Help the Fight Against Pseudoscience on Twitter

t3e3
User is offlineOffline
Help the Fight Against Pseudoscience on Twitter

Hello,

I hope this post is not considered spam. I am not part of the RRS community, though I am an atheist and skeptic who subscribes to a naturalistic worldview based on empiricism. I have been a member of this forum for a while but never had a reason to contribute, until now.

If you're not familiar with the Shorty Awards, they are Twitter awards to "honor the best producer of short real time content."

In the #health category, as of now, DrRachie, the leading advocate of science, reason, and skepticism is in 2nd place behind a crank alt-med pusher who's gone so far as to call his skeptical opponent an overweight shill. His alt-med colleague, Mike Adams, has even went out of his way to personally attack all skeptics and atheists.

To be eligible to vote for eligible to vote for http://shortyawards.com/DrRachie you must already have a Twitter account. Votes by new registrants will not count.

Now's the chance for the community that advocates reason, skepticism and science to be heard.

Here's a more detailed background on the story that's proliferating through the skeptic community on the Internet:

Phil Plait's article: http://skepticblog.org/2010/01/27/alt-med-purveyors-show-their-true-colors/

Orac's article: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/01/stay_classy_dr_joe_stay_classy.php

P.S. My apologies if this has already been discussed. I couldn't locate a search feature on this site to query the topic.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi t3e3

Welcome to the forums;   don't be afraid to add to our discussions.  You  are  more then welcome and please contribute.  I do not have a twitter account but can you tell us more about Dr.Rachie.  We always like to hear about  like minded rationalist.  Keep posting.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

t3e3
User is offlineOffline
Dr. Rachie's blog:

Dr. Rachie's blog: http://scepticsbook.com/

As an advocate of scientific skepticism, she blogs about the usual topics: critical thinking, evidence-based health modalities, the consequences of alternative medicine and scientific misinformation, etc. And her opponents paint her in the usual light: a shill for big pharma, close-minded, etc.

Cheers.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
t3e3

Welcome and post more. Have you ever posted on the JREF?  They love to debunk suedoscience.    That's the James Randi Educational Foundation. He is,  like me a Toronto personage.  Have you heard of him?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't have a twitter

I don't have a twitter account. However, I've perused the website of the con artist that's in first place and confirmed that it is alternative medicine. Vaccine conspiracies, homeopathy, etc. The spiritual health category is the most retarded. There are articles titled, "Why life is more than a series of accidents or random events," and "The Science of miracles and the power of prayer."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare