Well I haven't heard this one before

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I haven't heard this one before

I usually limit my Youtube account to making videos about the Sims. Occasionally I make videos about atheism. I do my best to limit them to under 6 minutes and try to get to the point as quickly as possible because talking head videos are boring as hell to watch. One might as well just make a forum post if you just going to talk into a webcam. Anyways, I was surprised to discover that someone actually made a response to a video I made. I made my video as a response to a wiccan who was responding to an atheist, Captain Awesome. Captain Awesome made a funny little video calling wiccans emos and goths and I think he also threw a budweisser at them or something. He wasn't taking it seriously, but a Wiccan, goddess neo certainly did. My video was a response to her claim that she had never seen a serious rebuttle to wicca. That was more than a year ago.

So this guy made a video response to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHgcXdDBpP0&watch_response

Honestly, I thought I had heard them all but this guys objection to me was that QUANTUM PHYSICS™ and STRING THEORY™ have shown that it is possible for an intelligent being to artificially create a universe by shoving two membranes together, perhaps using sufficiently advanced technology. Now, Physics is not my field, and certainly string theory is not. Can someone who is familiar confirm this is true?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
nuts

Can I use the words   wishy-washy here?   I heard half his video and got board, so was he I am sure.  Agnostics are fence sitters as far as I am concerned and  should be avoided untill they make up their minds.       please note the number of times he claims god is a 50/50 proposition, I lost count. Yet he claimed the video was done to clarify something;  Not sure what. Then  note the number of times he looks to his left to clarify a statement with an unknown other person,  I doubt if he is useing his own words,   what is he clarifying? 

I love his quote  "....The N-factor when it is finally established."  What does that mean exactly; perhaps "...in five years I am maybe right or no one will remember what an asshole I made of myself today."

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:     

Jeffrick wrote:

Can I use the words   wishy-washy here?   I heard half his video and got board, so was he I am sure.  Agnostics are fence sitters as far as I am concerned and  should be avoided untill they make up their minds.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Please note the number of times he claims god is a 50/50 proposition, I lost count. Yet he claimed the video was done to clarify something;  Not sure what. Then  note the number of times he looks to his left to clarify a statement with an unknown other person,  I doubt if he is useing his own words,   what is he clarifying?  

I love his quote  "....The N-factor when it is finally established."  What does that mean exactly; perhaps "...in five years I am maybe right or no one will remember what an asshole I made of myself today."

I was trying to correct the post and somehow double did it, sorry gang. Watcher where art thou-ist?????????

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fire wrote:Honestly, I

Fire wrote:

Honestly, I thought I had heard them all but this guys objection to me was that QUANTUM PHYSICS™ and STRING THEORY™ have shown that it is possible for an intelligent being to artificially create a universe by shoving two membranes together, perhaps using sufficiently advanced technology. Now, Physics is not my field, and certainly string theory is not. Can someone who is familiar confirm this is true?

I like the (TM). That is just about perfect.

Basically, it sounds like he's watched too much Star Trek. After that, though, string theory is not a theory; it's an hypothesis that cannot be tested at this time. And there're multiple flavors of string theory, because it turns out the original idea of string theory as an elegant model for quantum mechanics turned out to be wrong -- string theory has gotten so complex, a lot of physicists believe it's time to admit that it's wrong, and move on.

Though we couldn't tell if the universe was made using Mega-STRING THEORY™++ 2000 Millennium Edition Pro Gold, we couldn't tell if the universe was made by a Golden Semolina Machine run by the Most Pasta-riffic FSM, either.

That is, it's all just making shit up.

Finally, how's this supposed to support Wiccans? How's it supposed to support anything? It's merely one more set of suppositions that adds complexity to the universe without answering any questions at all.

I'm really annoyed that QM and string theory have become the new Gap in which God resides. Why does everyone suppose that our ignorance necessitates a God? I guess God is really just a reflection of our ignorance, isn't he?

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Wonko
Wonko's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:I like

nigelTheBold wrote:

I like the (TM). That is just about perfect.

Basically, it sounds like he's watched too much Star Trek. After that, though, string theory is not a theory; it's an hypothesis that cannot be tested at this time. And there're multiple flavors of string theory, because it turns out the original idea of string theory as an elegant model for quantum mechanics turned out to be wrong -- string theory has gotten so complex, a lot of physicists believe it's time to admit that it's wrong, and move on.

Though we couldn't tell if the universe was made using Mega-STRING THEORY™++ 2000 Millennium Edition Pro Gold, we couldn't tell if the universe was made by a Golden Semolina Machine run by the Most Pasta-riffic FSM, either.

That is, it's all just making shit up.

Finally, how's this supposed to support Wiccans? How's it supposed to support anything? It's merely one more set of suppositions that adds complexity to the universe without answering any questions at all.

I'm really annoyed that QM and string theory have become the new Gap in which God resides. Why does everyone suppose that our ignorance necessitates a God? I guess God is really just a reflection of our ignorance, isn't he?

Yeah..... I would never think of letting my ignorance run loose through a barber shop. Too many damn mirrors.

And what the hell is Mr. Spock chewing on.... or maybe its Start Wars instead of Trek and he's Chew-bacca. Annoying stuttering drivel.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think you would have to

I think you would have to condense matter to planck length, but it could be possible to create a Black Hole which could bud off another universe.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
fire wrote:Honestly, I

fire wrote:

He's referring to brane cosmology, which is a real hypothesis, but suggesting on it that a universe could be artificially created by some sentiently caused collision of parallel universes is enormously speculative and extraneous at this point. As Nigel said, brane embedded universes are quite simply enough presently untestable conjecture for one round, in and of themselves.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Occam's Razor. It slices, it

Occam's Razor. It slices, it dices. Even after cutting through 30,000 theistic gods, it's still sharp enough to slice through a deistic god without any resistance. If we can't know anything about this god, and it makes no difference if such a god exists or not, then the more parsimonious theory is to reject the god assumption.

Not knowing is not evidence for anything. He calls it a 50/50 shot, and even that is not known. It may be 10/90 or 99/1. He has no basis for prefering 50/50 over any other distribution. The only reasonable response is to invoke Occam's Razor. Why assume a god when the universe works just fine without one?

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!