Maybe no point of this argument but oh well... [Kill Em With Kindness]

whatarewelivingfor
Posts: 2
Joined: 2008-11-24
User is offlineOffline
Maybe no point of this argument but oh well... [Kill Em With Kindness]

Greetings

I guess this is a fundemental question about religion / ireligon

first of all i am not an atheist or a theist im nothing i don't belive in not beliving or in beliving to be honest now that may sound stupid it probabaly a non justified statement allow me to explain i don't see the point in investing my time on this planet in objecting to others beliefs or even stating that i either am something such as an athetist or a theist these are just words wether or not they have a meaning behind them is irelivent they like the human mind are just products of our enviroment however it was created things have been programed into us in our oversized brains yes.. what is the point in beliving in anything realy and what is the point in not beliveing too

i think both are wrong and a waste of time a man (or woman) can call itself  anything christian jewish atheist agnostic whatever my argument is why? is there realy any point in professing your beliefs what does it acheive ...?

we all live we all die thats the end what happens after that no one can truely tell you and you will never know until you have exprienced it ...

so i guess my question is why waste your time in beliving or not beliving because we are all fucked in the end anyway so whats the point ?

*insert intelligent quote here making fun of religion and or popular culture*


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Does that hold for believing

Does that hold for believing in anything or just in a deity?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
Posts: 284
Joined: 2008-06-12
User is offlineOffline
Abandoned Places?

My one major complaint is that your lack of sentence structure and punctuation make it sound like you are a 5 year old who just drank a 2 liter of Jolt trying to have a conversation. Please refine your sense of Grammar.

To the actual subject of your question, 42. It seems your entire point boils down to 'we're going to die anyways, so why should we care?' The answer to that is simply that we should care, because so long as we are here, we are here. I don't care about what people think about what will happen to them after they die, so long as their beliefs about these do not affect my life now. When they do, then you can expect some response, be it positive or negative depending on what the effect was.

The real problem with your point is that it cannot be applied to issues that actually affect our lives. You may think that apathy is all well and good and that what people believe never changes anything, and I would say you have a limited experience from which to draw this conclusion. If something affects my life negatively, I will fight it. I would not fight religion if it amounted to no more than a belief that after the person's death they went somewhere, but unfortunately religion carries with it other beliefs that do affect my life.

Another large problem with what I feel your point is alluding to is that a discussion about these does not necessarily have to be hostile. It does not have to dissolve into an insult war, it can remain amicable. Furthermore, when the actual insults that are so hurled are done so not through malice but through the intent to further the discussion, then it is also not an insult war. No flames need be involved.
This is a minor point I wanted to make as so many seem to misunderstand it.

I understand the common view that religion and politics should not be discussed among friends; however that is an utterly retarded idea. Religion and politics are arguably two of the most important topics we have to discuss in the world today. If anything it is our duty to discuss them.

Tonight I'm gonna have myself a real good time

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
whatarewelivingfor wrote:so

whatarewelivingfor wrote:

so i guess my question is why waste your time in beliving or not beliving because we are all fucked in the end anyway so whats the point ?

I'm going to guess that you mean believing or not believing in magical creatures like God, Thor, or the Tooth Fairy, correct? Not believing is easy: if someone says "listen, there's this god, and if you don't believe in him, you're going to hell," my reaction is negative. I think, "don't be silly - you're just reading ancient literature and taking it as fact." My judgement of what to believe or not is automatic. I don't think, "what would be the point of judging the validity of what this man's saying?"

Do you never evaluate statements as being true or false? Belief implies that you would be evaluating statements as probably true or false. Flying pigs? Probably false. Germ theory? Probably true. It's not that dramatic.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


Empirical Infidel
Empirical Infidel's picture
Posts: 18
Joined: 2008-09-28
User is offlineOffline
It sounds like your

It sounds like your philosophy of life is: Life sucks, then you die. You may need antidepressants or to stop getting your world view from bumperstickers. It would be nice if we could all go around believing whatever we want without it affecting or being affected by anyone else, but I've just lived through eight years of terrible national leadership because a lot of people thought a pro-life stance was the only thing to concider when voting for President and I live in an area where a lot of people want to destroy the educational system because it suggests that their favorite book might be wrong about the age of the Earth. I could sit at home, shrug and say "Oh well, shit happens", I just think we all deserve better and I've gotten tired of listening to ignorant people without responding.


whatarewelivingfor
Posts: 2
Joined: 2008-11-24
User is offlineOffline
i guess my point is why

i guess my point is why involve yourself in promoting your own beliefs or lack there of

and yeah unfortantatly my english is not so good as i am still learning

but why not just abstain yourself from trying to change other peoples veiws on life even if they are wrong theres no real devine proof they are wrong i mean yeah anyone with half a brain could work out old storys from 2000 years ago ect but no one realy does know what happens when we die

so why not just live free and forget about religion or a lack of it ?

*insert intelligent quote here making fun of religion and or popular culture*


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is offlineOffline
whatarewelivingfor wrote:so

whatarewelivingfor wrote:

 

so i guess my question is why waste your time in beliving or not beliving because we are all fucked in the end anyway so whats the point ?

...

but why not just abstain yourself from trying to change other peoples veiws on life even if they are wrong theres no real devine proof they are wrong i mean yeah anyone with half a brain could work out old storys from 2000 years ago ect but no one realy does know what happens when we die

 

so why not just live free and forget about religion or a lack of it ?

 

 

I have answers to your questions which I will soon provide, but let's start simple:

 

Why are you bothering to come here and tell us we're "wasting [our] time"?  Why don't you just "live free" and forget about those of us having this discussion?

 

 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
Posts: 592
Joined: 2007-04-11
User is offlineOffline
whatarewelivingfor

whatarewelivingfor wrote:

Greetings

I guess this is a fundemental question about religion / ireligon

first of all i am not an atheist or a theist im nothing i don't belive in not beliving or in beliving

This doesn't follow logically.

You "don't believe" in "not believing" this is a double negative. Meaning you Believe in believing.

Then you also "don't believe in "believing".  which is its own meaning which is a contraction to the first statement.

In any boolean situation you can only have 2 options.

whatarewelivingfor wrote:

to be honest now that may sound stupid it probabaly a non justified statement allow me to explain i don't see the point in investing my time on this planet in objecting to others beliefs or even stating that i either am something such as an athetist or a theist these are just words wether or not they have a meaning behind them is irelivent they like the human mind are just products of our enviroment however it was created things have been programed into us in our oversized brains yes.. what is the point in beliving in anything realy and what is the point in not beliveing too

i think both are wrong and a waste of time a man (or woman) can call itself  anything christian jewish atheist agnostic whatever my argument is why? is there realy any point in professing your beliefs what does it acheive ...?

How can a nothing as you claim yourself to be put a value on time? What doesn't waste time?

whatarewelivingfor wrote:

we all live we all die thats the end what happens after that no one can truely tell you and you will never know until you have exprienced it ...

so i guess my question is why waste your time in beliving or not beliving because we are all fucked in the end anyway so whats the point ?

All doomed, but not all gloom, since I think this is all I get, I might as well get it.  The question I ask is why not waste your time Mr. nothing.

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 For New Atheists: Is This

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3705
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
whatarewelivingfor wrote:so

whatarewelivingfor wrote:

so i guess my question is why waste your time in beliving or not beliving because we are all fucked in the end anyway so whats the point ?

Hello.

Think about the philosophical difference between believing and not believing. 

"we are all fucked in the end anyway" You're an agnostic atheist. Welcome to RRS. 

edit:

Quote:
i guess my point is why involve yourself in promoting your own beliefs or lack there of

That's a much a better question. In a nutshell, atheism only exists as a response to theism, because a lack of belief in something is the default position. I want to be free, but each religion desires to spread across the world and control the masses with its infallible scriptures.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
Posts: 284
Joined: 2008-06-12
User is offlineOffline
I take it English is not

I take it English is not your native language then? No problem then, just so long as you keep trying to improve Eye-wink. I only made the comment because it seemed like you were just some random American text message-ophile teenager because of the lack of punctuation.

Again, if they kept their delusions to themselves and didn't try to make laws based on those beliefs, I would have no problem with them. Case in Point, I have no problem with the Amish, because although they are a fundamentalist religious group, they have the intelligence to realize that their way of life is not for everyone, and they as such do not try to force their religions beliefs and life style unto their fellow man.

I personally do not campaign for the death of religion, merely the death of its hold on the world. If the only way to accomplish this feat is to cause its total destruction, then so be it.

I guess you could say I campaign for the death of Religion, not religion.

And also again, I think, because of its importance, the topic must be discussed. I think your problem is that you feel since there is no greater all encompasing purpose to existence, that we cannot assign smaller localized purposes on our own. I hold that we can.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13545
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
whatarewelivingfor

whatarewelivingfor wrote:

Greetings

I guess this is a fundemental question about religion / ireligon

first of all i am not an atheist or a theist im nothing i don't belive in not beliving or in beliving to be honest now that may sound stupid it probabaly a non justified statement allow me to explain i don't see the point in investing my time on this planet in objecting to others beliefs or even stating that i either am something such as an athetist or a theist these are just words wether or not they have a meaning behind them is irelivent they like the human mind are just products of our enviroment however it was created things have been programed into us in our oversized brains yes.. what is the point in beliving in anything realy and what is the point in not beliveing too

i think both are wrong and a waste of time a man (or woman) can call itself  anything christian jewish atheist agnostic whatever my argument is why? is there realy any point in professing your beliefs what does it acheive ...?

we all live we all die thats the end what happens after that no one can truely tell you and you will never know until you have exprienced it ...

so i guess my question is why waste your time in beliving or not beliving because we are all fucked in the end anyway so whats the point ?

We have no choice as humans if we want to communicate to define something which is what language is. Your inane question, "Why waste your time believing anything". When you think your "can't we all just get along" is some sort of unique ephifany others outside your position is incapable of holding.

BECAUSE if humans are to get allong better there has to be overlap. Religion does little to find that overlap. Worship of anything, be it a celebrity, political party, or nation, is absurd.

WHY do we hold the position we do. The simplicty should not astound you. There is no evidence for a god. But since people vote and run governments based on this and I live on the only planet we all live on, that seems to me a damned good reason to care.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Nam Vet (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Very well stated Sinphanious
  1. I have been hanging around the planet for 60 years now. I have suffered a lot and can make no more sense of it all now than when I was,say 12 or so. None of of it makes any sense to me at all. If suffering and growing older was supposed to make me wiser I got lost along the way. I really suffered a lot. My body is a mass of scar tissue and it did not make me stronger. I live in unending pain from the gunshot wounds I sustained those long decades ago . If it was`nt for concern for my wife I would have put myself out of my misery long ago. Oh well,better luck next life, Your Freind, Oscar
  2.  
  3.  

f