Evolutionary Biology, Debating theists, and understanding.

AaronZZZ
AaronZZZ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Evolutionary Biology, Debating theists, and understanding.

Recently i have been involved in a conversation with a theist that consisted of him denying the scientific method and process and referring to science as being as much of a leap of faith as religion. usually I don't entertain such arguments as it show the person to be intellectually dishonest in the fact that they presume to know something with out having done any research, as he admitted to not knowing what the scientific method is, but there were other theists present asking questions so for the sake of opening a mind or two i proceeded.

The Scientific method is a set of principles and procedures for the systematic pursuit of knowledge involving the recognition and formulation of a problem, the collection of data through observation and experiment, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses, according to the college addition of Merriam-Websters dictionary.According to Wikipedia The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena and acquiring new knowledge, as well as for correcting and integrating previous knowledge. It is based on gathering observable, empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning, the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and the formulation and testing of hypotheses.

Science is about Truth above all. The scientific peer system is set up so that any hypothesis or theory is tested, debated, and verified many times over by anyone who wishes. But in turn any objections are subject to the same process so that truth and fact can be found through these methods. Science is about understanding, and has no other motives. i have heard theists claim that scientists are wickedly inclined to disprove the bible.... how they come to this conclusion I don't know but it seems that many share this idea to some degree. In many cases some believe that only some of science such as evolutionary biology is a ploy to disprove the bible. And yet evolutionary biology is accepted as fact by all of the scientific community outside of a select few theistic scientists and the Discovery institute. But in those cases again and again there objections are countered with overwhelming evidence and proofs to the contrary.

In the public view many misunderstand what the theory of evolution is or even what a scientific theory is. A theory is NOT an educated guess....Many people learned in elementary school that a theory falls in the middle of a hierarchy of certainty--above a mere hypothesis but below a law. Scientists do not use the terms that way, however. According to the National Academy of Sciences, a scientific theory is "a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses." No amount of validation changes a theory into a law, which is a descriptive generalization about nature. So when scientists talk about the theory of evolution--or the atomic theory or the theory of relativity, for that matter--they are not expressing reservations about its truth. In addition to the theory of evolution, meaning the idea of descent with modification, one may also speak of the fact of evolution. The NAS defines a fact as "an observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as 'true.'" The fossil record and abundant other evidence testify that organisms have evolved through time. Although no one observed those transformations, the indirect evidence is clear, unambiguous and compelling. Anyone who has actually researched evolutionary biology should have no doubts about its validity unless they either don't understand it, or are willing to lie to them selves and/or others.

Personally I think one of the most important subjects of atheism is science and the understanding of the world, and indeed the universe around us. And obviously the theists agree considering they are waging a war of sorts on evolutionary biology and distorting facts to fit what the bible suggest. Dishonesty is the worst of human traits and thats all I see when I argue or debate science with most theists.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AaronZZZ wrote: Personally

AaronZZZ wrote:

Personally I think one of the most important subjects of atheism is science and the understanding of the world, and indeed the universe around us. And obviously the theists agree considering they are waging a war of sorts on evolutionary biology and distorting facts to fit what the bible suggest. Dishonesty is the worst of human traits and thats all I see when I argue or debate science with most theists.

Stop right there! (LOL I've always wanted to say that since I got my new avatar)

Science is not a subject of atheism or Theism. Both atheists and Theists contribute to science.

It's just the way you said it that implies that science must be exclusive to atheism. I'm not sure that's what you meant.

AaronZZZ
AaronZZZ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nope.

I am well aware that any scientists in all fields of research are theist, deist, and atheist alike. What I meant was that I feel science is a important part of understanding atheism because to me atheism is just a side note to truly understanding our world as a whole in every sense. I came to atheism through studying theology, history, psychology, astronomy, biology, and geography among others. I came to the conclusion of atheism because with understanding these fields atheism makes complete sense were as all theologies and mythologies make no sense to me in light of understanding these fields.

I guess i should have worded that a little bit better, i am sorry for the misunderstanding : )

Mr. Triple Z

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
The theist AaronZZZ was

The theist AaronZZZ was debating referred to science as being as much of a leap of faith as religion.

This is the Tu Quoque logical fallacy: two wrongs make right.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I would have worded

I would have worded it:

'Science presents a worldview, which could be a subject of atheism'

Smiling

AaronZZZ
AaronZZZ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well thanks

Well thanks for that.......Tongue out

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Science doesn't present a

Science doesn't present a world view. Science shows the reality of the world we live in.