Hi

secrethoosier
User is offlineOffline
Hi

I'm 55.  Long time atheist.  When you put atheists in a room together (I'm guilty of this) they tend to talk about God all the time.  I'd like to try to forget the bastard.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't tend to talk about

I don't tend to talk about God. I tend to talk about belief in gods. Subtle difference.

But if you're looking to get away from theism altogether, there's plenty going on in the world of science to occupy your mind for the rest of your life, without even getting close to theism.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
secrethoosier wrote:I'm

secrethoosier wrote:

I'm 55.  Long time atheist.  When you put atheists in a room together (I'm guilty of this) they tend to talk about God all the time.  I'd like to try to forget the bastard.

Thats hard to do driving down any road, looking at marquee signs, business signs, church signs, bumper stickers. Shit, you cant even pull your cash out to pay for something to remind you that the majority population believe in a fictional being. Not to mention it's fans are using our planet for a global game of capture the flag. I think it would be a mistake to try to "forget the bastard".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

secrethoosier
User is offlineOffline
And his name comes leaping

And his name comes leaping out of my mouth everytime a stub my toe.

secrethoosier
User is offlineOffline
I didn't mean to sound

I didn't mean to sound critical.  I just find atheists hold a lot of interesting opinions about other things as well. 

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi.We do talk about a lot

Hi.

We do talk about a lot more than just atheism here.  Come on in and find out! Laughing out loud

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Hi.We do talk

Thomathy wrote:

Hi.

We do talk about a lot more than just atheism here.  Come on in and find out! Laughing out loud

WHAT? Some "atheist" you are.

My goal in life is to put a barbecued kitten on the grill of every household!

Like Bush Jr rightfully said, "Ya'll fer us, or genst us"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
secrethoosier wrote:And his

secrethoosier wrote:

His name? You say Jehovah every time you stub your toe?

Why a secrethoosier? As a Hoosier myself I can't help but wonder.

secrethoosier
User is offlineOffline
I try to keep it a secret.

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
secrethoosier wrote:I try to

secrethoosier wrote:

Yes, I had gathered that, but the question was intended to establish why. By the way, I don't think that the epithet including the descriptive itself is a particularly effective means of actually keeping it secret as such. I doubt that you would find James Bond with a name tag that announced that he was a "secret agent."

"Sshhhhhh!" He would say, "Don't tell."

Anyway . . . Hello!

secrethoosier
User is offlineOffline
I'm conflicted.  I'm really

I'm conflicted.  I'm really hoosier.  Born on a farm.  Family settled here in the 1820's.  I've spent most of my long life in other places, but I always identify myself as a hoosier.  I guess I think it's funny to say so, but behind it are a lot of feelings, good and bad.  Secrethoosier is a name I use a lot on the web.  Nobody else has it, and I've been too lazy to change it. 

I've been considering changing it to Rightbrained, because I am.  What do you think?  (Do they even let you change your name here?)  I haven't met many right-brained atheists.

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline

secrethoosier wrote:

I'm conflicted.  I'm really hoosier.  Born on a farm.  Family settled here in the 1820's.  I've spent most of my long life in other places, but I always identify myself as a hoosier.  I guess I think it's funny to say so, but behind it are a lot of feelings, good and bad.  Secrethoosier is a name I use a lot on the web.  Nobody else has it, and I've been too lazy to change it. 

I've been considering changing it to Rightbrained, because I am.  What do you think?  (Do they even let you change your name here?)  I haven't met many right-brained atheists.

I'm going to leave any statements consisting of atheists and brains alone 'cause it could get me into trouble. I doubt that they allow name changes, but I'm not sure. I like secrethoosier well enough, I was just curious.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
David Henson

David Henson wrote:

secrethoosier wrote:

His name? You say Jehovah every time you stub your toe?

Why a secrethoosier? As a Hoosier myself I can't help but wonder.

Nah - wouldn't waste my time saying "Jehovah". I'd probably just jump to "Yahweh" or "El".

If I'm going to invoke the Canaanite deities on which the Bible is based - I want to get the names right.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline

secrethoosier wrote:

I don't know any other atheists, but I am reminded of "god" through bumper stickers, church vans and country music consistently

It's annoying, I would rather be reminded that there are rational thinking people around.

Anyway, howdy ho!

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin