Seriously...

sierra
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Seriously...

Just got back recently from another fantastic Catholic experience. Feel bad

that you all are missing out on such awesome blessings available to you in

this life. Plus, if not for the grace of God, I could be in your shoes. Therefore,

in kindness and gratefulness, I would like to share this story of love from

a priest who spoke at our conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wMV0l7UXtY

Its a short one...only 4 minutes, but well worth it.

For more sermons from this priest, go to:

http://www.thereasonforourhope.org/

and sign up! You can listen to his homily/sermon each week. Great wisdom

that will help you on this journey.

Blessings to you all

sierra

(male by the way)

PS-For those that were bashing priests for sex abuse scandals, my rational

response is that you will find sinners in all walks of life, even the priesthood

sorry to say.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
So... let me see if I get

So... let me see if I get this...

A priest goes up to a pulpit and says that people ought to love each other without judging, and therefore, I shouldn't point out how stupid it is to believe in god?

While I'm at it... am I to assume that you need a god story to figure out that human compassion is a good thing?  Or maybe I could just be a good person without all the genuflecting...

Yeah... that's what I'm going to do.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

sierra
Theist
User is offlineOffline

No, you missed the point. How sad

it is that your hearts and minds are

so closed. Step outside the box for

a few minutes people, try and entertain

the idea that you may be missing out

on the most important thing ever.

Pascals wager folks! (Yeah, I know, you

have a an irrational response to that too!)

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
So glad to hear there are

So glad to hear there are still cloth men who will stand up and admit that we've only got a short few decades of living that upon death will determine our fate for well beyond millions upon billions of years. Forever and all eternity, indeed !

And here I began to think they were all running from that silly notion.

Crazy me.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:(Yeah, I know, youhave

Quote:

(Yeah, I know, you

have a an irrational response to that too!)

Actually, I have crushed Pascal's wager. I wrote this response long, long ago and delight in employing it:

Quote:

The purpose of the wager is to convert the weak willed by means of ad baculum, the wager expressly dictates that the prudency of belief is derived from that the believer is in a win-win situation, or at least, does not necessarily lose. If one realizes that the dichotomy is nonexistent, the argument is shattered. I wrote something on this a while back:

Believer: God Exists (wins)

Non-Believer: God Exists (loses)

Believer: God does not Exist (no loss)

Non-Believer: God does not Exist (no loss)

Now, Pascal's Wager can be compared to a lottery, where you cast your belief in God, in hopes that you strike the jackpot, or in this case, post-mortem vindication (the idea is so ridiculous I can scarcely believe I am talking about it). So, you cast your ticket. If the dichotomy above is taken, then your chance of winning if you cast your ticket (accept the wager), is one. This can be represented by f(x) (where the function of x is "number of winning outcomes) against x (the number of variables). Now, in the above case, if one casts the ticket, then their chance of winning becomes (1). The number of possible Gods introduced into this equation are only one: The Judeo-Christian one. Imputed into the one-off mutually exclusive probability function, where f(x)=1/x, then we get 1/1, which is one.

Once we starting adding more mutually exclusive loss factors into the function, we extend the x-axis accordingly, and the probability drops according to the asymptote. The idea is simple. Whilst x increases linearly, f(x) decreases exponentially (because the function is reciprocal). So, with three possible God factors, if x=3, f(x)=1/3. This is why an asymptote works. Let us consider a graph with points. Along the y-axis I plot the probability of winning as a function of x, f(x). On the x-axis, I plot the number of Gods being introduced into the equation. Since probabilities can only be represented as being between 0 (impossible) and 1 (certain), my y-axis will start at 0 and end at one. My x-axis will start at zero and continue where the domain of x is N, all natural numbers. You can sketch this graph yourself. What you will find occurring is that you start out at (1,1), which then drops sharply down to (2,1/2), which then drops to (3,1/3). So, the asymptote runs along the x-axis, and gets closer and closer to y=0. The larger x is, the closer the line runs to y=0. If you recall, y represents the probability of winning. Only if the line actually strikes the x-axis is y actually zero, but according to the asymptote, this is impossible. This is the foundation of Zeno’s Dichotomy Paradox, where a runner, to complete a certain distance, must run half it, and before doing that, must run half that, and before doing that, must run half that…and Zeno argued that an infinite number of infinitely small quantities of action required to complete the motion is impossible. This is where my proposition becomes quite interesting.

Invariably we find there is a technically infinite number of propositions pertaining to Gods that will threaten us with damnation, including, hence, an infinite number we haven't even considered. The proposition is wholly translatable, for we could apply to any proposition about a fire-and-brimstone deity, including an infinitude of such that we have not considered (what makes such propositions any different from ones we have considered?) But infinity is not really a quantity at all, so it becomes rather difficult to plot x=∞, therefore f(x)=1/∞. If a real-number asymptote looks like this:

http://www.biologie.de/w/images/7/77/Asymptote_f1.png

Then it does not mean much to speak of an "infinity function" asymptote since an asymptote, by definition extends infinitely close towards the x-axis (y=0), but continue infinitely, never reaching them, the steepness of the asymptote will depend on the 1/x. The further that x extends (ie the larger the x variable), the steeper the asymptote. It is therefore interesting to consider what happens if the asymptote extends infinitely far along the x-axis, and the closer to y=0 it becomes. On the other hand, we can consider that if a real-value asymptote derives infinitely close to zero for any non-zero x function, then an infinite-value asymptote would get close to the axes, or rather, after an infinite length across the axes, the line would cross 0. Rather than getting infinitely close to zero.

This concept can be represented using first-order differentiation, taking a real equation like f(x)=x^2 as an example:

mpq=f(x+h)-f(x)/(x+h)-x, which can be reduced to mpq=f(x+h)-f(x)/h

Where points p and q are points on the curve (y=x^2) and m represents the gradient. In this case then h represents the difference in y value (or height) between p and q, supposing that p can be represented by the points x1y1, and q as x2y2 then m=(y2-y1)/(x2-x1), which, presuming y=f(x) is functionally equivalent to: f(x+h)-f(x)/(x+h)-x

Now, as the h value of the function, where h represents the change along the x-axis tends towards zero, it approaches the true gradient of point p, where P and Q represent two points, which can be expressed as lim(h=>0)(f(x+h)-f(x)/h)), this limit is the first derivative, where y=f(x), we have already seen this expresses dy/dx, where d is the infinitesimal. If the limiting value is derived, we can establish the expression that regulates the gradient of y=f(x) at any point, since if a straight line graph has a single coefficient expressing m, where y=mx+c, a second-order function will have an expression governing the gradient which is denoted ax^n.

Consider a simple function, where f(x)=x^2, if dy/dx=lim(h=>0)( (f(x+h)-f(x)/h)), considering points P and Q along f(x)=x^2, then P=(x,x^2) and Q=(x+h, (x+h)^2 ), which is substituted into the equation such that: Dy/dx=lim(h=>0)(x+h)^2-x^2/h, which can be expanded to give (x^2+2xh+h^2-x^2)/h, which can be simplified to (2xh+h^2/h, which can be simplified to 2x+h therefore dy/dx=lim(h=>0)2x+h. If h=0 (which si the best approximation of the infinitemsal, since we have divided it into a non-expressible quantity), then we derive 2x.

In this case, we have made points P and Q on the graph infinitely close, as per first-order differentiation. The function h is supposed to tend toward zero as P and Q get closer together. Now, in this case, we are expressing the function f(x)=1/x. Which basically means that for however large the pool of possible butcher-Gods there are, the chance of you picking correctly is inversely proportional to the number of Gods there are. In this case, there are infinity possibilities so the x and y values are (∞,∞^-1) (let us ignore for a moment that infinity is not a number).

The purpose of the above was to show that we can arrive at zero, or an infinitesemal quantity, when we consider the distance between points P and Q on a graph to be infinitesmal, because the limit tends towards zero. This is the concept upon which integration and differentiation work. Both break up the area under the line or the line itself respectively into infinitesmal non-zero quantities which tend extremely close to zero (in fact, the concept of breaking up a line or its area into successively smaller distances/areas can be represented by an asymptote), so close to zero that the quantities can be disregarded. This is why calculus is the solution to Zeno's Paradox, because it divides units into very small but a finite amount of quantities. In this case, our situation is more interesting. x is actually infinity as opposed to just a very small infinitesimal. What this means that instead of the limit tending towards zero, it actually is zero. Your probability is winning is zero.

He  [Pascal] was trying to show, and in this he erred, that the believer is in a win-win situation. The believer is not in a win-win situation because his probability of winning is a function of the inverse of the number of Gods that might exist! Given the outcome if one picks incorrectly, at least. Consider a lottery in which if you win, you are awarded a large amount of money, and if you lose, you are executed. Considering your probability of winning is infinitesemally smaller than that of losing, nobody in their right minds would cast. An embarassing error for a mathematician like Pascal to make.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:Feel bad that

sierra wrote:

Feel bad that you all are missing out on such awesome blessings available to you in this life.

I realize you're trying to be nice, but, no.  All the "blessings" in my life have come directly from disobeying christianity.  Example - son from purposely screwing around while unmarried; freedom from fear for realizing the bible is just a book; etc.

sierra wrote:
Plus, if not for the grace of God, I could be in your shoes.

Then you would actually be responsible for your life instead of relying on some deity.  I realize that this is a scary thought, but its really not all that hard to get the hang of once you try.

sierra wrote:
Therefore, in kindness and gratefulness, I would like to share this story of love from a priest who spoke at our conference:

Again, I do realize you think you are trying to be nice, but get your motivations right.  You are trying to justify your belief.  You want agreement, and I imagine that the agreement of a declared atheist would be all the sweeter as you can then play the conqueror. 

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:Just got back

sierra wrote:
Just got back recently from another fantastic Catholic experience.

Hope you used protection...oh, wait.

sierra wrote:
Feel bad that you all are missing out on such awesome blessings available to you in this life.

Don't feel bad.  I got as far as confirmation before seeing the stained-glass lie for what it was.  You will appreciate the awesome blessings available in this life as soon as you stop holding out for the false rewards of the afterlife.

sierra wrote:

But for the grace of logic, I could still be catholic.

sierra wrote:

response is that you will find sinners in all walks of life, even the priesthood

sorry to say.

Sorry to say that I as an atheist -- with no fear of divine retribution -- have never committed crimes as despicable as the pedophile priests, who are supposed to be ordained by god.  One wonders what the point of believing is if it doesn't serve as a deterrent to immorality.  As far as the higher-ups who in the past have simply moved these molesters from one diocese to the next, it is clear that they're more concerned about keeping their hierarchy intact than stamping out the sin in their ranks.

I left the church.  You can too.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Which one of us has a closed

Which one of us has a closed mind?  I think that you and I are both humans, and both have the same emotions.  You think my life is less worthwhile than yours because I don't believe in your particular fairy tale.

For what it's worth, you bigot, my grandfather died about a decade ago.  I spent several hours with him on his deathbed.  We had a deeply moving, warm, profound, and loving experience, recalling all the things we had done together.  We told each other "I love you."  (By the way, this atheist has known for years that telling your loved ones how you feel is a good idea.  Didn't need god for that.)  When he got too tired to talk anymore, we said goodbye, and we knew exactly what it meant.  I still have an amazing mix of bittersweet emotions when I recall the event, and I wouldn't trade the memory for anything.

Let me make this as clear as possible.  You can take your pious, bigoted condescension and sell it to someone who fell off the turnip truck yesterday.  I for one don't need you telling me that my life is anything less than yours.  You don't know the first thing about me, and for you to suggest that you have any idea what kind of profound experiences I have or have not had is indescribably pompous and arrogant.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Plus, if not for the

Quote:

But for the grace of my own intelligence, I could be in yours.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Me god needs no other god.

Me god needs no other god. Don't be making a mockery and diminishing my wonderful awe, with some silly hocus pocus lame god. Hey, ever hear the words of the atheist jesus story dude?  "I and the cosmos (father ) are ONE!" Simple. Religion such as christianity is blasphemy, idol worship, so g-awe-d clueless, so very antichrist.

So sad, what that god of abe worship most often is. But hey, for some it is a beginning, to appreciating the awe. For some, Jesus can be a saving messenger, but for so many others it's a mental road block, as the church traditionally teaches idol worship. Geezz, YOU are the christ .... that was the the principal wise message of the atheistic jesus buddha.   

KiwiStu
KiwiStu's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still love you

Even though you want want me to feel bad that I'm missing out.

I still would love you to share the joy of being able to explain the universe, without resorting to the super-natural.  The universe is a truly wonderful place to live and enjoy.

In God I trust, all others bring data
BTW God, I think your excemption expired

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline

sierra wrote:

I feel sorry for you. It is sad.

Quote:
Feel bad that you all are missing out

I seriously doubt that.  

Quote:
on such awesome blessings available to you in this life.

But you know nothing about my life. I enjoy my life. I am thrilled to see the universe for what it is and I feel bad for you because you live in a fantasy.

Quote:

Your god whatever is totally imaginary.

Quote:
 Therefore, in kindness and gratefulness, I would like to share this story of love from a priest who spoke at our conference:

I consider your priest actually to be one of the patients trying to run the hospital (the 7th floor usually).

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
KiwiStu, Welcome to RRS,

KiwiStu, Welcome to RRS, lucky you, digging the awe!

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my shoes

Then you would never follow any god because of the ridiculous evidence that every religious follower and their holy books presents. As well you realize that the laws and rules of the catholic chruch are no different than any other religion prior to the catholic church. Not to judge others, to have compassion, to be good towards others....hey buddhism has the same rules and all of it doesn't require a belief in god (ok depends on the sect, but the origins of it does not require a god) and buddhism is 600 years younger than christianity. But hey you follow your beliefs. As for pascals wagers yeah you give 2 options your god or no god, except that's not the case, there is Allah, Mayan gods, Inca Gods, Native american Gods, Hindu Gods, Taoism, Buddhism, Judaism (if the jews are correct your fucked for idol worship and worshiping a false god as well....jesus will fuck you in the end in this senario) i mean we can go on and on and on with all the religions in the world. In the end it's no different no evidence for god, then I have no need to believe in one.

As for my life, it's full of love, friends and family, Joy and Happiness of waking up everyday not believing that this life is a test.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sofa king Rita did.

Sofa king Rita did.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I thought it was sofa king

I thought it was sofa king we tar did.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck   Right O,

latincanuck

Right O, amen

I AM one with the infinite eternal ( G awe D , Awe la )  If I AM wrong it is god of abe's problem and fault. Either way I AM off the hook for not knowing and therefore any judgment ..... Can I fool god, my very self?  Dumb ass, Pascal Wagner inverted !  ....  

sierra
Theist
User is offlineOffline
aiia

Quote:

Feel bad that you all are missing out

aiia wrote: 

"I seriously doubt that."

Well, its true! Not trying to win over atheists as some

sort of prize etc... as someone suggested. Just being

faithful to my beliefs in sharing truth, as required by my

own conscience and goodwill.

Sincerely mean well folks, no ulterior motives. Not looking

for a debate, sorry!

Regarding explanation of Pascals wager...the math was making me dizzy.

However, accepting God is fine in the Catholic faith, does not

matter if you are Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, etc. As long as

you are sincerely being obedient to truth by your own conscience,

knowledge of truth and understanding.  Basically, it is not a worry in the wager.

The reality is simple: I want to be with infinite love beyond

all comprehension forever. To reject that, in whatever capacity

is rejecting God. Pascals wager-simply choosing to accept God's

love forever. If I am wrong, I am at peace knowing that I will

not know I was wrong.

The win=I get to continue in God's love, no end to what I have already,

which was my point in the first place, namely that this choice is a glimpse

of heaven, and I wanted to share that truth. God's love, awesome!

Don't miss it for the world or your own proud intellect.

and even more awesome love after this life, which is really a blessing folks.

Wow, what a deal/wager! It's a can't lose proposition, and I can accept God's

love with childlike faith, not worrying if I have the right path, one God, easy

math. Amen! 

"if today you hear His voice, harden not your heart"

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
sierraI am on your side.

sierra

I am on your side. Your enemy is my enemy. I am atheist, me and god are ONE, as we and all are one.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Just got back recently

Quote:
Just got back recently from another fantastic Catholic experience

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If you should get caught, they'll just move you to another parish.

Quote:

The biggest blessing i've ever experienced was letting go of mindless dogma.

Quote:
Plus, if not for the grace of God, I could be in your shoes

You mean able to identify dogma, question it and NOT helpless to defend oneself against the all too common manipulation and coercion of religious marketing?

Quote:

sorry to say.

Sin is a stupid concept.

However, in the one profession where one should expect to find no (or at least the lowest concentration) of pedophiles, we find perhaps the greatest concentration ever.

And you as one who should (allegedly) exemplify the highest caliber of morality yet again display that christians have the least by making excuses for the many heinous crimes against children instead of apologizing for them. 

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I thought

MattShizzle wrote:
I thought it was sofa king we tar did.
So many variations, one single meaning.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

magilum
User is offlineOffline
You're cool, sierra. Your

You're cool, sierra. Your primitive gibbering makes me feel like a time traveler.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:Quote:Regarding

sierra wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Wow, what a deal/wager! It's a can't lose proposition

You received an honest and thorough refutation of Pascal's Wager.  That you would disco dance around this w/ such a petty excuse and try to replace it w/ game show verbage and an argument hardly fit for that of a 10 year old is a tragedy...in your words..."seriously". 

You clearly live by your emotions at the expense of intellect.  You are a salesman's/religious proselytizer's wet dream.

Quote:
I can accept God's

1.) You've just personified a "closed" mind.

2.) Children are easily manipulated.  If you love this planet, it's high time we did our best to become "adults".  "Childlike" humans will be the death of us all.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:Sincerely mean

sierra wrote:
Sincerely mean well folks, no ulterior motives.

You do know lying is a sin right? Eye-wink

Quote:
As long as you are sincerely being obedient to truth by your own conscience, knowledge of truth and understanding.

Ah, then I'll be ok, I am, after all sincerely being obedient to truth by my own conscience. Gods, naturally, are not part of that truth, but I have accepted that.

Quote:
The reality is simple: I want to be with infinite love beyond all comprehension forever.

Have you ever considered what "eternity" means? And how long "eternity" lasts? In the highly unlikely case you (or anybody) were to receive the "gift" of eternity, (s)he would, after a couple of trillions of years either lapse in utter stagnation or beg for oblivion. Eternity would be the worst kind of torture that could be inflicted upon any body or any soul: love becomes meaningless, knowledge becomes meaningless, hope becomes meaningless. Trapped in a prison of time, you would find no end to this torture: trillions of years are, after all, an infinitely small part of eternity.

So... "infinite love forever"? I'll pick oblivion over it any day. Which is cool, since "forever" is a fantasy, made up by humans who were too afraid of death to consider it, and mixed up "ought to be" with "is".

But today is most likely not the day for oblivion. Today is, most likely, a perfect day for a fantastic atheist experience, free from guilt and fear, and free to take the world exactly as it is. Seriously, I feel bad that you are missing out, Sierra.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:Not looking for

sierra wrote:

Not looking for a debate, sorry!

Not to be rude here: but if you don't want debate then never visit this site. It is that simple. Every thread turns into a debate. That is just the nature of forums in general and the nature of this one in particular. I you don't want to debate then don't visit atheist forums.

sierra wrote:

knowledge of truth and understanding.  Basically, it is not a worry in the wager.

What? I thought the Catholic Church's stance was that those who do not accept Jesus and become baptized are hellbound. You and that Catholic guy who tried to get me to believe in God need to get your stories straight. He made it clear that I was doomed to hell for not accepting Jesus and baptism. You say every religious believer (even Hindus and Muslims) get into Heaven. Which is it? If it is how you describe it, then I suppose you need to inform other Catholics of this. They seem to think it is the exact opposite.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Wow, what a

Quote:

Wow, what a deal/wager! It's a can't lose proposition, and I can accept God's

math. Amen!

Unless, of course, you are making a vindictive and capricious God which you do not worship angrier and angrier with your lack of acknowledgement of him and your instead turning towards the false Christian God.

Which was precisely the point being demonstrated. Which you ignored. Basic mutual exclusivity probability theory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Feel bad that you all

Quote:

You judgmental little twat you! How dare you presume on the basis of my atheism that I don't have recourse to inspirational and educational advice? How dare you presume that I would want to trade those experiences for that of yours?

When, as the guy in the video said, your invisible friend "ordered" you to love and "forbade" you to judge, did he add in the proviso "but you can skip the routine if you're talking to rational people who don't buy into the bullshit"?

Religion really warps ignorant fuckers' minds, doesn't it?

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:Regarding

sierra wrote:

Regarding explanation of Pascals wager...the math was making me dizzy...

...Wow, what a deal/wager! It's a can't lose proposition, and I can accept God's

math. Amen! 

Way back in my fundy days I was taught that Christianity was about choosing the difficult road because comitting sin was easier than resisting the temptation to do so.

It has since become apparent that Christianity (or any other religion for that matter) is in fact, the easy road. Your post reflects that. It is far easier to accept the made up answers than it is to understand & ask the correct questions.

Stop that... It's silly.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bigotry

It is the nature of a bigot to not recognize their own bigotry. They can justify their self righteous indignation through the faulty premise from which they operate. It staggers me how they never sem to realize how sanctimonious and condescending they are...let alone how insulting it is to people who dare beleive differently (or in this case, rationally).

Theists can out-bias a Klansman any day. Does Mr. Sierra go to Jewish or Muslim messageboards and suggest that *they* are also going to hell for not beleiving what he does? ...Because that is what his religion claims his loving god will do to people who don't beleive that Jesus was devine.

Might I offer, Mr. Sierra, that before you insult a group of people who beleive differently than you by suggesting that our lives are in any way deficiant...that you lose your limbs to diabetes, and roll onto the interstate.

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:Step outside

sierra wrote:

Step outside the box for

You are not going to understand this, but I was indoctrinated into this "most important thing ever" as a child.  So.  I guess you could say I have entertained it.  As I moved through the religion my parents believed, I could see through the transparencies...it contradicts itself left and right. Leaving this life was one of the most difficult things I've ever done, and I'm so glad to have done it...my life is fuller because of it.

A thinking person wonders:  Why would some god give us brains and then tell us not to think about anything?  Why would some god make everyone different and then tell one kind of person to make all others conform?  Why would some god have peoples all over the planet and have xtianity only in europe? (don't get snippy here...I'm talking about beginnings)

I could go on, but I don't really think you are going to read this.

The hypocritical nature of the judging of others (while stating out loud that only god can judge) made my stomach turn.  You, in this thread, judge all of us.  Fullness of life is not dependent on some god.  It depends solely on a person's actions, thoughts, and relationships. 

I, personally, like to have relationships with actual people...people that do not judge me, to be more specific.

I think you, Mr. Sierra, have missed the point.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline

sierra wrote:
Step outside the box for

It is impossible to "step out of the box". Specially not, when people don't realize it's there,and they think they're so much out of the box and everyone else are tightly closed in their small, intraboxal worlds. The best thing you can do is to realize, that it's there, know the limits of the box you're in. When you will be aware of them, then maybe you can do something with that, but not sooner.

sierra wrote:
Don't get it wrong, but we've got a plenty of our own experiences, and some of them are so awesome, that they're beyond of anyone else's imagination.

sierra wrote:
A perfection of a blessing is very relative. What is an awesome blessing for one, may be a slight cheer for others. Even worse. For Pentecostal christians, speaking in tongues is a blessing. For people who don't value being emotional as the highest virtue, it's a curse.
Let's say, that our hardcore livers needs a much stronger stuff than your dealer can provide. Like when hacker Case in Gibson's Neuromancer got his liver changed for some special, so he couldn't get high as he wanted, but he had to get some special, extra strong drug patches on a luxurious orbital station.
This would also explain why rational people builds orbital stations Smiling

sierra wrote:
God obviously has no intention of un-making us if we do or don't do something, because we are already here, so we should be here. An omniscient God surely had put a correct person to correct shoes and won't make any retrospective changes. And if God doesn't exist, then anyone else on in our shoes would take care of them just as well, so we could non-exist in peace, just as there already non-exists those who could be here instead of us.

sierra wrote:
Therefore,

It's nice you've got a good priest near, who doesn't sniff too much of brimstone. As a proverb says, to a pure person, everything is pure. Love-centered life can be expressed even in Christianity, when Old Testament isn't much emphasized. But I guess that local forum members has already their listening schedule full of Richard Dawkins. Who do I have in my listening schedule, can't tell.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:Regarding

sierra wrote:

knowledge of truth and understanding.  Basically, it is not a worry in the wager

Glad you had fun at daycare, sweetie.  I really am.  But the fact of the matter is that you're a shitty excuse for a Christian if you actually believe this.  For something like 1500 years (I don't believe in the Roman Catholic claim of Apostolic Succession, so add about four centuries to that for your own purposes) trumpeted to the world that it was the sole true spiritual authority on the Earth.  "No way to heaven but by me," was the official policy of pointy-hatted Italian prom queens for century upon century.

And now you come to us with this ecumenical bullshit.  It's weak.  You abandon your Bible, you abandon Augustine, you abandon Aquinas, but you keep your traditions, albeit without the Latin, and you really expect anybody to take you seriously?  I have an idea.  Why don't you tell your confessor, next time you meet up in the Magic Box of Forgiveness, that you think that everyone who's "obedient to the truth by [his] own conscience" is going to be okey-dokey with Big Sky Daddy in the End?  If he's cool with that, too, and everybody else all the way up the line to Ratzinger himself, then you might as well all become Animists or Muslims or Shintoists.  I much prefer fire-breathing Baptists to appeasement-minded milksops like you.  At least they've got the courage of their convictions.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:How sad it is

sierra wrote:
How sad it is that your hearts and minds are so closed.

Prove you have an open mind.

Quote:
Step outside the box for a few minutes people, try and entertain the idea that you may be missing out on the most important thing ever.

I am overwhelmed with remorse to inform you that it is you who is in a box, a church box, a community full of narrow-minded intolerant bigoted fearful ignorant cretinous hypocritic conceptualistic totalitarians. 

sierra wrote:
Not trying to win over atheists as some sort of prize etc... as someone suggested.

Riiiiiiiight...You're simply here to announce your phantasmagoric victory is all.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

sierra
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Catholic Church teaching on salvation outside the Church...

You were saying that I am wrong on Catholic Church teaching? 

Well, here it is from the Catholic Catechism on other religions

and salvation with belief in God, refuting your false arguments

on Pascals Wager. One God, easy math, don't have to worry

about picking the right one according to the Catholic Church

teaching, which is the Church Jesus Himself started. Mt. 16;18-19

"Outside the Church there is no salvation" (846-848)

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?  Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

Here is the link with more details on the issue: the Church and non-Christians:

http://www.catholicdoors.com/catechis/cat0781.htm#839

The truth is, if you really studied the Catholic Church teaching with an open mind and heart, as many scholars have,

you would discover the great blessing of truth, and the peace that comes in living in that truth.

sierra
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheist to Priest story

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:"Outside the

sierra wrote:

"Outside the Church there is no salvation" (846-848)

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?  Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

Acts 4:12, in reference to Jesus Christ.  Now shut the fuck up.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

magilum
User is offlineOffline
sierra

sierra wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhAyEZR4gUk

Father John Corapi

LOL. You're so weak.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Well, here it is from

Quote:

Well, here it is from the Catholic Catechism on other religions

and salvation with belief in God, refuting your false arguments

on Pascals Wager.

It doesn't refute anything. It is an assertion made by people unsubstantiated by any evidence (since none can exist).

If that to you represents refutation (look it up in a dictionary) then your mind is garbled, probably beyond repair. Given your obvious mental state you have a bloody cheek coming here claiming to be enlightening anybody about anything. What is it about you people? You have no respect for intelligence. You have no concept of rationality. Have you no shame either?

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:refuting your false

Quote:

refuting your false argumentson Pascals Wage

Unless, of course, you are still worshipping the wrong God and the wrong Church and the real, capricious and vindictive God is becoming angrier with you by day. This is very basic probability theory. What do I have to do get this simple concept through your incredible moronic and dense head? You can't reason in a circle by assuming that the teachings of the Catholic church are correct in order to vindicate your following of the Catholic Church's teaching.

Quote:

You were saying that I am wrong on Catholic Church teaching?

No, you idiot, I'm saying that according to the tweaked version of the wager, it is entirely possible that there does exist a God which you are not worshipping, but which does exist, who is capricious and will eternally damn you. Forget about the teachings of the church. That is not relevant, unless you are presuming that your God exists (which is circular). Look, I'll lay this out in the simplest possible manner:

1. According to Pascal's Wager, the believer is in a win-win situation

2. Pascal's argument is flawed because he did not take mutual exclusivity into account with respect to his argument.

3. According to the particular God (actually, the church) you subscribe to, it does not matter which God you follow, as your odds are conditional upon other factors. Obviously then the conditional for your odds to be win-win for a believer under this particular permutation is for this particular permutation to be correct.

4. Thus, if and only if the conditional for (3) to be true is also true, can we successfully ignore the mutual exclusivity in wagering

5. There is no reason to suppose that we can assign this permutation any higher a probability than the mutually exclusive permutations assigned to judgemental and capricious Gods who will damn you after you die.

6. Hence, there is no rational probabilistic argument for wagering on (3)

If I have to repeat this in simpler language, then you have the mental development of a small child.

-Me

Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Allow me to paraphrase for

Allow me to paraphrase for DG.

Your bet is only a safe bet if there are only two options.  That the specific god you think exists actually does exist and you are doing what it wants you to do to make it happy or nothing happens to you because that specific god does not exist.  No god exists.  You just pass away into oblivion.

The GLARING third possibility is that we are all wrong and we will all be punished for not doing the right thing by this hypothetical omniscient being that we are not aware actually does exist.  Be it Odin, Thor, Baal, etc.

Capisce?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hi, it's me god, as you are

Hi, it's me god, as you are god. To be alive, to be conscious, is to know fear, because life wants to go on and on, but without death life has no meaning, in this realm we exist. Why are so many so sorry to be alive and so full of fear that it dominates this brief life, and pollutes tranquility ? Religion ruins every good day. Why religion, when all is god, all is one ?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline

sierra wrote:

Just got back recently from another fantastic Catholic experience. Feel bad

that you all are missing out on such awesome blessings available to you in

this life. Plus, if not for the grace of God, I could be in your shoes. Therefore,

Seriously, I thought you were not supposed to judge us but that is exactly what you are doing.

1- You feel bad for us. Why? You don't know us, so how can you be judgmental about out choices.

2- Perhaps what you find as a blessing would seem like an Inquisition rack to most of us.

3- And again you are judging us by your standard, you could be in our shoes. Pleeeezze!!

sierra wrote:

Its a short one...only 4 minutes, but well worth it.

I also had an alcoholic father who my mother divorced. We still kept in touch until his early death from organ failure when he was 59. My sister and I always showed him love though we despised his choices. Your priest friend realized a little late about caring about people. It is a hard thing to do especially with a father that is a self centered drunk. Even in his talk about him your priest showed he had no understanding of alcoholism, he was weak, etc.

sierra wrote:

Great wisdom that will help you on this journey.

You really need to listen much closer to what your priest friend said in that video. He didn't show much wisdom by his statements.

sierra wrote:

sorry to say.

Sorry, I don't buy into the idea of a sinner for these actions by the pervert priests, they were unlawful, disgusting, outrageous, uncivilized, and cruel. Painting the picture any other way gives validation to the actions these self-centered evil monsters did to children. Hiding them from punishment as the Catholic Church has done is a crime as well. Those involved in the cover up should be charged with aiding and abetting after the fact.

sierra wrote:

No, you missed the point. How sad

it is that your hearts and minds are

so closed. Step outside the box for

Listen, I spent years studying theology and one thing you need to grasp is you continue to miss the point your man Jesus is said to have promoted. Don't judge people, it's not your job. You continue to make assumptions that we are some how lesser beings then people who accept the derived warped religion severely altered from the volcano god of Yahweh. You have no idea about us at all. Yes we reject your distorted derived religion that even the original Yahweh believers tell you is not true. We have good reasons to do so. It's not true. Use your mind not the warm fuzzy feeling you get from emotionalism.

You will have to find out for yourself someday that you are the one who has a closed mind, closed to reason and understanding. I see no point in beating on you over your beliefs in myths and legends, it will do no good. You are another one that is in a Matrix that thinks that he is eating steak, when in fact it is not real. Good Luck.

sierra wrote:

Well, its true! Not trying to win over atheists as some

sort of prize etc... as someone suggested. Just being

faithful to my beliefs in sharing truth, as required by my

own conscience and goodwill. 

Sincerely mean well folks, no ulterior motives. Not looking

for a debate, sorry!

Exactly what is it that motivated you to post the link about the priest and your "fantastic Catholic experience"? You thought it would do what, bring comments of gee maybe there is something to this Jesus thing. You are being deceitful to yourself if you think your reasons didn't include an attempt to influence atheists to reconsider their stance. Most of us here have been hard core Christians, some with advanced training. I understand you mean well from your perspective, but so too have others over the centuries including those of your Catholic faith.

Posting what you did to an atheist forum like this will always get you a debate and a challenge to your beliefs. In reading your other comments you are weak on the actual teaching of the Catholic Church. It's far more complicated than your simple explanation of who is part of the church. Perhaps you should listen to what Benedict has to say about it. You are quoting only the parts that make the Church look like it is conciliatory to disparate beliefs but seem to ignore the parts regarding heresy and false teaching.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

sierra
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Here is an indisputable response:

Let us pray together:

Haily Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed

is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners

now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
sierra wrote:Let us pray

sierra wrote:

Let us pray together:

Burmashave.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yes Yes Jesus , atheism

Yes Yes Jesus , atheism .....

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline

sierra wrote:
Let us pray together:
Now you're just trollin'.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Didn't that jesus say pray

Didn't that jesus say pray alone, as to mean meditate, which just means to think on your own ???  Hey , look in the mirror a long while .... what is there ???    Look at YOU  .....      

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a warped and arrogant

What a warped and arrogant little fucker. No redeeming feature whatsoever. And what a great advertisement for the absolute necessity to eliminate religion - it validates the most disgustingly vindictive, sanctimonious and ignorant behaviour in the minds of slimeballs to whom that kind of thing appeals.

One feels dirty just being in their company.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Let us pray the pimp's

Let us pray the pimp's prayer...

Lord pray for the soul of this bitch - and guide my pimp hand - so we can show a hoe her place.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Feeling 'not so fresh'? How about a douche?

sierra wrote:

Let us pray together:

First, I believe that can win you a nice little avatar image with a nice little crapping troll on it (mods?).

Second, I have always found it to be quite appalling that a person that does terrible things to others can simply quote this poem and be absolved of their quilt and such.  I venture to say they tend to repeat those deeds and just come back for a few more 'hail mary's'.  Pretty lame.  This mentality places all responsibility for ones actions squarely NOT on the actioner.  I'm in favor of actual personal responsibility.

Third, your condescension and goading are annoying and rediculous.  This is your personal invitation to go away.

Fourth, I don't think you know the definition of the word "indisputable".

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline

sierra wrote:

Let us pray together:

In the 30+ years I was a practicing Catholic I said this so many times to a dead or mythical person with the result of nothing, what is it you expect here? No thanks, go pray by yourself as your man Jesus taught.

I take this to mean you are cornered and frightened asking for help as you have no other defense. You know full well that your whole point in sharing was nothing but an attempt to proselytize and you have been deceitful in your response when confronted. If all you can do is run away to pray when called on your deception and not face reality you deserve that which you receive, nada.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.