Hello I am new here... studying atheism

Weather
Weather's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello I am new here... studying atheism

Hi all,

My name is Weather (not real) and I am a 27 year old from Grand Rapids, Michigan. I was taking the RCIA classes at my local Catholic church and was studying Haitian Vodou but decided that it wasn't for me. I have been studying atheism for about 4 months now and have decided to try the "atheist glasses" and so far have found it to be more freeing and sensible.

No deities to bow down to, no rituals to observe, no parsing through things such as dreams to interpret what the "spirits" want from me. I am still struggling with my "spiritual" side and wrestling with it as it is something that I have known all of my life and this whole new perspective is somewhat foreign to me.

I hope that I get to know some good people on here who will be supportive and friendly.

Peace,

Weather

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle. Keep

Welcome to the hizzle. Keep being rational, it truly does make things better.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't be an atheist because

Don't be an atheist because it's 'easy'. Be an atheist because it makes sense, seems logical, and for the free doughnut saturdays.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: No deities to bow

Quote:
No deities to bow down to, no rituals to observe, no parsing through things such as dreams to interpret what the "spirits" want from me. I am still struggling with my "spiritual" side and wrestling with it as it is something that I have known all of my life and this whole new perspective is somewhat foreign to me.

It's sometimes a huge paradigm shift, and believe me, it can take years to deprogram yourself.  That's one of the reasons this site is here.  If you're having problems with the remnants of theism crowding out your logic circuits, it's very helpful to be able to talk to others who have been through it.

There are TONS of resources here.  Check out the book pages.  If science is your thing, read deludedgod's works.  Todangst is fantastic with philosophy and logic.  I like to think I'm not too shabby myself, and I have a few pages about critical thinking and debate.  Rook is the guy for biblical history, Jesus mythicism, and all things ancient.  I don't want to offend anyone by not mentioning them, but I'm pointing out the more prolific writers.  We have many, many members who are very smart!

Quote:
I hope that I get to know some good people on here who will be supportive and friendly.

There are plenty!  It's all about open mindedness and respect. 

Welcome!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Cernunnos
Cernunnos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Weather, I think I may

Hi Weather,

I think I may have seen you make some comments on the site Atheist Nation about Dawkins' latest documentary, Enemies of Reason (as I was watching it). If it was you I enjoyed the discussion!

Coincidence? Eye-wink  

Welcome. 

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.

AlphaAndOmega
Theist
AlphaAndOmega's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course it seems easier -

Of course it seems easier - however, this feeling comes from change, not the actual experience, and unfortunatly it doesn't last long.

Weather
Weather's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cernunnos wrote: Hi

Cernunnos wrote:

Hi Weather,

I think I may have seen you make some comments on the site Atheist Nation about Dawkins' latest documentary, Enemies of Reason (as I was watching it). If it was you I enjoyed the discussion!

Coincidence? Eye-wink

Welcome.

Yes, Cernunnos I am the one and only Weather, Our Lady of the Hurricanes... I don't remember making a post about Enemies of Reason so I will have to go back and look.

Weather 

Cernunnos
Cernunnos's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was not a post...it was

It was not a post...it was in the shoutbox (?) under the video. I ended up following the discussion as it was about what I was watching.

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Weather wrote: Cernunnos

Weather wrote:
Cernunnos wrote:

Hi Weather,

Coincidence? Eye-wink

Welcome.

Yes, Cernunnos I am the one and only Weather, Our Lady of the Hurricanes... I don't remember making a post about Enemies of Reason so I will have to go back and look.

Weather

Glad to meet you, should I bring my umbrella tomorrow? 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, Weather!

CrimsonEdge wrote:
Don't be an atheist because it's 'easy'. Be an atheist because it makes sense, seems logical, and for the free doughnut saturdays.

This forum is all about learning, rational thought and some humor, too.  There are plenty of resources and many of the members are quite knowledgeable about many things.

We hope you find what you're looking for. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Weather
Weather's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: Weather

todangst wrote:
Weather wrote:
Cernunnos wrote:

Hi Weather,

Coincidence? Eye-wink

Welcome.

Weather

Glad to meet you, should I bring my umbrella tomorrow?

Eh, I don't know... lol I haven't checked the weather (bad girl!!)

Nice to meet you as well 

Weather
Weather's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cernunnos wrote: It was not

Cernunnos wrote:
It was not a post...it was in the shoutbox (?) under the video. I ended up following the discussion as it was about what I was watching.

I see... I did find EoR interesting... I still have a remenant of belief in some of that New Agey stuff, but in viewing it retrospectively, crystals never worked for me. Laughing

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Just remember Atheism is

Just remember Atheism is NOT a believe system in itself.

There are plenty of people here who strongly believe religion is dangerous and corrupting to society but that is something else from atheism.

Everyone single human being is born an atheist (its the default position)