"Patriot Pastor " wants to "Take America Back for God"

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Patriot Pastor " wants to "Take America Back for God"

Here we go again! This time tele-evangelist Rod Parsley is joining the effort to "Take America Back for God." Since when did the christian right ever lose it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Televangelist and “Patriot Pastor” leader Rod Parsley announced that he will be taking part in an effort to “take America back for God through the power of prayer” during the 400th anniversary celebration of the founding of the Virginia colony at Jamestown. The “Consecration Conference” at “Assembly 2007” will also feature several other familiar religious-right stars, including Pat Robertson, Bishop Wellington Boone, Harry Jackson, and John Hagee. If you can’t make it to Virginia Beach next month, don’t worry – you can still take part in this effort to declare America a Christian nation by purchasing a “One Nation Under God” commemorative cross.

more at link

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Let's take back America in

Let's take back America in the name of reason

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Of course, he wants

Of course, he wants everyone to PURCHASE something.  Gotta keep those coffers full.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Notice Parsley want to take

Notice Parsley want to take America back for God through the power of prayer. If only all they would do was pray. It would be much easier to maintain church/state separation.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Take back America for God?

Take back America for God? I thought the rapture-men had a direct fucking telephone line implanted in their head to God? Surely He doesn't need such fallible men doing what he can achieve quite well on his own, if he actually existed.

The fact that people like this exist makes me extremely depressed. You would have to completely stifle free thought, reason, logic and sanity. I would venture to guess that such men had never thought an indepedent thought in their lives.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
From his website: " During

From his website: " During four days, April 26 - 29, Christians will gather in Virginia to rededicate America to God."

My question is when was America ever dedicated to God in the first place? How can one take it back to what it never was?

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Treaty of Tripoli, 1797

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/treaty_tripoli.html

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: Notice

MrRage wrote:
Notice Parsley want to take America back for God through the power of prayer. If only all they would do was pray. It would be much easier to maintain church/state separation.

And that's exactly the problem. They do more than pray. Their activism is at a grass roots level and since the rise of the Christian right in the mid-70's, we've had to witness a once reasonably fiscal responsible political party turn into a dumping ground for fanatisim. They've successfully got gay marriage banned in several states and almost succeeded in banning abortion and family planning rights in South Dakota.

Most of their campaigns involved human reproduction and sexuality. Most recently the morning after pill and vaccine for cervical cancer have been their targets.   

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
What an absolute bunch of

What an absolute bunch of idiots! I'm so glad I live thousands of miles away. If you ever want to flee a potential theocratic state I'll be willing to aid you.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
“take America back for God

“take America back for God through the power of prayer”

Sweet. Nothing will happen.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haha!! "Please God. Take

Haha!!

"Please God. Take America back. We'd really like it if you did. Amen."

*Cosmic indifference ensues*

It would be worrying if they used political means, revolution/democracy etc.