Atheist Camp

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Camp

Read the article here

This is a camp for kids in atheist families.  Although philosophical discussions are part of the typical camp activities, the director claims there is no indoctrination.  

Curious what parents in the forums think of this.   Does it strike anyone as a different version of our beloved "Jesus Camp"?

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think its a sad

I think its a sad commentary on America that there NEEDS to be an atheist camp.

I mean, wouldn't it just be great if atheist and theist alike could go to a camp to, I dunno, enjoy being a kid in the outdoors?  

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I mean, wouldn't it

Quote:
I mean, wouldn't it just be great if atheist and theist alike could go to a camp to, I dunno, enjoy being a kid in the outdoors? 

I think they can't do that.  Somebody could get hurt on the monkey bars, and there'd be a lawsuit.

Are you allowed to say monkey bars?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL Hamby This may astonish

LOL Hamby

This may astonish you, but litigation is essentially banned here.  The judge panel will  simply throw it out 99% of the time.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Rave
User is offlineOffline
Camp Quest has been around

Camp Quest has been around for more than 10 years now. From what I know it's very different from bible camps. Rather than a 'camp for atheists' it's a camp that includes sceptical and freethought activities in addition to the regular outdoors activities.

"This is the real world, stupid." - Charlie Brooker

"It is necessary to be bold. Some people can be reasoned into sense, and others must be shocked into it. Say a bold thing that will stagger them, and they will begin to think." - Thomas Paine

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anytime people converge and

Anytime people converge and convene over a set of beliefs, they fall into certain behavior patterns.  It's just the way we are as human beings.  Even though the content is obviously different, this is essentially the same thing as a Christian camp. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
If the Boy Scouts weren't

If the Boy Scouts weren't bigots, this wouldn't be needed.