New virus discovered. You're probably infected. But it's ok.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
New virus discovered. You're probably infected. But it's ok.

Newly discovered gut virus lives in half the world's population

Date:
July 24, 2014

Source:
San Diego State University

Summary:
Odds are, there's a virus living inside your gut that has gone undetected by scientists for decades. A new study has found that more than half the world's population is host to a newly described virus, named crAssphage, which infects one of the most common gut bacterial species, Bacteroides. This bacterium thought to be connected with obesity, diabetes and other gut-related diseases.

Exerpt:
This was a new virus that about half the sampled people had in their bodies that nobody knew about.
"It's not unusual to go looking for a novel virus and find one," Edwards said. "But it's very unusual to find one that so many people have in common. The fact that it's flown under the radar for so long is very strange."

The fact that it's so widespread indicates that it probably isn't a particularly young virus, either.
"We've basically found it in every population we've looked at," Edwards said. "As far as we can tell, it's as old as humans are."

Full Article/Source:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140724094214.htm

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I bet I have it. Can we

I bet I have it. Can we kill it off? Maybe I'll lose my belly.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder

I wonder if straight up Vodka can kill it ? LOL. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote: I

harleysportster wrote:

Believe it or not, I had this goofy ignorant CEO who ate raw sausage one time. He was worried about the pork so he drank a fifth of whiskey.

When he came in to work he was drunk and called me to his office to ask if the whiskey would kill trichinosis.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes & no up date!

digitalbeachbum wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Believe it or not, I had this goofy ignorant CEO who ate raw sausage one time. He was worried about the pork so he drank a fifth of whiskey.

When he came in to work he was drunk and called me to his office to ask if the whiskey would kill trichinosis.

Simple logic says yessss! Alcohal does kill germs, our third grade science teacher was right. BUT!!!!! drinking also makes your natural immune system drunk and useless; overall your still sick and you've got a hangover to boot. Though a shot of brandy helps the medicine go down 2 shots or more negates the effect. So don't drink when your sick, you just get sicker.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

ROFLMAO ! 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno