The Pill contraceptive is hurting the environment?

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Pill contraceptive is hurting the environment?

http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/view/1350/36/

Is this really possible? I'm no where near well versed in science in general. Perhaps someone could offer some insight on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

From the article:

When EPA-funded scientists at the University of Colorado studied fish in a pristine mountain stream known as Boulder Creek two years ago, they were shocked. Randomly netting 123 trout and other fish downstream from the city’s sewer plant, they found that 101 were female, 12 were male, and 10 were strange “intersex” fish with male and female features.

It’s “the first thing that I’ve seen as a scientist that really scared me,” said then 59-year-old University of Colorado biologist John Woodling, speaking to the Denver Post in 2005.

They studied the fish and decided the main culprits were estrogens and other steroid hormones from birth control pills and patches, excreted in urine into the city’s sewage system and then into the creek.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our water supply is filled

Our water supply is filled with medicines of all sorts.  Sewage treatment plants are unable to filter out these contaminents and thereby affect the organisms in the water.

On the other hand without contraception we'd have the pollution the increased population will produce. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: They

pariahjane wrote:
They studied the fish and decided the main culprits were estrogens and other steroid hormones from birth control pills and patches, excreted in urine into the city’s sewage system and then into the creek.

What did they base their decision on?  I mean, I could look at that and decide it was based on nearly anything being in the water.  It could also be nature's way of balancing herself.  

If their goal is to raise a warning that this situation needs to be investigated, I agree, but it doesn't look like that is their main objective.