High School Atheism Group

Hardcore Superstar
User is offlineOffline
High School Atheism Group

So, at my high school we have, like all other high schools, have a student counsel. This up coming Monday we have a meeting for and a friend of mine and I were thinking of showing up and proposing a new group, "The Teen Atheist Society" to combat the 2 theist groups. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this pitch and make it successful?

lieutenant24
lieutenant24's picture
User is offlineOffline
How to make this pitch...

The best way to start is probably by circulating a survey of interest. I don't know how large your school is, but even a handful of signatures should help make a case. Clubs are based upon a common interest, so demonstrate that this interest exists.

Also, make sure you don't pitch it as anti-theistic. No student council will approve something that sounds like a hate group. You might even consider "freethinking" or "secular humanist" instead of "athiest."

COME TO THE DARK SIDE -- WE HAVE COOKIES

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, that's a tough one. Do

Wow, that's a tough one. Do you live in a pretty liberal part of the country? I can't imagine that they can stop you forming any organization as long as it isn't harmful, but I may be wrong.

What is the purpose of the theist clubs? Do they do volunteer work and stuff or do they just meet to discuss religion? You might want to find out how their clubs are organized and the purpose for them first. If they only meet to discuss religion you could always one up them by finding a unique way of serving the community they haven't thought of. You might even ask some of the more open-minded theists if they have any ideas. Secular humanism concepts might help you sway some minds, but you have to be prepared to meet some resistance from evangelicals. If you try to use these concepts, I would study some of the objections to this philosophy first to anticipate any questions or concerns.

I have actually been thinking of starting an organization for atheists here in my community too. I believe we need to organize better than we are, but this can be a double-edged sword. If we organize it gives an illusion of religion even more than is believed in theist circles now. I have a lot of respect for some of the religious groups that volunteered to rebuild homes for Katrina victims and I have always wondered why humanists don't organize and work hand in hand with some of the theists. Kill Em With Kindness, I guess to prove a point that atheists aren't all evil LOL.

How you go about presenting your case is very dependent on the culture of your school and the area you live in. If you could offer up some more info it would be helpful.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  Great idea, make it

Great idea, make it happen, how could they refuse you, .... take it to the supreme court if necessary.  

Keep our friend Thomas Jefferson and his gang with ya .... our (atheist) founding fathers rocked ....  so called "deists" , whatever , same stuff  

Hardcore Superstar
User is offlineOffline
Background for my school, I

Background for my school, I live in Wyoming, I don't think you need more than that. It's a backward assed red state.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would spend some time on

I would spend some time on the Secular Student Alliance website.  I know it's intended for college groups but they have a group running guide available online that could give you some ideas for getting things off the ground. 

If all else fails, talk to a friend that is involved in another school group (maybe a science or philosophy club).  Perhaps they would be willing to incorporate some of your event ideas into their schedule.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:I have

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

I have actually been thinking of starting an organization for atheists here in my community too. I believe we need to organize better than we are, but this can be a double-edged sword. If we organize it gives an illusion of religion even more than is believed in theist circles now. I have a lot of respect for some of the religious groups that volunteered to rebuild homes for Katrina victims and I have always wondered why humanists don't organize and work hand in hand with some of the theists. Kill Em With Kindness, I guess to prove a point that atheists aren't all evil LOL.

Cali, you should check out the Atheist Volunteers site.

Also, I would disagree that organizing atheists give the illusion of religion.  Is it not human nature to want to gather with like-minded individuals - be it socially, for discussion, or with a social service project intention?

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

Cali, you should check out the Atheist Volunteers site.

Also, I would disagree that organizing atheists give the illusion of religion.  Is it not human nature to want to gather with like-minded individuals - be it socially, for discussion, or with a social service project intention?

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

Maybe I have just heard the whole atheism=religion line too many times I have become jaded lol.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   geezz I love you

geezz I love you shelley , and hey we at RRS can be internet connected with your group. Count me in .... sharping my sword as we speak !   

lieutenant24
lieutenant24's picture
User is offlineOffline
Organizing Athiests

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

This is an interesting point. I hesitate to put the "athiest" label on any organization. Atheism isn't really a cause. It is the logical result of an increasing movement toward intellectual freedom. The real cause is the right to think. Atheism is a manifestation of this cause, and only exists as a response to the strongest opposition to intellectual freedom--religion.

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
lieutenant24

lieutenant24 wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

This is an interesting point. I hesitate to put the "athiest" label on any organization. Atheism isn't really a cause. It is the logical result of an increasing movement toward intellectual freedom. The real cause is the right to think. Atheism is a manifestation of this cause, and only exists as a response to the strongest opposition to intellectual freedom--religion.

I have read your response and I think you are right. Maybe secular humanism would be a better banner for a group to come together under. I haven't really put much thought into rather or not most atheists would follow a humanist philosophy, but I can't imagine why most would not. All brands of religion follow a "codified" set of "rules and objectives" whereas atheists do not have such a thing. I see exactly what you are saying now, so thanks for clearing that up for me. 

I did recommend that the OP explore secular humanism in order to draw from some of the idealogical philosophy. Maybe the OP should consider restating the purpose of their club to humanism vice atheism for just this reasoning?

TheHolyTeapot
User is offlineOffline
Many thanks!

Hello everyone, thanks for the input. We're on our way to getting this group together.

BTW: I feel as though I should mention the fact that I am Hardcore's friend IRL and we live in the same town and go the same school. So just so you all the know, I'm the other dude who wants to get this group going. There are a few of us who are involved and our main goal, like all of us organized atheists, is to disprove the stereotype that atheists are immoral and religious haters, so hopefully we can reach that goal. We might receive some criticism (because we live in a small, cowboy town with a church for every 3.5 people) but we will do it nonetheless! Thanks for your support!

lieutenant24
lieutenant24's picture
User is offlineOffline
You're Welcome

If you need help with anything else--ideas, slogans, whatever--let us know.

I'm just glad that all the time I waste on here has some real-world application.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am against Highschools

I am against Highschools becoming ideological gang turf, even if it is not teacher lead or government funded.

Christian groups or atheist groups should meet OFF campus. Chess clubs, golf and bowling clubs, fine. But when you start doing that, even as a student you make the school into a divisive gang turf.

Schools are not there for atheist students or Christian students, they are there FOR STUDENTS TO LEARN, and any extra club activity should be neutral so that all students would feel welcome to join.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

FulltimeDefendent
Scientist
FulltimeDefendent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good luck Hardcore.

Good luck Hardcore. Lieutenant is right though, you might want to call it "Secular Humanist Teens" or "Freethinking Teens." My student org is called Secular Society of Temple University.

Have you gotten a lot of interest in a freethinking organization?

Wyoming. Tough. At least there are probably more atheists in America than there are people in Wyoming. LOL. Maybe we could all move there one day and take over the state legislature with numbers.

“It is true that in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. It is equally true that in the land of the blind, the two-eyed man is an enemy of the state, the people, and domestic tranquility… and necessarily so. Someone has to rearrange the furniture.”

Skurgee.
Skurgee.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
Woot!

Hey, thanks again for all the support! (This is TheHolyTeapot btw, I did a name change/new account) We have decided on the Rational Thought Society, or RTS, for a name. Our logo so far is the Darwin fish with "RTS" in the middle of it. We also decided we want to take this outside the school, make it open to the community also. Why should this be confined to just high school, especially since I will be graduated in May? Brian37 brings up a good point, these sort of things should be off campus, but the main reason we wanted to start this was because they were advertising a Fellowship of Christian Athletes club, or group or whatever you want to call it, at the school. They meet during school hours, they have posters everywhere in the school and so we asked "Why not us?" Our goal isn't to start a gang. We don't want a war against us and the theist groups, that would be, well, irrational. We just want something where atheist students can be a part of and we hope to help them understand that they are not alone because in a community like this, saying you're an atheist could have some consequences, but no matter what these consequences are we will NEVER resort to violence, we will NEVER fight back in a physical manner. We will only defend ourselves in a peaceful and rational manner, but I don't think (at least I hope) we won't have any trouble.

Another goal is to present clear arguments to theists and to get rid of any myths or misconceptions about evolution, natural selection, etc. Everyone, including theists, is welcome. We will encourage theists to come so we can present them with the facts that most of us here see. We want to let them know that they will not be ridiculed or pressured into anything if they come and they can leave anytime they want. We want to give the theists a chance to defend their creationist argument, which will then give us a chance to tear those arguments to pieces. Eye-wink

I'm hoping we will get an equal and fair opportunity at this, just as the Christian group got. Also, any suggestion or ideas or more than welcome, we want all the help we can get! Peace!

Photobucket

Skurgee.
Skurgee.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
We have a big, empty square with lots of room.

Trust me, there is PLENTY of room here for that idea. Sticking out tongue

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hardcore Superstar wrote:So,

Hardcore Superstar wrote:

So, at my high school we have, like all other high schools, have a student counsel. This up coming Monday we have a meeting for and a friend of mine and I were thinking of showing up and proposing a new group, "The Teen Atheist Society" to combat the 2 theist groups. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this pitch and make it successful?

*bangs head relentlessly against desk*

Your in high school... 1 word, NO

Wearing your underwear outside of your pants for the rest of the year, will be less socially debilating then making an atheist social club at school...

wtf is wrong with you? go play WOW or something like a normal kid... leave your activist stuff for college like every one else

*if you STILL need to "get at" the theist groups, then do it like any regular person would, panks, violence, jokes, murder*

/rant

dont you all look at me like that! some body had to say it... dont tell me that ive become the voice of reason >.<

What Would Kharn Do?

Skurgee.
Skurgee.'s picture
User is offlineOffline
>.<

Ptchaw! I do play WoW, sir! I do think it's kind of funny that you said it would be "socially debilitating" and then told us to play WoW lol. And we honestly don't give a fuck what these people think. We have our own circle of close friends, like most high schoolers do, and the majority of us are atheist or agnostic. So we want to get this going and if people don't like us, who cares? We didn't like them to begin with, that's why we hang out with each other and not these other fools. We want to make these people, fools though they may be, see truth and reason. We don't want to cause violence! That would lower us and I think it would send a very wrong message of what we are about,  not just us personally, but RRS included. Violence is what Christians use to convert people. (i.e. the Crusades, the Inquisition, Fred Phelps) I know you were mainly joking around, but I don't want to give the wrong idea here. If we are too worried about self-image, then how could we take the risks to move forward; to progress? Come on man! It's for the people, man! It's for the people! Eye-wink

Photobucket

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:Wow,

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

Wow, that's a tough one. Do you live in a pretty liberal part of the country? I can't imagine that they can stop you forming any organization as long as it isn't harmful, but I may be wrong.

What is the purpose of the theist clubs? Do they do volunteer work and stuff or do they just meet to discuss religion? You might want to find out how their clubs are organized and the purpose for them first. If they only meet to discuss religion you could always one up them by finding a unique way of serving the community they haven't thought of. You might even ask some of the more open-minded theists if they have any ideas. Secular humanism concepts might help you sway some minds, but you have to be prepared to meet some resistance from evangelicals. If you try to use these concepts, I would study some of the objections to this philosophy first to anticipate any questions or concerns.

How you go about presenting your case is very dependent on the culture of your school and the area you live in. If you could offer up some more info it would be helpful.

Aye that's how the communist club at our school got started. They're actually really huge now. The district shut them down when they didn't have any purpose other than meeting, marching through the halls, and posting communist propaganda everywhere. So they decided to perform community service and they're allowed back on campus again.

Granted, they're not really communists, its more of a parody than anything.

Boon Docks
User is offlineOffline
updates

We need some current updates.  Have you gotten a hold of Secular Student Alliance?  That group can be a big help now and in college.  Where is spell check when I need it?