Get rid of all monuments! [YOU RESPOND]

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Get rid of all monuments! [YOU RESPOND]

BobTheMidget sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

here is a thought... doesn't matter if the old laws apply today.. its the
thought behind them.. why do you we spend millions a year on restoring old
buildings... why put a monument up for the people of Vietnam? why build a
new building where the Twin Towers stood? well here you go the ten
commandments are actually whether true or false depending on your belief
system are a symbol whether we live by them or not is a different story...
but I'm sure you will not see it that way, but while you protest these
things why not protest all monuments.. lets get rid of Abraham Lincoln he
reminds me of slavery so lets tear it down

HeyZeusCreaseToe
Superfan
HeyZeusCreaseToe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dumb

Making a shrine to remember the soldiers who died in Vietnam, or the people that died in the 911 attacks in no way is comparable to erecting stone tablets only relating to specific instructions by a Judeo-Christian God. The tablets message were supposedly created by a one-true God, and in the first sentence in those tablets states a divine-dictatorship over humanity. These are not all rules to live by that any man of any creed can embrace. Just check out a few.

I am the Lord your God

You shall have no other gods before me

You shall not make for yourself an idol

You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God

Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy

These are prescriptions that codify rules to live by, for which the penalty of disobedience is death. If you really cannot see the difference for remembering and revering those who have died in tragedy and wartime versus a few Old Testament verses that describe the imperatives of faithful believers of two religions then you have truly distorted your reality to a terrifying degree.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobTheMidget

BobTheMidget wrote:

BobTheMidget sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

here is a thought... doesn't matter if the old laws apply today..

They don't.

BobTheMidget wrote:

its the
thought behind them..

Not much thought.  Not good thought.

BobTheMidget wrote:

why do you we spend millions a year on restoring old
buildings...

Because once restored, they can be put to good use.

BobTheMidget wrote:
why put a monument up for the people of Vietnam? why build a
new building where the Twin Towers stood? well here you go the ten
commandments are actually whether true or false depending on your belief
system are a symbol whether we live by them or not is a different story...

We have a Vietnam Veterans memorial (not sure about a "people of Vietnam" memorial), out of respect for the soldiers who lost their lives -- a monument to their service.  The land on which the Towers stood is some of the choicest real estate in the country; beyond this commercial impetus, building anew is a message to the terrorists (the er, religious terrorists) that we are still going strong -- a monument to human perseverance.

The ten commandments are a monument to human ignorance.  At any rate, as religious symbols, they have no place in a courthouse or any other government building. 

BobTheMidget wrote:

but I'm sure you will not see it that way, but while you protest these
things why not protest all monuments.. lets get rid of Abraham Lincoln he
reminds me of slavery so lets tear it down

Lincoln should remind you of the emancipation of slavery.  The bible should remind you of its institution.  And I'm all for tearing that down (or up, as it were).

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Doesn't this fucktard get

Doesn't this fucktard get that those monuments are to real people who actually died rather than a list of rules in a particularly bad fairy tale? Why should anyone want these posted since even people that believe this shit should know this is a graven image and therefore violates the 2nd commandment! Besides which, nobody is worshipping Abraham Lincoln, the victims of 9/11 or the soldiers who were in Vietnam (at least not anyone who isn't completely insane.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I didn't even see that

I didn't even see that Abraham Lincoln reminds him of slavery! I'd hate to see what your grades in history were! Does Martin Luther King remind you of racism? Does Hitler remind you of tolerance? Was this just a particularly ignorant statement (along with several others in your email) or did you come from a bizzarro parallel world?

By the way, you can't get rid of Abraham Lincoln. John Wilkes Booth already did that 143 years ago.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder why emails like

I wonder why emails like this so often have poor grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

And they argue there's no correlation between education and religious fanatacism? 

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you want to build

If you want to build monuments to your fictional being, BE OUR GUEST!

The monuments OUR GOVERNMENT pay for are not there to promote the Christian God over all others. It is called "separation of Church and State"

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me" that alone being on government property is a direct violation of the First Amendment, which protects FREEDOM OF RELIGION, via "establishment clause", which means I can believe in other gods or no god at all. Our government cannot play favorites to one religion over another.

Monuments to presidents or war vets are not biblically based and therefore do not violate the First Amendment of government promoting one religion over another.

If you want a monument to your fictional being, you can, but do it on property that not owned by the tax payers.

If you understood the difference between public sector and private sector you would know that "PRIVATE" does not mean out of view. It merely means not aided by the government.

A Church lawn next to a public street is PRIVATE PROPERTY. A billboard next to a public highway is on private property and is privately owned. The newspapers you read, the TV stations you watch, besides PBS, are all non-government media.

|If you have any doubts about your freedom of speech look up Churches in the phone book. Do a google search of Christian websites. Turn your TV on Sunday morning. ALL THAT IS PRIVATELY OWNED and viewed by the public without aid of government.

We should remember the Jews in the Holocaust, we should also remember what European invaders did to the native Americans in taking over North America. We should remember the 3,000 people murdered on 9/11. We should remember the brave men and women who fight for our freedom.

BUT you should remember that not every citizen in this country believes in your god, nor do they have to. So any monument we place on public property and use tax payers dollars to do such should be neutral.

No one is, nor should they, stop you from erecting the 1O commandments on your own property with your own resources. But don't think for a second that Christians are sole owners of OUR constitution.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog