stable membots, (infested brains that devote their lives to the propagation of the memeplex.)  Morman lads by force become missionaries for two years to "spread the word." 

I'd be glad to monitor a discussion; it's a wonderful subject, closely mirroring genetics, but unique in its far-reaching ramifications. 

Here's a final question:  What could possess a person to become a monk, climb up a mountain, and sustain himself for the rest of his life with a daily meal, Bible and prayer stool? 

There's a discussion on the "endmeme," the believe that God will come again to destroy the world, at http://www.mirrorreversal.com

What a cruel ironic cosmic joke! Books written by goat herders and fishermen, determining the destiny of mankind and the entire planet.” Mirror Reversal, Rich Goscicki

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
aristopus111 wrote:Ever

aristopus111 wrote:

Ever since Richard Dawkins wrote The Selfish Gene in 1976, I've been a devotee of memetics.  I've read many books on the subject and consider myself conversant.  I even wrote Mirror Reversal whose main theme is a memetic understanding of history and life.

Memetics can answer a lot of questions about history and many of the problems we're facing.  A line from MR is:  Humanity can be defined as a peculiar ape infested by memes.  Try watching TV for a couple of hours; you'll see what I mean.

Once we understand the basic nature of the selfish meme, a lot of answers unfold.  Take, why is homosexuality an abomination in the Bible.  Answer:  becuase they don't reproduce.  The memeplex called Christianity is only concerned with its own replicaiton and gays are a dead end.  The memeplex wants large extended families where stable membots, (infested brains that devote their lives to the propagation of the memeplex.)  Morman lads by force become missionaries for two years to "spread the word." 

I'd be glad to monitor a discussion; it's a wonderful subject, closely mirroring genetics, but unique in its far-reaching ramifications. 

Here's a final question:  What could possess a person to become a monk, climb up a mountain, and sustain himself for the rest of his life with a daily meal, Bible and prayer stool? 

There's a discussion on the "endmeme," the believe that God will come again to destroy the world, at http://www.mirrorreversal.com

Religious memes would possess a person to become a monk and climb a mountain.

I have a friend who is a Christian fundamentalist who believes that someday soon Jesus will fly to earth on a cloud and all the dead people will rise from their graves to meet Jesus in the sky. I couldn't figure out how a person of his intelligence could believe such absurd nonsense. I thought he was insane. Our friendship was deteriorating because I was finding it extremely difficult to constantly hear him talk absurdities. Then about a year ago I discovered the power of memes.

Now I can more easily tolerate him because I know that his mind has been infected with Christian memes and even though he is an intelligent man, the memes are in control and are protecting themselves. There's little chance that rational thinking and reason will rid him of those memes anytime soon.

But memes have also infected my brain. As I sit here typing these words I am wearing a pair of camouflage shorts. I have seen lots of guys wear camouflage shorts. So one day when I went to Sears I bought a pair of camouflage shorts. The other night I had a friend over for dinner. I hadn't seen this friend for several years. When I opened the door he was wearing a pair of camouflage shorts for the same reason I was. This is another example of how memes spread.

Last summer on this RRS forum, someone mentioned the word "memes" in their post.  Later while reading Richard Dawkin's "The Selfish Gene" at Boarders Bookstore I saw the word "memes" again so I bought the book.  Later I googled "memes" on line and read more.  Eventually I bought Susan Blackmore's book, "The Meme Machine". I had become infected with the memes meme.

Now my memes meme has been reinforced by your post about memes and has replicated itself by my response to your post. Further discussion about memes on this forum may spark more interest in memes and spread the information like a virus.

And that's how memes work.

Memes explains a lot about why we humans think and behave the way we do, even though many times that behavior is irrational.  I find the subject fascinating.

Rick

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I too find the meme concept

I too find the meme concept very useful and explanatory.

I think the fundamental aspect of the meme is that memes are parasitic on our thought patterns, and 'evolve' independently of our own biology. This explains how ideas that are not helpful to our own personal reproductive success can nevertheless spread. The meme of religious celibacy may be one example of this.

A successful meme is one that appeals strongly to some aspect of our thought processes. It will be even be even more successful if it strongly inspires the person 'infected' to try to persuade others to adopt the meme, hence the obvious application to religious proselytizing.

Have you read Susan Blackmore's "the Meme Machine"?

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Celibacy and asceticism are

Celibacy and asceticism are practised voluntarily by so relatively few for religious reasons that they don't affect reproduction of the species in any way significantly. But they have served in the past to reinforce a form of validity on the other irrational concepts which come as part of the package and which the "faithful" are expected to adhere to. They therefore play a significant role in meme propagation and survival.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meme for celibacy certainly

Meme for celibacy certainly wouldn't affect the survival of the species to any significant degree, of course.

But a biological 'gene' for celibacy would not spread very well at all.  This was my point - it requires something like a memetic mechanism to spread. A genuine commitment to celibacy is likely to have a rather significant impact on the reproductive success of the individuals holding it.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote:(...)Now my

RickRebel wrote:
(...)Now my memes meme has been reinforced by your post about memes and has replicated itself by my response to your post. Further discussion about memes on this forum may spark more interest in memes and spread the information like a virus.

Aaaaaaaagh! Get it off me! Get it off me! I don't want meeeemes!

You know, memes may be like cooties... worse: cooties ARE a meme, aren't they? And the worst thing is that the "Memes meme" may be or become a meme itself sooner or later, and then éveryone will be confluzed :O

aristopus111
aristopus111's picture
User is offlineOffline
great stuff

<<<<< I have a friend who is a Christian fundamentalist who believes that someday soon Jesus will fly to earth on a cloud and all the dead people will rise from their graves to meet Jesus in the sky. >>>>>

Dawkins does a great job explaining why this is so in "Root of All Evil."  On Youtube.  Children are very volunable because they are wired by natural selection to copy.  That's why kids believe in Santa Claus.  The programming runs deep and many of the membots are incurable.  Take the hell meme, for instance; some membots will carry the fear the rest of their lives like a cureless brain wart.

<<<<<But memes have also infected my brain. >>>>>

A metameme is a meme about memetics.  Quite true, metamemes can infect brains in the same way as any other meme.  But memeplexes have different degrees of toxicity.  Your not going to become a suicide bomber because you carry information about memes. 

Neat story about the camouflage pants.  I like the one about urban teens that wear their baseball caps backward.  Completely defeats the purpose of the cap; the visor is there to shield the eyes from the sun.  But to their peers, it's "cool" to do so.  Peer acceptance, girls, being different, being rebelious are all memetic hooks that account for the contagion of this strange behavior. 

Youtube "Susan Blackmore."   She has a 10-minute lecture on there that is just delightful.  She's great; you'll enjoy it.  I like her line in The Meme Machine where she says that memeplexes actually shaped western civilization to facilitate their replication.  There's a church every few blocks where I live in Sarasota, Fl. 

<<<<< Further discussion about memes on this forum may spark more interest in memes and spread the information like a virus. >>>>>

I would like that very much.  The social science (it's not a true science like genetics) has been repudiated by much of academia because people don't like to hear that their most cherished beliefs are nothing more than the memotype of a malicious, selfish computer virus that's grows in their brain like a tumor.

Great stuff

To be continued,

What a cruel ironic cosmic joke! Books written by goat herders and fishermen, determining the destiny of mankind and the entire planet.” Mirror Reversal, Rich Goscicki

aristopus111
aristopus111's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Meme for

BobSpence1 wrote:

Meme for celibacy certainly wouldn't affect the survival of the species to any significant degree, of course.

But a biological 'gene' for celibacy would not spread very well at all.  This was my point - it requires something like a memetic mechanism to spread

Thanks for your input.  Absolutely, A gene for celibacy is unheard of.  Makes no sense at all.  But from a memetic point of view, celibacy is a logical trade off.  The memeplex loses a few staunch  membots, but that gives them more time to convert others. 

Here's a oxymoron for your list:  military intelligence

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I recently wrote my

I recently wrote my bachelors dissertation on memes, particularly in relation to Marxism. My forthcoming Masters dissertation will seek to apply the theory to the link between Culture and Power. I love the theory, it's wonderfully simple. I would hold back on the parasite analogy and stick to the gene analogy. My reasoning here is that parasite implies something that is malicious to the host. A better analogy would be the many bacteria that live in our bodies (according to Dennett, for every one human cell in our bodies there will be nine alien cells), many of these alien cells are not only beneficial but essential for our survival, it is a fair trade, we provide the necessary conditions for them to survive and they perform essential tasks in our survival machine: breaking down nutrients, bolstering our immune system etc.

We couldn't have functioning human brains without memes, just as we couldn't have a functioning digestive system without bacteria. Memes are just part of the way that our minds work. Some memes are like pro-biotic yoghurt that help us to be happy, some (like science) are 'good for the eyesight' and help us to see truth, whilst others it is true are malevolent parasites akin to AIDS or lancet flukes. The discovery of the meme meme is important because this particular meme allows us to see all memes for what they are, and can help to keep our minds immune from outside parasites. The meme meme is like the mother of all vaccines, combined with a healthy portion of fruit and pro-biotic yoghurt.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with the comment

I agree with the comment about 'parasites' - a 'symbiotic' relationship, perhaps. Possibly parasitic in the sense that we can conceive of a mind without memes, but a meme is absolutely dependent on a mind.

Although it occurs to me that maybe we could think of our conscious thoughts as built upon interacting 'memes'....

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Although it

BobSpence1 wrote:
Although it occurs to me that maybe we could think of our conscious thoughts as built upon interacting 'memes'....

Are our conscious thoughts built entirely on memes? And if so, is what we think of the "self" nothing more than a lifetime collection of memes interacting with one another?

Rick

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote:BobSpence1

RickRebel wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Are our conscious thoughts built entirely on memes? And if so, is what we think of the "self" nothing more than a lifetime collection of memes interacting with one another?

Rick

I do not think that every single thought process can be called memetic. Introspection for example is a huge part of what we might term the 'self'. While the way in which we are introspective might be influenced by memes, the thoughts themselves are not memes. If say I were to communicate my introspective thoughts say in an autobiography then sure memes relating to how I saw myself would arise and spread a certain distance in time and space (dependent upon how many people had heard of me and how long I am remembered for), but these memes could not be in any way the same as the original introspective thoughts.

aristopus111
aristopus111's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob, You certainly elevate

Jacob, You certainly elevate the level of this discussion.  Thanks.  I had an idea of Memetics 101, and now I find myself hitting my bookcase in search of info about the selfplex.  That's cool; let's try to keep the discussion open to all, beginners as well as avid devotees. 

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

A better analogy would be the many bacteria that live in our bodies (according to Dennett, for every one human cell in our bodies there will be nine alien cells), many of these alien cells are not only beneficial but essential for our survival,

Definitely.  Memes are an important part of primate evolution.  The analogy is accurate.  Most memes are beneficial and have been selected because they aid our chances of survival—how to ignite a fire, for instance.  Or sharpen a spear. 

I focused on the pernicious memes because of the relevancy of religion to the RRS board. 

Quote:
The meme meme is like the mother of all vaccines, combined with a healthy portion of fruit and pro-biotic yoghurt.

Again, I agree.  I like the term metameme, a meme about memetics, but either way it's certain the more we know about the process the better.  When a Jahovah Witness knocks on your door, it's great to know—behind that charming, smiley face—is a benighted, programmed creature who wants to infect you with a deadly, mind-controlling memetic hook.  God bless 'im.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
aristopus111 wrote:When a

aristopus111 wrote:
When a Jahovah Witness knocks on your door, it's great to know—behind that charming, smiley face—is a benighted, programmed creature who wants to infect you with a deadly, mind-controlling memetic hook.  God bless 'im.

That's great way of putting it.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
aristopus111

aristopus111 wrote:

Definitely.  Memes are an important part of primate evolution.  The analogy is accurate.  Most memes are beneficial and have been selected because they aid our chances of survival—how to ignite a fire, for instance.  Or sharpen a spear. 

I focused on the pernicious memes because of the relevancy of religion to the RRS board. 

I'd like to put it slightly differently. Memes are selected because they are good for their own survival. If they are or appear to be good for the host, then that aids their replication into new minds. Let's look for example at an alternative "medicine" like homeopathy. Homeopathy has been around for well over a hundred years, but in recent years has seen a significant increase along with post-modernism. The idea that something is alternative to the 'norms' of society is appealing to many people who think that maybe science isn't all it's cracked up to be. The word "alternative" also connotes a level of equality or even superiority to conventional medicine. Then of course the word medicine is also appealing because people think that these remedies (which actually only contain water) will actually cure them. These factors along with the placebo effect make homeopathy an extremely appealing meme.

aristopus111
aristopus111's picture
User is offlineOffline
I kid thee not

Memetic hooks are fun to comtemplate.  Of course, salvation is the biggie.  Save your soul baby.  That's all that counts in the long run.  Praise be to Jesus, 'cause I don't want to fry.  And for eternity, yet.  Not just a couple of days and even lifetimes.  This is serious stuff. 

The salvation meme has two components that go together hand and glove:  the heaven meme and the hell meme.  To me as a teenager, the former was never that enticing.  But picture a Muslim kid; he can't even see the face of a lady outside his own family until he gets married.  With sex hormones boiling at that age, the paradise meme with the full virgin dividend can seem pretty tempting.  Memes have the ability to shape human behavior and culture for their own purposes.  Why else would a woman be forced to wear such uncomfortable clothes, including veil, in the hot sun if not for some ulterior motive.  Without a memetic interpretation, it's pretty weird behavior. 

The "Root of All Evil" that I mentioned portrays some pretty sick hell meme membots.  One itinerant thespian puts on "passion shows" and dresses up like the devil to scare the wits out of kids forced to watch by their parents.  The indoctrination seeps deep in the subconscious, such that membots live in fear the rest of their lives.   

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
aristopus111 wrote:With

aristopus111 wrote:
With sex hormones boiling at that age, the paradise meme with the full virgin dividend can seem pretty tempting.

Yep. The combination of infectious religious memes and adolescent horniness and it's easy to see why a teenage Muslim would want to rush to the orgy.

Rick

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Xlint reading you all.

Xlint reading you all. Thanks. Meme of the day, "I am god as You" ... so I wish. LOL

aristopus111
aristopus111's picture
User is offlineOffline
The embryo God

I am God as you, There's a paragraph in Mirror Reversal that touches on your idea.    It's pretty far out but I wonder what you and the others think of it. 

“It’s Anne Frank who’s the inspiration of our species. Even locked in the jaws of insanity, she realized that our species is still in infant stages and forgave her Nazi tormenters. The alternative, that it was all a waste of time, is unbearable to contemplate.

“It took a half a billion years to evolve a primordial bacterium. Another two billion to evolve a cell with a localized nucleus. A billion more to evolve complex animals. How long should it take to evolve an omniscient God? But just as the biosphere is the total of life on our precious planet, the noosphere is the total knowledge and wisdom -- and growing exponentially. What an irony of cosmic proportions that people believe humanity was created in the image of God. But we were the nascent God all the time.” 

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  I appreciate and very

I appreciate and very much agree with what you've written here. This is part of why I try to "preach" atheism by a less common method, here in the west, using more of an eastern approach. Like wild Alan Watts who had a big influence on me. 

.... "But we were the nascent God all the time.”  Yes, of course, and obviously. Funny and sad how so many don't grasp this simple truth. Sartre said, "we are condemned to be free", and in total agreement, I simply say condemned to be "god". God , g-awe-d is simply and ultimately a science question.

Thanks for hanging with us here at RRS. 

aristopus111
aristopus111's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks

As Carl Sagan said, "it's just one more item on the infinite list of unrequited possibilities."  Not believing in God has some definite benefits.  We can throw out all "the devil" nonsense, for instance—and live without fear of vampires and demons.  

Also, Calvin's idea of predestination.  If there's no God, He can't be pulling the strings of our personal lives.   The fact is, we can't predict one minute into the future, much less a lifetime.

So, humanity's future is undetermined.   We'll have to break out of the Dark Ages before we evolve into a spiritual entity.  But I believe apotheosis is possible. 

In terms of the Prime Directive, the force that governs all life, homo sp is no more advanced than a rodent or insect.  As long as people keep on making as many babies as they can, and go to war to expand their territory, I don't see how religious people can consider humanity more evolved on a spiritual plane than fish. 

In short, as Sagan said in his last interview, we need a new religion based on a cosmology revealed by science.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
aristopus111 wrote:    

aristopus111 wrote:

“It’s Anne Frank who’s the inspiration of our species. Even locked in the jaws of insanity, she realized that our species is still in infant stages and forgave her Nazi tormenters. The alternative, that it was all a waste of time, is unbearable to contemplate.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. I must confess that my scope of knowledge regarding Anne Frank is somewhat limited, so I must ask.... Did she really believe that her own ruminations of  humanity, no matter how profound they may have been, were correct or even preferable, in her equating intolerability with purposeless living?  That is, as if any living being or thing should expect some type of compensational gain or measures beyond a capacity of no benefit. 

aristopus111
aristopus111's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Wonko, the Anne Frank quote was taken out of context.  The following is the paragraph from the last chapter of Mirror Reversal

“We’ve come so far as a species. I’ll never give up on humanity. We took so long to evolve. Albert Einstein, Mark Twain, and recently Kurt Vonnegut all gave up on humanity before they died. But like the insuperable warrior, wounded, bloody and unable to walk, who faces the enemy onslaught pistol in hand, I’ll never give up hope. Religion and superstition mustn’t be allowed to destroy the world with their apocalyptic nonsense, the Endmeme that pervades all religions. 

“It’s Anne Frank who’s the inspiration of our species. Even locked in the jaws of insanity, she realized that our species is still in infant stages and forgave her Nazi tormenters. The alternative, that it was all a waste of time, is unbearable to contemplate.  The point is that we only have species consciousness, i.e. knowing how we stand in relation to the other life on the planet, since 1859, the publication of Origins of Species.  We're still infants from a phylogenic point of view. The Endmeme is my own term and is defined in the Mirror Reversal Glossary.  It's the belief that Christ is coming back and this time it's NO MORE MISTER NICEGUY.  He's coming back with hordes of pissed off angles and the four horsemen who are Famine, Plague, War and Death.  And Death rides a pale horse so look out. The Endmeme is a horrible threat to humanity and there wasn't even a term for it in science and psychology textbooks until I came along.  Shows the power of memetics. Getting back to Anne Frank, she kept up hope until the very end, which was by treachery of a trusted friend.  There's a quote in the last chapter on how she forgave the Nazi because she realized humanity was still in early stages.  One last point on this:  H.G. Wells was one of the greatest science fiction prophets of the century.  He was cremated but wanted as an epitaph, "You fools, you should have listened to me."  He never gave up hope for humanity but admitted it didn't look good.  But we have to keep trying (to save it).        

aristopus111
aristopus111's picture
User is offlineOffline
Continued

To continue with memetics, consider the Ten Commandments.  According to selfish meme theory, the Ten Commandments meme's only concern is the replication of the Ten Commandments meme.  The morality of carriers or hosts as little to do with it.  Most of the commandments have to do with establishing a stable society, so that replication can be continued from one generation to the next.  "Honor you parents" is in there because they are undoubtedly membots.

The point is that with all the sins and crimes that humans are capable of, from genocide to horrible acts of torture, what is the most important behavior that the meme sees fit to regulate?  Remember memes are in constant competition with other memes:

Commandment Numero UNO:  Thou shalt not worship other memeplexes.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:I

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I recently wrote my bachelors dissertation on memes, particularly in relation to Marxism.

this is interesting, jacob.  i've actually been thinking about this for several months, since you told me you were a memetic materialist.  while, as i said, i'm not entirely sold on dialectical materialism, i can understand the dialectic in the class struggle as the driving force of history much more easily than this sort of hard-wired memetic aspect.  if memetic theory can be applied to marxism, how does the possibility of a classless society fit in?  i can very well understand how the dialectical struggle can negate itself (the negation of the negation) in the dictatorship of the proletariat and thence to the highest stage of communism, but if historical materialism is driven by memes, won't any proletarian revolution be treading water at best?  i mean, no matter whose hands the means of production are in, we can't escape from our own natures, right?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Jacob

iwbiek wrote:

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I recently wrote my bachelors dissertation on memes, particularly in relation to Marxism.

this is interesting, jacob.  i've actually been thinking about this for several months, since you told me you were a memetic materialist.  while, as i said, i'm not entirely sold on dialectical materialism, i can understand the dialectic in the class struggle as the driving force of history much more easily than this sort of hard-wired memetic aspect.  if memetic theory can be applied to marxism, how does the possibility of a classless society fit in?  i can very well understand how the dialectical struggle can negate itself (the negation of the negation) in the dictatorship of the proletariat and thence to the highest stage of communism, but if historical materialism is driven by memes, won't any proletarian revolution be treading water at best?  i mean, no matter whose hands the means of production are in, we can't escape from our own natures, right?

The thing I found in my research and development of ideas for this essay is that the concepts of inevitability and progress have to go out of the window. There is no reason to suggest that a classless society will ever exist, of course, as someone with Marxist principles I would like this to happen, but there is no certainty of it happening eventually by itself. Sure dialectics arise in history which drive it to new conclusions, but the dialectic of the capitalist age is much more complicated than simply bourgeois vs proletariat - there are all sorts of other ideas and interests: diasporic cleavages, cultural cleavages, ideological cleavages etc. In other words, culture and society are complex structures, which while they may be governed by certain simplistic macro-factors, are still easily influences by the vast multitude of micro-factors and will always be unpredicatable.

I think it is important for us Marxists to get away from the notion that "the revolution" is inevitably going to happen one day. Such a notion, no matter how much it fills us with hope, is reliant on a faith in the work of Karl Marx, who no matter how good he was at identifying macro-trends in capitalism and understanding how capitalism worked, was often over simplistic and vague. As with Dennett's 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea' which encourages us to drop the illusions of safety in pre-Darwinian thought and seek meaning in Darwinism, I felt this essay had to have the purpose of pulling Marxists out of their faith in the future, because to carry on as we are will get us nowhere. Cultural Darwinism has out-explained Dialectical Materialism, just as Darwin out-explained Lamarck and it's about time we realised that and dealt with the consequences.

If you would like to read my dissertation send me a personal message on here and give me an email address to send it to.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:The

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

The thing I found in my research and development of ideas for this essay is that the concepts of inevitability and progress have to go out of the window. There is no reason to suggest that a classless society will ever exist, of course, as someone with Marxist principles I would like this to happen, but there is no certainty of it happening eventually by itself. Sure dialectics arise in history which drive it to new conclusions, but the dialectic of the capitalist age is much more complicated than simply bourgeois vs proletariat - there are all sorts of other ideas and interests: diasporic cleavages, cultural cleavages, ideological cleavages etc. In other words, culture and society are complex structures, which while they may be governed by certain simplistic macro-factors, are still easily influences by the vast multitude of micro-factors and will always be unpredicatable.

I think it is important for us Marxists to get away from the notion that "the revolution" is inevitably going to happen one day. Such a notion, no matter how much it fills us with hope, is reliant on a faith in the work of Karl Marx, who no matter how good he was at identifying macro-trends in capitalism and understanding how capitalism worked, was often over simplistic and vague. As with Dennett's 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea' which encourages us to drop the illusions of safety in pre-Darwinian thought and seek meaning in Darwinism, I felt this essay had to have the purpose of pulling Marxists out of their faith in the future, because to carry on as we are will get us nowhere. Cultural Darwinism has out-explained Dialectical Materialism, just as Darwin out-explained Lamarck and it's about time we realised that and dealt with the consequences.

If you would like to read my dissertation send me a personal message on here and give me an email address to send it to.

well, i wasn't referring to an inevitability of a classless society, but whether, under the idea of memetics, it would even be possible at all.  dogmatic marxism is not marxism because marx, of course, modified his views several times and would still be modifying them were he alive today.  your notions sound like a more eloquent exposition of one of mao's opinions, i.e., things will always change, there will always be dialectics, and "the negation of the negation does not exist."  this is also interesting.

i am in 100% agreement with you that a proletarian revolution is not inevitable.  i think the end of global capitalism as we have known it is inevitable because so much of it relies on nonrenewable resources.  i am also in 100% agreement with you about micro-factors, which is why i tend to identify myself as a trotskyist.  trotsky was very adept at recognizing the dialectics within the proletariat, the petty bourgeoisie, etc., and applying them to current events.  he was also an active revolutionary and you're absolutely right: communism is not a cloud cuckoo land for marxists to sit and dream of, waiting for it to float down into their laps like it's owed to them.  imo, a marxist is by definition an active revolutionary, even if that activity extends only as far as the ballot box (which imo is like punching a stone wall but at least it's something).

i would love to read your disseration.  currently, however, i teach english more than 40 hours a week, proofread translations, and i'm building my house myself.  no time at the moment, i'm afraid.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson