Another preacher embarrasses his candidate

Max Wilder
atheist
Max Wilder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another preacher embarrasses his candidate

I'm beginning to wonder if episodes like this (link) will pave the way toward the viability of non-religious candidates. It happened to the two top contenders for President, and I bet it will happen more often as we move forward. In the US, the competition between ideologies is spawning (what I hope is) a death spiral of inflammatory rhetoric. Any candidate that has attached himself to a passionate congregation risks exposure like this.

It gives me hope! Smiling

-----
I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously.
- Douglas Adams, Salmon of Doubt

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hagee has cited the

Quote:

Hagee has cited the Inquisition and the Crusades as evidence of anti-Semitism within the Catholic church and has suggested that Catholic anti-Semitism shaped Adolf Hitler's views of Jews.

Hang on, I thought Hitler was an atheist! Smiling

When all else fails, compare your enemies to Hitler, I guess...

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always thought it was

I always thought it was probably only a matter of time before the Christian Right started to tear itself apart under the force of its own insanity, and now it looks like it is starting to happen.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote....

"I always thought it was probably only a matter of time before the Christian Right started to tear itself apart under the force of its own insanity, and now it looks like it is starting to happen."

We can only hope.  The thing that leaves me incredulous is the way that the Rev. Jeremiah Wright is a cultural crisis, given his connection to Sen. Obama, but under the "mild problem" category, we find John Hagee...AND Ann Coulter...and Pat Robertson...and Jerry Falwell...and James Dobson...and on...and on...and on...and *they* (collectively) have been mass-producing *their* despicable crapola, sometimes for decades.  (Ann Coulter, in particular, makes the bestseller lists for writing entire books of such material.  Not to mention Robertson, who does the same thing in the same thing in the name of that myth he believes in.)

Conor

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conor Wilson wrote:We can

Conor Wilson wrote:

We can only hope.  The thing that leaves me incredulous is the way that the Rev. Jeremiah Wright is a cultural crisis, given his connection to Sen. Obama, but under the "mild problem" category, we find John Hagee...AND Ann Coulter...and Pat Robertson...and Jerry Falwell...and James Dobson...and on...and on...and on...and *they* (collectively) have been mass-producing *their* despicable crapola, sometimes for decades.  (Ann Coulter, in particular, makes the bestseller lists for writing entire books of such material.  Not to mention Robertson, who does the same thing in the same thing in the name of that myth he believes in.)

I think we are seeing less mainstream respect for those people. Ten years or so ago, Pat Robertson was held up as a kind of intellectual. Ann Coulter used to get a lot more run in very mainstream places such as breakfast television. I'm seeing them relegated to the "fringe" column a lot more these days.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't call Ann's

I wouldn't call Ann's pamphlets books.

Theia
Theia's picture
User is offlineOffline
He's at it again."McCain

He's at it again.

"McCain told CNN's Brian Todd that he rejected the endorsement after Todd brought to his attention Hagee's comments that Adolf Hitler had been fulfilling God's will by hastening the desire of Jews to return to Israel in accordance with biblical prophecy."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/22/mccain.hagee/index.html

"The Bible looks like it started out as a game of Mad Libs" - Bill Maher