Hello from Australia.

fcaustic
fcaustic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello from Australia.

Hello all. New member here.

I'm a teenager (18 years old) from Adelaide, Australia. It's been a couple years since I finished high school, and I'm starting studying Design this year.

Now for the story (it's long so feel free to skip it):

I grew up in a quite conservative Christian family and attended church weekly from the day I was born. I first "accepted Jesus into my heart" when I was about 5 or 6, and have been quite actively involved in the Christian "scene" attending Youth Group, leading on holiday camps, and going to weekly Bible studies. I started school fairly early, and during high school I was enrolled in a class designed for children to skip year 9. Thanks to being mostly in classes full of highly intelligent people I've been surrounded by atheists since early high school. Yet religion was one of the topics my friends seemed to avoid, at least while they were around me, so I really only heard one side of the story. While I was a child I was fascinated by science, including the big bang theory and evolution, needless to say I was disappointed when I found out it was all just a lie made up by people who don't want to have to follow God's law.

Once I'd finished high school, (wow that was all the way back in 2007), I started a fairly steady relationship with a girl I'd met at a Christian holiday camp we were both leaders on. We fooled around a bit, never getting too serious, but enough for me to worry about going to hell. I came to the conclusion that instead of living the life of a good Christian I'd do what I enjoyed, and then on my death bed I'd ask for forgiveness and I'd get the best of both worlds. Maybe not a very logical position to take, but it made sense at the time. I was however a bit worried that I'd die suddenly in a car crash, and not have the time to repent. I'd pretty much stopped seeing my friends from high school while I was seeing this girl (a big mistake I only started rectifying in the last couple months) so I kept attending church events for the social life, and not out of any desire to learn about a god which I considered completely irrelevant for my life. However I did politely decline whenever I was invited by my youth pastor to pass out WOTM tracts in the city.

Anyway during this period I met another girl I started going out with, we eventually broke up, but while we were going out we spent a lot of time together. I started staying at her house pretty regularly. I dare say my parents got fairly suspicious about this. Her parents weren't religious thankfully, although they were some kind of weirdo new age spiritualists. My parents eventually figured out we were having sex, yeah your underwear draw isn't a good place to stash condoms if you've told your parents you want a new wardrobe for your room, and they're inclined to do the moving while you're at work. I also started drinking and eventually they found out about that too, and I guess they sort of started to realise I wasn't quite what I was pretending to be. At this point I still believed in God, but I was certainly enjoying my more secular lifestyle, and thinking about how much more awesome it would be if there wasn't

I was working a desk job doing 3d animation at that point. The work was pretty routine, and I had long gaps while I was waiting for the work to render, so I spent a lot of time browsing the internet (yeah I wasn't a very good worker, but my manager, supervisor, etc. were all stationed interstate so I got away with it) one of the fantastic sites I started frequenting was TED.com, mostly I was interested in the talks on architecture and design, but I ended up watching a talk by Richard Dawkins on "militant atheism" (link) I then asked my self the question "Why do those people who know the most about biology ie. biologists, all think that creationism is retarded?" now that's not proof that it is, but it was enough for me to look into it myself, and I did some research into the hundreds of lies, quote mines and straw men I'd heard over the years. (Apparently Darwin never said it was impossible for an eye to evolve) I briefly considered theistic evolution, but I applied a bit of Occam's razor and came to the conclusion that I was an atheist. I incorrectly used the term agnostic for a while, because I certainly didn't think it was impossible for a higher being to exist.

So that's pretty much how it stands. My non-christian friends know I'm an atheist, but I haven't yet "come out" to my family. I'm planning to soon though, I was sitting in church this morning listening to the preacher talk about God's purpose for our lives and realised that I'd really rather face the consequences of telling my parents than listen to anymore of this. Also despite the fact that I described them as conservative Christians they're not quite conservative enough to kick me out of home for apostasy.

tl:dr Former christian and regular church attender who is now an atheist and looking forward to telling his parents.

Hobbies include design, photography, debating politics and religion, mild recreational drug use, and playing video games.

And I also think this is the longest introduction post I've ever written.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!I've read the longer

Welcome!
I've read the longer post, (both of them) thanks to complete non-use of Fecebook and Shitter I can still read and write long texts. Keep writing, as long as it's interesting.
I come from a family that renounced Christianity too, so I can say, good job. It's better to ditch faith early, so you can enjoy life. Just watch out for your hypothetical children, they might get bitten with the weirdo spiritualist bug Smiling

Interesting stuff. Australia, you say? How is it there with Church and state? So far, I never got to hear about it.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. Bob Spense here is

Welcome. Bob Spense here is also from down under. I just couldn't live there all the blood keeps rushing to your head. And how the hell do you pee upside down?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Zombie Jesus
Zombie Jesus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello and welcome. Should I

Hello and welcome. Should I suggest a better place to stash condoms? perhaps an air vent? A bit late I'd say.

All forms of tampering with human beings, getting at them, shaping them against their will to your own pattern, all thought control and conditioning is, therefore, a denial of that in men which makes them men and their values ultimate.
Isaiah Berlin

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
fcaustic wrote: Thanks to

fcaustic wrote:

Thanks to being mostly in classes full of highly intelligent people I've been surrounded by atheists since early high school.

Lol! Good to hear and welcome.  I spent a year travelling from Brisbane to Sydney.  Your country rocks.     

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome fcaustic

Congratulations on your deconversion and best wishes for a lifetime of sleep-in sundays with rapidly decreasing residual guilt.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

fcaustic
fcaustic's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I've always wondered the

I've always wondered the same thing about those in the Northern Hemisphere.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to RRS. I'm a fellow

Welcome to RRS. I'm a fellow Aussie.

Congrats on seeing the light and ditching the bullshit.