UCF Student steals the body of Christ!

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
UCF Student steals the body of Christ!

From Fox news:

A student at the University of Central Florida claims his life — and afterlife — were threatened by enraged Catholics after he pocketed "the body of Christ" during a church ceremony, according to a report on myfoxorlando.com.

Webster Cook says he received death threats and eternal damnation after he removed a wafer of bread from his mouth during communion and smuggled it from the church in a Ziploc bag.

Click here for video.

Though Cook returned the wafer one week after the theft, outraged Catholics were unforgiving, according to WFTV.com.

“We don’t know 100 percent what Mr. Cook's motivation was,” Susan Fani, a spokeswoman with the local Catholic diocese, told myfoxorlando.com. “However, if anything were to qualify as a hate crime, to us this seems like this might be it.”

The UCF student leader said he stole the communion bread, known by Catholics as the Eucharist and believed to symbolize the body of Christ, to show to his non-Catholic friend

The video lays out the events better then this article. Apparently it is a 'misunderstanding' LOL

BRING ME BACK MY CHRIST!!

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't figure out who is

I can't figure out who is dumber...the kid who stole the wafer in a ziplock bag to show his non-catholic friend ("Hey Fred, look!  This here is teh Jesus!&quotEye-wink or the Catholics thinking that stealing a wafer equals a hatecrime...or the Catholics pissed off over the "theft" of a 1 inch cube of bread/flat piece of bread.  I would have hoped the kid would have been smart enough to test the bread in a lab to show once and for all that it is literally a piece of  bread and does not contain flesh.  I swear, Christians get dumber every week.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

“However, if anything were to qualify as a hate crime, to us this seems like this might be it.”

No. A hate crime would have involved shoving the wafer up the priest's ass, and scrawling a pentagram on his back with a pen knife along with the words "I Hate Catholics".

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Remarkable. Someone steals a

Remarkable. Someone steals a piece of flat bread, recieves death threats for it, and he's the one being labelled as having commited a hate crime by the people sending him death threats. It is as Rook says: Christians get dumber every week.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
umm you do realize

That these are the catholics, the ones with a million and one saints that they believe in as well that can heal and save you and make you rich beyond your wildest imagination if you just pray hard enough....and send money to (can I give my address out here? because I can help you catholics see the light....they just have to send 19.99) Laughing out loud

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote:cube of

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

cube of bread/flat piece of bread

Unleavened bread.

Quote:

The term unleavened breads can also refer to breads which are not prepared with leavening agents. These flatbreads holds special religious significance to adherents of Judaism and Christianity. Jews consume unleavened breads such as Matzo during Passover. They are also used in the Western Christan liturgy when Christians celebrate the Eucharist.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

PorkChop
Rational VIP!SuperfanSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
I don't know, but isn't

I don't know, but isn't everyone that takes these communions removing it from the church, too?...Like Canibal style?

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was raised in the Greek

I was raised in the Greek Catholic church, not the Roman rite (not until much later).  At my church, we received cubes of leavened bread.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
So it was soft?How odd. 

So it was soft?

How odd.  Baptists use unleavened bread where I grew up.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I've read that back in

I've read that back in mideval times the idea of this happening was terrifying to Catholics - they feared that Jews (or Moslems or anyone else they didn't like) would do something like this in order to torure Jesus - as they truly believed it was the body of Christ (as if chewing it wouldn't be painful to him were this so!) They actually made it a crime - "Host desecration." Throwing it down and pissing on it would be more shocking/funny.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...So Jesus was made out of

...So Jesus was made out of flatbread? And eating him is what he wanted?

/confused

iluvc2h5oh
iluvc2h5oh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dont konw...

how many of you grew up catholic...

But I really miss eating that bread...they are awesome...

kinda spongy, melt in your mouth crackers.....

"When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible, They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the Land and we had the Bible." - Jomo Kenyatta

PorkChop
User is offlineOffline
iluvc2h5oh wrote:But I

iluvc2h5oh wrote:

But I really miss eating that bread...they are awesome...

It was one of the things I looked forward to in church as a kid.  Like snack time or something!

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
PorkChop wrote:It was one of

PorkChop wrote:

It was one of the things I looked forward to in church as a kid.  Like snack time or something!

Yeah!  Me too.  It was such an interesting little ritual thing.

Why do us humans find ritualistic behaviour so interesting?

Kind of like having a secret handsake and shit.  In the Baptist churches you can't partake of the Lord's Supper until after you have accepted Jesus and been Baptised.  So it was like a sign that you were "part of the club".

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Can't you lie?

Can't you lie?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
What was amazing to me was

What was amazing to me was that you could not touch God/Jesus because he was 'holy'. Yet you could chew him up, you could vomit him up or turn him into shit in your intestines. I asked a priest about this when we studied the digestive system, how long does the bread remain Christ? He said one hour, which is why one could not eat within one hour of of taking communion. Apparently Jesus gets pissed off if you mix him with other food(who wouldn't), but water is OK.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What if you take laxatives

What if you take laxatives first?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Can't you

MattShizzle wrote:

Can't you lie?

Can you?

If you grew up in a church with the average weekly attendance of 30-45 people then it's pretty obvious to everyone who has and hasn't been "saved".

You live in a small town like I used to, Matt.

I was raised in a church that my family had attended for over a century.

Everyone practically knew every time I took a dump.  And that went for most everyone else.  I could have lined everyone one up and told you who had been baptised or not even at the age of 10 years old.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:What if

MattShizzle wrote:

Well I guess if Jesus does not spend at least an hour in your digestive system and you deficate him out your ass....

HOLY SHIT!!!

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Can't you

MattShizzle wrote:

Can't you lie?

Of course, you can lie.  That's what xtians do best!

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:MattShizzle

EXC wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Well I guess if Jesus does not spend at least an hour in your digestive system and you deficate him out your ass....

HOLY SHIT!!!

I prefer a shitty God.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:MattShizzle

Watcher wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Can't you lie?

Can you?

If you grew up in a church with the average weekly attendance of 30-45 people then it's pretty obvious to everyone who has and hasn't been "saved".

You live in a small town like I used to, Matt.

I was raised in a church that my family had attended for over a century.

Everyone practically knew every time I took a dump.  And that went for most everyone else.  I could have lined everyone one up and told you who had been baptised or not even at the age of 10 years old.

I was thinking if you were going to pull this sort of stunt to go a few towns over and say you were of the same church. Or if you did move go to the equivalent. I have a more evil mind than most people. There are 2 churches in my town, but they are pretty much the harmless type (one is a UCC the other something similar.) They have people go there but they don't bother those of us who don't. Funny thing is a few years ago one was struck by lightning.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:There are

MattShizzle wrote:

There are 2 churches in my town, but they are pretty much the harmless type (one is a UCC the other something similar.)

Your town has 800 people and only 2 churches?

My hometown had 750 people back then and 7 churches.

You immoral, heathen bastidges.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
What were we saying about

What were we saying about moderates and extremists? Take a bit of wafer away from a moderate and suddenly you are getting death threats! They are all so kooky.

Putting Jesus body in a plastic bag is a hate crime, but eating him is not? These bastards are nuts!

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
RRS activity

Holding the Eucharist hostage: the next RRS challange?

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL

I wonder what woulda happened if he'd fed it to a squirrel.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What happens if someone is

What happens if someone is sick and they puke when they eat it?

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I've read

MattShizzle wrote:

I've read that back in mideval times the idea of this happening was terrifying to Catholics - they feared that Jews (or Moslems or anyone else they didn't like) would do something like this in order to torure Jesus - as they truly believed it was the body of Christ (as if chewing it wouldn't be painful to him were this so!)

Hey,  but yeehaw errr,  I mean,  yahweh really gets off on sendin' all those sinners for the gnashing of teeth ritual, don't he ?  And since jesus has already endured, what could a few more teeth hurt ?

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like to buy my communion

I like to buy my communion wafers in bulk:

http://www.churchpartner.com/store/customer/cat-490.html

I tend to buy the gluten free since I am Jesus intolerant.  After a few handfuls I wait to transmute the wafers into holy shit and flush it down the communion throne whereupon the new Ewwwwchrist will go into the dark underworld and preach to the sinful used condoms and spent tampons which have felt the taint of sin.

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:What

MattShizzle wrote:

OK....now I'm recalling the opening moments of the movie starring Robert Duvall as Lt. Col. Bull in "The Ace", or as it was later titled, "The Great Santini".

Anyone else recall, the famous faked barf scene ???  Hee-hee

Get them spoons ready !

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I remember a story a few

I remember a story a few years back where there was a girl who couldn't eat gluten without getting very sick and they wouldn't allow her to substitute gluten-free. I wonder what they do about the wine with recovering alcoholics or people with liver disease that can't drink...

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I remember

MattShizzle wrote:

I remember a story a few years back where there was a girl who couldn't eat gluten without getting very sick and they wouldn't allow her to substitute gluten-free. I wonder what they do about the wine with recovering alcoholics or people with liver disease that can't drink...

They serve grape juice for those who don't wish to consume alcohol.

PorkChop
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote:I tend to buy

D-cubed wrote:

I tend to buy the gluten free since I am Jesus intolerant. 

THAT is hilARious!

D-cubed wrote:

After a few handfuls I wait to transmute the wafers into holy shit and flush it down the communion throne whereupon the new Ewwwwchrist will go into the dark underworld and preach to the sinful used condoms and spent tampons which have felt the taint of sin.

Like Mr. Hanky?

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote:I tend to buy

D-cubed wrote:

I tend to buy the gluten free since I am Jesus intolerant. 

Always check for the warning... May contain traces of nuts, Jesus and Jesus nuts.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
Awareness of stupidity

Rook_Hawkins wrote:
I swear, Christians get dumber every week.

I would like to offer an alternative explanation for your feelings: I think it is your awareness of their stupidity that grows with every week.  Although, there is something to be said about continuing to believe in this stuff in a world where our scientific knowledge grows every minute.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I remember

MattShizzle wrote:

They give you a choice: body(wafer) or blood(wine). Catholic doctrine(Greek Orthodox as well, IIR) states that receiving either is the same as receiving both. This is signified by the little piece of wafer that the priest drops into the chalice during the consecration. The Greek Orthodox(again, IIR) offer both species on a spoon, so I'm not sure what they would do. But the Catholics would just offer one or the other, depending on what your particular problem was. I don't if the issue of both allergies has ever come up.

The various Protestant churches have beliefs all over the map, from being almost Catholic in terms of practice to allowing Pepsi and soda crackers(and I even recall, pizza, in one extreme case).

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
If Jesus' blood became Pepsi

If Jesus' blood became Pepsi wouldn't that kill him again from all the carbonation in his circulatory system?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
So what happens when the

So what happens when the Jesus wafers go stale and inedible?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Jesus' body goes in the

Jesus' body goes in the trash.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:So what

jcgadfly wrote:

So what happens when the Jesus wafers go stale and inedible?

You eat them anyway Smiling I've had more than a few which weren't exactly fresh tasting. If there is some actual defect(mold, fell down and got stepped on, etc), then they either put it in a place to rot(once it loses the appearance of bread, it's no longer considered Christ's flesh, which is also what digestion falls under) or, I think they can be buried under some circumstances. But they usually only consecrate enough for that Mass, with a few left over for adoration(putting up the host in a special container for people to pray to) or to be distributed to the home-bound. I remember spending hours in front of a piece of bread, praying for faith. I guess it didn't work Smiling

Unconsecrated hosts(as they are called) require no particular veneration, and can be thrown out at will.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Wow. I had no idea they

Wow. I had no idea they actually prayed to the cracker. That is, as Dawkins says, "barking mad." That's funny about circumstances - "Dude, you just stepped on Jesus and crushed him!" Then they let him rot! If someone grabbed the cracker and shoved it up their ass would that warrant excommunication? Burying a cracker is also funny. Do they have a funeral?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:...So

Kevin R Brown wrote:

...So Jesus was made out of flatbread? And eating him is what he wanted?

Well, there was some confusion over dinner when Jesus said to Mary Magdalene, "Yo, my cutie with a bootie. Eat me."

So we end up with millions of people with a bread fetish.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Wow. I had

MattShizzle wrote:

Wow. I had no idea they actually prayed to the cracker. That is, as Dawkins says, "barking mad." That's funny about circumstances - "Dude, you just stepped on Jesus and crushed him!" Then they let him rot! If someone grabbed the cracker and shoved it up their ass would that warrant excommunication? Burying a cracker is also funny. Do they have a funeral?

They would excommunicate someone who desecrated a host. Here's a website on the practice: http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/pea/a2.html

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Hmmmmm can you say the "Get

Hmmmmm can you say the "Get Excommunicated Challenge" for anyone who is still technically Catholic? I do remember a member on here a while back mentioning he got excommunicated for spitting out the host right in front of the bishop.

Balrogoz
User is offlineOffline
 Maybe he just wanted to

Maybe he just wanted to settle the debate over transubstantiation?  You'd think the catholics would be more greatful.. sheesh.

If I have gained anything by damning myself, it is that I no longer have anything to fear. - JP Sartre

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The Non-prophets podcast

The Non-prophets podcast just issued the "Eucharist challenge" comparing it to the Blasphemy Challenge - though they don't expect it to be as succesful - to send them a eucharist wafer. PZ Meyers also asked something similar. They said maybe put enough of them together to make a Jesus voodoo doll! Or maybe put him back together.

*** EDIT ***

They also mentioned it's official church policy that if someone tries something like this people are to physically restrain them and take the cracker away from them. That's assault!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Webster Cook (the student

Webster Cook (the student who kidnapped Jesus) was a guest on the latest episode of Freethought Radio.

He actually was told outside the room (which wasn't in a church - it was in the Student Union building of a State University - not an appropriate place to be doing this anyway) why they won't let people take the host home. Apparently they're worried it could be used for black magic or witchcraft. Pure fucking lunacy out of the 16th century.

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline

MattShizzle wrote:

Haha, this reminds me of when I had a cold or something and vomited horribly in the middle of chapel when I was in first grade. Everyone's head was bowed, the pastor was praying, and then hehe.

I hadn't taken communion at that point though. In the Lutheran church, you are baptized as a baby by your parents, but apparently that's not good enough. You have to confirm your parents' decision when you are old enough (usually about age 13 or 14) by getting confirmed. Only then are you eligible for communion. I went through the whole tedious process, which was sort of like a year-long class, with assigned bible readings and worksheets and memorization for homework, just for some lousy bread and grape juice. Anyone want to hear the apostles' creed?

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
Its worse than that. The

Its worse than that. The student has been impeached from the Senate over it.

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline

MattShizzle wrote:

then gawd is punishing them with Celiac Disease for being a persistent heretic

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back

Kay Cat
Superfan
Kay Cat's picture
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote:MattShizzle

D-cubed wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

They serve grape juice for those who don't wish to consume alcohol.

not really, they either send you to the penguins if you're  vaginally endowed or make you take a score of the Mysteries on the rosary if you aren't.

Vote for McCain... www.therealmccain.com ...and he'll bring Jesus back