Open Post to Sapient

spirale2
Posts: 22
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Open Post to Sapient

I gotta admit one thing, sapient---for a guy who believes that each and every one of his thoughts and actions can't be nothing more than a subatomic particles following purposeless physical laws blindly, you sure do brag on yourself a lot.

Just about anyone can can look through the RRS website and see a lot of rage and pain. No wonder your site appeals to people that've been damaged by theists---you give them a place where they can keep on picking their old scabs and staying mad at the people who hurt them, and you tell them that the people who hurt them are mind disordered. Plus, you'll eradicate theism from the earth. The rest of us all know the name of that tune. It's classic danger sign of a whacko cult---WE know the TRUTH, THEY'RE stupid, evil, or insane, and we're going to take care of the problem by eradicating something. You can read more about RRS's whacko cult behavior in http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17569.

Usually, all this would be no big deal. One whacko cult more or less won't change much. What makes y'all worth bothering with is that what y'all want to eradicate happens to be the beliefs of another whacko cult, the Buybullical Cretinists. Those folks and RRS are like two hostile bands of monkeys shrieking and throwing their turds at each other, with the rest of us caught in the crossfire. Not much fun for us, especially since we know the Cretinists are stupid enough to believe y'all really are a threat to them. Plus, some of them are dangerous types, and capable of escalating things to more than just turd throwing.

As Kelly seems to like to put it, "it may shock you to know" that most theists and atheists get along ok. The theists know their scriptures aren't infallible, and the atheists don't have any problem saying that materialism/naturalism has its blind spots. So each group sees the other as honest people who don't go running around trying to eradicate other people’s beliefs from the earth. Problem is, the Buybullical Cretinists tend to think that sort of theist is a traitor. I'll let you explain what RRS thinks of that kind of atheist. Normal 0 21 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4


/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Tabla normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

 


whatever
whatever's picture
Posts: 11
Joined: 2009-02-20
User is offlineOffline
spirale2 wrote: I gotta

spirale2 wrote:

I gotta admit one thing, sapient---for a guy who believes that each and every one of his thoughts and actions can't be nothing more than a subatomic particles following purposeless physical laws blindly, you sure do brag on yourself a lot.

What does the composition of our being have to do with what we think and feel.  Just because we are made our of matter doesn't mean we can't have feelings. 


treat2 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Describe them.

Describe them.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3686
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
spirale2 wrote: I gotta

spirale2 wrote:

I gotta admit one thing, sapient---for a guy who believes that each and every one of his thoughts and actions can't be nothing more than a subatomic particles following purposeless physical laws blindly, you sure do brag on yourself a lot.

 

Oh man, you just love this composition/argument from incredulity stuff, don't you?

Quote:
Just about anyone can can look through the RRS website and see a lot of rage and pain. No wonder your site appeals to people that've been damaged by theists---you give them a place where they can keep on picking their old scabs and staying mad at the people who hurt them, and you tell them that the people who hurt them are mind disordered. Plus, you'll eradicate theism from the earth. The rest of us all know the name of that tune. It's classic danger sign of a whacko cult---WE know the TRUTH, THEY'RE stupid, evil, or insane, and we're going to take care of the problem by eradicating something. You can read more about RRS's whacko cult behavior in http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17569.

*facepalm*

Quote:
Usually, all this would be no big deal. One whacko cult more or less won't change much. What makes y'all worth bothering with is that what y'all want to eradicate happens to be the beliefs of another whacko cult, the Buybullical Cretinists. Those folks and RRS are like two hostile bands of monkeys shrieking and throwing their turds at each other, with the rest of us caught in the crossfire. Not much fun for us, especially since we know the Cretinists are stupid enough to believe y'all really are a threat to them. Plus, some of them are dangerous types, and capable of escalating things to more than just turd throwing.

This might sound weird, but you remind me of the dwarves in the Chronicles of Narnia, The Last Battle.

Quote:
As Kelly seems to like to put it, "it may shock you to know" that most theists and atheists get along ok. The theists know their scriptures aren't infallible, and the atheists don't have any problem saying that materialism/naturalism has its blind spots. So each group sees the other as honest people who don't go running around trying to eradicate other people’s beliefs from the earth. Problem is, the Buybullical Cretinists tend to think that sort of theist is a traitor. I'll let you explain what RRS thinks of that kind of atheist.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of atheist you're referring to nor what you mean by materialism/naturalism having "blind spots," but I can tell you that I don't run around burning Bibles or calling every theist I see a moron.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13396
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
spirale2 wrote: I gotta

spirale2 wrote:

I gotta admit one thing, sapient---for a guy who believes that each and every one of his thoughts and actions can't be nothing more than a subatomic particles following purposeless physical laws blindly, you sure do brag on yourself a lot.

Just about anyone can can look through the RRS website and see a lot of rage and pain. No wonder your site appeals to people that've been damaged by theists---you give them a place where they can keep on picking their old scabs and staying mad at the people who hurt them, and you tell them that the people who hurt them are mind disordered. Plus, you'll eradicate theism from the earth. The rest of us all know the name of that tune. It's classic danger sign of a whacko cult---WE know the TRUTH, THEY'RE stupid, evil, or insane, and we're going to take care of the problem by eradicating something. You can read more about RRS's whacko cult behavior in http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17569.

Usually, all this would be no big deal. One whacko cult more or less won't change much. What makes y'all worth bothering with is that what y'all want to eradicate happens to be the beliefs of another whacko cult, the Buybullical Cretinists. Those folks and RRS are like two hostile bands of monkeys shrieking and throwing their turds at each other, with the rest of us caught in the crossfire. Not much fun for us, especially since we know the Cretinists are stupid enough to believe y'all really are a threat to them. Plus, some of them are dangerous types, and capable of escalating things to more than just turd throwing.

As Kelly seems to like to put it, "it may shock you to know" that most theists and atheists get along ok. The theists know their scriptures aren't infallible, and the atheists don't have any problem saying that materialism/naturalism has its blind spots. So each group sees the other as honest people who don't go running around trying to eradicate other people’s beliefs from the earth. Problem is, the Buybullical Cretinists tend to think that sort of theist is a traitor. I'll let you explain what RRS thinks of that kind of atheist. Normal 0 21 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4


/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Tabla normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

 

Quote:
Just about anyone can can look through the RRS website and see a lot of rage and pain.

What is your point? If you are saying atheists are angry, yea, we are. "Pain", no, other than theists can be a pain in the ass meddling in others lives and in politics.

Yes we are angry. But not because we are depressed or got molested or were abused as kids. We are angry because religious people project their beliefs on government law, which in turn affects us.

And even beyond that, it makes me angry to see full grown adults cheer lead for a magical Santa in the sky(by any label) and then demand that no one question it.

I am angry. But that makes me, and most here, motivated to take positive action to bring positive change to humanity by challenging absurd claims.

I think the world is better off now that we know it is a globe and not flat. I think the world is better off now that we know the sun is a ball of burning gas and not a thinking being.

And I think humanity will do better by giving up on fictitious claims of disembodied brain's living in the sky knocking up little girls with no sperm or DNA. I think the world would be better off giving up on ideas of magical harems in the sky. I think the world would be better of giving up on absurd claims that science fiction writers are prophets. I think the world would do better looking through telescopes rather than horoscopes.

So once again you are one in a long list of ignorant people who post without spending any significant sufficient time to know that it is not about force, or violence or cult-ish behavior.

This site certainly contains blasphemy and strong language. AND at the same time it welcomes theists to present their case. If this were a hate site full of zealots theists would not be welcome here.

So please stop trying to paint a fallacious and false picture about this site, or it's members.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vermilion
Vermilion's picture
Posts: 66
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Describe

treat2 wrote:
Describe them.

 

Love, Sadness, Warmth, Guilt, Pride, etc. We feel these the same as everyone. However, we don't call them more than we know they are. All we know for sure is that certain things our brain interprets sets off chemical reactions, which our brain then interprets as a certain feeling. This is all we know, and have no reason to believe there is something supernatural at work here.

The feeling of a 'self' is what makes people think they are some type of soul, and that emotions are more than just a physical sensation. Think about it though... What we call a 'self' is just a collection of memories, knowledge, and experiences which over time have collected into our brains and now we interpret and react to the world and those around us based on that collection. There is no reason to believe that what you call you your 'self' will survive the death of your body/brain.


treat2 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
spirale2 wrote:... No wonder

spirale2 wrote:
... No wonder your site appeals to people that've been damaged by theists---you give them a place...

Speak for yourself.

I'm just hanging around till I get "whacked".


treat2 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
We started off

We started off with:

spirale2 wrote:

I gotta admit one thing, sapient---for a guy who believes that each and every one of his thoughts and actions can't be nothing more than a subatomic particles following purposeless physical laws blindly, you sure do brag on yourself a lot.

Vermilion wrote:

What does the composition of our being have to do with what we think and feel. Just because we are made our of matter doesn't mean we can't have feelings.

treat2 wrote:
Describe them.

Vermilion wrote:
Love, Sadness, Warmth, Guilt, Pride, etc. We feel these the same as everyone. However, we don't call them more than we know they are. All we know for sure is that certain things our brain interprets sets off chemical reactions, which our brain then interprets as a certain feeling. This is all we know, and have no reason to believe there is something supernatural at work here.

The feeling of a 'self' is what makes people think they are some type of soul, and that emotions are more than just a physical sensation. Think about it though... What we call a 'self' is just a collection of memories, knowledge, and experiences which over time have collected into our brains and now we interpret and react to the world and those around us based on that collection. There is no reason to believe that what you call you your 'self' will survive the death of your body/brain.

Ok.

But... Non-sequitur posts. Can not compute.
As usual here, you (plural) need me to spell it out. Christ!

From the point being:

"I gotta admit one thing, sapient...you sure do brag on yourself a lot."

To the point being:

"There is no reason to believe that what you call you your 'self' will survive the death of your body/brain."

Got it?