Rape and Bullying

digitalbeachbum's picture

When is this shit going to stop? What kind of society allows this to continue?

www.thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1122345-who-failed-rehtaeh-parsons

The police should be brought to trial for their sloppy investigation. The four boys should be prosecuted.

In the article, it says they have a picture of the rape, but don't know who pressed the button? WTF? Really? That's preventing you from asking, "OK who's phone was it?" "OK son, why did you snap a photo of the rape, who was there with you, what? you didn't take the picture? OK, who had your phone? ".

Bullshit.

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams

digitalbeachbum's picture

news.msn.com/crime-justice/ca

Beyond Saving's picture

digitalbeachbum wrote:When

digitalbeachbum wrote:

When is this shit going to stop? What kind of society allows this to continue?

www.thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1122345-who-failed-rehtaeh-parsons

The police should be brought to trial for their sloppy investigation. The four boys should be prosecuted.

In the article, it says they have a picture of the rape, but don't know who pressed the button? WTF? Really? That's preventing you from asking, "OK who's phone was it?" "OK son, why did you snap a photo of the rape, who was there with you, what? you didn't take the picture? OK, who had your phone? ".

Bullshit.

How do you know the investigation was sloppy? They took a year to do it and despite my best efforts I have not been able to find anything substantial on the net about the actual investigation. The big problem inherent in any rape investigation is proving that it was not consensual, especially if the alleged victim doesn't go to the cops right away and when it isn't a particularly violent rape. I haven't even been able to find a description of the picture, but I would assume that since the prosecutor didn't bring charges there was nothing in the picture that overtly suggested the sex was not consensual. Again, it is hard to know because I can't find shit about the original investigation, can you? 

There are at least three possible scenarios, first she was in fact raped and as is fairly typical of a teenager who goes through that kind of trauma she didn't tell anyone and tried to hide it until the pictures surfaced. Second, that she had consensual sex with those guys and then when it became public knowledge claimed it was rape in an attempt to stop the bullying and avoid the label "slut". Third, that she was intoxicated to a point where she couldn't really consent, but couldn't really say no either and then regretted it the next morning.

All three scenarios tend to have really similar physical evidence and proving one beyond reasonable doubt in a jury trial is very hard when all you have is a picture and testimony. Without some kind of knowledge of the investigation I think it is ignorant to assume that the investigation was sloppy and the police didn't make a reasonable attempt to collect evidence or that the prosecutor was incorrect in deciding there was not enough evidence to press charges. The problem with rape is that when it is between people who know each other, it is really hard to prove and really hard to disprove. And the consequences of convicting someone who is innocent are very severe and not something that should be taken lightly.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to be in a position of determining whether sex was rape or consensual and being responsible for either letting a scumbag off the hook or destroying the life of an innocent person. Have you ever had sex with someone while you were both under the influence of substances and the next morning it is a little fuzzy to both of you? Imagine if she regretted it and decided to accuse you of rape.   

And so what about the picture? Do you think they should be brought up on child pornography charges? That would make a lot of teenagers lifetime sex offenders because I'm sure many of them snap pictures during sex. I know when I was that age I sure as hell would have. I have heard people suggest there should be laws punishing people who text explicit pictures without consent, which very well might make sense. However, there currently is no law here in the US and I believe there is no law in Canada either from what I could tell.

I find it disturbing that social media seems so quick to condemn people as guilty when no one knows the facts. Often, this social media mob justice seems little different from the days of lynching where everyone assumes the accused is guilty and to hell with the evidence; just grab them and punish them severely because we need "justice". Hang'em high in the street, whisky for my men, beer for my horses and who gives a fuck if you hang an innocent man. 

I just usually go with my own taste. If I like something, and it happens to be against the law, well, then I might have a problem.- Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum's picture

Beyond Saving wrote:And so

Beyond Saving wrote:

And so what about the picture? Do you think they should be brought up on child pornography charges? That would make a lot of teenagers lifetime sex offenders because I'm sure many of them snap pictures during sex. I know when I was that age I sure as hell would have. I have heard people suggest there should be

I find it disturbing that social media seems so quick to condemn people as guilty when no one knows the facts. Often, this social media mob justice seems little different from the days of lynching where everyone assumes the accused is guilty and to hell with the evidence; just grab them and punish them severely because we need "justice". Hang'em high in the street, whisky for my men, beer for my horses and who gives a fuck if you hang an innocent man. 

The chief of police said that they didn't know who "snapped the picture so they couldn't prosecute. ??? Huh, like you need to know who snapped the picture? Who's phone was it from? Ask them, were you holding the phone when the picture was taken? If not, who had your phone?

There is a trail here... some one had the phone and some one took the picture.

I'm glad some one has come forward finally.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/11/harper-decries-criminal-activity-in-n-s-teens-death/

The evidence points to the police protecting some one or incompetence.

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams

Beyond Saving's picture

digitalbeachbum wrote:The

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The evidence points to the police protecting some one or incompetence.

What evidence, where? Neither of the links you have provided have a shred of evidence, just a lot of people making claims. 

I just usually go with my own taste. If I like something, and it happens to be against the law, well, then I might have a problem.- Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving's picture

digitalbeachbum wrote:The

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The chief of police said that they didn't know who "snapped the picture so they couldn't prosecute. ??? Huh, like you need to know who snapped the picture? Who's phone was it from? Ask them, were you holding the phone when the picture was taken? If not, who had your phone?

There is a trail here... some one had the phone and some one took the picture.

The chief of police also said that the photo "not really a criminal issue, it’s more of a community issue." because they were not about to charge teenagers for child pornography. Do you think they should? 

I just usually go with my own taste. If I like something, and it happens to be against the law, well, then I might have a problem.- Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum's picture

I don't know but three cases

I don't know but three cases of high school students, raping, taking pictures, then distributing them to other classmates seems to have become the norm for today's young crowd.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/attorney-friends-assaulted-calif-suicide-victim?ocid=ansnews11

 

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams