Pope concerned with Syria's Christian minorities. Nice, but what about the other minorities.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15762
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Pope concerned with Syria's Christian minorities. Nice, but what about the other minorities.

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1303783.htm

 

Hey Pope what about these guys?

 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Syrian-Atheists/363191530386710

 

How nice of you Pope to say "We need to put abortion and gays on the back burner" but yet it is ok for you to get friendly with a KGB thug who puts laws in place discriminating against gays.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:but yet it is

Brian37 wrote:

but yet it is ok for you to get friendly with a KGB thug who puts laws in place discriminating against gays.

 

 

But there are some people that seem to think that overall, Putin has been good for Russia and is more than a "KGB Thug"

Talk to many Russians and they’ll tell you that life under Putin is vastly better than under Boris Yeltsin. Yeltsin let a handful of oligarchs hoover up Russia’s wealth while ordinary Russians were reduced to selling their possessions on the street.

http://www.intelligencesquared.com/events/putin-good-for-russia/

Vladimir Putin: an increasingly attractive political leader

Senator McCain is wrong – Putin was right to prevent an attack on Syria. I am beginning to envy the Russians

 

The fact is, Putin was right about Syria. Far from being an enemy of the oppressed, he saw from the start that the policy likely to spill the least innocent blood was to prop up President Assad's government against the jihadist forces arrayed against him.

Above all, it was necessary to prevent another foolish Western military intervention that would set off the kind of mayhem that continues in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.



Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/55195/vladimir-putin-increasingly-attractive-political-leader#ixzz2lfqnOnwv

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Putin > Obama

Putin > Obama

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15762
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Putin >

Vastet wrote:
Putin > Obama

 

Ok? Supports gays, doesn't want another war with Iran. Got it.

 

Putin, supports homophobic laws, and sides with China on most UN issues.

 

Seriously, if Russia is a utopia to you, move there.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4198
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Seriously,

Brian37 wrote:

 

Seriously, if Russia is a utopia to you, move there.

 

 

yeah, do it, dude.  i moved to slovakia and never looked back.  fuck america.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4198
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
ohhhhh, but that's right,

ohhhhh, but that's right, vastet's in canada.  which i'd also sooner move to than return to the land of my birth.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Putin is actually popular

But check these out :

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/07/why-putin-is-still-so-popular-in-russia/278032/

Why Putin Is Still so Popular in Russia

Russians seem to prefer a strong, authoritarian state to the weak government and economic chaos they experienced under Yeltsin.There are many freedoms in Russia despite the obvious imperfections of its democracy. One of the most important features which is still lacking as a key to escaping this historic cycle is a genuine rule of law. Russia has never enjoyed this privilege. At one time Putin appeared to be constructing it. Worryingly, that project appears to have been stalledHowever, his authoritarianism has been aimed in the direction of constructing a viable state, not only from the Soviet rubble but from the dissolution of central authority and economic meltdown promoted by Yeltsin. The dangers of over-centralizing are obvious, and the process is far from over. The situation needs to be watched carefully, but the full complexity with which Putin is dealing needs to be taken into account.http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=130325

Putin Popular Despite Tight Control

M O S C O W, May 25 At times, Russian President Vladimir Putin's enormous popularity seems to catch even him by surprise.

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Putin's Meeting with the Pope

Then there is this factor :

http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_11_25/Putins-visit-to-improve-relationships-between-Catholic-and-Orthodox-Church-expert-8231/

Russian President Vladimir Putin is in Rome on Monday for a two-day visit. He is meeting Pope Francis and the Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin, as well as Italian President Giorgio Napolitano and Prime Minister Enrico Letta. The agenda of the meetings will be dominated by the Syrian crisis. This is going to be Mr. Putin's first meeting with Pope Francis and the third one with the head of the Roman Catholic Church since 2000. In an exclusive interview for the Voice of Russia Leo Goretti, a Dr in Contemporary Italian History from the University of Reading, shares his opinion on the upcoming meeting and talks about the current relations between Russia and Vatican.
Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_11_25/Putins-visit-to-improve-relationships-between-Catholic-and-Orthodox-Church-expert-8231/

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15762
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Then

harleysportster wrote:

Then there is this factor :

http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_11_25/Putins-visit-to-improve-relationships-between-Catholic-and-Orthodox-Church-expert-8231/

Russian President Vladimir Putin is in Rome on Monday for a two-day visit. He is meeting Pope Francis and the Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin, as well as Italian President Giorgio Napolitano and Prime Minister Enrico Letta. The agenda of the meetings will be dominated by the Syrian crisis. This is going to be Mr. Putin's first meeting with Pope Francis and the third one with the head of the Roman Catholic Church since 2000. In an exclusive interview for the Voice of Russia Leo Goretti, a Dr in Contemporary Italian History from the University of Reading, shares his opinion on the upcoming meeting and talks about the current relations between Russia and Vatican.
Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/2013_11_25/Putins-visit-to-improve-relationships-between-Catholic-and-Orthodox-Church-expert-8231/

So you'd expect me to value an institution that took centuries to apologize to Galileo,  who remained silent during the Holocaust and is now chummy with a state that has recently banned what they call "homosexual propaganda"?

The Pope has "relaxed" his views contrary to prior Popes, not because he wants to make amends, but because he is trying to stay relevant. He sees which way the wind is blowing in the west, so he is courting nations still stuck in the past.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Vastet

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Putin > Obama

 

Ok? Supports gays, doesn't want another war with Iran. Got it.

 

Putin, supports homophobic laws, and sides with China on most UN issues.

 

Seriously, if Russia is a utopia to you, move there.

 

 

 

 

I'd correct you, but you don't have the brain power to comprehend it, so I'd be wasting my time.

Putin > Obama = Bush.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:So you'd

Brian37 wrote:

So you'd expect me to value an institution that took centuries to apologize to Galileo,  who remained silent during the Holocaust and is now chummy with a state that has recently banned what they call "homosexual propaganda"?

 

Hmm, I could say the same thing about every institution that has existed. I never said "value" but I would say that Putin is more than just a "KGB Thug".

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Hmm, I

harleysportster wrote:

Hmm, I could say the same thing about every institution that has existed. I never said "value" but I would say that Putin is more than just a "KGB Thug".

 

          Why do people find it controversial that a high ranking KGB operative successfully entered politics ?   The first President Bush was former Director of the CIA. 

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 

          Why do people find it controversial that a high ranking KGB operative successfully entered politics ?   The first President Bush was former Director of the CIA. 

By all of the books that I have read, the KGB was FAR SUPERIOR to the CIA in spy operations.

I think a lot of the people that loosely toss the word around, often confuse the tactics of the NKVD, which was the forerunner of the KGB and Stalin's dudes.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:By all

harleysportster wrote:

By all of the books that I have read, the KGB was FAR SUPERIOR to the CIA in spy operations.

I think a lot of the people that loosely toss the word around, often confuse the tactics of the NKVD, which was the forerunner of the KGB and Stalin's dudes.

 

            Here's a link from a story dated January 15, 1986 about how the Soviet era KGB took control of a hostage situation in Lebanon.   Theirs was a very bloody kind of diplomacy but you can't argue with the results.

 

  http://articles.philly.com/1986-01-15/news/26052630_1_hostage-crisis-soviet-captives-islamic-liberation-organization

 

 

 

 

                       

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Remember when Chechen

Remember when Chechen freedom fighters took over that school in Russia, and the Russian armed forces stormed the school and killed them all? Ruthlessness has its place. Noones tried that shit again.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Remember when

Vastet wrote:
Remember when Chechen freedom fighters took over that school in Russia, and the Russian armed forces stormed the school and killed them all? Ruthlessness has its place. Noones tried that shit again.

 

                 Yes, it was the Beslan school massacre.  Without checking any sources at the moment I believe only one terrorist survived but I'm sure the Russian security forces made him wish that he had died.

 

                              

  I hate to get all sensitive on you but there is one photo from that terrible episode that chokes me up every time I look at it.  It just fucking rips my heart out.

 

                                                                  

 

                                                   

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4198
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:By all

harleysportster wrote:

By all of the books that I have read, the KGB was FAR SUPERIOR to the CIA in spy operations.

I think a lot of the people that loosely toss the word around, often confuse the tactics of the NKVD, which was the forerunner of the KGB and Stalin's dudes.

 

there isn't a goddamn secret service organization in the history of the world, from the gestapo on down, that hasn't utilized all available methods.  there is nothing the KGB (or NKVD or OGPU or cheka) did that the CIA hasn't done too.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: there isn't a

iwbiek wrote:

 

there isn't a goddamn secret service organization in the history of the world, from the gestapo on down, that hasn't utilized all available methods.  there is nothing the KGB (or NKVD or OGPU or cheka) did that the CIA hasn't done too.

 

   The differences lay in how through history some of the security / intelligence forces were quite candid about their methods and others, mostly westerners, were into denying the use of such methods.  

  I seriously doubt that the Gestapo ( using  Nacht und Nebel , "night and fog" meaning those arrested at night by the Gestapo disappeared into the night never to return ) exerted any effort to portray themselves as even remotely humanitarian regarding any of their activities.  The same for their Soviet counterparts of that era.  They wanted to be feared.

  What of Israel's Shin Bet ( ie, "The Unseen Shield" ) or Mossad ?  Does anyone think they didn't beat the shit out of accused terrorists or use other more creative methods ?

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.