Science Channel Refuses To Dumb Down Science Any Further

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Science Channel Refuses To Dumb Down Science Any Further

SILVER SPRING, MD—Frustrated by continued demands from viewers for more awesome and extreme programming, Science Channel president Clark Bunting told reporters Tuesday that his cable network was "completely incapable" of watering down science any further than it already had.

Enlarge Image Science Channel

An ad for the Science Channel's easy-to-pronounce gourd-launching show, Punkin Chunkin.

"Look, we've tried, we really have, but it's simply not possible to set the bar any lower," said a visibly exhausted Bunting, adding that he "could not in good conscience" make science any more mindless or insultingly juvenile. "We already have a show called Really Big Things, which is just ridiculous if you think about it, and one called Heavy Metal Taskforce, which I guess deals with science on some distant level, though I don't know what it is. Plus, there's Punkin Chunkin."

"Punkin Chunkin, for Christ's sake," added Bunting, referring to the popular program in which contestants launch oversized pumpkins into the air using catapults. "What more do you people want?"

Along with Bunting's remarks, the Science Channel issued a statement claiming that it currently airs more than 150 programming hours that are tangentially, and often laughably, related to science, and that staff members are unable to bring themselves to make those hours even more asinine.

Enlarge Image Bear With Bungie Cord

Test audiences responded poorly to the show's "overly-scientific" method of dropping a bear 300 feet.

Debbie Myers, general manager of the Science Channel, said the cable station has maintained a balance of 5 percent science content and 95 percent mind-numbing drivel over the past few years, and that this was as far as they were willing to go.

"At this point, having the word 'how' in a show's title is about as close to scientific investigation as we get," Myers said. "In fact, I don't even know how we can justify airing a show like Mantracker at all. A cowboy hunts contestants down using his trailing skills? I guess you could say it makes the audience use 'observation' by watching what happens on screen."

"Observation is a part of science, right?" Myers added. "Jesus Christ."

A survey of the network's current schedule confirmed Monday that on-air demonstrations of such basic scientific principles as "inertia" and "momentum" are mostly relegated to pushing a blindfolded participant strapped to an office chair down a steep hill, while other concepts, such as "sublimation," are regularly demonstrated by strapping dynamite to a large fiberglass Big Boy statue and then watching it explode.

As evidence of their refusal to further water down programming, network sources pointed to a number of proposed shows they've abandoned in recent weeks, including an animal-based bungee-jumping program called Extreme Gravity, and Atom Smashers, a series that was was roundly rejected by focus groups as being "too technical" and "not awesome enough."

"People liked that the particle accelerators were really huge, but apparently the show didn't have enough smashing to hold their interest," said a former employee who wished to remain anonymous. "In the end, it was either add a huge monster truck for no reason whatsoever or pull the plug on the entire project. Honestly, I don't think I'd be able to face my wife and children had we gone through with it."

While they won't be dumbing down their already crude lineup of shows, Science Channel officials assured viewers that the network will continue to cater to the lowest common denominator and will keep airing embarrassingly base content completely stripped of all intellectual integrity. Officials also noted that the cable channel greatly values the 18- to 45-year-old demographic of louts, clods, and empty-headed dumb fucks.

"I don't like it when the science people talk about things no one can even understand," said Rich Parker, an Ohio resident. "It's like, just quit your yapping and dip the chain saw into the liquid nitrogen already."

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/science_channel_refuses_to_dumb

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah, hah

It's The Onion, man.  Aren't they supposed to be satirical?  I don't have cable so I don't have a clue as to what really is on the science channel or even if there is a science channel.  But the Discover channel is for toddlers.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:It's The Onion,

cj wrote:

It's The Onion, man.  Aren't they supposed to be satirical?  I don't have cable so I don't have a clue as to what really is on the science channel or even if there is a science channel.  But the Discover channel is for toddlers.

Its true... all of it... The Onions stopped posting fake news, a long time ago!

What Would Kharn Do?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah

Absolutely, it's the Onion and they're taking the piss. Just thought it was true enough of the media representation of science (including pop sci mag which should be relaunched as gadget mag) to rate a chuckle from our resident science nuts.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
can't stand to watch

I absolutely can not stand to watch some of the shows.  I've tried renting dvds that sounded like they might be interesting but meh..... Spencer Wells and The Journey of Man was very good for a change.  And not particularly dumbed.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

5 hour special on noah's ark and where it might be.

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
American TV

I spent some months in America last year.

Lots and lots of TV channels but nothing really interesting.

History and Discovery and all that had SOME moments, but were mostly silly.

This is my favourite TV show in Britain.

Too much glitz, bells and whistles in America.

And don't even mention the fucking commercials...

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Infuriatingly true, satire

Infuriatingly true, satire notwithstanding.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:I spent some

Marquis wrote:

I spent some months in America last year.

Lots and lots of TV channels but nothing really interesting.

History and Discovery and all that had SOME moments, but were mostly silly.

This is my favourite TV show in Britain.

Too much glitz, bells and whistles in America.

And don't even mention the fucking commercials...

Nothing can possibly hold a candle to Green Wing. Shame it's no longer running.

And American commercials can actually be really amazing because they spend more money on thirty seconds of commercial than they do on the entire hour-long program you're watching.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marquis wrote:This is my

Qi is the bollocks

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF.....

MichaelMcF wrote:

Qi is the bollocks

No Michael   "It's true "   {Benny Hill lives forever}  .  I  personaly  have posted  "Stephen Frye's Q.I." on this site at least four times.  Luv dat man!!!!!!!!!!

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?