Member of the 5% of Active Duty Military that does not believe in God......

nkbearsnk
nkbearsnk's picture
User is offlineOffline
Member of the 5% of Active Duty Military that does not believe in God......

Hello everyone.

My name is Nic and have been searching for a place to discuss and debate my feeling and thoughts on Faith (or lack there of) with not only people that share my beliefs (or lack there of) but people that have different points of view. I happened to stumble on the site and have been lurking for a few weeks. Thought it would be as good time as ever to join and become enlightened by others views.

Real quick background.......Raised Catholic, left the church at 15.......became entranced in studying world religions in hopes to find my way. After 7 or 8 years of study.....serious study......it dawned on me that I would never be happy in any given faith or type of religion. I became agnostic and started questioning everything about God and faith itself. the more I did......the further away from religion and faith I went. I have been atheist for about a year or so can honestly say I have never been happier. 

I hope to not only learn from people here and share idea's about how I feel and how it came to be.

NK  

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

We have other active duty types on site. I believe Big E is currently overseas. Are you at home or abroad?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

nkbearsnk
nkbearsnk's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Currently stationed in

Currently stationed in Japan. Been here since and will be here til the end of 2012. Beautiful Island Okinawa is. People are amazing and the countryside is beyond anything I have ever seen and I have lived in Europe and America. 

"Active Duty Types." .......like that. Never been called that before. Might need to steal that from ya! 

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome nkbears

Pleased to meet you. I have fundy background, but never quite accepted an invisible god who didn't answer prayer. I had my intensely godly moments in my late teens but in hindsight it was my emotion not god's presence at work. As I got older I started questioning the morality of god, then the reality of god. Like you, I have never felt more complete than since becoming an atheist. It's stupid but being able to give myself a label and knowing there are others who struggle to believe in an invisible personal deity is good stuff. Up till then I just thought satan was pulling the wool over my eyes...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hiya, nice too see a non

Hiya, nice too see a non sheep in the military. Hope that didn't come off wrong, anyway, HAI!

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, and thanks for

Welcome, and thanks for serving.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
nkbearsnk wrote: Currently

nkbearsnk wrote:

Currently stationed in Japan. Been here since and will be here til the end of 2012. Beautiful Island Okinawa is. People are amazing and the countryside is beyond anything I have ever seen and I have lived in Europe and America. 

"Active Duty Types." .......like that. Never been called that before. Might need to steal that from ya! 

I love Japan, got to spend a week there once on vacation. The women there are soooooo hot. Gives new meaning to "Rising Sun". BOIOIOIOIOING!

Hey baby, wanna hold my Samurai sword?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

nkbearsnk
nkbearsnk's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:
 Pleased to meet you. I have fundy background, but never quite accepted an invisible god who didn't answer prayer. I had my intensely godly moments in my late teens but in hindsight it was my emotion not god's presence at work. As I got older I started questioning the morality of god, then the reality of god. Like you, I have never felt more complete than since becoming an atheist. It's stupid but being able to give myself a label and knowing there are others who struggle to believe in an invisible personal deity is good stuff. Up till then I just thought satan was pulling the wool over my eyes...

Thanks for the welcome! Guess we share the same background for the most part. While going to church, I questioned everything. I was 10 and questioning the priest about things I knew made no sense. The lack of answers helped me take the course I did. I will be jumping into the threads once my work calms down a bit ( a few days ) so I have some time to think before I post. Look forward to posting with you! 

Rob, Mel......thanks for the welcome! Of course I take no offense to NOT being a sheep. Love being the minority in the Military. Lets me see things from a distance with eyes open.....instead of closed and following the flock. Could not be happier!

Brian: The Japanese girls are beautiful! Where did you visit? I have not been to the main island yet.....just Okinawa......but they can't be much different. 

Tapey.........Where did you find a pic of a Navy recruiter at Mardi Gras? Them fellas like the beads! Smiling Thanks for the welcome!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
nkbearsnk

nkbearsnk wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Thanks for the welcome! Guess we share the same background for the most part. While going to church, I questioned everything. I was 10 and questioning the priest about things I knew made no sense. The lack of answers helped me take the course I did. I will be jumping into the threads once my work calms down a bit ( a few days ) so I have some time to think before I post. Look forward to posting with you! 

Rob, Mel......thanks for the welcome! Of course I take no offense to NOT being a sheep. Love being the minority in the Military. Lets me see things from a distance with eyes open.....instead of closed and following the flock. Could not be happier!

Brian: The Japanese girls are beautiful! Where did you visit? I have not been to the main island yet.....just Okinawa......but they can't be much different. 

Tapey.........Where did you find a pic of a Navy recruiter at Mardi Gras? Them fellas like the beads! Smiling Thanks for the welcome!

My x-wife is Japanese. I went to her hometown which was 4 hours south of Tokyo by bullit train. But we drove back and stopped in Yokahama and Tokyo. When we got off the plane in Tokyo, (my wife was not jelous fyi) but she did elbo me throughout the week because she didn't want her parents seeing me look.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog